15. THE CARMELITE FRIARS OF BRIDPORT
In a letter of which the superscription is lost
the writer, who represents himself as the special
protector of the Carmelite order, requests his
correspondent 'to permit the friars to perform
divine offices without molestation or difficulty in
the oratory which they have built at Bridport.
The letter was probably written by Cardinal
Ottobon, papal legate in England 1265 to 1268,
to Walter de la Wyle, bishop of Salisbury. (fn. 70)
In 1269 the Carmelites of Bridport received a
legacy of 2s. from Christina de Strikelane,
widow, of Bridport. (fn. 71)
The house had only a brief existence. In
1365 Sir John Chideock, knt., applied for licence
to confer on the provincial prior and Carmelite
Friars of England 3 acres of land in Bridport for
the establishment of a friary, together with a
mill the profits of which would supply them
with bread, wine, wax, and other things
necessary for celebrating masses. An inquiry
being held, the jurors declared that the grant
would be injurious to the patron and rector of
the church of Bridport, and the licence was
not given. (fn. 72) It would appear from this that the
original settlement had either ceased to exist or
that the friars were for some reason compelled
to vacate their premises. No further attempt
to re-establish the Carmelites in Bridport appears
to have been made.
||Bodl. MS. Laud. Misc. 645, fol. 135; other
letters in the collection appear to have been written by
a papal legate about this time.
||Hutchins, Hist. of Dorset (ed. 3), ii, 19.
||Inq. a.q.d. file 355, No. 13. The writ says 10a.,
the return 3a.