33. THE HOSPITAL OF BICESTER
In 1355 Nicholas Jurdan, a hermit, obtained
the king's licence to found again (de novo fundare)
a hospital in connexion with a certain chapel of
St. John the Baptist, of which he was warden,
and to endow it with land and rent of the value
of 100s. a year. (fn. 1) Evidently this was not the
beginning of the hospital: it was already in existence; Jurdan was its warden, and the chapel
of St. John was its chapel; but now it was to
be endowed, and in this sense to be 'founded
again.' That this purpose was accomplished
there is no evidence, and we do not hear any
more of an endowed hospital at Bicester.
||Dunkin, Hist. of Bicester, 116.