Hospitals
Pirho

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R.M. Serjeantson, W.R.D. Adkins (editors)

Year published

1906

Supporting documents

Page

163

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hospitals: Pirho', A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 2 (1906), pp. 163. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40532 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

35. THE HOSPITAL OF PIRHO

It has usually been assumed that the hospital of Pirho of early establishment became united with the collegiate church of Cotterstock during the reign of Edward III., and thereafter ceased to have an independent existence. But this was by no means the case; the advowson of Pirho hospital and priory was simply conferred on the college so that the warden and fellows continued to present the master or chaplain until dissolution of both houses.

One of the earliest references to this house occurs in a final concord of 1282, by which the manor of Cotterstock, the advowson of the church, two mills at Pirho, and the advowson of the priory of Pirho, were transferred from John de Cameys to John de Kyrkeby. Another final concord was arranged at Westminster in 1307, whereby the manor and advowson, etc., of Cotterstock, and the advowson of the priory of Pirho, then held as the dower of Christiana, widow of William de Kyrkeby, were to be transferred on her death to John de Houly and his heirs. (fn. 11)

This hospital, which had the exceptional joint dedication of St. John and St. Martin, was re-ordained by Bishop Burghersh in May, 1329, when the inmates consisted of three chaplains, one of whom was to be prior; the habit was to be black or russet. (fn. 12)

The foundation charter of Cotterstock College in 1338 contains the grant made to it of the advowson of the hospital of Pirho. (fn. 13)

By the time of Henry VIII. Pirho seems to have ceased to exercise any hospital functions, and was merely a beneficed chantry. The Valor of 1535 gives its clear annual value at £5 9s. 9d. (fn. 14) It is styled a 'free chapel' by the commissioners of Henry VIII. and Edward VI., with a priest to sing there; the chapel is described as distant three-quarters of a mile from the parish church of Southwick, and covered with lead. (fn. 15)

The priors, masters, or chaplains of this hospital were subject to episcopal institution, and their names appear in due succession in the diocesan registers from 1289.

Priors or Masters of Pirho

Philip of Putesle, (fn. 16) instituted 1290, died 1305

Simon of Daventry, (fn. 17) instituted 1305, died 1310

John of Wynceby, (fn. 18) instituted 1310

John of Veer, (fn. 19) instituted 1330

Henry of Veer, (fn. 20) died 1344

Robert of St. Neotts, (fn. 21) instituted 1344

John of Aylington, (fn. 22) died 1358

John Quarrell, (fn. 23) instituted 1373

John Aungevyn, (fn. 24) 1382

Thomas Andrew, (fn. 25) instituted 1382

Walter Muskham, (fn. 26) instituted 1427, died 1432

Thomas Leuer, (fn. 27) instituted 1432, resigned 1438

William Appulton, (fn. 28) instituted 1438, died 1444

Richard Andrew, (fn. 29) instituted 1444

Henry Fyfeld, (fn. 30) died 1489

John Kyng, (fn. 31) instituted 1489, died 1497

Robert Dethyk, (fn. 32) instituted 1497, resigned 1518

Robert Barnard, (fn. 33) instituted 1518

Footnotes

11 Soc. of Antiq. MS. xxxviii. f. 119.
12 Linc. Epis. Reg. Burghersh, f. 184.
13 Chart. R. 12 Edw. III. No. 15.
14 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv. 293.
15 Coll. and Chant. Certificates, Nos. xxxv. 138, xxxvi. 17.
16 The death of the preceding master is recorded in 1289. Linc. Epis. Reg. Inst. of Sutton, f. 46.
17 Ibid. Inst. of Dalderby, f. 107d.
18 Ibid. f. 117d.
19 Ibid. Inst. of Burghersh, f. 184.
20 Ibid. Inst. of Beck, f. 61.
21 Ibid.
22 Ibid. Inst. of Gynwell, f. 173.
23 Ibid. Inst. of Bokyngham, f. 192.
24 Ibid. f. 210.
25 Ibid.
26 Ibid. Inst. of Fleming, f. 73.
27 Ibid. Inst. of Gray, f. 24.
28 Ibid. Inst. of Alnwick, f. 118.
29 Ibid. f. 130.
30 Ibid. Inst. of Russell, f. 69.
31 Ibid.
32 Ibid. Inst. of Smith, f. 188.
33 Ibid. Inst. of Atwater, f. 22. Robert Barnard was a fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford; he also held the chaplaincy of Brackley Hospital, in the gift of that college.