Long time user?
Survey of London: volumes 29 and 30: St James Westminster, Part 1
F. H. W. Sheppard (General Editor)
List of abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
Addenda / corrigenda
Any material between chevrons <> has come to light since publication. Anyone interested in the sources for this new material should contact the Survey of London
'Pall Mall, South Side, Past Buildings: Nos 101-103 (consec.) Pall Mall', Survey of London: volumes 29 and 30: St James Westminster, Part 1 (1960), pp. 350. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40587 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
Nos. 101–103 (consec.) Pall Mall
Occupied part of the site of the Reform Club
Between 1790 and 1836 these three buildings
were occupied by John Crooke and Co., haberdashers and hosiers, (ref. 44) though the firm did not
occupy all the premises for the whole of this
period. No. 102 was situated at the rear of No.
101. (ref. 45) In 1790 (Sir) John Soane designed a shopfront for the firm (presumably at No. 103) and
carried out various alterations to their premises in
the same year. (ref. 46) The three houses were demolished in 1836–7 for the Reform Club. (ref. 34)
Coney's elevation (pocket, drawing B) shows
that No. 103 had a modest three-storeyed front of
about 1700, or earlier, with three widely spaced
windows in each upper storey. The shop-front
could well be the one designed by Soane in 1790,
with segmental bows flanking the door. No. 101
was a plain house, slightly narrower than its neighbour on the east, four storeys high and three windows wide, with no features of note other than an
enriched Doric doorcase.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd