No. 79 Pall Mall
Previous history of this site is described on page 377
The present No. 79 Pall Mall was built between 1866 and 1868 (ref. 3) for the Eagle Insurance
Company (ref. 187) from the designs of David Brandon. (ref. 188) The house which had previously stood on
the site was demolished in the summer of 1866. (ref. 187)
Between 1894 and 1896 the company made
extensive alterations and improvements on the
ground floor. (ref. 187) This work included the construction of a new porch in the easternmost bay of the
Pall Mall front, and a one-storey extension at
the back of the building. The architect was
J. Macvicar Anderson of 6 Stratton Street. (ref. 189) The
upper floors and basement were arranged for subletting, with a separate entrance to the west of the
new porch. Between 1895 and 1916 part of these
premises were occupied by the Baldwin Whist
Club. (ref. 187) In 1917 the Eagle Insurance Company
amalgamated with the British Dominions Insurance Company. (ref. 190) As the Eagle Star Insurance
Company they now occupy both Nos. 78 and
79 Pall Mall.
The stone façade is designed in a style that is
reminiscently Venetian. Each of the three
storeys contains three openings, those in the
ground storey consisting of a wide round-arched
window flanked by doorways, narrower but also
round-arched. The porch before the eastern
doorway, which is in the Doric style with a pediment and rusticated columns, clashes with the
original design and destroys its symmetry. In the
second storey are three round-arched windows
with enriched archivolts springing from marble
pilasters. The windows in the third storey are
plain with flat heads, but above them run an ornate
frieze of festooned eagles and a prominent
modillion cornice crowned by the elaborately
pedimented and pilastered fronts of three dormer
||Deeds and papers in the possession of the Eagle
Star Insurance Co. Ltd.; P.O.D.
Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects, 3rd series, vol. 4, pp. 144–5.
||C.E.O., file 11412.
The Times, 8 May 1917.