Long time user?
Victoria County History
A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2
William Page (editor)
'Hospitals: Taunton', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 2 (1911), pp. 158. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=40947 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
33. THE HOSPITAL OF TAUNTON
The master and leprous brethren of Taunton
received royal protection in 1236, (fn. 139) which was
also granted to 'the brethren of St. Margaret's
without Taunton' in 1278 (fn. 140) and again under
the title of the hospital of the Holy Ghost and
St. Margaret, in 1334. (fn. 141) Canon Richard
Bruton in 1417 (fn. 142) left 20s. to the 'spytelhouse'
of Taunton, which is called a lazar-house in
the will of Elizabeth Speke in 1537. (fn. 143) It
survived the changes at the Reformation, as in
1552 (fn. 144) Thomas Brocke left 6s. 8d. 'to the
poor in the spittell house at Taunton,' and it
has continued to the present time as an almshouse.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd