No. 16 Soho Square
The early history of the house on this site has
been described above with that of No. 12. Sir
Halsewell Tynte, first baronet, was living here in
1691, Sir John Keys in 1692 and Lady Riddell
(? Ridley) in 1703. From at least 1706 to 1755
the house was occupied by various members of
the Ridley family, including Colonel Ridley from
1727 to 1731. D'Almaine and Company,
music sellers and musical-instrument makers who
also occupied No. 20, were here from 1851 to
1854. (ref. 33)
In 1896 the house was demolished to allow for
the erection of a new building for Messrs. Orme
and Sons, a firm of billiard-table manufacturers
which had occupied the old house since 1891.
The new building contained showrooms and
workrooms with a billiard saloon in the basement.
The architects were J. T. Wimperis and Arber
and the contractors Johnson and Company. (ref. 95)
The design of the front has some merit (Plate
71a). It is faced with buff-coloured Doulton
terra-cotta and is of four main storeys with a
fifth in a semi-circular gable. A shallow bay
window rises through the first and second storeys,
the first floor having a balcony with a wroughtiron railing and the ground floor a large roundarched window flanked by a pair of doorways.
The Builder, 31 Oct. 1896, p. 358.