No. 28 Soho Square
The building of this house has been described
above. Unsigned designs for it are in the library
of the Royal Institute of British Architects. (ref. 280)
Occupants have included George Colman,
dramatist and manager of the Haymarket Theatre,
1776–87, Sir Hugh Inglis, baronet, M.P.,
director of the East India Company, 1803–13;
and Joseph Hume, Radical M.P., 1822–32.
From 1834 to 1860 the house was used as the
recruiting office for the military service of the
East India Company. (ref. 118) In 1862 it was purchased from the Crown for the rector of St.
Anne's as a parsonage house, (ref. 281) and remained in
this use until 1935. In 1937 No. 28 and the
adjoining house to the east, No. 27, were demolished for the erection of the present Nos.
27–28 (Nascreno House).
The drawings relating to this house comprise a
front elevation and five floor plans (Plate 77). (ref. 280)
The interior was evidently arranged on conventional lines, each of the principal floors having
a large front room, a fair-sized back room, and a
small room beyond the spacious staircase compartment. The plan forms are interesting and
show that the interior was architecturally attractive. The wide hall was divided into three crossvaulted compartments; the dining-room (groundfloor front) had a sideboard recess flanked by
segmental-curved walls containing doors; the
second drawing-room (first-floor back) was apseended, with niches flanking the door to the front
room, and even the small room was bay-ended.
The front appears to have been built in accordance with the drawing, and photographs show a
well-proportioned front of simple but elegant
design, four storeys high and three windows wide.
The doorway was on the left of the two groundstorey windows, which were widely spaced like
those in the upper storeys. The sashes were
recessed in plain openings, having stone sills,
stuccoed reveals, and flat arches of gauged brickwork. The brick face of the front was relieved
with a plain bandcourse at first-floor level, and
below the attic storey was a narrow frieze and
small cornice, the former ornamented with fluting between paterae. Artificial stone was probably
used for these members, and for the doorcase
framing the tall doorway with a wide moulded
architrave, flanked by half-pilasters and surmounted by a frieze of fluting and paterae, and
a plain cornice. The front area-railing, of simple
design with vase-crowned standards, was contemporary with the house, but the cast-iron
balconies to the lengthened windows of the first
floor were additions.
||R.I.B.A. Library, L6/6.