Sutton Row is marked on Ogilby and Morgan's
map of 1681–2 (Plate 2) as Giles Street, but until
1938 was usually known as Sutton Street. It
first appears in the ratebooks in 1691, and probably takes its name from Sutton Court, Chiswick,
the country house of Thomas, first Earl Fauconberg, (ref. 99) who lived at the adjoining No. 20 Soho
Square from at least 1683 until his death in 1700.
A mews on the north side of Sutton Row, now
called Falconberg Mews but previously Bow
Street, Sutton Place or Falconbridge or Falconer
Court, serves the backs of Nos. 18–21 Soho Square
and from this mews there is a narrow alley, now
Falconberg Court, which leads into Charing Cross
Road (formerly Crown Street or Hog Lane).
Both the mews and the alley are mentioned by
Strype, writing in 1720, who refers to the alley
as Tucker's Court. (ref. 16)
Most of the ground on either side of Sutton
Row is now occupied by No. 21 Soho Square and
St. Patrick's Church. There are no other
buildings of interest here, or in Falconberg Mews
||P.C.C., 87 Dyer.
||John Strype, A Survey of the Cities of London and
Westminster, 1720, vol. II, bk. VI, p. 87.