Townships
Fazakerley

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Pages

28-31

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Fazakerley', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 28-31. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41284 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

FAZAKERLEY

Fazakerley, 1321; Phesacrelegh, 1333.

In the thirteenth century Fazakerley was one of the Walton town fields, adjoining which, as the woodlands were cleared, there grew up a hamlet and ultimately a township. Extending about two miles in each direction, this township has an area of 1,709 acres. (fn. 1) It is separated from Walton by the brook called Fazakerley or Tue Brook, and from West Derby partly by Sugar Brook up to the point where it is spanned by Stone bridge. At the junction of these brooks on the border of Kirkby in the north-east the lowest level, about 50 ft. above the Ordnance datum, is reached; the greatest height is about 100 ft., on the south side of the township. The country is extremely flat and treeless, with nothing to recommend it to the passer-by, for it seems to be a district of straight lines, devoid of any beauty. Rather bare fields on the south and east under mixed cultivation give some variety to the pasture land. The geological formation is triassic, the southern part of the township consisting of pebble beds, and the northern part of the upper mottled sandstone of the bunter series. The population in 1901 numbered 1,887.

Agriculture is the chief occupation, but the jam works established here have attained considerable magnitude, and on the Aintree border have given name to a little town known as Hartley's Village.

The Lancashire and Yorkshire Company's railway from Liverpool to Manchester crosses the township with a station called Fazakerley, near which is a junction with the branch line to the Liverpool docks. Here are the company's signal works. The Cheshire Lines Committee's railways from Liverpool to Southport and to the Mersey docks also pass through the township.

The cottage homes for the children of the West Derby Union are situated near the station. Harbreck House has been transformed into an infectious diseases hospital by the Liverpool Corporation. The Everton Burial Board have a cemetery, and the Jewish connexion have a small burial-ground on the Walton border. The West Derby sewage farm occupies the eastern edge of the township.


Fazakerley of Fazakerley. Ermine, three bars vert.

The township was included in the City of Liverpool in 1905.

MANOR

The early history of the manor is obscure, Henry and Richard de Fazakerley, the first of the local family on record, appearing towards the end of the thirteenth century. (fn. 2) Richard had three sons— Henry, Richard, and Robert; (fn. 3) and Henry's son Robert de Fazakerley was lord of the manor for about forty years. (fn. 4) After his death the succession is again uncertain. Robert de Fazakerley, who married Ellen de Walton and claimed her father's manor, obtaining a third part, emerges in the first quarter of the fifteenth century; (fn. 5) and later, Thomas son and heir of Roger. (fn. 6) The visitations of 1613 and 1664 place on record a few generations. (fn. 7) The family adhered to the Roman Catholic faith at the Reformation, (fn. 8) and to the king's side in the civil war, Nicholas Fazakerley losing his life in the cause at Liverpool in 1643. (fn. 9) The family estates were sold by the Parliament, (fn. 10) though probably much was recovered. Spellow and the third part of Walton manor were alienated about 1726. (fn. 11) Fazakerley, however, was retained or recovered, and in the eighteenth century the family is stated to have conformed to the Established Church.

The estates passed to John Hawarden, who took the name of Fazakerley, (fn. 12) and afterwards to Henry Gillibrand, of Chorley, who took the name of Hawarden Fazakerley; his son Henry dying childless, the daughters succeeded. The eldest, Matilda, married in 1863 Jocelyn Tate Westby, of Mowbreck, who assumed the name of Fazakerley-Westby. (fn. 13) The manor of Fazakerley, however, had been sold about 1820. In 1825 the hall was the residence of Richard Bullin, nephew of Thomas Leyland, of the adjacent Walton Hall; (fn. 14) these properties have since descended together.

The Molyneux family of Sefton (fn. 15) claimed a manor here in virtue of their holding; other families of the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries which may be named were the Bridges, (fn. 16) Tarletons, (fn. 17) Stananoughts, (fn. 18) and Whitfields. (fn. 19) The ancient family of Stonebridgeley appears to have died out, (fn. 20) but the place of this name was known in 1639. (fn. 21) Edward Fazakerley of Maghull, and Robert Turner of Fazakerley, were among the church surveyors of 1650. (fn. 22) As 'papists' Percival and Thomas Rice of Liverpool, and William Harrison of Rainford, registered estates here in 1717. (fn. 23)

Samuel Hawarden Fazakerley, John Fazakerley, John Atherton, and Richard Higginson were the chief contributors to the land tax of 1785.

A schoolhouse was built in 1725 by Samuel Turner.

Emmanuel church was in 1902 licensed for service under the rector of Walton.

Footnotes

1 1,710, including four of inland water, Census Report, 1901.
2 Henry de Fazakerley in 1276 recovered possession of half a messuage, a horse-mill, and 15 acres of land in Walton; Assize R. 405, m. 3 d. Richard de Fazakerley was one of the tenants of Richard de Walton in 1292; Assize R. 408, m. 61 d, 23. Richard de Fazakerley and Henry his son were witnesses to a grant by Richard, lord of Walton, to Robert Cawdran of land in Fazakerley, with free entry to moor and wood and other easements; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 157. Richard was also a witness to a grant by his son Henry to Robert his brother, with various easements in 'the vill of Walton'; ibid. fol. 158b.
3 Henry made grants to his brothers. To Richard he gave land adjoining the field of Fazakerley and with housebote and heybote and quittance of pannage in the wood of Walton; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 154b. To Robert he made two grants; one of these was in Fazakerley in the Little Ley, from the lane to the ditch of the Bancroft, with easements in Walton; ibid. fol. 155, 155b; see also Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 243.
These brothers had descendants. There was besides a family descended from Margery de Fazakerley; Harl. MS. 2042, fols. 154–9, contains a number of their charters. Thus Henry de Fazakerley granted to John son of Margery, Allyscroft in Fazakerley, one end of it touching the lane; fol. 156. To John son of Richard de Fazakerley, Richard son of Henry de Walton made a grant; fol. 155. John had several sons. Richard was the principal; he gave to his son John in 1339 land between the North brook and the land of another son, William; fol. 154. Alan son of John, son of Margery, had grants from Richard Cordewan and Robert son of John in 1325; fol. 155b. In 1349 John son of Richard gave all his hereditary lands in the vill of Fazakerley, with liberties in the vill of Walton, to Henry son of John de Acres; fol. 154. These charters contain a number of local names; e.g. Fernicroft, Woodflat, Raydegate, Fediwell, the Aldherth, Henheyde, Old Orchard; also names of other tenants—Harebergh, Kekewich, Thornton, and others. A charter of this branch (1325) is printed in Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), i, 161.
Henry son of Margery had a grant from Ellen daughter of William, son of Richard de Fazakerley, of land called the Twafalward, lying by the field of Henry Bullock and touching the brook; Kuerden, iii, W. 10, n. 3. In this collection are grants from William and Thomas sons of Gilbert, son of Robert de Fazakerley; ibid. n. 21, 22. The former seems to be the William son of Robert, son of Henry de Fazakerley, of other deeds; n. 19, 23.
4 Robert de Fazakerley attested many of the grants referred to down to 1349, while as early as 1315 he gave a portion of meadow to Richard son of John son of Margery; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 154b. In 1323 a deed by him mentions his son Richard, who was himself a grantor in 1329; fol. 156, 155b. A son Henry also occurs in 1329; fol. 156. Another of Robert's grants is dated 1338; fol. 158. One of Henry son of Robert's grants, made in 1339, is printed in Crosse D. (Trans. Hist. Soc.), n. 50.
In 1344 John son of Richard de Thingwall made a claim against Simon de Walton and Eleanor his wife, and Henry son of Robert de Fazakerley; Assize R. 1435, m. 34. Robert son of Henry de Fazakerley was a plaintiff concerning land in Walton in 1352, Simon de Walton being the defendant; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. j d. In another case at the same time Richard son of Henry, son of Robert de Fazakerley, was plaintiff; ibid. m. iij. Three years later Robert de Fazakerley was plaintiff in a case in which Richard son of John was one of the defendants; ibid. R. 4, m. 20. Henry son of Robert took action against the same defendant in the following year; ibid. R. 5, m. 1; and at the same time another Henry, the son of Richard, was plaintiff against John son of Richard, son of John; ibid. R. 5, m. 14 d.
Next appears Hugh de Fazakerley (or several of the name). In the year just named, 1356, Hugh son of Robert, son of Henry de Fazakerley, brought a suit against Robert son of William de Walton; ibid. R. 5, m. 21. In the next year Hugh son and heir of Richard, son and heir of Robert was plaintiff; ibid. R. 6, m. 2; and Henry (? Hugh) son of Richard, the son and heir of Robert de Fazakerley, made a claim upon Dionysia the daughter of William son of Richard de Fazakerley; ibid. R. 6, m. 7 d. In this indecisive state of the evidence it can only be remarked that Hugh de Fazakerley seems to be the next important member of the family after Robert; he accompanied the duke of Lanc, to Brittany about 1356 to 1359; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxii, App. PP. 336, 339. In 1360 he was defendant in a suit concerning a messuage in Walton brought by John son of John del Bridge; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 8, m. 4. In 1379 Isabel widow of Hugh de Fazakerley gave a release of actions to John de Taylor and Henry de Fazakerley, the executors; Towneley MS. GG, n. 2491. She was perhaps the Isabel, widow of John de Toxteth, who in 1419 was bound to Robert and John de Fazakerley; ibid. n. 2831.
In 1376 Thomas de Fazakerley acquired messuages in Liverpool; and by fine, in which Roger de Fazakerley was one plaintiff, a messuage and 80 acres of land and wood in Walton were secured to Nicholas de Farington and Katherine his wife for life, with a remainder to William son of Thomas, son of Thomas de Fazakerley; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 190, 192. Thomas de Fazakerley purchased lands in Walton in 1381; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 1, m. 12. William de Fazakerley was concerned in 1384 in a fine concerning the lands of Richard de Halsall and Emma his wife; ibid. bdle. 1, m. 21. Thomas de Fazakerley had licence for an oratory within his manor of Derby in 1382; Lich. Reg. v, fol. 35b. The same or a later Thomas was godfather to Thomas le Norreys of West Derby in 1402; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 11. The Richard de Halsall just named had a son Gilbert mentioned in local deeds.
A prominent member of the family is Roger de Fazakerley, to whom and to Joan his wife letters of protection were granted by the duke of Lanc, in 1382; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xl, App. p. 521. In the same year the bishop of Lichfield allowed him to have divine service in every oratory within his manors in the diocese; Lich. Reg. v, fol. 35b. This Roger and Joan occur discreditably in the story of the Lathoms; see Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 18–20. Thomas de Fazakerley was one of Roger's sureties in 1384; ibid, i, 21.
5 See the account of Walton. Robert de Fazakerley occurs as a witness to local charters. In 1411, when Thomas de Fazakerley made a feoffment of certain lands in the township both Robert and John de Fazakerley attested; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 159.
In a suit of 1593 the descent is thus given: Roger Fazakerley, son and heir of Ellen, daughter of Robert de Walton—s. Thomas—s. Nicholas—s. Roger—s. Robert (defendant); Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 273, m. 23.
6 In 1476, Thomas son and heir of the late Roger Fazakerley of West Derby released to William son of John Lightwood of Tattenhall all his right to the lands of John Cropper within the lordship of Fazakerley; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 159.
Nicholas Fazakerley was reckoned among the gentry of the hundred in 1512.
7 Printed by the Chet. Soc.; Vis. of 1613, p. 78; Vis. of 1664–5, p. 108. The succession given is: Roger, Robert, Nicholas, Robert (died 5 April, 1643), Nicholas (aged 11 in 1613, and died Oct. 1643), Nicholas (aged 28 in 1664), who married Winefride, daughter of Edward Tarleton of Aigburth.
The only inquisition remaining is that concerning Robert, the second in this descent. He died 13 Feb. 1589–90, his son and heir Nicholas being then thirtyseven years of age. The manor of Walton and Fazakerley was held of Henry earl of Derby in free socage; viz. by fealty and the yearly rent of 20s.; thus Fazakerley was not accounted a separate manor; the rent is the due proportion of the old thanage rent of Walton. There were also lands in West Derby, the family being sometimes called 'of West Derby,' held of the queen by a rent of 42s.; and in Bedford, Pemberton, Wigan, and Liverpool; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m. xv, n. 20.
Nicholas Fazakerley the son made a settlement of his estates in 1595; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 57, m. 104. He was buried at Walton 19 March, 1611–12.
A settlement of Robert Fazakerley's manor of Fazakerley and other lands was made by fine in 1632; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 119, m. 39.
8 Nicholas Fazakerley, under the alias of Ashton, was admitted to the English College at Rome in 1623, giving his age as 23; he left for England in 1626. His brother Thomas, who entered in 1629, aged 18, under the same alias, stated that he was 'born and brought up in Lancashire, his parents were of high family and always Catholics. His friends were likewise of the upper class, some being Catholics and some heretics. He had made his humanities at St. Omer's for five years.' He was made priest and returned to England in 1636, being buried at the Harkirk in 1665; Foley, Rec. S. J. vi, 302, 320.
9 This statement is quoted by Bishop Challoner and Mr. Gillow from Lord Castlemain's Cath. Apology. Liverpool was captured by the Parliamentarians about the end of April or beginning of May, 1643 (Picton, Memorials, i, 90); and it will be seen from the dates given at the visit. that Robert Fazakerley died before this date, and Nicholas after it.
10 The lands both of Robert and Nicholas Fazakerley, deceased, were confiscated for treason by the Act of 1652; Index of Royalists (Index Soc.), 42.
Petitions were made on behalf of Nicholas Fazakerley, the heir, described as of Spellow House, being then about sixteen years of age; as also on behalf of Catherine his mother, Anne the widow of Robert his grandfather, and Margaret, an unmarried sister of Robert. Roger Breres of Walton, who had married a daughter of Robert Fazakerley, deposed that Nicholas and his brothers Robert and Richard were all dead; Robert the father had died at Chester about 1643, Nicholas at Liverpool within a year after, Robert the younger in the Indies, and Richard in Ireland about 1642. A settlement of December, 1638, in relation to the marriage of Nicholas son of Robert was made of the capital messuage called Fazakerley Hall; and Spellow House, and all the manors and lands of Robert Fazakerley in Fazakerley, Walton, Liverpool, and Wigan, including Spellow mill; a considerable number of field names are given. The Books of Seizure of Convicted Recusants were produced, and showed that Robert Fazakerley's estates were under sequestration for recusancy and delinquency. Robert's estate at Spellow House and Diglake was farmed. Anne Fazakerley, widow, petitioned for a third part of the unsequestered third of her husband's estate, which had been seized. Margaret Fazakerley, in virtue of a deed of 1609, had a right to an annuity of £24 out of her father's estate, but being a popish recusant it was ordered that she should only have a third part of it, the other two parts being disposed of for the public use. The documents are given in Royalist Comp. P. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 295–313.
11 In 1717 Robert Fazakerley of Walton registered an estate at Liverpool, Fazakerley, &c., of the annual value of £187 10s. 10¾d., charged with six guineas to his sister Anne; Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 112.
At the beginning of 1723 Robert Fazakerley of Liverpool, and Robert Fazakerley, merchant, his son and heir-apparent, mortgaged Spellow House and lands for £800 to Mary Richmond, widow; and in 1726 and 1727 Robert, the son, and Sarah, the widow, of the elder Robert Fazakerley, were concerned in deeds regarding the father's lands; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 222, 196, 232, quoting 8th and 9th Rolls of Geo. I, and 1st and 2nd of Geo. II at Preston.
12 Robert Fazakerley, the younger, by his will dated 1 Oct. 1730, left the estates to John, eldest son of Bryan Hawarden, late of Liverpool, mariner, deceased, and his heirs male; with remainders to William Hawarden, brother of John; to the heirs male of Mary, sister of the testator and wife of Edward Barrett; to Ellen, daughter of Nicholas Fazakerley, deceased; and to Robert Webster, son of Dorothy, daughter of Nicholas Fazakerley. John Hawarden was to take the name of Fazakerley; Piccope MSS. ii, 3; iii, 196, 242, 240, quoting from Roman Catholic deeds enrolled at Preston.
From the Ormskirk Registers it appears that John Hawarden Fazakerley, gent. in Sept. 1748, married Anne Parr of Ormskirk, by licence; a son Robert was buried 1 June, 1751. The curious marriage covenant is in Piccope MSS. iii, 354.
In Ormskirk church is a laudatory epitaph commemorating Anne, widow of John Hawarden Fazakerley, erected in 1800 by her son Samuel Hawarden Fazakerley of Fazakerley.
13 Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. ii, 232, 233.
These Gillibrands were of the same family, Thomas Hawarden, who died in 1787, having taken the surname of Gillibrand. His grandson Henry took the name of Fazakerley in 1814 pursuant to the will of Samuel Hawarden Fazakerley; Piccope MSS. Pedigrees, ii, 339.
Some deeds of a minor family are given by Kuerden, ii, fol. 228b. In 1513 Richard, son and heir of Peter Fazakerley of Fazakerley, enfeoffed Nicholas Fazakerley of West Derby and others of all his lands; at the same time he seems to have married Ellen, daughter of Richard Rose of West Derby. He left five daughters coheirs to his capital messuage called Stockley and lands in Fazakerley; they were: Ellen, wife of Richard Longworth; Alice, wife of James Walker; Katherine: Margaret, wife of William Wolfall; and Grace, wife of Richard Stockley.
There was also a family known as 'Fazakerley of the Clock house,' from their residence on the border of Croxteth Park, now part of the sewage farm of West Derby.
14 Baines, Lancs. Dir. ii, 713.
15 See the account of Walton. The Molyneux holding was obtained chiefly by purchase from the Bullock family. In 1321 Robert Bullock granted all his lands in Walton and Fazakerley to William his son; another son Richard is mentioned; Croxteth D.K. 1. Alan de Whike granted in 1323 part of his land in Hey in Fazakerley to Henry son of William Bullock, at a yearly rent of 2d.; with remainders to Thomas and Richard, brothers of Henry; ibid. K, 2.
John Bullock in 1394 made grants of his lands in Walton and Fazakerley to his son Richard, with remainders to his other children, Thomas and Margaret; ibid. K, 4, 5. John Bullock, perhaps the same person, enfeoffed William del Heath of all his lands in Fazakerley within the vill of Walton in 1420; these were sold in 1433 to Sir Richard Molyneux, John Bullock releasing all his right in the same; ibid. K, 10–14. Previously Robert the Hunt and Emmota his wife, daughter of Richard Bullock, had sold to Sir Richard the lands in the vills of Fazakerley and Walton, which had descended to her from her father; ibid. K, 8 and 9, dated 1423 and 1433. Roger Norris and Alice his wife, probably another daughter, in 1436 sold lands formerly Richard Bullock's to the same Sir Richard Molyneux; ibid. K, 15.
In 1446 Sir Richard assigned lands in Great Sankey, Fazakerley, and Walton, to trustees for the benefit of Katherine Aughton; ibid. K, 16–18.
In the inquisition taken after the death of Sir Richard Molyneux in 1623, the manor of Walton and Fazakerley is named among his possessions; Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), iii, 389.
16 The Bridge family occur early, but no connected account can be given of them; they probably took their name from the bridge over the Alt just at the border of Fazakerley and West Derby.
Kuerden has preserved a number of their charters (vol. iii, W, 10, 11), and among them the following: (1) William son of Richard de Walton about 1300 gave to John del Bridge various lands, in exchange for those lands which William son of Henry de Walton had given to John the chaplain, reserving a fee for the chaplain of St. Paulinus. (9) In 1308 he gave to John del Bridge and Hawise his wife some land newly approved. (10) This John in 1325–6granted certain lands to his son John, including some he had before assigned to his brother William. (14) John the elder, son of John del Bridge, in 1327 gave to John the younger, his brother, lands in Fazakerley already granted by their father to John and William, brothers of the grantor. (20) John del Bridge and Juliana his wife were enfeoffed of certain lands in 1340, with remainder to their son Adam; see (24). (25) Thomas son of William del Bridge next appears, in 1385. The name occurs down to 1431, n. 27, 29, 31, but there may have been more than one person. More than fifty years elapses, and then in 1485 Robert Bridge arranged for the succession of his lands to his son John and his grandson Robert; n. 32, 33. Richard and Roger, sons of Robert Bridge, occur in 1536; n. 37, 38; their lands were in Fazakerley and Lathom. Another of the family living at that time was Henry Bridge, who had married Joan, widow of Richard Makin of Litherland, n. 36, 39.
Joan, Margery, and Cecily, daughters of Henry Bridge, claimed certain lands in Walton and Fazakerley in 1602 from Anne, their father's widow. It appeared that Robert Bridge had in the time of Hen. VIII settled them on his son and heir John, from whom they descended thus:—s. Henry—s. Richard—s. Henry, plaintiffs' father; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 290, m. 15.
In 1354 Hawise, widow of John del Bridge, claimed dower in lands held by Maud, widow of Henry del Quick; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. iij. John son of John del Bridge appears as plaintiff five years later; ibid. R. 7, m. 5.
Edward Bridge, described as 'gentleman,' died 20 Dec. 1626, holding a messuage and land of Robert Fazakerley; his son and heir Richard was 26 years of age; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), p. 54. Anne Bridge, widow, appears on the recusant roll of 1641; Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiv, 237. Richard Bridge of Fazakerley held 8 acres there in 1639; Chorley Surv. 53.
17 Henry de Tarleton held land here in 1413, when he made a grant to Richard Bullock; and in 1417 when he exchanged an acre with the same Richard; Croxteth D. K, 6, 7. From a release of John Bullock dated 1431 Henry appears to have acquired part of the holding of Richard Bullock; ibid. K, 27.
Roger, son and heir of Henry Tarleton of Fazakerley, in 1504–5 granted to his mother Elizabeth all the lands in Fazakerley and Rainford he had by her grant for her life, and then to Thomasine, daughter of Robert Parr of Rainford, for her life; Kuerden MSS. iii, W. 11, n. 34. A later Henry Tarleton occurs in 1536; ibid. m. 38.
Richard Tarleton died about 1558, seised of a capital messuage in Fazakerley, &c.; the wardship of William, his son and heir, was given to William Lathom; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. Bks. xxiii, 216.
William Tarleton in 1593 purchased lands in Walton and Fazakerley from Ralph Mercer and Ellen his wife; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 55, m. 12. William Tarleton, who died 6 March, 1631–2, held a messuage and lands in Walton and Fazakerley of Robert Fazakerley; also a messuage and land in Hardshaw of Richard Egerton; Richard Tarleton, his son and heir, was 41 years of age; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 1181.
The Tarletons of Aigburth had lands in Fazakerley; Chorley Surv. 53.
18 Thomas Stananought, who died 16 March, 1634–5, held a messuage and lands in Fazakerley of Robert Fazakerley; Henry, his son and heir, was aged 28 years; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 1075.
Thomas Stananought, as a convicted recusant, paid double to the subsidy in 1628; Norris D. (B. M.). Henry Stananought of Fazakerley petitioned for a third of his lands which had been sequestered for recusancy; Cal. of Com. for Comp. iv, 2861.
19 Ralph Whitfield and Katherine his wife, with David their son and Ellen his wife, joined in a sale of land in Fazakerley to William Bower in 1589; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 4. John Whitfield of the Diglake occurs in 1639; Chorley Surv. loc. cit. William Whitfield of Roby was the guardian of Nicholas Fazakerley in 1652; Royalist Comp. P. ii, 298.
It appears from fines and inquisitions that the Longworths, Roses of Walton, and Molyneuxes of Melling, had lands here; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 41, m. 142; bdle. 50, m. 33; Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 43; these last were perhaps the same as Ralph Pooley's estate in 1594; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, n. 19.
20 Thomas and William de Stonebridgeley occur among witnesses to local deeds about 1300, and Henry in 1342. Thomas de Stonebridgeley had a suit concerning lands with Margaret, widow of William of the same in 1356; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 14d.
21 'Stoneberley' 20 acres of land 'in or near to Fazakerley'; Chorley Surv. 53.
22 Commonwealth Church Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), 80.
23 Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 136, 150. Percival Rice, described as 'Doctor of Physic' or as 'of the city of London, apothecary,' with his brother Thomas, is described as holding Fazakerley Hall and estate in fee, the value being £82 13s. 6d. They had also a house at West Derby; ibid. 122. Their 'hall' was afterwards sold; Piccope MSS. iii.


<--Previous:
Townships:
Walton