||4,180, including 10 of inland water;
Census Rep. of 1901.
||H. Taylor in Lancs. and Ches. Antiq.
Soc. xix, 173.
||Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. i,
V.C.H. Lancs. i, 283a.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 42. It is here called
the sixth part of a knight's fee, but in
other cases the fifth part; ibid. 149.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe. R. 31; Richard
paid 5 marks that the justices might inquire into the truth as to Kirkby, which
he held of the Constable of Chester.
Possibly there was some dispute as to the
boundaries of Simonswood, which Henry II
had taken into the forest. Four years
later all Richard's manors were taken into
the king's hands because he had married
his daughter Maud to Robert de Stockport. He had to pay £100 fine for this;
ibid. 42, 46, &c.
||The marriage took place in 1205–6;
ibid. 203. At the survey of 1212 Hugh
was found to hold 2 plough-lands of the
constable of Chester; Inq. and Extents, 42.
Whalley Coucher (Chet. Soc.), iii, 828.
Inq. and Extents, 149. For the pedigree see ibid. 40.
||Sir Ralph de Beetham died in 1254,
holding 1 plough-land in Kirkby of the
earl of Lincoln by knight's service, worth
20s. yearly; the moiety of a mill, worth
12s., and the tallage of the rustics, worth 5s.
yearly; ibid. 195, 201.
After the death of Henry de Lacy in
1311 it was found that Sir Thomas de
Beetham held the vill of Kirkby of him by
the sixteenth (? tenth) part of a fee, rendering 21d. yearly for sake fee, and doing
suit to the three weeks' court at Widnes;
De Lacy Inq. (Chet. Soc.), 24. There is
no mention of the other moiety. See
also Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 102.
||See the accounts of Bootle and Formby. It is supposed that Richard Beetham,
living in 1484, forfeited the family estates;
but his niece Agnes, who married Robert
Middleton of Leighton, had a son Thomas,
ibid.; and he, alleging that Richard
Beetham had only a life interest, appears
to have recovered part. His son and heir
Gervase died in 1548 seised of the manor
of Kirkby; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m. ix,
n. 11. George Middleton, his son, and
Margaret his wife, in 1576 conveyed their
moiety of the manor to the agents of
Henry, earl of Derby, whose title was
thus secured; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 38, m. 92.
||This was stated in a claim by Richard
de Byron, grandson of the grantee, in
1335; De Banc. R. 303, m. 205.
||He was non-suited in a plea against
Gilbert de Clifton touching a tenement
here: Assize R. 408, m. 57.
From the record of a plea concerning
land in Walton unsuccessfully brought in
1313 against John son of Henry de Byron,
Henry de Lacy of Rochdale, Richard de
Didsbury, and Jordan de Holden, it appears
that Robert de Byron had obtained the
tenement from the plaintiff William del
Quick, and had afterwards enfeoffed Henry
de Byron, father of John; Assize R. 424,
In the Feodary of Halton made about
1323 it is recorded that Sir Richard de
Byron (misprinted Burton, for Buron) held
one half of Kirkby for 1 plough-land,
giving for relief 10s. while Ralph de
Beetham held the other half; Ormerod,
Ches. (ed. Helsby), i, 708; Add. MS.
32107, fol. 305b. In 1328 also Robert
de Byron and Ralph de Beetham similarly
held Kirkby under Halton; Inq. p. m.
2 Edw. III, 1st Nos. n. 61. Richard de
Byron was the lord of Clayton, succeeding
his father, Sir John, between 1316 and
1318, and was probably acting as guardian
of the heirs of Robert de Byron.
||Assize R. 420, m. 4; the jury divided
the lands in dispute.
||Ibid. m. 1.
||In a plea in 1323 which Henry de
Bootle of Melling brought concerning a
mill-dam in Kirkby, the erection of which
had caused the adjacent lands to be
flooded, the defendants were William
Gerard and Maud his wife, Joan widow of
Robert de Byron, Ralph de Beetham,
William de Tours and Emma his wife,
John son of Peter de Aghtynthwayt and
Margaret his wife, and William Baudeknave; Assize R. 425, m. 1. The jury
ordered the mill-dam to be thrown down,
William Baudeknave and Joan de Byron
being declared guilty.
In the following year William Gerard
and Maud his wife demanded, against
Henry de Bootle and others, the moiety
of 3 messuages, 4 oxgangs of land, &c.,
in Kirkby, as the right of Isabel wife of
Robert de Nevill, which John de Byron
gave to Robert de Byron and the heirs of
his body, and which after Robert's death
ought to descend to the said Maud and
Isabel, daughters and heirs of the said
Robert; De Banc R. 251, m. 160. It
does not appear that the Nevills shared
Robert de Byron's lands in Kirkby as they
did in Melling.
The pedigree of the Gerards in Helsby's
Ormerod, Ches. ii, 131, needs correction
at this point.
||To the aid 1346–55 Maud Gerard and
Ralph de Beetham contributed for the
fifth part of a fee in Kirkby; Feud. Aids,
iii, 86. They were still holding it at the
duke of Lancaster's death in 1361;
Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, 1st Nos. n.
Sir Thomas Gerard, who died in 1416,
held a moiety of Kirkby by knight's service and 20½d. a year; it was then worth
20 marks; Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Chet. Soc.),
In 1430 John Gerard and Thomas de
Beetham held the fifth part of a fee here;
Dods. MSS. lxxxvii, fol. 58b.
Sir Peter Gerard, who died in 1447,
held lands in Kirkby; Towneley MS. DD,
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 27, m. 77,
the premises are described as 40 messuages,
&c., a mill, a dovecote, 1,000 acres of land,
&c. in Kirkby and Melling, and a moiety
of the manor of Kirkby.
||This moiety of Kirkby, with other
estates, had been settled upon Joan Halsall, daughter of Robert Halsall, until her
son Thomas should attain 24 years of age,
when he should come into possession, with
remainder to his heirs male; Croxteth
D. P. iii, 1. The sale to Sir Richard
Molyneux was made in consideration of
£1,160 paid; ibid. P. iii, 2, 3.
||The Molyneux family were already
landowners in Kirkby. In 1501 they
purchased from William Leyland, son and
heir of John Leyland, land in Avanessergh, which had descended to the vendor
from William de Leyland, who had married Margery, daughter of Adam de Snelston by his wife Margery, in the time of
Edward II; ibid. ii, 2. In 1548 Sir William Molyneux's estate, described as
3 messuages, 50 acres of land, &c., was
said to be held of the heirs of Adam
Snelston in socage by the service of one
barbed arrow; it was worth 47s. 4d. per
annum clear; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m.
ix, n. 2.
In 1623 the manor was said to be held
by the tenth part of a knight's fee; Lancs.
Inq. p. m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
||Robert de Ingewaith was one of the
principal contributors to the subsidy in
1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), 22. In 1305 Robert de Byron,
Richard de Ingewaith, and Robert and
William his sons, and a large number of
others were summoned to answer William
de Walton respecting certain oaks and
other trees which they had cut down and
carried away, and other 'enormous
damage' done. Richard de Ingewaith
replied that there was a wood lying between
Kirkby and Walton in which he should
have housebote and heybote, and that he
had done no trespass; Cur. Reg. R. 181,
||John Norris had lands in Garston,
which John Norris of Kirkby, his son,
sold in 1451 to Thomas Lathom of
Knowsley; Norris D. (B. M.), n.
Robert Norris, yeoman, in 1651, petitioned the Parliament for the restoration
of his estate, which had been sequestered
because he had joined the king's forces in
the first war. He took the National
Covenant and Negative Oath, and was
restored; Royalist Comp. P. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), iv, 225.
||The following deeds relating to this
property are now in the possession of
Mr. Robert Gladstone, jun., of Woolton:
(a) Grant by Robert de Byron to Simon
son of Alan, of land in Buteriscroft and
Bredlendshead, which Roger son of the
chaplain formerly held; (b) Refeoffment
by John Fleetwood, with remainder to his
daughter Agnes, 1438; (c) Quitclaim by
Agnes, daughter of John Fleetwood of
Kirkby, to Thomas Torbock of Kirkby,
of all her rights in the same lands, which
Thomas had by her father's grant, 1439;
Sir William Torbock was a witness;
(d) Grant by the feoffees to Thomas Torbock, son of John, and Ellen his wife,
1537; (e) Surrender by Ellen, widow of
Thomas Torbock of Halsall, of her life
interest to her son George, 1546; (f)
Fine between Anthony Maghull, plaintiff,
and Richard Worsley and Alice his wife,
and John Worsley and Anne his wife,
deforciants, regarding lands at Kirkby,
Isabel daughter and heir of John
Heath, and widow of John Fleetwood
of Kirkby, occurs temp. Hen. VIII;
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
Nicholas Fazakerley, son and heir of
William Fazakerley and Elizabeth his
wife, sold a burgage in Dale Street, Liverpool, to John Crosse in 1473; Nicholas
was living in 1491; Crosse D. (Trans.
Hist. Soc.), n. 153–5, 161.
||Norris D. (B.M.). William Fazakerley of Kirkby held 28 acres in Walton
in 1639; Chorley Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), 53.
The family recorded a pedigree at the
Visit. of 1664, beginning with the William Fazakerley of 1600; he was followed by a son Nicholas who died about
1620, and a grandson William, who died
in 1654. He had several children;
Nicholas, the eldest, was 44 years of age
in 1664, and appears to have had no
children, the heir being his nephew
William, son of Thomas, aged 6 years
at the Visit., and living in 1677; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 109; will of
N. Fazakerley at Chest., dated 1677,
proved 1680. The remainders were to
his brother Edward's sons, Nicholas,
Thomas, Edward, and then to his brother
Henry's. In the will of his widow, Elizabeth (dated 1697), this nephew is called
'of Altcar'—a branch of the family resided at Hill House in Altcar about this
time—and William Fazakerley as 'of
This may indicate the parentage of
Nicholas Fazakerley of Prescot, a noted
local conveyancer of the first part of the
eighteenth century, whose father's name
was Henry. He represented Preston in
six Parliaments between 1732 and his
death in 1767; Pink and Beavan,
Parl. Rep. of Lancs. 163–4; Dict. Nat.
His great-grandson, John Nicholas
Fazakerley, 'of Prescot,' was member for
Lincoln in 1812 and later years; Members
of Par. (Blue Book), ii, 261, &c. He was
the son of John Fazakerley of Wasing,
Berks. and entered Christ Church, Oxford, in 1805, aged seventeen; Foster,
Alumni Oxon. According to Burke, Landed
Gentry (4th ed. 1868), he was a grandson
of Alexander Radcliffe of Leigh, who
assumed the surname of Fazakerley.
For the Radcliffe-Fazakerley connexion
see Dugdale, Visit. p. 238.
Gregson says: 'John Nicholas Fazakerley, M.P. for the city of Lincoln,
descended from Counsellor Fazakerley
(contemporary with the late Sir Thomas
Bootle of Lathom House), is of this family,
and until lately had many estates in the
hundred of West Derby and other parts of
the county'; Fragments (ed. Harland),
141. A deed of 1808 relating to his
estates is enrolled in the Common Pleas,
Trinity, 48 Geo. III, R. 94.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiv, 238.
There are but few names for this township, but they include Ellen Fazakerley,
widow; Anne Norris, widow, and Dorothy
||In 1651, Margery Barker, his widow,
petitioned for the removal of the sequestration of the two-thirds of the tenement,
which was leasehold under Lord Molyneux.
Margery and her two children were 'conformable Protestants.' The vicar of Walton certified that Thomas Barker, recusant,
had been buried at Walton in the family
grave, 'in the evening, as Papists used to
do'; Royalist Comp. P. i, 134–7.
The estates of Edward Torbock and
Lawrence Stananought of Kirkby were
confiscated and sold by the Parliament
in 1652; Index of Royalists (Index Soc.),
Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 111, 120, 121.
Thomas Tatlock was the son of a previous
Thomas; his son by his wife Ellen Fazakerley was Henry Tatlock, S.J.; Foley,
Rec. S. J. vii, 764; Gibson, Lydiate Hall,
289–91. 'Tatlock's House' stands to
the north-west of the village.
||Land tax returns of 1785; the three
contributed £29 out of £100 raised.
||The only other Kirkby in England
which is a chapelry is Kirkby Muxloe in
Leicestershire, in the parish of Glenfield.
It is legitimate, therefore, to suggest that
Kirkby may formerly have been independent of Walton.
||A brief was issued by which £1,043
was collected; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836),
iv, 52. A view is given in a paper
by the Rev. T. Moore in Trans. Hist. Soc.
vi, 53. It was enlarged in 1812, and a
gallery was afterwards added. A view of
the old parsonage is given in the same
||A district chapelry was formed in
1872; Lond. Gaz. 13 Aug.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xvii, 65.
An account appeared in the Gent. Mag. of
1845; also Trans. Hist. Soc. vi, 85, with
||For the ornaments of the chapel in
1552 see Church Gds. (Chet. Soc.), 100;
and for other particulars Raines' Chantries
(Chet. Soc.), ii, 268, 276–7. For the
ancient 'Priest Rent' see the account of
||Croxteth D. P. iv, 1. The vicar
and his successors by themselves or other
fit curate at their own charge should say
the Litany, Epistle, and Gospel of the day,
with the collects and creeds every Sunday, at
a convenient hour before noon; if required,
they should administer the sacrament of
communion to the inhabitants there, and
also, when required, solemnize matrimony,
baptize infants, purify women, visit the
sick, and bury the bodies of the dead,
according to the custom of the curates of
the adjoining parishes. The inhabitants,
on their part, were to pay to the vicars or
their farmers or proctors, all tithes, oblations, obventions, and all other ecclesiastical dues; and pay to the repair of the
mother church of Walton as in time past.
In a paper at Croxteth is a list of the
Easter offerings from Kirkby in the
eighteenth century. A man and wife
paid 3d., five cows and calves, 2s. 6d., a
swarm of bees 3d., a windmill 2s., a
water-mill, 4s., &c.
||Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 249; 'no
preacher.' Kenyon MSS. (Hist. MSS.
Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), 81.
Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 169, 178, 211; Croxteth
D. P. iv, 2.
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.),
ii, 229. The rector of Walton paid
£22 10s. 'No dwelling house but an old
bay of building, never inhabited, in which
a school is kept for children.' The curate
also had a payment of £5 10s. from the
town stock; forty years previously this
payment had been £9 10s.
||Terriers of 1686 and 1733 are printed
in Trans. Hist. Soc. vi, 49. One parcel
was called Chadcroft and another Priest's
Croft. An addition to the stipend was
granted by Queen Anne's bounty in 1768.
||Will proved at Chester, 1607.
Commonw. Ch. Surv. 81. He had just
resigned in 1650 and the cure was vacant.
Plund. Mins. Accts. ii, 135.
||Said to have been expelled in 1662.
||Will proved at Chester, 1678.
||Probably the same who was in 1688
made curate of Liverpool and West Derby.
His name is signed on the first terrier.
||Not in the Visit. list of 1691, when
there was apparently no curate assisting
the rector and vicar.
||From this time there are preserved
licences of curates in the Dioc. Reg.
||The curacy was 'vacant by the insufficiency and removal of Mr. Becket.'
William Mount was buried at St. Nicholas's, Liverpool, 1765. He built the parsonage house, gave communion plate, and
left money for the poor.
||Buried at Kirkby. He invented a
gold balance, &fsc.
||Grandson of Robert Gill of Hale,
proprietor of the Dungeon Salt Works.
||Buried at Kirkby, 1852; aged about
ninety-five. An account of him will be
found in Trans. Hist. Soc. vi, 52.
||Rector of Wolsingham, Durham,
1877; died, 1885.
||Sometime coadjutor bishop of Newfoundland.
||Vicar of Pemberton, 1874–81.
End. Char. Rep. 1903.
Liverpool Cath. Annual. There are
some traces of a regular mission for this
township and the adjoining Fazakerley in
the eighteenth century and early part of
the nineteenth; see Gibson, Lydiate Hall,