Townships
Maghull

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1907

Pages

215-221

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Maghull', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3 (1907), pp. 215-221. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41323 Date accessed: 17 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MAGHULL

Magele, Dom. Bk.; Maghul, Maghyl, Maghale, Maghal, Mauhale, 1292; Maghhal, 1303; Mauwell, 1351; Maghull, Maghell, 1353. These last two forms and Maghale most general. In the xv cent. the name was contracted to Maile or Male, which shows the local pronunciation. Sometimes the article was prefixed, 'The Maile.'

Maghull is an agricultural township, situated in flat country fairly well supplied with trees, generally grouped about the villages and farmsteads. The land is divided into arable and pasture, the latter mostly to the west, whilst numerous market gardens thrive on a light sandy soil. Crops of potatoes and other root crops, wheat and oats are successfully cultivated. The Leeds and Liverpool Canal crosses the township from north to south-east; the upper end of Maghull village, with its sett-laid roads and gaily painted houses, is a typical canal-side settlement. The River Alt drains the low-lying ground to the west, and forms the boundary of the township in that direction. The total area is 2,098 acres. (fn. 1) There was in 1901 a population of 1,505.

The principal road, leading from Liverpool to Ormskirk, passes through the village from south to north, and is joined on the east by the more circuitous route through Melling, and on the west by the road from Sefton. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Company's line from Liverpool to Preston crosses in a north-easterly direction, and has a station called Maghull. The Cheshire Lines Committee's railway to Southport passes along the western border, where there is a station called Sefton.

The township is governed by a parish council.

Three ancient crosses are known to have existed. The pedestal of the 'Woodlands Cross' is visible above the footpath at the junction of Green Lane with the Liverpool and Ormskirk road. Others are at Clent Farm (removed in 1890) and Back Lane. (fn. 2)

A sundial on the lawn in front of the manor-house has the motto and date, 'Volvenda dies, 1748.' Another in the churchyard is dated 1781. (fn. 3)

The Alt Drainage Act (1779) has the following field names: Chew, Pushed Meadow, Lower Mean Hey, and Lowest Alter.

A writer in 1823 says: 'From the chapel yard is an extensive view of the high land near Liverpool, on which Everton church is a very prominent object; of Ince Hall and park; and in the distance the two landmarks of Formby.' He characterizes the village as 'pleasant.' (fn. 4)

The wakes are held on Advent Sunday.

There was a racecourse here for one of the Liverpool meetings until the Aintree course superseded it.

Maghull manor-house is now used as an epileptics' home.

MANORS

MAGHULL was one of Uctred's six manors in 1066; its rating was half a plough-land. (fn. 5) Afterwards, like four others of the group, it formed part of the Widnes fee held by the barons of Halton in Cheshire, and this tenure is regularly stated in the inquisitions down to the seventeenth century. In 1212 it was found that Alan de Halsall held half a plough-land of Roger the constable of Chester by knight's service. (fn. 6)

The Halsall family continued to be regarded as the superior lords of Maghull, holding it for the twentyfourth part of a knight's fee, where 12 plough-lands made such a fee. So it was recorded in the Gascon scutage of 1242–3, (fn. 7) and in the Halton Feodary, the relief being stated as 5s. (fn. 8) In the fourteenth century the lordship seems to have passed from Halsall. In 1355 the heir of Gilbert de Halsall was lord; (fn. 9) afterwards it was held by the Hulme family, as will be seen later.

Simon de Halsall, the son of Alan, made two grants in Maghull. By one he gave to his son Richard the whole of his land in the vill, (fn. 10) the service to be that by which Simon himself held it—the twenty-fourth part of a fee. (fn. 11)

Simon's other grant was made about 1240. By it he gave to William de Maghull and his heirs the fourth part of all his vill of Maghull in demesne with all its appurtenances, reserving two parcels of 40 acres each in the woods. The service was to be that of a judge or doomsman, acting as deputy of Simon and his heirs, in the court of the chief lord at Widnes; 2¾d. annual rent was also to be paid. (fn. 12) This was the origin of the holding of the Maghull family.

In 1292 Richard son of Robert de Maghull claimed from Gilbert de Halsall 5 acres of land and 2½ acres of wood as his inheritance, from his grandfather Richard son of William, who had held it in the time of Henry III. Gilbert raised the technical plea that his brother Henry ought to have been joined with him as defendant, since he held 1½ acres of the disputed land. (fn. 13)


Maghull of Maghull. Argent, a balista azure loaded with a stone or.

In August, 1301, Richard son of Robert de Maghull gave to his son Richard and his wife Emmota, daughter of Robert de Rydings of Sefton, all his lands in Aintree and in Melling; he and his wife Alice giving warranty. (fn. 14)

Gilbert de Halsall, Richard son of Robert de Maghull, Richard son of Simon de Maghull, and others were in 1304 defendants in a claim made by Thurstan de Maghull in right of his wife Margery, formerly the wife of Adam de Crosby, regarding common of pasture in 100 acres of moor, wood, and pasture. Gilbert de Halsall and Richard de Maghull were lords of the vill; and their defence was that the approvement made was lawful according to the statute of Merton. (fn. 15)

In 1336 Richard son of Richard de Maghull granted his son Richard land in the township, with remainders to Adam and to William, brothers of the grantor. Three years later the same Richard made a similar grant to his brothers William, Adam, and Henry in succession. (fn. 16) Between these grants (in 1338) Thomas son of Ellen de Maghull (with whom his son Simon was joined) brought a claim by writ of novel disseisin, against Richard son of Richard son of Robert de Maghull and Emma his wife, Thomas son of Richard son of Simon de Maghull and Alice his wife, Richard son of Simon de Maghull and Margery his wife, and Robert and Henry sons of the first defendant. (fn. 17) In another suit in 1334 it was stated that Gilbert de Halsall was lord of one moiety; Thomas son of Richard son of Simon, and Richard son of Richard son of Robert being lords of the other moiety. (fn. 18)

It thus appears there were two families taking their name from Maghull, one descending from Robert and the other from Simon, and probably both from the above-named William de Maghull. (fn. 19) This comes out again in 1350 in a claim by Gilbert de Halsall in which the defendants were the grandsons abovenamed—Richard and Thomas. (fn. 20)

Gilbert de Halsall in 1346 prosecuted Thomas son of Richard de Maghull for breaking his mill, to the loss of 100s. profit. (fn. 21) William son of Thomas de Maghull was a grantor in 1361. (fn. 22) Six years later Thomas de Maghull complained that John the Mercer and others had attacked him with bows and arrows, and that he dare not go to church or visit anyone in the town without protection; but the jury acquitted the accused. There were counter charges against Thomas, his son John and brother William. (fn. 23) Thomas was living in 1358.

At this point there is a defect in the evidences. (fn. 24)

Richard de Maghull occurs as one of the lords of the vill in 1395. (fn. 25) The name of Thomas de Maghull occurs in 1418 and 1423 and again in 1447. (fn. 26) The series of Maghull charters begins again in 1421 with a grant by Hugh de Bretlands and Margery his wife to Thomas de Maghull of Aintree, of all the messuages and lands in Maghull, Melling, and Aintree which had belonged to Emmota the widow of Henry del Crosse. (fn. 27)

William Maghull is said to have been lord of this portion of the manor about 1420, and to have granted a right of turbary to Robert Molyneux in 1422. (fn. 28) He occurs as witness to a charter in October, 1403. Ellen the daughter of Thomas de Maghull, late of Aintree, was in January, 1425–6, contracted in marriage to Gilbert de Maghull, Thomas de Maghull of Maghull, apparently the father of the latter, being joined with him in the contract. (fn. 29) Thurstan de Maghull of Aintree made a general feoffment of his lands in 1441; and he is mentioned again two years later. (fn. 30)

From the witnesses to a deed of 1442 it appears that there were in Maghull at least two families bearing the local name, and possibly a third; for Thomas de Maghull of the Clent, Thomas de Maghull of the Carr, and Richard de Maghull attest it. (fn. 31)

The succession is again uncertain; but in March, 1462–3 John Maghull, chaplain, granted to his brother Nicholas all tenements in Maghull; the latter was son and heir of Thomas of the Carr. (fn. 32) Matthew was the son and heir of Nicholas, and in the next year he (an infant) received Mollington Yard from his father's feoffees; it had formerly been held by Richard Maghull of the Clent. (fn. 33) He lived to a great age, and in 1508 enfeoffed Hugh Aughton of North Meols and others of his lands. (fn. 34) His grandson William (eldest son of Thomas Maghull of Aintree) was contracted in marriage with the daughter of one Stananought, but died before marriage. (fn. 35)

Matthew's son Thomas, who had in 1514 sold lands to Sir William Molyneux, (fn. 36) was 'riotous and unthrifty and evil disposed, and liked to sell all the inheritance if it should descend to him'; after William's death therefore he settled the succession on Thomas's second son Robert. (fn. 37) It had in 1507–8 been settled on Thomas, who married Isabel, daughter of William Formby. (fn. 38) The new arrangement was secured by a recovery at Lancaster; (fn. 39) and in 1535 the feoffees transferred to Robert Maghull and Alice his wife certain lands in Maghull, Melling, and Aintree. (fn. 40)

Robert Maghull died 11 August, 1543, leaving a son and heir Richard, who being a minor, became the king's ward, until in 1558 livery was granted to him. (fn. 41) The inquisition (fn. 42) states that Robert held the manor of the king as of the duchy of Lancaster by knight's service and the yearly rent of 2¾d.; the clear value was £4.

This family seems to have gone with the times in religion, the name being absent from the list of recusants in the parish. Richard Maghull purchased some property in Liverpool in 1560, and soon afterwards sold land in Aughton to Thomas Bootle of Melling. (fn. 43) He joined in the partition of Maghull made in 1568, (fn. 44) and afterwards became Sir Richard Molyneux's bailiff for the manor of West Derby, appointing a deputy in 1587. (fn. 45) His eldest son Richard died early, and the succession fell to the second son Andrew. (fn. 46) Richard died on 27 July, 1606, holding the fourth part of the manor of Maghull, with a capital messuage there called the Carr House. (fn. 47) His son Andrew having died before him leaving a son Richard, this last was heir to his grandfather and 10½ years of age. (fn. 48)

This Richard married Alice daughter of William Clayton of Leyland, and had with her certain lands in Leyland. (fn. 49) He recorded a pedigree at the visitation of 1664–5. Of his sons, Richard, William, and John died without issue, and Robert, who succeeded him, is called a citizen of London in 1664, and said to be thirty-nine years of age. (fn. 50) Robert Maghull died in 1674; his son William, who married Cecily, daughter of Thomas Bootle of Melling, (fn. 51) died in 1709, and the inheritance was ultimately divided between his daughters Ellen, who married Joseph Yates of Peel in Little Hulton, (fn. 52) and Elizabeth, who married Edward Aspinwall. (fn. 53) The manor was purchased by Thomas Unsworth of Liverpool, and descended to his grandson William Gillibrand Unsworth, after whose death it was sold to Hugh McElroy. The present owner of the manor-house, by purchase from H. McElroy's executors, in September, 1880, is Mr. Thomas Curry Mather of Lydiate, but no manorial rights belong to it. (fn. 54)


Mather of Lydiate. Barry of six azure and argent, two flaunches ermine, on a chief of the second an escallop between two mullets of six points of the first.

Gilbert de Maghull, above mentioned, had a daughter and heir Joan, who married Ralph Molyneux. (fn. 55) Ralph left sons— Richard, who married Isabel, Thomas, and Geoffrey. (fn. 56) Richard had two sons, Robert and Edmund. The elder married Margery daughter of Robert Gore, about 1498, (fn. 57) and they had two daughters, Elizabeth and Anne, who were co-heirs of Kennetshead and other property. Elizabeth married (i)——Melling and (ii) Humphrey Ley, (fn. 58) and Anne married Henry son and heir of Thomas Pye of Lydiate. (fn. 59) Elizabeth and Humphrey Ley and their son Edmund sold their land in Maghull to Richard Maghull in 1570. (fn. 60) Nevertheless at the inquisition after the death of Edmund Ley (made in 1589) it was found that he died on 17 January, 1587–8, seised of a house and lands there, held of Richard Hulme; and that his son Richard was his heir. (fn. 61)

It has been convenient to narrate the history of the Maghull family first, as it bore the local name. The superior lordship of the Halsalls was replaced some time between 1370 and 1380 by that of the Hulmes, it is supposed by marriage. The first of this family to appear in connexion with Maghull is Richard de Hulme, who contributed to the poll tax of 1381. (fn. 62) David de Hulme, who was probably his son, died 6 December, 1418, seised of the manor of Maghull, (fn. 63) and holding it of the king as of his duchy of Lancaster, viz. of the honour of Halton, by knight's service and a rent of 15d. per annum. It was worth clear 10 marks. (fn. 64) His son and heir, Lawrence, was nine years of age, attaining to his majority before March, 1432, when his lands were delivered to him. It was proved that he was baptized in Maghull chapel; Henry Blundell of Crosby, aged forty-three and over, was in the church on the same day, being a 'love day' or settlement between Sir Thomas Gerard and Sir John Bold. (fn. 65)

Lawrence Hulme in 1442 gave certain lands to his son Richard on his marriage with Joyce daughter of Robert Molyneux. (fn. 66) He lived on until 1483, (fn. 67) in July of which year he settled various lands in Maghull (held by his son and heir Richard and others), Scarisbrick, and Ainsdale on Ellen daughter of Henry Becconsall, who was to marry his grandson Edmund. (fn. 68) This Edmund died on Christmas Eve, 1525, holding the manor of Maghull and messuages, land, &c., in Maghull, of the duchy of Lancaster by the twelfth part of a knight's fee. He also held lands in Lydiate, Halsall, Barton, and Aspemoll in Scarisbrick, and the manor of Ainsdale with lands there. His son and heir Richard was aged thirty-five and more in 1529. (fn. 69) Richard Hulme died on 21 November, 1539; (fn. 70) Edmund Hulme, the son and heir, was nearly thirteen years of age.

Edmund Hulme after coming of age complained that his mother Anne, who had married for her second husband Richard Bradshaw, had neglected to keep the mansion-house of the manor in good repair. (fn. 71) Soon afterwards the steward of the fee of Halton (Sir John Savage) accused him of wilfully absenting himself from Widnes court and assaulting the bailiffs when they demanded the fines for absence. (fn. 72) Edmund complained that Sir Richard Molyneux, John Molyneux, and others had been digging turves upon his moss, carrying away 500 cartloads. (fn. 73) Sir Richard retorted by alleging that Edmund, Henry, and Thomas Hulme and others attacked him in the Lower Meadow, Edmund Hulme having a javelin in his hand and there being a 'privy ambushment' in the wood adjoining. The dispute was as to which of the two parties should take the hay in the meadow; the Molyneux party arrived first, but the others carried off the hay. (fn. 74) Edmund sold his rights in Halsall and Ainsdale to the Halsalls in 1555. (fn. 75)

Richard Hulme (or Holme), his son and successor, had livery of the manor of Maghull and the rest of his father's lands in November, 1575. (fn. 76) He had his share of litigation. He claimed from Thomas Bootle of Melling certain services, including ½ lb. of wax yearly, due from a holding in Maghull; the reply was that some small works and boons had been done for the plaintiff, but only 'by courtesy. (fn. 77) Richard died 18 February, 1614–15, seised in fee of the manor of Maghull, held of the king by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; also of lands in Kirkdale and Maghull. His son and heir Edmund was forty years of age, (fn. 78) but by his father's dispositions did not succeed to the manor.

Edmund Hulme and Ellen his wife in Maghull were presented to the bishop as recusants or noncommunicants in 1634, as also Edward and Alice Hulme. Edmund Hulme and Ellen his wife and Alice Hulme appear also in the recusant roll of 1641. (fn. 79) By indenture in 1623 he assigned to Richard his eldest son, and his assigns certain leasehold property in Maghull, in view of his marriage. Richard married Margery, and died young, leaving a daughter Mary. The widow married Thomas Wilkinson (their names appear in the recusant lists of 1635 and 1641), and in 1653 the husband petitioned the parliamentary commissioners for the removal of the sequestration of two-thirds which had been incurred by the recusancy of Edmund Hulme, who had died three years previously. (fn. 80) Mary Hulme was the wife of Thomas Hesketh in 1659.

Internal troubles in the Hulme family had perhaps been the cause of Richard Hulme's diverting the natural course of succession; about eighteen months before his death he assigned the manor of Maghull and all other of his lands to trustees for the use of himself for life, and then for William Ley or Lea and his heirs, and failing these for Henry, Richard, James, John, and Bartholomew in succession, the sons of William Hulme by a certain Elizabeth Pimley. Thus his own son Edmund was removed a long way from the succession. (fn. 81) This is not mentioned in the inquisition after Richard's death; but a few months after this event Henry Pimley alias Hulme sold to Sir Richard Molyneux the manor of Maghull. Edmund Hulme and William Ley were also parties to various agreements in connexion with the conveyance; (fn. 82) and as late as 1659 Mary Hesketh, daughter of Richard Hulme, joined with her husband in renouncing all claim to the hall of Maghull, then belonging to Caryll, Viscount Molyneux. (fn. 83) Edmund Hulme had had a lease of the hall for three lives. (fn. 84)

The Molyneuxes of Sefton had for some time been acquiring lands in the township. In 1544 Sir William Molyneux purchased from Edward and Nicholas Maghull Carr House and 22 acres of land, and one or two other tenements seem also to have been acquired. (fn. 85) In 1567–8 accordingly the partition of the various lands, with moss and turbary, was made between Edmund Hulme, Sir Richard Molyneux and William his son, and Richard Maghull, as the three lords of the place. (fn. 86)

The manor (or three-quarters of the manor) of Maghull (fn. 87) remained in the hands of the Molyneux family down to the end of the eighteenth century, when it was sold for £7,500 (fn. 88) to William Harper of Liverpool and Dunham in Cheshire; his daughter and heir Helen married John Formby of Everton and afterwards of Formby; and these were in possession at the beginning of 1816. (fn. 89) In 1858 the hall, with out any manorial rights, was sold by the Formbys to Bartholomew French, of Liverpool and County Mayo; he died in 1868, and in 1875 his trustees sold the hall to Mr. William Ripley, the present owner. The manorial rights are supposed to be extinct. (fn. 90)

A branch of the Molyneuxes resided at the Peel (fn. 91) in Maghull in the first part of the sixteenth century. (fn. 92)

Thomas Bootle of Melling, who died in 1597, held lands in Maghull of each of the lords— Richard Hulme, Sir Richard Molyneux, and Richard Maghull. (fn. 93)

Henry Stanley of Maghull had his small estate sequestered by the Parliament, but was discharged, having taken the National Covenant and Negative Oath in 1646. (fn. 94)

CHURCH

The present church of St. Andrew was consecrated 8 September, 1880, and stands near the old site. It is in the early English style, with chancel, nave, north porch, and western tower.

Forty years ago the chapel had 'an ancient chancel with a small aisle or chapel to the north,' divided from it 'by two very low pointed arches, perhaps early English, with a circular pillar having a moulded cap. The western respond had nail-headed mouldings.' The body of the church, built about 1830, was 'unworthy of notice… . The interior was positively shapeless.' (fn. 95)

The chancel with its north aisle has been preserved, and is commonly known as the Unsworth chapel, the owner of the manor-house using the aisle as a mortuary chapel. 'A careful comparison of the mouldings appears to indicate that the building does not date earlier than 1285 to 1290, in spite of the Norman-looking round arch, which, oddly enough, has the most distinct thirteenth-century detail in the moulding.' On the east wall is a trace of a mural painting. There are a mutilated piscina and a prismshaped holy-water font. A Georgian baptismal font is built into the wall over the modern west door. (fn. 96) 'The chapel house nearly opposite is a good example of early seventeenth-century architecture, with long square mullioned windows.' (fn. 97)

The origin of the chapel is unknown, but from what has been said above one must have stood there in the thirteenth century. (fn. 98) A gift of five acres of land was at one time made for the finding of a light in the chapel. (fn. 99) The building in 1550 was valued at 30s. (fn. 100) About the same time the rector of Halsall complained that he had been ousted from a close called 'Church land' at the east end of the chapel of Maghull, another small piece between the barnyard and Maghull Green, and four butts on the south side of the chapel. (fn. 101)

Nothing is known of the fate of the chapel for some time after this. Melling was perhaps used as more convenient. In 1590 there was 'no preacher' at Maghull; (fn. 102) about 1610 it was 'without service or preacher.' (fn. 103) The registers do not begin till 1729.

Under the rule of the Parliament, Maghull was placed under the charge of a separate minister, who had the tithes of the township, a tenth being deducted for the benefit of Mrs. Travers, wife of the 'delinquent' rector. In November, 1645, Mr. James Worrall was appointed to the charge of it. (fn. 104) The surveyors of 1650 found 'an ancient chapel' with about a roodland of ground around it, 'fit to be enjoyed therewith,' and recommended that the township should be made a separate parish. Mr. William Aspinall, 'a painfull and godly minister,' was then supplying the cure, his regular stipend being £45 clear. (fn. 105)

Bishop Gastrell records that in 1717 there was nothing belonging to the chapel beyond £20 a year paid by the rector, and about £5 surplice fees; (fn. 106) the rector of course appointed the curate, and now presents the vicar.

Among the curates and vicars at Maghull have been:—

oc.1665—Shaw
1670–91Zachary Leech (fn. 107)
oc.1704Ralph Sherdley
1777Benjamin Whitehead (fn. 108)
1811George Holden, M.A. (Glas.) (fn. 109)
1865Joseph Lyon, M.A. (Trin. Coll., Oxford)
1869James Gerard Leigh, M.A. (Christ Ch., Oxford) (fn. 110)
1884John Francis Hocter, M.A. (Trin. Coll. Dublin)

The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel.

There is a tradition that during the times of persecution mass was said secretly in an old building in the manor-house grounds, but the public revival of the Roman Catholic services dates only from 1887, when a barn was fitted up and used as a chapel. In 1890 the school chapel of St. George was opened. (fn. 111)

Footnotes

1 2,099 according to the census of 1901, including 13 acres of inland water.
2 Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xix, 171.
3 Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xi, 255.
4 Kaleidoscope, 8 July, 1823.
5 V.C.H. Lancs. i, 283b.
6 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 43.
About the same time Roger son of Robert son of Outi granted to God and St. Werburgh of Warburton an assart which had belonged to Simon son of Robert the Rider. It was marked out by signs and crosses, and was to be held in pure alms. This was confirmed or regranted by the superior lord, Alan de Halsall, 'with the favour and assent of Alice his wife.' Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 543–4.
7 Inq. and Extents, 149.
8 Ormerod's Ches. (ed. Helsby), i, 708. There are one or two errors; Halsall is printed for Maghull, and Richard de Halsall should be either Robert de Halsall or Richard de Maghull.
9 Feud. Aids, iii, 86.
10 Namely, two oxgangs in demesne and two in service, with all their easements, &c., in wood and open country, in mosses, marshes, waters, mills, bees, hawks, and all other liberties named and unnamed, also all his 'natives' and their offspring. He reserved for himself and heirs and the men of Halsall, timber from the wood and mast for their pigs.
11 Dods. MSS. xxxix, fol. 140.
It is not known what was the result of this grant. Thomas son of Richard de Halsall granted to Gilbert de Halsall, about 1290, all the right he had in Carrfield in Maghull; ibid. fol. 143b.
12 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 46b. Rights of pannage and enclosure in the woods were granted, but oaks and ash trees were reserved. The date (19–25 Hen. III) is fixed by the style of one of the witnesses, 'Simon de Thornton, then sheriff.'
Simon de Halsall in 1246 brought a writ of novel disseisin against Adam de Molyneux and others regarding land in Maghull, but did not prosecute it; Assize R. 404, m. 7.
13 Assize R. 408, m. 21; also m. 42, 58d.
A William de Maghull in 1278 put forward a claim upon the same Gilbert, alleging disseisin; Assize R. 1238, m. 33d. See also R. 408, m. 34d. for William de Maghull a plaintiff.
In 1303 Cecily daughter of William de Maghull had a messuage and 14½ acres of land confirmed to her; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 202.
14 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 46. Alice is supposed to have been an Aintree heiress.
Richard granted 11 acres to his sister Margery, five lying by Quinbrok and six towards the vill; ibid. fol. 46. Whinney's Brook runs through the centre of the township.
15 Assize R. 419, m. 6d.; R. 420, m. 1, 4, 4a. 10d. 11. The plaintiffs were partia ly successful. Thurstan may be the Thurstan son of Alice de Whitelaw of an earlier suit (1292); Assize R. 408, m. 34d.
In 1318 Richard (as heir to his brother William), son of Thurstan de Maghull, released to Simon his brother land which the grantor's uncle William son of Richard the Rede gave to the first-named William. Richard son of Simon de Maghull is among the witnesses; Croxteth D.
16 Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 262, nn. 69, 34. Richard son of Simon de Maghull was a witness to both charters.
17 Assize R. 1425, m. 6.
18 Coram Rege R. 297, m. 2d.
19 There is a charter by Thomas son of Richard de Maghull, dated 1341, in Anct. D. (P.R.O.), A. 10300.
20 Assize R. 1444, m. 6.
21 De Banco R. 347, m. 23d.
22 Croxteth D., T. i, 2.
23 Exch. Misc. xc. m. 46, 49.
24 Some contemporary cases may be recorded. One is that of Joan widow of Adam de Aintree, who claimed dower in a messuage and land from Henry son of Simon de Bickerstath and Agnes his wife; Isabel daughter of William son of William del Halgh was called to warrant; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. ij, v; R. 4, m. 17; Assize R. 438, m. 5d. Agnes de Bickerstath also proceeded against Thomas son of Ralph de Maghull and John his son; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. 1, ij. These cases lasted from 1354 to 1360.
Richard de Bechington sought from Richard the Ward of Maghull, Richard son of William de Molyneux, and Jordan de Massy, rector of Sefton, the wardship of Emma daughter and heir of Robert son of Richard the Ward. Robert had held lands and houses in Aintree and Melling in socage, and Richard de Bechington claimed the wardship as nearest of kin, namely, son of Simon the brother of Margaret, who was mother of Emma. The defence was that Robert had nothing, except at the will of his father, the firstnamed defendant; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. vd.; R. 4, m. 4d.; Assize R. 435, m. 5. It is possible that Richard the Ward is the same as Richard de Maghull, but a Roger the Ward of Maghull is mentioned in 1292; Assize R. 408, m. 94.
Adam de Orrell in 1360 complained that William de Lydiate had taken from him Henry, son and heir of Roger son of William de Maghull, the marriage of this minor pertaining to Adam; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 8, m. 4; Assize R. 441, m. 1d.
25 Nicholas de Maghull had held a messuage and 10 acres of him there, which after his death had descended to Richard de Derbyshire, a 'native' of the duke's, as son and heir of Nicholas's sister Alice. Lancs. Inq. p. m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 56.
In 1397–8 Nicholas son of William de Maghull leased to Emmot his wife certain lands in Maghull for the life of his brother Thomas; Norris D. (Rydal Hall), F. 89.
26 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 135; ii, 54.
27 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 47.
28 Duchy of Lanc. Depositions (Phil. and Mary), lxxix, m. 1. In Sept. 1494, Nicholas Bickerstath of Aughton, ninety years of age, and Robert Walsh of the same place, aged eighty-four, 'at the instance and request of Richard Hulme, esquire, by way of charity and conscience,' certified that 'at no time in all their days' had they known any such person as William Maghull, lord of the fourth part of the manor; Croxteth D.
29 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 47b, 48, 46. Lands in Maghull, Lydiate, and Fazakerley were assigned.
30 Ibid. fol. 47b, 48.
31 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 48. The deed is of interest, as it carries on the succession of the above-mentioned 'native'— Dicon of Derbyshire. He left a son and two daughters—Emma and Alice—the former of whom had married Christopher Molyneux, and the latter John Barber of Aughton. Both being widows they agreed to divide the property which had come to them on the death of their brother John without other heirs. In the following year Alice Barber released her share to Thomas de Maghull of the Carr; ibid. The land was called Kennetshead, now Kennessee; it became the above-named Gilbert's. Thomas in 1449 gave his 'manor' of Maghull to two trustees; ibid. fol. 47b.
32 Ibid. fol. 48b; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 44, m. 2 d.
33 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 48b.
34 Ibid. fol. 49.
35 In 1530 the grandfather (being sixtysix years of age) charged Sir William Molyneux of Sefton with a breach of trust in connexion with the covenants of the marriage. Sir William had 'caused him to seal a deed, being unlearned and not knowing what was written but by his speeches,' and he found it advisable to make his protest in open court at Lancaster; ibid. fol. 49b.
36 Dods. MSS. cliii, fol. 128.
37 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 53b. In one of his grants to Robert (of land called Mollington) it is stated that 'the same day Thomas Gaskin did take the said land of Robert Maghull, and gave him a penny called "God's penny," before witnesses'; ibid. fol. 59b.
38 Ibid. fol. 49. In 1497 Matthew Maghull, son and heir of Nicholas, granted to Isabel daughter of William Formby, on her marriage with his son Thomas, the Dam House in Sefton; Croxteth D. X. iv, 12.
39 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 49b.
40 Ibid. fol. 50.
41 Ibid. fol. 51. In the inquisition he was said to be over eight years old in 1543. See also Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxix, App. 557.
42 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, n. 10. The intermediate Halton fee is not mentioned, nor yet the mesne lordship of the Halsall family. It recites several charters of Matthew and Robert Maghull, and gives a detailed description of the property, in which the following field names occur: To Carr House—Hoge Hey, Rush Hey, New Hey, Cow Acre, Oseys, Pele, Old Meadow, Qwarvys; to Oxhouse—Bottom Slack, Bottom Hill, Long Hurst, Plum Field, Maghull Heys, and Old Smith Carr Meadow.
43 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 54b, 55, also fol. 56.
44 Ibid. fol. 51b.
45 Ibid. fol. 56. An abstract of the will of his brother Anthony is given in Wills (Chet. Soc. New Ser.), i, 221.
46 Harl. MS. 2042, fols. 51, 52.
47 There were also 14 messuages, 100 acres of land, &c., in Maghull, Sefton, Lunt, and Netherton. He had leased Kennetshead and made other similar arrangements. The portion of the manor of Maghull was held of the king as of his duchy of Lancaster by a fourth of a twenty-fourth of a knight's fee.
48 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 66–7. The writ of Amoveas manus to the escheator is dated 27 Jan. 10 Jas. I; Croxteth D. T. ii, 22. In 1597 an agreement had been made between Thomas Halsall of Melling and Richard Maghull of Maghull, touching the marriage already made between Andrew, son of the latter, and Anne, daughter of the former; Croxteth D.
49 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 52b. A doorway of the manor-house has the initials and date:

50 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 192. On a building in the orchard is a stone inscribed:

51 The will of Cecily Maghull alias Male, widow of William Maghull, gentleman, dated 31 March, 1717, was proved 11 May, 1721, at Chester. She desired to be buried in Sefton near the bodies of her husband and her son Edward. She mentions her daughters Ellen, wife of Joseph Yates of Manchester, gentleman (their son was Maghull Yates), and Elizabeth, wife of Edward Aspinall.
52 Joseph Yates of Manchester purchased land in Maghull from Robert Molyneux of Mossborough and William his brother in 1772; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 214, from R. 4 of Geo. I, at Preston.
53 Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), v, 279. A pedigree and several of the charters here quoted are printed in Misc. Gen. et Herald. i, 300.
54 Ex inform. Mr. Mather.
55 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 48b. Gilbert was dead in 1465. Joan is described as heir of Thomas Maghull of the Clent; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 44, m. 2d.
56 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 53.
57 Ibid.
58 The Ley or Lee family occur much earlier in Maghull. Kuerden has an abstract of charter (11 Edw. IV.) mentioning Richard de Lee, son and heir of Alice [daughter] and coheir of Richard Renacres, formerly of Maghull; also Robert Lee and Ameria his wife, daughter and coheir of Richard Renacres. Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 262, n. 25. The rents and services of Ralph Lee (4d.) are mentioned in the marriage covenant of Richard Hulme and Joyce Molyneux; Croxteth D. T. ii, 2.
59 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 35b (bis); Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 22, m. 13.
60 Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 52.
61 Croxteth D. T. ii, 18.
Richard was a minor, and the lord took possession of the tenements in the name of wardship. The widow Elizabeth Ley strongly objected; she would be beggared by this 'guardianship in chivalry.' As to an accusation of encroachment by building on Maghull Clent she admitted setting up 'a little cot for hogs, of very small compass,' and believed that part of her little cottage was two yards over the boundary, but she thought plaintiff would not object as she only had an acre on which to maintain herself; Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Eliz. cxlvi, H. 2.
Richard Ley died early in 1597, holding the same lands of Richard Hulme by knight's service (as the two-hundredth part of a fee) and a rent of 6s.; his brother John was his heir; Croxteth D. T. ii, 20. John was a minor, and his wardship was claimed from his mother by the lord of the manor; ibid. T. ii, 19. John eventually succeeded and had a son William, whose wife was named Mary; ibid. T. ii, 23.
62 He was a witness in 1390; Crosse D. (Trans. Hist. Soc.), n. 83; and 1391–2; Croxteth D. Genl. i, 42. Richard de Hulme of Liverpool (18 Ric. II.) is described as son and heir of Margery son of Adam del Birches (Huyton); Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 270b, n. 93.
63 He had received it from certain feoffees in Oct. 1408; Croxteth D. T. ii, 1.
64 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 135. He held Ainsdale lands also.
65 Ibid. ii, 30.
66 Croxteth D. T. ii, 2. His daughter Isabel was in 1467 contracted to marry Richard son and heir of Ralph Molyneux of Maghull; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxiv, fol. 23.
67 In the feodary of this date he is called Lawrence de Botehull.
68 Croxteth D. T. ii, 8.
69 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, n. 28. A number of complaints had to be settled. His widow Ellen asserted that she and her younger children had been forcibly expelled from the house a week after her husband's death by Thomas Halsall and others (including Richard Hulme) and imprisoned in Halsall mansion-house for a day and a night; Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Hen. VIII, iii, H. 7.
The daughters complained that Edward Molyneux, priest (rector of Sefton), had taken the profits of the lands assigned to them, but his answer was that he was charged to keep the money towards their marriage; ibid. xix, H. 4.
The widow and the younger children were also charged with having taken the profits of their lands without suing out livery; in consequence the escheator was charged £15 which should have been paid to the king, and when he tried to recoup himself by distraint Richard Hulme and others rescued the twenty oxen and kine he had seized; ibid. xx, B. 17. In December, 1535, Ellen Hulme widow, granted her son Richard the Halthwait, &c., for an annual rent; Wapentake Ct. R. at Croxteth.
70 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, n. 9. The provision for Richard's younger brothers and sisters is recited.
71 Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Edw. VI, xxix, H. 12.
72 Ibid. Phil. and Mary, xxxiv, S. 3.
73 Duchy of Lanc. Dep. Phil. and Mary, xxix, M. 1. Afterwards John Molyneux of Melling complained that having no turf he could keep no fire, and had been obliged to break up his house; Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Phil. and Mary, xxxiv, M.7.
74 Duchy of Lanc. Dep. Phil. and Mary, lxxii, M. 3.
75 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 16, m. 134.
One of Edmund Hulme's acts is not altogether creditable. Generally speaking the family adhered to the Roman Catholic religion, but in 1568 he made charges against Sir Richard Molyneux of Sefton and others as to their having received absolution from a priest named Pick, and became an informer against his neighbours as to their want of conformity to the new laws. He and his wife had been examined, it appears, and possibly he thought to ward off danger to himself by accusing others. His successor Richard was a recusant in 1610, when a grant of the profits of this offence was made to John Hatton, a footman in ordinary; Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 211.
Another Richard Hulme of Maghull, born in 1604, entered the English College at Rome in 1625, and was ordained priest and sent on the mission, being buried, it would seem, after two years' service, at the Harkirk in 1634. He was 'rather virtuous than talented.' On admission he stated that when he was nine years old he and others, their parents being dead, were placed by their brother 'in the house of his Catholic father-in-law. Here they lived as Catholics for six years. Their brother afterwards placed them in a heretical school, where they lost their religion.' His father had become a Roman Catholic before his death. 'His brothers and sisters were either actually or very nearly Catholics. He was converted by a priest who lived near'; Foley, Rec. S. J. v, 308.
76 Croxteth D., T. ii, 16. Edmund's will was proved in the same year.
77 Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Eliz., cxlvi, H. 1.
78 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 19. William Hulme, who died in 1612, was found to have held under Richard; Lawrence, aged 12, was son and heir; ibid. i, 235.
79 Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xiv, 232.
80 Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 253.
81 Ibid. T. ii, 23; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 83, m. 49. A later William Hulme is said to have married Anne the daughter of Richard Maghull; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 192.
82 Croxteth D., T. ii; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 88, m. 18.
83 Ibid. T. ii, 34.
84 Ibid. T. ii, 32.
85 Ibid. T. i, 4–6, 9.
86 Ibid. T. i, 10; the Molyneuxes had a quarter. See also T. ii, 14 for a partition of various lands and moss between Edmund Hulme and Edward Molyneux (1556) and Hari. MS. 2042, fol. 51b.
87 See (e.g.) the Inq. p.m. of Sir Richard Molyneux in 1623; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 390, where its dependence on Halton is again stated
88 Chief rents varying from 1½d. to 1s. were then due from several tenants, and an annual rent of 9d. was payable to the duchy.
89 Pal. of Lanc. Docquet R. Lent, 56 Geo. III, R. ii.
90 Information of Mr. R. E. French.
91 Alan del Peel made a complaint against Thomas de Maghull in 1348; Exch. Misc. xc, m. 238.
92 Joan wife of Ralph Molyneux died there in 1503, absolved and houselled by Humphrey Hart, priest. The place descended to her son and heir Richard, who in 1514 arranged that his lands in Lydiate and Maghull should upon his death go to the use of his wife Elizabeth for her life, and then to his sons Edmund and Ralph. Richard died about February, 1521; and while his body lay in the house, another son, Robert, came in and sat down by way of taking possession. He refused to take part in the funeral, but after the 'dole' had been distributed among the people at the churchyard the funeral party returned to the house 'and there drank without hurt or misdeameanor of any one.' Shortly afterwards Robert was expelled by the servants of Edward Molyneux, rector of Sefton, one of the trustees for the widow; Duchy of Lanc. Depos. Hen. VIII, xii, m. 1.
93 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p. m. xvii, n. 57.
94 Cal. Com. for Comp. ii, 1483.
95 Lancs. Churches (Chet. Soc. New Ser.), 37. 'The chapel appears to have been built at different times,' says a visitor of 1823, referring to the old building, 'and the exterior is destitute of simplicity or architectural beauty. The interior is neat and crowded with seats, capable of containing a numerous congregation, which, however, has so much increased as to render necessary the addition which is at present contemplated. On the north side of the chancel is a small private chapel belonging to the Unsworth family, whose seat, the Manor House, lies adjacent.' Kaleidoscope, 8 July, 1823.
96 Trans. Hist. Soc. (New Ser.), xi, 252. Some remains are built into the manorhouse.
97 Ibid.
98 Lawrence Hulme was baptized at it in 1411, so that it was to some extent parochial; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 30. John the chaplain of Maghull is named in 1461; Cockersand Chartul. iv, 1244.
99 Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 256.
100 Raines, Chantries (Chet. Soc.), ii, 277. For the property of this chapel in 1552 see Church Goods (Chet. Soc.), 108.
101 Duchy of Lanc. Pleadings, Edw. VI, xxvi, H. 16; xxix, H. 16.
102 Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 249.
103 Kenyon MSS. (Hist. MSS. Com.), 13. In 1609 one Richard Vawdrey was curate of Melling and Maghull; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxii, 298.
104 Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 10. He was transferred to Aughton very soon afterwards.
105 Commonwealth Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 87.
106 Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 175. There were two wardens, appointed by the inhabitants.
107 Visit. Lists. 'Conformable' in 1689; Kenyon MSS. 229.
108 Also at Melling.
109 He was a justice of the peace and author of several theological works. He was the originator of Holden's Tide Tables. He lived at Halsall Hall. See Dict. Nat. Biog.
110 Now rector of Halsall.
111 Liverpool Cath. Ann. 1892.