INDEX MAP to the HUNDRED of SELBORNE
THE HUNDRED OF SELBORNE
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
This list represents the extent of the hundred of Selborne at the time
of the Population Abstract of 1831, and is identical with the hundred of the
The hundreds of Alton and Selborne were both included in the hundred
of Neatham at the time of the Domesday Survey, (fn. 1) and although no definite
date can be given for the division it must have come before 1217, since Alton
hundred was in existence at that date, (fn. 2) but whether the part that became
Selborne hundred was immediately called Selborne or retained for a time the
name of Neatham is unknown. The earliest mention of the hundred is in a
hundred roll of 1275. In this it was stated that the hundred belonged to
the king, who received from it one mark annually. The inquisition then
taken showed that suit had been withdrawn from the hundred court by the
prior of Selborne for the manor of Selborne, by William de Valence for
the manors of Newton Valence and Empshott, by the bishop of Exeter for the
manor of Faringdon, and by the master of the Templars for the manor of
Sotherington. (fn. 3)
The divisions of the hundred seem to have changed very little from the
fourteenth century onwards. (fn. 4) According to a map of 1788, on the west, the
north-west part of the parish of Newton Valence and the west part of East
Tisted, including Rotherfield Park, and on the east Oakhanger, Oakwood,
Blackmoor, and Woolmer, are included in Alton hundred. (fn. 5) In another map
of about the same date Faringdon was excluded from Selborne and included
in Alton hundred. (fn. 6) This is however due to inaccuracy rather than to a change
in the divisions.
V.C.H. Hants, 1, Dom. Surv.
Cal. Pat. 1216–25, p. 41; V.C.H. Hants, ii, 471.
Rot. Hund. (Rec. Com.), ii, 224.
Feud. Aids, ii, 315.
||Map in possession of Miss Lempriere of Pelham.
||Map in possession of Mr. A. M. Downie of Alton.