Parishes
Catherington

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1908

Pages

94-101

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Catherington', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3 (1908), pp. 94-101. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41936 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CATHERINGTON

Kateringeton (xii cent.); Katerinton (xiii cent.); Catrington (xv cent.); Katherington, Katteryngton, and Ketherington (xvi cent.).

Catherington is a large parish covering an area of 5,279 acres. The village lies almost in the centre of the parish, on the brow of the hill round the base of which runs the main road from Clanfield to Lovedean. The houses are almost entirely grouped on the east of the road, with fields opposite. In the middle of the village is a pretty rose-covered farmhouse, and beyond it the house known as St. Catherine's, for long the property of the Barnes family, and at present the residence of Mr. Albert William Still Barnes, J.P. Nearly opposite is the quaint Farmer Inn, and the smithy stands a little way further up the hill. Almost at the top is the vicarage, and opposite it to the east is the church of St. Katherine, standing well back at some little distance from the road. From the east end of the churchyard, where two fine yew trees stand, the ground falls quickly toward the valley in which the Portsmouth road runs, and there is a fine view of Windmill Hill and the country to the east and south. The road running northwards from the village makes a steep descent to join the road to Clanfield. Hinton Daubnay, the property of Mr. Hyde Salmon Whalley-Tooker, commands an extensive view, standing on high ground in a fine park about a mile west of the village. The house is modern, the old house of the Hydes having been pulled down in 1880. According to tradition it was here that the marriage between James duke of York (afterwards James II) and Anne Hyde took place. Also belonging to the Hinton Daubnay estate is a smaller house called Hinton Manor, which is at present let to Captain Bayly. After passing Hinton Daubnay the road degenerates into a mere zigzag track over the downs, and finally comes out on the main road from Clanfield to Hambledon by the Bat and Ball Inn, the home of the famous Hambledon Cricket Club. Shrover Hall, the residence of Sir William Pink, is in the west of the parish on the road to Barn Green. In the south of the village is Catherington House, the seat of Mr. Francis John Douglas. It was built by the first Viscount Hood towards the middle of the eighteenth century, and is several times mentioned in his correspondence. (fn. 1) Queen Caroline was entertained here previous to her trial. Yoells is a tithing situated a mile south of the village. Eastland Gate, Longwood, and Wecock, which is described as 'a place called Wycock' in 1591, are two miles further on.

The village of Horndean, the most populous and rapidly growing part of the parish, lies to the east where the main road from London to Portsmouth meets the road from Havant. The smithy and the national school for boys, built in 1860, are on the road which turns off north-west at the top of the hill towards Catherington. The workhouse for the district is in Horndean, and Messrs. George Gale & Co., Ltd., have a large brewery here. The Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway, opened in 1903, starts from Horndean and runs along the east side of the road through beautiful and well-wooded country. On the east there are woods and commons stretching to Waterlooville:—Hazleton Wood, Blendworth Common, and the Queen's Inclosure, and beyond them can be seen the well-wooded stretches of Havant Thicket and Stanstead Forest. Merchistoun Hall, formerly the residence of Admiral Napier, (fn. 2) is on the outskirts of Horndean, west of the road to Portsmouth. Beyond the hall a narrow road runs off west to the village of Catherington. About half a mile south is Keydell House, the residence of Lieut.-Gen. Sir Drury Curzon Drury-Lowe, the well-wooded grounds of which are skirted by a road which runs off west to Lovedean, a fair-sized hamlet about one and a quarter miles south-west of the village of Catherington. There is a smithy here, and at the corner of the road leading to Hinton Daubnay is a thatched cottage used as a general shop.

Cow Plain is a hamlet situated on the main road to Portsmouth about two miles south of Horndean. There is a general shop here, an inn called 'The Spotted Cow,' and many modern houses. South of Cow Plain and in the extreme south-west of the parish, Hart Plain House formerly stood in grounds extending to the Portsmouth road. The lodge still stands, but the estate called the Hart Plain Estate has been cut up into building-plots. Streets of new houses are already built, and many more roads are marked out. The Forest of Bere is partly within this parish. The soil varies from loam and chalk to stiff clay. The subsoil is chalk and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats. The parish contains 2,287 acres of arable land, 1,478½ acres of permanent grass, and 554¼ acres of wood and pasture. (fn. 3) Catherington Common, Catherington Down, Wecock Common, and Horndean Down were inclosed in 1816. The following are place-names found in the sixteenth century:—Whyttames, Cockcrofte, (fn. 4) Lyewoods, a tree called Shambleayshe, a road called Millway, East Heath, a covert or bushy place called Hasell Deane, (fn. 5) Emerys, Little and Great Asheteedes, the Style Garden, (fn. 6) Durley Grove, Dencrofte, Shortridge, Stonridge, Tibs Purrocke, The Upper Crimpe, Lampitt's Close, and Handells. (fn. 7)

MANORS

CATHERINGTON alias FIVE HEADS, (Fyfehydes in Kateryngton xv cent.; Kathrington alias Kathrington Fyfhed xvi cent.; Catherington alias Fiveheads xviii cent.) is probably included under the heading of 'Ceptune' in the Domesday Book. It seems to have formed part of the great manor of Chalton until the time of Robert de Belesme earl of Shrewsbury and Arundel, lord of Chalton from 1098 to 1102. Its subsequent history, however, for a short time after this was determined by the fact that it was parcel of the honour of Arundel. It was therefore included in the settlement of the castle and honour of Arundel upon Adelicia the widow of Henry I by way of dower, and passed to William de Albini on her marriage with him in 1138. (fn. 8) It remained in the possession of the Albinis, earls of Sussex and Arundel, until 1243, in which year Hugh de Albini earl of Sussex and Arundel died in the 'flower of his youth,' leaving four sisters and co-heirs. (fn. 9) Thus at the time of the Testa de Nevill Catherington was held 'de veteri feoffamento' of the earl of Arundel by the service of one knight's fee. (fn. 10) It was allotted as portion of her inheritance to Nichola third sister of Hugh and wife of Roger de Somery, (fn. 11) and from her descended to her son and heir Roger de Somery, who in 1280 was holding one fee of the king in 'Katerington' of the honour of Arundel. (fn. 12) In the middle of the fourteenth century, however, Catherington, like Chalton, was held of the heir of the duke of Lancaster, as of the honour of Leicester. (fn. 13) It afterwards came to be looked upon as dependent on Chalton. Thus by an inquisition taken in 1442 it was stated to be held of Sir John Montgomery, (fn. 14) who was at that time lord of the manor of Chalton. Again in 1497 it was said to be held of Sir John Norbury, (fn. 15) who was one of those to whom Anne Montgomery had released all her interest in the manor of Chalton in 1496. (fn. 16) A certain Roger Tyrell granted a toft in Catherington to William de Arundel, son and heir of Juliana de Wade, in 1199, to hold of him and his heirs by the rent of a pair of gilt spurs. (fn. 17) Roger was succeeded by Thomas Tyrell, probably his son, who in the reign of Henry III was holding one knight's fee in Catherington of the earl of Arundel. (fn. 18) In 1280 a certain Olive Tyrell, possibly widow of Thomas, held half a knight's fee in Catherington of Roger de Somery. (fn. 19) Early in the fourteenth century Catherington seems to have been divided between two co-heiresses, Joan and Isabel, probably daughters or granddaughters of Thomas Tyrell. Thus in 1302 a messuage, a mill, 300 acres of land, 24 acres of wood, and 20s. rent in Catherington were settled upon Ralph de Hangleton and Joan his wife, and the heirs of Joan, (fn. 20) and in 1316 a messuage and half a carucate of land in Catherington were settled upon Nigel de Coombes in fee-tail with contingent remainder in fee-tail successively to John, Joan, Thomas, and Alice, the children of Isabel Haket, (fn. 21) probably sister of Joan. Ralph de Hangleton had by this time been succeeded by Richard de Hangleton, probably his son. Thus, in 1316, the vill of Catherington was held by Richard de Hangleton and Nicholas de Coombes. (fn. 22) In 1334 occurred a dispute between Sir John Le Strange and Richard de Hangleton, concerning the encroachments of the latter upon the manor of Chalton, an account of which is given under Chalton. (fn. 23)


Albini. Gules a lion or.

Nigel de Coombes died seised of the manor of Applesham in Coombes (co. Sussex) in 1336. (fn. 24) He left no issue, and his half of the manor of Catherington possibly passed to the Joan Haket mentioned in the fine of 1316. This Joan may have been the Joan who married William Bonet, lord of the manor of Wappingthorne in Steyning (co. Sussex), (fn. 25) or her mother. At any rate, William Bonet in 1346 was holding the land in Catherington which Nigel de Coombes had held in 1316, (fn. 26) and it is probable that he held it, as he did most of his property, of his wife's inheritance. Some time between 1346 and 1349 Richard de Hangleton seems to have parted with his moiety of the manor also to William Bonet, who at the time of his death was seised of a messuage, a carucate of land, 3 acres of wood, and 40s. rent in Catherington. (fn. 27) His heir was his son Nigel, aged twenty on 19 January, 1349. In the same year the king granted the custody of William Bonet's property in Catherington to William de Fifhide, to hold until the coming of age of the heir, by the rent of six marks. (fn. 28) Nigel died while still under age, and his widow Margaret shortly afterwards. By the inquisition taken after her death William Bonet, aged fourteen, was found to be Nigel's brother and heir. (fn. 29) William seems to have died shortly after coming of age. (fn. 30) There is no inquisition on his death, but the fact that his manor of Wappingthorne reverted to the over-lord, John Mowbray, duke of Norfolk, who died seised of it in 1362, (fn. 31) seems to support the theory that he died without heirs, probably about 1360. Hence William de Fifhide, to whom the custody of the manor of Catherington had been granted in 1349, probably entered into possession, and died seised in 1361, leaving a son and heir William aged eighteen. (fn. 32) The king, by letters patent, granted the custody of William de Fifhide's lands to Eustace Dabridgecourt, to hold during the minority of his heir William without money-rent. (fn. 33) The latter came of age on the Feast of St. Barnabas 1363, but was not possessed of Catherington until 1365, when the king ordered John de Evesham, escheator of Hampshire, to deliver to him seisin of all his lands in that county. (fn. 34) William died seised of the manor in 1387, his heir being his cousin Joan, the wife of Sir John Sandys and daughter of Agnes, who was sister of Sir William Fifhide, father of William. (fn. 35) From this date the manor was sometimes called the manor of Fifhides or Catherington Fifhide, after the family who had held it. (fn. 36) Catherington remained in the possession of the Sandys family until 12 November, 1602, (fn. 37) when William, Lord Sandys, sold it for £750 to his principal tenant, Humphrey Brett. (fn. 38) The latter, in order apparently to put a stop to the dispute with the earl of Worcester concerning the common of pasture in East Heath, sold it to the earl nine years later. (fn. 39) The descent of the manor has from this time been identical with that of the manor of Chalton (q.v.). It is now represented by the farm of Five Heads, a short distance north of Horndean, on the road between Horndean and the village of Catherington.

In early times there was a windmill within the manor of Catherington Fifhide. It occurs in fines conveying the manor in the fourteenth century, (fn. 40) and in an extent of the manor taken in 1361, (fn. 41) but no trace of it now remains, and it seems to have early fallen into disuse, for there is no mention of a mill in the fine conveying the manor to the earl of Worcester in 1611. (fn. 42)

HINTON DAUBNAY

HINTON DAUBNAY (Henton xiii cent.; Henton Daubeneye and Henton Daubenay xiv cent.; Henton Dawebedney xv cent.; Henton Dawbney and Henton Dowbney xvi cent.) was in early times ten poundsworth of land in the parish of Catherington, held by a Norman, Ralph de Cumbray by name. (fn. 43) On his death it fell as escheat of the Normans to Henry III, who granted it to Juliana Daubnay, to hold to her and her husband William and their heirs by the service of half a knight's fee. (fn. 44) The manor remained with the family of Daubnay until on the death of Ellis Daubnay, in 1383, (fn. 45) it passed to his daughter and heir Elizabeth wife of Andrew Wauton, (fn. 46) to whom in the following year the escheator of Hampshire was ordered to deliver up the manor, together with all the profits therefrom since the death of Ellis. (fn. 47) Three years later Andrew was murdered by his servants Robert Blake, chaplain, and John Balle, at the instigation of Elizabeth. The latter was sentenced to be burned for the crime, and the manor, which was then worth twelve marks a year, was taken into the hands of the king, (fn. 48) who granted it in 1394 to his servants John Luffwyk, yeoman of the chamber, and William Gold. (fn. 49) In 1396, some ten years before his death, John conveyed the manor to trustees, (fn. 50) who finally disposed of it in 1415 to Henry Kesewyk, (fn. 51) on whose death a few years later William Wayte, the escheator of Hampshire, took it into the hands of the king, having ascertained by an inquisition taken in 1420 that it had been purchased without royal licence. (fn. 52) Henry's trustees, Robert Thurberne and William Park, denied this, and accordingly the manor was restored to them, William Wayte being fined 13s. 4d. (fn. 53) For some little time after this the manor was held as a free tenement by William Chamberlayn, (fn. 54) who was most probably the second husband of the widow of Henry Kesewyk, but by 1447 it had descended to Henry son and heir of Henry Kesewyk, who in that year released all right in it to William Port and Joan his wife. (fn. 55) The prior and convent of St. Swithun, Winchester, gained possession of the manor some years afterwards, (fn. 56) and continued seised of it until the dissolution, (fn. 57) when it became the property of the crown. In 1574 Elizabeth granted a messuage and lands called 'Whethames,' and two closes called 'Cockcrofts,' parcels of the manor, to Robert earl of Leicester, (fn. 58) who some time afterwards sold them to Robert Paddon and Arthur Swayne. (fn. 59) The rest of the manor was in 1590 granted to Robert Paddon and John Molesworth, (fn. 60) the latter of whom conveyed his moiety to Arthur Swayne. (fn. 61) While Robert Paddon and Arthur Swayne were lords of the manor of Hinton Daubnay, there occurred a dispute with Edward earl of Worcester concerning the right to common lands called Woodcrofts and a wood called The Lye Wood. (fn. 62) In 1604 Robert Paddon, William Pytt, and William Holcrofte alias Haycrofte, (fn. 63) of New Sarum, conveyed the manor to Sir Nicholas Hyde, (fn. 64) who had married Margaret the daughter of Arthur Swayne. (fn. 65) Sir Nicholas died seised of the manor, capital messuage, and demesne lands of Hinton Daubnay in 1631, leaving a son and heir Arthur, aged thirty-four and more. (fn. 66) Hinton Daubnay, however, passed to his second son Laurence, and continued in the family of Hyde until about the middle of the eighteenth century, (fn. 67) when on the death of — Hyde a minor it descended to his cousin Mr. Tooker, who was the owner in 1768. (fn. 68) His descendant, Mr. Hyde Salmon Whalley-Tooker, is the present lord of the manor.

HINTON MARKAUNT

HINTON MARKAUNT (Henton xiv cent.; Henton Markewaye alias Marchaunte alias Merchaunte xvi cent.; Hinton Merchant xviii cent.). The first mention of this manor seems to be in 1384 when Joan Meyres of Petersfield and her daughter Maud were pardoned for a trespass upon the grange of Sir Robert Markaunt at 'Henton' in the hundred of Finchdean. (fn. 69) Joan the daughter and heir of Sir Robert Markaunt died at the beginning of the fifteenth century, leaving as her heir her kinsman William Levechild of Sheet next Petersfield, from whom the manor of Hinton Markaunt passed, together with West Mapledurham, to John Roger of Bryanston (co. Dors.). (fn. 70) It was afterwards granted to the prior and convent of St. Swithun, Winchester, and remained with them until the dissolution. (fn. 71) Queen Elizabeth, in February, 1576, granted the capital messuage of 'Henton Marchaunte,' with its appurtenances (fn. 72) in the parish of Catherington, to Anthony Rotsey and William Fyssher, to hold of her and her successors by the annual payment of £7 3s. 10d. (fn. 73) A fortnight later Anthony and William sold the manor to Thomas Crompton and John Morley, (fn. 74) who in 1579 sold it to John Foster of Hinton Markaunt for £500. (fn. 75) On the death of the latter the manor descended to his son John Foster, from whom it passed by sale in 1621 to George Garth, of Morden (co. Surr.), (fn. 76) who died seised six years later. (fn. 77) Richard son of George Garth in 1633 sold the manor for £3,100 to George Vaughan and Margaret Caryll, widow of Sir Thomas Caryll, (fn. 78) from whom it was purchased a year later for £3,210 by George Brooke, of Beech, in the parish of Sonning (co. Berks), and Richard Bosson of Wootton Bassett (co. Wilts.). (fn. 79) The latter in 1635 conveyed Hinton Markaunt to Sir Edward Hungerford and William Moore, trustees for William Englefield, a younger son of Sir Francis Englefield, bart. (fn. 80) Mary Fetiplace, the granddaughter of William Englefield, brought the manor into the Caryll family by her marriage with Philip Caryll, (fn. 81) from whom it descended to their only surviving child Elizabeth, the wife of John Walker of Marylebone, who sold it in 1743 to Lieut.-Gen. Robert Dalzell. (fn. 82) The latter by will devised it to his grandson, Robert Dalzell, who sold it at the end of the eighteenth century, (fn. 83) since which time it has become merged with the rest of the Hinton property.


Markaunt. Argent fretty sable with a chief gules.


Roger. Argent a pierced molet sable and a chief or with a fleur-delis gules therein.

HINTON BURRANT

HINTON BURRANT (Henton, xiii cent.; Hienton, xiv cent.; Henton Bourhont, Henton Burhunt, xv cent.; Hinton Burrant and Henton Burrunt, xvii cent.) was a small manor dependent upon the manor of Hinton Daubnay. Thus, in an inquisition taken in 1358 it was stated to be held of Ellis Daubnay by the payment of a penny a year. (fn. 84) Again, in the inquisition taken after Elizabeth Uvedale's death in 1488, it was returned as held of the prior of St. Swithun, Winchester, who was at the time lord of the manor of Hinton Daubnay. (fn. 85) The first document relating to this manor seems to be a fine of 1283, whereby Rose de Henton quitclaimed to Roger de Molton a messuage and 80 acres of land in 'Hinton, near Catherington.' (fn. 86) Five years later Roger de Molton quitclaimed to Richard de Boarhunt and Maud his wife a messuage and 1½ carucates of land in Hinton and at the same time granted to them the reversion of half a carucate of land in the same place after the death of Anne, the wife of Aimery de Kaunvyle. (fn. 87) In the Patent Rolls there are several references to Richard de Boarhunt, in connexion with his property in Hinton. (fn. 88) On the death of Richard de Boarhunt the manor passed to Thomas de Boarhunt, whose son and heir John de Boarhunt in 1342 granted 100s. yearly rent for life from the manor of Hinton, with right to distrain on the manor for any arrears of that rent, to his stepfather, William Danvers. (fn. 89) John died seised of the manor in 1358, leaving a son and heir John, aged fourteen. (fn. 90) The latter, however, must have died shortly afterwards, for in 1363 John the son of Herbert de Boarhunt granted the reversion of the manor after the death of Mary de Boarhunt, by that time the wife of Sir Bernard Brocas, to Valentine atte Mede of Bramdean. (fn. 91) From Valentine it seems to have passed to Sir Robert Markaunt, (fn. 92) lord of the neighbouring manors of West Mapledurham and Hinton Markaunt, and for some time followed the descent of those manors (q.v.), passing with them in 1422 to John Roger of Bryanston (co. Dorset). (fn. 93) The history of the manor for some time after this is somewhat obscure, and nothing definite can be learnt concerning it until 1488, in which year Elizabeth daughter of Sir Henry Norbury of Stoke d'Abernon (co. Surr.), and widow of Sir Thomas Uvedale, died seised of it, leaving a son and heir Robert, aged twenty and more. (fn. 94) The latter died without issue some twelve years later, leaving the manor in dower to his widow Elizabeth, (fn. 95) who subsequently married Thomas Leigh. (fn. 96) In 1529 Arthur Uvedale, who was either the son or grandson of Sir William Uvedale, half-brother of Robert, (fn. 97) granted the reversion of the manor of Hinton, after the death of Elizabeth Leigh, to Henry White and his heirs. (fn. 98) From Henry it passed to Giles White, who in 1572 granted the reversion, after the deaths of William Lawrence and Ellen his wife and Thomas Michelborne and Alice his wife, to Lawrence Michelborne, son of Thomas and Alice. (fn. 99) Twenty years later Lawrence sold Hinton to a yeoman of Catherington, William Chatfield, (fn. 100) who in 1603 joined with John Foster the elder, and John Foster the younger, of Hinton Markaunt, Nicholas Hunt, lord of the manor of Anmore, and others in a dispute with Robert Paddon of Hinton Daubnay, concerning a down or common called Hinton Down or Field. (fn. 101) On the death of William Chatfield the manor descended to his son and heir John, who sold it in 1626 to George Monnox, citizen and haberdasher of London, who in his turn conveyed it in 1629 to George Everlyn and William Christmas in trust for Thomas Keightley, a London merchant. (fn. 102) Thomas must have sold the manor shortly afterwards, for Sir Nicholas Hyde died in 1631 seised of the manor of 'Henton Burrant,' described in the inquisition taken on his death as 'late Chatfield's lands.' (fn. 103) From this time the descent of the manor followed that of Hinton Daubnay (fn. 104) (q.v.).


Boarhunt. Argent a fesse between six martlets gules.

ANMORE

ANMORE (Anedemere and Endemere, xiii cent.; Henton Enedemer and Andemere, xiv cent.; Andemer, Andever, Amner, and Anmer, xvi cent.; Aldemer, xvii cent.) in early times formed part of the manor of Hinton Daubnay. Ralph de Cumbray, when he was lord of the manor, granted 1 virgate of land on the west of the road leading from Anmore to Hinton, and 10 acres on the east of the road next Anmore to his brother William, to hold of him by the annual payment of a gilt spur at Easter. (fn. 105) Shortly afterwards William granted this land to the prior and convent of Southwick, on his admission to their brotherhood, (fn. 106) and his gift was confirmed by Ralph. (fn. 107) Ralph de Cumbray also gave to the same church in free alms 1 virgate of land on the east of Anmore, hard by the ½ hide which he gave to his brother William. (fn. 108) The gifts of Ralph and William were confirmed by their brother Geoffrey, (fn. 109) and by Ellis Daubnay, the latter of whom also in 1340 quitclaimed the services due: suit at his court of Hinton Daubnay and a rent of 2s. (fn. 110) In a deed of 1246, concerning the payment of tithes to the vicar of Catherington by the prior and canons of Southwick from their manor of Anmore, the messuage of the canons is described as situated on the south of the cultivated lands lying on the west of the road leading from the wood to Hinton. (fn. 111) Edward II in 1321 granted to the prior and convent free warren in their demesne lands of 'Andemere,' so long as those lands were not within the bounds of the royal forest. (fn. 112) The following extent of Anmore is given in an inquisition taken in 1381 after the death of Richard Bramdean, prior of Southwick:—20 acres of arable land, worth 3s. 4d. per annum; 20 acres of pasture, worth 20s. per annum; and underwood, worth 3d. per annum. (fn. 113) The manor remained the property of the prior and convent until the dissolution, when it fell into the hands of the king. It was then of the annual value of £3, which sum was made up as follows:—9s. 5d. rents of assize, 14s. 7d. rents of customary tenants, and £1 16s. farm of the site of the capital messuage. (fn. 114) It was granted at the same time as the manor of Weston to Frances Palmer and her issue by William Stone, (fn. 115) and, like Weston (q.v.), ultimately passed into the possession of Stephen Vachell and Mary his wife, (fn. 116) who sold it in 1593 to Nicholas Hunt. (fn. 117) Felix son of Nicholas Hunt died in 1638 seised of the manor of Amner alias Andemer alias Aldemer, and common of pasture and free warren in Catherington, leaving a son and heir George, aged sixteen. (fn. 118) It seems probable that soon after this the manor was bought by the Hyde family, and became merged with the rest of the Hinton estates, of which it has formed a part for over two centuries. At the present day Anmore is the property of Mr. Hyde Salmon Whalley-Tooker.

HORMER

HORMER (Horemare, Horemeare, Hormare Farm, Henton Hormere, and Henton Horner, xvi cent.) was a small manor dependent on the manor of Hinton Daubnay (q.v.), and followed the same descent. At the time of the dissolution the capital messuage was farmed out to William Padwick at a rent of £1 2s. (fn. 119) There are several references to it in the depositions of witnesses taken in the course of the lawsuit between Edward earl of Worcester and the lords of the manor of Hinton Daubnay in 1591. (fn. 120) Thus one witness declared that he knew John Goodwyn, surveyor to the Queen's Majesty's, dwelling in a 'farm called Hormer,' parcel of the manor of Hinton Daubnay, to fell and take certain timber trees within the ground called Woodcrofts for the building of that farm-house, and also take at divers times firewood there for his fuel to spend in the same farm-house. In the inquisition taken after the death of Sir Nicholas Hyde it is described as the farm called 'Hormer Farm' in Hormer. (fn. 121) Up to within twenty years ago the village was represented by three very old cottages. These have now been pulled down, but the piece of ground on which they stood is still called 'Harmer.' (fn. 122)

LOVEDEAN

LOVEDEAN (Loveden xvii cent.). William Tisted, lord of the manors of West Tisted and Woodcote in Bramdean, died in 1511 seised of six messuages, 200 acres of arable land, 100 acres of pasture, 4 acres of meadow, and 2 acres of wood in the vills and parishes of Catherington and Blendworth, which were held of George earl of Shrewsbury as of his manor of Chalton. (fn. 123) On the death of his brother and heir Thomas without issue a few years later these tenements were divided among his four sisters and coheirs and their descendants. (fn. 124) Three of them sold their moieties to Richard Norton, (fn. 125) whose descendant Richard Norton died in 1584 seised of certain lands and tenements in Catherington, leaving a son and heir Anthony, (fn. 126) who ten years later granted threefourths of the manor of Catherington to his sister Isabel Norton. (fn. 127) Isabel married Thomas Lovedean of East Meon, from which circumstance the manor in after years was called the manor of Lovedean. Thomas was a recusant, and in 1608 two-thirds of his lands and tenements lying in Blendworth and Catherington, of the yearly value of £3 12s., which he held in right of Isabel his wife, were granted to John Casewell, Christopher Stubbes, and Thomas Hutchinson, until the end of a term of forty-one years. (fn. 128) On the death of Thomas and Isabel the property in Catherington descended to Anthony Lovedean, on whose death in 1635 it was described as a cottage and 50 acres in Catherington, a messuage called Lovedean, and 5½ acres in Catherington held of the manor of Chalton by a rent of 1s. 4½d. (fn. 129) His heir was his son Sebastian, aged ten and a half years, who was a recusant like his grandfather. (fn. 130) John Hoare, whose family had been settled in Catherington as early as the reign of Henry VIII, (fn. 131) seems to have purchased the property shortly afterwards, but there seems to be no record of the sale. In 1639 his widow Anne purchased the remaining moiety of the manor of Lovedean from Thomas Hayes and Penelope his wife. (fn. 132) The history of this moiety after the death of Thomas Tisted is uncertain. It descended to William Tisted's granddaughter Mary, the wife of Sir Edward Rogers, and by fine of 1551 was settled on them for the term of their lives, with remainder to their son George Rogers and Joan his wife in fee-tail; (fn. 133) but it seems impossible to ascertain whether Thomas and Penelope were holding it by right of inheritance, or whether they had purchased it. John and Anne Hoare left two daughters and co-heirs. The manor of Lovedean passed to Anne, the wife of William Ellson of Barham and of Oving (co. Suss.), (fn. 134) and remained in the family of Ellson for about a century, William Ellson dealing with it by recovery in 1739. (fn. 135) The manor was subsequently purchased by the lord of the neighbouring manor of Hinton Daubnay, and still forms part of the Hinton Daubnay estates.


Ellson. Argent a chief azure with an eagle gules over all.

LUDMORE

LUDMORE (Ledmere xiv cent.; Lidmer xvi cent.; Ludmere xvii cent.) formed part of the manor of Hinton Burrant, and was sold by John Chatfield in 1629 (fn. 136) to Thomas Keightley, from whom it passed by sale to Sir Nicholas Hyde. It still forms part of the Hinton estate. In an indenture of 1629 the following description is given of the property:—A messuage called Ludmore alias Ludmere, sometime in the occupation of one Barnard, a close called the 'Home Close' containing 10 acres, a close called 'Cunstables' containing 26 acres, a close called 'Credies' containing 12 acres, a close lying to the north of the mansion house of Sir Nicholas Hyde in Hinton Daubnay, and a close of pasture and wood called 'Harecroft' containing 10 acres. (fn. 137)

In the fourteenth century Henry son of Herbert de Boarhunt granted to the prior and convent of Southwick the land of 'Aldelond' and 7 acres by 'Ledmere' at Hinton, which Robert de Henton had given him. (fn. 138) These lands subsequently formed part of the manor of Anmore, and passed with it to Nicholas Hunt, who in 1600 sold them to Arthur Swayne of Hinton Daubnay, (fn. 139) from whom they passed by sale, together with the manor of Hinton Daubnay, to Sir Nicholas Hyde.

CHURCH

The church of ST. KATHERINE has a chancel 25 ft. in length, continuous with a nave of 52ft., the width of both being 18ft. 3 in. On the north side of the chancel is a chapel 27 ft. 3 in. by 16ft. 3 in., its east wall being in a line with that of the chancel, and to the south-west of the chancel is a vestry and organ chamber 19ft. deep by 13ft. east to west. The nave has north and south aisles, and a south-west tower 10ft. 4 in. square, all measurements being internal.

The greater part of the building belongs to the end of the twelfth century and the beginning of the thirteenth, and, though doubtless developed from an older church, gives but little evidence of its predecessor's size and arrangements. The south arcade of the nave and the south-west tower date probably from the last decade of the twelfth century, and from the evidence of the masonry seem to be contemporary with each other. The older nave, probably of the same width as the present, may at this time have been lengthened by 12ft. The rebuilding of the north side of the church seems to have been undertaken with little if any interval after the completion of the tower and south arcade. If, as seems probable, the older church had a chancel narrower than its nave, it was now removed, the new work being built outside its lines after the usual fashion. The north arcade was set out to range with the south arcade, and continued eastward for two more bays, the eastern bay being only half the width of the others. The north aisle, which now runs as far west as the nave, may have been in the first instance one bay shorter, and equal in length to the south aisle. The north chapel appears to be contemporary with the arcade, but its length has not been determined by the spacing of the bays, or by any other obvious reason.

In 1883 the building was extensively repaired, £3,086 being spent on the work.

The chancel has an east window of three lights, the rear arch having engaged shafts in the jambs and a moulded head, c. 1300, while the tracery is of fifteenth-century style. In the south wall is a square-headed window of two cinquefoiled lights, of late fifteenth-century date, and west of it a wide modern arch to the organ chamber. In the southeast corner of the chancel is a trefoiled piscina recess with a stone shelf, of the same date as the rear arch of the east window, but with a modern label. The arcade on the north of the chancel is continuous with that of the nave, and forms one design, the pillars being alternately round and octagonal, the eastern respond and the second and fourth pillars from the east belonging to the octagonal type. The arches are semicircular of two moulded orders, the inner with an arris between two filleted rolls, and the outer having single rolls, also filleted. The capitals and bases are moulded, the section of the octagonal bases differing from that of the round as regards the upper member, which has a plain roll on the round bases, and a half-octagonal one on the octagonal bases. The capital of the western respond is unlike the rest, and has a late type of scallop. It seems possible that the first work, which, as already said, comprised the south arcade and tower, and lengthening of the nave, may have also included the western respond of the north arcade; in any case the pause between the two works can not have been a long one.

The north chapel has two lancet windows in the east wall, and between them on the site of the altar stands the large monument of Nicholas Hyde, 1631, described below. Above it in the gable is a circular window of the same date as the lancets, and the wall is covered with modern painted decoration. In the north wall are two windows, that to the east being of two square-headed lights of no great age, but having a moulded rear-arch and engaged jamb shafts like those of the east window of the chancel, c. 1300. Below its sill is a moulded string, with a carved head in the middle of its length. The second window has two modern uncusped lancet lights.

The south arcade of the nave is of three bays with round pillars, scalloped capitals, and moulded bases, and the arches are semicircular, of two moulded orders. The south aisle wall has no old features except the doorway at its west end, close to the tower; this has a semicircular head and rear-arch, and nook-shafts on the outer face with foliate capitals, and is probably contemporary with the aisle. (fn. 140) On the east face of the tower, against which the aisle abuts, is a raking weathering showing the line of the original roof, from which it appears that the walls over the south arcade and also the wall of the aisle were at first lower. The doorway must have been reset, as its rear-arch is now too high to go under the line of the late twelfth-century roof, and the position of the eastern arch of the tower makes it unlikely that the aisle was ever narrower than at present. At the east end of the south aisle is an opening to the south chapel; this has in its east wall a square-headed window of two trefoiled lights, perhaps c. 1340, and on the south a window of two cinquefoiled lights, also square-headed, of fifteenth-century date.

All windows in both aisles of the church are modern, and at the west end of the north arcade of the nave is a modern arch of the same general detail as the north arch of the tower, opening to the nave from the west end of the aisle. In the north wall a blocked doorway is to be seen, corresponding in position with that in the south aisle. The southwest tower is of three stages, the top stage being of eighteenth-century date in red brick and embattled, with a leaded cupola, while the lower stages, having shallow clasping buttresses at the angles, belong to the end of the twelfth century, and have small roundheaded lights on the south and west on the ground and second stages. The tower opens to the nave by plain pointed arches of two orders on the north and east, 7ft. and 4ft. wide respectively, with chamfered strings at the springing. The weathering already noticed on its east face continues horizontally on the north face, and shows that the original roof of the nave was carried down in an unbroken line over the south aisle.

In the west wall of the nave is a plain pointed thirteenth-century doorway with a moulded label, and over it two lancets, with a circular window in the gable, all the stonework in the windows being modern. The church contains no ancient fittings, but the nave roof is a fine specimen, with tiebeams and collars, and curved struts and windbraces, and is probably of fourteenth-century date.

On the north wall of the nave is a large early fourteenth-century painting of St. Michael weighing souls, the end of the balance being held down by our Lady.

The church contains many modern monuments of the Napiers, but the only tomb of any architectural interest is that of Nicholas Hyde and his wife, already mentioned, set against the east wall of the north chapel. It is an altar tomb on which lie the two effigies, with an arched panel containing the inscription on the wall above them. Above is a cornice and pediment carried on black marble columns with Corinthian capitals, surmounted by figures of Justice and Wisdom, while in the arched panel are other figures of Time and Death. On the base of the tomb are kneeling figures of six sons and four daughters, and in the pediment a shield bearing Hyde (az. a chevron between three lozenges or, differenced with a molet gules, impaling azure a chevron between three pheons or, and on a chief gules three maidens' heads, or (Swaine of Sarson).

Against the external north-west angle of the north chapel is set the shaft and part of the head of a stone cross. The shaft is 6ft. high, with beaded edges, and the remains of the head 2 ft. 6 in. high are carved with a Crucifixion between our Lady and St. John, of fourteenth-century style. Near by in the churchyard is a fourteenth-century coffin slab.

In the tower are six bells, the treble and second by Mears and Stainbank, 1887, and the fourth by the same founders, 1888, while the third, fifth, and tenor, are by Wells of Aldbourne, 1751, having the inscription as usual with this founder, on the sound bow instead of the shoulder.

The church plate includes a silver communion cup given by Lawrence Hyde and Alice his wife in 1660, and engraved with a figure of Christ as the Good Shepherd, with the words: 'Ecce Agnus Dei,' and 'Congratulamini mihi'; a paten of 1663, given by Mrs. Hyde Whalley-Tooker, and a plated paten and flagon given in 1870.

The first book of the registers contains baptisms, marriages, and burials from 1602 to 1640, the second from 1640 to 1680, and the third from 1680 to 1701. There is another book in duplicate with baptisms and marriages 1681–1701, and the later books have (5) baptisms and marriages 1701–54, (6) burials for the same period, (7) baptisms and marriages 1754–1812, and (8) burials for the same period.

ADVOWSON

The church of ST. KATHERINE, CATHERINGTON, was originally a rectory, but on 21 April, 1292, Bishop John of Pontoise decreed, on the petition of the prioress and convent of Nuneaton who held the patronage, that on the death or resignation of the existing rector it should be converted into a vicarage, and the rectorial or greater tithes be appropriated to the nuns. (fn. 141) The prioress and convent presented the vicars until the dissolution, (fn. 142) when the advowson passed to the crown. Edward VI and Mary granted the advowson to the bishop of Winchester in 1551 and 1558 respectively. (fn. 143) Elizabeth, however, by some means regained possession, presented Richard Roberts in 1561, (fn. 144) and in 1590 by letters patent granted it to Arthur Swayne and Henry Best. (fn. 145) The latter sold it the same year to Thomas Neale and Elizabeth his wife, (fn. 146) who dealt with it by fine in 1603. (fn. 147) The advowson remained for over eighty years in the Neale family, (fn. 148) in the course of which period Sir William Lewis, bart., presented in 1634 and 1660. (fn. 149) Thomas Neale sold it in 1674 to John Bugby, of the parish of Stepney, 'mariner,' (fn. 150) who presented to the vicarage in 1684 and 1690. (fn. 151) From him it seems to have passed to William Sutton and Hannah his wife, who dealt with it by recovery in 1733. (fn. 152) John Williams was presented in 1740 by John Brett, (fn. 153) who ten years later sold the advowson to the duke of Beaufort. (fn. 154) The advowson then followed that of Chalton until early in the nineteenth century, (fn. 155) when it was sold by Mr. Jervoise Clarke-Jervoise. Mr. George Pritchard presented in 1857, and Mr. John Pritchard in 1872. (fn. 156) Mr. John Pritchard sold the advowson to the Rev. Robert Fitzgerald Maynard, M.A., who has been vicar of Catherington since 1877, and is the present patron of the living.

There is a mission room at Lovedean in which service is held during the week, and school on Sundays.

CHARITIES

For the educational charities of William Appleford, will 1696, Mrs. Margaret Lind Henville, will 1866, and of Miss Anne Harvey, will 1874, see article on 'Schools' (V.C.H. Hants, ii, 397).

In 1846 John Richards by will left £307 6s. consols (with the official trustees), dividends to be applied for the benefit of the poor at the discretion of the vicar for the time being. The annual dividends amounting to £7 13s. 8d. are duly applied.

Church Acre.

The parish had been in possession from time immemorial of 1a. 3 r., known as the Church Acre, which in 1876 was sold with the sanction of the Charity Commissioners, and proceeds invested in £119 9s. 9d. Consols with the official trustees. The dividends, amounting to £2 18s. 4d., are remitted to the churchwardens for church repairs.

Lovedean.

John Ring, by will proved 1834, left a legacy for education of poor labourers' children in this hamlet, now represented by £207 7s. 8d. Consols with the official trustees, regulated by scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 22 December, 1897.

Footnotes

1 In a letter to the duke of Rutland in 1784 he calls it 'his little farm at Catherington, near Petersfield' (Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. pt. i, 134).
2 He purchased it from Colonel Conway towards the middle of the eighteenth century, and changed its name from The Grove to that of his birth-place, Merchistoun Hall, in Stirlingshire.
3 Statistics from the Board of Agriculture (1905).
4 Pat. 16 Eliz. pt. 8, m. 27.
5 Special Com. 33 Eliz. No. 2039; Exch. Bills and Answs. Eliz. Hants, No. 81.
6 Pat. 18 Eliz. pt. 7, m. 18–22.
7 Close, 19 Jas. I, pt. 33, No. 36. There is still a Stoneridge Farm in the north of the parish near the Bat and Ball Inn.
8 G. E. C. Complete Peerage, i, 140.
9 Ibid. 144.
10 Testa de Nevill (Rec. Com.), 231b.
11 G. E. C. Complete Peerage, i, 142.
12 Assize R. Mich. 8 Edw. I.
13 Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, pt. 1, No. 88, and 10 Rich. II, No. 17.
14 Inq. p.m. 20 Hen. VI, No. 35.
15 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xi, No. 110.
16 Close, 11 Hen. VII, No. 20.
17 Feet of F. Hants, 1 John, No. 10.
18 Testa de Nevill (Rec. Com.), 231b.
19 Assize R. Mich. 8 Edw. I.
20 Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 30 Edw. I. Ralph probably owned land in Hangleton, which is a hamlet in the parish of Ferring (co. Sussex).
21 Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 9 Edw. II.
22 Feud. Aids, ii, 318. Five years later a messuage, a mill, 300 acres of land, 4 acres of meadow, 18 acres of wood, and 38s. rent in Catherington were settled by fine between Richard de Hangleton and Juliana de Putlegh on Richard and his heirs (Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 15 Edw. II).
23 Anct. D. (P.R.O.), B, 3481.
24 Dallaway, Suss. ii, pt. 2, p. 110.
25 Elwes and Robinson, Castles, Mansions, and Manors of Western Suss. 70.
26 Feud. Aids, ii, 335.
27 Abbrev. Rot. Orig. (Rec. Com.), ii, 201.
28 Ibid.
29 Inq. p.m. 24 Edw. III, No. 105.
30 Ibid. 32 Edw. III (1st Nos.), No. 57.
31 Dallaway, Suss. ii, pt. 2, p. 161.
32 Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, pt. 1, No. 88. The inquisition gives the following extent of the manor:—Two capital messuages, a dovecote, a windmill, 207 acres of arable land in severalty; 150 acres of land in common, of which 12 acres can be sown, and the rest lie uncultivated and cannot be valued because they are common; pasture in severalty containing 6 acres; 8 acres of wood, the underwood and pasturage of which are worth 18d.; a certain profit of 'housbote' and 'haibote' to be received from the wood of the lord of Chalton; rents of eight free tenants; rents of tenants at will, 45s. 6d.; pleas and perquisites of court, 3s. 4d.
33 Pat. 6 Ric. II, pt. 1, m. 5 and 4.
34 Ibid.
35 Inq. p.m. 10 Ric. II, No. 17.
36 Thus in 1431 Walter Sandys was said to be holding half of one knight's fee called 'Fyfehydes in Kateryngton' (Feud. Aids, ii, 362). Again, in 1591, the name of the manor is given as 'Kathrington' alias 'Kathrington Fyfhed' (Exch. Bills and Answs. Eliz. Hants, No. 81, m. 2). It is described as the manor of Catherington alias Fiveheads in 1736 (Recov. R. Mich. 10 Geo. II, m. 1), and as the manor of Five Heads in 1774 (Recov. R. East. 14 Geo. III, m. 181).
37 Feud. Aids, ii, 358 and 362; Inq. p. m. 20 Hen. VI, No. 35, and 24 Hen. VI, No. 40; Feet of F. Hants, East. 9 Hen. VII; De Banc. R. East. 9 Hen. VII, m. 21; Chan. Inq. p.m. (ser. 2) xi, No. 110; Exch. Dep. 34 and 35 Eliz. Mich. No. 8.
38 Close, 45 Eliz. pt. 5.
39 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 9 Jas. I.
40 Ibid. Trin. 30 Edw. I, and Mich. 15 Edw. II.
41 Inq. p. m. 35 Edw. III, pt. 1, No. 88.
42 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 9 Jas. I.
43 Assize R. Mich. 8 Edw. I.
44 Ibid. Hund. R. (Rec. Com.), ii, 223.
45 Feud. Aids, ii, 318; Inq. p.m. 6 Edw. III (2nd Nos.) No. 3a.: Abbrev. Rot. Orig. (Rec. Com.), ii, 96; Feud. Aids, ii, 335; Inq. p.m. 26 Edw. III, (2nd Nos.), No. 43.
46 Inq. p.m. 7 Ric. II, No. 31. In 1373 the reversion of the manor, after the death of Ellis, was granted to Sir Gilbert Giffard and Elizabeth his wife and the heirs of Elizabeth. (Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 47 Edw. III; Inq. p.m. 47 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 46). After Gilbert's death Elizabeth married as her second husband Andrew Wauton.
47 Close, 8 Ric. II, m. 50d.
48 Coram Rege R. East. II Ric. II.
49 Pat. 18 Ric. II, pt. 1, m. 27.
50 Inq. p.m. 9 Hen. IV, No. 25.
51 Feet of F. Hants, Hil. 3 Hen. V.
52 Memo. R. L.T.R. Trin. 9 Hen. V, m. 13. It was also ascertained by this inquisition that the manor was held of the king in capite by the service of finding for him one hobbler (habellarius—a light horseman riding a hobby) whenever he crossed into Scotland in time of war. This statement was denied by Robert Thurberne and William Park.
53 Memo. R. L.T.R. Trin. 9 Hen. V, m. 13.
54 Feud. Aids, ii, 358 and 362.
55 Close, 25 Hen. VI, m. 22; Pat. 29 Hen. VI, m. 35 d.
56 It seems probable that they were already seised of it in 1474, as in that year Richard Smyth, late of 'Henton Dawebedney,' husbandman, was pardoned for not appearing to answer Robert Westgate, prior of the cathedral church of St. Swithun, Winchester, touching a debt of £40 (Pat. 14 Edw. IV, pt. 1, m. 25).
57 Mins. Accts. Hants, 32 and 33 Hen. VIII, No. 109, m. 49.
58 Pat. 16 Eliz. pt. 8, m. 27.
59 Exch. Bills and Answs. Eliz. Hants, No. 81, m. 3.
60 Pat. 32 Eliz. pt. 8, m. 9, 10, 11.
61 Exch. Bills and Answs. Eliz. Hants, No. 81, m. 3.
62 Special Com. 33 Eliz. No. 2039; Exch. Bills and Answs. Eliz. Hants, No. 81. Many witnesses declared that Woodcrofts was often called 'the king's purlieu of the manor of Henton Dawbney.' One witness, John Goodwyn by name, asserted that he had always maintained Woodcrofts as a purlieu, often coursing his greyhounds out of it and killing deer within the Forest of East Bere.
63 In 1603 Robert Paddon conveyed the manor to William Holcrofte and William Pytt (Close, 45 Eliz. pt. 6), and again in 1604 (Feet of F. Hants, East. 2 Jas. I).
64 Close, 2 Jas. I.
65 Hoare, Wilts. iv, 131.
66 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), Misc. dxxvi, No. 9.
67 Recov. R. East. 2 Will. and Mary, rot. 5.
68 The Hampshire Repository (1799), ii, 204; Add. MS. 9458, fol. 69 and 78.
69 Pat. 7 Ric. II, pt. 2, m. 11.
70 Close, 13 Hen. IV, m. 2, and 1 Hen. VI, m. 21.
71 Mins. Accts. Hants, 32 & 33 Hen. VIII, m. 49.
72 Lands called 'Emerys; crofts called 'Little Asheteddes' and 'Great Asheteddes'; lands called 'Les Leye,' in Hinton Daubnay, and a parcel of land called 'The Style Garden' in Hormer.
73 Pat. 18 Eliz. pt. 7, m. 18–22.
74 Close, 18 Eliz. pt. 5.
75 Ibid. 21 Eliz. pt. 6.
76 Ibid. 19 Jas. I, pt. 33, No. 36. The premises are thus described in the indenture:—The manor, grange, capital messuage and farm of Henton Marchant, lands called The Lees, Barlie Asted, Wheate Asted, Fetch Asted, Chawcrofte, the Barnefield, Durley Grove, Dencroft, Shortridge, Stonridge, Tibs Purrocke, Embres Meade, Oate Purrocke, Kingstoncrofte, The Upper and Lower Crumpe, Lampitts Close, The Homefield, The Gaston, The Outer Gaston, The Water Hill, The Outer Hill, Handells, Upper and Lower Breach, Breach garden meadow, and the Lawrences, a wood called Lee wood, the two Dencroft coppices, common in the Hurste and Lampitts coppice, fields in Henton Down, and common of pasture in the Forest of East Bere.
77 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2) 3 Chas. I, pt. 1, No. 104.
78 Close, 9 Chas. I, pt. 4, No. 12.
79 Ibid. 10 Chas. I, pt. 9, No. 21.
80 Vide Recov. R. Hil. 1656, rot. 131. This William Englefield was a recusant (Cal. of Com. for Compounding, iii, 1793).
81 Vide Recov. R. Hil. 12 Anne, rot. 19, and Close, 17 Geo. II, pt. 8, No. 22. In a fine of 1691 the manor is called the manor of North Hinton (Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 3 Will. and Mary).
82 Close, 17 Geo. II, pt. 8, No. 22.
83 Recov. R. East. Geo. III, rot. 216. It was then a farm worth £60 a year.
84 Inq. p.m. 33 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 103.
85 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), iv, No. 16.
86 Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 11 Edw. I.
87 Ibid. East. 16 Edw. I.
88 Thus, for example, in 1303 a commission of oyer and terminer was granted to Philip de Hoyvill and Baldwin de Bellany, touching the persons who by night broke a dyke belonging to Richard de Boarhunt at 'Henton by Caterington,' cut down the trees in his wood there and carried them away (Pat. 31 Edw. I, m. 17 d.). Again, in 1319, a commission of oyer and terminer was granted to Ralph de Camoys, William de Harden, and Ralph de Bereford, on complaint by Richard de Boarhunt that Richard de Hangleton with others had assaulted him at 'Henton by Kateryngton' (Pat. 13 Edw. III, m. 35 d.).
89 Close, 16 Edw. III, pt. 2, m. 30d.
90 Inq. p.m. 33 Edw. III (2nd Nos.), No. 103. In 1344 the manor had been settled on John and Mary his wife and their issue (Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 18 Edw. III).
91 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 37 Edw. III.
92 Anct. D. (P.R.O.), B 2543.
93 Close, 1 Hen. VI, m. 21.
94 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), iv, No. 16.
95 Ibid. xv, No. 7.
96 Surr. Arch. Coll. iii, 106.
97 Ibid. Misc. Gen. et Her. (2nd Ser.) vol. v.
98 Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 21 Hen. VIII.
99 Ibid. East. 14 Eliz.
100 Ibid. East. 34 Eliz.
101 Special Com. 1 Jas. I, No. 4469.
102 Recov. R. Mich. 2 Chas. I, rot. 70; Close, 4 Chas. I, pt. 10, No. 8, and pt. 17, No. 5.
103 Chan. Inq. p. m. (Ser. 2), Misc. dxxvi, No. 9.
104 Recov. R. East. 2 Will. and Mary, rot. 5.
105 Add. MS. 33284, fol. 442.
106 Ibid. fol. 444.
107 Ibid. fol. 443.
108 Ibid. Ralph also granted to the church of Southwick the service of his man Ernald, together with the whole land of 'Bekewode,' which he held of him, paying thence annually to him and his heirs 2s. sterling at the Feast of St. Giles (ibid. fol. 442).
109 Ibid. fol. 444.
110 Ibid. fol. 445.
111 Ibid.
112 Add. MS. 33280, fol. 103.
113 Ibid. fol. 275.
114 Ibid. Mins. Accts. Hants, 32 & 33 Hen. VIII, No. 109.
115 Pat. 37 Hen. VIII, pt. 11.
116 Pat. 13 Eliz. pt. 8, m. 38; Feet of F. Hants, East. 13 Eliz.
117 Feet of F. Hants, Hil. 35 Eliz.
118 Chan. Inq. p.m. 14 Chas. I (Ser. 2), pt. 1, No. 75.
119 Mins. Accts. Hants, 32 & 33 Hen. VIII, No. 109, m. 49.
120 Exch. Spec. Com. 33 Eliz. No. 2039.
121 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), Misc. dxxvi, No. 9.
122 Information received from Mrs. H. Whalley-Tooker.
123 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xxvi, No. 13.
124 Berry, Hants Gen. 29.
125 Vide Feet of F. Hants, Mich. 11 Hen. VIII.
126 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2) cccli, No. 82.
127 Close, 36 Eliz. pt. 3; Add. MS. 33278, fol. 131b.
128 Pat. 6 Jas. I, pt. 3, No. 15.
129 Add. MS. 33284, fol. 461.
130 Cal. of Com. for Compounding, iii, 1788.
131 Subs. R. Hants, bdle. 173, No. 218.
132 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Mich. 15 Chas. I.
133 Ibid. Mich. 5 Edw. VI.
134 Elwes and Robinson, Western Suss. 161.
135 Recov. R. Hil. 13 Geo. II, rot. 298.
136 Close, 4 Chas. I, pt. 10, No. 5.
137 Ibid. There is still a Constable's Copse to the north of Ludmore.
138 Add. MS. 33280, fol. 150–2.
139 Add. MS. 33278, fol. 150b; Close, 42 Eliz. pt. 12.
140 On its outer face is an incised sun-dial.
141 Egerton MS. 2031, fol. 17.
142 Winton. Epis. Reg. (Hants. Rec. Soc.), 514. Egerton MS. 2032, fol. 134; 2033, fol. 20; 2034, fols. 35 and 80.
143 Pat. 5 Edw. VI, pt. 6, m. 26; and 5 & 6 Phil. and Mary, pt. 4, No. 7.
144 Catherington par. reg.
145 Pat. 32 Eliz. pt. 23, m. 9–15.
146 Close, 32 Eliz. pt. 14. By the indenture the advowson was settled in tail male on Thomas and Elizabeth with contingent remainder in tail male successively to Walter and Francis, brothers of Thomas.
147 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 1 Jas. I.
148 W. and L. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), bdle. 32, No. 129; Recov. R. Mich. 11 Chas. II, rot. 102, and Mich. 21 Chas. II, rot. 237.
149 Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.).
150 Close, 26 Chas. II, pt. 22, No. 20.
151 Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.).
152 Recov. R. Mich. 7 Geo. II, rot. 301.
153 Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.).
154 Feet. of F. Hants, Trin. 24 Geo. II.
155 Recov. R. East. 14 Geo. III, rot. 181, Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.). With one exception, viz. in 1790, when the vicar was presented by the dean and canons of Windsor (Inst. Bks.).
156 Catherington par. reg.


<--Previous:
Parishes:
Buriton