Parishes
Privett

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1908

Page

336

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Privett', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3 (1908), pp. 336. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41991 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PRIVETT

Pryvet (xiv cent.); Pryvate (xvi cent.).

The parish of Privett, containing about 1,279 acres, 31¼ acres of which are arable land and 30¼ acres permanent grass, (fn. 1) lies east of Winchester on high ground which rises to nearly 600 ft. above the sea level in several parts of the parish. The village is in the south of the parish, and consists mainly of a number of scattered farms and cottages grouped for the most part at Filmer Hill in the west, at Bailey Green, and at the junction of the road from West Tisted to Petersfield with a branch road coming from Froxfield. Holy Trinity Church with the vicarage and schools is in this latter group, the nucleus of the village, the church standing in a fine situation on high ground overlooking the Meon valley south of the Froxfield road, while the vicarage is to the north. The schools lie away a few yards to the south, to the west of the road to Petersfield, which here makes a rapid winding descent to the south to meet the main road from Winchester to Petersfield. The Wheatsheaf Inn and the smithy are situated in the midst of pine trees near Filmer Hill.

Privett station on the Meon Valley line lies north of the village a few yards east of the Alton road. After passing the railway station the Alton road runs parallel to the railway line, which is, however, hidden by high hedges and pine trees. One of the entrances to Basing Park (which is in Froxfield parish, though some of the copses and farms in the southern part of the estate are in Privett) is on the right of this road, which leaves the parish after passing Basing farm.

The soil is varied: on the chalk-hills it is loam and stiff clay, in the valleys it is stiff clay. The subsoil is chalk. The chief crops are oats, wheat, barley and beans.

MANORS

There is no manor of PRIVETT at the present day; and there is no reference to a manor in Privett before the seventeenth century.

Privett seems to have been merely part of the manor of West Meon; for in 1391 the chapel of Holy Trinity at Privett in the parish of West Meon is mentioned, (fn. 2) and it is mentioned as part of the manor of West Meon in the valuation of the lands lately belonging to St. Swithun's monastery, which were granted by Henry VIII to the dean and chapter of Winchester. (fn. 3) From this time the descent of Privett follows that of West Meon manor (q.v.). (fn. 4)

CHURCH

The modern church of the HOLY TRINITY, PRIVETT, is a fine flint structure with Doulting stone dressings in thirteenth-century style. It consists of a chancel, a clearstoried nave of four bays with aisles, transepts, and north porch, and a western tower with a spire, containing eight bells, cast in 1878.

The church was built in 1876–8, from the designs of J. L. Pearson, and occupies the site of the old church, of which nothing now remains. It is a very fine specimen of Pearson's work, its tall spire being a landmark for miles around.

The plate is modern (1878), and consists of chalice and paten and credence paten with a silver-mounted glass flagon.

The first book of registers contains the baptisms 1538–1632, marriages 1545–1626, and burials 1552–1632. The second contains all entries from 1653 to 1714, and a note of briefs 1705–12. The third runs from 1712 to 1776, the marriages ceasing in 1752, and the fourth has baptisms and burials 1776–1812. All entries between 1632 and 1653, and the marriage registers 1753–1812, appear to be missing.

ADVOWSON

The earliest mention of a chapel in Privett is in the year 1391, when an indulgence was granted to penitents who gave alms to 'the fabric' of the chapel of Holy Trinity at Privett, in the parish of West Meon. (fn. 5)

The chapelry of Privett continued to be attached to the church of West Meon (fn. 6) (q.v.) until 1874, when it was formed into a separate (fn. 7) ecclesiastical benefice; the church was rebuilt in 1834. (fn. 8)

The living is now a vicarage in the gift of Mr. William Nicholson of Basing Park, who bore the expense of the last rebuilding.

Footnotes

1 Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
2 Cal. Pap. Letters, iv, 356.
3 Winch. Cath. Doc. (Hants Rec. Soc.), i, 91.
4 Recov. R. Mich. 16 Chas. II, m. 102; ibid. East. 13 Geo. III, m. 347.
5 Cal. Pap. Letters, iv, 356.
6 Conspectus Dioc. Winton. 1854, p. 16.
7 Clergy List, 1874.
8 Conspectus Dioc. Winton. 1854, p. 16.