The Church estate in the
parish of ST. OSWALD originally consisted of allotments on
Elvet Moor, containing 4½ acres, and four
burgage tenements in Hallgarth Street, which
were sold in 1877 and the proceeds invested in
£1,029 16s. 9d. consols, with the official trustees.
The annual dividends, amounting to £25 14s. 8d.,
are applied in the payment of the salary of the
sexton and church expenses.
In 1701 the Rev. John Cock, by his will,
directed £600 to be invested in land, the
income arising therefrom to be spent in teaching poor girls, in apprenticing boys, in medical aid, in clothes and money to poor, and
in distribution of bibles and other religious
The property consisted of a farm, known as
Elvet Farm, containing 44 a. 2 r., of the annual
rental value of £70. The farm was sold in 1921
and the proceeds invested in £6,115 5s. 2d.
2½ per cent. consols, with the official receivers,
producing £152 17s. 8d. yearly. In 1925 the net
income was applied in the payment of £5 5s. to
the Durham County Hospital; of £10 to St.
Oswald's Schools; £2 10s. in books; £15 for
medical purposes, and the balance, in money and
clothing, to the poor.
Township of Elvet. In 1837 George Ashton,
by will, proved at Durham 28 January,
directed that stock producing £100 a year should
be transferred to trustees, the income to be
divided annually among eight poor women.
The endowment now consists of £3,713 4s.
consols, in the names of the administrating
trustees. The annual dividends, amounting to
£92 16s. 4d., are divided equally among eight
poor and aged widows.
Croxdale St. Bartholomew. The charity of
Charles Attwood, founded by will, proved
London, 31 March 1875, is regulated by a
scheme of the Charity Commissioners, 7 April
1909. The endowment, originally an annuity of
£25, is now represented, with accumulations,
by £1,251 14s. 8d. consols, with the official
trustees, producing £31 5s. 8d. yearly. The
income is applied for the benefit of poor of
Croxdale St. Bartholomew, as follows: Subscriptions to any dispensary, hospital, etc.;
any provident club for the supply of coal,
clothing, etc.; contributions towards provision
of nurses for sick and infirm; and in supply of
clothes, linen, bedding, fuel, tools, medical aid,
food, and other articles in kind.
The St. Margaret Church estate is derived
from ancient tenements, and allotments of land
made in respect thereof, on the inclosure of
Crossgate and Framwellgate Moors.
The property now consists of 12 a. 3 r. 33 p.
of land situate in Crossgate and Framwellgate
Moors, producing £46 3s., and £5,387 10s. 5d.
5 per cent. War Stock, producing £269 7s. 6d.
yearly, with the official trustees, arising from
sales of land from time to time, representing a
gift, in 1885, by James John Wilkinson.
The income of the charity is applied in the
maintenance and repair of the church.
In 1704 John Hutchinson, by will, proved at
Durham, gave 52s. yearly to be distributed in
bread to 12 poor people every Sunday attending
divine service. This charge issued out of two
houses in Framwellgate Street. £2 2s. is received
from the owners in respect of two houses in
Framwellgate Street. 10s. has for many years
been paid by the churchwardens.
The poor also receive a rent charge of 20s.,
mentioned in the parliamentary returns of 1786
as charged upon an estate at Alwent. The
annuity is paid by the Earl of Strathmore.
In 1782 Catherine Andrews, by her will, gave
£100 for the poor. The legacy was, with a sum
of £12 12s., given in 1739 by the Rev. John
Simon, invested in £200 consols, now held by
the official trustees, producing £5 yearly. The
income is distributed monthly in small sums to
In 1799 Robert White, by his will, bequeathed
£10, the interest to be distributed to the poor
of South Street. The principal sum is in the
hands of the rector and churchwardens of St.
Margaret's, by whom 10s. a year is distributed
in respect of this charity.