Population: 1911, 1,353; 1921, 1,545; 1931, 1,992.
Balsall, originally part of Hampton-in-Arden, was
made a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1863 and was
enlarged by the inclusion of part of Knowle in 1932.
It is roughly an equilateral triangle, some 3½ miles from
its base to its northern apex, with Berkswell on the east
and Knowle and Barston on the west. The country is
open, with very little woodland and many small
streams and ponds, rising from 300 ft. in the north to
about 400 ft. in the south. The village lies close to the
River Blythe at the junction of Knowle and Barston
parishes. The older roads are mostly lanes, but in the
south-east on what was Balsall Heath a number of
straight roads have been laid out since the inclosure in
1802, and here in the modern settlement of Meer End
is the half-timbered mission church of St. Richard,
opened in 1929. There is also a small modern church
of St. Peter, Balsall Common, built of red brick.
The remains of the Preceptory or Commandery
stand west of the church. The building consists of
three bays of the aisled hall of timber, probably as old
as the 13th century, and a 15th-century west wing
containing the parlour and chamber over. The whole
is encased with modern brickwork and the hall is
divided into tenements. The three bays are of about
14-ft. span and are indicated by oak posts that divided
the nave from the aisles. The original roof construction
is said to exist, but it is now hidden from view. (fn. 1)
The 'lodgings' west of the hall—about 25 ft. long by
18½ ft.—are built at right angles to the hall, being
flush with its north wall but stopping short 5 ft. from
its south wall, probably owing to the removal of the
buttery mentioned in the survey of 1541. (fn. 2) The upper
chamber is open to the roof: this is of one and a half
bays and has a main southern truss and a subsidiary
northern truss. The former has a cambered tie-beam
supported by curved braces from the story-posts and
carrying king- and queen-posts under a collar-beam:
above the last are curved struts to the principal rafters.
The intermediate (northern) truss has an arch springing from the wall-plates to support a collar-beam which
also carries curved struts. The side-purlins are supported by curved wind-braces forming pointed arches.
The lower chamber has an open-timbered ceiling: the
beams are plain, but on the east wall is a 15th-century
A number of bosses are painted with coats of arms,
&c., including several with a rebus of a tun, on an
anchor, inscribed LIKES for Likeston.
In the west wall is a projecting chimney-stack of
stone, probably of c. 1500, with a later brick shaft
above. In it the lower chamber has a fire-place with a
late-17th-century moulded stone surround and a 25-in.
lintel. It is flanked by oak fluted pilasters and has a
moulded shelf, above which is a late-16th-century overmantel of three bays, inlaid with vase and flower
ornament. The upper chamber has an original
moulded stone fire-place and shelf.
In 1541 the house and church formed the north side
of an inclosed court containing about 3 acres, of which
the south side contained a great barn of 9 bays with
2 porches; this still stood c. 1730 and was 140 ft. long,
by 40 ft. wide, and 38 ft. high.
The Hospital or almshouses for old women founded
by Lady Katherine Leveson in 1677 stands east of the
church. It is a plain structure of sandstone and consists
of two long ranges flanking a long narrow courtyard
running north and south, with cross-wings at their
south ends. A wall between these wings contains the
gateway to the courtyard. The north end is closed by
the residence of the Master, which is also the vicarage:
this was rebuilt in 1836.
Temple House, north of the church, is an early18th-century house of red brick with tall narrow sashwindows.
There are about 32 other ancient buildings in the
parish; they are situated roughly in groups, and are of
the 17th century unless otherwise specified.
One group of eight is in or near the village of Balsall.
They include a house on the north side of Balsall Street,
much restored but with a gabled west wing of square
framing. A thatched cottage farther east shows some
framing. In Balsall Street East is a small house with
a framed wing at the back, and opposite it an 18th-century farm-house with timber-framed farm buildings;
and another farther east has a framed barn. Holly Lane
Farm, ¼ mile to the south, said to have been formerly
Church Farm, has been refaced with brickwork dated
1743 but retains an early-17th-century central chimney-stack and a timber-framed stable.
North of Balsall Street and west of Station Road are
two detached cottages with framed walls and tiled roofs.
Another group is about ½ mile west of the village on
the main road and in a loop-road south of it. The
Saracen's Head Inn, facing north-west, is of two bays
of square framing and has an end chimney. Two detached houses, both divided into tenements, to the
north-west are of similar framing. Balsall Farm, on the
west side of the loop road, is of c. 1690 and is built
of red brick with rusticated stone angle-dressings and
moulded cornice. It has rectangular windows with
stone key blocks and wood casements and transoms:
the middle entrance has a stone architrave and key
block. There is also a timber-framed barn. Farther
south at the bend of the loop-road is Magpie Farm
(formerly Churchfields Farm), which has a two-storied
north wing dating from c. 1560. This is of rectangular
plan, about 42 ft. by 18 ft., with a central chimney-stack. The walls are of close-set studding to both
stories except in the upper story of the gabled west
front where there is rather more elaboration. Below
the windows are rectangular panels with herring-bone
struts, except the central which have quadrant struts.
The gable-head projects on a moulded bressummer
supported on shaped brackets, and is of square framing
in small panels. The upper story has a restored oriel
window on the original shaped brackets and with
dwarf wing-lights with moulded mullions. The lower
oriel window has been abolished, but the original winglights remain. The east end, except for the more simple
post-work, is similar, the oriel and its wing-lights being
ancient: the gable-head also projects on brackets. The
story-posts in the north side divide it into seven alternate narrow and wide bays (in the proportion of 3 to 5).
The middle wide bay has an original three-light
window in each story with moulded mullions, lighting
the cupboards next the central chimney-stack. The
other wide bays had originally oriel windows, but they
have been altered to flat windows. The rooms have
plastered ceilings with stop-chamfered beams. The
lower fire-places have heavy four-centred stone arches,
but the jambs are of brick, with chimney-corners. The
upper fire-places are later. A modern wing extends
southwards, but some of the original close studding of
the south wall is exposed inside. The lobby on the
first floor south of the chimney-stack has three ancient
doors hung with strap-hinges with flowered ends.
'The Old Farm', a little farther north on the east
side of the loop, has a north wall of framing and a
central chimney-stack of 17th-century bricks with
two diagonal shafts. There is also a timber-framed
The third group of five cottages showing 17th-century framing lies chiefly at Fen End, south-east of
the church on the road to Honiley. A house on the
west side of the road, built of red and black bricks and
dated 1699, has tall narrow windows and a gabled
entrance with a nail-studded door. Fen End farmstead
has a labourer's cottage and a barn of timber-framing.
There was a moat around the buildings, now reduced
to four ponds at the former angles.
A fourth group of eight buildings is in Oldwich Lane
and near Chadwick End. The most important is Oldwich House, 1¼ miles south-east of the church, a
reputed ancestral home of the Shakespeares. (fn. 3) It is
probably of early-16th-century origin, but altered later.
The plan is T-shaped, and the cross-wing at the west
end is encased with 18th-century brickwork but has
a late-16th-century projecting chimney-stack of brick
with stone quoins and two diagonal shafts. It contains
a room with an early-16th-century open-timbered
ceiling with moulded beams and joists. The fireplace has an early-18th-century moulded surround.
The room is lined with Elizabethan panelling with
a top-frieze richly carved with flowers and grape-vine
ornament, said to have been brought from Kenilworth
Castle. (fn. 4) The main block is brick-fronted on old stone
foundations on the south, but the gabled east end and
the back have square timber-framing. One room has
a 16th-century moulded beam. The central chimney-stack has a wide fire-place, and above the roof is a
panelled rectangular shaft with a base mould and cornice of the late 17th century. The entrance has an
ancient nail-studded door. There are also two timberframed barns and remains of a moat.
Balsall Cottage Farm, 3/8 mile west, is a small late16th-century house of L-shaped plan showing some
framing in its east gable. The east room has an opentimbered ceiling and a wide fire-place. There is also
a timber-framed barn. Chadwick End Farm, ¾ mile
south-west of Oldwich House, is an L-shaped house
with the main block of 18th-century brickwork and
a staircase of c. 1730, and a back wing of earlier framing. A large barn of five bays is of timber-framing.
Hill Farm, at Chadwick End, ¼ mile west on the
main Warwick road, is a gabled house covered with
rough-cast cement, and having a late-16th-century
central chimney-stack with V-shaped pilasters. A little
to the south is a reconditioned house, formerly an inn, of
square framing. Two cottages to the west also have
framing. At Netherwood Farm are remains of a wet
At the north end of the parish on the west side of the
Kenilworth main road is the George in the Tree Hotel,
which has a timber-framed back wing; and northwest of it on the Barston road is a thatched cottage of
BALSALL was given by Roger de
Mowbray, probably during the reign of
Stephen, to the Knights Templars (fn. 5) and
became the site of a preceptory of the order. A survey
of 1185 shows the bond tenants holding some 650
acres, in addition to 'the land of the mill' and portions
of the demesne, for which they paid £10 14s. 10d. (fn. 6)
In 1248 the Templars were granted free warren here, (fn. 7)
and in 1268 a weekly market on Thursday and fairs, of
3 days each, at the feast of St. George and St. Matthew. (fn. 8)
On the suppression of the Templars in 1308 Balsall
reverted to John Mowbray and was held by him until
his attainder and death in 1322, (fn. 9) after which it was
made over to the Knights Hospitallers. (fn. 10) When the
order was dissolved the manor and park of Balsall were
granted in 1544 to Queen Katherine Parr, (fn. 11) and in
1547 the reversion thereof was granted to Edward, Duke
of Somerset. (fn. 12) On the attainder of Protector Somerset
the manor, then in the tenure of Giles Foster and his
wife Isabel widow of Martin Docwra, (fn. 13) was acquired
in July 1553 by John Dudley, Earl of Warwick. (fn. 14) On
his attainder it was granted in 1554 to Edward Sutton,
Lord Dudley, (fn. 15) but when Queen Mary purposed to
refound the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem she
granted the reversion of Balsall manor to the order in
1558. (fn. 16) With the accession of Elizabeth this scheme
came to nothing, and in 1572 Lord Dudley conveyed
the manor to Robert, Earl of Leicester, (fn. 17) to whom the
Hospitallers' rights had been granted in 1565. (fn. 18) He
settled the reversion of the manor after the death of
himself and his wife on his brother Ambrose Dudley,
Earl of Warwick, for life, with remainder to his own
illegitimate son Robert Dudley. (fn. 19) Robert, having
failed to establish his legitimacy, (fn. 20) left England and his
wife Alice (later created Duchess
Dudley) and their four daughters. The manor of Balsall was
divided between the four, one
of whom, Anne widow of Sir
Robert Holbourne, acquired
three shares, which on her death
were bought by her surviving
sister Lady Katherine Leveson. (fn. 21)
She by her will in 1671 devised
the manor and estate of Balsall
for the founding of a hospital,
oralmshouse, for 20 poor women,
widows or unmarried, who
should each have yearly £8 and
a grey gown with the letters
K. L. in blue cloth thereon. A chaplain was to
be provided at a salary of £20 to read prayers for
them twice daily, and he should also freely teach 20 of
the poorest boys of the parish. The Hospital of the
Lady Katherine Leveson was incorporated in 1704,
with a body of 11 governors, and by 1721 there were
27 old women in residence and further enlargement
was projected. (fn. 22)
Knights Templars. Argent a cross gules and a chief sable.
Knights Hospitallers. Gules a cross argent.
Lady Katherine Leveson. Azure three leaves or — Leveson of Trentham impaling Or a lion azure with a forked tail vert —Dudley.
Roger de Mowbray is said to have confirmed to
Peter de Arden the estate of CHADWICK which his
father Ralph (de Hampton) had held. (fn. 23) Peter's nephew
William de Arden in about 1200 settled the vill on
his wife Amice for life. (fn. 24) In 1242 Peter de Montfort
was holding 1/8 knight's fee here, (fn. 25) probably as mesne
lord, John Peche (representative of this branch of the
Ardens) holding ½ fee in Chadwick of Roger Mowbray in 1298. (fn. 26) Thomas Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk,
was overlord in 1400, (fn. 27) after which time it seems to
have been absorbed into the manor of Hampton-in-Arden.
The church of ST. MARY
(fn. 28) was built
by the Knights Templars c. 1290. After the
Suppression in 1540 it fell into decay and
became roofless. In 1662 it was reroofed and restored
to use by Lady Katherine Leveson and Lady Anne
Holbourne, and it served as a chapel for the adjacent
almshouses founded by the former in 1677. It became
a parish church in 1863.
The church was restored in 1849 by Sir Gilbert
Scott, who raised the walls to their original levels,
provided them with pinnacles and parapets, and con
structed a new roof. (fn. 29) The square south-west bellturret of 1662 was replaced by the present structure.
Some of the masonry and carvings in these works are
said to have been actual fragments found lying loose on
South of the church, by the south doorway, the
foundations have been traced of a former porch of two
stories, and of two 13-ft. bays from north to south.
Fragments of its vaulting still survive about the doorway
and some of the many loose stones lying in the vicarage
garden probably also belonged to it.
The church is of a simple rectangular plan, (fn. 30) about
90½ ft. by 30 ft.
The east window is of five cinquefoiled pointed lights
and geometrical tracery including circles treated with
trefoils, in a moulded two-centred head with an external
hood-mould. The jambs are of square orders with
hollow-chamfered edges: the exterior has one and the
interior two round nook-shafts with moulded bases and
bell-capitals carrying two rear-arches with undercut
mouldings and a hood-mould with head-stops. The
mullions are also moulded and have attached hexagonal
shafts with caps and bases. In each side wall are three
windows, varying in elevation and details. The easternmost north window is of three trefoiled lights and
tracery that includes three sexfoiled circles. The mullions are hollow-chamfered. The jambs outside have
an outer moulded order and the hood-mould to the
pointed head has man and woman head-stops. Internally the jambs are splayed and have an edge-moulding
including an attached round shaft with a moulded base
and a capital carved with foliage; they carry a pointed
moulded rear-arch that has a hood-mould with headstops. The second window is of four plain pointed
lights and tracery including two sexfoiled triangles and
three cinquefoiled circles. The mullions are chamfered
and have attached round shafts or rolls with foliage
capitals, and in the east jamb inside next the capital is a
small man's cowled head projecting southwards as a
corbel. The roll is also continued in the tracery-bars.
The jambs outside have a hollow-chamfered outer
order. Internally the reveals are square, each with an
attached round shaft to the inner edge, with a foliage
capital (also a small human head corbel in the reveal)
carrying the rear-arch, moulded differently to the others:
next the jamb on the wall-face is also a half-round shaft
with a foliage capital carrying the hood-mould. The
external hood-mould has stops carved as curling monsters. The third window is like the first but has taller
lights, the sill being lower. The easternmost south window is of four cinquefoiled lights and tracery, including
two circular lights filled with four trefoiled smaller
circles and two others filled with five trefoiled circles,
all in the two-centred head. The jambs outside resemble those of the great east window and have foliage
capitals; inside the reveals are square and have moulded
angles with shafts with plain capitals: the rear-arch is
moulded as in the east window and the hood-mould has
head-stops. The mullions have attached round shafts
with foliage capitals. The second window is of three
trefoiled lights and tracery including three circular
lights filled with six trefoils of two forms. The jambs
inside are like the first, but externally have no shafts.
The window is a long one and has a transom, the lights
having plain heads below it. The sill although low is
not low enough for a seat. The third window is of four
cinquefoiled lights and tracery, including two trefoiled
circles and a large middle circle filled with a wheel
pattern of twelve trefoiled piercings: the other details
are as in the first window.
Plan of Balsall Church.
Below the windows and forming the edges of their
ledges inside are moulded string-courses.
Under the middle north window is a pointed doorway, set with the rear-arch outwards. The head has a
series of mouldings with undercut hollows and the
hood-mould has knotted corbels for stops: the rear-arch
has a segmental-pointed moulded label. The doorway
is of modern stonework, but if it is only a restoration it
must have opened into a former chamber here. West of
the middle south window is another more simply moulded
doorway with a trefoiled open-cusped head in a twocentred main arch: the age of this doorway is doubtful.
The fourth bay of the north wall is unpierced. The
same bay contains the main south doorway, now disused: the jambs are chamfered and moulded and each
has one nook-shaft with a foliage capital and moulded
base. The head, of two main orders, is elaborately
moulded with filleted rolls and deep hollows like the
windows; the hood-mould has head-stops. The segmental-pointed rear-arch is moulded; the hood-mould
is of the same section as the string-course with which it
joins at the apex.
The west doorway resembles closely the south doorway. The great west window is plainer than the others;
it is of five plain pointed lights and tracery including
two cinquefoiled circles, in a pointed head with an
external hood-mould. The jambs outside are of two
hollow-chamfered orders: the internal reveals are square
and have edge-rolls with moulded capitals and bases;
the moulded rear-arch has a hood-mould with corbelstops. Above it inside is a moulded string-course at the
level of the wall-plates, and outside the face sets back
for a ledge furnished with a parapet. In the thinner
wall of the gable-head, which is of modern stonework,
is a large wheel-window of twelve trefoiled lights.
In the south-west angle is a stair-vice treated octagonally outside and lighted by loops in the south-west
side. A splay across the angle inside contains the
moulded segmental-pointed entrance to it and another
blocked doorway above, which was entered presumably
from a gallery. A corresponding splay outside, above
the remains of the vaulting of the former south porch,
had a square-headed doorway, now blocked, that admitted to its upper chamber. There are also traces of
another former doorway in its west side that opened
into a building west of the church. This was probably
timber-framed and a row of five corbels on the main
wall just above the west doorway supported a floor or
roof belonging to it. From this building a view into the
church was obtained by a squint (now blocked) just
north of the turret. It was round-headed outside (in
the chamber) and, on the church side, it has a trefoiled
head: the string-course drops to pass under it and rise
again to sill-level north of it. Outside the squint has a
round arch and is blocked.
The walls are of red sandstone and have plinths of
two chamfered courses and a moulded top member.
The ground slopes down from east to west and the
plinth, as well as the pavement inside, steps down with
it. At the east angles and north-west angle are pairs of
square buttresses, and similar buttresses divide the side
walls into four bays. They are of two stages, the lower
and wider being weathered back to the walls above the
string-courses that pass round them. The upper have
modern gabled heads and pinnacles.
Flanking the east window are corbels for images,
carved as angels.
The side parapets are modern and have stringcourses carved with human heads and other subjects.
The south-west stair-vice is surmounted by a modern
octagonal turret with a stone spirelet.
The westernmost bay of the south side retains some
remains of the vaulting of the former porch or two-bay
chamber. This includes a moulded wall-rib carried on
the east by a corbel, close to the door-head, carved as a
woman's head with a wimple. The west angle has the
springing stones of three filleted and undercut round
ribs rising fanwise and carried on a corbel-capital carved
with fighting beasts. On the broken masonry over the
ribs is the splay of the stair-vice with a blocked squareheaded doorway that gave entrance to the upper chamber.
The roof, of four double bays, is modern. The
trusses are carried on a series of stone corbels carved as
kings, bishops, and knights or Templars. Whether any
of these are ancient is uncertain.
The pavement rises in seven steps from the west end
to the altar.
The piscina in the south wall of the sanctuary has a
recess of triangular plan; the jambs have shafts with
moulded bases and foliage capitals carrying a moulded
pointed head with a hood-mould having head-stops.
A similar shaft in the angle at the back of the recess
carries half-arch vault ribs to the soffit. The basin is
The three sedilia next west have triple shafts between them and double shafts in the outer jambs, with
moulded bases and foliage capitals: they carry twocentred arches filled in with open mask-tracery, and
have hood-moulds meeting the string-course with their
apices. Vertical mouldings above the jambs, and circular mouldings on the spandrels adjoin them and are
of the same projection: the circles enclose shallow trefoils. The seats are stepped down westwards. Both
piscina and sedilia are said to be ancient, (fn. 31) but if so have
been almost entirely renovated or re-tooled.
In the north wall is a locker with a shouldered head
and surrounded by a projecting moulded frame: the
edges are rebated for a shutter and the reveals are
grooved for a wooden shelf: a projecting course at the
same level as the grooves is carved with a small serpent.
The font is modern. (fn. 32) At the west end is a late-17thcentury chest: the front has three panels with enriched
mouldings and raised jewel-ornament. The lid is of
four panels with plain muntins, &c.
On the south wall outside are scratched two small
mass-dials and a circular one.
The registers begin in 1736.
Although the chapel of Balsall was
in 1541 listed as one of the 'superfluous buildings' and was allowed to
fall into gradual decay, 'the advowson of the church and
vicarage of Balsall' was included in 1572 in the conveyance of the manor to the Earl of Leicester (fn. 33) and is again
referred to in 1663. (fn. 34) It was, however, a donative
attached to the manor and without any regular endowment until, shortly after the Restoration, Lady Anne
Holbourne repaired the church and by her will left an
endowment of £50 a year for the minister. (fn. 35) When
Lady Anne's sister Lady Katherine Leveson gave the
manor to her Hospital the patronage of the curacy was
vested in the governors and the post has usually been
held with the mastership. (fn. 36)
In 1306 in return for benefits conferred upon them
by Sir Philip de Gayton the Templars agreed to maintain a resident secular chaplain to celebrate for his soul
and those of his relatives. (fn. 37)
The Amalgamated Charities: Saracen's Head Charity. The origin of this
charity is unknown. It appears from a
court roll of the manor of Balsall dated 24 October 1780
that the surviving trustee was admitted tenant to the
messuage and croft called the Saracen's Head, in Balsall
Street, to hold the same in trust for the use of the inhabitants of Balsall. The premises are now let on lease
for 21 years at a rent of £50 per annum.
Ludford's Charity. The endowment of this charity
formerly consisted of 1¼ acres of meadow land called
Ludford's Meadow lying in Balsall Street quarter, and
1 r. 38 p. of land, part of Balsall Heath. The land was
copyhold of the manor of Balsall and the rents and
profits were distributed to the poor of Balsall. The
property was sold and the proceeds invested in stock in
trust for the charity.
Coventry Dole. An annual sum of 15s. was formerly
received by the overseer of Balsall in respect of a warehouse at the corner of Wells St., Coventry. It is unknown who was the donor of this annuity, but it is
understood to have been appropriated to the poor of
Balsall. The annuity was redeemed in 1928 in consideration of £30 Consols, producing an income of 15s.
Huddesford's Charity. In the Returns under Gilbert's Act an annual sum of 10s. is mentioned as the
gift of Huddesford to the poor of Balsall derived from
land at Wooton Green.
William Knight by will dated 18 February 1716
gave to the poor of Chadwick End in Balsall an annual
sum of 10s., secured on two closes called House Place.
Henry Marsh in 1617 gave 10s. per annum for ever
out of his estate at Pearsall End to be distributed among
the poor of Balsall; and Leonard Freckleton in 1592
gave an annual sum of 6s. 8d. issuing out of a close
called 'The Field Next Browns' to be distributed among
the poorest men of Balsall. These two yearly payments
were redeemed in 1915 in consideration of £33 6s. 8d.
Consols producing 16s. 8d. annually in dividends.
The above-mentioned charities are now regulated by
Schemes of the said Commissioners of 10 July 1888 and
25 March 1891 under the title of the Temple Balsall
Amalgamated Charities. The schemes appoint a body
of eight trustees and direct the income of the Charities,
amounting to £84 1s. 4d. per annum, to be applied for
the benefit of deserving and necessitous persons resident
in Temple Balsall as set out under various heads.
The William Henry Smith Charity. W. H. Smith
by indenture dated 5 March 1925 conveyed to trustees
land containing 9 a. 2 r. 34 p. at Alder Lane, Balsall,
for the benefit of persons residing in Temple Balsall and
for any of the purposes set out in clause 19 of the abovementioned scheme of 10 July 1888. The land is let at
an annual rent of £15.
Hospital of Lady Katherine Leveson. As stated
above, Lady Katherine Leveson devised the manor of
Balsall to trustees to erect and endow a Hospital or
Almshouse for 20 poor women. The donor directed
that should there not be sufficient poor women in Balsall, then the almswomen should be chosen out of the
poor inhabitants of Lady Leveson's part of Itchington,
Trentham, and Lilleshall. By a Scheme of the Charity
Commissioners confirmed by Act of Parliament 28 June
1861 by which the charity is regulated, the number of
almswomen was increased to 35 and provision made for
the following payments, &c., out of the income of the
charity: 6s. per week to each almswoman, who shall be
provided with reasonable quantities of bread, milk, and
fuel, together with a grey cloth gown and a suitable
bonnet every year; 8s. a week to four pensioners in each
of the parishes of Long Itchington, Trentham, and
Lilleshall in lieu of the contingent benefits given by the
founder. The cost of the maintenance and repair of the
church of St. Mary, Balsall, and an annual stipend of
£100 to the minister of the church (in addition to the
annuity of £50 received under the will of Lady Anne
Holbourne), and £10 yearly to the sexton, £200 a year
to the Master of the Hospital, and £100 a year to the
The income of the charity, amounting to about
£2,300 annually, is derived from 1,078 acres or thereabouts of real property and from various Stocks.