Population: 1911, 84; 1921, 70; 1931, 70.
This small parish, 1½ miles from north to south by
1 mile in breadth, lies between the county boundary
of Staffordshire on the north and the road from
Shuttington to Newton Regis on the south. The road
from Tamworth to Ashby la Zouche passes through the
northern part of the parish, and where this is crossed
by another road running south, on a slight rise, lies
the village of Seckington. North of the church are the
well-preserved earthworks of a motte and bailey type
of Norman castle. (fn. 1)
Seckington is the 'Secandune' at which Ethelbald,
King of the Mercians, was killed in 755 or 757,
probably by Beornred, who ruled for a brief while
after his death. (fn. 2)
The 5-hide vill of Seckington was held in
two equal parts at the time of the Domesday
Survey, 2½ hides formerly belonging to
Godric being held of the Count of Meulan by Ingenulf and Arnulf, (fn. 3) and the other 2½ hides, held
before the Conquest by Ernui, being held of William
son of Corbucion by Juhell. (fn. 4)
The overlordship of the count's portion descended (fn. 5)
to Roger de Quincy, Earl of Winchester, who died in
1264 seised of 5 virgates in Seckington, held by
Thomas de Camville. (fn. 6) This passed to the earl's
daughter and co-heir Ellen, wife of Alan la Zouche.
Their grandson Alan la Zouche died in 1314, seised
of 1/6 fee in SECKINGTON, (fn. 7)
which was assigned to his younger
daughter Maud and her husband,
Sir Robert de Holand. (fn. 8) Their son
Robert left a daughter Maud who
married John, Lord Lovel of
Titchmarsh, (fn. 9) in which family the
overlordship continued until at
least 1455. (fn. 10)
Lovel of Titchmarsh. Barry wavy or and gules.
The overlordship of the Corbucion moiety had come into the
hands of the Earls of Warwick by
1242, when a ½-fee in Seckington
was held of the earl by the heir of William de Camville. (fn. 11) It continued to be held of the earls, as varying
fractions of a fee, until 1401. (fn. 12)
About 1170 Richard Bruton, with the assent of his
brother Hamon, sold the demesne of Seckington, held
of the Earl of Leicester, to William de Camville. (fn. 13)
William married Aubreye Marmion, from whom their
son William received both this ¼ fee and another ¼ fee
held of the Earl of Warwick. (fn. 14) The younger William's
grandson Thomas is found holding ⅓ fee in Seckington
of the Earl of Warwick in 1267 (fn. 15) and 5 virgates there
of the Earl of Winchester in 1270. (fn. 16) Thomas's son
Gerard de Camville died before 1316, when his
daughter Elizabeth, who married Robert Burdet, held
the Warwick fee. (fn. 17) In 1314, however, 1/6 fee in Seckington was held of Alan la Zouche, (fn. 18) and in 1328 of
Robert de Holand (fn. 19) by Sir William Martin. He was
son of Sir Nicholas Martin, first husband of Maud
who married Geoffrey de Camville, second cousin of
Gerard, (fn. 20) but his right to the fee does not appear.
Robert Burdet had a grant of free warren in Seckington in 1327, (fn. 21) and his son and heir Robert was born
here in 1345. (fn. 22) The manor then followed the descent
of Bramcote in Polesworth (q.v.) in this family, (fn. 23) until
1919, when Sir Francis Burdett, 8th Baronet, sold the
estate in lots. The manorial rights, attached to Seckington Hall Farm, were bought by Mr. Harry Arnold. (fn. 24)
Plan of Seckington Church.
In 1316 the vill of Seckington was said to be held
by Robert Burdet and Gerard de Sekyndon, (fn. 25) and the
same two persons were the largest contributors in this
vill, each paying 3s. 6d., to the subsidy of 1332. (fn. 26)
Gerard was probably ancestor of John Seckington
father of William (c. 1478), (fn. 27) whose elder son John
died in 1518 holding certain tenements of Sir John
Burdet. (fn. 28) John's son William dying without issue in
1524, (fn. 29) the lands went to his uncle Nicholas Seckington, who died in 1549. (fn. 30) The property, now described as 'the manor of Seckington', being probably
the demesne lands of the manor, went to Robert
Nycolles, son of Joyce sister of Nicholas, but was disputed by Thomas Seckington of Coleshill, whose
relationship does not appear. (fn. 31)
The parish church of ALL SAINTS consists of a chancel, nave, south porch, and
west tower with a spire.
The chancel is probably of late-13th-century origin,
although its east and south windows date from about
1330, when it was remodelled and the nave, tower,
and porch were rebuilt. The tower and spire were
rebuilt in 1883 with the re-use of much of the original
material, and there were other very drastic restorations
in the 19th century, when the east window is said to
have been widened. Most of the tracery of the other
windows is modern and whether always of the original
designs is not certain.
The chancel (about 28 ft. by 16 ft.) has an east
window of five lights and foiled tracery based on that
in the neighbouring church at Newton Regis; the
jambs and arch are splayed and are probably 14th
century. In the north wall is a late-13th-century
window of three narrow pointed lights and plain intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a segmental-pointed rear-arch. There was a similar two-light
window east of it, but it has lost its mullion and tracery
and was blocked for the Burdett monument of 1603.
Below it is a plain segmental-pointed recess with the
grave-slab described below. West of the window is a
14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and ogee
head and segmental-pointed rear-arch.
Two windows in the south wall are of the 14th
century, each of two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and
modern tracery; the jambs (like those of the east
window) are splayed on both faces and continued in
the head. West of them is a 14th-century low-side
window with rebated jambs and ogee head and internal lintel; it has a hook for the former shutter. The
walls are faced with sandstone ashlar, inside pink and
grey, and outside cream-tinted; the plinth is chamfered. At the angles are deep narrow buttresses with
many offsets at the top. In the south wall is a 14th-century piscina with two round basins in projecting
moulded sills on corbels that were once carved. The
niche has a trefoiled ogee-head, and a hood-mould
with head-stops. Over the apex is set a small human-head corbel.
The gabled roof is modern, of pointed wagon-head
trussed rafter type. The weather-course on the east
wall of the nave suggests a slightly higher original roof.
The two-centred chancel arch is of two continuous
chamfered orders with plain restored bases.
The nave (about 44 ft. by 21 ft.) has two windows
in each wall, each like its opposite. The eastern is of
three cinquefoiled pointed lights and uncusped intersecting tracery; the western is of two wider lights and
tracery like the south chancel windows; all are modern
except the jambs. The north and south doorways have
14th-century jambs and ogee-pointed heads; the
northern is blocked. In the south wall is a trefoiled
ogee-headed piscina with a round basin.
The walls are ashlar-faced of grey stone inside and
out and have chamfered plinths and old buttresses
broader than those of the chancel.
There are scars in the east wall and re-entrant angles
made for the former rood-screen and loft. North of the
chancel arch are arched chases for 2½ bays of the screen
and in the side walls are filled-in sockets for the beams
of the loft-floor and gallery front. In the south-east
angle are grooves for the former stair.
The roof is modern, of trussed rafter type in three
The south porch is coeval with the nave, but may
have been rebuilt with the original material. It has a
pointed entrance of two chamfered orders with
broach-stops at the springing-level above square jambs.
The gable-head has an old coping. There are stone
benches, now only 6 in. above the floor. East of the
entrance is a scratched sun-dial and inside are scratched
17th-century dates from 1628 to 1699.
The west tower (about 12 ft. square) is of three
stages with walls of grey ashlar (much of it modern)
and lined with modern brickwork inside. At the angles
are diagonal buttresses with V-shaped faces, reaching
to the parapet. The parapet has ranges of trefoiled
arched panels and there were once angle pinnacles.
The two-centred archway to the nave is of two continuous orders, the outer splayed and the inner wave-moulded. The west window is of two trefoiled ogee
lights and a quatrefoil in an ogee main head with a
hood-mould. The second stage has a tall narrow
lancet light in the west wall with deeply splayed jambs
and head. The bell-chamber has windows of two
pointed lights and plain spandrels in a two-centred
head with hood-moulds having defaced carved stops.
Above is an octagonal spire of ashlar with gabled
spire-lights of two pointed or ogee-headed lights; at the
apex is a ball and weather-vane.
In the tracery of the eastern windows of the nave are
some reset pieces of 14th-century glass, mostly yellow
and brown, including lions' masks, birds, and foliage.
There are also fragments in the second north window.
The font is modern. A plain framed chest in the tower
is of the late 17th century and had three locks. In the
chancel arch are the remains of the lower part of a
15th-century screen with moulded muntins and closed
panels, two in each half, with cinquefoiled heads,
having rosette cusp-points, and tracery. In the north
recess in the chancel is a 14th-century gravestone of a
priest, carved in relief with a long cross with a foiled
head and a cinquefoiled ogee-arched open base.
Flanking the stem are a chalice and a book.
Above is a mural monument of veined marble to
Robert Burdett of Bramcote, died 27 March 1603.
His widow Mary daughter of Thomas Wilson,
Secretary to Queen Elizabeth, set up the monument.
It has twin round-headed recesses flanked by Corinthian
shafts carrying an entablature on which are obelisk
pinnacles with trophies of arms. Before the recesses
are the kneeling effigies of Robert, in armour, facing
east and behind him two sons, and facing him his wife
and four daughters. The tympana of the arches have
carved shields of arms.
In the tower is a damaged 14th-century effigy of a
lady with a wimple, veiled head-dress, and plain dress
with remains of colouring. A gravestone in the churchyard is to the Reverend Richard Johnson, died 2 May
1670, aged 70.
Of the four bells (fn. 32) the treble is inscribed IESUS,
undated, and the third is of 1640 by Hugh Watts of
Leicester. The other two are of 1886 by Taylor & Co.
The communion plate includes a silver chalice and
paten of 1670 and a flagon of 1773.
The registers begin in 1612.
In 1205 William de Camville and
Aubrey his wife brought an assize of
last presentation against Simon de
Berkeston for this church, (fn. 33) and probably established
their claim, as, except when the manor was in the
hands of the overlords owing to the minority of the
heir, the advowson of the church rested with the
lord of the manor. In 1929 the benefice was joined
to Newton Regis, and from that time it has been under
the rector of that place. The right of presentation is
now exercised alternately by Miss H. Inge and the
Birmingham Diocesan Trustees.
In 1291 the church was valued at £2 13s. 4d. (fn. 34)
and in 1535 at £5 16s. (fn. 35)