This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the sixth to be published under the cooperative system described in the editorial note to Volume IV. The contributing Local
Authorities have continued, and have substantially increased, their grants. It is to be
added that the Essex County Council, which had for many years been giving practical
help, in 1977 took over from the District Councils the payment of contributions for the
administrative county. The councils of the Greater London Boroughs of Barking,
Havering, Newham, Redbridge, and Waltham Forest, continue to furnish contributions
for their own areas.
The Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of representatives of
the Local Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of the work under the chairmanship of Sir William Addison. Mr. Donald Forbes, Honorary Treasurer of the committee from 1955, and also Honorary Secretary from 1967, retired in 1975. He was
succeeded as Honorary Secretary by Mr. William H. Liddell, and as Honorary Treasurer by Mr. Geoffrey J. Clements. Mr. Kenneth H. Sleat has continued as Honorary
Assistant Secretary. The University of London expresses its thanks to these gentlemen
and to the other officers and members of the committee, and to the participating Local
Authorities (listed below) for their generous grants. During the preparation of the
present volume the assistant editorship was held by Dr. David R. Ransome (1973–6),
and by Miss Vanessa A. Harding (from 1977). Mrs. Beryl A. Board has continued as
senior editorial assistant, and in 1977 Mrs. W. Stubbings was appointed as an editorial
assistant. Secretarial help has been given in the preparation of this volume by Mrs. D.
Maclaine, Mrs. M. Reeve, and Mrs. K. Caddy.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History as a whole are outlined in the General
Introduction to the History (1970). As in Volumes IV, V, and VI the brief descriptions
of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included in the topographical
volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary, because of the publication
by the County Council of Essex Parish Records, 1240–1894 (1950; revised edn. 1966).
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is
acknowledged in the text of the volume and in the lists of illustrations and of maps.
Especial thanks are due to the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford, and their
Archivist, Mr. F. W. Steer, for providing access to the college records and for allowing
their Liber Niger (MS 9744) to be taken to Chelmsford for microfilming; to the late
Mr. F. Lewis for the loan of his manuscripts and cuttings; and to Mr. K. G. Farries for
much information on windmills. Mr. E. A. Bird, Mr. G. J. Clements, the Revd. H.
Johnson, archdeacon of Sheffield, Mr. C. J. Whitwood, and Havering public libraries
provided information and read drafts. Valuable services of many kinds have been rendered by the Essex Record Office, and the early death of the County Archivist, Mr.
K. C. Newton, in March 1978 is a great loss not only to the office but also to the Victoria
History of Essex. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of
its unpublished lists of buildings of architectural or historical interest. The Greater
London Council, Historic Buildings Division, has furnished information on the buildings in Havering London Borough. A gift of £350 from Dr. Marc Fitch, to pay for the
frontispiece, is gratefully acknowledged.