The church of ST. MICHAEL consists of a chancel 43 ft. by 14 ft. 10 in.,
north vestry, north chapel 28 ft. 1 in.
by 17 ft. 4 in., south chapel 27 ft. 2 in. by 17 ft. 4 in.,
nave 85 ft. 11 in. by 16 ft. 5 in., north aisle 85 ft. 3 in.
by 16 ft. 6 in., south aisle 85 ft. 7 in. by 16 ft. 9 in.
and a tower at the south-west of the south aisle 15 ft.
square. These measurements are all internal.
The south aisle and the original arches of the south
arcades of the chancel and nave, though much
restored, are the earliest surviving portions and date
from c. 1300; the north aisle was entirely rebuilt in
1859, and if, as is said to be the case, it is a copy of
its predecessor, this and the north arcade were
probably built about twenty years later than the south
aisle. The present chancel and chapels (fn. 1) seem to have
been rebuilt c. 1500. In 1859 a series of sweeping
'restorations' was entered upon. The north arcade
of the chancel, the eastern arch of which was widened
early in the 16th century, was rebuilt to match the
south arcade, while the east window of the north chapel
was altered from five lights to four and the two north
windows from four lights to two. The south chapel
was given an 'early perpendicular' character and the
early 14th-century chancel arch was reconstructed.
New piers were substituted for the original piers of
the nave, and the eastern arches of the arcades, which
had till then been separated by short lengths of blank
walling from the west wall of the chancel and from
the arches next to the westward, were enlarged. The
15th-century west window was removed to make
room for a 'decorated' window, and all the original
timber roofs were removed, the walls of the nave being
raised about 6 ft. At the same time all the original
detail which was allowed to remain was restored
almost out of recognition. The walls, which, with
the exception of those of the chancel, are buttressed,
are all faced externally with flint, and the dressings
and wrought details where original are of chalk.
The east window of the chancel, though much
restored, is of the late 15th century, and is of five
cinquefoiled lights under a traceried four-centred
head. A doorway of the same date in the north wall
leads into the vestry, while the remainder of the wall
is occupied by the modern arcade opening into the
north chapel. At the south-east is a restored 13th-century piscina with a trefoil head and fluted basin,
to the west of which is a modern window of three
cinquefoiled lights with vertucal tracery under an
elliptical head, probably a copy of a former window.
The early 14th-century arcade of the south chapel is
of chalk, and has two-centred arches of two orders,
each moulded with a sunk quarter-round, supported
by an octagonal column and responds with moulded
capitals and bases. There are labels on both faces,
but their stops and the responds have been renewed
in stone. The chancel arch is of two moulded orders.
The east window of the north chapel, now the
organ chamber, is of four cinquefoiled lights under a
traceried four-centred head. The two north windows
are each of two similar lights with traceried heads of
the same form; some of the material of the larger
15th-century windows which they replace was re-used
in their construction. A modern arch divides the
chapel from the north aisle. The windows and south
doorway of the south chapel are entirely modern.
The nave arcades are of six bays with two-centred
arches of two orders, each order being moulded with
a sunk quarter-round. The octagonal columns and
responds, together with the eastern arch of each arcade,
are modern. The eastern arch of the south arcade
is built of original chalk voussoirs from the two
demolished arches. The west window is modern.
With one exception the original windows have
been reset in the rebuilt north wall of the north aisle.
The easternmost window is of late 15th-century date
and is of three cinquefoiled lights under a traceried
segmental head. The remaining three windows in
this wall are each of two trefoiled lights with a foliated
spherical triangle within a two-centred head, and,
with the exception of the westernmost, which is a
modern copy, are of the early 14th century. The
west window is modern. At the east end of the
north wall is an angular projection, evidently the
reproduction of that which formerly contained the
rood stairs. The wall is faced with flint diversified
by small cubes of freestone.
The south aisle has four south windows, the three
eastern of which are coupled lancets, having deep
splays with moulded internal jambs and segmental
two-centred rear arches with internal labels and leafstops. To the east of the south doorway is a holy
water stoup in a recess with moulded jambs and a segmental two-centred head. The south doorway, which
has a two-centred head and external label with a drop
rear arch, is of two orders, each moulded with a
sunk quarter-round, and appears to be of early 14th-century date. Externally it is surrounded by an
elaborately moulded opening in the north wall of
the 15th-century tower, which is built against the
aisle wall, the ground stage forming a south porch.
The westernmost window is a single trefoiled light
with an external label and a segmental two-centred
rear arch. All the external stones appear to be
The tower is in three receding stages with angle
buttresses of four offsets at the southern angles, and
a square stair turret of slight projection at the north-western angle. The parapet is embattled, and the
stair turret, which has also an embattled parapet,
rises above it. The ground stage is ceiled by a
modified form of sexpartite vault with a central
circular opening and moulded diagonal, transverse,
and ridge ribs with bosses at their intersections. The
ridges of the subsidiary compartments on the east and
west are parallel with the transverse rib and meet the
diagonals midway between the springing and the apex.
The vault springs from triple vaulting shafts with
moulded bell capitals having octagonal abaci and
moulded bases with octagonal plinths resting on low
stone podia with moulded cappings. The doorway
in the south wall of the tower is a modern restoration
of 1875 and has a moulded two-centred head and
jambs with traceried spandrels within a square
exterior label. The ringing stage is lighted by small
square-headed trefoiled lights on the east and west
and the bell-chamber has in each face a window of
two cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery within
a two-centred head, the lights being fitted with
pierced stone panels. The walls are of flint rubble
with chalk dressings.
The roofs are modern and covered externally with
tiles; with the exception of the north chapel roof,
they are all of steep pitch. The roof of the south
aisle has been put together with fragments of the old
roofs removed at the restoration.
The octagonal font with quatrefoiled panels and
wooden cover was made in the year 1647, as testified
by an entry under that year in the book of churchwardens' accounts. (fn. 2)
Against the west wall of the north aisle is a
sepulchral stone, decorated with a foliated cross,
having the letters LAG on the arms. Round the
edge of the slab part of an inscription is still legible:
'Ici : gist : Willame : Le Fiz . . . . . . . . ari :
lesscoler : de …'
On the north wall of the north aisle is the brass (fn. 3)
of Sir John de Foxley (d. 1378), containing the figure
of a knight in bascinet with camail, and plates, standing between his two wives under a canopy now lost.
The knight's head rests on a helm crested with a fox;
his jupon is charged with his two bars. The lady
on his right wears an armorial dress charged with
Foxley impaling Brocas. The lady on his left is
similarly dressed; her dress is charged with Foxley
only. The figures and the canopy occupy the upper
half of the slab; below is a fox, on which rests a
column supporting the design. All inscriptions have
On the south wall of the south aisle east of the
south door is a brass to William Dyer, vicar, 1440.
Beneath is a brass inscribed in black letter to
Thomas atte Lude, chaplain. He was probably
chaplain of the chapel formerly existing at Maidenhead. In the south wall of the south chapel is a
brass with inscription to William Laken, a justice of
the King's Bench, who died 6 October 1475, and
his wife Sibyl, a daughter and heir of John Sifrewast,
lord of Clewer. He wears a sword and belt and a
long furred gown.
In the floor of the south aisle is a brass to William
Smythe and his two wives Agnes and Matilda, c. 1500,
with an inscription in black letter, a blank being left
for the date. On the north wall of the north aisle is
a brass to William Norreys, usher of the Parliament
house and of the order of the Garter under Mary
and Elizabeth, who died 16 April 1591. He wears
the badge of the Garter and kneels with his wife and
twelve children. Above are his own arms and those
of Fortescue for his wife, and between himself and his
wife is the Norreys shield with the motto 'Faithfully
Sarve.' Below is Norreys impaling Fortescue.
On the south wall of the south chapel is a brass to
Clement Kelke, haberdasher of London and merchant
adventurer, who died in 1593, and his wife Elizabeth,
daughter of Alderman Becher. On the same wall is a
brass to William Smithe, 1594, gentleman-at-arms
to Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth. Above are
his arms, viz. : Sable a ring argent within a border
engrailed or and a chief or with a mace sable therein.
The crest is a forearm cut off at the elbow, the hand
grasping a mace.
On the north side of the south chapel, in the
south-east pier of the nave, is a brass tablet in a
marble frame, without name or date. It shows a
man and a woman of c. 1600 kneeling in prayer.
Below is an inscription beginning:—
'When Oxford gave thee two degrees in art,
And love possest thee master of my heart,
Thy Colledge Fellowshipp thou lefst for mine,
And nought but deathe could seprate me fro thine.'
Two shields in the spandrels of the frame have
apparently been repainted.
On the north wall of the chancel is a mural monument to William Goddard of Philibert, who died in
1609, founder of Jesus Hospital, and Joyce Maunsell
his wife, who died in 1622. Within two niches under
an entablature and broken pediment supported by
marble Corinthian columns are painted three-quarter
figures, life-sized, of William Goddard and his wife.
The inscriptions are on the base of the monument,
which is of marble and painted stone. Over the
entablature is a shield of arms: Gules an eagle or
and a chief vair.
On the north face of the north-east pier of the
nave is a brass to Arthur Page of Water Oakley,
who died 23 December 1610, and his wife Cicely,
daughter of William Brownesopp, by whom he had
issue one son, Edward; she died 12 March 1598.
He is represented kneeling in prayer with his wife.
In the floor at the west end of the north aisle is
a brass to Thomas Lawrence, who died 28 October
1603. On the north wall of the north aisle is an
elaborate monument to William Paule, who died in
There is a peal of six bells, the treble inscribed,
'Feare God Honour the King 1678,' the second
by Henry Knight, 1612, the third by Henry
Knight, 1613, the fourth by Thomas Mears, 1812,
the fifth by Thomas Swain, 1771, while the tenor
bears the date 1663.
The communion plate is modern and consists of a
chalice dated 1888, a flagon, 1850, and two patens,
The registers previous to 1812 are as follows:
(i) marriages 1653 to 1723 (the years between 1657
and 1660 are missing), baptisms 1652 to 1722,
burials 1653 to 1722 (the years between 1656 and
1659 are missing); (ii) marriages 1723 to 1754,
baptisms 1723 to 1763, burials 1723 to 1763;
(iii) baptisms 1763 to 1812; (iv) marriages 1754
to 1777; (v) marriages 1778 to 1812.
On the north side of the churchyard is the chantry
chapel of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, used in the 18th
century for the free school and now for the Sunday
school. It is a plain rectangular building, measuring
externally about 66 ft. 4 in. by 23 ft. 8 in., with flintfaced walls, buttresses of two offsets at each angle, and
a steep-pitched tiled roof. The walls and probably
the buttresses, though much restored, appear to be of
the late 13th century, but early in the 17th century,
when the building was turned into a school-house,
the interior was divided into two rooms of unequal
size by a brick chimney stack with two fireplaces back
to back, and new windows were formed in the north
wall. The east and west windows are entirely modern,
and their heads are filled with plate tracery of a dreary
type. In the south wall are two square-headed
doorways, both of modern stonework, but the westernmost, which may occupy the position of the original
doorways, has an early 17th-century door. Between
the two doorways is a lancet with modern external
stonework and original internal jambs and rear arch,
while to the east of it are the jambs and rear arch of
a second lancet, not visible externally. A sculptured
stone bearing what appears to be the figure of a bull
is set in the external face of the wall between the
western doorway and the lancet.
At the south-east of the churchyard is an L-shaped
half-timber gate-house of the 15th century, probably the
chantry-house. The entrances to the gateway, which
occupies about half the ground floor of the principal
block, have four-centred heads with plain sunk spandrels, and the gabled upper story has moulded sills with
supporting brackets. A small staircase entered from the
north-west corner of the gateway passage and lighted
by open balustered lights leads to the upper floor; the
portion above the gateway is divided into two rooms,
and an original roof-truss is exposed. This part of
the building remains very much in its original condition, though the staircase is probably of 17th-century
construction, and the windows appear to have been
enlarged; the north-east wing has, however, been
much modernized, and the upper parts of the chimney
stacks have been renewed.
The ecclesiastical parish of ALL SAINTS, Braywood, was formed in 1871. The church consists of
a chancel, a nave, north and south transepts, a north
vestry, a south-east tower, and a west porch. It was
erected in 1866 of flint in 14th-century Gothic
style, and at the cost of Madame Van de Weyer.
The parish includes Fifield and Oakley Green and
parts of Winkfield and Cranbourne. The living is a
vicarage in the gift of Col. Van de Weyer.
The church of HOLY TRINITY at Touchen End
consists of a chancel and a nave, with a north porch,
a north aisle and west bellcote. It was erected in
1862 in the 14th-century style, and is built of red
brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. It serves
as a chapel of ease to St. Michael's.
The ecclesiastical parish of ST. LUKE at Maidenhead was formed in 1867 from Cookham. The
church consists of a chancel, nave and aisles, north
vestry, south porch, and south-east tower, with a
broach spire. It was erected in 1867, the spire being
added in 1894. The design is of late 13th-century
character, and the material is coursed quarry-faced
stonework with ashlar dressings. The roofs are slated.
The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford.
Bray Chantry Chapel from the South-west
The ecclesiastical parish of ST. ANDREW AND
ST. MARY MAGDALENE at Maidenhead was
formed in 1870. The church is built of light-coloured
brick with stone dressings, and consists of a chancel
with a semi-octagonal apse, a vestry on the north,
a square embattled tower on the south, the lower
part of which is used as an organ chamber, and a
large and lofty aisleless nave, the west end of which
is three-sided. The church was erected in 1825–6,
but the whole of the east end was pulled down in
1877 and the existing chancel, with the tower and
vestry. erected in its place. The early registers are
divided between Bray and Cookham.
The plate consists of two fine silver flagons with the
date letter of 1629 and a chalice and paten of 1657,
given by Richard Robinson in the same year. A second
chalice and paten were presented by I. Knollis, B.D.,
chaplain, G. C. Gorham, B.D., curate, and seventy
persons in the congregation to the church on Christmas
Day, 1838, and there are also an almsdish of 1725 and
a silver-gilt spoon of 1838.
The ecclesiastical parish of ALL SAINTS, Boyn
Hill, was formed in 1858. The church consists
of a chancel, with south vestry and organ chamber,
nave, aisles, south porch, a tower and spire at the
north-west, and a bellcote over the east gable of the
The church was erected from the designs of the
late G.E. Street in the year 1857, the nave then
consisting of four bays, and the tower standing
isolated at the north-west corner of the nave. In
1907 the nave was extended two bays westward, the
ground stage of the tower now forming a north porch.
The materials are brick, with dressings and bands of
stone and coloured brick.
The tower is surmounted by
a broach spire of stone and
there is a stone bellcote over
the east gable of the nave.
The roofs are of timber,
covered externally with tiles.
The living is a vicarage in
the gift of the Bishop of
The church of ST. PETER
at Maidenhead, erected in
1894, consists of a chancel
with an apsidal end, a south
vestry and organ chamber, a
nave and aisles and a west
porch, while on the roof
between the chancel and the
nave is a small bellcote
covered with a shingle spire.
The walls both inside and
out are faced with red bricks
with diaper work and strings
of purple bricks, and the
dressings are of stone. The
roofs are open and covered
with tiles. It serves as a chapel of case to St.
The church of ST. PAUL, High Town Road,
Maidenhead, erected in 1887 and consecrated in
1889, consists of a continuous aisleless nave and
chancel, north vestry, north porch, a semicircular
western baptistery, and a wooden bellcote surmounting the roof. The materials are yellow and red brick,
with stone dressings. At the west end of the nave is
a semicircular baptistery. The roofs are of timber,
covered with tiles. It serves as a chapel of ease to
All Saints, Boyn Hill.
There was a church at Bray in
1086. (fn. 4) It was granted about 1133
to the abbey of Cirencester by
Henry I, whose gift was afterwards confirmed by
John, (fn. 5) and the abbot and convent received licence to
appropriate it before 1274. (fn. 6) It continued in their
possession till the Dissolution, (fn. 7) when the vicarage
was worth £25 4s. 4d. yearly. (fn. 8) In 1547 it was
granted by Edward VI to the Bishop of Oxford, (fn. 9) to
whose successors it belonged until the time of the
Commonwealth. (fn. 10) It was sold by the Parliamentary
commissioners to Francis Hardinge in 1651, (fn. 11) but
was recovered at the Restoration by the Bishop of
Oxford, (fn. 12) to which see the patronage still belongs. (fn. 13)
Simon Allen, vicar of Bray between 1538 and
1565, was, according to Fuller, the time-server who
held his living under the last four Tudors, and 'being
taxed for an inconstant changeling' answered that
he had always kept true to his principle, to live and
die vicar of Bray. (fn. 14) The story is, however, better
known through the song, which makes the vicar live
more than a century later in order to give him the
opportunity of asserting his principle more frequently.
Maidenhead, since 1870 a separate ecclesiastical
parish, was formerly divided between the two parishes
of Cookham and Bray. The chapel was built towards
the close of the episcopate of Walter de la Wyle,
Bishop of Salisbury (1263–74), without any sanction
from either of the vicars of the parishes concerned, and
the bishop therefore refused his licence and placed an
interdict on the building. (fn. 15) This was upheld by his
successor Robert de Wickhampton, (fn. 16) and it was not until
1324 that the vicars of Cookham and Bray withdrew
their opposition and the Bishop of Salisbury, Roger
de Mortival, procured relaxation of the interdict. (fn. 17)
It was then agreed that the vicar of Cookham was to
nominate a priest to serve the chapel, (fn. 18) but this right
was afterwards usurped by the inhabitants of Maidenhead. (fn. 19) They retained it until 1582, after which it
passed to the corporation, who are known to have
exercised the patronage at least as far back as the
earlier part of the reign of Charles I. (fn. 20) The right to
nominate was, however, still claimed by the townsmen
and gave rise to protracted legal proceedings in 1779,
when the corporation nominated Mr. Onslow and
the townsmen Mr. Leicester. (fn. 21) The vicar of Cookham also claimed the right to present, but he soon
withdrew from the contest and the corporation made
good their claim. They continued to be the patrons
of the living until the Muncipal Reform Act, (fn. 22)
when the advowson was sold to Mr. Ebenezer Fuller
Maitland. It is now the property of the Peache
Trustees. (fn. 23)
For William Cherry's foundation
founded by William Cherry and
endowed by his will dated 30 August
1703 see article on schools. (fn. 24) A free school for
twenty poor boys was originally carried on in an old
chapel in the churchyard. In 1890 the property
purchased with the legacy of £500 was sold and the
proceeds invested in £1,018 2s. 6d. consols, with the
official trustees, producing £25 9s. a year, which
under a scheme of the Board of Education of 18 May
1906 is made applicable in the maintenance of
exhibitions of the value of £10 a year tenable for the
purposes of instruction higher than elementary.
Jesus Hospital and its subsidiary endowments.
William Goddard, who died in 1609, by his will
(exact date unknown) devised to the wardens and
commonalty of the mystery of Fishmongers of
London, after the decease of his wife Joyce, lands in
London and his lands in Bray for the purpose of
erecting almshouses to accommodate six aged and poor
persons of the company, and thirty-four aged poor of
the parish of Bray, to be called 'Jesus Hospital in Bray
of the foundation of William Goddard.' The hospital
was completed by the company in 1628 under Letters
Patent of 13 August 1616.
The trust estates, which had undergone considerable
changes in consequence of an inclosure in the parish
and of certain exchanges and sales, now consist of the
site on the outskirts of the village, and buildings in
quadrangular form containing forty almshouses with
a chapel and rooms for a chaplain, Short Lane Farm
and Lords Lane Farm and other lands in Bray, containing together 232 acres or thereabouts, producing
about £300 a year, also no. 10 Aldgate High Street
and no. 3 Jewry Street in the City of London, let at
£710 per annum; also a sum of £2,610 15s. 10d.
consols in the corporate name of the company,
representing proceeds of sale of property in Aldgate,
sales of timber, &c., and surplus income producing
£65 5s. 4d.
The following subsidiary charities are also applicable
for the benefit of the hospital, namely:
Jeremiah Copping, by will, 1686, trust fund
consisting of a moiety of £2,367 14s. 1d. consols;
Thomas Cooke, by will, 1810, trust fund consisting of
£5,900 consols; Robert Baskerville's gift in 1653
of £4 per annum, John Owen's gift in 1676 of £1
per annum, and John Hibbert's gift in 1856 of
£500 in 1857 of a further £500 on the condition
that the company should increase the weekly allowances
of the married parishionary almspeople by 2s. a week;
and a further gift of £1,000 in 1860 for increasing
the allowances by 6d. a week to each of the
parishionary almspeople, both married and single.
Payments amounting to about £110 a year are duly
made by the company in respect of these gifts.
Sophia Ann Osborne, by will proved at Birmingham
1876, trust fund £205 2s. 7d. consols with the
official trustees, subject to keeping in repair the tomb
in the churchyard; George Pearce by will, proved
at London 1878, trust fund £2,946 13s. 4d. consols,
including an addition by the company, so as to
provide 1s. per week for the parishionary almspeople,
and William Joshua Clarke by will, proved at London
in 1896, trust fund £230 12s. 9d. 2½ per cent.
annuities, the income to be distributed on 2 August,
the anniversary of the death of his father, in each year
equally between the parishionary almspeople.
The income from rents of the realty and from
dividends of the principal charity amounted in 1907
to £1,079 3s. 8d. and the income from the subsidiary
charities to £360 14s. 4d., to which the company
added a sum of £160 4s.
The allowances paid to the company's almspeople
are, married couples 16s. per week and single inmates
11s. per week. The allowances to the parishionary
almspeople are 8s. 6d. per week to married couples
and 6s. per week to single inmates. Each almsperson
receives also annually 2s. 6d. in respect of Osborne's
gift, 5s. on annual visitation and two tons of coal
and twenty-five bundles of faggots, and biennially
each almsman receives a suit of clothes and each
almswoman a gown.
The chaplain receives £150 per annum, and £60
is paid for medical attendance.
—The parish is entitled to have an
inmate in this hospital.
The charity of Sir John Norreys was founded by
deed of settlement of 30 January 1609, whereby the
donor enfeoffed unto trustees certain parcels of ground
severally lying in certain hamlets of the parish upon
which small cottages had been erected to be used rent
free for poor aged and impotent inhabitants. The
charity was the subject of an inquisition of charitable
uses at Maidenhead in 1699, and also of applications
to the Court of Chancery from time to time, in
consequence of persons in occupation of the charity
estates claiming adversely against the trustees. (fn. 25) Owing
to the unsatisfactory condition of the charity and to
the fear of personal liability for costs it was found to
be impossible to induce persons to accept the trusteeship. The charity is accordingly in abeyance.
The three charities next mentioned are regulated
by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of
4 November 1902, namely :—the charities of Robert
Challoner, D.D., by will, 1621, consisting of rentcharges of 40s. for distribution to four of the godliest
poor of East Oakley and Bray, and 40s. for sermons,
which are now paid by Major M. Adam, the owner
of property at Oakley; John Bidleson by will, 1763,
trust fund £335 consols, with the official trustees,
producing £8 7s. 4d. a year, and the fuel allotment,
consisting of 6 a. 2 r. 6 p. awarded under the Bray
Inclosure Act, (fn. 26) let at £18 10s. a year.
In pursuance of the scheme, Dr. Challoner's charity
for the poor is distributed in sums of 10s. in cases of
sickness or other special distress, and the income of
Bidleson's charity is distributed annually on St.
Thomas's Day to poor persons of Bray town in meat
and bread, and the net income of the fuel allotment
in the distribution of coals to widows and old people
throughout the whole of the ancient parish.
The charity of Mary Rixman (see under Maidenhead).
—This parish participates in this charity for
apprenticing and clothing poor boys. Under a scheme
of 10 September 1895 every third boy is chosen from
the parish of Bray, which lies outside the borough of
Archbishop Laud's charity (see under Reading).
This parish has under a scheme of 18 December
1906 the right of having one boy in every twelve
apprenticed chosen from boys born in the parish of
In 1684 Sir William Paul, by will, charged land
called Kimbers with an annuity of £5 for the poor,
which is now in the possession of Col. Victor W. B.
Van de Weyer. The official trustees also hold a sum
of £332 0s. 3d. consols, representing the investment
of fifty-nine years of the annuity unpaid previous to
1795. The income of the charity, amounting to
£13 6s., is applied in aid of a clothing and shoe club
for the poor in augmentation of the contributions of
In 1709 Dame Mary Penyston, formerly wife of
Sir William Paul, by deed further charged Kimbers
with £5 a year for apprenticing a poor boy. The
income is accumulated until it amounts to £20, when
it is applied in apprenticing a boy, preferably from
the hamlet of Braywick.
The parish chalk-pit.
—From time immemorial the
parishioners have taken chalk from land in Canon
Lane, containing 5 acres or thereabouts, a portion of
which is let for cultivation at £2 10s. a year, which
is applied by the parish council in keeping the
property in order.
The Rev. Walter Levett's charity, founded by
deed 7 December 1853 (enrolled), consists of a cottage let to the vicar at £6 a year, and two tenements
adjoining, situate over the gateway leading to the
church, one of which is occupied, rent free, by a
widow and the other by a man and his wife.
The Touchen End chapel repairing fund consists
of £107 19s. 3d. consols, with the official trustees,
arising from a gift of the Rev. James Edward Austen
Leigh, vicar of Bray, by deed poll of 7 July 1862.
The official trustees also hold a sum of £534 15s. 2d.
consols, arising from a gift by Mrs. Levett to the Rev.
James Edward Austen Leigh, for the maintenance of a
school and church at Touchen End. The dividends,
amounting to £13 7s. 4d., are applied towards the
salary of the organist and expenses of heating and
insurance of the church.
In 1894 Mary Ann Clark, by her will proved at
London 15 February, bequeathed £200 to the rector
and churchwardens of St. Michael's Church, the
income to be applied in keeping the vault in the
churchyard in repair and the residue for the benefit
of the poor. The legacy was invested in the purchase of £198 16s. 7d. consols, producing £4 19s. 4d.
a year, which is applied in the distribution of
The same testatrix, subject to the life interest of
her husband, likewise bequeathed £500 to the same
trustees, the income to be applied for the benefit of
the charities connected with the same church. This
legacy was invested in £441 7s. 10d. consols, producing £11 0s. 8d. a year. A sum of £6 or £8 out
of the income is distributed in sums of 5s. or 10s.
each to poor persons belonging to the ecclesiastical
parish, and the residue is carried to the fund for the
maintenance of Touchen End Church and school
Educational charities: the National schools' endowment.
— The official trustees hold a sum of £1,630 10s.
consols, arising in part from a gift of Whitshed Keene,
by deed dated 26 April 1817, as an endowment of
the girls' school, and in part from a legacy of
Sir William Hearne for the schoolmaster. The
dividends, amounting to £40 15s., are applied as to
£2 18s. 2d. to the master of the Holyport school
and the residue in the provision of clothing for girls
attending the Braywick school and the Touchen End
school (see below).
The Braywick Church of England school is comprised in deed of 13 April 1819 by Mr. Pascoe
Grenfell. The Holyport Church of England school
is comprised in deed poll of 20 April 1848, by the
Fishmongers' Company. The Touchen End Church
of England school is comprised in deed poll of
31 December 1861, by Teresa Newcomen. All
Saints', Braywood, National schools are comprised in
deed poll of 19 May 1858, by Mr. Henry Darvill,
and additional land by Colonel Victor W. B. Van de
Weyer, by deed poll of 21 January 1900.
All Saints', Boyn Hill.
—In 1876 Emma Lamotte,
by will proved at London 14 July, bequeathed £1,000
in augmentation of the endowment of All Saints.
The legacy was invested in £856 4 per cent. debenture stock of the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company, in the name of the Ecclesiastical
Commissioners, producing £34 4s. 9d. a year.
The almshouses erected by Miss Frances Mary
Lamotte, and endowed by deed poll 10 July 1877
(enrolled on 1 August following), occupy part of the
land conveyed for the site of All Saints' Church.
The endowment was further augmented under the
will of Miss Lamotte, proved at London 18 June
1885. The trust property consists of the site and
buildings for six poor people, £453 19s. 9d. consols,
£113 17s. 11d. Great Indian Peninsular Railway
3 per cent. stock, and £82 8s. 11d. annuity class B
of the same railway, all held by the official trustees,
which, after deduction for sinking fund, &c., produce
an income of £75 a year or thereabouts. The
inmates are appointed by the vicar, who selects poor
women, usually of advanced age.
Town of Maidenhead.
— The municipal charities
formerly administered by the corporation are now
administered under an order of the Charity Commissioners of 10 September 1895, by a body of
trustees consisting of the mayor (ex officio), four
representative trustees appointed by the town council,
and five co-optative trustees. The following charities
comprise the municipal charities, namely:—
The charity of Elizabeth Merry, founded by will,
1686, consisting of a rent-charge of £5 a year on
two houses in the High Street. The rent-charge is
received from Mr. Charles Butler, and applied as a
scholarship tenable at the girls' High School. (fn. 27)
The charity of Abraham Spoore for education and
apprenticing, 1697, consists of trust property, a
messuage in High Street let at £97 10s., and the
'Vine' public-house in Market Street, let at £40.
The income, subject to the payment of 20s. a
year to the poor of Twyford, is applied in apprenticeship premiums, usually of the value of £25, and
of scholarships of the value of £10 a year, each
tenable at the modern school (see below).
The charity of Mrs. Mary Rixman, founded by
will, recited in an indenture dated 20 July 1628.
The trust estate consists of a house and three
cottages at Boyn Hill, let at £58 2s. 8d. a year,
2 a. 2 r. 10 p. of allotment ground producing £8 11s.
a year, 5 acres in Maidenhead Ray let at £13 2s. 6d.
a year, and £234 14s. 11d. consols, producing
£5 17s. 4d. a year, arising from the sale in 1892 of
3 r. 4 p. at Cox Green to the Great Western Railway.
The income is at present charged with £42 6s. a
year in repayment of a loan incurred in 1902 in the
erection of two cottages at Boyn Hill. The available income is applied in apprenticing. Two boys
out of three are chosen from the borough and the
third from the parish of Bray, the premium in each
case being £25.
The charity of Thomas Ring, founded by will,
20 July 1636, consisting of 4 a. 1 r. 12 p. with a
messuage and outbuildings erected thereon, acquired
under the Cookham inclosure award, dated 15 January
1852, 3 r. 21 p. near North Town, a piece of land
near thereto with two cottages erected thereon, let
on lease for ninety-nine years from Lady Day, 1876,
at the yearly rent of £45, also four cottages and
gardens at North Town let on yearly tenancies at
rents amounting to £49.
A sum of about £50 a year, together with about
£20 from Margaret Poole's charity next mentioned,
is applied in an annual distribution of flannel and
The charity of Margaret Poole, founded by deed,
3 March 1641, endowed with about 20 acres in
Wargrave let on lease for 500 years from 1800, at
the yearly rent of £30, of which £20 a year is
applied in the distribution of clothing (see Ring's
charity above), the residue being accumulated. In
1908 there was a balance in hand of £76 13s. 6d.
(see also the charity of Ralph Poole, below).
Lady Pocock's ecclesiastical charity.
Dame Ann Pocock, by her will, proved with ten
codicils in the P.C.C. on 30 July (among other
charitable bequests), bequeathed £2,000 for the
support of Sunday schools, which was augmented by
a legacy of £400 under the will of John Innes
Pocock proved at London 1 May 1865. The two
legacies are represented by £3,092 14s. 6d. consols,
producing £77 6s. 4d. a year, which is applied in
providing clothing and prizes for girls attending
Church of England Sunday schools in the ecclesiastical
parishes of the borough.
Lady Pocock's non-ecclesiastical charity.
same testatrix by her said will and codicils directed
certain annual payments for charitable purposes
(including £30 for the poor of Cookham parish), for
the poor of Maidenhead and Cookham in money,
bread, coals, meat, &c., and in gifts to single women
servants who have lived in one service not less than
seven years in Maidenhead or its vicinity. The
trust fund of this branch of the charity consists of
£6,774 4s. 8d. consols, producing an annual income
of £169 7s., of which £30 is paid to the parochial
charities of Cookham (see under Cookham parish)
and the residue applied in pursuance of the provision
of a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of
22 December 1890.
The almshouses, founded and endowed by James
Smyth, citizen and salter of London, by deed, 1661,
consist of eight almshouses for eight poor men and
their wives, and are under the management of the
Salters' Company. The original trust property has
by reason of inclosures, sales, purchases, and exchanges
undergone considerable alterations.
The following subsidiary endowments have also
been made, namely: In or about 1680 Mrs. Smyth,
presumably the widow of the founder, gave £200 to
the company for the poor, in respect of which £8 a
year is paid to the charity.
In 1764 by deed (enrolled) Mrs. Mary Parkhurst
and Miss Elizabeth Smith, descendants of the
founder, settled an annuity of £50, charged on
certain lands in St. Mary, Rotherhithe, for the
benefit of the inmates. The annuity was redeemed
in 1899, and is represented by £2,235 13s. 5d.
India 2½ per cent. stock, of which £1,400 is in
course of accumulation.
In 1878 George Pearce by will, proved at London
7 January, left £1,000 to the Salter's Company for
the use of the inmates. The legacy, less duty, was
invested in £900 10s. 4d. Metropolitan 3½ per cent.
stock in the corporate name of the company.
The charity is also endowed with 98a. 2 r. in
the parish of Bray, known as Norden Farm, let for
twenty-one years from 1894 at £140 10s. a year,
also with £1,467 15s. 8d. consols on remittance
account, £1,783 12s. 9d. like stock accumulating, and
£229 15s. 11d. India 2½ per cent. stock accumulating.
The available income amounts to £238 or thereabouts, out of which, under an order of the Court of
Chancery of 1825, certain fixed payments amounting
to £31 8s. are made annually, including £10 8s. to
the Cookham parochial charities and £8 to Beamond's Almshouses, Watford, Herts. The administration is regulated by a scheme of the Charity
Commissioners of 14 March 1902. The stipends of
the almspeople are at the rate of 6s. per week each,
and each inmate receives also 1½ tons of coal annually
and a coat or cloak every second year.
In 1716 Charles Davis by will devised his freehold estate at Maidenhead in trust for the use of the
poor of the town, subject to the payments therein
mentioned. The trust property consists of nos. 79
and 81 High Street, let respectively for twenty-one
years from 29 September 1902 at the yearly rent of
£55, and twenty-one years from 29 September 1906 at
£80 for the first ten years and thereafter at £100 a year.
The charity is administered under a scheme of the
Charity Commissioners of 26 April 1881 as amended
by a subsequent scheme of 25 September 1896; 10s.
is paid to the vicar for a sermon on 11 November
annually, 5s. to the church cleaner, and about £3 for
refreshments to the trustees. A sum of £25 a year
is usually paid to the vicar for St. Mary's coal and
clothing clubs and £5 to each of the other clothing
clubs in the borough, £10 a year in special cases of
distress, and about £50 a year in the distribution of
coals on 11 November to about 200 recipients.
In 1729 Richard Whitfield, by will proved in the
P.C.C. 28 January, devised an annuity of £6 10s.
issuing out of certain property in Wheatley, Oxfordshire, to be applied in money and clothing of four
poor men and two poor women, residents in the
borough. The annuity is received from the Misses
Sheldon, Cromwell House, Wheatley, of which onehalf is distributed by the mayor and the other half
by the vicar of St. Andrew's and St. Mary's to poor
persons resident in the borough in sums of 5s. each.
In 1797 Ann Seymour, widow, by will proved in
the P.C.C. 24 October, directed that stock should
be purchased sufficient to produce £20 a year which
— subject to the life interest of her son Henry and
his wife (if surviving) and to the contingency of there
being no issue—the testatrix directed should be applied
towards the establishment of a school for poor girls to
be trained for domestic service. The charity came into
operation in 1835 on the decease of the son's widow.
A school for girls had previously to that date been
established under Lady Pocock's charity (see above)
and the income of this charity is now applied in
giving clothing of the value of about 37s. 6d. in each
case, and a Bible and Prayer Book to girls leaving
Brock Lane Sunday school (see below) and taking a
place in service, and in books for the general use of
the Sunday school. The trust fund consists of
£665 5s. 2d. consols, producing £16 12s. 4d. a year.
Miss Charity Shapland, who died in or about
1835, by her will bequeathed her personal estate to
her executor, Charles Williams, surgeon, upon trust,
to apply the income as he should think fit for the
benefit of the poor of the town. Under orders of
the Court of Chancery, 1858 and 1859, the trust
funds, amounting to £1,099 19s. 4d. consols, were
transferred to the official trustees. The annual dividends, amounting to £27 10s., are applied in the
distribution of clothing, usually in tickets of the value
of 5s. each, divided among the ecclesiastical parishes
in the borough, in the proportion of half to St.
Andrew's and St. Mary's, a quarter to St. Luke's
and a quarter to All Saints'. Grants are also made
to the clothing and maternity clubs.
Ralph Poole's charity.
—An ancient tablet in the
church at Cookham states that Mr. Ralph Poole gave
by will £10 8s. yearly for ever out of an estate called
Munkendon's. The rent-charge, now £10 a year,
paid as a charge on a dwelling-house in the High
Street, was, by an order of the Charity Commissioners of 10 May 1901, vested in the official trustee
of charity lands, and by the same order it was provided that the charity should be administered by the
trustees of the municipal charities, and applied in
the supply of clothes, linen, fuel, tools, medical or
other aid in sickness, or in temporary relief in money
in special cases.
In 1869 Robert Wyvill, by will proved at Oxford
22 September, bequeathed £400 to the incumbent
and churchwardens of St. Mary Magdalene and St.
Andrew, represented by £541 11s. consols, the
annual dividends to be applied in the distribution at
Christmas time of bread, coals, clothing or otherwise
among deserving poor. The dividends, amounting
to £13 10s. 8d., are applied in tickets for goods of
the value of 2s. 6d. each.
In 1884 Emily Beeney, by her will proved at
London 22 July, gave the residue of her estate to
Miss Helen Mary Coney upon trust, to apply the
same among such of the deserving poor of the neighbourhood of Maidenhead as in her absolute discretion she should think fit. Miss Coney proposed to
establish almshouses therewith, but died before she
had carried out her intention (see charity next mentioned). The trust fund is represented by £603 8s. 9d.
consols, producing £15 1s. 8d. a year, which under
a scheme of 15 June 1887 is made applicable by the
vicar and churchwardens of St. Luke's in payments
not exceeding 20s. each in December annually to
poor widows being not less than fifty years of age and
resident in that parish. The several sums of stock
above mentioned, except where otherwise stated, are
held by the official trustees in trust for the respective
In 1886 Helen Mary Coney, by her will proved
at London 29 May, bequeathed (after the decease of
the survivor of two annuitants therein mentioned)
£6,000 stock to the respective vicars of St. Luke's
and St. Mary's upon trust, to pay the income at the
rate of 6s. per week to each of such six old couples
as they should in their absolute discretion select—
the survivor of such couples to retain the pension—
and upon further trust to pay 5s. a week to widows
and spinsters of the age of sixty years or upwards.
The estate being insufficient to pay the legacies in
full, a sum of £5,644 0s. 1d. consols was in 1902,
on the decease of the survivor of the two annuitants,
transferred by the executors into the names of the
Rev. Henry George Jephson Meard and the Rev.
Charles Hewitson Nash, then the incumbents of the
respective parishes, by whom the dividends, amounting to £141 2s. a year, are applied in equal proportions in the manner directed by the testatrix.
The Samuel Lewis old age pension fund.
his will, proved at London 24 January 1901, Samuel
Lewis gave, after the decease of his wife (which
event happened in 1906), £15,000 for such charitable
institution or institutions at Maidenhead or Cookham
as his trustees should select. By an order of the
High Court of 4 July 1908 it was directed that the
legacy (less the sum of £1,000 paid thereout to the
Maidenhead boys' club) should be applied as to twothirds thereof in the provision of old age pensions in
Maidenhead and as to one-third thereof for the like
purpose in the parish of Cookham (including Cookham Dean) in accordance with schemes filed 4 July
1908. In pursuance of the same order the following
securities have been transferred to the official trustees,
namely: £3,214 19s. Metropolitan Water ('B')
3 per cent. stock, £3,018 16s. 4d. India 3½ per
cent. stock, and £1,090 11s. 9d. Bank of Ireland
stock, producing in 1908 an aggregate income of
£334 2s. 4d., which, in accordance with the provisions of the scheme, is applied in monthly payments
at the rate of not exceeding £30 per annum for
married couples and not exceeding £20 per annum
in the case of single men or women, widowers or
widows. For the one-third share applicable in
Cookham see under the parish of Cookham.
The Cottage Hospital and subsidiary endowments.
—The hospital buildings were erected by voluntary
contributions on a site purchased in 1878, and subsequent extensions have been carried out on adjoining
ground purchased in 1897 and 1902. Samuel Lewis,
by his will above referred to, bequeathed £10,000 to
the hospital for founding and endowing a wing to be
called the Ada Lewis Wing, of which £2,000 was
spent in its erection and equipment and the balance
of the legacy was in 1908 represented by £2,000
Middlesex County 3 per cent. stock, £4,666 11s. 3d.
colonial securities and £1,532 8s. 7d. Reading Corporation 3½ per cent. stock in the names of trustees,
and £1,613 5s. 6d. on deposit with Lloyds Bank,
producing an aggregate income of £308.
In 1904 John Gillham Womack, by will proved
at London 29 September, directed that after the
decease or second marriage of his wife his trustees
should out of his residuary trust funds raise the sum
of £1,500, which he bequeathed free of legacy duty,
for the endowment of a bed to be called the
Taplow Bed, to be held so far as practicable at the
disposal of residents from the village of Taplow.
The Natioal school, East Street, founded in 1819,
has no endowment other than the site and buildings,
comprised in a deed of grant, 1862. The school is
conducted as a Church of England public elementary
The National school, Brock Lane, comprised in
deed, 1845 (enrolled), is now used as a Sunday school
in connexion with the church of St. Andrew and
St. Mary Magdalene, and part is occupied by a caretaker. There is no income from endowment.
The Modern School.
—This school was opened in
1894 by the Maidenhead Commercial School Company, Limited. The present school buildings and
site, comprised in deed of 7 June 1902, were subject
to a mortgage debt of £950, which is being repaid
by instalments, the amount outstanding in 1908
being £775 16s. 8d., and there was a sum of £200
on deposit with Lloyds Bank. In 1906 the governors
transferred the management of the school to the
Berkshire County Council as the local education
authority. It is understood that the school, which
is inadequate for its purpose, will be removed to
more commodious premises.
Congregational Chapel Manse.
—In 1760, by deed
(enrolled 24 October 1760), a sum of £333 6s. 8d.
South Sea annuities was settled for the benefit of the
minister of the meeting-house of Protestant Dissenters.
In 1781, by deed (enrolled 23 July 1782), a further
sum of £400 was settled for the same purpose. By
a deed dated 8 June 1887 (enrolled 8 November
following) a messuage in Marlow Road, known as
Greenfield, was in consideration of £800 (towards
which the above-mentioned trust funds were applied)
conveyed to trustees to be used as a manse for the
minister. The manse was in 1906 vested in the
official trustee of charity lands, together with a small
piece of adjoining land purchased with voluntary
contributions and comprised in an instrument of
transfer dated 25 May 1907. The premises are
registered under the Land Transfer Acts (Title 9647,
T.). A sum of £8 a year is received from the
minister by a way of rent, which is applied in payment
of repairs, insurance and other expenses.
In 1872 William Micklem Eyles, by will proved
at London 1 October, gave (after the decease of a
person therein named) to the deacons for the time
being of the Congregational chapel, known as Back
Lane Chapel, his residuary personal estate to be
applied yearly in the distribution of coals to poor and
deserving persons in quantities not exceeding one ton,
the names of the recipients and the entire cost to be
presented yearly to each member of the church, and
the testator declared that in case the directions
therein given were not carried out for a period
of three years the said residue should pass to the
Royal National Lifeboat Institution. The sum of
£910 11s. 7d. consols, representing the bequest, was
received in 1895, and now stands in the names of
James Jones, James Moores and Charles Alfred Vardy.
The dividends, amounting to £22 15s., are duly applied.
Kidwells Park, originally the gift of James Daniel
Morling Pearce by deed poll 23 July 1890 (enrolled
31 July following), consisted of 12 acres lying between
Marlow Road and Market Street, on part of which a
technical institute was erected in 1893–4. By deed
dated 1 June 1901, with the sanction of the Charity
Commissioners, a portion of the premises was exchanged for four houses in Bridge Street and two
houses in Victoria Street let on long leases at the
yearly rents of £30 and £15 respectively. The
income of the charity consists of £45 from the house
property and payments received from cricket and
other clubs using the recreation ground.