THE PARISH OF ST. THEOBALD, MUSGRAVE.
The church was appropriated to the abbey of St. Mary of York,
but the abbot found that he could not maintain a vicar out of the
small revenues of the parish, nor obtain any benefit to the abbey
therefrom, so that the church continued to be a rectory. In the
year 1248 the abbot and convent granted the patronage to Sylvester
de Everdon, bishop of Carlisle, and his successors, saving to themselves the ancient and accustomed pension out of the same.
In the "Antique Taxatio Ecclesiastica" of Pope Nicholas IV,
made in the year 1291, the church is valued at £13. 6. 8 with a
pension to the abbot of York of five shillings. By the "Novo
Taxatio" of 1318 the value is reduced to one pound. See page 22.
The "Valor Ecclesiasticus" made by Parliamentary authority,
26 Henry VIII, 1535, gives the following:—
|Musgrave Rectory, John Knollys incumbent.|
|The aforesaid rectory is worth in—|
|Mansion and Glebe||1||13||4|
|Tithes of grain||10||0||0|
|Tithes of hay||18||10½|
|" lamb and wool||2||6||8|
|" flax and hemp||3||0|
|Calves and the lesser fees as in the Easter|
|Reprisals to wit—|
|Synodals 2s., and Procurations 4s.||6||0|
|Clear annual value||£16||8||10½|
|A tenth part whereof||1||12||10¾|
The Commonwealth Survey of 1649 valued the living at £66. 13. 4.,
John Vaux being the incumbent. The subsequent Survey of 1657 is
That the right of presentation to the church was heretofore in the
Bishop of Carlisle and now in his highness the Lord Protector. That
Mr. John Vaux is present incumbent there and hath for his maintenance the glebe worth £6. 13. 4 by the year and the tithes of hay
corn, wool, lamb and all other tithes within the said parish worth £40
by the year. There is nothing said to show the reason for this great
decline in the valuation.
The site of the old church was within a few yards of the bank of
the Eden, and the old rectory on even lower ground, so that whenever
the river was swollen the church was sometimes, and the rectory
frequently, flooded with two or three feet of water. In 1845–6 the
new church was erected upon higher ground at a cost of £550, and was
restored after the fire of 1921.
In the church is a brass with kneeling effigy, to Thomas Ouds,
rector and official of the bishop and archdeacon of Carlisle—so it is
said but we cannot meet with the name elsewhere.
A list of the Incumbents whose names have been met with during
the present research.
|1298–1303||William de Burdon|
|1303–||Robert de Halton|
|1312–||Rich. de Graystoke|
|1313–||John de Burdon|
|1317–1330||Tho. de Goldington|
|1359–1361||John de Soulby|
|1378–||Thomas de Malteby|
| –d.1577||John Birkbeck|
Great Musgrave School.
There used to be an old school house on the Waste with an endowment of £66. 10s. 0d. given at various times by charitable people.
Philip Waller of Parkhouses, Brough, by his will dated 19 May, 1778,
bequeathed £400 to various useful purposes among which his
Trustees were to pay £4 a year to the schoolmaster of Great Musgrave,
he teaching eight poor children there.
The school appears to have been refounded by Dr. Septimus
Collinson, provost of Queen's College, Oxford, who in 1827 endowed
the same with £1500. He stipulated that it was to be conducted on
the Madras College, St. Andrews, system, Shortly after his nephews
subscribed £300 towards the erection of the school and master's
house at Langrigg.
On the north side of Swindale Beck there is a farm house which
bears this name, but in the adjoining field, now called Calf Garth,
are clear indications of foundations of the original hall or manor
house of the Musgraves.
Bland's Wath Bridge, over the Eden on the road between Warcop
and K. Stephen.
Quarter Sessions ordered on 5 March, 1814, the High Constable of
the East Ward to superintend the erection of Blandswath Bridge
about to be erected by public subscription. On 18 February, 1815,
the newspapers congratulate the public on the completion "of that
long wanted accommodation—a carriage bridge over the Eden at
Bland's Wath." The subscription for defraying the cost, raised
amidst the pressure of taxes and the burthens of war, amounted to
£402. 10. 6. But as the total cost was only £369. 19. 6 there was a
balance left over of £32. 11. 0 which the subscribers voted towards
the cost of a bridge about to be erected over Eastfield Wath near
unto K. Stephen; and they further hoped that Musgrave Wath
Bridge will also be rebuilt upon a larger scale for the security of the
public as within the brief period of 70 years no less than fourteen
unfortunate people had perished at one or the other of those three
Then came the great flood in the Eden on 2 February, 1822, when
this newly built bridge was washed away. Before very long it was
rebuilt as it appears upon the list of public County bridges made in
the year 1825.
Musgrave Bridge over the river Eden.
On 18 July, 1649, at the Assize held at Appleby, sixteen bridges
were presented as in decay after the Civil War, Musgrave Bridge being
one of them, when it was ordered that 4s. in the pound be assessed
and levied upon the whole County towards the repair of the same.
On 7 April, 1662, presentment was made to Quarter Sessions that this
bridge being in the King's highway was very ruinous and in great
decay. An order issued for its repair. It appears upon the list of
public bridges made on 28 April, 1679. On 19 April, 1680, a certificate was received by the Sessions that the bridge was again in great
decay; when it was ordered that Thomas Birkbeck, John Smith and
John Morland, who had undertaken to repair the public bridges,
should speedily take care to repair the same. Again on 25 May,
1688, the High Constables were ordered to forthwith support the
bridge at Great Musgrave so that passengers may go with security
over the same till further order be given for the rebuilding of it.
In October, 1690 an assessment of 10d. in the pound was levied for
the efficient repair of this wooden bridge, an assessment that raised
£54. 8. 0. On 13 August, 1709, the inhabitants of Great Musgrave
petitioned Quarter Sessions showing that the public bridge there
was very ruinous and in decay and praying that it might be speedily
amended; whereupon the surveyors were ordered to repair it with
"eight spurs or supports of substantial oak wood to be placed between
the pillars and land staples to support the timber lying from the
pillars to the land staples, the whole to be skilfully fixed and that the
pavement upon the bridge and causeys at each end be also well
and sufficiently repaired."
On 17 April, 1732, an assessment of 3d. in the pound was levied in
the East and West Wards, as well upon tenant right as demesne
lands for the rebuilding of this bridge. On 22 April, 1734, it was
reported that this new bridge had fallen down, when it was ordered
that the High Constables should view the place where the bridge was
and contract for the rebuilding. Surely it was time to think of a
stone bridge! After building Bland's Wath Bridge in 1815, the
inhabitants hoped that "Musgrave Wath Bridge" would also be
rebuilt, seeing that several unfortunate people had perished there.
But it was not until 29 January, 1825, that the building of a stone
bridge was let to Brown and Broderick for the sum of £1630. On
12 January, 1829, a committee of Magistrates was appointed to view
and ascertain how far the Rectory house and land have been made
more liable to inundation by the erection of the new bridge. On
25 July following, at the recommendation of this committee it was
ordered that a tunnel be built at the bridge to take the overflow
waters at a cost of £43.
There was a cause settled at Appleby between Thorphin son of
Robert and the monks of Byland of the one part, and Robert son of
Peter Musgrave and his tenants of the other part, concerning common
of pasture between Musgrave and Bleatarn. The award was that
"there shall remain to Robert son of Peter, 82 acres, viz. from the
thorn upon Hoberghe, across the syke under Maureberghe, to the
way towards Musegrave; and from the said thorn the whole shall
remain to the monks towards the Grange, and to the way nigh the
chapel; and the cattle of Robert shall never enter within these
bounds nor the cattle of the monks within the property of Robert.
Also Robert shall have one outgate for the cattle of Musegrave upon
Maureberghe, between the culture of the monks and the vale under
Hoberghe and from thence to the tarn, and from thence to the way
upon Cressekeld [Keldhead] which goes towards Appleby and to the
place where four ways meet, and from thence to the head of the Tarn.
All this shall be in common pasture for the cattle of Musegrave and
the cattle of the monks. But the monks shall plow the culture nigh
the mill dam unto the Tarn, and shall have their culture upon
Maureberghe, and the meadow in property, as they had before this
composition, and shall plow nothing more there, and the cattle of
Musegrave shall never enter, And if the cattle of either of them should
trespass beyond their limits, they were to pay to the party injured
one penny for 20 cattle according to the custom of the country."
The land appears to lie north-west of Little Musgrave and between
the Eden and the Soulby-Appleby road. The manor of Bleatarn had
been granted to the abbot and convent of Byland in the reign of
Henry II, and naturally the monks would wish to establish the
boundary between them and Musgrave.
Final Concord between Richard de Musgrave, plaintiff, and Thomas
de Musgrave, deforciant, of the manors of Musgrave, Sandford and
Morton. Richard grants the manors to Thomas and his heirs male;
the remainder to Richard and his heirs male. So that Richard shall
have and hold the manors of Musgrave and Sandford of the chief
lords for ever, and the manor of Morton of the heirs of Thomas for
By a fine levied 20 Edw. I it was found that Thomas de Musgrave,
who died before 1287, left two daughters and heirs, Avicia widow to
Thomas de Helbeck, and Isabel widow to Patrick de Castle Carrock.
1298 12 February.
William de Burdon, rector of Musgrave, was
granted licence to study for seven years, power being reserved to the
Bishop to appoint a vicar during that period, and to assign to that
vicar part of the income of the benefice, so that he could duly exercise
cure of soul and hospitality. The same dispensation was granted
on 3 November, 1317, to Thomas de Goldington, rector, to study for
three years at Montpellier, and in 1324 he was allowed two years
longer. Register of Bp. Halton.
From the Chartulary of St. Leonard's Hospital at York, Adam son
of Thomas de Musgrave gives to the Hospital of St. Peter of York
his toft and croft in Musgrave which is next the croft which Robert
the parson of Musgrave held of the same Hospital.
John de Soulby, rector of Musgrave, made his will on Saturday
before the Feast of St. Barnabas the Apostle, 11 June, 1361. It was
proved before the Archdeacon of London on 26 November and before
the Bishop of Carlisle on 10 January, 1361–2. Testa. Karl., 38.
Thomas de Malteby, parson of the church of
Musgrave, appeared against Thomas de Musgrave, knt., John de
Cabergn, chaplain, Thomas de Blenkinsop of Helbeck and Robert
de Louthre chaplain, in a plea wherefore with force and arms the
goods and chattels belonging to the said Thomas de Malteby worth
40 marks were taken and carried away from Musgrave. The sheriff
was ordered to distrain. De Banco Roll, 472, m. 408.
Thomas de Malteby, parson of the church of
Musgrave, by Adam Crosseby his attorney, against John de Briggenall, chaplain, in a plea that he render unto him a reasonable
account of the time when he was receiver of money for the same
Thomas. De Banco Rolls, 476, m. 611d.; 477, m. 460; 478, m. 249.
Mariota del Lathes, by her attorney, appeared against
Thomas Yovet and Robert del Bank of Musgrave, in a plea that they
took a cow and pig of her's valued at 20s. at Musgrave, and six
geese, six capons and six hens, price 6s. 8d. and her goods and
chattels to the value of 100s., against the peace of King Edward, late
king, and grandfather of his present majesty. De Banco Roll, 479,
Mussegrave magna paid a fifteenth as a subsidy to the king amounting to 33s. 4d., and Mussegrave parva, 13s. 8d. A total of £2. 7s. 0d.
Excheq. Q.R. Miscell. Books, vol. 7.
1669–1672 Hearth Tax Roll
1669–1672 Hearth Tax Roll, Lay Subsidy 195, n. 73.
|Sr. Phillip Musgrave||1|
|John Vaux, vicar||2|
Seven householders were exempted from payment of the Tax by
|Sr. Phillip Musgrave||1|
1682 2 October.
Quarter Sessions ordered that the heir of Miles
Hodgson and his other sons that have any ground adjoining do repair
the highway from Little Musgrave Gate to Bland's Gate upon pain
1707–8 12 January.
Thomas Lancaster of Little Musgrave, yeo. and
Lancelot Lancaster of the same, yeo. were indicted for obstructing
an ancient road leading from the Close of George Thompson called
Ellerside End to the town of Little Musgrave, by erecting a wall
across a gateway in a close called Home Close. Each were fined
1744–5 14 January.
Presentment that a great part of the King's highway
beginning at a place called Bland's Wath on the river Eden and
ending at a place called Musgrave Ford, lying between the market
towns of K. Stephen and Appleby, is dirty, founderous, full of water
and covered with pebble stones for want of reparation, so that his
majesty's subjects cannot pass that way without danger, etc.
1811 15 July.
The Rev. Richard Atkinson, rector of Musgrave, took
the usual oaths and subscribed the same according to law. On
6 July, 1832, the Rev. John Bowstead did the same as rector; and
on 4 January, 1847, the Rev. Joseph Chapelhow likewise on his
institution and again on 25 February, 1860, on qualifying as a
Justice of the Peace.
The Rev. Septimus Collinson, Provost of Queen's College, Oxford,
who was a native of this parish and founder and endower of the
Grammar School, died 24 January, 1827.
Little Musgrave, a manorial township, originally belonging to the
parish of Crosby Garrett, was joined in 1894 to the parish of Great
Musgrave, for civil purposes, under the provisions of the Local
The Wesleyan Chapel was erected in this year.