Extent, nature of land, &c.
This place is so called from its elevated situation, Head-leagh
signifying in the Saxon a high place. It is situated on the
east side of the great northern road, about eleven miles from London, and adjoining to the town of Chipping-Barnet. The parish,
which was formerly a hamlet to Edmonton (fn. 1) , lies in the hundred to
which that village gives name, and is bounded by Enfield on the
east, South Mims on the west and north, and by East Barnet on
the south. Before the enclosure of Enfield Chase, the parish of
Hadley contained about 340 acres, of which above 300 were meadow or pasture land; it is now enlarged by the addition of 240
acres, being parcel of the Chase allotted to this parish in lieu of its
right of common (fn. 2) . Fifty acres of this allotment being the Rector's
glebe, is cultivated, and for the most part arable, the remainder is still
waste. The soil at Hadley is chiefly clay, mixed with gravel. The
quota charged to the land-tax is 180l. 13s. 9d. which, in the year
1794, was at the rate of 2s. 4d. in the pound.
The manor of Hadley belonged formerly to the Mandevilles, and
I suppose it to have been included in the grant which Geoffrey de Mandeville Earl of Essex made to the Abbey of Walden, by the name of the
Hermitage of Hadley, and all its appurtenances (fn. 3) , together with right
of common pasture in the Chase, within which the Hermitage was
situated. At the dissolution, this manor, being parcel of the possessions of that monastery, was granted, anno 1540, to Thomas
Lord Audley (fn. 4) , who, four years afterwards, surrendered it again to
the King (fn. 5) . Queen Mary, anno 1557, granted it to Sir Thomas
Pope (fn. 6) . In the year 1574, it was aliened by Robert Staunford, or
Stamford, to William Kympton (fn. 7) ; and by the latter, anno 1582,
to Ralph Woodcock and Simon Hayes (fn. 8) . It continued in the
family of Hayes till the year 1684, when it was aliened to the
Honourable Vere Booth (fn. 9) , who died in 1717, having bequeathed
this manor to her brother George. He died in the year 1726,
having demised all his estates to Hester Pinney, who soon afterwards conveyed the manor of Hadley to Azariah Pinney, Esq. and
it continued in the same family till the year 1791, when it
was aliened by John Pinney, Esq. to Peter More, Esq. the present
Manor of Ludgraves.
The manor, or manor-farm, of Ludgraves in this parish, probably derives its name from William Lyghtgrave; who, in the year
1423, conveyed to William Somercotes, Thomas Frowyke, and
others, a messuage, 120 acres of land, 80 of meadow, and 80 of
wood, in Hadley (fn. 10) . John Marsh, in the year 1543, gave Ludgrave-farm to the King, in exchange for other lands (fn. 11) . Edward VI.
in the year 1553, granted it to William Herbert Earl of Pembroke (fn. 12) . At the time of this grant the auditor reported, that the
circumstance of its lying within the Chase, had been an impediment to its sale. Norden describes Ludgraves as "a very faire
house, scytuate in a valley neere Enfeyld Chase (fn. 13) ," but does not
mention its owner. In the year 1609, Cornelius Fyshe and others
aliened the manor of Ludgraves, and 20 acres of land, 40 of meadow, 90 of pasture, and 10 of wood, in Hadley and Edmonton,
to Sir Roger Wilbraham and his heirs (fn. 14) . I have not been able to
learn any thing farther relating to this estate, than that it is now
called the Blue-house-farm; that it was purchased by the late
Admiral West, and descended to his son Lieut. Col. West, whose
widow is the present proprietor.
The parish-church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of a chancel,
nave, two aisles, and two transepts. The aisles are separated from
the nave by depressed arches, and clustered columns. At the west
end is a square tower of flint, with stone coins; on the front is this
date,  (fn. 15) , accompanied with the device of a rose and a
wing, the cognizance, it is probable, either of the Abbey or one
of the Priors of Walden. At the top of the tower is an iron
beacon, which was blown down by the high wind on the first of
January 1779, when it was repaired and replaced. On the east
wall of the chancel is the monument of Henry, son of Roger
Carew, Esq. (fn. 16) , (by his wife Alice, relict of Sir William Staunford,
Justice of the Common Pleas,) who died anno 1626, aged 61.
There is a good portrait of him painted on board. He is represented in a black dress, with slashed sleeves, the cuffs ornamented
with lace. On the same wall is the monument of Elizabeth, wife
of Mutton Davies (fn. 17) , of the county of Flint, and daughter of Thomas Wilbraham, Esq. of Cheshire (1678). On the south wall is
the monument of Sir Roger Wilbraham, Knt. (fn. 17) (Solicitor-general
in Ireland during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and Master of the
Requests to James I.) who died anno 1616. This monument, which
is of veined marble, supported by columns of the Corinthian order,
and ornamented with good busts of Sir Roger Wilbraham and his
Lady, was the work of Nicholas Stone, and cost 80l. (fn. 18) On the
south wall is the monument of Richard Poston, 1742. On a wall
underneath the stairs leading to the gallery, is a brass plate to the memory of Philip son of Walter Grene, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife, Margaret, sister of Philip Grene, and Margaret Somercotes, who all died on
the 16th of September 1442. On the floor are the tombs of ——Barber (a brass plate partly concealed by a pew); William Gale (fn. 19) ,
M. A. of Oxford (a brass plate with figures) 1614; Margery, wife
of John Gale, 1652; Thomas Hall, merchant, 1654, and William Venables, Esq. 1687.
On the wall of the south aisle is the monument of Sarah, daughter
of David Pennant (fn. 20) , Esq. of Downing, (and sister of Thomas
Pennant, Esq.) who died anno 1780. On the floor are the tombs
of Edward Savage, Gent. (1733); George Barcley, merchant
(1756); William Chapman, Gent. (1758); the Reverend John
Pennant, (son of Peter Pennant, Esq. of Bychton in the county of
Flint, by Catherine, daughter of Owen Wynne, Esq.) Rector of
Hadley, and of Compton Martin in the county of Somerset, chaplain to the Princess-dowager of Wales; he died anno 1770, having
resided at Hadley almost forty years; Thomas Nuthall, Esq. (Soli
citor to the Treasury and the East India Company,) (1775); and
Thomas Chapman, Esq. (1789).
Cognizance of the Gooderes.
In the windows of the north transept are some remains of painted
glass, among which is a punning cognizance adopted by the family
of Goodere, who flourished at Hadley for several generations previously to the year 1600. It represents a young partridge, with a
large ear of wheat in its bill; to which, left the allusion should not
be understood, is annexed a scroll with the word Gooder. The
same device occurs on a pillar near the south transept, very well
executed in also relievo. Round the window above mentioned is
a border of large ears of wheat, each of which has a scroll inscribed
Gooder. It is most probable that one of the Goodere family was
a principal benefactor towards rebuilding the church. Weever
mentions the tomb of John Goodere, Esq. who died anno 1504.
There is still in the north transept a brass plate to the memory of
Anne Walkeden, of the Goodere family, who died in 1575. In
the same transept is the monument of Cecile, wife of John Walker,
Esq. (1736); and on the floor the tomb of Mr. Edward Benskin
In the north aisle are the monuments of Piggot Ince, Esq. (fn. 21) (1765,)
and James Berkeley, Esq. (fn. 22) (1767). On the floor are the tombs of
Mrs. Jezabelah Webster (1733); Mr. Thomas Shewell (1734);
and Mrs. Margaret Mattison, daughter of Sir Edward Graves of
Stead Hill in Kent (1749). In the nave are the tombs of Anne,
wife of Admiral James Steuart (1741); John Chandler, citizen of
London (1780); and John Burrows, LL. D. Rector of Hadley,
and of St. Clements (in the Strand) (1786). At the west end of
the church are the monuments of Anne, daughter of Henry Hitch,
Esq. (fn. 23) , of Leathley in the county of York, wife of Sir Richard
Wynne, Serjeant at Law (1720); and Margaret, wife of Francis
Barroneau, Esq. (1793). The font is of Gothic architecture, ornamented with quatrefoils.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Elizabeth, relict of Valentine Warter (1723); Robert Stebbing, citizen of London (1726);
Thomas Robinson, Gent. (1727); William Brudenell, Gent. sworn
clerk of Chancery (1734); Joseph Lord Viscount Micklethwaite
(1734); Mr. Edward Wadeson (1738); Mrs. Elizabeth, daughter
of John Coke, Esq. of the county of Derby, by Mary, daughter
of Sir Thomas Leventhorp (1739); Andrew Hopegood, merchant
(1742); Sarah his wife, aged 90 (1774); Nicholas Cotterell of
Furnival's Inn, Gent. (1742); Charles Egerton, Esq. (1747);
Sandford Nevile, Procurator General to the Earl Marshal, &c. 16th
child of Gervas Nevile of Holbech near Leeds (1748); George
Hailes, Gent. (1754); Miss Sarah Reed (1781); Miss Charlotte
Monro (1783); John Egerton, Esq. (1789); Bristowe Burnell,
Esq. (1789); John Monro, M. D. (1791); and Mrs. Jane Musgrave,
aged 100 (1793).
The Hermitage of Hadley is mentioned among the possessions of
Walden Abbey, in an ancient cartulary of that monastery in the
British Museum (fn. 24) , which states it to have been situated in the
parish of Edmonton, and to have been endowed with tithes, offerings, &c. It is to be presumed, that the monastery appointed a
chaplain. In 1327, the church of Hadley was rated at 4 marks (fn. 25) .
The benefice was considered as a rectory and donative, till the act
passed for the enclosure of Enfield Chase, by which its nature was
in some measure altered, by its being put under the Bishop's jurisdiction, from which it had before been exempt. By the same act,
50 acres, being a part of the Chase allotment, was assigned to the
Rector in lieu of all tithes of the old enclosures; the whole of the
waste taken out of the Chase, as well as the Rector's glebe, being still
subject to tithes, payable to the Vicar of Enfield. When commissioners were appointed to take a survey of ecclesiastical benefices,
anno 1650, it was presented, that Hadley was a donative, in the
patronage of — Aston, Esq. that the tithes were worth about
30l. per ann. a fifth of which was allowed to the two daughters of
Elye Turner, from whom the benefice had been sequestered, and that
there was at that time no incumbent (fn. 26) . The present Rector is the
Rev. Charles Jeffries Cottrell, M. A. who succeeded Dr. Burrows in
1786. Sir Justinian Paget, anno 1678, gave a house for the incumbent, and another for the parish clerk. The patronage of the
living was annexed to the manor till the year 1786, when the advowson was purchased by William Baker, Esq.
The earliest date of the parish Register is 1619.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
Comparative state of population.
This parish appears to have decreased in population about the
middle of the last century, and to have risen to somewhat more than
its former proportion during the present. That the baptisms have
so far exceeded the burials within the last twenty years, is not to
be attributed entirely to the increased number of inhabitants, or to
the healthiness of the place, (though both have contributed to this
effect,) but must in some measure be accounted for from the following circumstance. Several houses in the parishes of South Mims
and Enfield being situated near Hadley, and at a considerable distance from their respective parish-churches, it frequently happens
that the inhabitants bring their children here to be baptized, but the
same does not take place with regard to burials, on account of the
fees. The present number of houses in Hadley is 94.
In the year 1625, there were 14 burials at Hadley; in 1665, 26;
being in the first instance less, in the other little more than the
average of those periods.
Extracts from the Register.
Sir Robert Atkyns.
" The six and twentieth day of August, in the yeare of our
Lord one thousand six hundred and forty-seven, Robert, the son
of Robert Atkyns, Esq. and Mary his wife, was baptized."
Robert Atkyns the father was afterwards created K. B. and became
Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer. He was very eminent in his
profession, a great promoter of the Revolution, and author of some
political tracts, replete with legal knowledge (fn. 27) . His first wife was
Mary, daughter of Sir George Clerke. Sir Robert Atkyns his son,
whose birth is here recorded, is well known as the Historian of
"The eleventh day of September, in the year of our Lord
1648, Lewin and Wilcocks (being twins) the sonns of Justinian
Pagitt (fn. 28) , of this parish, Esq. and of Dorcas his wife, were
"Sr Richard Treasy, buried Augst the 4th daye, 1666."
"Sr Thomas Beverly, buried March 29, 1675."
"Ld Viscount Micklewait, buried Jan. 26, 1733–4." Joseph
Micklethwaite, Esq. was Secretary to Earl Stanhope in Spain, and
was taken prisoner with him at Brihuega (fn. 29) . He was created baron
of Portarlington in 1725, and Viscount Micklethwaite in 1727.
These titles became extinct at his death.
"John Chandler, buried Dec. 22d, 1780." Elder brother of
Dr. Samuel Chandler the celebrated dissenting divine. He was an
apothecary in Cheapside, F. R. S. and author of a treatise "on the
Disease called a Cold."
"John Monro, M. D. buried Jany 4th, 1792." An eminent physician, celebrated for his successful treatment of persons afflicted
with insanity. He published some treatises on that malady, and was
engaged in a controversy with Dr. Battie.
Sir William Stamford.
Sir William Staunford, or Stamford, a learned lawyer, who became a judge of the Common Pleas, and published a book called
the Pleas of the Crown, was born at Hadley in the year 1509 (fn. 30) , and
dying Aug. 28, 1558, was there buried.
John Booker, an eminent astrologer of the last century, author
of the Bloody Irish Almanack, (anno 1630,) and some other works,
was a writing-master at Hadley (fn. 31) .
Sir Roger Wilbraham, in the year 1616, founded an alms-house
for six decayed housekeepers, and endowed it with a piece of ground
adjoining, now let at 3l. per ann. and a ground-rent (now 6l. 6s.
per ann.) in St. John's Square, London. Major Delafonte, anno
1762, augmented this endowment with an annuity of 24l. per ann.
which expires in the year 1805. To provide against this event, a
subscription was set on foot by the present Rector, and a fund is now
provided, which, with the accummulating interest, will (it is supposed) establish a permanent income equal to that which is about to
expire. It should be mentioned, that the greater part of this
fund, (viz. about 500l.) was the donation of a gentleman of the
county of Hertford, who has been long intimately connected with
the principal inhabitants of Hadley, and is well known for the
liberal support which he gives to every scheme of benevolence and
Thomas Emerson, Esq. and Jane his wife, anno 1626, gave to
the poor a cottage and garden, which produces 2l. per ann. Thomas Fletcher, anno 1664, gave a house and close, now let at 4l.
per ann. Sir Justinian Paget, on condition of being permitted to
make a vault for himself and his family in the church, gave some
tenements for the use of decayed housekeepers. These houses have
no endowment, and are kept in repair by the parish.
Andrew Hopegood, Esq. in the year 1742, gave 4l. per ann.
towards a girls school. Thomas Shewell, Esq. anno 1770, gave the
sum of 30l.; John Shewell (anno 1772) 10l.; and Mrs. Judith
Shewell, anno 1773, 10l. Old South Sea annuities, to the girls
school; the interest of which sums amounts to 2l. 11s. 7d. per ann.
With these bequests, and the additional aid of an annual subscription, twelve girls are clothed and educated. A gallery was built for
their use in the church, anno 1777, at the expence of the Reverend
David Garrow. There is a Sunday-school for 20 boys.
HAMMERSMITH. See Fulham.