In old records the name of this place is written Hese, or Heese (fn. 1) .
It is situated near the Uxbridge road, at the distance of twelve
miles from Tyburn turnpike. The parish lies in the hundred of
Elthorne, and is bounded by Norwood on the East; Northolt, or
Northall, on the North; Hillingdon on the West, and Harlington
on the South. It contains 3160 acres of land, exclusive of the
site of houses and gardens: 2150 acres are arable, 846 pasture, and
164 waste. The common-field lands (included in the above statement) are 1615 acres, about one half of which is cropped every
year. The soil on the North side of the parish is a strong clay; on
the South side loam, on a deep bed of gravel. The quota charged
to the land-tax in Hayes is 542l. 16s. 1d. which is raised at the
rate of about 2s. 7d. in the pound.
The principal hamlets in the parish of Hayes are, Botwell,
Yeading, Hayes-end, and Wood-end.
The manor of Hayes was bequeathed to the church of Canterbury by Warherdus, a priest. In his will, which bears date anno
830, he calls it his own patrimony, and describes it as containing
32 hides (fn. 2) . The survey of Doomsday says, that it was taxed at
59 hides, being then the property of Archbishop Lanfranc. The
land, continues that record, is of 40 carucates. Twelve hides are
in demesne, on which two ploughs are employed. The freeholders and villeins employ 26 ploughs, and might use 12 more.
The priest has one hide; three knights, six hides and a half; two
villeins, two hides; 12 villeins, each half a hide; 20 villeins, a
virgate each; and 40 villeins, half a virgate each: 16 bordars, two
hides jointly. There are 12 cottars, and two slaves; a mill which
produces 4s. rent, and meadow equal to one plough-land: pasture
for the cattle of the town, pannage for 400 hogs, and 3 s. rents.;
in the whole valued at 30l.; in King Edward's time at 40l. This
manor was the property of Archbishop Stigand. In the survey of
Archbishop Arundel's manors, taken when he was banished by the
parliament, that of Hayes was said to contain 120 acres of arable
land, valued at 40 s.; 18 acres of meadow, 27 s.; 180 acres of
pasture, 30 s.; 23l. 3s. 1d. rents of assize; 64 hens; 120 eggs;
profits of court 50s. (fn. 2) The manor of Hayes underwent the same
alienations as that of Harrow till the year 1613, when it was sold
by Dudley Lord North to John and Richard Page (fn. 3) , who conveyed
it the same year to John Millet, Esq. (fn. 4) , whose son aliened it, anno
1641, to Sir John Franklyn of More Park (fn. 5) . In 1677, Richard
Franklyn, Esq. conveyed it to Roger Jenyns, Esq. and others. It
continued in the family of Jenyns till aliened, anno 1729, by James
Jenyns, Esq. to Sir George Cooke, Knt. In the year 1777, it
was purchased of George Cooke, Esq. by Francis Ascough, Esq.
father of George Merrick Ascough, Esq. the present proprietor.
The same customs prevail in this manor as in that of Harrow.
Archbishop Anselm at Hayes.
The manor-house was formerly the occasional residence of the
Archbishops of Canterbury. In the year 1095, Archbishop Anselm, then at variance with William Rusus, was commanded to
remove from Mortlake, where he was keeping the seast of Whitsuntide, to his manor of Hayes, that messages might more conveniently pass between him and the King, who then kept his court
at Windsor. Most of the English bishops waited upon Anselm at
Hayes, to persuade him to submit to the King's terms, but without
effect (fn. 6) . A reconciliation soon afterwards took place, which lasted
but a short time.
Manor of Hayes-Park.
Cecily, relict of Sir Robert Grene, died anno 1481, seised of
an estate in this parish called the Manor of Hayes, held under the
Archbishop's manor (fn. 7) . This estate, in the reign of Charles I. was
the property of Rowland Reynolds, Esq. who died seised of it, anno
1640, leaving two daughters co-heirs. It is described in the inquisition of his property, as the manor of Hayes and Park-hall, and
was held of John Millet, Esq. as lord paramount, by suit of court (fn. 8) .
Hayes-Park afterwards belonged to the family of Child. It is now
in the occupation of Mr. Justice Heath, and the property of Joseph
Fraine, Esq. Captain in the Navy, whose father purchased it of John
Dod, Esq. of Swallow-field in the county of Berks.
Manor of Yeading.
The manor of Yeading, anciently Yeldinge, (i. e. Old meadow,)
formerly belonged to Walter Langton, Bishop of Litchfield and
Coventry, who had a charter of free-warren therein, anno 1307 (fn. 9) .
I have not as yet been able to learn any thing farther relating to
it (fn. 10) , than that it was purchased about the year 1736 for Benjamin
Lethieullier, Esq. M. P. the present proprietor, then an infant.
The parish-church is built, for the most part, with slints, and
consists of a chancel, nave, and two aisles. At the west end is a
square embattled tower. In the south wall of the chancel are two
stone stalls of the earliest Gothic architecture, with plain pointed
arches; a piscina, with the drain very perfect; and another small
recess, which was a closet, perhaps, for holding the chrism and
sacramental elements. Some of the windows in the chancel are of
the architecture which prevailed in the fourteenth century, others
are lancet-shaped, with brackets of various forms; some of which
are represented in the annexed plate, together with the font, which
is of a very singular form, and stands within a pew at the west end
of the church. The aisles are separated from the nave by octagonal
pillars, and pointed arches. The north aisle appears to have been
built in the fourteenth, or early in the fifteenth century. The south
aisle has a flat roof, and windows with obtuse arches. It is probable that it was built about the year 1500, and that the nave was
repaired and new-roofed at the same time, the cognizances of
England and Arragon being carved on the joints of the fretwork
with which it is ornamented. On others are emblems of the crucifixion, and devices of various sorts.
Arms in the chancel window.
Font and brackets in Hayes church
In the east window of the chancel are the arms of Talbot, with
quarterings (fn. 11) ; Somerset (fn. 12) ; Lovell quartering Muswell (fn. 13) , and those
of the sees of Glocester and London. In the south window are the
arms of Younge (fn. 14) . Over the communion-table is a good picture
(somewhat damaged,) of the adoration of the shepherds. It was
given to the parish, anno 1726, by James Jenyns, Esq. lord of
the manor. On the north wall is a handsome monument of veined
marble to the memory of Sir Edward Fenner (fn. 15) , Judge of the King's
Bench, whose effigies, as large as the life, in his robes, lies under an
arch, ornamented with roses, within a Mosaic pattern. Sir Edward
Fenner, who died anno 1611, was son of John Fenner of Crawley in Sussex, by his wife Eleanor, daughter of Sir William
Goring. Near Sir Edward Fenner's monument is another with the
same arms; the inscription has been removed. I suppose it to be
that of Edward Fenner, Esq. son of Sir Edward, who survived
him only three years, and was buried at Hayes. Under an arch is
an upright half-length effigies of the deceased in armour, with a ruff
and whiskers; a truncheon in one hand, the other rests on his helmet. On the same wall is the monument of Dorothy, wife of John
Jenyns, Esq. (fn. 16) , daughter of William Bromley of Holt-castle, and
relict of Cloberry, eldest son of the Right Hon. William Bromley
of Bagington, 1720; and on the south wall that of Sir George
Cooke, Knt. (fn. 17) , lord of the manor, and Chief Prothonotary of the
Common Pleas, 1741. In the high chancel are the tombs of Roger
Jenyns, Esq. lord of the manor, 1693; Thomas Jenyns, B.A. of
Clare-hall, 1696; John Jenyns, son of John Jenyns, Esq. (both
lords of the manor,) 1724; and a brass plate to the memory of
Robert Lellee, formerly rector of the parish, the date gone. In the
lower chancel are the tombs of Robert Burgeys, Rector of Hayes,
1421; and Henry Clerke, Esq. 1609 (each with a brass plate);
Richard Lugg, Gent. son of George Lugg of the county of Devon,
1697; John Cox, M. A. Vicar, 1712; Mr. Richard Blanchard,
1717; and Thomas Vivian, Clerk in Chancery, 1721. He was
son of John Vivian of Oundle in Northamptonshire, and descended
from the Vivians of Cornwall. His wife was Anne, daughter of
William Hyde, Esq. of Langtost in the county of Lincoln.
Against the wall of the south aisle is a table-tomb, (on which
are figures in brass of the deceased, with his wife and children,)
to the memory of Thomas Highgate, Esq. (fn. 17) , Justice of Peace,
who died in 1576. On the wall is the monument of John
Jenyns (fn. 18) , Esq. M. P. for the county of Cambridge, 1716. On
the floor are the tombs of Anne Edenbras, 1676; and Vere
Jenyns, 1644. She was daughter of Sir James Palmer of Dornye,
(Bucks,) and wife of Thomas Jenyns, Esq. of Hayes, second son
of Sir John Jenyns of Churchill in the county of Somerset, by an
heiress of Bulbeck.
At the east end of the north aisle, against the north wall, is a
table-tomb to the memory of Walter Grene, Esq. (fn. 19) , who died
anno 14—: on the top is a figure of the deceased in armour,
with a griffin at his feet. I suppose the east end of this aisle to
have been a chapel founded by Walter Grene, whose family were
proprietors of Hayes-Park, to which estate this part of the aisle still
belongs. On the north wall are the monuments of Richard Briginshaw, Esq. (fn. 20) , 1661; William Perris, Esq. (fn. 21) , (who married Mary,
daughter and heir of Richard Briginshaw,) 1720; Thomas Blen
cowe, Esq. (fn. 22) (son of Sir John Blencowe, Justice of the Common
Pleas,) who married an heir of Perris, 1765; and John Fisher,
Esq. (fn. 23) , who married an heir of Robert Child, Esq. of Hayes-park,
1679. On the east wall is a tablet to the memory of the Rev.
Anthony Hinton, Vicar, who died in 1792; and on the floor at
the west end the tomb of the Rev. James Baker, Rector and Vicar,
who died in 1738.
In the nave are the tombs of Anne, daughter of Alan Hendre
and Anne Millet, 1605; Thomas Paltock, Gent. 1670; the Rev.
Samuel Spence, Rector, 1730; Roger Tocketts, Surgeon and
citizen of London, 1733. One of the hatchments in the church is
inscribed to the memory of Jane, wife of Richard Harland (fn. 24) and
daughter of John Jenyns, Esq. who died in 1728.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of William Duncker, Gent.
(1685); Robert Maybank, Gent. (1736); Mr. John Hope (1767);
John Kendrick, aged 92 (1770); Hannah, wife of Sir George
Booth, Bart. and daughter of Henry Turner of Botwell in the parish
of Hayes (1784); and Mrs. Hannah Bailey, aged 92 (1789).
Rectory and vicarage.
The church of Hayes, which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary,
has a rectory and a vicarage. The patronage of the former (which
is now a sinecure,) was annexed to the manor till Mr. Ascough's
purchase in 1777, when the advowson remained in the hands of
Mr. Cooke, and is now the property of Charles Molloy, Esq. The
benefice is of small value to the incumbent, it having been long
customary for the Rector, immediately upon his presentation, to
grant the patron a beneficial lease of the great tithes, glebe, &c.
for three lives. By virtue of this lease the patron of the rectory
presents to the vicarage also. It was reported to the commissioners
appointed to inquire into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, anno
1650, that Hayes was a parsonage and vicarage, to both of which
belonged a cure of souls. The parsonage, with 95 acres of glebe,
a house, &c. was valued at 640l. per ann. and had been leased by
Patrick Young to Thomas Jenyns, Esq. at the reserved rent of
66l. 13 s. 4d. (fn. 24) The parsonage of Hayes was vested for a considerable time in the Earls of Pembroke, in consequence of a grant from
the Archbishops of Canterbury (fn. 25) .
Endowment of the vicarage.
The vicarage was endowed by William Warham the Rector, in
1520, with an annual stipend of 20l. (fn. 26) , then, perhaps, a competent provision, but now, by the great alteration in the value of
money, a very inadequate one.
Robert Wright, Rector.
Robert Wright, presented to the rectory of Hayes in 1601, was
the first warden of Wadham College in Oxford, which situation he
resigned because Dorothy Wadham would not suffer him to marry.
He vacated this rectory in 1623, on his promotion to the bishopric
of Bristol, whence he was afterwards translated to Litchfield and
Coventry. In 1641, he was committed to the Tower, with nine
other bishops, and remained in confinement 18 weeks. Being
released he repaired to Eccleshall-castle, the seat of his see, then a
garrison for the King, and died there whilst it was besieged by Sir
William Brereton (fn. 27) .
Henry Gold, Vicar.
Henry Gold, presented to the vicarage of Hayes in 1529, was
an accomplice of Elizabeth Barton, the holy maid of Kent, and
suffered death at Tyburn, anno 1534 (fn. 28) .
The present Rector is the Rev. William Williams; the Vicar,
John Neville Freeman, A. M.
Comparative state of population.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1557.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses is 141; of inhabitants, 707,
exclusive of 100 boys and 100 girls at two eminent boardingschools (fn. 29) .
In the year 1603, there were 24 burials at Hayes; in 1625, the
same number; in 1638, 42; in 1665, eight only are entered, but
the register appears not to have been kept very accurately about
Extracts from the Register.
Sir Edward Fenner.
"SrEdward Fenner, Knt. one of his Majesties Justices of his
Bench, was buried the 24th daye of Januarye, and his funerals
performed the 19 of Februarye 1611–2."
"The Lady Verney's coachman buried Oct. 19, 1625."
"John Latch, Esq. a Counsellor, was buried the 28th day of
August 1655." Author of a volume of Reports.
Sir George Cooke.
"Lady Ann Cooke, wife of Sr George Cooke, Knt. buried
Mar. 10, 1736.—Sr George Cooke, Knt. from London,
Nov. 14, 1740."
Instances of longevity.
"Mary Kent, aged 103, buried Decr 30, 1759."
"Barbara Pierce, aged 93, buried Jan. 3, 1761."
Lady Dacre's alms-houses.
This parish has the same interest as that of Chelsea (fn. 30) , in the hos.
pital founded by Lady Dacre in Westminster.
Roger Lea, in 1661, gave 10 s. per ann. to the poor of this
parish. Thomas Triplet, D. D. by his indenture, bearing date
1668, gave 15l. per ann. out of an estate in Suffolk, for apprenticing poor children. Robert Cromwell, by his will, bearing date
1720, gave lands worth about 61. per ann. to buy gowns for six