Name and etymology.
In the survey of Doomsday, this place is called Gistelworde, in
subsequent ancient records for some centuries, uniformly Istelworth; and afterwards occasionally Istleworth. About Queen Elizabeth's time, it was commonly in conversation, and sometimes in
records, called Thistleworth, which name was much in use in the
early part of the present century, and is now not wholly disused.
In parochial and other writings, however, it has been uniformly
spelt Isleworth for more than a century; the pronunciation is very
various. Skinner's derivation of Islington, from Gisel a hostage, and
tun a town, might more justly, with the alteration of tun for worth
a village, be applied to this place; for it does not appear that Islington in any ancient record is called Giselton, or Gistelton, but Isendune. As to the real fact in either place, there is nothing recorded
in history to justify the conjecture. The most general idea of its
derivation has been suggested by the modern name Isle-worth, but I
think that the constant usage of Istelworth for so many centuries leads
one to seek for some other etymology, though perhaps it might be
difficult to find one which would be entirely satisfactory.
Situation, boundaries, extent, &c.
The village of Isleworth is situated in the banks of the Thames,
at the distance of eight miles and a half from Hyde-Park-corner. It
lies within the hundred, to which it gives name. The parish is
bounded on the south by the river Thames; on the east, north, and
west, principally by Brentford, Heston (fn. 1) , Twickenham, and Feltham.
It touches also in some parts (upon Hounslow-heath) Bedfont, and
Hanworth. It is about four miles and one-half in length, two onehalf in breadth, fifteen in circumference, and contains, according to
Glover's survey taken in 1635, 2377 acres of land; of which, in his
time, 910 were arable, 930 pasture, 43 wood, and 494 (of which 437
were part of Hounslow-heath) waste. There are now 14 acres occupied by nurserymen, and about 430 by market gardeners. The latter
cultivate their ground mostly for fruit. Some of the gardeners raise
great quantities of raspberries, which are sold principally to the distillers, and conveyed to town in swing carts, but fruit for the table is
carried in head-loads by women, who come principally from Shropshire, and the neighbourhood of Kingsdown in Wiltshire. The fruit
is gathered very early in the morning, 12 women being employed
to gather a load, which is 12 gallons, (of three pints each,) the pay
for gathering is a penny halfpenny per gallon. One of the gatherers
carries the load to Covent Garden market (a distance of about 10
miles), for which she has 3s. 6d. It is needless to say that they
perform but one journey in the day, the Hammersmith women perform three, and receive 8d. for each journey, over and above their
day's work. At Kensington they are paid sixpence, and frequently
go four times in the day. These women usually go at the rate of
about five miles an hour.
Soil, and land-tax.
The soil at Isleworth is various, sand, gravel, and a rich loam.
The parish pays the sum of 880l. 7s. 10½d. to the land-tax, which
in 1794 was at the rate of 1s. 4d. in the pound.
The small river Crane, which rises in the neighbourhood of Harrow, falls into the Thames at this place, having been augmented by
an artificial cut from the Colne, made formerly by the abbess and
convent of Sion, for the convenience of their water-mills.
The Barons army at Isleworth.
In the year 1263, Simon de Montfort and the Barons pitched
their tents in Isleworth park (fn. 2) . The year following, the palace of
the King of the Romans was burnt by the citizens of London (fn. 3) .
General Fairfax's head-quarters were at Isleworth, on the 3d and
4th of August 1647 (fn. 4) . On the 4th he received there the parliamentary commissioners, to whom "his excellency and the council
of war propounded a way that the parliament might be secure
from force and violence; and fears and jealousies be removed between the city and the army (fn. 5) ."
Monastery of Sion first founded in the parish of Twickenham.
King Henry the Fifth, in the year 1414, founded, within his
manor of Isleworth, a convent of Bridgetines, giving it the name
of Sion (fn. 6) . The original site was in the parish of Twickenham, most
probably in the meadows belonging to Lord Frederick Cavendish,
formerly called Istleworth, or Twickenham park. The dimensions
of the premises on which the convent stood, are thus stated in an
ancient record (fn. 7) : The length, towards the river, 2820 feet; towards
Twickenham field, 1938 feet; the breadth on one side was 980, on
the other 960 feet. Some alien monks are said to have been settled
on the same spot (fn. 8) , but there does not seem good ground for such a
supposition. If it had been so, no doubt it would have been mentioned in the charter. On the contrary, in the record just quoted,
the convent is spoken of as newly built by the King's command, and
the value of the land appropriated out of the royal demesnes, for
the site, is there valued at 33s. 4d. per annum.
Removed to Isleworth.
In the year 1432, being 18 years after the foundation of the monastery, Henry VI. granted permission to the abbess and convent
of Sion to remove to a more spacious edifice which they had built
upon their demesnes within the parish of Isleworth (fn. 9) . The convent
of Sion was dedicated to our Saviour, the Virgin Mary, and St.
Bridget, and consisted, according to the rules of that saint, of 60 nuns,
including the abbess, 13 priests, four deacons, and eight lay brethren,
making in the whole the number of the apostles, and 72 disciples
of Christ. It is to be observed, that it was only in convents of
Bridgetines that monks and nuns were permitted to live under the
same roof. The nuns' cloister was separated, however, from that
in which the monks resided. It is probable, nevertheless, that they
had readier means of communication than those subterraneous passages, which by absurd traditions are supposed to have connected
neighbouring and sometimes distant monasteries; for the report of
Lord Cromwell's agents on the eve of the Reformation, was particularly unfavourable to the chastity of the nuns of Sion (fn. 10) . The first
abbess of Sion was Matilda Newton; the first confessor, being one of
the 13 priests, William Alnewick. King Henry's charter incorporates the monastery by the name of the Abbess and Convent of St.
Saviour and St. Bridget, of the order of St. Augustine, whose rules
St. Bridget observed, with the addition of some of her own institution.
King Henry granted the convent an annuity of 1000 marks out
of the Exchequer, till such time as they should be provided with
other revenues. In the last year of his reign he procured an act of
parliament, by which he was enabled to separate the manor of Isleworth from the Duchy of Cornwall (fn. 11) , and give it to this monastery.
The endowments bestowed upon it by his successors were very ample.
A reference to the various grants is given in the note (fn. 12) . The reve
nues of the convent, according to Dugdale, amounted at the time
of its dissolution to 1731l. 8s. 4¾d. per annum (fn. 13) .
Richard Whitford, a monk of Sion, was author of various devotional works, among which were "the Martiloge, as read in Sion,
1526; a Daily Exercise and Experience of Death, by the old
Wretch of Sion. R. W. 1532; a Dialogue between the Curate and
Parishioner, for a due preparation unto the Howselynge, 1537;
a Treatise of Patience, 1541, &c (fn. 12) ."
Suppression of the monastery.
Katherine Howard, a prisoner at Sion.
Funeral of Henry VIII.
Grants of Sion to the Duke of Somerset, &c.
Restoration of the monastery by Queen Mary.
Sir Francis Knolles, keeper.
Court of Exchequer held at Sion.
Thomas Stanley, the second Earl of Derby, was buried in the
monastery of Sion, anno 1521 (fn. 13) , a few years before its dissolution,
which happened in 1532, it being one of the first of the larger monasteries that was suppressed, the convent having been accused of
harbouring the King's enemies, and being accomplices with the
maid of Kent (fn. 14) . John Gates, Esq. was appointed keeper of the
conventual house (fn. 15) , which continued in the King's hands during
the remainder of his reign. In the year 1541 it was made a prison
for the unfortunate Katherine Howard, who was confined there
from the 14th of November till the 10th of February following, being three days before her execution. She was kept very strict, but
served as Queen (fn. 16) . The corpse of King Henry VIII., whose funeral procession is said to have exceeded in magnificence any ever
seen in England before or since, was rested a night at Sion on its
way to Windsor (fn. 17) . King Edward VI. in the first year of his reign,
granted the monastery of Sion, with all its appurtenances, to Edward Duke of Somerset, the Lord Protector (fn. 18) , who had before
rented some premises at Isleworth under the convent (fn. 19) . The Duke
built on or near the site a noble mansion, the shell of which, though
it has undergone various alterations, still remains. He had a botanical garden there, which is spoken of by Dr. Turner (fn. 20) , (author of
the Herbal,) who was his physician. After the Duke's attainder, Sionhouse reverted to the crown, and Sir Thomas Worth was made the
keeper (fn. 21) . In 1553, the King granted it to John Duke of Northumberland (fn. 22) , who was beheaded in the first year of Queen Mary, and his
estates became forfeited to the crown. The Queen made Sir Henry
Sidney keeper of the park and woods (fn. 23) . The house she kept in her
own hands till 1557, when she restored the convent of Sion, endowing it with the manor and demesnes of Isleworth (fn. 24) . Fuller, speaking of this monastery, says, "this with the former (Sheen) cut two
great collops out of the crown lands, though far short this second
endowment of what formerly they possessed. It was some difficulty
to stock it with such who had been veil'd before, it being now
thirty years since the dissolution, in which time most of the elder
nuns were in their graves, and the younger in the arms of their
husbands, as afterwards embracing a married life. However, with
much adoe (joining some new ones with the old), they made up
"a competent number (fn. 25) ." The new monastery was soon afterwards dissolved by Queen Elizabeth. Clementia Thresham, the
abbess, died at Royston in Northamptonshire (fn. 26) . Margaret Dely,
one of the nuns, was buried at Isleworth in 1561, but the greater
part of the convent emigrated to the continent, with such of their
treasure as was portable; and after wandering about a considerable
time without any permanent abode, established themselves at Lisbon;
where, in Fuller's time, the convent existed, and had acquired such
endowments, that they were said to lay up yearly 600l. (fn. 27) Queen
Elizabeth, in the year 1560, made Sir Francis Knolles keeper of
Sion-house for life (fn. 28) , the reversion of which place she afterwards
granted to his son Robert (fn. 29) . In 1563 the sickness then raging, the
Marquis of Winchester (Lord Treasurer) went to survey Sion-house,
it being intended that the court of Exchequer should be held there.
In a letter to Sir William Cecil, (secretary of state,) dated Sept. 23,
he reports, that there was room for the whole court with all their
attendants. The Lord Treasurer, the under treasurer, and chancellor, were to have two chambers and a gallery between them to
consult in; the chamber of presence for their dining, and the great
chamber for their servants (fn. 30) .
Grant to the Earl of Northumberland.
Imprisonment of the Earl.
His improvements at Sion.
Repairs and alterations in 1659.
Children of Charles I. at Sion.
In the year 1604, Sion-house and the manor of Isleworth were
granted to Henry Earl of Northumberland (fn. 31) , in whom were already
vested the various leases made by Queen Elizabeth of the demesne
lands (fn. 32) . This Earl was treated with uncommon rigour by the
court of Star-chamber, for what at most amounted but to a presumption of his being privy to the gunpowder plot. He endured,
nevertheless, a tedious confinement of fifteen years in the Tower,
and was obliged to pay a fine of 30,000l. In a letter which he
wrote to James I. from the Tower, dated April 14, 1613, after representing the difficulties under which he laboured as to the payment of his fine, he offers the King Sion-house, with the manor of
Isleworth, as the only property which he could alienate, his other
estates being entailed. In estimating the value of Sion, he states, that
he had laid out 9000l. upon the house and gardens; "the house it"self," says he, "if it were to be pulled down and sold by view of
workmen, would come to 8000l. If any man, the best husband
in building, should raise such another in the same place, 20,000l.
would not do it (fn. 33) ." His Majesty, it seems, did not accept the
offer, nor was the Earl released till 1621 (fn. 34) . Notwithstanding the
sums of money expended by him on Sion-house, it appears to have
undergone a thorough repair, and to have been considerably altered
by his successor (under the direction, as it is said, of Inigo Jones) in
1659, which date is on all the leaden pipes. On the 27th of August
1646, the House of Commons agreed that the Earl of Northumberland, (Algernon,) to whose care the King's children had been entrusted, might remove them to Sion-house, on account of the infection then spreading (fn. 35) . They were removed there on the same
account the following year, and remained at Sion whilst the King
was at Hampton Court (fn. 36) . At this time the Earl of Northumberland, with a feeling that does him honour, obtained permission from
the parliament to indulge his Majesty with the company of his children as often as he (the Earl) thought proper; in consequence of
which permission, they were sometimes sent for to Hampton-court,
and at other times the King visited them at Sion (fn. 37) . The Duke of
York was then about 14 years of age, the Princess Elizabeth 12, and
the Duke of Gloucester seven.
In the parish books at Isleworth, I find the two following entries
in the church-wardens' accounts for 1649–51.
|"Paid to the late King's servants,
|"Recd of the Earl of Mulgrave when he lay at Sion "house."
Queen Anne at Sion.
Charles Duke of Somerset, who had Sion-house in right of his
wife Elizabeth, sole heir of Joceline Earl of Northumberland, lent it
at her Highness's desire to Queen Anne, (then Princess of Denmark,)
who resided there some time (fn. 38) . Sion-house is now the seat of his
Grace Hugh Duke of Northumberland, great grandson of Charles
Duke of Somerset and Lady Elizabeth Percy.
Description of Sionhouse, and the improvements by the late Duke.
This noble mansion, which occupies a large quadrangle, was altered and fitted up at a great expence by the late Duke. The great
hall, paved with black and white marble, is 66 feet by 31, and
34 in height. It contains some antique statues, and a cast of the
dying gladiator, by Valadier. Adjoining to the hall is a most magnificent vestibule, furnished with 12 columns of the Ionic order, and
16 pilasters of verd antique, purchased at an immense expence, being
a greater quantity of that valuable species of marble, than is now to
be found perhaps in any building in Europe. The mosaic work,
of which the tables in the drawing-room are composed, was found
in Titus's Baths, and purchased for the Duke out of the Abbe Furietti's collection at Rome. The library, which extends through the
east side of the quadrangle, is 130½ feet by 14. The whole house
is fitted up in a style in every respect suitable to the rank and opulence of the noble owner. The elegant façade near the high road,
and the improvements of the house, were designed by Adam. The
gardens, which are very beautiful, and stored with a great many
curious exotics, were laid out principally by Brown.
Chapel and guild of All Angels at Brentfordend.
John Somerset, Chancellor of the Exchequer to Henry VI. founded
a chapel at Brentford-end, in the parish of Isleworth, in honour of
the nine orders of holy angels. The King laid the first stone of the
building, and granted the ground on which it stood. The preamble
of the charter states, that no chapel had ever before been founded
in honour of all the holy angels; that John Somerset had lately
built such a chapel on a piece of ground belonging to the King,
220 feet in length, and 40 in breadth, lying in the old highway, at
the east end of a wooden bridge, called New Brentford-bridge (fn. 39) , being bounded on the north by the highway near the new stone bridge
leading to Hounslow, and on the south by a parcel of land belonging to the said John Somerset. On a spot contiguous to the chapel,
being the founder's own land, (held under the crown,) he built a hospital for nine poor men, who formed a guild incorporated by King
Henry VI. with licence to possess land in mortmain, use a common seal,
&c. (fn. 40) Hugh Denys, citizen of London, by his will bearing date 1508,
left his estates to the prior and convent of Sheen, charged with certain payments for the purpose of augmenting this institution, by the
addition of seven poor men, and to found a chantry in the chapel
for two priests. The prior and convent of Sheen, by their indenture (fn. 41) , bearing date 1530, made over these estates to the abbess and
convent of Sion. It appears by this deed, that the priests were obliged to reside upon the spot, and not allowed to hold any other be
nefice; their salary was nine marks per annum each, and fuel; the
poor men had 7½d. a week, fuel, and a gown, price 4s. The chaplains were to pray for the souls of Henry VIII. Hugh Denys, and
John Somerset the original founder of the chapel.
Various possessors of the site.
Edward VI. in the year 1547, granted the site of All Angels
chapel, with its appurtenances (fn. 42) , to Edward Duke of Somerset (fn. 43) ,
on whose attainder it reverted to the crown. Queen Mary granted
the said site (with the bedehouses
(fn. 44) adjoining) to the newly-restored
convent of Sion (fn. 45) . Queen Elizabeth, in whom it became vested, by
the second dissolution of that monastery, leased it to Richard Burton (fn. 46) .
In 1610, the same premises were granted to George and Thomas
Whitmore (fn. 47) , who sold them the next year to Henry Prince of
Wales (fn. 48) . In 1638, they were granted by Charles the First to Edward Ditchfield and others, trustees for the city of London (fn. 49) , who
in 1639 aliened them to Sir Richard Wynne (fn. 50) . From him they
descended to the Ancaster family, and were sold in the early part of
this century to various persons. The immediate site of the chapel,
as is supposed, and some adjoining houses, came to one Philip
Godard, who dying in 1762, bequeathed them to his nephew
Thomas Huggins, and Elizabeth his wife, for the term of their lives,
afterwards to remain to the use of the charity-school of this parish
for ever. Elizabeth Huggins, the survivor, died in the course of this
year (1794), but the bequest being contrary to the statute of mortmain, it becomes null and void.
Sir William Noy.
Sir Richard Wynne, &c.
There were no vestiges of All Angels-chapel remaining when
Moses Glover made his survey in 1635. A mansion, on or very
near the site, was the residence of Sir William Noy, King Charles's
attorney-general, who lies buried at Brentford. The same house
had been the residence of Thomas Viscount Savage (fn. 51) , and is called
"the Sprotts," in ancient records. Sir Richard Wynne (fn. 52) resided
in a house near the façade, which leads to Sion, now the property
and residence of Sir Nathaniel Duckenfield, Bart. (fn. 53) Sir Francis
Darcy (Sir Richard Wynne's father-in-law) lived in an adjoining
house (fn. 54) .
Manor of Isleworth.
The manor of Gistelworde (Isleworth) was held at the time of
the Conqueror's survey by Walter de St. Waleric. It is taxed, says
that record, at 70 hides. The land is 55 carucates; six hides and
a half are in demesne, on which are fix ploughs. Among the
freemen and villans are 28 ploughs, and eleven more might be employed. The priest has three virgates of land, 51 villans a virgate
each, 24 villans half a virgate each, 18 others the same quantity,
and there are fix cottars. A foreigner and a certain Englishman have
four hides of land, and they are approved knights. Under them are
12 villans and bordars, and there are six villans who hold two hides
and half a virgate under the lord. There are two mills of 6s. rent,
meadow equal to 20 plough-lands; pasture for the cattle of the
town; one stream and a moiety of another, yielding 12s. 8d.;
pannage for 500 hogs; herbage 12d.: in the whole valued at 72l.
in King Edward's time at 80l. This manor, adds the record, was
the property of Earl Algar.
Manor-place of the King of the Romans burnt by the citizens of London.
Hundred and manor co-extensive.
Custom of the Dyseyne.
In the reign of Henry the Third, the manor of Isleworth being vested
in the crown (fn. 56) , was granted to the King's brother, Richard Earl of Cornwall, and King of the Romans. In the year 1264, Sir Hugh Spencer,
with a great multitude of the citizens of London, went to Isleworth,
where "they spoiled the manor place (fn. 57) of the King of the Romans,
"and destroyed his water-mylnes, and other commodities that he
there had (fn. 58) ." For this outrage, when King Henry had suppressed the rebellion of his Barons, they were obliged to pay the sum
of 1000 marks, as a reparation. After the death of Edmund Earl of
Cornwall, son of the King of Romans, this manor became vested in
King Edward I. as his next heir, and was assigned anno 1301 to Margaret Countess of Cornwall, as a part of her dower. It was settled
by Edward III. on his Queen Philippa, and after her death was annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall (fn. 59) . Richard the Second gave it for
life to his consort Anne (fn. 60) . Henry the Fifth being desirous of fettling it on his newly-founded convent of Sion, procured an act of
parliament, by which he was enabled to separate it from the Duchy
of Cornwall, to which other manors were assigned in exchange (fn. 61) .
It remained in the crown after the suppression of monasteries, till it
was granted by King James, in 1604, to Henry Earl of Northumberland (fn. 62) , from whom it descended to the present Duke. King
James's grant was subject to a fee-farm rent of 99l. 2s. per
annum, which was purchased of the crown by Charles Duke
of Somerset (fn. 63) , and given by him to the Earl of Egremont. This
rent is now the property of Theodore Broadhead, Esq. It must be
observed, that the description of this manor in Doomsday includes
Heston and Twickenham, which accounts for its large extent, 70
hides, nearly corresponding with Glover's survey which makes the
three parishes contain about 6880 acres, from which deducting 1874
acres of waste, there will remain 5006 acres of cultivated land, not
very widely differing from the 55 carucates in Doomsday. Heston
and Twickenham are mentioned in the inquisition taken after the
Earl of Cornwall's death, as hamlets within the manor of Isleworth.
Hamlet here means the same, I suppose, as Berewicus in ancient records, a subordinate manor held under the lord paramount, for it
is certain that both Heston and Twickenham had parish churches at
that period. It was reported by the jurors at an inquisition taken
in 1390, that the manor and hundred of Isleworth had always been
esteemed of the same extent (fn. 64) . Edmund Earl of Cornwall granted
to the Knights Templars a right of common pasture in this hundred
from Cranford to Twickenham. This grant was confirmed by Edward I. (fn. 65) In the year 1293, the same Earl claimed assize of bread
and beer, gallows, and freewarren in his manor of Isleworth; the
prior of St. Waleric claimed the assize of bread and beer for his tenants in Isleworth, and the master of the hospital of St. Giles the
same privilege for his tenants in Isleworth and Heston, as belonging
to his church of Isleworth (fn. 66) . An ancient custom prevailed in this
manor, that the tenants should pay to the lord a certain sum of money,
amounting to eight marks, called the Dyseyne, over and above the
customary rents. This sum was raised by a tax levied in an equal
proportion upon all the male inhabitants of 15 years of age and upwards (fn. 67) . In the parish chest at Twickenham is a small illuminated deed
of the abbess and convent of Sion, (with their seal annexed,) bearing
date 22 Henry VI., whereby they discharge their tenants in the
manor of Isleworth, of a certain annual tribute or payment of 20l.
In the year 1656 certain articles relating to the customs and privileges of the manor of Isleworth were agreed on between Algernon
Earl of Northumberland and the principal copyholders. They were
printed the ensuing year in the form of a pamphlet, entitled, "Isleworth-Sion's Peace." Lands in this manor descend according to
the strict custom of Borough-English.
Manor of Worton, or Eyston's.
In the year 1375, William Eyston of Isleworth granted to the
King a messuage called Worton, and 93 acres of land thereunto belonging (fn. 68) . This estate, being called the Manor of Worton, was
granted for life by Edward III. to Alice the widow of Edmund
Fauconer, and by Henry IV. to William Loveney for his life.
Henry VI. gave it to the monastery of Sion (fn. 69) . In some records it
is called also the Manor of Eystons. It is now the property of the
Duke of Northumberland.
Manor of Wyke.
In the year 1508, Hugh Denys, citizen of London, bequeathed
the manor of Wyke (fn. 70) , which he had purchased of Robert Cheese
man, to the Carthusian priory of Sheen, charged with certain payments to the chapel of All Angels, founded by John Somerset in
the reign of Henry VI. (fn. 71) The prior and convent of Sheen, by
their indenture, bearing date 1530, conveyed it to the abbess and
convent of Sion (fn. 72) , whose property it was at the dissolution of monasteries, when Henry VIII. granted it to the Marquis of Exeter (fn. 73) ,
on whose attainder it reverted to the crown, and was given by Edward VI. to the Duke of Somerset (fn. 74) . After the Duke's attainder it remained in the crown till 1557, when it was granted by Queen Mary
to Augustine Thaier and Alexander Chesenall, and the heirs of the
former, to be held in fealty by free soccage, discharged of all corrodies,
pensions, and payments whatsoever, except a rent of 15l. 10s. 8d.
reserved, by that grant, to the crown (fn. 75) . It afterwards came by purchase, as I suppose, to Sir Thomas Gresham, who died seised of it
anno 1580 (fn. 76) . After his death it passed in the same manner as
Heston and Osterley (fn. 77) , to the coheirs of Sir Michael Stanhope, of
whom it was purchased in 1638 by Sir William Washington (fn. 78) , who
mortgaged it in 1640 to Sir Edward Spencer and Sir Richard Wynne.
It remained in the possession of Sir Richard Wynne, who had before
purchased the site of All Angels chapel, of Edward Ditchfield and
others. Sir Richard Wynne died in 1649; his widow in 1669.
Maurice Wynne, Esq. his brother, by his will, bearing date 1670,
bequeaths the manor of Wyke to his brother Henry, and to Dame
Grace Wynne, relict of Sir Owen Wynne (his brother also) and
their heirs. Mary, daughter of Lady Wynne, was married in 1678
to Robert Lord Willoughby de Eresby, afterwards Duke of Ancaster,
whose son Peregrine, the succeeding Duke, sold this manor in 1724
to Joshua Fletcher. In 1731 it came to John Jacob, and was fold
by the trustees under his will, anno 1755, to Peter Storer, Esq.
whose daughter Martha married William Baker, Esq. In 1778 it
was purchased of their son Peter William Baker, Esq. by John Robinson, Esq. M. P. the present proprietor, who resides upon the
estate in a handsome villa, modernised and improved since his purchase of the manor. The ancient manor-house stood, it is most
probable, within the moated site adjoining to Mr. Robinson's farm.
Duke of Marlborough's, at Sionhill.
Sion-hill, a seat of his Grace the Duke of Marlborough, was
built by the late Earl of Holdernesse. The Duke, who has cultivated with much success the science of astronomy, has a small observatory at this place, which he is about to enlarge and improve
for the reception of an altitude and azimuth instrument, to be constructed by Ramsden.
Calvert Lord Baltimore.
The Duke of Shrewsbury.
Earl of Bath.
George Calvert, Lord Baltimore, secretary of state to James the
First, and a noble author (fn. 79) , had a country-seat at Isleworth. Lord
Strafford, writing to him on the 12th of October 1624, says, he
takes it for granted that he has quitted Isleworth at that season of the
year, and is gone to town (fn. 80) . Charles Talbot, Duke of Shrewsbury,
a conspicuous character during the reigns of King William and
Queen Anne, had a house at Isleworth, which had formerly been
the residence of Sir Thomas Ingram, chancellor of the Duchy of
Lancaster. The Duke was at one time Lord Chamberlain of the
household, Lord High Treasurer of England, and Lord Lieutenant
of Ireland, three great offices never before united in the same person. He died at Isleworth in 1718. His house there, so finely
furnished, says Collins, he left to his heirs (fn. 81) . It is the property of
the present Earl of Shrewsbury, and is occupied as a boys' school for
children of the Roman Catholic persuasion. The Earl of Bath, a
distinguished political character in the last reign, resided at Isleworth,
in a house on the north side of the road, leading from Twickenham
to London. It is called Gumley-house, having been built by John
Gumley, Esq. the Countess of Bath's father. It was lately the property of General Lake, and now belongs to Mr. Angell. On the
same side of the road stood Kendall-house, so called from the Duchess
of Kendall, mistress to George I., who resided there. After her
death, it was opened as a public breakfasting-house, and was frequently advertised as such in the years 1750 and 1751 (fn. 82) . Kendallhouse stood where are now the stables of David Godfrey, Esq. who
has a handsome villa fronting the Hounslow road, built at a great
expence by Mr. Lewis Chauvett. The house, called Silver-hall,
(now a school,) on the south side of the Twickenham road, was
built by John Smith, Esq. who was created a Baronet in 1694. His
arms are over the piers of the gate (fn. 83) . After Sir John Smith's death,
it was in the occupation of Lady Harcourt, widow of the chancellor.
It was afterwards the property of Mrs. Oliver, (whose maiden name
was Silver,) mother of Silver Oliver, Esq. This circumstance, it
seems, gave the house its present name; had I not been informed of
it, I might have ascribed it perhaps to a different cause; for on or
near the same spot is described in Glover's old map a house, where
resides (says he in a note) "Mr. John Broad the famous metallist."
The house by the waterside, which is now the property of the Hon.
Mrs. Keppel, and in the occupation of the Earl of Warwick, was
built by James Lacey, Esq. patentee of Drury Lane theatre.
Samuel Clark. F. Willis. Mrs. Middleton.
Among the eminent inhabitants of Isleworth may be enumerated
Samuel Clark, a biographer of the last century, who died at this
place in 1682 (fn. 84) ; Francis Willis, a grammarian and author of a
Dictionary (fn. 85) , and Mrs. Middleton, frequently mentioned in the Memoirs de Grammont.
The church, which stands near the waterside, is dedicated to
All Saints, and consists of a nave, chancel, and two aisles. At the
west end is an ancient stone tower of Gothic architecture, which is
overgrown with ivy on the north, west, and south sides. The rest
of the structure is of brick, and was rebuilt in the years 1705 and
1706 (fn. 86) .
Monument of Mrs. Tolson.
On the south side of the chancel is a very handsome marble monument (by Halfpenny) to the memory of Mrs. Anne Dash, better
known by the name of Tolson, a great benefactress to the parish.
Her history, as recorded in her epitaph, is very singular. She was
daughter of George Newton, Esq. of Duffield, in the county of
Derby; and having been twice married, first to Henry Sisson, afterwards to John Tolson, was in her second widowhood reduced to
narrow circumstances, and obliged to set up a boarding-school, as a
means of procuring a livelihood; but blindness having rendered her
unfit for that employment, she became an object of charity. In the
mean time Dr. Caleb Cotesworth, a physician, who had married a
relation of Mrs. Tolson, died, (anno 1741,) having amassed, in the
course of his practice, 150,000 l. the greater part of which, being
upwards of 120,000 l. he left to his wife, who surviving him only a
few hours, died intestate, and her large fortune was divided between
Mrs. Tolson and two others, as the nearest of kin. With a due sense
of this signal deliverance, and unexpected change from a state of want
to riches and affluence, she appropriated by a deed of gift the sum of
5000 l., to be expended after her decease in building and endowing
an alms-house at Isleworth for six poor men and six women. This
lady died in the year 1750, aged 89, having married, subsequent to
this deed of gift, a third husband, Mr. Joseph Dash, merchant. The
monument was erected pursuant to her own desire, by Gilbert Joddrell, Esq. at the expence of 500 l. It is ornamented with a bust in
white marble of Mrs. Tolson, and medallions of Dr. and Mrs. Cotesworth.
Over Mrs. Tolson's monument is that of Sir Orlando Gee (fn. 87) ,
steward to Algernon and Joceline, Earls of Northumberland, and
register of the court of Admiralty, who died anno 1705, aged 86.
The monument is ornamented with an half length effigies of the deceased in white marble. He is represented with a large cravat, flowing peruke, &c. Against a pillar at the south-west corner of the
chancel is the monument of Margaret, wife of Henry Scardevile,
Dean of Cloyne, and daughter of Robert Culliford of Encomb, Dor
setshire, 1698. On flat stones are memorials of Katheriné, wife of
Richard Cox, merchant, 1598; Lettice, wife of Sir Henry Willoughby,
Knt. (daughter of Sir Francis Darcy), 1655; Margaret, wife of
William Blucke, Esq. (and daughter of Sir William Wilde, Knt. and
Bart. judge of the King's Bench), 1674; Margaret, relict of Roger
Earl of Orrery, and daughter of Theophilus Earl of Sussolk, 1689;
Anne, wife of Sir Orlando Gee, 1703; Susan, wife of Nicholas
Laws, Esq. (daughter of Thomas Temple, Esq. of Warwickshire, and
relict of Samuel Barnard, Esq.), 1707; Robert Millington, Esq. 1714;
his son-in-law Brudenel Rooke, Esq. aged 85, 1776; William Hoskins, Esq. 1752; Thomas Ashby, Esq. 1771; Margaret, wife of Dr.
Joseph Taylour, 1777; Joseph Taylour, LL.D. aged 93, 1790;
and Thadeus O'Flaherty, Esq. aged 93, 1790.
In the north aisle, on the east wall, is a tablet to the memory of
Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wilkinson, Esq. 1779. On the north
wall, over the gallery, is the monument of Catherine, daughter of
Sir Edward Leigh of Staffordshire, and wife of Sir Francis Darcy,
Knt. (fn. 88) , by whom she had three daughters; one died in her infancy;
Anne married Sir Richard Wynne, Bart.; Lettice, Sir Henry Willoughby, Bart. The monument is supported by Corinthian columns,
between which are the effigies of Sir Francis Darcy and his lady.
He is represented in armour. Lady Darcy was buried May 29, 1625;
Sir Francis (who was seventh son of Sir Arthur Darcy, and brother
of Thomas Darcy, ancestor to the Earls of Holdernesse), Nov. 29,
1641. There is no date on the monument. On the same wall, under the gallery, is a monument to the memory of Richard Downton,
Esq. 1672, and Sir Richard Downton (fn. 89) , 1711. On the floor of this
aisle are the tombs of William Chase, Esq. "serjeant to King Henry
"VIII., and of his honourable houshold of the hall and woodyerd,"
(a brass plate with a figure of the deceased in armour), 1544; Philip
Champion, Gent. of the Inner Temple, 1674; Mr Henry Newman,
1693; James Goodinge, Gent. 1712; Elizabeth, wife of Abraham
Whetland, citizen of London, 1735; and William Allanson, Esq.
In the south aisle, over the gallery, are the monuments of Richard
Wiatt, Esq. (fn. 90) , 1619; Sir Theodore Devaux, Knt. (fn. 91) , F. R. S. physician to Charles II. and Katherine the Queen Dowager, 1694; John
Land, Gent. (fn. 92) , 1697; and Thomas Musgrave, Esq. (fn. 93) (son of Sir
Christopher Musgrave, Bart.), 1756. On the last mentioned monument are memorials also of Mr. Musgrave's three sisters; Dorothy,
wife of James Hawley, Esq. 1729; Mary and Barbara, who died
unmarried, in 1746 and 1755. Under the gallery are the monuments of Edward Baron, Esq. (fn. 94) , 1640, and Mr. William Daw (who
married his daughter Barbara), 1674; Simon Basill, clerk of the
works to Charles I. for Greenwich and Eltham, and to Charles II.
for Hampton Court, 1663; Dame Grace Danvers, daughter of Thomas Hewes of Kemmerton in Glocestershire, and third wife and
relict of Sir John Danvers, of Chelsea, 1678; John Bedingfield,
Esq. (fn. 95) , 1692, (he married Martha Porter, daughter of Sir Francis
Williamson, by whom he had a daughter Penelope, married to the
Rev. Lewis Atterbury, LL.D. She died in 1723, her son Bedingfield Atterbury in 1718); Joseph Taylour (fn. 96) , Esq. barrister at law,
1714; George Pigot, M. D. 1722, and his wife Elizabeth, daughter
of William Berblock, Esq. of Thorpe in Surrey, 1707. In the southeast corner is a monument (with Corinthian columns, and the effigies
of the deceased) to the memory of three children of Sir Thomas, afterwards Viscount Savage. It has no name or date, but the arms (fn. 97)
and entries in the parish register (fn. 98) , sufficiently point out for whom
it was intended. On the floor of this aisle are the tombs of "Margaret Dely, a syster professed yn Syon, who decessed the 7 of October anno 1561," (a brass plate with a small figure of the deceased);
Thomas Hawkes, vicar, 1614; Frances, daughter of Jeremiah Goughe,
1668; Thomas Hoste of Hatton, Esq. 1674; Dame Anne, relict of
Sir Edward Bromefield, Bart. 1688; her son John Bromefield, Esq.
(who married Eleanor, daughter of Robert Child, Esq. of Hayes
Park), 1683; Eleanor Looker, relict of John Bromefield, 1731; Rev.
Francis Inman, rector of Rippingale in Lincolnshire, 1738; Sarah
his wife, daughter of Peter Mason; Mary Wilmot spinster, daughter
of Nicholas Wilmot, Esq. 1777; Mrs. Mary Swann, 1777; Mrs.
Martha Swann, 1786; and Mrs. Elizabeth Swann, 1788.
In the nave are the tombs of John Richards, Gent. 1670; Major
George Hume, 1715; Mrs. Martha Greenly, 1721; Walter Wright,
brewer to Queen Anne, 1721; John West, Gent. 1738; William
West his brother, 1758; Lambert Degrave, Esq. page of the bedchamber to George I. 1740; Dorothy his wife, 1741; the Rev.
Robert Donne, rector of Sculthorpe and Tickwell in Norfolk, 1765;
and Charles Pymbert, Esq. 1788.
Tombs, mentioned by Weever, now decayed or removed.
Weever records the tombs of John Payne, vicar, 1470; Henry
Archer, 1480; Clement Colyns, vicar, 1498; Audrey, wife of Gideon Aundesham, 1502; John Holt, 1520; and his wife Elizabeth,
1500; John Sampol, yeoman usher of the King's chamber, 1535;
and Anthony Sutton, B. D. 1543.
In the church-yard are the tombs of John Underwood, Gent. of
Hertford, 1699; Theophilus Blyke, Esq. deputy secretary at war,
1718; Richard Blyke, Esq. (fn. 99) , auditor of the imprests, 1775; Samuel
Hemming, M. A. rector of Kilmington, Som. 1732; Mary, widow
of Robert Gray, Esq. 1735; Samuel Rush, Esq. 1739; George
Holgate, Gent. 1752; Silas Palmer, of London, merchant, 1753;
Thomas Greening, Esq. 1757; Richard Robinson, Esq. of Worton,
1763; Mr. John Devall, 1774; William Wright, Esq. 1776; John
Simson, Esq. of Grenada, 1777; Mary, wife of John Ibbetson, Esq.
of Lincoln's Inn, 1780; John Somner Sedley, Esq. 1782; Sarah,
wife of John Hayne, Esq. 1785; Nathaniel Simon, Esq. 1787;
James Duberley, Esq. 1791; and Jane, daughter of Edward Neave,
Esq. and widow of Lilly Butler, rector of Witham in Essex, 1793.
On the south wall of the church, on the outside, is a tablet to the
memory of Thomas Carter, curate and lecturer, 1791; on the north
wall the monuments of Robert Brightman, 1715; Henry Jordan,
1722; John Angell, Gent. 1748; Mr. Edward Ivory, 1763, and
others of the family; Mrs. Martha Greene, 1780; Flower, wife
of John Angell, 1788; and Langley Hill, Esq. 1793. Against
the stone house adjoining to the church-yard is a monument
without either name, date, or arms (fn. 100) , which has the following
inscription: "Si Christicola es, siste viator et æternos annos me"ditare."
The church of Isleworth was appropriated at an early period to
the abbey of St. Waleric in Picardy, to which monastery it was confirmed, together with their other possessions, by Henry II. (fn. 101) The
prior of Takely, whose house was a cell to that convent, presented
to the vicarage as their procurator (fn. 102) . In the year 1391, the abbot
and convent of St. Waleric granted this church to William of Wickham's college at Winchester (fn. 103) . In the year 1544, the warden and
scholars of Winchester gave the church of Isleworth, with some
other churches in Middlesex (fn. 104) , to Henry VIII. in exchange for the
manor of Harmondsworth (fn. 105) . Edward VI. in the first year of
his reign, granted the rectory and advowson of Isleworth to the
Duke of Somerset (fn. 106) ; in the same year there was a grant of the great
tithes to the dean and chapter of Windsor (fn. 107) , who soon afterwards
became possessed of the advowson (fn. 108) . The rectory was taxed at 24
marks in 1371 (fn. 109) ; in Henry VIII's time it was valued at 35l. (fn. 110) ,
in 1650, at 135l. 5s. (fn. 111) In the year 1635, Gideon Aunsham, Esq.
was lessee of the rectory, then called the Warden Hold (fn. 112) ; in 1650,
Henry Mildmay, Esq.; the present lessee under the church of Windfor is Mr. James Orton. Among the records in the Augmentationoffice there is an agreement between the abbess and convent of Sion,
the college at Winchester, and the vicar of Isleworth, relating to the
tithes of the conventual demesnes. The warden and scholars of
Winchester were to receive in lieu of their right a pension of 20s.
per annum. The vicar and his servant were to have free ingress into
the hall or refectory of the convent, where the vicar was to sit down
with the upper servants, and without let or molestation, to partake
of their usual fare; his servant to have the same privilege with the
inferior servants or grooms (fn. 113) . The vicar was to have also a piece
of cloth for a gown, and an annual stipend of 33s. 4d. as long as he
should continue to pray for the good estate of the convent in his
masses; which if at any time he omitted, the stipend for that year
was to be forfeited. By some future agreement the diet was commuted for money; and the sum of 11 l. 7s. 4d. (including the
33s. 4d.) was allotted to the vicar out of the demesne lands, which
is still received. In the king's books it is valued at 18 l. per annum.
The vicar receives 20 l. per annum out of the great tithes.
Vicars. John Hall.
John Hall, instituted to this vicarage in 1521, was executed at
Tyburn in 1535, for refusing to acknowledge the king's supremacy (fn. 114) .
Nicholas Byfield, who became vicar in 1615, was an eminent
divine of the Calvinist persuasion. He published commentaries on
St. Paul's epistle to the Colossians, and the general epistle of St. Peter,
and several other theological works (fn. 115) . His son Adoniram was a man
of considerable note during the civil war, and was secretary to the
assembly of divines (fn. 116) . His son Richard was a member also of that
assembly, and an author (fn. 117) . The vicar of Isleworth died in 1622.
A print of him was published by Richardson in 1790; with an ac
count of a stone of a very large size, weighing 33 ounces avoirdupois weight, taken out of his bladder the day after his decease by
Mullins the surgeon.
William Grant, who was sequestered by the Puritans (fn. 118) , was reinstated at the Restoration. Newcourt mentions no successor till
1678. Samuel Rowles supplied the cure during Grant's sequestration (fn. 119) .
Dr. Cave, an eminent and learned divine, resigned the living of
Islington for this vicarage; which he held till his death, anno 1713.
He was buried at Islington: in the account of which place farther
mention will be made of him.
Richard Coleire, vicar of Isleworth, published a sermon, occasioned
by the rape and murder of Anne Bristow on Smallbury-green, anno
The present vicar is William Drake, M.A. who succeeded John
Fulham in 1777.
The earliest date of the parish register is 1566: it appears to have
been very accurately kept.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
Depopulation at Isleworth in the 14th century.
A remarkable depopulation of this place, or rather of the manor
of Isleworth, happened in the fourteenth century, which is thus recorded: There was an ancient custom in the manor that the tenants
should pay a certain sum of money called the Diseyne, (amounting
to eight marks,) to the lord, besides the customary rents. This sum
was levied, in an equal proportion, upon all males of 15 years of age
and upwards. In the year 1386 the tenants prayed for relief, stating
that formerly the payment of this sum had been no great burden, the
number of inhabitants being such that it amounted only to one penny
each person; but that the place was then so depopulated that it was
six times as much, which occasioned many, as soon as they became
liable to pay the tax, to leave the place; by which means the burden grew still heavier. In consequence of this petition the payment
of the diseyne was wholly remitted for four years (fn. 120) .
Comparative state of population.
The population of this parish appears to have increased in a proportion of more than five to one during the two last centuries. It
was doubled between the periods of 1580 and 1630; and between
1730 and 1780. In the period of 1730–9, 74 children belonging
to this parish were baptized in Hounslow chapel, which will increase
the average to 69. In the period of 1780–9 about 50 were baptized
there; which will increase the averages of 1780–4 and 1780–9 about
2½ each. The following satisfactory account of the present state (fn. 121)
of population was procured for me by Sir Joseph Banks: The
whole number of houses is 712; of these 43 are gentlemen's
houses, 6 farm-houses, 26 public-houses, the remainder shops, cottages, &c. The houses in the village of Isleworth are 318 in
number; in that part of Hounslow which is in this parish, 134;
in Worton, 45; Rails-head, 53; Brentford-end, 105; Whittondean, 11; Smallbury-green, 10; Sion-hill, 10; Wyke-green, 6;
and Brazil Mill-lane, 20. The total number of inhabitants is 4190:
of these 171 are lodgers; of the stationary inhabitants 2223 are grown
persons (982 males and 1241 females), and 1796 children (956
males and 840 females).
In the year 1603 there were 75 burials, being more than double
the average of that period. In 1625, 126 persons were interred,
of whom 38 are said to have died of the plague; in 1665, 195 persons, of whom 149 died of the plague.
Extracts from the Register.
"William, son of Sr Jeffery Fenton, Knt. baptized June 24,
1590; John, his son, buried Ap. 5, 1591."
"Sr John Arundel, Knt. died Jan. 17, 1591, and was buried at St
Collone in Cornwall." This Sir John Arundel married Anne,
daughter of Edward Earl of Derby (fn. 122) , who had a seat at Isleworth (fn. 123) .
He was ancestor of the Arundels of Lanterne in Cornwall, and of
Chidioke in Dorsetshire, one of whose coheirs was mother of the present Lord Arundel of Wardour.
"Mary, the daughter of Sr John Hungerford, Knt. baptized June
21, 1601." Sir John Hungerford was of Down Amney in Gloucestershire; his daughter Mary married William Platt, Esq. of Highgate, who died in 1637, and afterwards Edward Tucker, Esq. (fn. 124)
Sir William Glover, Knt.
"Sr William Glover, Knt. buried Dec. 17, 1603."
Savage Earl Rivers.
"Henry, the son of Sr Thomas Savage, Knt. baptized Mar. 7,
1606; Jane, May 26, 1607; Francis, June 5, 1608; James, Aug.
13, 1609; another Henry, Feb. 26, 1609; a third Henry, Jan.
16, 1611 (buried Jan. 29); Elizabeth, baptized July 27, 1612
(buried Aug. 7, 1613); Dorothy, baptized Nov. 3, 1614." Sir
Thomas Savage was created Viscount Savage in 1626; he afterwards
succeeded to the title of Earl Rivers on the death of Thomas Darcy,
whose daughter he married, the said Thomas having been created
Earl Rivers in 1626, with remainder on failure of male issue to Sir
Thomas Savage and his heirs. The title became extinct in 1728.
"Dorothy, the daughter of Sr William Lower, Knt. buried Oct.
Sir Ralph Winwood.
Henry, son of Sr Ralph Winwood, Knt. baptized Aug. 13, 1614."
Sir Ralph was ambassador to the States of Holland, and secretary
of state in the reign of James I. He died in 1617 (fn. 125) .
Families of Hobby, Vere, and Tracey.
"Philip Hobby, the son-in-law of Sr
Rasba (Sr Horatio) Vere,
buried Jan. 13, 1616." Mary, daughter of Sir William Tracey,
married to her first husband, Mr. William Hobby, and secondly,
Horatio Lord Vere. Philip Hobby died unmarried.
"Harry Trace, the Ld Vere's kinsman, buried Mar. 25, 1617."
Son of Sir William Tracey, and brother of Lady Vere. "Horace,
the son of Sir Robert Trace, Knt. and Bridget, baptized June 28,
1618, buried May 20, 1619." Sir Robert was nephew of Lady
Vere, and was afterwards the second Viscount Tracey. He married
Bridget, daughter of John Lyttleton, Esq.
"Henry Leegh, Esq. and Lady Scudamore, married July 2, 1616."
Birth of Waller's Sacharissa.
"Sr Robert Sidney and the Lady Dorothy his wife had their
daughter Dorothy baptized Oct. 5, 1617." Sir Robert Sidney,
afterwards the second Earl of Leicester of that name, married Dorothy, daughter of Henry Earl of Northumberland. Their daughter
Dorothy, whose baptism is here recorded, was the celebrated Sacharissa, rendered immortal by Waller. Fenton in his notes upon that
poet says, that he had in vain endeavoured to discover the time or
place of her birth, and that he searched the registers at Penshurst for
that purpose. It appears by this entry that she was born at Sionhouse, whilst her grandfather was a prisoner in the Tower. The
following extract from the parish accounts proves that she resided at
Isleworth in her widowhood, 1655 :—"Received of the Countess of
Sunderland, for her rate for the poor for half a year, 15s."
Countess of Northumberland.
"Dorothy, the Lady and Countess of Northumberland, buried
Aug. 14, 1619." Sacharissa's grandmother, wife of Henry Earl
of Northumberland, and daughter of Walter Devereux, Earl of Essex.
The time of her death is not mentioned in the peerages. It appears
by this date of her burial, that she did not live to see her husband
released from his confinement.
"Sr Thomas Dutton, Knt. and the Lady Anne had their daughter
baptized Feb. 23, 1622; Elizabeth their daughter, buried Aug. 15,
1623; Lucy, baptized Nov. 21, 1623; Sr Thomas Dutton, Knt.
buried May 19, 1634." He was descended from the family of
that name in Cheshire. His wife's name was Garraway (fn. 125) .
"Sir John Waters, Knt. and the Lady Anne Biggs, married July
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Simon Harvie, Knt. (fn. 126) buried May
6, 1626; Simon Harvie, Knt. buried Dec. 4, 1628; Simon, son
of Lady Harvie, buried April 6, 1632."
"Giles, son of Sr Giles Overbury and Anne his wife, baptized
Aug. 8, 1627; John, Ap. 24, 1630 (buried Ap. 9, 1632); Anne,
baptized Oct. 11, 1631; Edward, Feb. 4, 1633; Richard, Oct.
"24, 1634; Mary, Sep. 11, 1637."
Three children at a birth.
"Jane Carter had three children (whereof two were still-born),
buried Feb. 23, 1627."
Lord Gray of Warke.
"The Rt Hon. the Ld Graye and the Lady Priscilla his wife, had
their daughter Catherine baptized Oct. 29, 1629; Ralph and Elizabeth, son and daughter of Ld Gray and Priscilla, Oct. 27, 1630;
Talbot their son, Feb. 14. 1632; (buried June 9, 1635); Edward,
"baptized Feb. 7, 1633." William Grey was created Lord Grey
of Warke in 1624. His son Ralph succeeded to the title, and left
an only son, Ford (created Earl of Tankerville), in whom it became
extinct. The Earldom of Tankerville was revived in the person of
Charles Lord Ossulston, who married Lady Mary Grey his only
daughter. Catherine, daughter of William Lord Grey, whose baptism is here recorded, married Sir Edward Mosely, Bart. and secondly, Charles Lord North. Lord Grey of Warke had the King's
licence, anno 1631, to inclose a part of the high road leading from
Brentford to Twickenham, adjoining to his house (fn. 127) .
"Sr Gideon Aunsham, Knt. buried Ap. 23, 1631."
"John and Ann, son and daughter of Sr Richard Salterston and
Elizabeth his wife, baptized Jan. 22, 1632. Sir Richard Salterston's daughter, buried May 13, 1632."
"John Queat, a dwarf, buried July 9, 1632."
"Robert, son of Sir John Bennet and Anne his wife, buried Oct.
18, 1634." Sir John Bennet, ancestor of the Earl of Tankerville,
had by his wife Dorothy (daughter of Sir James Crofts), a son Robert, who died unmarried about that period (fn. 128) .
Sir Theodore Mayerne.
"Abiena, the daughter of Sr Theodore Mayerne, baptized May 1,
1637." Sir Theodore Mayerne was a physician of great eminence
in the reign of Charles I. I suppose his daughter Abiena to be the
same person (called in the parish register at Chelsea, Adriana de Miherne) who was married to the Marquis de Montpolion in 1659.
Sir Theodore lived many years at Chelsea (fn. 129) .
"Sir Richard Murray, buried June 29, 1637."
"Richard, the son of Sr William Thalkeston, baptized Aug. 1638 (fn. 130) ."
"Theodore, son of Sr William Denny, buried July 16, 1640."
Sir William Denny was created a Baronet in 1642. The title is
"Arabella, daughter of Sr Francis Williamson, baptized May 30,
"The Lady Bruker's (fn. 131) child, buried Sep. 14, 1647."
Earl of Warwick.
"The Ld Waurewick had his daughter Frances buried May 4,
1648." Robert Earl of Warwick was Lord Admiral to the Parliament.
"Mr. Francis Brudenell, buried June 23, 1654." Son, it is probable, of Francis Lord Brudenell, by Anne, daughter of Thomas
Viscount Savage (fn. 132) , who was an inhabitant of Isleworth.
"Sr Charles Wolsely, Knt. and his wife, had their daughter
Bridget born Mar. 10, 1657." Sir Charles was the second baronet of that name, and one of Cromwell's peers. He represented
the county of Stafford in parliament in the reigns of Charles I. and II.
His wife was Anne, daughter of William Viscount Say and Sele; by
whom he had six sons and ten daughters. Bridget was the fifth (fn. 133) .
"Sr Thomas Nott's child, buried April 17, 1659; his daughter
Susan born Ap. 23, 1659." Sir Thomas Nott was gentleman
usher of the privy chamber to Charles II.
"Frances, daughter of Sr John Talbot, buried June 13, 1662;
Thomas, his son (by his wife Barbara), baptized July 28, 1665."
"Mrs. Margaret Hudson, daughter of Sr Henry Hudson of Melton Mowbray, buried Sep. 29, 1665." She died of the plague.
Sir Henry Hudson, who was created a baronet in 1660, married
Mary, daughter of Sir Edward Bromfield, Baronet, some time Lord
Mayor of London (fn. 134) . This daughter of Sir Henry is not mentioned by Kimber.
"Jane, daughter of Sr Sackville Crow, buried Jan. 1, 1666."
Sir Sackville Crow (father, it is probable, of Sir Sackville here mentioned) was created a baronet in 1627. The title is extinct.
"Anthony, the son of Mr. Henry Collins, baptized June 22, 1676."
The celebrated deistical writer. He is said to have been born at
Heston (fn. 135) , but as others of Henry Collins's children were baptized
at Isleworth about this period, and none appear in the register at
Heston till 1691, it is probable that he had a house at this place at
the time of his son Anthony's birth, and removed some years afterwards to Heston.
"The Lady Anne Brumfield, buried July 7, 1681."
"Mr. Francis Lumley, buried June 18, 1688."
"Margaret Countess of Orrery, buried Aug. 24, 1689 (fn. 136) .
Yelverton Lord Longueville.
"Susan, the daughter of the Rt Hon. Henry Ld Longueville and
the Lady Barbara his wife, baptized Oct. 2, 1692; Henry, Aug.
30, 1695." Henry Lord Grey of Ruthin, created Viscount Longueville in 1690, was father of Talbot Yelverton, the first Earl of
Sussex of that family. Lord Longueville married Barbara, daughter
of Sir John Talbot of Laycock in Wiltshire (fn. 137) .
Marriages of the Percy family.
"The Rt Hon. Henry Percy, formerly called Cavendish, Earl of
Ogle, son and heir-apparent to his Grace Henry Duke of Newcastle, was married the 27 day of March 1679, to the Rt Hon.
the Lady Elizabeth Percy, daughter and sole heiress to Joceline,
late Earl of Northumberland." Lord Ogle died on the first of
November the year following, and his widow was soon afterwards
married to Thomas Thynne, Esq. of Longleat, who was murdered
by the contrivance of his rival Count Conningsmark, on the 12th
of September 1682. On the 30th of May following, Lady Ogle
married Charles Seymour the sixth Duke of Somerset (fn. 138) .
"Sr William Windam and Lady Catherine, daughter of his Grace
the Duke of Somerset, married July 15, 1708." Sir William
Wyndham, Bart. was father of the first Earl of Egremont, which
title was granted in 1749 to Algernon Duke of Somerset, with remainder to his nephew Sir Charles Wyndham and his heirs (fn. 139) .
"Ld Tumont and the Lady Elizabeth, daughter of his Grace the
"Duke of Somerset, married June 14, 1707." Henry Earl of
Thomond in Ireland, and Viscount Tadcaster in England, the husband of Lady Elizabeth, died without issue in 1734 (fn. 140) .
"The Rt Hon. Algernon Percy, commonly called Ld Algernon
Percy, second son of the Duke of Northumberland, of this parish,
and Isabella Susanna Burrell, of the parish of Beckenham, in the
county of Kent, were married by special licence in Sion-house,
June 8, 1775, by Thomas Percy, D. D (fn. 141) ." The present Earl and
Countess of Beverley. Lady Beverley is sister of Sir Peter Burrell,
Bart. deputy great chamberlain of England, and niece of Sir William
Napier and Alington.
"Nathaniel Napier, Esq. of Middlemarsh-hall in Dorsetshire, and
the Hon. Mrs Catherine Alington of Hammersmith, married Aug.
"Sr William Humble, Bart. of the parish of Twickenham, and
Mrs Mary Fisher of this parish, married Feb. 14, 1695."
"James, son of Sr Charles Carteret and the Lady Mary his wife,
baptized June 15, 1694." Sir Charles Carteret, Bart. was gentleman of the privy chamber to Queen Anne, and it is probable was
at this time in attendance upon her (as Princess of Denmark) at Sionhouse (fn. 142) . Sir Charles left no issue at his death, when the title became extinct. He was collaterally related to George Lord Carteret,
father of John Earl of Granville. Sir George Carteret married Mary,
daughter of Amias de Carteret, Esq. (fn. 143)
"Dame Elizabeth Cartwright, buried Dec. 19, 1669."
"Mr Savage Mostine, buried Aug. 22, 1700." A son, it is probable, of Sir Thomas Mostyn, Bart. by Bridget his wife, only daughter and heir of Darcy Savage, descended from Thomas Viscount Savage and Earl Rivers (fn. 144) .
"Anne Dechamp, aged 92, buried Dec. 12, 1712."
"The Lady Whitwrong, buried May 15, 1716." Sir John
Wittewronge, Bart. married Mary, daughter of Mr. Samuel White.
Their daughter Martha was wife of John Gumley, Esq. of Isleworth (fn. 145) .
Paget Earl of Uxbridge.
"Henry, son of the Rt Hon. Henry Ld Paget and Elizabeth his
wife, baptized Jan. 22, 1719." The late Earl of Uxbridge, who
died in 1769, when the title became extinct, but was revived in the
person of the present Earl, who inherited the Barony of Paget, as
maternally descended from William, the fifth Lord Paget (fn. 146) .
Talbot Earl of Shrewsbury.
"George, son of George and Mary Talbot, born Dec. 11, 1719;
Barbara Maria, Feb. 12, 1720; Charles, son of the Hon. George
Talbot and Mary, born Ap. 12, 1722; Maria, Aug. 18, 1723;
John Edward, Oct. 13, 1724; James Robert, June 28, 1726;
Thomas Joseph, Ap. 17, 1727; Francis Jerome, Sep. 30, 1728;
Lucy, Dec. 14, 1732." George Talbot, the birth of whose children is here recorded, became afterwards (in 1743) the 14th Earl of
Shrewsbury. He married Mary, daughter of Thomas Viscount
Fitzwilliam of Ireland. George, their eldest son, was the late Earl
of Shrewsbury. Charles was father of the present Earl. John Edward died unmarried in 1751. James Robert was in holy orders;
and became the catholic bishop of Birtha, and vicar apostolic of the
diocese of London. He died in 1790, and was buried at Hammersmith (fn. 147) . I suppose that Thomas Joseph and Francis Jerome died
in their infancy, they are not mentioned by Collins. Barbara married James Lord Aston of Forfar; Maria married Charles Dormer,
Esq.; Lucy took the veil.
Finch Earl of Aylesford.
"Heneage Finch, son of the Rt Hon. Ld and Lady Guernsey,
baptized July 12, 1751." The present Earl of Aylesford, born,
as I suppose, at Sion-house. His mother was daughter of Charles
Duke of Somerset.
"Sr William Elwes, Bart. buried Nov. 26, 1778." The title of
Baronet, which was conferred on Sir Gervase Elwes in 1660, is supposed to be extinct by the death of this Sir William, who resided at
Isleworth upon a very slender income.
Nevill Earl of Abergavenny.
"The Hon. Henry Nevill of St George, Hanover-square, and
Mary Robinson (daughter of John Robinson, Esq. M. P.) of this
parish, were married by special licence, Oct. 3, 1781. Mary
Catherine, daughter of the Hon. Henry Nevill, son and heir of
George Baron of Abergavenny and Mary his wife, baptized Mar.
24, 1783; Henry George, son of the Rt Hon. Henry Visct Nevill
and Mary, June 20, 1785; Ralph, son of the Rt Hon. Henry
Earl of Abergavenny, &c. Jan. 22, 1787; Henrietta, Aug. 14,
1788; John, Feb. 27, 1790; William, Aug. 5, 1792."
"Lady Martha Dalrymple, buried Sep. 18, 1782." Wife of Sir
Greville Earl of Brooke and Warwick.
"Louisa Caroline Anne, daughter of George Greville, Earl Brooke
and Earl of Warwick, and Harriot his wife, born the 9th of Feb.
1794, & baptized the 9 of March 1794, by the Revd Frederick
Hamilton. Sponsors, Lady Caroline Peachy, Lady Anne Fitzpatrick, the Duke of Bedford."
Licences to eat slesh.
Among the minutes of the vestry is entered a licence, (bearing date
April 28, 1661,) given by William Grant, vicar of Isleworth, to
Richard Downton, Esq. and Thomasin his wife, to eat flesh in Lent,
for the recovery of their health, they being enforced by age, notorious sickness, and weakness, to abstain from fish." These licences were by no means uncommon at an earlier period. After the
Restoration, the keeping of Lent, which had been neglected by the
Puritans, who entirely exploded the observing of seasons, was enforced by a proclamation from the King, and an office for granting
licences to eat flesh in any part of England, was set up in St. Paul's
church-yard, and advertised in the public papers, anno 1663. The
strictness of abstaining from flesh diet seems, however, to have been
much relaxed at this period, if we may judge from a curious licence (fn. 148)
under Archbishop Juxon's hand and seal, dated 1663; by which he
grants permission to Sir Nathaniel Powell, Bart. his sons and daughters, and six guests, whom he shall at any time invite to his table,
to eat flesh in Lent, provided that they eat soberly and frugally,
with due grace said, and privately to avoid scandal; the said Sir Nathaniel giving the sum of 13s. 4d. to the poor of the parish.
Sir Thomas Ingram's alms-house.
Sir Thomas Ingram, chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, founded
an alms-house at Isleworth for 6 poor women (housekeepers) in the
year 1664, as appears by an inscription which is placed over the
door with his arms (fn. 149) . The endowment consists of lands in Yorkshire, given by the founder, now let at 42l. 15s. 10d. per annum;
9l. per annum interest of money given by Lady Kinsale, anno 1720;
6l. per annum interest of money given by John Derbyshire Birkhead, Esq. anno 1743; and a rent-charge of 21l. (on lands in Isleworth), given by Cary Elwes, Esq. in 1768; in the whole, 78l. 15s.
10d. per annum.
Mrs. Tolson's alms-house.
Mrs. Anne Tolson's benefaction of 5000l. for building and endowing an alms-house has been mentioned before (fn. 150) . Its income is
165l. per annum, being the interest of money remaining after the
expences of building were paid (fn. 151) .
Mrs. Bell's aims-house.
Mrs. Mary Bell, anno 1738, built an alms-house for six poor women,
to whom, by her deed bearing date 1764, she gave an annuity of
5l. 4s. chargeable on lands, the residue of the rents, if there should
be any overplus, to be distributed at the discretion of the trustees.
The said Mary Bell, by her last will 1767, left a house and ten acres
of land to be sold, and the money applied to the maintenanee of the
alms-women. This bequest became void by the statute of mortmain,
but was confirmed by Mrs. Bell's executors. The money for which
the house was sold produces an interest of 6l. 3s. 8d.; the land remains unsold, and is let at 8l. 10s. per annum.
Dame Elizabeth Hill, in the year 1630, gave a house, called the
Townhouse, for a school, and lands at Langley, Bucks, now let at
42l. per annum, for the educating of "young maids or girls, not
vagrants or bastards, but fatherless, and without friends to help
"them" (to be taught to read, and work with the needle, and to
do all houshold work). This seems to have been the first foundation of the charity-school at Isleworth, in which 32 boys and 20
girls are now clothed and educated. Since its first endowment, it
has had the following ample benefactions: Lands at Orpington in
Kent, given by Mrs. Anne Oliver (fn. 152) in 1672, now let at 35l. per
annum; an annuity of 5l. 5s. given by Richard Robinson, Esq. in
1764; 580l. Old South Sea annuities, the donations of various persons, previously to 1781, viz. 100l. given by Dr. Cave, in 1712;
and 100l. by Sir John Cheshire, in 1719; 200l. by Lady Kinsale, in
1725; and 75l. by Mr. Appleby in 1742; 775l. 3 per cent. purchased with 500l. given by Cary Elwes, Esq. in 1783; 21 l. by Mr.
Matthew Dick, in 1787; 200l. 3 per cent. by Mrs. Martha and Mrs.
Elizabeth Swann, who died in 1786 and 1788; 200l. 3 per cent.
by Mr. James Parker in 1793, and the sum of 500l. by Dr. Joseph
Taylour in 1793: 10l. per annum also is appropriated to this school,
out of the estates left by Mr. John Newman of Stoke Newington,
(by his will bearing date 1727,) for the maintenance of charity schools
in and near London, at the discretion of his executors. Philip Godard's intended benefaction has been mentioned before (fn. 153) . The school
was settled upon its present establishment on the 1st of May 1715.
Mr. William Chilcot, anno 1658, left the sum of 21l. per annum,
being a rent-charge in lands in Oxfordshire, for the purpose of apprenticing poor boys.
Benesactions for bread.
Mrs. Catherine Baron gave 13 penny loaves to be distributed every
Sunday, being 2l. 16s. 4d. per ann. Mrs. Rice gave 1l. 6s. per ann.
for bread. Mrs. Mary Child gave a rent-charge of 1l. 6s. for the
same purpose. Mrs. Tolson gave the sum of 500l. now producing
21l. per annum, for bread; Richard Robinson, Esq. in 1764, 5l. 5s.
per annum; Dr. Taylour in 1793, the sum of 500l.
The following benefactions, given to the poor of this place, are
distributed at the discretion of the church-wardens, no specific use
having been mentioned by the donors:—Barrett gave 1l. 13s. 4d.
per annum, to be paid by the Haberdashers Company. Thomas
Stainford, in 1574, gave the alms-houses (fn. 154) at Brentford-end, and
lands and tenements in Ealing and Isleworth, now let at 79l. 6s. per
annum, to the poor of this parish. Mrs. Margaret Kemp gave some
cottages, late the alms-houses at Hounflow, now let at 1l. 10s. per
annum. Mr. Richard Wyat, in 1612, gave the stone-house in the
church-yard, and some lands in Isleworth, producing now 31l. 6s. per
annum. Margaret Wyat, in 1619, gave the moiety of a house and land
at Laleham, 1l. 15s. per ann. Mrs. Mary Kent, in 1636, gave to
the poor and needy, a cottage and garden at Brentford, and now
let at 2l. 12s. 6d. and a rent-charge (on lands in Isleworth) of 40s.
per annum. Sir John Fenner, 1636, gave some land in Heston,
now 8l. 8s. per annum. Cuthbert Hackett, anno 1640, gave two
cottages in Isleworth, now 8l. 8s. per annum. Anne Lady Wynne,
anno 1669, gave lands in Isleworth, now 7l. per annum. Mrs. Mary
Child, in 1722, a rent-charge of 1l. 4s. John Anthony Dyckhoff, in
1747, gave 50l. Old South Sea annuities, and Richard Robinson, Esq.
in 1764, an annuity of 4l. 5s. He gave also to the vicar of Isleworth
two guineas to preach an anniversary sermon on the day of his interment, one guinea to the reader, one guinea to the clerk and sexton
to keep his tomb in repair, and a guinea to the church-wardens for
the same purpose. Mrs. Bell, anno 1764, gave the residue of the
profits of certain lands, charged by herself and Mrs. Child with specific payments already mentioned, to be disposed of to the poor at
the discretion of the church-wardens. The lands are now let at 10l.
per ann.; the rent-charges amount to 7l. 14s. John Robinson, Esq.
gave 1l. per annum to the parish, as a compensation for inclosing a
piece of waste.
Manufactures, copper-mills, &c.
Norden mentions copper and brass mills at Isleworth. He says
that the ore was brought from Mendip Hills; and that "manie
artificial devises were to be noted in the performance of the
worke (fn. 155) ." These copper-mills still exist, being situated at Baberbridge. They belong to the Duke of Northumberland; and are
rented by the incorporated Society of the Mines Royal. There is a
china manufacture at Isleworth, belonging to Messrs. Shore and Co.
Mr. Philpot's calico grounds, and two great flour mills, one of which
was destroyed by fire in the month of September last, and is now