In Doomsday-book this place is called Chenisitun; in other ancient
records, Kenesitune and Kensintune. Chenesi was a proper name;
a person of that name held the manor of Huish in Somersetshire, in
the reign of Edward the Confessor.
Situation boundaries, &.
The village of Kensington lies on the great western road, at the
distance of about a mile and a half from Hyde-park Corner. The
parish, which is in the hundred of Ossulston, is bounded by Chelsea,
St. Margaret Westminster, St. George Hanover-square, Paddington,
Wilsdon, Acton, and Fulham. The hamlets of Brompton, Earl's
Court, the Gravel-pits, and a part of Little Chelsea are in this parish.
The palace at Kensington, and about 20 houses on the north side of
the road, are in the parish of St. Margaret Westminster. On the
south side, the parish of Kensington extends till after you pass the
Gore (fn. 1) . The seat of James Vere, Esq. and the other principal houses
between that and Knightsbridge, are in St. Margaret's, as mentioned
in the account of Chelsea.
Land, soil, &.
The parish of Kensington contains about 1910 acres of land;
about half of which is pasture and meadow; about 360 acres are
arable land for corn only; about 230 in market gardens; about 260
cultivated, sometimes for corn and sometimes for garden crops; and
100 acres of nursery ground. At Brompton-park was a very celebrated nursery, first established about the latter end of the last century by George London and Henry Wise, Esquires, gardeners to
King William and to Queen Anne. Bowack, who wrote an account
of Kensington in 1700, speaks of the stock as almost incredible; and
says it was affirmed, that if the plants were valued at but Id. a-piece,
they would amount to 40,000l. This ground belongs at present to
Messrs. Gray and Wear.
Curtis's botanic garden.
Curtis's botanic garden was removed from Lambeth Marsh to a
spot of ground near Queen's Elm turnpike at Brompton, about the
year 1789 (fn. 2) . It contains a very large collection of plants, chiefly indigenous, and a botanical library for students in that science. The
subscription for admission to the garden is one guinea per annum,
with liberty to introduce a friend. A subscription of two guineas
entitles the subscriber to seeds, roots, &. of a certain value; and
gives him the privilege of introducing as many of his friends as he
Soil, and land-tax.
The soil at Kensington is various; clay, loam, and brick earth.
The parish pays the sum of 148Il. 12s. 6d. to the land-tax, which
is at the rate of Is. in the pound.
Manor of Earl's Court.
The manor of Kensington, which had been the property of Edward, a Thane of King Edward's, was granted by William the Conqueror to Geoffrey Bishop of Constance, Chief Justiciary of England; under whom it was holden (when the survey of Doomsday
was taken) by Alberic, or Aubrey de Vere, ancestor of the Earls of
Oxford. The manor, says the survey, is taxed at 10 hides, and contains 10 carucates; on the demesnes are four ploughs, the villans
have five, and might employ six. There are 12 villans, holding
each a virgate, and six who hold three virgates jointly. The priest
has half a virgate, and there are seven slaves; meadow equal to two
plough-lands; pasture for the cattle of the town; pannage for 200
hogs, and three acres of vineyards (fn. 3) ; valued all together at 10l.,
in King Edward's time at the same. This manor was afterwards
the absolute property of the Vere family, and was held by them in
capite for several generations, being parcel of their barony, by virtue
of their office of high chamberlain (fn. 4) . Aubrey de Vere, grand justiciary
of England, was created Earl of Oxford by the Empress Maud, and
afterwards confirmed in that title by Henry II. Upon the attainder
of John, the 12th Earl, who was beheaded in 1461, for his adhe
rence to the house of Lancaster, this manor was seized by the crown,
and given to Richard Duke of Gloucester (fn. 4) . It came afterwards into
the hands of William Marquis of Berkley, who gave it to Sir Reginald Bray (fn. 5) . John Earl of Oxford, son of the attainted Earl, having
been restored to his honours, recovered (by purchase I suppose) this
ancient inheritance of his ancestors, and by his will, bearing date
1509, left it to John his nephew, the next heir to the title. After
this I find nothing of it till the year 1610, when Archibald Earl
of Argyle, Lord St. John, Sir William Cornwallis, and Thomas
Darcy, joined in a conveyance of the manor of Earl's Court in
Kensington, to Sir Walter Cope (fn. 6) , from whom it passed to Henry
Rich, Earl of Holland, who married his daughter and coheir. It
is now the property of the Right Hon. William Lord Kensington (fn. 7) , maternally descended from Robert Rich, Earl of Warwick and
Site of the manor-house.
The ancient manor-house was at Earl's Court, near the farm-house
now occupied by Mr. Hutchins.
Manor of Abbot's Kensington.
The manor of Abbot's Kensington consists of two hides and a
virgate (fn. 8) of demesne lands, granted about the year 1100, by Godfrey
de Vere, with the consent of his father Aubrey and his brother (the
next heir), to the abbot and convent of Abingdon (fn. 9) . After the dissolution of that monastery, it became vested in the crown. Queen
Elizabeth leased it in the year 1569 to Elizabeth Snow (fn. 10) , and in
1592 to Henry Buttell (fn. 11) . In 1596, she granted a reversionary term
of 21 years to Robert Horsman (fn. 12) ; and in 1599, the perpetuity to
Robert Chamberlen and Humphrey Wymes (fn. 13) , in trust for Sir Walter
Cope (fn. 14) ; the same parties, by his direction, soon afterwards conveyed
the see-simple of the manor-house and rectory, with all its appurtenances, to Robert Horsman for the sum of 665l. 6s. 8d. (fn. 15) Horsman at the same time made over his interest in the manor to Sir
Walter Cope, in whom the reversion was vested; from him it descended in the same manner as that of Earl's Court to Lord Kensington, who sold it about the year 1775 to the late Lord Holland. It
is now the property of his son the present Lord.
Manor of Knotting-barnes.
The manor of Knotting-bernes, Knutting-barnes, sometimes written Notting or Nutting-barns, belonged formerly to the Veres, as
appears by an inquisition taken of the property of John Earl of Oxford, attainted in the reign of Edward the Fourth. It was then valued higher than the manor of Kensington (fn. 16) . They were both
granted to the Duke of Gloucester (fn. 17) , and at his accession became
vested again in the crown. In 1524, Robert Fenroper, alderman of
London, died seised of this manor, leaving issue three daughters, coheirs; the eldest of whom, Ethelreda, married Henry White (fn. 18) , who,
in the year 1543, granted the manor of Knotting-barnes to the
King (fn. 19) . In 1587 it belonged to William Lord Burleigh (fn. 20) , whose
son and successor, in 1600, aliened it to Henry Anderson (fn. 21) . In the
year 1605 Sir Henry Anderson, Knt. and alderman of London, died
seised of this manor, leaving Richard his son and heir 19 years of age. (fn. 22) .
In 1675, it was the property of Sir Richard Anderson (fn. 23) . The
present proprietor is William Thomas Darby, Esq. who inherited it
from his father, the late Admiral Darby.
Manor of West-town.
Robert de Vere, Earl of Oxford, anno 1284, granted lands, called
the Groves, at West-towne in Kensington, to Simon Downham,
chaplain, and his heirs, to be held of him and his successors by the
rent of one penny (fn. 24) . In the year 1481, William Essex died seised
of the manor of West-towne, held of Richard Duke of Gloucester,
as of his manor of Kensington. The inquisition taken after his death
states, that it had been granted to William Essex and Editha his
wife, in the year 1454, by Richard Sturthen and William Hall (fn. 25) .
This manor has merged either into that of Earl's Court, or Abbot's
Kensington, I believe the latter; and that its site was to the north
of the Hammersmith road, where are the remains of a moat.
Date of its erection.
Improved by Inigo Jones, Cleyne, &.
Holland-house, a well-known ancient mansion in this parish, is
the manor-house of Abbot's Kensington, and takes its name from
Henry Rich, Earl of Holland. It was built by his father-in-law,
Sir Walter Cope, in the year 1607, and affords a very good specimen of the architecture of that period. The Earl of Holland greatly
improved the house, employing the most eminent artists in their several departments. The stone piers at the entrance of the court
(over which are the arms of Rich, quartering Bouldry (fn. 26) , and impaling Cope), were designed by Inigo Jones, and executed by Nicholas
Stone. The internal decorations were by Francis Cleyne. One
chamber, called the Gilt-room, which still remains in its original
state, exhibits a very favourable specimen of the artist's abilities; the
cieling is a grotesque pattern; the wainscot is in compartments ornamented with cross-crosslets and fleur de lis, charges in the arms of
Rich (fn. 26) and Cope (fn. 27) , whose coats are introduced entire at the corners
of the room, with a punning motto, alluding to the name of Rich,
Ditior est qui se—. Over the chimneys are some emblematical figures,
done (as the Earl of Orford observes in his Anecdotes of Painting)
in the style and not unworthy of Parmegiano (fn. 28) .
Earl of Holland a prisoner in his own house.
Anecdotes of the Earl.
Meetings of the republicans at Holand-house.
General Lambert at Holland-house.
Plays acted there.
South view of Holland House
North view of Holland House
The Earl of Holland was twice made a prisoner in his own house,
first by King Charles in 1633, upon occasion of his challenging Lord
Weston (fn. 29) ; and a second time, by command of the parliament, after
the unsuccessful issue of his attempt to restore the King in August
1648 (fn. 30) . The Earl, who was a conspicuous character during the
whole of Charles's reign, and frequently in employments of considerable trust, appears to have been very wavering in his politics, and
of an irritable disposition. As early as the year 1638, we find him
retired to his house at Kensington in disgust, because he was not
made Lord Admiral (fn. 31) . At the eve of the civil war he was employed
against the Scots; when the army was disbanded, having received
some new cause of offence, he retired again to Kensington, where,
according to Lord Clarendon, he was visited by all the disaffected
members of parliament, who held frequent meetings at Hollandhouse (fn. 32) . Some time afterwards, when the civil war was at its height,
he joined the King's party at Oxford; but meeting with a cool reception, returned again to the parliament (fn. 33) . On the 6th of August
1647, "the members of parliament, who were driven from Westminster by tumults, met General Fairfax at Holland-house, and
subscribed to the declaration of the army, and a farther declaration, approving of and joining with the army in all their late pro
ceedings, making null all acts passed by the members since the 6th
of July (fn. 34) ." The Earl of Holland's desertion of the royal cause,
is to be attributed, perhaps, to his known enmity towards Lord
Strafford; he gave, nevertheless, the best proof of his attachment to
monarchy, by making a bold though rash attempt to restore his royal
master, when his affairs were the most desperate. After making a
valiant stand against an unequal force near Kingston upon Thames,
he was obliged to quit the field, but was soon afterwards taken prisoner, and suffered death upon the scaffold, by a sentence of the high
court of justice (fn. 35) . His corpse was sent to Kensington (fn. 36) , and interred
in the family vault there, on the 10th of March 1649. In the month
of July following, Lambert, then general of the army, fixed his
head-quarters at Holland-house (fn. 37) . It was soon afterwards restored
to the Countess of Holland. When the theatres were shut up by
the Puritans, plays were acted privately at the houses of the nobility,
who made collections for the actors. Holland-house is particularly
mentioned, as having been used occasionally for this purpose (fn. 38) .
Addison at Holland-house.
Fox Lord Holland resides there.
Portraits of the Fox family, &.
The next remarkable circumstance in the history of this mansion
is the residence of Addison, who became possessed of it in 1716, by
his intermarriage with Charlotte Countess Dowager of Warwick and
Holland. It is said that he did not add much to his happiness by
this alliance (fn. 39) . Mr. Addison was appointed Secretary of State in
1717, and died at Holland-house, June 17, 1719 (fn. 40) . About the year 1762
1762, the Right Hon. Henry Fox, Secretary of State (afterwards
created Lord Holland), took a lease of this house from Mr. Edwardes,
and made it his principal country residence. A gallery, which occupies the whole length of the west wing (about 118 feet), was
sitted up by Lord Holland, and ornamented with portraits of the
Lenox, Digby, and Fox families. Among these are principally to
be noticed Charles II. and the Duchess of Portsmouth; Sir Stephen
Fox, by Sir Peter Lely; Henry Lord Holland, and the Right Hon.
Charles James Fox, when a boy, in a groupe with Lady Susan
Strangeways, and Lady Mary Lenox, by Sir J. Reynolds. In one
of the bed-rooms is a portrait of Charles James Fox, when an infant.
Over the doors of the gallery are the arms of Lord Holland before
he was created a peer (fn. 41) , and those of his Lady, as Baroness of Holland (fn. 42) , which fixes the date between May 1762 and April 1763.
Holland-house is the property of the present Lord Holland, and has
been for some time in the occupation of Edward Bearcrost, Esq. Chief
Justice of Chester.
Date of its erection.
Residence of the Lords Campden.
Charles II. sups there.
Death of Mountagu Earl of Lindsey.
Queen Anne at Campden-house.
Duke of Gloucester.
Earl of Burlington.
Eminent boarding school.
Campden-house, another well-known mansion in this parish, was
built in or about the year 1612, by Sir Baptist Hickes, whose arms (fn. 43)
(with that date) and those of his sons-in-law, Edward Lord Noel (fn. 44)
and Sir Charles Morison (fn. 45) , are in a large bay window in the front.
Sir Baptist Hickes was created Viscount Campden in 1628, with
remainder to his son-in-law, Edward Lord Noel, who succeeded him
in this mansion. Baptist, the third Lord Campden, was a zealous
royalist, and a great sufferer, during the civil war. Having paid the
sum of 9000l. as a composition (fn. 46) , he was allowed to enjoy his
estates, and he appears to have resided chiesly at Campden-house
during the protectorate of Cromwell. Charles the Second supped
with him there, about a fortnight after his restoration (fn. 47) . In 1662,
an act of parliament passed for settling Campden-house at Kensington
upon Baptist Viscount Campden, and his heirs for ever (fn. 48) . Montagu
Bertie, the brave and loyal Earl of Lindsey, whose filial piety at the
battle of Edghill will ever immortalize his name, died at Campdenhouse, the seat of his son-in-law, in the month of July 1666 (fn. 49) . In
1691, this house was hired of the Noel family by Queen Anne, then
Princess of Denmark, who resided there about five years with her
son the Duke of Gloucester (fn. 50) . At this time the adjoining house,
now the residence of Mrs. Pitt, is said to have been built for the
accommodation of her Highness's houshold. A life of this Duke
of Gloucester, who died at the age of eleven years, was published
in 1789, from a MS. of Jenkin Lewis, one of his attendants.
The life of so young a prince cannot be expected to contain much
more than a detail of the amusements and pursuits of his childhood. They were principally of the military cast. At a very early
age he formed a regiment of boys, chiesly from Kensington, who
seem to have been upon constant duty at Campden-house. In 1705,
this mansion was in the occupation of the Countess Dowager of Bur
lington, and her son the Earl (fn. 52) , who proved afterwards a very accomplished nobleman, and a great patron of the fine arts. Some
years afterwards Campden-house was sold to Nicholas Lechmere, an
eminent lawyer (fn. 53) , who was created a peer in 1721. He resided at
this place (fn. 54) . After his death it passed by a decree of the court of
Chancery, to Edmund Lechmere, Esq. Knight of the shire for the
county of Worcester, as heir at law (fn. 55) . It is now the property of
Stephen Pitt, Esq. a minor, and in the occupation of Mrs. Stewart
and Mrs. Denham, having been for several years an eminent boardingschool for young ladies.
In the garden at Campden-house is a remarkable caper-tree, which
has endured the open air of this climate for the greater part of a
century. Miller speaks of it in the first edition of his Dictionary.
It is sheltered from the north, having a south-east aspect, and though
not within the reach of any artificial heat, produces fruit every year.
Hale-house, or Cromwell's, at Brompton.
Hale-house, an ancient mansion at Brompton, commonly called
Cromwell-house, is said to have been the residence of Oliver Cromwell.
I have had frequent occasion to remark how little credit is due in
general to such traditions. There is certainly no good authority for
this at Brompton. Hale-house was, during Cromwell's time, and for
many years before (fn. 56) and afterwards, the property of the Methwold
family. William Methwold, Esq. died there in 1652 (fn. 57) . If there are
any grounds for the tradition, it may be that Henry Cromwell occupied
it before he went out to Ireland the second time. It is certain that
he was married at Kensington in 1653 (fn. 58) . Oliver Cromwell at this
time, having had his choice of the royal houses, resided either at
Whitehall or Hampton-court; nor have we the least trace, either in
history or in the more minute chronicles and diurnals of that period,
of his residence at Brompton; but it is by no means improbable,
that Henry Cromwell might hire a house there to be near his father's
court. In 1668, Hale-house appears to have been inhabited by the
Lawrences of Shurdington in Gloucestershire (fn. 59) ; in 1682, it was in
the occupation of Francis Lord Howard of Effingham, whose son
Thomas, the sixth Lord Howard of that family, was born there (fn. 60) .
Hale-house was sold by the Methwolds, in 1754, to John Fleming,
Esq. afterwards created a Baronet, and it is now the joint property
of the Earl of Harrington and Sir Richard Worsley, Bart. who married his daughters and coheirs.
At Earls Court was the villa of the late celebrated surgeon John
Hunter, who employed the little leisure which an uncommonly extensive practice would permit him to enjoy, in prosecuting curious and
useful discoveries in natural history. This was the principal scene of
his experiments, and here he had generally a valuable menagerie of
foreign animals. Mr. Hunter's house is now the property and residence of John Bayne, Esq. who intends keeping up the menagerie,
and is about to make considerable improvements upon the premises
Among the eminent inhabitants of this place, not elsewhere mentioned, may be enumerated the Earl of Craven, whose house at Kensington-gravel-pits, Queen Anne borrowed as a nursery for the Duke
of Gloucester, before she hired Campden-house (fn. 61) ; Cornelius Wood,
a celebrated military officer (characterized in the Tatler under the name
of Sylvio), who died at the Gravel-pits, in 1711 (fn. 61) ; Dean Swift, who
had lodgings there in 1712 (fn. 62) ; the pious Robert Nelson, author of the
Fasts and Festivals of the Church, died at Kensington anno 1714 (fn. 63) ;
Robert Price, an eminent lawyer, and one of the Barons of the Exchequer, anno 1732 (fn. 64) ; Bernard Lens, the miniature painter, resided
at Knightsbridge in this parish, and died there in 1741. He is said
to have been buried at Kensington (fn. 65) , but his name is not to be found
in the register.
"The famous speaking doctor at Kensington," ridiculed by Swift
in the Tatler, was James Ford, who professed the art of curing stammering, and removing other impediments in the speech, and taught
foreigners the pronunciation of the English language (fn. 66) .
The following eminent persons were natives of this place; Sir
Philip Perceval, Daniel Earl of Nottingham, Charles Earl of Orrery,
and the late Lord Camden (fn. 67) .
Kensington palace sold, by the Earl of Nottingham, to King William.
Kensington-palace, so called from its contiguity to this place,
stands within the parish of St. Margaret, Westminster. It was the
seat of Sir Heneage Finch, afterwards Earl of Nottingham, and Lord
Chancellor of England, whose son, the second Earl, sold it to King
William very soon after his accession to the throne (fn. 68) . This palace
was the frequent residence of King William and his royal consort,
Queen Anne, George the First, and the late King. These monarchs
(George I. excepted, who died at Hanover) all drew their last breath
within its walls, as did George Prince of Denmark, Queen Anne's
consort, in 1708. During the present reign, Kensington has been
entirely forsaken by the royal family.
Kensington-palace is a large irregular edisice, built at various times.
The state apartments consist of a suit of twelve rooms. The great
stair-case, which was painted by Kent, exhibits a groupe of several
portraits, among which are his own, those of Mustapha the Turk,
and Ulrick, both in the service of George I. and Peter the wild boy.
The cielings throughout the palace are by the same artist. The cube
room is 37 feet square; the King's gallery 94 feet by 21; the
Queen's, 84 feet by 21. The palace contains a good collection of
pictures by the old masters, and many valuable and interesting portraits. Catalogues of them have been printed, but the arrangement
has been frequently altered. The principal English portraits will be
mentioned in the note, with a reference to the rooms in which they
now hang (fn. 69) . In the privy chamber is an antique statue of Mariniana,
ana, Trajan's niece; in the King's gallery hangs a very fine drawing,
in black chalk, by Casanova, of an altarpiece by Raphael, representing the Transfiguration of our Saviour. It is the size of the original,
about 18 feet by 12. Lord Baltimore presented it to his Majesty.
Kensington gardens were originally only 26 acres; Queen Anne
added 30 acres, which were laid out by her gardener, Mr. Wife;
but the principal addition was made by the late Queen, who took
in near 300 acres out of Hyde Park, which were laid out by Bridgman. They are now three miles and a half in circumference. The
broad walk, which extends from the palace along the south side of
the gardens, is in the Spring a very fashionable promenade, especially on Sunday mornings. Kensington gardens have been the subject
of several poems (fn. 70) .
The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated near the
road side. It is a brick structure, consisting of a chancel, nave, and
two aisles, separated by wooden pillars, with Corinthian capitals.
At the west end is a low embattled tower of brick, with a wooden
turret. The body of the old church was pulled down, and rebuilt
about the year 1694, the tower being left standing. The expence
was destrayed partly by subscription. King William gave 300l. the
Princess Anne 100 l., Earl Craven 50l., the Bishop of London 50 l.,
and the Earl of Warwick 40 l. The whole charge was 1800 l. The
new building was so ill constructed, that in the year 1704 it was
found necessary to take the greater part of it down again, and to
strengthen the walls, which was done at a farther expence of 800l. (fn. 71)
In 1772, the church underwent a complete repair, when the old
tower was pulled down, and the present erected in its room. His
Majesty gave 350 l. towards the expence of this work.
The chancel-window, ornamented with figures of St. Peter, St.
Paul, St. John, and St. Andrew, in stained glass, was given by Mr.
Tanner Arnold, and his niece Mary Green.
Monument of the Earl of Warwick and Holland.
Epitaph of Thomas Henshaw.
On the south side of the altar, against the east wall, is the monument of Edward Henry, Earl of Warwick and Holland, who died
in 1721. His effigies, in white marble, is represented in a Roman
habit, sitting and leaning with his right arm upon an urn. On the
base of the monument is the following inscription: "Hoc subter
marmore conduntur exuviæ Edwardi Henrici comitis de Warwick
et Holland, Baronis Rich et de Kensington, adolescentis nobilissimi
"propriis tamen quàm majorum virtutibus clarioris, inerat illi jam
"a pueritiâ in vultu ipso, in voce gestuque corporis virile nescio
quid et plenum dignitatis; miram fanè ingenii ubertatem excoluit
atque promovit optima disciplina; omnem doctrinam liberalem ab
eo perceptam illustravit nativa quædam et quæ nobilem decerat
eloquentia. Ita natus, ita educatus, quam primum in luce processit
dignus extempló visus est quem in amicitiam cooptarent primarii,
neque erat in amicitiâ aut jucundior quisquam aut cordatior: ad
aulam accessit sacrissimo Regi Georgio Primo a cubiculo et brevi
"acceptissimus. Hoc sibi meritò non ultimæ ducebat laudi principi
"placuisse, non minus acri ad judicandum quàm ad favendum prono.
Tam aperta illi facilisque ad maxima quæque cum pateret via, cum
nihil ei desuit ad summam laudem nisi longa vita in medio ætatis
et fortunæ curriculo gravi febre correptus spes audentissimas ami"corum propè jam ratas immaturâ morte frustratus est. Obiit die
"Aug. 16to Anno 1721, Ætat. 24." On a tablet (fn. 72) connected with
this monument are inscriptions to the memory of Edward the last
Earl of Warwick and Holland, Baron Rich, of Leighs in Essex, and
Baron of Kensington, who died Sept. 7, 1759, aged 65. Mary, his
relict, who died Nov. 7, 1769, aged 82; and Lady Charlotte, their
only child, who died April 12, 1791, aged 78. In the chancel are
the monuments also of Mr. Aaron Mico (fn. 73) , merchant, 1658; Henry
Frohock (fn. 74) , M. A. 1692; Lionel Ducket (fn. 75) , son and heir of William
Ducket of Hartham Wilts (by his first wife Elizabeth Henshaw),
1693; Lancelot Burton, Esq. 1734; and that of Thomas Henshaw,
Esq. (fn. 76) , with the following inscription: "Near this place lyeth interred the body of Thomas Henshaw, Esq. born the 15th day of
June 1618. He married Anne, the younger daughter, and one
of the coheirs of Robert Kipping of Tewdley, in the county of
Kent, Esq. by whom he had six sons and two daughters. Five
of his sons, one daughter, and his dear and virtuous wife, who
died Oct. 4th 1671, lie buried by him. His daughter Anne, the
only survivor, is now the wife of Thomas Halsey, Esq. of Gadesdon, in the county of Hertford. He had the honour to be
gentleman in ordinary of the privy chamber to King Charles and
James II. by the former he was employed some years as Envoyextraordinary to Christian V. King of Denmark, and was also
French Secretary to King James and his present Majesty King
William. He departed this life at his house in this parish, on the
"second day of January 1699–1700, in the 82d year of his age."
On the floor of the chancel are the tombs of Christopher Blake,
Esq. 1672; Thomas Hodges, D. D. Dean of Hereford, and Vicar of
Kensington, 1672; James Worthington, Gent. first page of the bedchamber to Queen Mary, 1693; Mr. Moses Giraudeau, 1712; Mrs.
Susan Giraudeau, 1740; George Harestonge, Esq. son of John Lord
Bishop of Ossory, 1713; William Kerr, Esq. son of Sir William Kerr,
and grandson of William Marquis of Lothian, 1721; Mr. Gautier
Corbiere, 1737; George Banastre, Captain of Invalids, 1744; William Burgoyne, of Furnival's Inn, 1745; Captain Samuel Garnault,
1747; Mr. Edward Alford, 1754; Thomas Sutton, Esq. 1759;
Francis Earl of Godolphin, aged 87, 1766; and Daniel Chinn, surgeon, 1769.
In the nave are the tombs of Edward Woodward, surgeon, 1740;
and Benjamin Vigor, Esq. father to the Countess of Hyndford, 1764.
The following monuments are affixed to the pillars of the nave:
On the north side those of Elizabeth, wife of Richard Bullock
(daughter of George Fryer, Esq.), 1732; Lady Mary Mackenzie,
daughter of Alexander Earl of Galloway, and wife of Lord Viscount
Fortrose, son of the Earl of Seaforth, 1751; Margaret, daughter of
Dr. Cheyne, 1759; Mrs. Anne Bruce, 1759; and an elegant one of
white marble, to the memory of Maria Theresa, daughter of Count
Lockhart (of Lee and Carnwath), and wife of Sir Charles Ross,
Bart. (fn. 77) 1791. On the south side are those of Sir Thomas Colby,
Bart. (fn. 78) 1729 (the inscription mentions also Thomas Colby, Esq.
Philip Colby, Esq. and Elizabeth his wife, without dates); Jane, wife
of Col. John Mompesson (fn. 79) , 1764; Robert Armitage, Esq. 1787; and
Lewis Davies, Esq. surgeon to the Tower, 1789.
In a window of the south aisle are the arms of Henry Rich, Earl
of Holland, with the order of the garter. Against the west wall is
the monument of Francis Colman, Esq. (fn. 79) , British minister at Florence, who died at Pisa in 1733. The same tablet commemorates
his wife Mary, daughter of John Gumley, Esq. 1767; and Sarah,
wife of the late George Colman, Esq. (by whom the monument was
erected), 1771. On the south wall are the monuments of Anthony
Carnaby, Esq. 1678; his daughter Mary, aged 85, 1705; Nathaniel
Barnard, Esq. (fn. 80) , of Langford, Somersetshire, 1685; Nathaniel, his
son, 1683; Joyce, relict of Alexander Robertson, Esq. (fn. 81) , of Uxbridge, 1686; Mr. John Dickins, 1694; Catherine, his widow, 1702;
and Miss Mary Brasier, 1792. On the floor are the tombs of John
and Anne Colman, parents of Francis Colman, Esq. (no dates);
Charles Goodall (fn. 82) , M. D. 1712; Daniel Lloyd, merchant, 1756;
and Mary, wife of William Stukeley, Esq. 1768.
In a window of the north aisle is the following coat, Sable a
crescent Or and a chief Ermine. On the west wall is the monument
of George Mackenzie (fn. 83) , Esq. 1766; on the north wall those of Edward Boscawen, Esq. (fn. 84) , 1685; his wife Jael, daughter of Sir Francis
Godolphin, and sister of the Lord Treasurer, 1730 (they had issue,
Henry Viscount Falmouth, Anne, wife of John Evelyn, Esq. and
Dorothy, wife of Sir Philip Medows, Knight-marshal); Mr. Colin
Campbell (fn. 85) , aged 29 (son of the Earl of Breadalbane and Holland,
by Mary Countess Dowager of Caithness, daughter of Archibald
Duke of Argyle), 1708; Laud Doyley, Esq. (fn. 86) , 1709; Mr. George
Cure (fn. 87) , 1723; John Ridout, citizen of London, 1734; Thomas
Sisum, Esq. 1767; and the Rev. Jeffrey Dinsdale, master of the
charity-school, and 26 years curate (put up at the expence of the
trustees), 1774. On the floor are the tombs of John Adams, citizen
of London, 1708; William Widdrington, Esq. of the county of
Northumberland, 1714; James Swann, Gent. 1745; Rev. James
Wright,. 1758; Robert Gately, Gent. 1760; Thomas Lowe, Esq.
1761; Stephen Mounier, Esq. 1770; and Mrs. Frances King,
Tombs mentioned by Weever.
Weever mentions the tombs of Maud de Berford (a French inscription without date); Robert and Elizabeth Rote; Richard and
Elizabeth Scardeburgh, and Richard their son, the father died in
1453; Adwin Laverocke of Calais, cousin to John Mewtas of Kensington, 1493; Philip, the son and heir of John Meawtis, one of the
secretaries of Henry VII. and Henry VIII. clerk of the council,
and one of the knights of Windsor, 1510; and Thomas Essex, Esq.
son and heir of William Essex (Remembrancer of the Exchequer to
Edward IV. and Vice-treasurer of England), 1500.
Epitaph of William Courten.
On the outside of the chancel, against the east wall, is the monument of William Courten, Esq. (fn. 88) , with the following inscription:
"Juxta hìc sub marmoreo tumulo jacet Gulielmus Courten, cui Gulielmus pater, Gulielmus avus, mater Katherina Joannis Comitis
de Bridgewater silia, paternum vel ad Indos præclarum nomen;
qui tantis haudquaquam degener parentibus, summâ cum laude
vitæ decurrit tramitem; gazarum per Europam indagator sedulus
quas hinc illinc sibi partas negavit nemini sed cupientibus exposuit
"humanissime, non avaræ mentis pabulum; sed ingenii si quid naturæ si quid artis nobile opus id quovis pretio suum esse voluit ut
musis lucidum conderet sacrarium; ast mortis hæc non sunt curæ.
Hic musarum cultor tam eximius, hic tam insignis viator obiit,
"quievit 7 Cal. Apr. A. D. 1702, vixit annos 62, menses II, dies
28. Pompam quam vivus sugit ne mortuo sieret testamento cavit,
sed hoc qualecunque monumentum et quam potuit immortalitatem bene merenti mærens dedit, Hans Sloane, M. D."
On the same east wall (on the outside of the chancel) are the monuments of Edward Lloyd, Esq. of Flintshire, 1712; Robert Mackworth, Esq. (son of Sir Henry Mackworth, Bart.) aged 95, 1718;
the Hon. Charlotta Amelia Tichbourne, second daughter of Robert
Viscount Molesworth, and wife of Captain William Tichbourne (son
of Lord Ferrard of Beaulieu in Ireland), 1743; her daughter, Mrs.
Wilhelmina Tichbourne (sometime woman of the bed-chamber to
Queen Caroline), 1790; and Edmund Thomas, citizen of London,
1744. On the north wall is the monument of Henry Dawson, Esq.
of Newcastle on Tyne, 1653.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Robert Bealspattle, Gent.
1705; George Hawes, Esq. 1718; Mary, wife of John Floyer, Esq.
of Lincoln's Inn, 1735; Margaret Green, aged 93, 1743; Leopold
Bunt, Esq. 1756; Rev. Richard Ward, curate, 1756; Joseph Cotton,
Esq. 1763; Stephen Slaughter, Esq. (portrait painter and supervisor
of the King's pictures), 1765; Anthony Walker, Esq. (an eminent
engraver), 1765; Mary, widow of Robert Hart, Esq. 1766; Jeffrey
Jones, Gent. 1766; Frederick Ernest, Esq. 1767; Martha, wife of
Samuel Pegge, 1767; Mrs. Christian Pegge, 1790; Charlotte Anne
Pegge, 1793; John Gouin, Esq. Major in the East India Company's
service, 1770; Rev. John Jortin, D. D. vicar, 1770; John Fannen,
Esq. 1771; Mrs. Jane Eustis of Boston, widow, 1771; Captain
Malcolm M'Neil, 1775; John Lessingham, Esq. 1778; Thomas
Lessingham, Esq. 1787; Elizabeth, wife of Captain James Orrok,
1782; Robert Lyttelton, Esq. of Studley in Warwickshire, 1782;
David Stuart, Esq. 1783; Anne, wife of John Hames, Esq. 1784;
Miss Elizabeth Johnstone, 1784; William Murray, Esq. 1784; Mr.
William Sutton, 1785; Joseph Stephenson, Esq. 1785; Richard
Saltonstall, Esq. (an American Loyalist, who possessed offices of considerable trust in the province of Massachusets, and had a principal
share in forming its government), 1785; Samuel Torriano, Esq. 1785;
Edmund Hopkins, Esq. 1786; Mrs. Anne Ourry, 1786; William
Wilson, Esq. 1786; Thomas Roberts, Esq. 1787; Charles Hoyle,
Wilson, Esq. 1786; Thomas Roberts, Esq. 1787; Charles Hoyle
Phelips, M. D. 1788; the Rev. Dr. Turner, junior, 1788; John
Smith, Esq. 1788; Robert Duncanson, Esq. Captain of the 23d regiment of foot, 1791; and Susanna Beverly, wife of Major John
Randolph Grymes, 1791.
Endowment and patronage of the vicarage.
Proprietors of the rectory.
Godfrey de Vere, in the reign of Henry I. (with the consent of
his father Alberic, and his other relations), being upon his deathbed, gave the church of Kensington, with two hides of land, to the
monastery of Abingdon; the abbot of which house, Faricius, had
cured him of a former sickness (fn. 89) . Long after this, the Prior of
Colne (a convent in Essex, founded by Alberic de Vere, and made
a cell to Abingdon) pretended a right to the church of Kensington,
but at the instance of Robert de Vere, Earl of Oxford, they relinquished their claims in the year 1311 (fn. 90) . This church was in the
13th century appropriated to the monastery of Abingdon, by the
licence of Pope Alexander, but without the consent either of the
Bishop of London, or the metropolitan. In consequence of this
omission, the abbot and convent of Abingdon agreed, that the patronage of the vicarage should be vested in the Bishop and his successors, at the same time they endowed it with a moiety of the great
tithes, the whole tithe of hay, and all small tithes, reserving to themselves the manerial rights of the rectory and the demesne lands, tithefree, exempting also from tithes all mills upon their demesnes. The
vicar was to sustain all the ordinary burdens of the church, the extraordinary charges to be borne between them (fn. 91) . At the dissolution
of monasteries, the abbot's portion of tithes and the demesne lands
became vested in the crown, and were leased by the name of the
Manor and Rectory of Kensington, anno 1569, to Elizabeth Snow,
and anno 1592, to Henry Buttell (fn. 92) . In 1599, they were granted
in perpetuity to Robert Chamberlen and Humphrey Wymes, as
trustees for Sir Walter Cope, who the next year aliened the moiety
of the rectorial tithes to (fn. 93) Robert Horsman, by whom they were
conveyed in 1618 to Robert Gynn. The latter aliened them in
1630 to Sir William Blake, who, the same year, joining with Gynn,
conveyed them to John Marsh (fn. 94) . The commissioners appointed in
1650 to enquire into the nature of ecclesiastical benefices, reported,
that Mr. Marsh let his moiety of tithes at 45 l. per annum, and that
he had shown the deeds, by which they belonged to him and his heirs.
They reported also, that the patronage of the vicarage was then vested
in the Countess Dowager of Holland (fn. 95) . The Earl had purchased it,
perhaps, upon the sale of church-property, but his family never had
an opportunity of presenting to it, as Dr. Hodges survived till after
the Restoration. The moiety of rectorial tithes continued in the
Marsh family till the death of Henry Marsh, Esq. who by his will,
bearing date 1741, bequeathed it to his grandson Henry Thomas
Greening (now Sir Henry Thomas Gott), the present proprietor.
Valuations of the rectory and vicarage.
In the year 1371, the church of Kensington was valued at 26
marks, an eleemosynary portion, payable to the church of Westminster at five marks, and the vicarage at 10 marks (fn. 97) . In the King's
books the latter is rated at 18 l. 8s. 4d. In 1650, the vicarage-house
was valued at 10 l. per annum; 15 acres of glebe, rented by the
Countess of Mulgrave, at 20 l. 10s. and the tithes at 135 l. (fn. 98) Ten
acres of land in Chelsea, within the precincts of the royal hospital,
are in the parish of Kensington, and pay 40s. to the vicar in lieu of
tithes. In the year 1781, a cause was tried in the court of Exchequer relating to the tithes of hot-house fruit, which was determined
in favour of the vicar.
Thomas Hodges, collated to this vicarage by Bishop Juxon in
1641, kept his preferment during the civil war and interregnum, by
attaching himself to the prevailing party. He was one of the assembly of divines, and frequently preached before the long parliament (fn. 99) .
Some of his sermons are in print. After the Restoration, he was
collated to the rectory of St. Peter Cornhill, and made Dean of Hereford. He kept the living of Kensington till his death, and was buried in the chancel there on the 27th of August 1672. His son Nathaniel, who was a physician, wrote a history of the plague in 1665,
and obtained a great reputation by remaining in London during the
whole of that calamitous season. He published also an apology for
the profession of Physic. Anthony Wood, who gives this account
of him, adds, that he died very poor in Ludgate prison, anno
1684 (fn. 100) .
William Wigan, who succeeded Dr. Hodges in the vicarage of
Kensington, published some sermons and religious tracts. He was
born, I presume, says Wood, at the Harrow in Gray's Inn Lane,
where his father sold ale, and grew rich (fn. 101) .
Dr. John Jortin, collated to this vicarage by Bishop Osbaldeston,
in 1762, was a very eminent and learned divine. He was son of
Renatus Jortin, a French refugee, who was gentleman of the privy
chamber to King William. Mr. Jortin lost his life at sea in 1707,
being cast away with Sir Cloudesly Shovel, to whom he was then
secretary, as he had been before to the Earl of Orford and Sir George
Rooke. Dr. Jortin received his education at the Charter-house,
whence he went to Jesus College in Cambridge. After he was in
holy orders, he resided principally in London, and preached at
various chapels. In 1749, he was appointed Boyle's lecturer. He
had the living of St. Dunstan in the East, from Archbishop Herring,
before he was collated to this vicarage; in 1764, he was made
Archdeacon of London. He died in the year 1770, and was buried
on the 12th of September in the church-yard, where the following
short inscription, dictated by himself, is to be seen on his tomb:
"Johannes Jortin mortalis esse desiit, anno salutis 1770, ætatis 72."
Dr. Jortin's principal works are: Discourses on the Truth of the
Christian Religion; Miscellaneous Observations on Authors, ancient
and modern; Remarks on Ecclesiastical History; Dissertations on
various Subjects; a Life of Erasmus, and Remarks on his Works:
among his smaller tracts are Lusus Poetici; Remarks on Spencer and
Milton; Remarks on Seneca, in a work called the State of the Republic of Letters, 1734; and a Letter concerning the Music of the
Ancients. An account of his life and writings, from which these
brief notices are taken, was drawn up by Dr. Heathcote, and prefixed to some posthumous sermons, in two volumes, published by
his son Rogers Jortin, Esq. There is a Life of him also, with Remarks on his Writings, by Dr. Disney, who quotes from a tract of
Dr. Parr's, a very high character of the subject of his memoirs, as
a man of great learning and the most amiable manners.
The present vicar is James Waller, D. D. who succeeded Dr. Jortin.
A private chapel was built at Brompton about the year 1769, for
the accommodation of the inhabitants of that hamlet. The preachers
are appointed by the vicar of Kensington, and licensed by the bishop.
The present morning preacher is Richard Harrison, M.A.; the afternoon preacher Seth Thompson, D. D.
There is a meeting-house for presbyterian dissenters at Kensington,
built in 1794.
The parish register commences in 1539; and appears to have been
for the most part kept with great accuracy. The entries of burials
are imperfect about the year 1630. Charles Seward, who was
curate from about the year 1670 till the beginning of the present century, appears to have bestowed great attention upon the
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
|1786–1793 (fn. 102)
Comparative state of population.
This parish appears to have increased in a proportion of nearly
30 to 1 during the two last centuries. A considerable increase of
buildings took place at Kensington about the time that King William
fixed his residence there: the population of the parish has been increased in an equal proportion within the last 20 years; but the new
buildings have been principally in and near the hamlet of Brompton.
The present number of houses is about 1240; of which about 1150
are inhabited, the remainder are for the most part unfinished.
In the years 1547 and 1581 there appears to have been a great
mortality at this place: in the former year were 20 burials, in
the latter 27; numbers very far exceeding the average of those periods. In 1603 there were 32 burials; in 1625, 80; in 1665, 62
only; 25 of the persons interred that year are said to have died of
Extracts from the Register.
John Bullingham, Bishop of Gloucester.
"John Bishope of Gloscister, buried the 21 of May 1598."
John Bullingham, of Magdalen College, Oxford, promoted to this
see in 1581. He held the bishopric of Bristol in commendam from
1581 to 1589. (fn. 105) .
"John Leigh, Esq. (fn. 106) and Mrs. Anna Cope (fn. 107) , married Dec. 5,
1599, Sir Walter Cope, Knt. buried Aug. 1, 1614. The Lady
Dorothy Fowler (fn. 108) , buried Aug. 30, 1638."
"Willielmus fil. Edmondi Morgan militis baptizatus suit decimo
die Martii 1601; ejus sponsores fuerunt comes Pembrokiæ,
dominus Herbert filius comitis Wigorniæ, et uxor Roberti Sidneii
Sir Philip Perceval.
"Philip, son of Richard Percevall, Esq. baptized April 14,
1603; Alice, April 7, 1605." Richard Perceval, ancestor of
the Earl of Egmont, was of a very ancient family in Somersetshire.
Having rendered an eminent service to his country by decyphering
some papers taken on board a Spanish ship, previously to the intended invasion by the famous Armada, Queen Elizabeth assigned
him a pension of 800 marks. He afterwards held some lucrative
offices in the court of wards, through the interest of his cousin
Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury. Philip Perceval, his son (by his
second wife Alice, daughter of John Sherman, Esq.), was knighted
by King Charles, and had very large grants in Ireland; where, on
the eve of the civil war, he fortified and garrisoned his castles in so
complete a manner, that one of them sustained a siege of 30 days,
against an army of 7000 foot and 500 horse. In 1642, he was appointed by the parliament commissary-general of the army. He
appears nevertheless to have acted with the royal party till 1644.
In 1647, he was among the few members of parliament who made
a bold but unsuccessful stand against the independents, being chairman of the committees which were appointed to defend the city and
parliament; nor did he quit his post till the army were in complete
possession of the sovereignty. Overborne, as it is said, by the disastrous situation of his own and the public affairs, he died, after an
illness of a few days, Nov. 10, 1647; when, notwithstanding the
enmity which had subsisted between him and the party then in
power, the sum of 200l. was voted to desray his funeral expences.
He was buried in the church of St. Martin in the Fields, Archbishop
Usher preaching his funeral sermon. His sister Alice, born at Kensington, married Richard Fitzgerald, Esq. of the county of Cork.
Sir Philip's eldest son John Perceval was created a baronet in 1661,
with this remarkable privilege, that the heir apparent to the title,
whether son or grandson, being one and twenty years of age, should
have the rank and title of a baronet, in the lifetime of his father or grandgrand-father (fn. 109) . Mr. William Day and Mary Perceval were married at Kensington, June 24, 1606 (fn. 110) .
"Anna, the daughter of George Calvert, Esq. (fn. 111) , baptized Ap. I,1607."
"Sr Manhood Penruddock, Knt, slaine at Nottingwood (fn. 112) in
sighte, buried the 29 daye of January 1608."
"John, the son of Sr John Townsend, Knt, baptized Jany 10,
1608: Theodore, Sep. 26, 1610."
"John, son of John Tomsing (fn. 113) , Knt. buried May 5, 1608."
Clifford Earl of Cumberland.
"The Lord Clifford (fn. 114) , son and heir to the Erle of Cumberland,
was married to the Lady Frances Cecil, sole daughter to the Erle
of Salisbury, Lord High Treasurer of England, the 25th of July
"Henry, son of Sr Henry Hubbart (fn. 115) , baptized Sep. 19, 1610."
Family of Rich, Earl of Holland and Warwick.
"Mrs. Dorothy Rich, the daughter of Sr Henry Rich and Isabella (fn. 116) , baptized Sep. 27, 1616; buried Dec. 28, 1617; Isabella,
daughter of the Rt Hon. Henry Rich, Baron of Kensington, and
the Rt Hon. and most vertuous lady, the Lady Isabella his wife,
baptized Oct. 6, 1623; William Lord Paget of Beaudesert, in the
county of Stafford, and the Lady Frances Rich, eldest daughter to
the Rt Hon. Henry Earl of Holland, married June 28, 1632;
Cope Rich (fn. 117) , son of the Earl of Holland, baptized May 3, 1635;
Charles, son of the Earl of Holland, buried Apl 28, 1645; Henry
Rich, Earl of Holland, was buried March 10, 1649 (fn. 118) ; Isabella,
Dowager Countess of Holland, Sep. 1, 1655; Lady Diana Rich,
daughter of Henry Earl of Holland, was buried Sep. 3, 1658; his
son Henry Rich, Esq. Feb. 2, 1669."
"The Ld Robert Rich and Mrs Elizabeth Ingram (fn. 119) , married
Ap. 8, 1641; Henry Rich, Ld of Kensington (fn. 120) , son of the
Rt Honble Robert Rich, Earl of Holland, and the Lady Elizabeth
his wife, born Aug. 20, 1642; Charles, son of the Earl of Holland,
baptized Oct. 1, 1650; Robert, born May 28, 1654; Lady Elizabeth, born Aug. 9, 1655, buried Ap. 22, 1656; Ingram Rich,
born Aug. 8, 1656; Elizabeth Countess of Holland, buried Sep. 17,
1661; Lady Anne Rich, daughter of the Earl of Holland, by Elizabeth his Countess, buried Ap. 11, 1663; the Rt Honble Robert
Earl of Warwick and Holland, April 16, 1675; Lady Essex Rich,
daughter of Robert Earl of Warwick (by his second wife), buried
May 30, 1680; the Right Honble Anne Countess of Warwick and
Holland, July 9, 1689; Lady Frances Rich, daughter of Robert
Earl of Warwick (by his second wife (fn. 121) ), buried Ap. 26, 1691;
the Lady Eleanor Rich, March 28, 1699.".
"The Rt Honble Edward Earl of Warwick (fn. 122) , buried Aug. 6,
1701; Charlotte Countess of Warwick (fn. 123) , July 12, 1731; William
Henry (fn. 124) Earl of Warwick and Holland, Aug. 27, 1721; the
Rt Honble Edward Rich, Earl of Warwick and Holland (fn. 125) , Sep. 15,
1759; Mary Countess Dowager of Warwick and Holland (fn. 126) ,
Nov. 14, 1769."
"Bridget (fn. 127) , the daughter of Sr Michael Stanhope, Knt. lying at
the Lady Bartlet's (fn. 128) , was baptized Feb. 19, 1616."
"Nicholas Wingate of Gray's Inn and Lady Elizabeth Leygrosse,
als Trench, of Malborough in Norfolk, widow, married Dec. 9,
"Mrs Rebecca Fenne, the wife of Robert Fenne the younger,
Esq. and daughter of Sr Francis Cherry of London, Knt. a most
godly and worthy Christian, died, and now lieth in Barking-church
in London, Jan. 17, 1619. Mr. Robert Fenne the elder, Esq. an
ancient household-servant to Queen Elizabeth, and unto our most
gracious King James, a most faithful professor of true religion, and
a most charitable friend to the poor, of the age of 77, buried
April 23, upon Friday night, at 10 of the clock, 1619."
"Sr Humphrey Ferrers, Knt. the son and heir of Sr John Ferrers,
of Tamworth castle, in the county of Warwick, and Mrs Anne
Packington (fn. 129) , daughter of Sr John Packington, Knt. of Hampton
Lovel, in the county of Worcester, married Feb. 9, 1619."
"Sr Thomas Lassels, Knt. of the age of 82, worthily graced with
that degree of honour by Queen Elizabeth, by whom, for his
wisdom and integrity, he was made justice of the peace, high
sheriff of Yorkshire, and of her Highness counsell there, and being
here of short continuance a noble housekeeper, and so died a
blessed Christian, with full assured hope of his salvation, only by
the merits of Jesus Christ, buried May 2, 1619."
"Hannah, the daughter of Mr. John Brookes, parson of Chesterfield, in the county of Derby, and of Hannah, daughter of the
learned and famous Mr. William Perkins (fn. 130) of Cambridge, baptized July 11, 1619."
"Mr Lawrence Hide (fn. 131) of the Middle Temple, Esq. son and heir
of Sr Lawrence Hide, Knt. attorney to the Queen's Majesty, and
Amphillis Tichbourne, daughter of Sr Richard Tichbourne (fn. 132) of
Winchester-castle, Knt. married Dec. 1, 1619."
"Mr William Murray and Mrs Margaret Alexander, daughter of
Sr William Alexander (fn. 133) , a Scottish Knight, married July 20,
1620; Hugh Montgomery, Esq. the son of Sr Hugh Montgomery, Knt. of Scotland, and Mrs Jane Alexander, the daughter
of Sr William Alexander of Scotland, Knt. married Aug. 3,
"Sr William Wythypole, Knt. of Gipwin, in the county of Suffolk, and the right honble Lady Jane, widow of the late Ld Fitzwalter (fn. 134) , married Ap. 25, 1621."
Family of Spellman.
"Henry Spellman, an insant son of John Spellman, Esq. by his
wife Anne" (daughter of Sr John Townsend, Knt. (fn. 135) deceased),
buried Aug. 3, 1621; Elizabeth, daughter of Mr Henry Spellman
and Elizabeth, baptized Sep. 11, 1674, buried Oct. 17; Elizabeth,
wife of Mr Henry Spellman, buried Aug. 8, 1676."
"Cecilia, the daughter of Sr John Bennet the younger, buried
Aug. 24, 1622."
"Robert Millicent, Esq. and Mrs Dowglas, the daughter of
Sr George Wright, Knt. of Richmond in Surrey, married Jan.
"Francis Saunders, Esq. of Shankston, in the county of Leicester,
and Mrs Catherine, silia Henrici Jernegan Militis (fn. 133) , In Com. Nors.
married Feb. 10, 1624."
Family of Ashfield.
"Ann, daughter of Sr John Astifield, Knt. (fn. 134) , and the Lady Elizabeth his wife, baptized March 17, 1624; John, Mar. 1, 1625;
Sr Robert Ashfield, an ancient, honourable, learned, and godly
Knight, buried Oct. 26, 1624."
"Lady Anne Brooke, wife to Sr John Brooke, Knt. of the Savoy,
London, buried Feb. 23, 1625."
"Sr Ralph Sydnam, Knt. and the Lady Mary Chichester, widow,
married May 14, 1629."
"John Peiton (fn. 135) , of the Savoy, and Mary, the daughter of Sr Edward Ballingham (fn. 136) , Knt. married Jan. 31, 1630."
"Sr Peter Temple, Knt. (fn. 137) , of Stow, in the county of Bucks, and
Mrs Christian Leveson, daughter of Sr John Leveson, Knt. (late of
Kent, deceased) married May 30, 1630."
"Sr William Blake, Knt. a religious, charitable, good friend to
this church and parish, buried Nov. 2, 1630; Lady Blake, Sep. 29,
Sir Henry Slingsby.
"Henry Slingsby, Esq. the son and heir of Sr Henry Slingsby,
Knt. and Bart. (fn. 138) , and Mrs Barbara Belasyse, the daughter of the
Rt Honble Thomas Ld Falconbridge, married July 7, 1631." Sir
Henry Slingsby the younger suffered death upon the scaffold, for
his attachment to the royal cause. He left issue by his wife Barbara,
Sir Thomas, his successor; Henry; and a daughter Barbara, married
to Sir John Talbot, of Laycock in Wiltshire (fn. 139) .
"Sisley, the daughter of Sr Henry and Elizabeth Crofts, baptized
Mar. 14, 1633; Henry, Feb. 12, 1634."
"Thomas Cotton, Esq. of Gray's Inn, and Mrs Magdalen Mountson, daughter of Sr Thomas Mountson, Knt. (fn. 140) , married Ap. 24,
"James Butler, Ld Viscount Thurles, buried June 29, 1632."
"Sr Thomas Hele, Knt. and Bart. (fn. 141) , of the county of Devon,
and Mrs Elizabeth, daughter of Edward Elwayes, Esq. married
July 16, 1632."
"Sr George Sircott, of Devonshire, Knt. buried Oct. 17, 1639."
"John Mohun, Esq. the son of the Right Hon. John Ld Mohun,
Baron of Ochampton, buried Oct. 31, 1639."
Family of Mewtas.
Sir John Thorowgood.
"Mrs Elizabeth Mewtes, mother to the Lady Thorowgood, buried
Aug. 19, 1641." The Meautys's, or Mewtas's, were a very ancient family at Kensington (fn. 142) . Sir John Thorowgood was gentlemanpensioner to Charles the First, and of the privy chamber to Charles II.
During the interregnum, he attached himself, nevertheless, to the
Republicans, and was member of most of the committees. He resided at Kensington, where, as justice of peace, he generally officiated at marriages, till the Restoration, as appears by the parishregister.
"The Lord Charles Stanhope (fn. 143) , and the Lady Dorothy Gorge,
married Nov. 23, 1641; Charles, son of Ld Stanhope, was buried
from Kensington-house, Sep. 16, 1661."
"Mr Lecester Devereux (fn. 145) and Mrs Elizabeth (fn. 146) —married
June 6, 1642."
"Simon Thelwall and the Lady Margaret Sheffield, married
June 9, 1645; Charles Sheffield, buried Aug. 5, 1648."
Family of Hickes Viscount Campden.
"Julian (fn. 147) , daughter of Baptist Viscount Campden (fn. 148) , and the
Lady Hester (fn. 149) , baptized Feb. 4, 1646; Lindsey (fn. 150) , son of Baptist
Viscount Campden, by his wife Elizabeth (fn. 151) , born Aug. 14, 1656;
Catherine (fn. 152) , Aug. 10, 1657; Baptist (fn. 153) , born in Covent-garden,
Nov. 2, 1658; James (fn. 154) , July 28, 1663."
"Mary (fn. 155) , daughter of the Rt Honble Mountague Bertie, Earl of
Lindsey, and Bridget his wife (fn. 156) , born at Ld Campden's house,
Sep. 1, 1655."
"Charles, son of Col. Richard Norton and Lady Elizabeth (fn. 157) his
wife, born June 23, 1660."
"Mr John Burgin (Burgoyne), son to Sr Roger Burgin (fn. 158) , buried
July 22, 1647."
General Lambert's family.
"John and William, sons of Col. John Lambert of Calton, baptized by Mr Byard, Parson of Wheldrake, at Sr William Lister's
house at Coldhearne, Sep. 27, 1647; Ann, daughter of Majr Gent
Lambert and Frances his wife, baptized Oct. 14, 1648, buried
Sep. 29, 1649; a servant from Ld Lambert's (fn. 159) house, was married
in 1656." General Lambert was one of the most conspicuous
characters during the government of the Commonwealth, and was
the first president of Cromwell's council. He married Frances,
daughter of Sir William Lister, who is said to have been a very elegant and accomplished woman (fn. 160) . Sir William died in the month
of August 1649, and was buried at Kensington (fn. 161) , when Lambert
inherited his house in this parish, called Cold-hearne (fn. 162) . After the
Earl of Holland's death, General Lambert, then at the head of the
army, fixed his quarters at Holland-house, but his residence there
was of short continuance. When the Protector Richard's power
began to decline, Lambert, who had long been at variance with the
Cromwell family, was much caressed by the long parliament, and
flattered himself with the expectation of gratifying his ambition, and
raising his own fortune on their ruins; his hopes were of short continuance; for after an ineffectual struggle with the rising power of
Monk, he was taken prisoner, and being tried some time after the
Restoration, was sentenced to perpetual imprisonment in the Isle of
Guernsey, where he lived 30 years, and amused himself, under his
misfortunes, with cultivating and painting flowers (fn. 163) . General
Lambert's eldest son John, baptized at Kensington, married Barbara,
daughter of Thomas Lister, Esq. and had issue, of which only one
daughter survived, married to Sir John Middleton, Bart. ancestor of
the present Sir William Middleton.
"Mrs Mary (Lambert), wife of the honble Charles Hatton, Esq.
second son of the Rt Hon. Christopher Ld Hatton, departed this
life at Kensington, April 24th, and was buried in the chancel in
her grandfather's Sr William Lister's vault, on the 28th, 1675;
Frances, daughter of Mr Daniel Perrot, and grand-daughter of
Gen1 Lambert, buried Sep. 21, 1676."
Family of Finch Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham.
"Mr Edward Conneway and Mrs Anne Finch, married Feb. 11,
"1651." Edward Earl of Conway, married Anne, daughter of Sir
Heneage Finch, Recorder of London, and Speaker of the House of
Commons, who, according to Collins, resided at Kensington, and
died in 1631; but I find no traces of the family in the register, till
this marriage of Anne Finch, which, if Collins's date be right, was
20 years after her father's death. This Countess of Conway is said
to have written a Latin work, entitled Opuscula Philosophica (fn. 164) .
Heneage Earl of Nottingham.
"Edward, son of Sr Heneage Finch and Lady Elizabeth his
wife (fn. 165) , baptized Ap1 20, 1663." Heneage, eldest son of the Recorder of London, a very eminent lawyer, and much celebrated for
his eloquence, rose, through the several gradations of his profession,
to the high station of Lord Chancell or of England. He was created
Earl of Nottingham in 1681, and died the next year, being buried
at Raunston in Northamptonshire. His character is finely drawn by
Dryden, in his poem of Absalom and Achitophel, under the name
of Amri. Several of his speeches are in print (fn. 166) . Edward, his son,
died at York, being prebendary of the cathedral church there, anno
1738; Henry, born at Kensington June 6, 1664, was Dean of York,
and died in 1728; Mary, baptized Sep. 7, 1666, died unmarried;
Anne, baptized July 15, 1668, was buried March 16, 1670; Robert, baptized March 25, 1670, died unmarried. "John, son of
Heneage Ld Finch, buried May 23, 1674; the Rt Honble and
truly vertuous Lady Elizabeth, wife of the Rt Hon. Heneage Ld
Finch, Baron of Daventry, Ld High Chancellor of England, departed this life, at their house in Queen-street, Mar. 15, and was
buried Mar. 23, 1676; Samuel Grimston, Esq. (fn. 167) , the son and
heir-apparent of the Hon. Sr Harbottle Grimston, Bart. Master of
the Rolls, and Mrs Elizabeth Finch, eldest daughter of Sr Heneage
Finch, Knt. and Bart., the King's solicitor-general, were married
the 14 day of February 1670, by the most reverend father in
God, Gilbert Ld Archbishop of Canterbury." Elizabeth, daughter
of Sir Samuel and Elizabeth Grimston (the only child of this marriage), was born at her grandfather's, Jan. 19, 1671. She married
William Saville, Marquis of Halifax.
Daniel Earl of Nottingham.
"Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel Finch, Esq. buried Jan. 29, 1676;
another Elizabeth, buried Feb. 5, 1678; Mary, daughter of the
Hon. Dan1 Finch and Lady Essex his wife, born May 18, 1677 (fn. 168) ;
Letitia Isabella, born May 20, 1678." Daniel Finch, eldest son
of the Lord Chancellor, succeeded his father in the Earldom of Nottingham in 1682, and his relation John Earl of Winchelsea in that
title anno 1729. He was a nobleman of considerable talents, and
an eminent character in the political world during the reigns of
King William and Queen Anne, having twice filled the department
of principal Secretary of State. He is recorded in the catalogue of
noble authors, for publishing an answer to some of Whiston's doctrines, which procured him the thanks of the University of Oxford.
A pamphlet, called Observations on the State of the Nation, goes
also under his name, but is said not to have been written by him.
This Earl of Nottingham sold his house at Kensington to King
William, soon after his Majesty's accession to the throne.
John, son of the Hon. Daniel Finch, born June 18, 1682.
Daniel Earl of Nottingham, by his second wife, had, according to
Collins, 30 children, including such as were still-born. Heneage,
his son (fn. 168) , was baptized at Kensington, April 24, 1687; Lady
Effex (fn. 169) , March 8, 1688; Daniel, born May 24, 1689, was the
third Earl of Nottingham; William, born at Berkshire-house, Jan. 18,
and baptized at Kensington, Feb. 9, 1690, was Envoy to Sweden
and the States General, and father to the present Earl of Winchelsea
"The Marquis of Kinech (Cugnac) and Mrs Elizabeth Miron
(Mayerne), married March 23, 1652 (fn. 170) ."
Marriage of Henry Cromwell.
"Mr Henry Cromwell and Elizabeth Russell, married May 10,
1653." Elizabeth Russell was daughter of Sir Francis Russell,
Bart. of Chippenham, who had a feat in Cromwell's House of Peers.
This marriage happened before Henry Cromwell's second visit to
Ireland, whither he went with the appointment of Lord Deputy.
His mild and prudent administration there has gained him due applause, from writers of all parties. After the Restoration he led a
retired life in Cambridgeshire, and died much respected, anno 1673,
"The Lady Spencer, buried July 2, 1653."
Family of Cliston, Bart.
"Frances, daughter of Clifford Clifton, Esq. (fn. 171) and Frances (fn. 172) ,
buried Jan. 22, 1654; Gervase, buried Nov. 12, 1656; Alfred,
born Ap. 24, 1658, buried Jan. 21, 1662."
Col. George Twisleton.
"Margaret, daughter of Col. George Twiselton and Mary, born
Mar. 12, 1655; Alice, Oct. 20, 1657; William, June 4, 1659;
Elizabeth, Nov. 1, 1660." Colonel Twisleton was an active
officer in the service of the parliament, and governor of Denbigh
castle (fn. 173.) .
"Samuel Lamot and Adriana Newport, married from the French
ambassador's (fn. 174) , Aug. 12, 1656."
Sir Orlando Bridgman.
"Margaret, daughter of Sr Orlando Bridgman, Knt. and the Lady
Dorothy his wife, born at the Countess of Mulgrave's house, of
a sabbath-day, about 6 or 7 o'clock in the afternoon, Aug. 17,
1656." Sir Orlando Bridgman was afterwards (1667) Lord
Keeper of the Great Seal (fn. 175) .
"Anne, daughter of John Thurloe, Esq. secretary to the Protector, and Anne his wife, was born at the Lady Mulgrave's
house, May 16, 1658." Secretary Thurloe's second wife was
Anne, daughter of Sir John Lytcott, of East Moulsey. Their daughter
Anne married Francis Brace, Esq. of Bedford.
Sir William Strickland.
"Thomas Strickland, son and heir-apparent of Sr William Strickland, of Boynton in Yorkshire, Knt. and Bart. and Elizabeth Pile,
second daughter of Sr Francis Pile, late of Compton Beauchamp
in Berkshire, Bart. (deceased), married Nov. 9, 1659." Sir William Strickland was one of Cromwell's Lords. His son Thomas succeeded him in the title of Baronet, and was ancestor of the present
Sir George Strickland. "Frances, daughter of Thomas Strickland,
"Esq. and Elizabeth, baptized May 2, 1661 (fn. 176) ."
"The honourable Sr Francis Holles of Wynterbourn, St Martin,
Dorsetshire, Knt. and Bart. the only son survivant and heir-apparent of the Rt Hon. Denzel Baron Holles, of Ifield, and Mrs Anne
"Pile, the eldest daughter and coheir of Sr Francis Pile, Bart.
(deceased) and the Lady Jane his wife, were married the 9 day
of June 1670, by the Rt Revd father in God, Humphrey Ld Bishop
"Sr Henry Belasyse (fn. 177) , of Worlaby in Lincolnshire, and Mrs Susan
Armyne, daughter of Sr William Armyne (fn. 178) of the same county,
were married Oct. 20, 1662."
"John Belasyse, Esq. (fn. 179) , brother of the Rt Hon. Thomas Ld Viscount Falconbridge, buried July 16, 1667."
"The Lady Susanna Munck was buried from Dr Hodges's, Ap. 8,
"Mr Christopher Dering and Mrs Elizabeth Spackman, married
from Sr Heneage Finch's, June 11, 1663."
"Robert Southwell, Esq. (fn. 180) of Whitehall, and Mrs Elizabeth
Dering, daughter of Sr Edward Dering, Bart. of the county of
Kent, married Jan. 26, 1665, by the Ld Bishop of Exeter (fn. 181) ."
"Francis, the son of Mr Robert and Mrs Elizabeth Johnson, baptized from the park-house, Oct. 3, 1664, being the seventh son."
Family of Lawrence.
"William Lawrence, Esq. of Shurdington in Glocestershire, and
Mrs Ann Martyn, married at St Margaret, Westminster, Sep. 24,
1667." Mr. Lawrence, who was son of Henry Lawrence, one
of Cromwell's Peers, resided at Hale-house in this parish, where his
son William was born in June 1668. He was ancestor to the present
William Lawrence, Esq. of Shurdington.
"The Rt Hon. Thomas Ld Windsor (fn. 182) , and Ursula Widdrington (fn. 183) , married Ap1 9, 1668."
"Mrs Anne Morland, the daughter of Sr Samuel Morland (fn. 184) , buried March 2, 1670."
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sr Robert Wiseman, buried Sep. 22,
"Mr Dennis Blondel, who having been for many years a capuchin
and chaplain in ordinary to the Queen-mother, some years before
his death, became a protestant, and died a son of the church of
England, buried May 4, 1674."
Families of Cecil Earl of Salisbury, and Cecil Earl of Exeter.
"The Hon. John Cecil (fn. 185) , son and heir-apparent of the Rt Hon.
John Ld Burleigh, and the Lady Anne his wife (fn. 186) , born May 15,
1674, at Mrs Sheffield's; Mrs Diana Cecil (fn. 187) , buried May 5, 1714;
Lady Margaret Cecil, daughter of the Countess of Salisbury (fn. 188) ,
buried Ap1 1, 1752 (fn. 189) ."
Charles Boyle, Earl of Orrery.
"The Honble Charles Boyle, Esq. second son of the Rt Hon.
Roger Ld Broghill, the son and heir-apparent of the Rt Hon. Roger
Earl of Orrery, and the Lady Mary his wife, was born at Dr Whitaker's house, in Little Chelsea, on Tuesday the 28 day of July,
between the hours of five and six in the afternoon, and was baptized on Saturday the first day of August, by the Revd Dr Clarke,
Dean of Winchester, 1674." The accomplished nobleman, whose
birth and baptism are here so minutely recorded, distinguished himself as an author, a soldier, and a politician. He translated Plutarch's
Life of Lysander from the Greek, and published an edition of Phalaris's Epistles, which occasioned a very remarkable literary contest (fn. 190) .
He wrote a comedy also, called As you find it. His attachment to
the science of Astronomy has a lasting record in the machine which
bears his name. Charles Boyle succeeded his brother Lionel in the
title of Earl of Orrery in 1703, and died anno 1731. His biographer
mentions the circumstance of his having been born at Little Chelsea,
but erroneously supposes the date of his birth to have been 1676.
He is right in the account of his age.
"Dorothy, daughter of Mr Sidney Mountague (fn. 191) , buried Aug. 31,
"Lady Margaret, daughter of the Rt Honble Luke Plukenett, Earl
of Fingall, buried Oct. 11, 1678."
"Mrs Mary Wardour, who died at her sister Lady Coke's house,
Oct. 4, 1679, buried."
"Lewis Douglas, Esq. the son of James Douglas, Ld Mordington,
by the Lady Anne his wife (fn. 192) , who died at the Motes in Westminster parish, buried July 7, 1682."
Howard Lord Effingham.
"The Honble Thomas Howard (fn. 193) , son of the Rt Hon. Francis Ld
"Howard Baron of Essingham, and the Lady Philadelphia (fn. 194) , was
born at Hale-house in this parish, July 7, 1682; Francis (fn. 195) , born
at Little Chelsea, Oct. 20, 1683."
"Richard Chandler of Idmarston, Wilts, Esq. and the Lady Barbara Curle, of Subburton, Hants, married Oct. 31, 1682, by Seth
Bishop of Sarum."
"Dame Jane Boughey, late of Twickenham, buried Dec. 22,
"Ralph, son of John Verney, Esq. (fn. 196) and Elizabeth, daughter of
Ralph Palmer, Esq. born at Little Chelsea, March 18, 1683; Sir
John Verney, Bart. (fn. 197) and Mrs Elizabeth Baker, married Ap1 8,
Family of Hooke, Bart.
"Sr Hele Hooke, of Tangier-park (Hants), and Mrs Hester Underhill of this parish, married in Knightsbridge chapel, July 3,
1683; Elizabeth, daughter of Sr Hele Hooke and Hester, born
Jan. 9, 1688; Hele, their son, buried Aug. 2, 1698; Thomas,
Sep. 5, 1700; Sr Hele, July 12, 1712; Mr Richard Lillie and
the Lady Hester Hooke, married Feb. 21, 1714; Hester Lady
Hook Lillie, buried May 30, 1733."
"William Hammond, of Fenchurch-street, and Mrs Mary,
daughter of Sr Thomas Hooke, Bart. (fn. 198) (deceased) and the Lady
Elizabeth his wife, married Nov. 24, 1691."
"John Wallop, Esq. (fn. 199) , of Down Husband (Hants) and Mrs Alice
Burlace (fn. 200) , of Great Marlow, married Aug. 14, 1683, by Dr.
Woodroffe, canon of Christ Church, Oxford."
"Sr Willoughby Hickman of Gainsborough in Lincolnshire,
Bart. and Mrs Anne Anderson (fn. 201) , were married Sep. 11, 1683,
by Dr Patrick, Dean of Peterborough; Mrs Alice Hickman, buried
April 26, 1692."
"Mrs Rose, wife of Nicholas Purcell, Esq. Baron of Loughamore,
in Ireland, buried in the Earl of Nottingham's vault, Aug. 4,
Sir John Chardin.
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sr John Chardin and Lady Esther his
wife, born at Holland-house, Sep. 19, 1684; Sr John Chardin,
the traveller, was a refugee from France, he afterwards settled at
Chiswick (fn. 202) ."
"The Honble James Butler, Esq. fourth son of the Rt Hon. Richard
Earl of Arran, Baron of Weston, and Viscount Tullow, and the
Lady Dorothy his Countess, buried May 25, 1685."
"The Hon. Thomas Ld Tullow, third son of the Rt Hon. Richard
Earl of Arran, buried Aug. 24, 1685."
Family of Boscawen Viscount Falmouth.
"Edward Boscawen, Esq. (fn. 204) , buried Oct. 31, 1685; Mrs Jael
Boscawen (fn. 205) , April 18, 1730; the Honble George Boscawen,
May 11, 1775," (son of Hugh, the first Ld Falmouth, and uncle of
the present Viscount.)
Family of Onslow.
"Mary, daughter of Foot Onslow, Esq. by Susanna, born and
baptized, Nov. 19, 1688." Foot was second son of Sir Arthur
Onflow, Bart. by Mary, daughter of Sir Thomas Foot, Bart. and
one of Cromwell's Peers. Arthur, son of Foot Onflow, born at
Chelsea, Oct. 1, 1691, was five times elected Speaker of the House
of Commons, and supported that office with great abilities and integrity (fn. 206) . "Susan, daughter of Foot Onslow, born Aug. 31, 1692;
Elizabeth, baptized July 29, 1694; Judith Anna Maria, March 11,
"Dorothy, daughter of Sr William Booth, Knt. buried May 18,
1689; John, son of Sr William Booth and Dame Rosamond,
Jan. 14, 1693."
Sir Robert Atkyns.
"William, son of Sr Robert Atkyns, Knt. of the Bath, and Lord
Chief Baron of their Majesties court of Exchequer, by Dame Anne
his wife, baptized Sep. 7, 1690. He died Nov. 2, 1693 (fn. 207) ."
"Sr Edward Gregory, Knt. of Chatham, and Dame Anne Godwin, married Dec. 10, 1691."
Trevor Viscount Dungannon.
"The Rt Honble Lewis Ld Trevor, Viscount Dungannon, of the
kingdom of Ireland, who died in Spring-gardens, buried Jan. 3,
1692; the Rt Hon. Lady Trevor, Viscountess Dungannon, buried
Oct. 5, 1692."
"John (fn. 208) , son of Sr John Jacob, Bart. and Lady Dorothy, baptized May 12, 1692."
"Mr Thomas Partington and Mrs Anne Jason, daughter of Sr Robert Jason, Bart. (fn. 209) (deceased) by the Lady Anne, married Oct. 6,
"The Lady Charlotte Schomberg, daughter of Meinhard Duke of
Leinster, buried Dec. 16, 1692; the Ld William Schomberg, second
son of his Grace Meinhard Duke of Schomberg, buried Dec. I,
"Robert, son of Sr Robert Hamilton, Knt. and Dame Margaret,
born in Kensington-square, Oct. 14, 1693, buried March 2, 1695,"
(his father being then stiled Bart.)
"George, son of Col. George Hamilton, and the Lady Mary,
died at Col. Macarty's, buried Nov. 26, 1698."
"Anne, daughter of Col. Macarty (or Macartney, as in other
entries), and the Lady Anne his wife, baptized Aug. 15, 1697,
buried Nov. 16, 1699; Elizabeth, baptized Aug. 31, 1698; Martha,
Sep. 14, 1701; Eleanor, Feb. 6, 1703, buried Feb. 8; Gen1 George
Macartney, buried July 9, 1730."
"George (fn. 210) , son of George Pitt, Esq. and Lucy (fn. 211) , born in Kensington-square, Oct. 20, 1693."
"Mr John Murray, brother-german to Sr Patrick Murray of Auchtertyre, Bart. buried Feb. 11. 1696."
"Thomas, son of Sr Ralph (fn. 212) , and Lady Mary Dutton, buried
Oct. 22, 1696."
"The Lady Elizabeth Dodson, buried Feb. 2, 1697."
Family of Medows.
Sir Sidney Medows.
"Philip, son of Philip Meadows, Esq. buried March 9, 1698;
Sidney, son of Sr Philip Meadows, and the Lady Dorothy his
"wife (fn. 212) , baptized Sep. 1, 1701." Sir Philip was son of another
Sir Philip, of whom some account has been already given (fn. 213) . Sidney,
who succeeded his father in the office of Knight-marshal, died on
the 15th of November 1792, having completed his 91st year. He
retained, even to the last year of his life, a wonderful share of
strength and activity, which he displayed in a very remarkable degree in the managing of his horses, an art in which he had always
excelled. Sir Philip Medows, his father, died at Kensington in
December 1757, aged 87, and was there buried. "Elizabeth,
daughter of Sr Philip Medows, baptized Dec. 22, 1702, buried
Dec. 25, 1704; another Elizabeth (fn. 214) , baptized Jan. 14, 1705;
the wife of Sr Philip Medows (Dorothy Boscawen), buried April 4,
1748; Mrs Katherine Medows, Sep. 14, 1712; Mrs Caroline,
Ap. 30, 1736; the Hon. Mrs Mary Medows (fn. 215) , Ap. 5, 1743; Jemima Lady Medows (fn. 216) , Nov. 6, 1759." Sir Sidney was buried
at Andover, where he died. Leaving no issue, he bequeathed the
bulk of his fortune to his nephew Evelyn Medows, Esq. elder brother of Charles Pierrepont, Esq. and Sir William Medows, K. B.
"Thomas Henshaw, Esq. buried Jan. 6, 1700." Author of an
History of making Saltpetre and Gunpowder. He was gentleman of
the privy-chamber to Charles II. secretary of embassy to Denmark
in 1672, and afterwards envoy extraordinary to that court (fn. 217) . Mr.
Henshaw was married at Kensington April 23, 1657, to Anne Darett,
widow (fn. 218) . The ceremony was performed by Justice Bradshaw.
"William Curteen, Esq. from the gravel-pits, buried March 31,
1702." Mr. Courten was grandson of Sir William Courten, and
son of William Courten, Esq. by Lady Catherine Egerton. In the
course of his travels into various countries, and a residence of several
years in France, he amassed a very large collection of antiquities and
natural curiosities, and on his return fitted up a Museum, which is
said to have occupied ten rooms at the Middle Temple. This collection he left by his will to Sir Hans Sloane, and it may be said to
have been the first foundation of the British Museum. Mr. Courten
wrote a paper on the effects of poisons upon animals, published in
the Philosophical Transactions, and left in MS. some remarks on natural curiosities in various parts of England, which are now among
the Sloane MSS (fn. 219) .
"The Lady Catherine (fn. 220) , wife of Sr Henry Liddell (fn. 221) , buried
Feb. 24, 1703; Sr Henry Liddell, buried Sep. 3, 1723."
"The Lady Perry, wife of Sr William Cheater (fn. 222) , buried June 19,
"The Lady Marwood (fn. 223) , from Sr Anns's, Westminster, buried
Sep. 28, 1704."
Granville Lord Lansdown.
"George, son of Col. Bernard Granville and the Lady Mary,
baptized Aug. 19, 1707; Grace, daughter of the Right Hon.,
George Granville, Ld Lansdowne (fn. 224) , and the Lady Mary, baptized
Mar. 2, 1719."
Brydges Duke of Chandos.
"Henry, son of James Bridges, Esq. and the Lady Mary his wife,
baptized Feb. 1, 1708." James Brydges, afterwards Duke of
Chandos, married to his first wife Mary, daughter of Sir Thomas
Lake. Henry, whose baptism is here recorded, was the youngest,
but only surviving son of that marriage at his father's death, when
he succeeded to the title. He was father of the last Duke of
"The Lady Veria Wilkinson, buried Dec. 15, 1708."
"George, son of Sr William and Theophila Inglesby (fn. 224) , buried
Aug. 8, 1709."
Family of Gray, Bart.
"Charles Edward, son of Sr James Gray (fn. 225) and the Lady Hester,
baptized June 12, 1712; Hester, Aug. 20, 1713; Lancelot, Mar. 3,
1715; Carolina, Jan. 20, 1717; John Joseph, July 6, 1718;
Mr John Gray, buried May 4, 1721; the Rt Hon. Sr James Gray,
Bart. (fn. 226) , Jan. 19, 1773; Sr George Gray, Bart. (fn. 227) , Feb. 17, 1773;
Lady Gray (fn. 228) , Oct. 31, 1781; Charlotte Lady Gray, June 10,
"Charles, son of Mr John and Mrs Elizabeth Pratt, baptized
Mar. 21, 1714." None of the memoirs of this great lawyer,
which have been hitherto published, mention the place, or with accuracy the time, of his birth. His father, a lawyer of great eminence also, was made a Judge of the King's Bench in the month
of October 1714, and in the year 1718 was promoted to the situation of Lord Chief Justice of that court. Charles Pratt, his third
son, was bred up to his own profession. It is said that he had been
nine years at the bar without distinguishing himself, when an accidental opportunity called forth those talents which raised him to the
highest honours of his profession. He was made Attorney-general
in 1757, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, in 1762; and in
1766, Lord High Chancellor of England. In these high stations he
conducted himself with singular abilities and integrity (fn. 229) . In 1765 he
was created a Peer, by the title of Baron Camden. In 1782 he was
president of the council; in 1786 he was raised to the rank of an
Earl. Lord Camden died on the 18th of April 1794, having just
completed his 80th year. It appears that his father, Lord Chief
Justice Pratt, resided several years at Kensington; his son George
was baptized there, Nov. 21, 1716; Robert (fn. 230) , Nov. 18, 1717;
John, Oct. 26, 1718; Anna Maria (fn. 231) , his daughter, Nov. 2, 1719;
and Frances, Jan. 17, 1721. A child of Lord Chief Justice Pratt's
was buried April 7, 1721.
"Sr John Cotton, Bart. (fn. 232) , of Madingley in Cambridgeshire, and
Mrs Lettice Crowley (daughter of Sir Ambrose Crowley), married
May 21, 1714, by the Archbishop of York."
"Edward (fn. 233) , son of Sr Gilbert and Elizabeth Pickering (fn. 234) , baptized
Nov. 23, 1714."
"Sr Edward Duke and Mrs Mary Rudge, married Dec. 1, 1715."
"Dorothea Louisa, daughter of John Heathfield, Esq. and the
Lady Dorothea, baptized Oct. 26, 1718."
"Susan, daughter of the Honble Henry Bertie (fn. 235) , and Mary (fn. 236) ,
baptized Jan. 18, 1719."
"Mr. Thomas Killegrew, buried July 21, 1719." Gentleman
of the bedchamber to George the Second, when Prince of Wales,
and author of a comedy called Chit Chat, represented at Drury Lane
a few months before his death. The newspapers of the day speak of
it as having been very successful, and mention that the Prince made
him a present of 100 guineas, and that the Princess gave him 50.
"William (fn. 237) , son of the Rt Hon. John Earl Fitzwilliam, and Lady
"Anne (fn. 238) , baptized Jan. 16, 1720."
"The Right Hon. William Ld Byron (fn. 239) , and the Hon. Mrs.
Frances Berkley (fn. 240) , married Dec. 3, 1720."
"Ld Strathnaver (fn. 241) buried Dec. 12, 1720."
"Elizabeth (fn. 242) , daughter of Sir Philip (fn. 243) and Lady Elizabeth Boteler (fn. 244) , baptized Mar. 28, 1722."
"Lady Iley (fn. 245) , buried Sep. 7, 1723."
Family of Crost, Bart.
"Archer (fn. 246) , son of Sir Archer and Lady Frances (fn. 247) Crost, baptized Oct. 9, 1727; Sir Archer Crost, buried Dec. 17, 1753."
There are other entries relating to the Crost family.
"Ld John Kerr (fn. 248) , buried Aug. 14, 1728; the Honble Ld Mark
Kerr (fn. 249) , Feb. 6, 1752; Jane Kerr, 1794."
"Sr Thomas Colby, Bart. buried Oct. 15, 1729." He was created
a Baronet in 1720, being described of Kensington. Several entries
relating to the family at an earlier period are to be found in the
register. The title is extinct.
"The Rt Hon. Catherine (fn. 250) , wife of the Rt Hon. William Lord
Abergavenny, buried Dec. 12, 1729; Edward, son of Ld Abergavenny, buried Jan. 23, 1730."
"Lady Willoughby de Broke (fn. 251) , buried Sep. 17, 1730."
"Henry Lord Dunkellin (fn. 252) , son of the Rt Hon. Smith Burke
Earl of Clanrickarde and the Lady Hester (fn. 253) his wife, baptized
Feb. 9, 1743; Louisa, their daughter (fn. 254) , May 6, 1746."
"Miss Caroline, daughter of Lady Gertrude Hotham (fn. 255) , buried
Sep. 10, 1750."
"Elizabeth (fn. 256) , daughter of Sr Walter Blacket, Bart. buried May 29,
"Lady Caroline Fitzgerald (fn. 257) , buried from Holland-house, Ap. 29,
"Sr Digby Legard, Bart. (fn. 258) , of Ganton in Yorkshire, and Jane
Cartwright (fn. 259) of Kensington, married Aug. 19, 1755."
"Richard Prince Astley, Esq. son of Sr John Astley, Bart. buried
Sep. 15, 1756." He died unmarried.
"Amelia (fn. 260) and Elizabeth (fn. 261) , twins of the Hon. Gen1 John
Waldgrave (fn. 262) and Lady Elizabeth his wife (fn. 263) , baptized June 22,
Richard Viscount Molesworth.
"Richard Viscount Molesworth, buried Oct. 16, 1758." He
distinguished himself as a gallant officer under the Duke of Marlborough, and had the good fortune to save his General's life
at the battle of Ramillies. He was promoted to the rank of Fieldmarshal the year before his death. Lord Molesworth published
a work on the government and conduct of an army, printed by
"The Rt Hon. Richard Nassau, Viscount Molesworth (son of the
last mentioned Peer), was buried at Kensington July 9, 1793." He
was succeeded by his nephew the present Viscount.
"Susanna Lady Clavering (fn. 264) , buried Ap. 2, 1759."
"Thomas Charles Bunbury, Esq. (fn. 266) and Lady Sarah Lenox (fn. 267) ,
married in the chapel at Holland—house, June 2, 1762, by Philip
Francis, D. D."
"Sr Henry Slingsby, buried June 25, 1763."
"The Rt Hon. Francis Earl of Godolphin, buried Jan. 25, 1766."
Son of the Lord Treasurer; he was first gentleman of the bedchamber to George I. and II. Leaving no surviving issue by his
wife Henrietta Duchess of Marlborough, the titles of Earl of Godolphin and Viscount Rialton became extinct at his death, and that of
Baron Godolphin on the death of Francis Lord Godolphin, in 1785.
"The Rt Honble Lady Caroline Viscountess Fortrose (fn. 268) , buried
Feb. 14, 1767."
"Sir Peter Rivers Gay, Bart. (fn. 269) of Winchester, in the county of
Hants, and Martha Cox (fn. 270) , married July 14, 1768."
"The Honble William Murray (fn. 271) , buried May 28, 1773; the
Honble William Murray (fn. 272) and Sarah Maese, married Aug. 11,
1783; Honble William Murray, buried Jan. 2, 1787."
"Sr John Fielding (fn. 273) and Mary Sedgley (fn. 274) , married Aug. 6, 1774."
"Jane, daughter of Henry Ld Paget (fn. 275) and Jane (fn. 276) his wife, baptized Sep. 19, 1774."
"Sr Thomas Reynell, Bart. (fn. 277) , buried Sep. 19, 1775."
"The Rt Honble Camilla Countess Dowager of Tankerville (fn. 278) ,
buried Oct. 17, 1775."
"Frances Anne, daughter of Charles Earl of Drogheda (fn. *) and Anne
his Countess (fn. 279) , baptized Nov. 5, 1776."
"The Honble William Harcourt (fn. 280) and Mary Lockhart (widow) (fn. 281) ,
married Sep. 22, 1778."
"Lady Dorothea Arabella Primrose, daughter of Neil Earl of
Roseberry (fn. 282) and Mary his Countess (fn. 283) , baptized Mar. 5, 1779."
"Isaac Da Costa, Esq. and the Rt Hon. Lady Elizabeth Annesley
"Weaver, widow, married July 15, 1780; Lady Elizabeth Carolina Anne Da Costa, buried Oct. 5, 1789."
"The Honble Mrs Anne Pitt (fn. 284) , buried Feb. 15, 1781."
"The Hon. Robert Monkton (fn. 285) , General of his Majesties forces,
buried May 26, 1782."
"The Rt Hon. Catherine Sarah Lady Dowager Donneraile (fn. 286) ,
buried Aug. 2, 1783."
"Carolina Countess Dowager of Harrington (fn. 287) , buried July 6,
"The Honble Mrs Diana Walpole (fn. 288) , buried July 31, 1784."
"Lady Arabella Vincent (fn. 289) , buried Feb. 5, 1785."
"Edward Knatchbull, Esq. (fn. 290) and Frances Graham, married
"June 4, 1785."
"Lady Rebecca Westcome, buried Jan. 10, 1789."
"Rev. Martin Madan, buried May 8, 1790." Son of Martin
Madan, Esq. of Hertingsordbury near Hertford, member of parliament for Woottonbasset, and Groom of the bedchamber to Frederick
Prince of Wales. His mother was daughter of Spencer Cowper, Esq.
and niece of the Lord Chancellor, an accomplished lady, and author
of several poems of considerable merit (fn. 292) . Mr. Madan was originally
bred to the law, and had been called to the bar; he afterwards quitted
that profession, entered into holy orders, became chaplain at the
Lock hospital, and a popular preacher. In the year 1780 he published a book called Thelypthora, which from the singularity of its
doctrines, being a defence of polygamy, was much read and talked
of when it first came out. It is somewhat remarkable that Mrs.
Manley in the Atalantis speaks of Lord Chancellor Cowper, as maintaining the same tenents. Mr. Madan published also a literal translation of Juvenal and Persius; Thoughts on executive Justice with respect to the Criminal Laws, and some single Sermons. He died at
Epsom in the 64th year of his age.
"Isabella Margaret Boyle, daughter of George Earl of Glascow
and Augusta his Countess (fn. 293) , baptized Aug. 12, 1790."
"George Colman, aged 62, buried Aug. 24, 1794." Mr. Colman
was son of Francis Colman, Esq. by his wife Mary, daughter of John
Gumley, Esq. of Isleworth, and sister to Anna Maria Countess of
Bath. He was born at Florence not long before the death of his
father, who was British minister at that place. Mr. Colman received
his education at Westminster School, and at Christ-church College
in Oxford, where he lived upon terms of great intimacy with the
most distinguished wits of that day. Colman was bred to the law,
and became a barrister of Lincoln's Inn; but relinquished that
profession, and gave himself up to literary pursuits. For a few years
he was concerned in the management of Covent Garden Theatre;
and was afterwards for many years, and till his death, sole patentee
of the summer theatre in the Haymarket. He distinguished himself
in the literary world both as a classical scholar and a dramatic writer.
A list of his numerous productions for the stage may be seen in the
Biographia Dramatica: of these the Jealous Wife, and the Clandestine
Marriage (in which he was assisted by Garrick), are perhaps the most
celebrated. The excellent acting of King, who supported the character of Lord Ogleby in the latter at its first representation in 1766,
still continues to engage the admiration and applause of the dramatic
amateur. Mr. Colman was joint author of the Connoisseur; and
published a translation of Horace's Art of Poetry, and the Comedies
of Terence, besides several poems and fugitive pieces, which have
been collected into three volumes. Mr. Colman died at Paddington
on the 14th of August, and was interred at this place in a family vault.
"The Hon. Patrick James Herbert Stuart, second son of John
Ld Viscount Mountstuart (fn. 294) and Elizabeth Penelope Viscountess
Mountstuart (fn. 295) , born at Brompton-park house Aug. 20; baptized
Sep. 27, 1794."
A few other entries relating to families connected with the peerage, and those of baronets, occur in the register (fn. 296) .
Instances of Longevity.
"Abigail Partridge, aged 94, buried Nov. 16, 1756; Mrs. Elizabeth Lessiney, aged 94, buried Mar. 29, 1757; Margaret Smart,
aged 103, buried Nov. 12, 1786."
The following instances are collected from a small book, containing a rough copy of registers of burials from the year 1786. The
ages are not specified in the larger register:
"Sarah Eastman, aged 91, Dec. 21, 1786.
"—Wilson, aged 93, Dec. 27, 1786.
"Elizabeth Taylor, aged 92, Jan. 6, 1787.
"Anne Morley, aged 93, Mar. 14, 1787.
"Jacob Harris, aged 92, April 13, 1787.
"Christian Ogilvie, aged 94, Nov. 25, 1789.
"John Walker, aged 95, Oct. 29, 1790.
"John Henry Lydius, Esq. (fn. 296) , aged 96, Feb. 5, 1791.
"Mary Butler, aged 90, Jan. 21, 1792.
"Jane Jones, aged 90, Mar. 2, 1793.
"Jane Wood, aged 90, Ap. 17, 1793.
"Elizabeth Warren, aged 96, May 8, 1793.
"Anne Beckingham, aged 91, April 14, 1793."
Several of the above-mentioned persons were paupers buried from
the workhouse. William Addison, Esq. is said to have died at Kensington, Sept. 18, 1763, aged 94; the Rev. Mr. Nelson, April 14,
1771, aged 92, and the Rev. Mr. Fleming, Sept. 16, 1771, aged
92 (fn. 297) .
Roger Pimble, Gent. in the year 1645, gave the Lion Inn (on the
site of which are now two leasehold houses, lately let at 141. 10s.
per annum), for the maintenance of a free school. About the same
time the parish, with a sum of money raised by voluntary contribution, purchased a house called the Catherine-wheel, which was converted into a school-house. In 1698 Mrs. Catherine Dickins gave
501. to be laid out to the best advantage for the maintenance of a
school. With this money, and another legacy of 401. left by Mrs.
Mary Carnaby to the poor, was purchased the Goat alehouse, now
let at 201.. per annum, the whole of which is, by a resolution of
vestry, appropriated to the school. The present school-house was
erected about the year 1707, by subscription, at the expence of
3181. (fn. 298) Dr. Millington, anno 1724, bequeathed to the school a
third part of the rent of 24 computed acres of land at Acton, now
producing about 121. per annum. The house adjoining to the
school was purchased by the trustees; and is let at 20 l. per annum.
They have the lease also of another house let at 141., but their interest in it expires within three years. About the time that the present school-house was built (viz. in 1708), Queen Anne granted an
annuity of 50 l. to this charity, and Prince George of Denmark one
of 301. When King George I. came to the throne, he confirmed
both grants. This donation of 801. per annum has been continued
ever since from the crown. The school fund has been augmented
during the present century, by benefactions in money, to the
amount of 23001. South Sea Stock (fn. 299) . With these endowments,
aided by collections at four annual charity sermons preached at
Kensington-church and Brompton-chapel, 22 boys and 11 girls
are taught, clothed, and maintained in the school-house. Every
boy when he leaves the school receives an apprentice-fee of 51. out
of Lady Campden's benefaction. The girls go out to service, and if
they continue 12 months in their place, are rewarded with a premium of 20s. (fn. 299)
There is a Sunday-school at Kensington, in which are 42 boys,
and a school of industry for girls, who are clothed by their own
earnings. The number in this school is from 50 to 60. These
schools are under very good regulations, and attended by the principal inhabitants of the place in rotation as visitors. The girls when
sit for service are recommended to places, and encouragements are
held out to those who behave well. If any children offer who are
thought to be too young for the schools, they are put under the care
of proper persons till they are old enough to be received (fn. 300) .
Benefactions for apprenticing children.
Lady Viscountess Campden, anno 1644, left to this parish the
sum of 2001. to purchase lands, a moiety of the rent to be appropriated to apprentice a poor boy or boys. The sum of 541. per
annum is now appropriated to this purpose, as will be more particularly stated hereafter.
William Methwold, Esq. in 1652, erected an hospital or almshouse, for six poor women (fn. 301) , near his mansion, called Hale-house,
at Brompton, and endowed it with an annuity of 241. per annum,
being 41. for each pensioner, but left no fund for repairs; in consequence of which the pensions were reduced to 31. The coheirs of
Sir John Fleming (fn. 302) , as proprietors of Hale-house, nominate three
of the pensioners, the parish the remainder.
A rent-charge upon the Sheffield estate having been several years
in arrear, the proprietor in the year 1759 erected three alms-houses
upon the estate, and leased them to the parish for 31 years, at 201.
per annum, the rent to be set against the interest of the debt and the
growing annuity. The parish have some alms-houses, containing
five tenements at the Gravel-pits, and three tenements at Kensington
Gore. An addition was made to those at the Gore, with the sum
of 301. received in compensation for a rent-charge on a house in
Westminster (fn. 303) .
Thomas Goodfellow, in 1596, gave 20s. per annum to the poor
of this parish, being a rent-charge upon Hale-house. John Powell
of Fulham, about the year 1604, gave the same sum charged upon
a house in Westminster, which being pulled down when the bridge
was built, the parish received a compensation in money. Jane Lady
Berkley, in 1617, gave 101. per annum, being a rent-charge on a
house, which was afterwards the Earl of Mulgrave's. Thomas
Younge, yeoman of the guards, about the year 1630, gave a rentcharge of 20 s., issuing out of a house in Kensington. Baptist Hickes,
Viscount Campden, anno 1630, gave 2001. to purchase lands for
the poor. His widow, in 1644, gave the same sum to be expended
in like manner, and directed that half of the profits should go to the
poor, and the other half to apprentice a poor boy or boys. An anonymous benefactor, in 1652, gave some land at Kensington Gravelpits, on which was formerly a malt-house. This is called Cromwell's
gift, and a tradition has prevailed that it was given by Oliver Cromwell; but the parish have no evidence to ascertain it. John Sams,
in 1658, gave an annuity of 51. payable out of lands in Kensington.
In the year 1777, an act of parliament passed, enabling the parish
of Kensington to let such lands as were purchased with the legacies
of Lord and Lady Campden, and the land at the Gravel-pits, called
Cromwell's gift, on building leases; the same act empowers them to
build a workhouse for the poor, to take up a certain sum of money
upon annuities for that purpose, and to appropriate the rents of the
aforesaid lands towards paying the interest of the money till the annuitants should drop off, setting apart a certain proportion to answer
the purpose of Lady Campden's specific bequest for apprenticing
children. In consequence of this act, the lands at Shepherd's-bush,
purchased with Lord Campden's benefaction, were let at about 321.
per annum, with liberty to dig tiles, &.; the Buttsfield, near Kensington, bought with Lady Campden's money, at about 361. per
annum; and the land at the Gravel-pits, on which a brewery has
been erected, at about 381. The sum of 541. per annum, being
equal to the whole amount of the three benefactions according to the
old rents, was appropriated to the purpose of apprenticing children.
His Majesty gives an annual bounty of 251. to the poor of this
parish, over and above the benefaction already mentioned to the