Name and etymology.
Situation, boundaries, extent, &c.
In ancient records, this place is called Newtone, or Neweton, that
is, the new town. The word Stoke (from the Saxon Stoc, a wood)
frequently occurs, either as the name of a parish, or, as in the
present instance, a discriminating addition. I find it prefixed to
this place as early as the 15th century (fn. 1) . Newcourt says, that it
was sometimes called Neweton Canonicorum, from its connection
with the chapter of St. Paul's. Stoke-Newington lies in the hundred
of Ossulston, at the distance of above three miles north of London.
The parish is bounded by Hornsey, Islington, Hackney, and Tottenham. It contains about 550 acres (fn. 2) of land, 18 of which are
occupied by market gardeners; the remainder, almost wholly meadow and pasture. About 120 cows are kept in this parish. The
soil on the south side of the parish is gravelly, on the north, clay.
The quota paid to the land-tax is 482l. 1s. 6d., which is at the rate
of about 1s. 10d. in the pound.
The New-river takes a very circuitous course through this parish.
The manor of Newington was part of the ancient demesnes of St.
Paul's cathedral. In Newtone, says the record of Doomsday, the
canons of St. Paul's hold two hides, being two plough-lands and a
half, all cultivated in culture. There are four villans and 37 cottars
of 10 acres. This manor was valued at 40s. per annum in the
Confessor's time, and when the survey was taken. It was, and is,
says the record, parcel of the demesnes of St. Paul's. The manor
of Newington has, from time immemorial, been the corps of a prebend (fn. 3) in that cathedral. It is probable that the prebendaries held
it formerly in their own hands. The first lessee who occurs upon
record is William Patten, Esq. (great nephew of the founder of
Magdalen college) who renewed his lease with Thomas Penny (then
prebendary) in 1560 (fn. 4) . A few years afterwards (anno 1565) Mr.
Patten obtained another lease from the same prebendary for 99 years,
to commence from 1575. This lease he assigned in the year 1571
to John Dudley, Esq. who died in 1580, leaving a widow, afterwards married to Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charter-house, and
one daughter Anne, who, during the mother's life, were joint proprietors of the manor (fn. 5) . Anne Dudley married Sir Francis Popham,
Knt. whose son Alexander purchased the fee-simple of the manor,
when the church lands were sold in 1649 (fn. 6) . At the Restoration, the
church recovered its rights, Mr. Popham reverted to his former
state of lessee, and Penny's lease (which was granted before the restraining act of Queen Elizabeth) being nearly expired, obtained a
fresh lease for three lives, renewable according to the usual tenure
of church leases (fn. 7) . In 1699, Alexander, son of Sir Francis Popham,
K.B. and grandson of Colonel Alexander Popham, above-mentioned,
sold his interest in the then existing lease, to Thomas Gunston, Esq.
who died the next year. His sister Mary, who inherited this manor
as residuary legatee, married Sir Thomas Abney, some time Lord
Mayor of London. After the decease of Mrs. Elizabeth Abney,
their only surviving child, who died unmarried, at the age of 78,
in 1782, the lease of this manor was sold, pursuant to her will (anno
1783), and purchased by Jonathan Eade, Esq. who is the present
lessee, and as such lord of the manor. The demesne lands are 325
acres, or thereabouts, producing, with the manerial profits (as calculated in 1783), an annual revenue of 8261. 4s. (fn. 8) The reserved
rent to the prebendary is 28l. per annum. The lord of the manor
holds a court-leet, and court-baron.
Earl of Leicester.
The ancient manor-house was pulled down in 1695, and the site
let upon building leases by virtue of a licence from the prebendary
of Newington, and the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, for that purpose (fn. 9) . Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charter-house, resided occasionally in this mansion, after he married Mr. Dudley's widow (fn. 10) .
I think it probable that, previously to her second marriage, she let
it to the Earl of Leicester, a relation of her former husband. The
arms of Dudley, with an Earl's coronet, and the order of the garter,
were taken some time ago from a house on the site of the manerial
residence, and are now in the possession of James Brown, Esq. of
Newington. As an additional confirmation of the conjecture that
the Earl of Leicester resided at Newington, it may be mentioned
that a servant of his lady, the Countess of Essex, was buried there,
Oct. 24, 1582 (fn. 11) . Mr. Gunston, during the short time he possessed
this manor, built a new house at a very considerable expence, and
died just as it was finished (fn. 12) , which occasioned a funeral poem by
Dr. Watts, published in his Horæ Lyricæ. This eminent divine
spent the latter part of his life in Lady Abney's house at Newington,
and died there on the 25th of November 1748 (fn. 13) . This house,
though no part of the demesnes, has continued to be the manerial
Eminent inhabitants. Daniel Desoe. Anderson.
John Howard. Thomas Cooke, a singular character.
Among the eminent and remarkable inhabitants of this place, who
will not be elsewhere noticed, may be mentioned the celebrated
Daniel Defoe, who resided here about the year 1710 (fn. 14) ; Anderson,
the commercial writer (fn. 15) ; James Burgh, author of political disquisitions and other works; Thomas Day, author of Sandford
and Merton, and other publications (fn. 16) ; and the late celebrated
John Howard (fn. 17) . To these may be added, Thomas Cooke, Esq.
a very eccentric character, of whom, as his name is not so well
known, it may be necessary to say a few words. During his residence at Constantinople as a merchant, he contributed in a very
munisicent manner to the relief of Charles XII. King of Sweden,
then a prisoner in Turkey, and raised a large sum towards his liberation, by a scheme of exporting copper from Sweden, for which
he procured the King's order (fn. 18) . His connection with this parish
was occasioned by his intermarriage with one of Sir Nathaniel
Gould's daughters (fn. 19) . He resided at Newington from the time of
his return to England till his death, which happened on the 12th of
August 1752. In the month of February preceding, he sent a note
of 1000 l. to the governors of the bank, requesting that it might be
distributed among the clerks in the proportion of a guinea for every
year that each person had been in their service (fn. 20) . Mr. Cooke was
buried, pursuant to his will, near Morden college on Blackheath.
His corpse was placed upright in the ground, covered only with a
winding sheet; the coffin in which it was conveyed to the place of
interment was left for the first pensioner it would sit. His funeral was
attended by twelve poor men, members of a club at Newington; to each
of whom he bequeathed a guinea and a suit of clothes, on condition of
keeping himself sober. If any one transgressed this condition he was
to forfeit his legacy, and only receive 2 s. 6 d. for his day's work (fn. 21) .
The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, consists of a chancel,
nave, and two aisles. It was repaired, or (as Stow says) "rather new
"builded," in 1562, by William Patten, Esq. lessee of the manor.
Over the north door is the date, with these words, Ab alto. Over
the door of a chapel on the same side are Mr. Patten's arms and
initials. The church was considerably enlarged in 1716 and in
1723 (fn. 23) .
John Dudley's monument.
On the south wall of the chancel is a marble monument, supported by pillars of the Corinthian order, to the memory of John
Dudley, Esq. (fn. 24) , who died in 1580. His effigies (in armour), and
that of his wife in the dress then worn, are represented in kneeling
attitudes. Underneath are some Latin verses, for which the writer
was paid 10s. as appears by the roll of Mr. Dudley's funeral expences (fn. 25) .
Monument of the Hartopps and Hurlocks.
On the north wall of the chancel is a very handsome monument
(by Banks) to the memory of Sir John Hartopp, Bart. who died
anno 1762; Sarah Lady Hartopp, 1730; Joseph Hurlock, Esq. (fn. 26) ,
1793, and his wife Sarah (daughter of Sir John Hartopp), 1766.
This monument, which is ornamented with an elegant female figure,
of white marble, reclining on an urn, was put up at the expence of
Anne, wife of Edmund Craddock Hartopp of Four-oaks Hall in
Warwickshire, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Hurlock, and sole
heiress of the (Newington branch of the) Hartopps. On the chancel
floor are the tombs of John Stevens, citizen and stationer, 1726;
John Taylor, 1729; his wife Judith, 1713; their son James, 1713;
John Kirkman, 1765; and his sister Anne Neal, 1768. In the
chancel-window are the arms of the Drapers' Company.
John Taverner's monument.
On the east wall of the north aisle is the monument of John Taverner (fn. 27) , rector of Newington, with the following inscription:
Joannes Taverner, natus in comitatu Hertfordiensi, familiâ honestâ, parentibus piis et probis. A primâ infantiâ literis operam
dedit; primó sub privato magistro; dein Westmonasterii institutus, Cantabrigiæ studuit per annos 8, ubi item Magisterii gradum
suscepit. Dein Oxonii per annos 5. Posteaque Johanni King
Epo. Lon. a libellis per annos 9, et unus prælectorum in collegio
Gresham. Lon. per annos 28. Demumq sacris ordinibus susceptis, vicarius de Tillingham in com. Essex, an. 5. Et postremúm hujus ecclesiæ rector an. 9. Híc expleto curriculo subtus sepultus fœlicem resurrectionem sperat. Nat. anno 1584. Denatus
anno 1638. Vitam duxit cœlibem."
"Vixi nec quicquam vel vitæ nomine dignum
Sensi, vel quare longa petenda foret.
"Híc situs est qui res divinas calluit, artes
Omnes cui lingua et plurima et una fuit.
"Qui bene judicio purum solidavit acumen,
Famam ultra prudens, ac sine teste pius.
"Qui potuit citius quam quærere munus obire,
Seu quod civilis seu toga docta regit.
"Mens humilis suit in sublimi corpore; pectus
Sincerum, donans dextera, penna volans.
"Pulcher erat primo, cum vir virtute venustus,
In sene mors vixit, dormit is, illa fuit.
"Dies mei velociores."
On the north wall are the monuments of William Frohock (fn. 28) ,
corn-factor, 1764; Silvester Cole Frohock, vintner, 1767; and a
neat marble tablet to the memory of Mr. Stephen Tyers (fn. 29) , 1790, and
Anne his wife, 1792; "they lived 57 years together in conjugal felicity." On the west wall is the monument of Gideon Guichenett,
merchant, 1759. On the floor are the tombs of Captain Edward Allanson, 1723; Martha, wife of Mr. Samuel Wathen, and daughter of
Mrs. Susan Allanson, 1747; Dame Sarah Hartopp, daughter of Sir
Joseph Woolfe, 1730; Sir John Hartopp, Bart. 1762; Mrs. Anne
Hartopp, 1764; Mr. John White, 1731; Elizabeth Smith, daughter
of John and Lydia White, 1754; Mr. Thomas Heacock, apothecary,
1744; Miss Mary Cooke, daughter of Thomas Cooke, Esq. 1749;
Mrs. Elizabeth Cooke, 1763; Mr. Edmund Hammond, 1759; Mrs.
Sarah Cheselden, 1770; and Anna Maria, wife of Robert Thomas,
On the south wall of the nave is a monument to the memory of
Thomas Parsons (fn. 30) , Esq. citizen of London, 1784; Anne Hamill,
widow, his daughter; and Mary Baunton, widow, another daughter.
The monument was put up by Jane, wife of Thomas Trundle, a
third daughter. On the floor is the tomb of Dr. Samuel Wright,
with the following inscription: "M. S. V. R. Samuelis Wright,
S. T. P. qui agro Eboracensi ortus ac disciplinis liberalibus bene
institutus, sacrum suum munus rure suscepit, deinde Londinum
prosectus, brevi temporis spatio ita se probavit, ut ecclesiæ Presbyterianæ pastor eligeretur, cui per annos octo et triginta pari diligentiâ et fælicitate præfuit, multigenæ autem doctrinæ eas naturæ dotes habuit adjunctas, ut in sacris administrandis (quæ
summo decore semper præstabat), mentes auditorum attentas reddere sibique facilé conciliare posset; ad recondita etiam Sacrarum
literarum sensa eruenda eximiâ facultate præditus erat, vitæque
Christianæ virtutibus conspicuus. At defessus tandem labore, acerbisque doloribus quos fortiter pertulit, corpus hic sepeliri jubens, in
Christo placidé obdormivit; Non. April, A. D. 1746, æt. suæ 64."
In the nave are the tombs also of John Leigh (son of John Leigh
by Talbot, daughter of Benjamin Pigott), 1652; and Mrs. Sophia
Standerwick (grand-daughter of Daniel Defoe), who died Oct. 26,
1787, aged 62.
In the christening pew is the tomb of Thomas Phipps, 1742; and
in the belfry those of James Porter, Gent. 1693, and Mr. Job Edwards, 1720.
Weever mentions a tomb in Newington church to the memory of
Matilda, wife of John Ekington, cofferer of the houshold to Edward IV. ob. 1473. Strype mentions the tomb of John Stocker, Esq.
buried in the chapel of St. Thomas at Stoke-Newington, anno 1500.
Alderman Pickett's family tomb.
Melancholy sate of Miss Pickett.
Various tombs in the church-yard.
The most remarkable tomb in the church-yard is that of Alderman
Pickett's family. It was erected in memory of his father Mr. William
Pickett, 1745; and Anne his mother, 1750. It commemorates also
the melancholy and untimely fate of the Alderman's daughter Elizabeth, who died Dec. 11, 1781, "in consequence of her cloaths taking
fire the preceding evening." The inscription adds, "Reader, if
ever you should witness such an afflicting scene, recollect, that the
only method to extinguish the flame is to stisle it by an immediate
covering." There are tombs also to the memory of Mr. John
Ebborne, 1707; Samuel Lane, citizen of London, 1708; Anne,
his sister, wife of John Manship, Esq. 1734; John Manship, Esq.
1749; Elizabeth (Aubrey), wife of Robert Cassills, 1724; John
Newman, Gent. 1729; his niece Anne, wife of John Shaw, 1729;
John Phillpot, Gent. 1730; Mary, widow of James Brown, M.D.
1733; Zechariah Allen, apothecary, 1735; Joanna, daughter of
William Walton, and widow of Mr. John Forbes (fn. 31) , 1739; John
Shuckburgh, Gent. 1739; Mary, his relict, afterwards the wife of
Elias Brownsord, 1762; Mr. Samuel Martin, 1743; Mr. Francis
Grizwell, 1745; Mr. John Derrick Garnum, apothecary, 1746;
Mr. George Atkinson, 1747; Rhoda, wife of the Rev. Ralph
Thoresby, 1751; Ralph Thoresby, rector of Newington, (son of the
celebrated antiquary,) 1763; John Collins, Gent. 1751; John Jabez
Hurst, his son in law, 1770; Robert Berkley, Gent. 1754; Mary,
his wife (daughter of the Rev. Richard Sear), 1767; Mr. John
Conway, 1754; Mr. Gabriel Beeching Galloway, 1755; Mrs.
Elizabeth Turner, 1756; Mrs. Hannah Bentley, 1757; Mrs. Elizabeth Bentley, 1767; Mr. Hugh Robinson, 1758; Susanna, wife
of William Dampier, apothecary, 1763; Alexander Burnett, Gent.
1768; Mr. Spencer Morris, 1768; Mary, his wife (daughter of
David Rebotier), 1748; Elizabeth, his daughter (wife of Mr. John
Starr), 1777; Herman Lewis, Esq. 1771; Mr. Samuel Deverell,
of Minchinhampton in Gloucestershire, 1772; Mrs. Anne Bell,
1773; Mr. John Macbean, 1774; Philip Garbrand, Esq. 1774;
Philip Nesbitt, Gent. 1775; Mary, wife of the Rev. Meredith
Townsend, 1776; Mr. John Slater, 1776; Mr. Philip Grafton,
1778; Mary, his wife, 1775; Mr. Charles Rebotier, 1778; Magdalen, his wife (daughter of Henry Guinand), 1776; Mrs. Jane
Guinand, 1789; Sarah, wife of the Rev. William Neale, rector of
Essindon and Bayford, Herts, 1781; William Lawrie, merchant,
1781; Mr. John Wallbank, 1784; Mr. William Weston, 1785;
James Brown, Esq. 1788; Peter Salleé, 1788; Sarah, wife of
Capt. Fielder Dorset, 1792; and William Dampier, apothecary,
The church of this place is a rectory in the peculiar jurisdiction
of the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, and in the patronage of the
prebendary of Newington (fn. 32) . The rector has a glebe of 18 acres,
being the only freehold land in the parish (fn. 33) . The rectory was
valued at 10 marks per ann. in 1366 (fn. 34) , and in 1650 at 54l. 17s. (fn. 35) ;
in the king's books it is rated at 10l.
Dr. Sidrach Simpson, rector of Newington, who died anno 1704,
gave to the use of his successors a copyhold messuage and about three
acres of land in Newington, now let at 60 l. per annum. His successor Dr. Millington, who died in 1728, bequeathed two-thirds of
the profits of certain lands in Acton (now about 24l. per annum (fn. 36) )
to the rector of this parish for the time being, as an encouragement for his reading public prayers every day in the parish
Rectors. John Taverner.
John Taverner, rector of this parish from 1629 to 1638, had
been professor of music in Gresham college (fn. 36) .
Thomas Manton, who was appointed to this living by the committee for plundered ministers on the sequestration of William Heath,
was, if we may believe Wood's account, a complete vicar of Bray.
At first he was a zealous presbyterian, took the covenant, and frequently preached before the long parliament. When the independents were in power he joined their party; made a flattering speech
to Oliver Cromwell when he took upon him the title of Protector;
and at his son's inauguration officiated as prelate of the protectorate,
said prayers, and gave him his blessing. At the Restoration he so far
ingratiated himself with Charles II. that he made him one of his
chaplains; and is said to have designed him a deanery, had he complied with the act of uniformity (fn. 37) . Dr. Manton died Oct. 18, 1677,
and was buried at Newington. His works were very voluminous,
consisting chiefly of sermons and expositions of scripture. He resigned this rectory in 1656, when the parishioners proceeded to the
election of another minister; but it was nearly a year before any
successor was settled: at length Daniel Bull was unanimously chosen (fn. 38) ,
and received his appointment from the lord protector November 25,
1657 (fn. 39) .
It appears that Heath was not reinstated before 1662 (fn. 40) , when it is
probable that Bull was ejected in consequence of the act of uniformity. The present rector is William Cooke, D. D. Provost of
King's College in Cambridge, and Dean of Ely. He succeeded
William Henry Nicolls in this rectory anno 1767. The present
lecturer is Thomas Sheppard, M. A.
Presbyterian meeting-house at Newington-green, and its pastors.
The presbyterian meeting-house on Newington-green was built in
1708 (fn. 41) . Richard Biscoe, minister there till the year 1727, conformed to the church of England, and preached the sermons at
Boyle's lectures, which he digested afterwards in a work intituled,
The History of the Acts of the Apostles. Mr. Loveden, a subsequent minister at Newington, left that place in 1738, and conformed
to the church. He published a volume of sermons in 8vo. The
next minister was Hugh Worthington, M. A. author of several
charges and sermons. The late celebrated Dr. Price was afterwards,
for several years, minister at Newington-green; whilst he resided
there, he was married in Newington-church to Mary Blundell (by
banns) June 16, 1757. In 1770, Dr. Thomas Amory, an eminent
divine of this persuasion, and a copious writer, came as morning
preacher. He died in 1774. The present ministers are, Joseph
Towers, LL. D. and the Rev. James Lindsay.
Diffenting meeting-house at Newington.
There is another meeting-house belonging to the Diffenters at
Stoke-Newington. Martin Tomkins, minister at this place, was dismissed for Arianism, about the year 1718, and published his case.
He published also a work called "Jesus Christ the Mediator," and
some other tracts. He is spoken of in Toulmin's preface to his new
edition of Neale's History of the Puritans. The present minister is
The earliest date of the parish register is 1559.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The disproportion of the burials to the baptisms, is partly to be
attributed to the number of Diffenters who live in this place, being
about one-fifth of the inhabitants (fn. 42) , and partly to the frequent interment of non-parishioners. The present number of houses is about
200. That part of Newington which lies on the east side of the
London road is in the parish of Hackney.
In 1563, being a plague year, there were 13 burials at Newington; the average was then about four. In 1593, there were 34
burials, the average being nearly the same; in 1603, 65, the
average being under 10; in 1625, 52; 40 persons buried that
year died of the plague, and their names are marked in the
register with a red cross; the average at that period was about 10.
In 1665, only 26 burials are entered, but it is clear that the register
for that year is inaccurate; for it appears by the minutes of the
vestry (fn. 43) , that the plague was very fatal at Newington. Perhaps
many persons were buried in the fields, and therefore not entered
in the register.
Extracts from the Register.
Countess of Bath.
"My lady of Bath, died Dec. 20, 1561." Margaret, daughter
of John Donington, Esq. married first to Sir Richard Long, Knt.
and afterwards to John Bourchier, Earl of Bath, who died in
1560 (fn. 44) .
Family of Dudley.
"Anne, daughter of John Dudley, Esq. born Feb. 12, and christened Feb. 24, 1574–5; John Dudley, Esq. buried Jan. 12, 1580–1."
Son of the Hon. Thomas Dudley, by Sarah, daughter and co-heir of
Lancelot Thirkeld, of Yeanwith in Westmorland. The said Thomas
was eldest son of Edmund Lord Dudley, by his second wife, and
grandson of Sir John Sutton, Lord Dudley (fn. 45) , K. G. Anne, daughter
of John Dudley, married Sir Francis Popham, as before mentioned (fn. 46) .
Countess of Essex, and Earl of Leicester.
"Foulke Thomas, servant to the Countess of Essex, buried Oct.
24, 1582." This Countess was widow of Walter Devereux, Earl
of Essex, who died in 1576, not without suspicion of poison from
the hands of the Earl of Leicester, who soon afterwards married his
widow (fn. 48) .
Edward Earl of Oxford.
Henry Earl of Oxford.
"Henry Viscount Bulbeck, sonne to the right honourable Edward Vere, Earle of Oxford, was borne the 24th of Feb. 1592–3,
and christened the 31 day of March." Edward Earl of Oxford,
a distinguished wit in the court of Queen Elizabeth, resided some
years at Newington, where, as Norden says, he had a very proper
house. His son Henry succeeded to the titles, but inherited a very
small portion of his ancestors' estates; his father having squandered
away the greater part of them to vex Lord Burleigh, whose daughter
he had married. The offence, which was thus strangely resented,
was a refusal on the Lord Treasurer's part, to exert his interest in
favour of his son-in-law's friend, the Duke of Norfolk (fn. 49) . It is probable, that some visit of Queen Elizabeth to the Earl of Oxford at
this place, or to the Earl of Leicester, who seems to have resided
here also, gave name to a walk, still called Queen Elizabeth's walk,
and occasioned the tradition of her having had a palace at Newington, for which there is not the least foundation. Henry Earl of
Oxford, whose birth is here recorded, died without issue at the siege
of Breda, in 1625 (fn. 50) .
Lord Grey of Wilton.
"William Grey, brother of the Ld Grey, buried Aug. 29, 1594."
Second son of William Lord Grey, and brother of Arthur Lord.
Grey of Wilton, who died the preceding year in the Tower, having
been attainted of high treason for a conspiracy with Sir Walter
Raleigh (fn. 51) .
"William Basset, Esq. and Judith Boothby (fn. 52) , married May 11,
"Edward Broadhurst, servant to Sr Richard Drury, receiving his
death's wound in fight at Stamford-hill, died at the Wyne-tavern,
and was buried the 26 of Feb. 1599."
Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Sutton, Esq. (fn. 53) , to whom the rialtie
and patronage of this parish (fn. 54) did belonge, was buried the 17 of
Mary, the daughter of Sr George Savell, Knt. (fn. 55) was christened
the 23d day of March 1602–3."
George Jarmyn, the kinsman of Sr Robert Jarmyn, buried
May 9, 1603."
Thomas Chambers, a gentleman of the Temple, was killed in
sight at Stamford-hill, and buried the 13th of July 1606."
Vernon, Lord of Powys.
Sir William Varnam, called the Ld of Powys, died at Mrs More,
and was buried the 27 of July 1606." Collins says, that Thomas
Vernon of Stocksey, by his wife Anne, daughter and co-heir of
John Ludlow, by his wife Elizabeth Graye, daughter and sole heir
of Richard Lord of Powis, had a son (Henry) who stiled himself
Lord Powis, and died without issue in 1606 (fn. 56) .
Sr John Burlacy, Knt, and Alice Ravis, widow (fn. 57) , married
Oct. 1, 1610."
George Straiton, one of my Lo. Gordon's family, was buried
the first of September in the year 1612."
Family of Sherard.
Bennet, the sonne of Mr. William Shererd, was christened
Dec. 18, 1621. Emlyn, son of Sr William Sherard, Knt, Nov. 21,
1622; Philip, Nov. 17, 1623." William Sherard was knighted
at Oatlands, July 3, 1622. In the year 1627 he was created Baron
Sherard of Leitrim in Ireland. His son Bennet succeeded to that
title. Philip was ancestor to the present Earl of Harborough.
"Edward Ld Mandeville, Baron of Kimbolton (fn. 58) , and Lady Anne
Rich, daughter to the Earle of Warwick, married July 1, 1626."
"Sr Archibald Douglas, Knt
(fn. 59) , and Lady Eleanor Davies, widow,
married Mar. 31, 1627."
"Abraham Raynardson (fn. 60) , and Eleanor Wynne, married Aug. 2,
Lord Chief Justice Popham.
Sir Francis Popham.
Col. Alexander Popham.
"Sr Francis Popham, Knt, buried Aug. 15, 1624." Son of Sr
John Popham, Lord Chief Justice of the Queen's Bench, who resided at Newington (fn. 61) . Sir Francis sat in the last parliament of Queen
Elizabeth, and in all those of King James and Charles I. He was a
zealous opposer of King Charles; to whom he became so obnoxious,
that he was among those excepted out of the general pardon offered
by that prince. Sir Francis married Anne, only daughter of John
Dudley, Esq. of this place. His second son Alexander was a man
of considerable note during the civil war. He sat in most of the
parliaments during that period; was a commissioner for martial law
in 1644, one of the council of state in 1649, a member of Cromwell's house of lords, in the council of state again in 1659 and
1660, and in the former year one of the army committee. At the
Restoration he not only made his peace, but was much caressed by
Charles II. who visited him at his seat in Wiltshire during one of his
progresses. Col. Popham died anno 1669, and was buried at Chilton
Foliot in Wilts (fn. 62) . Many entries relating to the Popham family occur in the parish register at Newington (fn. 63) .
"Lieut. Col. Masley was buried the 12 of September, in the
year 1649." I believe this is the same person who was an active
officer for the parliament, and governor of Gloucester.
Benoni, the son of Colonel John Lilburn, his birth-day on the
7th of April, in the year of our Lord God 1654." Lilbourn's
principal residence was at Eltham, where he died in the month of
August 1657 (fn. 63) .
William, son of John Oglander, Esq. (fn. 64) baptized Feb. 22, 1664,
buried Mar. 9."
Family of Hartopp, Bart.
Charles Hartopp, Esq. the son of Sr John Hartopp, Knt.
Barannet, was borne in the parish of Stoke-Newington, the
fifth day of June 1672." Sir John Hartopp, of Freathby,
Leicestershire, Bart. married Elizabeth, daughter of General Fleetwood. He died anno 1722, aged 85; and was buried at StokeNewington, April 11: his wife Elizabeth, Nov. 26, 1711; his son,
Sir John, in whom the title became extinct, Jan. 28, 1762. Numerous entries relating to the Hartopp family occur in the parish
register (fn. 65) .
"Bridget Fleetwood, buried Sep. 5, 1681." The eldest daughter
of Oliver Cromwell. She was first married to General Ireton, and
after his death to Charles Fleetwood, of Armingland-hall in Norfolk,
a very distinguished character during the protectorate of his father-in-law. He was Lord Deputy of Ireland from 1651 to 1654. After
the death of Cromwell he became head of the Republican party
in the army, and may be said to have possessed, for a short time,
the supreme authority. Upon the Restoration, he was fortunate
enough, through the interest, as it is said, of Lord Litchfield (fn. 66) , to
escape with his life and liberty, being permitted to retire to his house
at Stoke-Newington, where he spent the remainder of his days in
privacy among his friends (fn. 67) . Fleetwood, and his son-in-law Sir
John Hartopp, were heavily fined for nonconformity in the reign of
James II. (fn. 68) General Fleetwood died in 1692, and was buried in
Bunhill-fields. His house at Newington was inhabited for many
years by his descendants the Hartopps and Hurlocks. It is now a
ladies' boading-school, in the occupation of Mrs. Crisp.
Marriage of Mary Fleet-wood.
Mr Nathaniel Carter, of Yearmouth, and Mrs Mary Fleetwood,
married Feb. 21, 1677–8." Noble says, that Mary Fleetwood
was daughter of Bridget Cromwell, by her first husband, and sup went by the name of Fleetwood, because it was less
obnoxious than that of Ireton (fn. 69) . But is it not more probable, unless there is positive evidence to the contrary, that she was the
daughter of Fleetwood? Supposing it so, she might have been 25
years of age at the time of her marriage; if she was Ireton's daughter, she must have been some years older. Many other entries relating to the Fleetwood family occur in the parish register, as may
be seen in the copious pedigrees, printed in the Bibliotheca Topographica Britannica.
Sir Charles Lee, Knt. of Edmonton, and the Hon. Sarah Viscountess Corbett (fn. 70) , of Buckinghamshire, married Dec. 18, 1679."
John, son of Peter Monamy (fn. 71) , buried Mar. 31, 1680."
Robert, Ld Viscount of Arbuthnot, in the kingdom of Scotland,
bachelor, and the Lady Anne Southerland, maiden, daughter of
George Southerland, Erle in Scotland, were married by licence
the 3d of May, in the year 1683."
Joseph (fn. 72) , son of Mr Sam1 Danvers, baptized Jan. 5, 1687–8."
Sr John Baden, was buried Jan. 1688–9."
Family of St. John, Bt.
Elizabeth, daughter of Francis St. John, Esq. (fn. 73) and Mary his
wife (fn. 74) , baptized June 22, 1689; Walter, their son, Jan. 21,
Sr Thomas Powell, Bart. (fn. 75) and Judith Herbert, married July 27,
"The Lady Abigail Harrington, buried Aug. 31, 1709."
Dr. Samuel Wright.
"Samuel Wright, D. D. buried April 10, 1746." Dr. Wright,
son of Mr. James Wright, a nonconformist minister at Redford in
Nottinghamshire, was a very eminent divine among the Presbyterians.
He was many years pastor of a congregation in Blackfriars, and afterwards at the meeting-house in Carter-lane, which was built for
him, and opened by him in 1734 (fn. 76) . He published a great number
of single sermons on various subjects, and a treatise on the New
Birth, which went through 15 editions in his life-time. Dr. Wright
is said to have written the song, beginning "Happy hour all hours
excelling." As a preacher, he was remarkable for elocution and
melody of voice. He died at his house at Newington-green, on
the 3d of April 1746. His epitaph was written by Dr. Obadiah
Hughes (fn. 77) .
"John Sinclair (fn. 78) and Elizabeth Wilmer, married May 7,
"The Rt Hon. Sr John Shelly, Bart. and M. P. for Shoreham,
Treasurer of the Household, and of the Privy Council, and Elizabeth Woodcock (daughter of Edward Woodcock, Esq.) married
(by special licence) Feb. 14, 1775."
"James Brown, Esq. aged 79, buried Dec. 31, 1788." Mr.
Brown was the last survivor of the merchants who established the
trade through Russia to Persia in 1741. From a long residence in
Eastern countries, he acquired great knowledge in their languages,
which enabled him to compile a very copious Persian Dictionary,
accompanied with a Grammar, the manuscript of which is now in
the possession of his son James Brown, Esq. of Stoke-Newington.
Mr. Brown published a translation of two Orations of Isocrates (without his name), and may be considered as a great benefactor to the
public, by first starting the idea of a directory to tradesmen, &c. in
London (about the year 1732). He was at considerable pains in arranging the materials for it, which he gave to Mr. Henry Kent, a
printer, who made a fortune by the publication (fn. 79) .
Instances of Longevity.
"Margaret Forster, widow, of the age of 103 years, or thereabouts, was buried the 21 of Sept. in the year 1603."
"Thomas Marlton, Gent. aged 93, buried Mar. 3, 1786."
"Richard Gwinett, of Hackney parish, aged 92, buried Dec. 7,
"Mary Massinghall, aged 90, Dec. 23, 1789."
"Thomas Smith, labourer, aged 90, Jan. 19, 1793."
In the year 1664, Thomas Stock, Esq. gave by will the rent of a
house at Newington (fn. 80) , towards educating five poor children. A regular charity-school was established before the year 1729, when
Thomas Thompson, Gent. bequeathed to it a rent-charge of 2l. 2s.
per annum, during the continuance of a lease which expires in
1809. George Green, Esq. by his will, bearing date 1762, and
proved in 1764, gave an annuity of 50s. to the school. Miss Mary
Hammond, by her will, bearing date 1772, and proved in 1774,
gave the sum of 100l. producing now 3l. 6s. per annum. Sarah
Bowles, anno 1788, bequeathed an annuity of 2l. 2s. (fn. 81) Mr. John
Haines, by his will, dated 1792, and proved in 1794, gave the sum
of 20 guineas. Six pounds per ann. are paid to this school by the
trustees under the will of Mr. John Newman (fn. 82) . These are all its
endowments; with which, aided by voluntary contributions and
collections at charity sermons, 15 boys and 12 girls are clothed and
educated. The bequests of George Green and Mary Hammond are
to be appropriated to the apprenticing poor children, if the charityschool should be discontinued.
Fourteen poor girls are clothed and educated in another school
supported by Dissenters.
It appears by the chantry-roll at the Augmentation-office (which
contains an account of all bequests for charities, obits, &c. previously
to the first year of Edward VI.), that the parish of Newington was
possessed of three acres of land, and one of wood, for the use of the
poor. The donor's name is not mentioned (fn. 83) . This land was let in
1654, for seven years, at the rent of 61. per ann. (fn. 84) ; in 1710, on a lease
of 99 years, at 81. The year preceding this lease, four houses were
built upon it near the London road, for the reception of some of
the poor Palatines who fled to England, as an asylum, in the month
of June 1709 (fn. 85) . These houses, with some others adjoining, still go
by the name of the Palatine houses.
Benefactions to the poor in money.
William Stephens, Gent. by his will, bearing date 1638, and
proved in 1639, gave 10l. as a stock for the poor, and a rent-charge
of 5l. issuing out of his lands in Hornsey, to be distributed yearly
at Christmas. Thomas Stock, before-mentioned, gave the rent of
two houses (fn. 85) to the poor, and a third house toward bringing the
New River through the street, if that work should be completed
within three years, otherwise the rent to be appropriated to
keeping the other houses in repair. This (third) house now belongs to the parish, and is occupied by poor families, pursuant to
an order of the vestry.
George Green, Esq. gave the remainder of the interest of 100l.
(after paying 50 s. to the charity-school) to be distributed among
the poor inhabitants, as their necessities should require; Mrs. Elizabeth Abney, anno 1782, bequeathed the sum of 100l. to the poor;
John Haines, before-mentioned, bequeathed 20 l.
Benefactions for bread.
Sidrach Simpson, D. D. rector of Newington, by his will, anno
1704, bequeathed an annuity of 50s. (charged upon a house and
land which he left to his successors), to be given to the poor in bread;
Elizabeth Baker, anno 1716, gave the interest of 50l. to buy six
twopenny loaves weekly for six poor widows. Mr. John Stevens,
by his will, dated 1725, and proved in 1727, gave the interest
of 10l. for bread. George Green, above-mentioned, gave a rentcharge of 20s. per annum; and Sarah Bowles, anno 1788, an
annuity of 2l. 12s. for the same purpose. The last-mentioned
donor directed the residue of the interest of 250l. 3 per cent.
(after paying other benefactions to this and another parish, to the
amount of 61. 16s.) to be laid out in the purchase of yarn stockings
for the poor.