Quantity of land.
The name of this place was anciently written Cingeford (fn. 1) , which
signifies the King's Ford. It lies in the hundred of Waltham,
at the distance of nine miles from Shoreditch church, and nine
miles seven surlongs from Whitechapel. The parish is bounded by
Loughton and Chigwell on the east; Woodford on the south-east;
Waltham Abbey on the north; and on the west, south-west, and
north-west, by the river Lee, which separates it from Enfield,
Edmonton, and Tottenham in Middlesex. It contains about 2100
acres of land, of which about 550 are arable; 1330 grass (fn. 2) ; and
about 220 wood. The soil is for the most part a strong clay.
This parish pays the sum of 384l. 16s. to the land-tax, which, in
the year 1795, was at the rate of about 2s. 6d. in the pound.
Manors. Chingford-St. Paul's.
From the earliest times there have been two manors in this parish,
one of which belonged to the church of St. Paul's, before the
Norman Conquest (fn. 3) . The dean and chapter surrendered it to
Henry VIII. in 1544 (fn. 4) . In 1551, King Edward VI. granted this
manor to Sir Thomas Darcy (fn. 5) , who surrendered it to the crown
again the next year (fn. 6) . In 1553, it was granted to Susan, widow of
Thomas Tonge, Clarencieux King of Arms (fn. 7) . Her nephew Humphrey White sold it, in 1566, to Joan Lee or Leigh, widow (fn. 8) , whose
descendant Edward Leigh, Esq. in 1709, aliened it to Robert Snell,
Esq. (fn. 9) , barrister at law, whose nephew John Snell, Esq. of Brill in
Buckinghamshire is the present proprietor. This manor enjoys
exemption from the forest laws, and all the privileges granted to the
dean and chapter of St. Paul's (fn. 10) .
Chingford-hall, the manor-house, is situated south-west of the
church, on the borders of the marsh. It is now in the occupation
of John Temple, Esq. a lieutenant in the navy.
Manor of Chingford Comitis.
The manor of Chingford Comitis was, when the survey of
Doomsday was taken (fn. 11) , held by Orgar the thane under Robert
Gernon. About the year 1188, it was the property of Fulbert de
Dover. In the reign of Henry II. Roese, only daughter and heir of
Richard de Dover (fn. 12) , (great grandson of Fulbert,) married Richard,
the natural son of King John, by whom she had two daughters,
coheirs. Isabel the second brought this estate, in marriage, to David
Strathbolgi, Earl of Athol, whose son and successor John was executed for his adherence to Robert de Brus. His estates being
forfeited to the crown, this manor was granted to Ralph de
Monthermer, Earl of Gloucester. The Earl of Athol's son David
compounded with the Earl of Gloucester for this estate, and had a
son of his own name, who presented to the living of Chingford in
1325 (fn. 13) . Giles de Badlesmere died seised of this manor in the year
1338 (fn. 14) . Margery his eldest sister and coheir brought it in marriage
to William Lord Roos (fn. 15) . On the attainder of Thomas Lord Roos
in 1461, King Edward IV. gave the manor of Chingford to Thomas Colte and his heirs male (fn. 16) ; afterwards in fee to Henry
Bourchier, Earl of Essex, who died seised of it in 1483 (fn. 17) . Before
the year 1490, it was restored to the Roos family (fn. 18) , in which it
continued till the year 1542, when Thomas Earl of Rutland gave
it to King Henry VIII. in exchange for other lands (fn. 19) . It was
granted, in 1553, to Susan Tonge, widow (fn. 20) , whose nephew, in
1571, aliened it to William Jeffreyson (fn. 21) : by him it was conveyed to
John Branch, who died seised of it in 1588 (fn. 22) . Mary, one of his
sisters and coheirs, brought this estate in marriage to William Udall,
whose son Henry sold it to Lancelot Bathurst (fn. 23) . It was purchased
of the Bathursts, in or about the year 1666, by Thomas Boothby,
Esq. (fn. 24) , in whose family it continued till the death of Robert
Boothby, Esq. in 1774, when it was inherited, under his will, by
his sister of the half-blood, Lydia daughter of Benjamin Moyer,
Esq. and wife of the late John Heathcote, Esq. M. P. for the county
of Rutland, who is the present proprietor, and lady of the manor.
An old mansion called Friday Hill (fn. 25) , about a mile east from the
church, has long been the manerial residence, and for many years the
seat of the Boothbys. It is now in the occupation of Charles
Hughes, Esq. a captain in the navy. It is probable that the ancient
site of the manor was at the house, where the courts are held, in the
forest. It is called Queen Elizabeth's Lodge, for no better reason,
perhaps, than many others in the neighbourhood of London.
Manor of Gowers and Buckerels, now called Pimps.
The manor-farm of Gowers and Buckerels, now called Pimps, is
supposed by Morant to have been the property of Alexander Bayloll,
who, in the reign of Edward I. held lands in Chingford (fn. 26) .
Henry VIII. in the year 1544, granted the manor and capital
messuage of Gowers and Buckerels, late parcel of the possessions of
George Monox, (with about 180 acres of land,) to Gilfred or Geffrey
Lukyn (fn. 27) . He immediately conveyed it to Roland Rampston (fn. 28) ,
whose grandson of the same name sold it, anno 1593, to John
Hare (fn. 29) . In 1598, Nicholas Hare, son of the last purchaser,
conveyed it to Nicholas Barnsley (fn. 30) , whose daughter and coheir
Susan married George Nodes, and had this manor as a part of her
portion. In the year 1631, Nodes sold it to Thomas Gundrey, Esq.
whose descendant of the same name conveyed it, anno 1729, to
Israel Hammond, Esq. It is now the property of Joseph Venour,
Esq. who married the only surviving daughter and heir (since
deceased) of James Hammond, Esq. son of Israel above-mentioned (fn. 31) .
The parish-church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a small
building of slint and stone, almost overgrown with ivy on the south
and east sides. It consists of a chancel, nave, and south aisle. At
the west end is a low square tower.
In the chancel are the monuments of Mary, wife of Robert Leigh,
Esq. and daughter of Henry Josselin of Torrells-hall in Essex (fn. 32) ,
1602; Sir Robert Leigh, her husband, 1612; Margaret, wife of
Robert Leigh, and daughter of Milo Branthwaite of Heathfield (fn. 33)
(Norf.), 1624; Sir Thomas Boothby, Bart. (fn. 34) , 1669; and Mary,
widow of Robert Snell, Esq. of Chingford-hall, daughter of Sir
Walter Clarges, Bart. 1781. On the floor are the tombs of Ann,
daughter of Robert Leigh, Esq. 1640; Margaret Leigh, 1644;
Robert Leigh, Esq. 1673; Elizabeth, wife of Edward Leigh, Esq.
and daughter of Sir Richard Stone, Knt. 1673; Edward Leigh,
Esq. 1691; (he married to his third wife Agnes, daughter of
Richard Kirkby, Esq. of Lancashire;) John Moxon, Gent. 1766;
and George Clarges, Esq. 1780.
On the north wall of the nave are the monuments of Sarah, wife
of Mr. Nicholas Pigot, 1670; and Anne, daughter of the Rev.
Christopher Sclater (fn. 35) , rector, 1749.
On the floor are the tombs of Jane, wife of Gabriel Gosson,
a French refugee, 1729; Henry Pope, Esq. 1729; and John
Gibbs, Gent. 1772.
Tomb of Robert Rampston.
In the south aisle (against the wall) is an inscription upon a brass
plate, to the memory of Robert Rampston, Yeoman of the Chamber to Edward IV., Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth; he left
benefactions to this, and some of the neighbouring parishes; and
died anno 1585. Underneath is an altar-tomb, covered with a
slab of black marble, on which are the effigies, in brass, of the said
Robert Rampston, and of Margaret his wife, who died in 1590.
Tombs in the church-yard.
In the church-yard are the tombs of Robert Boothby, Esq.
1733; Thomas Boothby, Esq. 1735; Mr. William Boothby, 1771;
George Boothby, Gent. 1774; Robert Boothby, Esq. of Friday
Hill, 1774; the Rev. Christopher Sclater, M. A. rector, 1737; and
William Knipe, citizen of London, 1747.
John Russel rector.
The church of Chingford is a rectory, in the diocese of London,
and deanery of Barking; the advowson has always been annexed to
the manor of Chingford Comitis, except for a short time, when it
was granted, with the other manor, to Sir Thomas Darcy (fn. 36) ; but it
does not appear that he ever presented. The rectory is valued, in
the King's books, at 14l. 5s. 5d. The commissioners appointed to
inquire into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, in 1650, reported
that the glebe of this rectory was worth 20l. per annum; the tithes
74l. George Byrom, D. D. was then rector (fn. 37) , put in by the parliament on the sequestration of John Russel, (author of "the Solemn
"League and Covenant discharged,") who was ejected in 1644 (fn. 38) .
Robert Plumme was presented to this living by Cromwell, in
1655 (fn. 39) ; and Thomas Witham, in 1657 (fn. 40) . At the Restoration,
Russel recovered possession of it, and enjoyed it till his death, in
1688 (fn. 41) . The present rector is Robert Lewis, M. A. instituted
Singular tenure of an estate said to be held under the rectory.
There is an estate in this parish called Brindwoods, held under the
rectory by the following singular tenure: "Upon every alienation,
the owner of the estate, with his wife, man-servant, and maidservant, each single on a horse, come to the parsonage, where
the owner does his homage and pays his relief, in the following
manner. He blows three blasts with his horn, and carries a
hawk on his fist, his servant has a greyhound in a slip, both for
the use of the rector that day. He receives a chicken for his
hawk, a peck of oats for his horse, and a loaf of bread for his
greyhound. They all dine; after which, the master blows three
blasts with his horn, and they depart (fn. 42) ." Morant says, that
this estate was then (1768) lately in the possession of Daniel Haddon of Braxted; but I have not been able to learn any thing either
of the estate or the custom, by inquiries made for me by the present
rector among his parishioners.
There is no register of baptisms or burials of an earlier date than
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
The present number of houses in Chingford is about 100.
Sir Charles Jones Wake, Bart. was married in Chingford church
to Mary Jackson, June 16, 1753.
Robert Rampston, Gent. who died in 1585, gave, by will, 2l.
per annum, to the poor of this parish. Thomas Boothby, Esq.
gave 3l. per annum, which is distributed weekly in bread. The
rent of an acre and a half, (let annually by auction to the best
bidder,) now 1l. 10s. is distributed also in bread.
A Sunday-school, and a day-school, in each of which about 20
children are educated, are supported by the voluntary contributions
of the inhabitants.