Quantity of land, and how occupied.
This place, which is also called Low Leyton, derives its name
from its situation on the river Ley or Lea. It lies in the
hundred of Becontree, at the distance of five miles from Shoreditch
church, and nearly the same distance from Whitechapel. The
parish is bounded on the north by Walthamstow; on the east by
Wanstead; on the south by Westham; on the west by the river
Lea, which separates it from Hackney in Middlesex. It contains
about 1700 acres, of which about 150 are marsh-land, 250 waste,
(in the forest of Waltham, commonly called Epping Forest,) 25
occupied by nurserymen and market gardeners: the remainder is
divided, in nearly an equal proportion, between meadow and arable.
About 200 acres of the arable are usually cropped with potatoes.
The soil, in some parts of the parish, is a gravel, abounding with sine
springs; in other parts, clay. This parish pays the sum of 458l. 12s.
to the land-tax, which is at the rate of about 2s. in the pound.
Various remains of Roman antiquities have been found within this
parish; particularly near the manor-house, where large foundations of
walls, intermixed with Roman bricks; an arched gateway, (about ten
feet high and six feet wide,) ornamented with mouldings, the top of
which is said to have been six feet under ground (fn. 1) ; and many coins
both consular and imperial. Several urns also have been dug up near
Ruckholt. It is evident that there was a Roman station here, and
some antiquaries have supposed it to have been the ancient Durolitum
or Durositum (fn. 2) ; but it must be observed, that the Itinerary of
Antoninus places Durolitum at the distance of fifteen miles from
London. In the year 1783, some workmen, employed in digging a
channel at the Temple-mills in this parish, found a stone coffin, in
which were several pieces of armour (fn. 3) .
In Edward the Confessor's reign, the principal estates in this parish
were held by Earl Harold, Tosti, Swein Suart, Alsi, &c.: at the
time of the Norman survey (fn. 4) , they were the property of Robert, son
of Corbutio; Ralph Baignard (fn. 4) , who held under the Abbey of Westminster; Peter de Valoines (fn. 5) ; Hugh Montfort, and Robert Gernon.
Manor of Leyton.
The manor of Leyton, or Leyton Grange, being the estate which
belonged to Robert de Corbutio, was given by Walter Corpechun
to the abbot and convent of Stratford Langthorn, and confirmed
by Ralph de Arderne, about the year 1200 (fn. 6) . After the dissolution
of religious houses it was granted, anno 1545, to Thomas Lord
Wriothesley, Lord Chancellor of England (fn. 7) ; who, the next day
after the date of his grant, conveyed it to Sir Ralph Warren (fn. 8) , whose
widow married Sir Thomas White (fn. 9) , and held this manor in dower
till her death; when it was inherited by Richard Warren, only son
of Sir Ralph, who died without issue in 1597 (fn. 10) ; the inheritance
then devolved to his sister Joan, wife to Sir Henry Williams, alias
Cromwell, whose son Oliver Cromwell, Esq. sold it, in 1599, to
Edward Ryder (fn. 11) . Sir William Ryder, who died in 1611, left two
daughters coheirs, Mary, wife of Sir Thomas Lake, and Susan,
wife of Sir Thomas Cæfar, Knight. It was purchased, in 1649,
by Capt. George Swanley, Bernard Ozler, and Robert Abbot (fn. 12) .
John Smith of London bought Abbot's share; and left it, by will,
to the poor of St. Swithin's, and St. Peter's, Eastgate, in the city of
Lincoln; for whose use it was vested in the mayor and six senior
aldermen of that city, together with the overseers of the parishes
above mentioned (fn. 13) . Captain Swanley's share, after the death of his
children without issue, became vested in Martha Lady Clutterbuck,
Sarah Lymbrey, and Mary, wife of John Hanson. Oliver Martin,
in 1696, bought Lady Clutterbuck's share, and sold it again, the next
year, to John Chinnall, who had previously purchased Mrs. Lymbrey's and Hanson's shares. In 1703, he sold the whole of what
had been Swanley's to David Gansell, Esq (fn. 14) . Ozler's share came
by inheritance to David Hopton; who, in 1709, sold it to Mr.
Gansell (fn. 15) . Two-thirds of the manor, being thus vested in him, were
inherited by his son the late General Gansell, whose heirs sold
them, in 1783, to John Pardoe, Esq. (fn. 16) , the present proprietor; who,
in the year 1794, purchased of the corporation of Lincoln the other
share, belonging to the poor of St. Swithin's and St. Peter's, Eastgate,
in that city. This purchase was confirmed by an act of parliament.
Edward Ryder, Esq. sold the manor-house of Leyton, in the year
1610, to Anthony Holmead (fn. 17) . A mansion, which was afterwards
made the manerial residence, was purchased of the Gansells by Sir
John Strange, Master of the Rolls. After his death, it was bought
by Thomas Bladen, Esq., whose heirs sold it to Nathaniel Brassey,
Esq. It was purchased of Mr. Brassey, in 1796, by Thomas Lane,
Esq. the present proprietor.
Manor of Marks.
The manor of Marks belonged to the priory of St. Helen's, and
was granted after the dissolution of that monastery, anno 1545, to
Paul Withipol and his son (fn. 18) . In 1601, Sir Edmund Withipol sold
it to James Altham, Esq. (afterwards one of the barons of the Exchequer (fn. 19) ). His son Sir James Altham died seised of this manor in
1622, leaving an infant son, who survived him but a short time, and
two daughters, who became his coheirs (fn. 20) . After this period I have
been able to learn nothing farther relating to the manor of Marks,
than that it became incorporated with Leyton Grange, to which it
was united by David Gansell, Esq.; and that it was purchased by
Mr. Pardoe, with that estate, of General Gansell's heirs. The site
of the manor (now a farm-house) is called Marks-hall. The
old house stood upon the boundaries of the parishes of Leyton and
Manor of Ruckholt.
The manor of Ruckholt (which took its name from the Saxon
words Roc-bolt, i.e. Rook-wood) was, about the year 1284, the
property of William, son of Robert de Bumpsted Steple, who then
recognized a deed, by which he had granted this manor to Sir
Richard de la Vache (fn. 21) . In the year 1360, Philip de Bumpsted, son
and heir of Robert Bumpsted of Stoke, released to Adam Francis,
citizen of London, all his right and interest in this manor (fn. 22) . It is
probable that Francis had purchased it of the heirs of Sir Richard de la
Vache. Sir Adam Francis, who died seised of this manor in 1417,
left two daughters coheirs (fn. 23) , Agnes, wife of Sir William Porter,
who died without issue in 1461 (fn. 24) , and Elizabeth, wife of Thomas
Charlton, whose son Sir Thomas died seised of this manor in 1465 (fn. 25) .
Sir Richard Charlton, son of Sir Thomas, being attainted of hightreason for his adherence to Richard the Third, this manor fell into
the hands of the crown, and was granted by Henry VII. anno
1487, to Sir John Rysley (fn. 26) ; on whose death it escheated to the
crown, and was granted, anno 1513, to William Compton (fn. 27) , ancestor
of the Earls of Northampton. William Lord Compton sold this
manor, in 1592, to Henry Parish, Gent. (fn. 28) , whose widow married
Sir Michael Hickes, secretary to Lord Burleigh. Sir Michael purchased the manor of Parvish's heirs, and it continued in the family
of Hickes till the year 1720; when Sir Harry Hickes, Bart. sold it
to the trustees of Robert Knight, Esq. cashier of the South Sea Company, of whom it was purchased, in 1731, by Ann, relict of Frederic Tylney, Esq (fn. 29) . It is now, with the rest of the Tylney estates,
vested in the insant son of the late Sir James Tylney Long, Bart.
The mansion-house, which was for many years the residence of
the Hickes's, stood about a mile south of the church. In the years
1742, 1743, and 1744, it was in the occupation of William
Barton, who opened it as a place of public amusement for
breakfasts and afternoon concerts, which were held weekly during
the summer: oratorios were sometimes performed. It appears, by
some of the advertisements (fn. 30) , that tradition called this old mansion
one of Queen Elizabeth's palaces, evidently with no foundation; it
is not improbable that she honoured Sir Michael Hickes with a visit
there, which might give rise to the tradition. Ruckholt-house was
pulled down about the year 1757.
The manor, which had belonged, in the reign of William the
Conqueror, to Peter de Valoines, was given by his great grandaughter
Gunnora to the nuns of Holiwell (fn. 30) . At the dissolution of monasteries it was granted to Morgan Philips, alias Wolse (fn. 31) , whose eldest
son Julinus died seised of it in 1557 (fn. 32) . I have not been able to find
how this estate afterwards descended, or who is the present owner:
it is probable that it became incorporated with Leyton Grange.
Symond de Mill and his wife Adeline gave to the priory of the
Holy Trinity two hides of land in Leyton, which were confirmed to
them by Robert de Vere, and by King Stephen (fn. 33) . It is probable
that they are incorporated with some other estates.
The Forest-house, now the seat of Samuel Bosanquet, Esq.
belonged anciently to the abbey of Waltham (fn. 34) . In the last century,
it was the property and residence of Charles Earl of Norwich (fn. 35) , who
died in 1670, and lies buried at Leyton. It afterwards belonged to
Sir Gilbert Heathcote, whose son Sir John Heathcote, Bart. sold it
to the Bosanquets (fn. 36) .
Walwood house and estate.
In the year 1693, Richard Lord Colchester had a grant of 250 (fn. 37)
acres of land in the forest of Waltham, in or near Leyton (fn. 38) , for the
term of 99 years. The lease was renewed, in 1778, to Dorothea
Owsley, spinster, for 31 years (fn. 39) .
This estate, which is called Walwood, is described by Lord Chief
Baron Manwood, in his book of Forest Laws (fn. 40) , as being within the
bounds of the forest of Waltham; but yet "no part of it, nor within
"the regard thereof," i. e. not subject to the forest laws. Walwood-house is now in the tenure of Robert Williams, Esq.
Lady Margaret Brian.
Edward Rowe Mores.
In this parish lived Lady Margaret Brian, governess to Edward VI.,
Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth: she made her will in 1551,
being then resident at Leyton. Edward Rowe Mores, Esq. lived
many years at Leyton, in a house of whimsical construction built by
himself, and now called Etloe-place (fn. 41) .
The parish-church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary (fn. 42) , is a brick
structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a north aisle. The
chancel was repaired in 1679, through the care, and a partly at the
expence, of Mr. Strype, who was then minister. The nave
was rebuilt, and the north aisle (except the east end, which was built
by Sir William Ryder in 1610 (fn. 43) ) added about the year 1658 or
1659; the tower, which is at the west end, was built, about
the same time.
Monument of Sir Michael Hickes.
On the south side of the chancel is the monument of Sir Michael
Hickes (fn. 44) , whose effigies in armour is represented in alabaster, as large
as the life; there is the effigies also of his wife (in a mourning habit,
holding a book). Sir Michael Hickes died Aug. 5, 1612. His
epitaph contains nothing remarkable. On the same wall is a brass
tablet to the memory of Mary Lady Kingston (fn. 45) , 1557; and the
monuments of Andrew Redich (second son of Ralph Redich (fn. 46) of
Mottram in Cheshire), 1603; Newdigate Owsley, Esq. (fn. 47) , 1714; and
Sir Robert Beachcroft, sometime Lord Mayor of London (fn. 48) , a liberal
benefactor to Christ's-church and St. Thomas's hospitals, 1721.
Monuments of the Hickes's.
On the north wall is a handsome monument in memory of Sir
William Hickes, Bart. who died in 1680; Sir William Hickes,
Bart. (fn. 49) (his son), 1702; and Marthagnes Lady Hickes (wife of Sir
William Hickes the younger), 1723. This monument is ornamented with the effigies of the deceased in white marble: Sir William
Hickes (the father) is represented in a recumbent attitude, holding
a baton in his hand, as lieutenant of the forest of Waltham; on one
side is his son in a Roman habit, and on the other Dame Marthagnes Hickes, both standing. On the chancel-floor are the tombs
of Ursula, daughter of Gaspar Luce (fn. 50) , 1493 (with a figure in brass
of the deceased); Henry Parvish, merchant, 1593; Elizabeth, wife
of Tobias Wood, (with figures in brass of the deceased and her
husband,) without date (fn. 51) ; Sir Edward Holmden, 1616; Laurence
Moyer, Esq. 1685; Laurence Moyer, Esq. 1720; Catherine Moyer,
1724; and the Rev. John Strype, aged 94, 1737 (fn. 52) . There were
formerly memorials for Henry Archer, Esq. (fn. 53) , 1585, and Mr.
Charles Moriscoe, merchant, 1670.
On the south wall of the nave is a monument to the memory of
William Church, Gent. 1723; Mary, his wife, daughter of John
Tod, 1707; Sarah, wife of James Ball, 1722, and Mr. Abraham
Charles Goring, Earl of Norwich.
Sir John Strange.
On the east wall of the north aisle is the monument of Charles
Goring, Earl of Norwich (fn. 54) , who died in 1670. On the north wall
are the monuments of Thomas Hawes, Esq. (fn. 55) , 1685; Thomas
Hawes, Esq. his son, 1743; Mrs. Ann Hawes, 1759, &c.; Ann,
daughter and heir of William Fisher, Esq. Alderman of London,
and wife of Nathaniel Tench, Esq. (fn. 56) , 1696; Nathaniel Tench, her
husband, 1710; Sir Richard Hopkins (fn. 57) , Alderman of London,
1735; Sir John Strange, Master of the Rolls (fn. 58) , 1754; Samuel
Bosanquet, Esq. (fn. 59) , 1765; and a wooden tablet in memory of Mr.
Charles Goodfellow, merchant, of Aleppo, 1686. In the northwest corner of this aisle is a tablet of white marble to the memory of
Mr. William Bowyer (fn. 60) , 1737. On the west wall is a handsome marble
monument (by Hickey) to the memory of John Story, Esq. 1786. On
the floor is another inscription to the Earl of Norwich, (by which it
appears that he married Alice, one of the daughters and coheirs of
Robert Leman, Esq. of Brightwell-hall in Suffolk); and the tombs of
Mr. John Wood, who in his youth travelled over several parts of
Europe, Asia, Africa, and America; and being an inhabitant of this
parish, contributed freely to rebuilding the church: ob. 1660; John
Wood, merchant, (his son,) 1670; Alexander Bence, Esq. Alderman of London, 1662; Thomas Hopkins, Esq. 1667; John Lloyd,
Esq. second son of Sir Charles Lloyd, Bart. 1667; William Davies,
mercer, 1678 (he married Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Maddison,
Esq.); Charles Gauden, Esq. of Mark-house, (son of John Gauden,
Bishop of Worcester, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Russell of
Chippingham in Cambridgeshire,) 1679 (he married Mary, daughter of George Brett of Hatherley in Gloucestershire); Elizabeth,
wife of Charles Britt, Esq. and only daughter of Charles Gauden,
1731; Robert Harvey, merchant, 1695; and Philip Allen, Gent.
Tombs in the churchyard.
In the churchyard are the tombs of Elizabeth, wife of Sir Harry
Hickes, Bart. 1705; John Fisher, Esq. 1719; Thomas Baker,
apothecary, 1726; Elizabeth, wife of Henry Marsh, Esq. (daughter
of Edward Lisle, Esq. of Crux-Easton, Hants, by Mary, only
daughter of Sir Ambrose Phillips of Garenton in Leicestershire, Knt.)
1726; Elizabeth, only child of John Hungerford, Esq. (of Devonshire and Wilts,) married first to John Fisher, and afterwards to
Peregrine Bertie, Esq. ob. 1731; Peregrine her husband, son of
Peregrine Bertie of Long Sutton in Lincolnshire, 1743; Ernle
Bertie, LL. D. 1757; Peregrine Bertie jun. (fn. 61) , 1786; Catherine, his
wife, daughter of Richard Backwell, Esq. of Billing in Northamptonshire, 1770; Sir Fisher Tench, Bart. (son of Nathaniel Tench,
by Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Bird, Esq.) 1736; Sir Nathaniel
Tench, Bart. 1737; Jane Soresby, daughter of Sir Fisher Tench,
sister of Sir Nathaniel, and only surviving heir of the family (fn. 62) ,
1752; Mr. Robert Johnson, 1749; William Johnson, Esq. 1757;
Abraham Purcas, merchant, 1750; William Purcas, Esq. 1766;
Rev. Daniel Capon, curate, 1751; Susanna, his daughter, wife of
Robert Burchall, 1793; John Gray, surgeon, 1752; William
Dunster, Esq. son of Henry, and grandson of Giles Dunster of
Somersetshire, 1754; (he married Mary, daughter and heir of —Gardiner, Esq. of Bury, Herts;) Isabella, widow of John Dubordieu, vicar, 1757; Benjamin Moyer, Esq. (fn. 63) , 1759; David Lewis,
Esq. (fn. 64) , 1760; Mary, wife of William Fletcher, Gent. 1763; Mr.
John Stow, 1764; Stephen Skynner, Esq. (son of Stephen Skynner
of Newent, Gloucestershire,) 1764; (he married Mary, only
daughter and heir of Samuel Remington, Esq.; by whom he had
Mary, married to James Colebrooke, Esq. (afterwards created a
baronet,) Emma, married to William Harvey, Esq. M. P. for the
county of Essex, and Deborah, married to Thomas Grosvenor, Esq.
M. P. for Chester;) Mr. Daniel Fenn, 1773; Capt. Henry More,
(descended in a direct line, by the second marriage, from Sir John,
father of the celebrated Sir Thomas More,) 1773; Matthew
Lichigary, Esq. 1776; Thomas Bladen, Esq. of Glastonbury Abbey,
(late governor of Maryland,) 1780; Barbara, his wife, daughter of
Sir Theodore Jansen, Bart. (by Williamsa, daughter of Sir Robert
Henley, Bart.) 1784; they had two daughters, Barbara, married to
the Hon. Genl St. John, and Henrietta, married to the Earl of
Essex; John Stenhouse, merchant, of Montreal, 1780; Richard
Andrews, Esq. 1780; Elizabeth, wife of William Camden, Esq.
1784; John, eldest son of John Roebuck, 1785; Elizabeth, wife
of John Roebuck the elder, 1792; James Taylor, Esq. 1787; Mrs.
Mary Ledwell, his sister, 1790; Elizabeth, wife of James Boydell,
1787; Sarah, wife of Francis Creuze, 1788, and the Rev. Thomas
Rectory and advowson.
The church of Leyton, which lies in the diocese of London and
in the deanery of Barking, was given to the abbot and convent of
Stratford-Langthorn by Gilbert de Montfichet, and confirmed by
Henry the Second (fn. 65) . The great tithes were afterwards appropriated
to that monastery, and a vicarage was endowed, of which the abbot
and convent were patrons till the dissolution of religious houses;
when the great tithes were granted, with the advowson and the manor, to Lord Wriothesley (fn. 66) ; they continued united for more than a
century. The partition of the manor into three parts, in the year
1649, has been already mentioned (fn. 67) ; the great tithes and right of
presentation were then divided between the same parties, and in the
same proportion, but they have not descended exactly in the same
manner. Abbot's share of the great tithes, with a right of presentation (upon every third vacancy) to the vicarage, were sold, with
his share of the manor, to John Smith, and formed a part of his
bequest to the poor of St. Swithin and St. Peter, Eastgate, in Lincoln.
They were purchased by Mr. Pardoe, in 1794, with a third of the
manor. Ozler's share of the great tithes was not sold with his share
of the manor, but descended to his representative Col. Robert Haslar,
of whom it was purchased, anno 1773, by Mr. Robert James of
Leyton, and is now the property of his son Mr. Richard James (fn. 68) . It
is a matter of doubt, whether the right of presentation on every third
vacancy to the vicarage did not descend in the same manner. The
other third part of the great tithes passed through the same hands as
Capt. Swanley's share of the manor, till the death of General Gansell,
who bequeathed it to his nephew David Jebb, Esq. the present
proprietor. General Gansell's two thirds of the manor were sold,
as before mentioned, to Mr. Pardoe; at the same time two thirds of
the advowson, or a right of presenting twice out of three times
to the vicarage, were put up to sale, and purchased by Nicholas
The commissioners appointed to inquire into the state of ecclesiastical benefices, in 1650, found by their inquest, that the vicaragehouse at Leyton was in ruins; that the whole profits of the benefice,
including an acre of glebe, were only 161. per annum; that an
augmentation of 60l. had been granted by the committee of
plundered ministers; and that the right of presentation was in George
Swanley and others, to whom the rectory was impropriate (fn. 69) . The
manor of Leyton is charged with a payment of 3l. per annum
to the vicar.
Chapel at Leytonstone.
A chapel was built at Leytonstone, about the year 1750, by
William Dunster, Esq.; but disputes arising between the proprietor
and the vicar, it was not opened till the year 1754. It is now
considered as a chapel of ease, the minister being appointed by the
vicar of Leyton as his curate, and licensed by the bishop of the
diocese (fn. 70) .
Samuel Keene, vicar.
Samuel Keene, instituted to this vicarage in 1639, became a
captain in the parliamentary army, and is said to have preached at
Leyton in his buff coat (fn. 71) .
John Strype, licensed curate sixty eight years.
The celebrated antiquary and historian John Strype was elected
minister of Leyton in 1669. The vicarage, which was of very small
value, being then vacant, it appears that the patron suffered the
parishioners to make their own choice. The same year the principal
inhabitants signed a paper, pledging themselves to subscribe certain
annual sums for his support: Sir Michael Hickes's subscription was
81. In 1674, Mr. Strype was licensed by the bishop of London as
priest and curate, to officiate there during the vacancy of the vicarage. By virtue of this licence he remained unmolested in possession
of its prosits till his death in 1737, having never received institution
nor induction. The latter part of his life he resided principally at
Hackney, where he was lecturer; but within two years of his death
he constantly administered the sacrament, on Christmas day, to his
parishioners at Leyton, which he never omitted to do for 66 succesfive years. In the year 1677, Mr. Strype rebuilt the vicarage-house
with 140l. of his own money, aided by contributions from his
parishioners. He expended considerable sums also in the repairs of
the chancel. This learned man died at Hackney, on the 11th of
December 1737, at the advanced age of 94, and lies buried in the
chancel at this place (fn. 72) . His principal works are, Annals of the
Reformation; Ecclesiastical Memoirs; the lives of Sir Thomas
Smith, Secretary of State to Edward VI.; Sir John Cheke, Secretary
to the same Prince; Bishop Aylmer; the Archbishops Parker,
Grindall, Whitgift, and Cranmer; Additions to Stow's Survey of
London; and several sermons. In his historical works he was much
assisted by Sir Michael Hickes's MSS. which were preserved at
Ruckholt. Mr. Strype in his letter to Mr. Holman, who was
collecting materials for a history of Essex, (dated 1722,) says, that
he was born in the parish of Stepney, near Spitalfields, in a place
called after his father, Strype's-yard (now in the parish of Christchurch, Spitalfields). I have already observed, that I could not
find any entry of Mr. Strype's baptism in the parish register at
Stepney (fn. 73) .
The present vicar of Stepney is the Rev. Thomas Keighley,
M. A. instituted in the year 1754, on the death of John Dubordieu; who succeeded Strype.
The earliest date of the register of baptisms and marriages is
1575; that of burials, 1617.
Comparative state of population.
||Average of Baptisms.
||Average of Burials.
It appears, by the return of the King's surveyor of houses and
windows, in 1762, that there were then 265 houses in this parish;
of which 138 were cottages; 127, mansions. The present number
of houses is about 380; of which about 180 are taxable.
In 1625, there were 30 burials, and in 1665 only 29; scarcely
exceeding, in either instance, the average of those periods.
Extracts from the Parish Register.
"April 1578, Mr. Wyscan Browne (fn. 74) , Esq. and Elizabeth Pawlet, the daughter of the Rt Hon. the Ld Giles Pawlet (fn. 75) , married."
Anecdotes of Sir MichaelHickes.
"Elizabeth (fn. 76) , daughter of Michael Hickes, Esq. baptized July
17, 1598." Mr. Hickes was secretary to Lord Burleigh, and
much in his confidence. He lived on terms of great intimacy with
Sir Walter Ralegh, Sir Francis Bacon, Sir Robert Cecil, (his
patron's son,) Camden, and others of the most eminent men of that
day. He was married late in life, (being 54 years of age,) to the
widow of Mr. Parvish, a merchant in London, and owner of Ruckholt, in this parish. His mother, despairing of her son's marrying,
had, not long before, given a suit of hangings, which she had kept
32 years, (as a present for him whenever that event should happen,)
to Sir Robert Cecil; telling him at the same time, that if her son
did not make haste to marry, she would give him her house, with
all the stuff belonging to it.
Sir Robert Cecil, writing to Mr. Hickes, about the time of King
James's accession, says, " I will have you knighted at the Corona"tion." Shortly afterwards, he begins a letter to him with "Mr.
Hickes, who would not be Sir Michael." It appears that he
accepted that honour the next year (fn. 77) . Sir Michael Hickes died on
the 15th of August 1612, and was buried at Leyton. Elizabeth
Lady Hickes, his widow, was buried there, Feb. 14, 1634–5.
Family of Hickes.
William, son of William Hickes, baptized Jan. 31, 1612–13;
Anne, his daughter, July 2, 1615; Baptist, son of the said William Hickes (then a baronet) and Margaret his wife, (daughter of William Ld Paget,) baptized August 18, 1627, buried
May 24, 1634; Elizabeth, their daughter, buried Jan. 7, 1633–4;
Katherine, baptized June 29, 1636; Francis, baptized May 22,
1637, buried July 31, 1647; Michael, baptized Jan. 26, 1644–5;
Elizabeth, Aug. 20, 1647; Sr William Hickes, Bart, buried Oct.
"William, son of William Hickes, Esq. buried Jan. 23, 1664–5;
Mary (fn. 78) , daughter of the said William, (who had then been knighted,
and afterwards succeeded to his father's title,) baptized July 4,
1665; Harry, his son (fn. 79) , Oct. 8, 1666; Michael, baptized Nov. 5,
1667, buried Dec. 16, 1672; William, baptized March 29,
1670, buried March 18, 1681–2; Robert, baptized Apl 14, 1671;
John, Septr 12, 1672; Michael, Sept 19, 1673; Elizabeth, baptized Nov. 9th, 1674, buried Dec. 31, 1675; Charles, baptized
in London, Mar. 19, 1677–8; Anne, baptized Aug. 29, 1679,
buried Mar. 8, 1679–80; Sr William Hickes, Bart, buried Apl
26, 1702; Marthagnes Lady Hickes (fn. 80) , Jan. 28, 1723–4.
"Lætitia, daughter of Sr Michael Hickes, Knt, buried Aug. 4,
1682; another Lætitia, June 29, 1685; William, his son, July 11,
1685; Michael, Nov. 9, 1686; Elizabeth, his daughter, May 21,
1691; another William, Mar. 23, 1694–5.
"Margaret, daughter of Sr Harry Hickes, and Elizabeth, baptized Oct. 23, 1699, buried Mar. 23, 1699–1700; Harry,
baptized Ap. 21, 1705, buried Sep. 22, 1721; Elizabeth, wife
of Sr Harry Hickes, (daughter of Admiral Sr John Holmes,)
buried Jan. 21, 1705–6; Robert, son of Sr Harry Hickes, and
Barbara, baptized Feb. 4, 1711–2; Martha, Jan. 26, 1712–3;
Elizabeth, Feb. 1, 1713–4; Barbara, Jan. 1, 1716–7; Ardina,
buried Feb. 2, 1716–7; John, baptized July 14, 1718, buried June
15, 1719; Michael, baptized Sep. 29, 1719; Dame Barbara
Hickes, (daughter of Joseph Johnson of Walthamstow, Gent.)
buried Aug. 8, 1746; Sr Harry Hickes, Nov. 8, 1755." Sir
Harry Hickes was succeeded by his eldest surviving son Robert, who
dying unmarried, the title went to John Baptist, son of Charles
Hickes, and grandson of Sir William Hickes the younger. Sir John
Baptist Hickes died without issue, in 1791. The present baronet is
Sir Howe Hickes of Whitcomb in Gloucestershire, son of Sir
Michael, and grandson of Sir William Hickes the elder.
"Edward Noel, Knt, and Julian Hickes, married Dec. 12, 1605;
Sr Charles Morison, Knt, and Mary Hickes, married Dec. 4,
1606." Sir Edward (afterwards Lord Noel) and Sir Charles
Morison married the daughters and coheirs of Baptist Viscount
Campden, younger brother of Sir Michael Hickes.
"Charles St. John, Gent. and Sarah Hickes, widow, married
Sep. 10, 1611." "George Collerd and Margaret Hickes, married
May 4, 1613."
"Sr Robert Quarles, Knt, and Mrs Mary Parvis, daughter to the
Lady Hickes, married May 6, 1617."
"Elizabeth, daughter of Sr Thomas Baker, baptized Ap. 18,
Three children at a birth.
"John, son, and Barbara and Elizabeth, daughters of Richard
Farrington, baptized July 1, 1611."
Sr Thos Williams, buried Nov. 12, 1625."
"Thomas Whitmore, Esq. son of Sr William Whitmore of
Shropshire, and Elizabeth, daughter of Sr William Acton, Knt and
Alderman, married Ap. 16, 1635."
"Mary, daughter of Sr Thomas Stanley, baptized June 9, 1636."
"William, son of Sr Henry Franklin, Knt, baptized Oct. 1,
1639; Luce, Sep. 9, 1640, buried Sep. 12; Anne, his daughter,
buried July 8, 1641."
"The young Ld Chichester (fn. 81) was buried Dec. 29, 1660."
"The Rt Hon. Charles Earl of Norwich, buried Mar. 7, 1670–1;
the Rt Hon. Alice Countess of Norwich, July 23, 1680 (fn. 82) ."
"Rowland, son of Sr Rowland Ainsworth, Knt, and Eleanora,
baptized July 31, 1693; Eleanora, their daughter, Sep. 11, 1696."
Sr Robert Beachcroft, Knt, and Mrs Margaret Perry, widow,
married Jan. 17, 1705–6; Sr Robert Beachcroft, buried June 7,
1721; Margaret Lady Beachcroft, Dec. 15, 1727."
"Dame Hester, wife of Sr Gilbert Heathcote (fn. 83) , buried Oct. 6,
1714; Frances, daughter of Sr Gilbert, Dec. 31, 1731; Henrietta, daughter of Sr John Heathcote, Bart, Sep. 21, 1733; Maria,
Nov. 6, 1733."
"William Bowyer, buried Nov. 25, 1777." This learned and
eminent printer was born in London, in the year 1699. In 1716,
he was admitted a sizar of St. John's College in Cambridge. In
1722, he entered into business with his father, and during more
than half a century the productions of many of the most distinguished writers of this country issued from his press. The education
which he had received at the university gave him peculiar advantages, and enabled him to correct the works of his learned friends,
particularly in the Greek language, wherein he was eminently
conversant, as appears by his edition of the Greek Testament, and
his conjectures upon various passages of that book. Mr. Bowyer was
for many years printer of the Votes of the House of Commons,
and printer to the Society of Antiquaries, of which he was a member. The first publication of his own was the review of a book
intitled, Reliquiæ Baxterianæ, anno 1726; he afterwards published
several tracts; viz. Answer to a Sermon by William Bowman, vicar
of Dewsbury, 1731; tract on the Jews' Naturalization Bill, 1753;
on the Greek and Roman money, in answer to Mr. Raper, 1772;
and tracts on the Hebrew months, sabbatical years, and years of
Jubilee. He communicated several papers to the Society of Antiquaries, and was editor of some volumes of Swift's Works, Trapp's
Lectures, &c. &c. He assisted many of his friends also with prefaces
and notes. Mr. Bowyer died on the 18th of Nov. 1777, and was
buried, pursuant to his own request, with his relations at Leyton;
where a monument was erected to the memory of himself and his
father (fn. 84) , at the expence of Mr. John Nichols, who had been his
apprentice and partner, and is now his successor. Anecdotes of Mr.
Bowyer and his learned friends (whence the above short account has
been taken) were published by Mr. Nichols, in one volume quarto
Instances of Longevity.
"Old Jane Hutton, wife of John Hutton, aged 95, buried June
12, 1672; Old John Hutton of Leytonstone, aged 106 years,
buried Feb. 8, 1679–80; Robert Church, aged a hundred years
wanting one, buried May 24, 1692; Philip Ball, aged 92, Mar.
16, 1713–4; Sarah Walker, widow, aged 99, Nov. 26, 1724."
There is a woman now living in the alms-houses in her 96th year.
Sir Thomas Roe.
The celebrated Sir Thomas Roe or Rowe, ambassador to the
Great Mogul, was a native of Leyton (fn. 85) .
Robert Ozler, by his will bearing date 1697, bequeathed the sum
of 300l. for building a free-school, and settled a salary of 12l. per
annum on the master, for teaching poor children of this parish and
Walthamstow. The school was built at Leyton. In 1710, it was
ordered by the governors, that the master should teach seven children
of each parish. In 1787, on the election of a new master, the
school-house having been then lately rebuilt, the number of boys
was increased from seven to ten of each parish.
There is also at Leyton a school of industry for thirty girls,
established in Dec. 1794, and four Sunday-schools, in which are 120
children; these schools are supported by voluntary subscriptions (fn. 86) .
John Smith, merchant, in the year 1656, founded alms-houses for
eight poor persons, and endowed them with 20l. per annum. Mr.
Charles Phillips, anno 1747, bequeathed 12l. per annum to these
alms-houses; and the same year Mr. John Phillips his brother gave,
by deed, 6l. per annum, 40s of which he directed to be distributed
in coals, the remainder in money.
Henry Archer, by his will bearing date 1585, gave 1l. per annum
to be distributed among such poor persons as should attend divine
service on Whitsunday. Robert Rampston, who died the same
year, gave 1l. per annum to the poor. Sir William Hickes, who
died in 1702, gave the sum of 50l. to the poor, to which his widow,
in 1707, added 20l.; provided that the whole should be laid out in
lands, and the rent distributed yearly in bread. It now produces
6l. 10s. Thomas Fowell, Esq. anno 1766, gave 100l. 3 per cent.
reduced annuities for bread. This, with the benefactions of Sir
William and Lady Hickes, and 2l. 10s. arising from several small
donations, makes in the whole 12l. per annum, which is distributed
in bread weekly.
At Leytonstone, which is the principal hamlet in this parish, are
several good houses, inhabited principally by merchants. The
population is about a third of that of the whole parish. The chapel
of ease has been already mentioned. In a collection of poems (in
folio) in the British Museum, is one intitled "Leightonstone Air,"
published in 1702, by J. H. a schoolmaster, who had taken a capacious house in this hamlet for a Latin boarding-school. He was then
engaged (as he says in his Preface) in modelling a new Latin and
The Temple-mills, belonging formerly to the Knights Templars,
and afterwards to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, stand
partly in this parish, and partly in that of Westham. In the year
1720, they were used for brass works. Two pamphlets were published in 1721, one in favour of, and the other against the management of these works. The mills are now employed in the manufacture of sheet-lead.