Southampton Street and Tavistock
The Western Part of the area described in this chapter was occupied in the
seventeenth century by Bedford House,
garden and stables. In 1705–6 Bedford House
was demolished, and Southampton Street, Tavistock Row and the western part of Tavistock Street
were laid out over the site, which was often referred
to as Bedford Ground.
Most of the eastern part of the area, including
Exeter House, was owned by the Cecil family.
The eastern part of the present Tavistock
Street, formerly York Street, is described in
Chapter VIII, pages 196–9.