List of figures
Volume 43

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Year published

1994

Supporting documents

Pages

11-17

Citation Show another format:

'List of figures: Volume 43', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. XI-XVII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46462 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

List of Figures in Volume XLIII

GLRO Greater London Record Office
MiD Port of London Authority Collections, Museum in Docklands Project, Museum of London
MIDD Architectural and Engineering Drawings, Port of London Authority Collections, Museum in Docklands Project, Museum of London
OS Ordnance Survey
PRO Public Record Office
THLHL Tower Hamlets Local History Library
VFB Poplar Borough Council, Valuer's Field Books, Tower Hamlets Valuation Office (Inland Revenue), in possession of the Survey of London

Except where indicated all the figures were drawn from survey and/or other source material by Michael F. Clements and Ron New

1. Poplar, Blackwall and the Isle of Dogs in 1703. Reproduced from Joel Gascoyne's Survey of the Parish of St Dunstan's, Stepney, 1703 3
2. Poplar, Blackwall and the Isle of Dogs. Landuse plan. Based on the LCC Municipal Map of London, 1913 edition 5
3. Poplar, Blackwall and the Isle of Dogs. Plan showing the principal railway lines, stations and depots, c1890 14
4. Plan showing the sub-division of the ancient parish of St Dunstan's Stepney into independent parishes. Based on the Key Map in The A to Z of Regency London, London Topographical Society Publication, No. 131, 1985 17
5. Inter-war cottage estates in Millwall. Based on the OS of 1937 24
6. Chapel House Street Estate, house plans. Based on survey and VFB (1935 series. No. 74, pp.14, 16) 29
7. Birchfield House, Birchfield Street, first-floor plan. Based on plans in THLHL (DA 10,758) 31
8. Montrose House, Millwall (now Kingsbridge) Estate, ground-floor plan. Based on a plan at the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Centre 32
9. Montcalm House, Millwall (now Kingsbridge) Estate, third-floor plan. Based on a plan at the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Centre 33
10. Michigan House, Millwall (now Kingsbridge) Estate, typical upper-floor plan. Based on a plan at the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Centre 44
11. Poplar High Street. Based on the OS of 1867–70 56–7
12. Poplar High Street, sketch of part of an unidentified shop-front by a member of the London Survey Committee, c 1890. Reproduced from the original in the National Monuments Record 60
13. Poplar District Board of Works, Poplar High Street, elevation and plans. Elevation measured; plan based on The Builder, 25 November 1871, p.926 62
14. Coroner's Court, Poplar High Street, elevations and plan. Based on drawings in the GLRO (LCC Architect's Department Plans, Poplar Coroner's Court) 66
15. No. 151 Poplar High Street, elevation, plans, and conjectural reconstruction in an axonometric projection. Measured drawing based on measurements and reconstruction made by John Sambrook in 1971 69
16. Nos 189–211 (odd) Poplar High Street, Collins Place, Nelson's Court and Commodore Court. Based on the OS of 1867–70 72
17. Buildings on the site of Nos 207 and 209 Poplar High Street, plan. Based on a plan of 1808 in THLHL (TH 6827A) 73
18. New Albion (formerly Oriental) Theatre, Poplar High Street, sketch elevation by Jethro T. Robinson, 1873. Reproduced from the original in the PRO (LC7/187) 75
19. Queen's (formerly New Albion) Theatre, Poplar High Street, plan. Based on a plan in Sale Particulars of 1905 in THLHL 76
20. Nos 76–82 (even) Poplar High Street, plans. Based on a plan of 1903 in the GLRO (BA 33,322) 78
21. Poplar Institution (formerly Poplar Workhouse), plan. Based on a plan of 1929 in the GLRO (LCC/AR/CB/3/1/17) 81
22. Former School of Marine Engineering and Navigation, Nos 112–124 (even) Poplar High Street, plan. Based on a plan of 1904 formerly in the Architect's Plan Room at County Hall 85
23. Former Poplar Central Library, No. 126 Poplar High Street, plan. Based on a plan in The Building News, 14 October 1892, and a plan of 1957, formerly in the Architect's Plan Room at County Hall 86
24. South Poplar Health Centre, Nos 260–268 (even) Poplar High Street, plan. Based on The Architect's Journal, 18 February 1981, p.303 89
25. The Church of St Matthias and the East India Company Almshouses, site plan. Based on the OS of 1867–70 98
26. The Church of St Matthias, plan. Measured drawing 100
27. The Church of St Matthias, isometric view of the roof framing. Measured drawing 102
28. The Church of St Matthias, south elevation and section in 1985. Measured drawing 104–5
29. No. 115 Poplar High Street, plans in 1983. Based on plans on possession of English Heritage (London Division, AR/HB 956/115) 110
30. Pennyfields, King Street and West India Dock Road area. Based on the OS of 1895 112
31. The London and Blackwall Railway, 1840. Reproduced from an engraving in the Guildhall Library (C.48.5, P.1840) 119
32. East India Dock Road. Based on the OS of 1937 122–6
33. Nos 57–67 (odd) East India Dock Road, plans in 1935. Based on a plan in VFB (1935 series, No. 92, pp.1, 6, 9, 12, 15) 129
34. Hippodrome Theatre, East India Dock Road, plans. Based on plans in the GLRO (GLC/AR/BR/19/257) 130
35. The Gaiety Cinema, East India Dock Road, sketch elevation. Reproduced from an elevation in THLHL (DA 9993) 132
36. St Stephen's Church, East India Dock Road, plan. Based on the OS of 1893 134
37. Trinity Congregational Chapel, East India Dock Road, plan in 1943. Based on a plan in Trinity Methodist Mission archives (no. 40) 136
38. Queen Victoria Seamen's Rest, Jeremiah Street, elevation, plans and section. Based on survey and plans in the Annual Report of the Wesleyan Seamen's Mission, 1901 138
39. No. 153 East India Dock Road, elevation and plan in 1988. Measured drawing 140
40. George Green's School, East India Dock Road, plan. Based on a plan in The Building News, 23 November 1883, between pp.806–23 141
41. Police Station, No. 195 East India Dock Road, plan. Based on a plan in the PRO (MEPO9/132) 143
42. Dock House Tavern, Nos 293–295 (odd) East India Dock Road, plan in 1927. Based on a plan in THLHL (DA 10,796) 146
43. Poplar Hospital, East India Dock Road. Reproduced from an engraving in The Illustrated London News, 2 June 1858, p.596 147
44. Poplar Hospital, East India Dock Road, site plan. Based on the OS of 1937 148
45. Plans of buildings on the McIntosh Estate, East India Dock Road 150
(a) Nos 51–53 (odd) Culloden Street. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1877/6/38)
(b) The Aberfeldy Tavern, Nos 357–359 (odd) East India Dock Road. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1868/12/348)
(c) No. 305 East India Dock Road. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1864/23/1358)
(d) No. 361 East India Dock Road. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1873/8/188)
(e) No. 343 East India Dock Road. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1878/2/63)
46. All Hallows Church, East India Dock Road, plan. Based on the OS of 1895 and a plan in the Church of England Record Centre 152
47. London and County Bank (now National Westminster Bank), No. 52 East India Dock Road, elevation and plans. Based on survey, the architect's drawings, and photographs 154
48. No. 68A East India Dock Road, plans. Based on plans in THLHL (DA 9811) 155
49. No. 152 East India Dock Road, plan. Based on a survey of 1899 by Elgie Corner, surveyor, in THLHL 157
50. Malam Gardens, site and typical floor plans. Floor plans measured; site plan based on the OS of 1937 158
51. Pope John House, No. 154 East India Dock Road, elevation and plans. Elevation measured; plans based on plans in The Copartnership Herald, Vol. III, October 1933, p.171 159
52. Wesleyan Chapel, East India Dock Road, plan. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MBO 20, ff.159–61) 161
53. United Methodist Free Church, East India Dock Road, elevation. Based on a drawing in the GLRO (MBO 33, f. 402) 162
54. Poplar Fire Station, East India Dock Road, plans. Based on plans formerly in the Architect's Plan Room at County Hall 163
55. Poplar Baths, East India Dock Road, plan. Based on the OS of 1867 and a plan in the GLRO (MBO 28, f.71) 165
56. Poplar Baths, East India Dock Road, section and plan. Based on plans in possession of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets (Architect's Department) 166
57. Electricity Showrooms and Offices, Nos 210– 212 (even) East India Dock Road, plan and section. Based on plans in the GLRO (GLC/AR/BR/19/2912) 169
58. No. 214 East India Dock Road (Albion House), sketch elevation. Based on photographs and a perspective drawing of the Electricity Showrooms at Nos 210–212 East India Dock Road in THLHL 170
59. The Morant Street area, the southern part of the Wade estate, and Hale Street. Based on the OS of 1894–6 172
60. Nos 16–17 Woodstock Road (now Terrace), sketch elevations, 1854. Reproduced from a drawing in the GLRO (MDR 1854/11/250) 173
61. Woodstock Road, Clippingdale and Griffiths estates. Based on the OS of 1867–70 174
62. All Saints' Church, plan in 1828. Measured drawing collated with the plan in J. Britton and A. Pugin, Illustrations of the Public Buildings in London, Vol. II, 1828, p.205 178
63. All Saints' Rectory, Newby Place, elevation and plan in 1990. Measured drawing 180
64. Newby Place, Mountague Place and Bow Lane area. Based on the OS of 1914 181
65. Town Hall, Newby Place, plans as in 1939. Based on plans drawn by L.J.A.W. dated 24 July 1950 in THLHL (TH 8267) 183
66. All Saints' Institute, Newby Place, plans. Based on plans in the GLRO (GLC/AR/BR/19/3463) 185
67. Nos 5–12 Mountague Place, elevations in 1987, and plans. Measured drawing 186
68. Cotton Street, Woolmore Street, and Wells Street area. Based on OS of 1867–70 189
69. Robin Hood Gardens, site layout. Based on Alison and Peter Smithson, Ordinariness and Light, 1970, p.195, and Architectural Design, September 1972, pp.565–6 197
70. Robin Hood Gardens, plans, exploded view, diagrammatic section and elevation. Based on copies of the architects' drawings 198
71. Poplar New Town. Based on the OS of 1894–6 201
72. SS Mary & Joseph R.C. Church, Canton Street, plan. Based on plans in the GLRO (MBO 26, f.28) and THLHL (copy of an original in the Mitchell Library, Sydney, NSW, ref. PXD 382, f.31) 203
73. St Saviour's Church, Northumbria Street, plan c1964. Based on survey and plans in the GLRO (P88/Sav/13–20) 205
74. St Saviour's School, Northumbria Street, plan. Based on a plan in The Builder, 17 June 1865, p.431 206
75. The George Green Almshouses, Nos 14–26 (even) Upper North Street, elevation and plan in 1989. Measured drawing 207
76. Heckford House, Grundy Street, plan. Based on a plan in THLHL (DA 11,433) 211
77. Lansbury Estate: The Live Architecture Phase, 1949–54. Based on the OS of 1951 and a plan in The Architects' Journal, 6 September 1951, p.276 213
78. Nos 1–8 Pekin Street, plans. Based on plans in The Architects' Journal, 6 September 1951, p.299 223
79. Nos 30–70 (even) Saracen Street, plans. Based on plans in The Architect and Building News, 9 June 1950, p.605 224
80. Trinity Congregational Church, (now Trinity Methodist Mission), East India Dock Road, plans and sections. Based on plans in The Architect and Building News, 9 June 1950, pp.602– 3, and Edward D. Mills, The Modern Church, 1956, p.95 226
81. Susan Lawrence Primary School and Elizabeth Lansbury Nursery School, Ricardo Street, plan. Based on plans in The Architectural Review, July 1951, p.8, and Building, March 1952, p.107 231
82. Lansbury Lodge Old People's Home, Grundy Street, plans. Based on plans in The Architect and Building News, 17 January 1952, p.65 233
83. Cardinal Griffin School (now The Blessed John Roche Catholic School), Upper North Street, plans. Based on plans in The Builder, 27 March 1953, pp.488–9 235
84. SS Mary and Joseph R.C. Church, Upper North Street, south elevation. Based on an elevation in Architecture and Building, September 1954, pp.332–3; details checked on site 236
85. SS Mary and Joseph R.C. Church, Upper North Street, plan. Based on plans in Architecture and Building, September 1954, p.331; details checked on site 237
86. The Lansbury Estate, plan of the post-Festival of Britain developments. Based on the OS of 1974 240
87. Gough Grove Scheme, plans and section. Based on plans in Building, 15 August 1975, p.57 244
88. Three sketches for housing in the Lansbury neighbourhood designed by Geoffrey Jellicoe. Reproduced from The Architect and Building News, 9 June 1950, p.10 246
89. London's enclosed wet docks in 1838, with the dates of opening 247
90. West India Docks and City Canal 250
(a) As projected in 1797. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MR/UP/8A)
(b) As projected in 1799. Based on a plan in MiD (West India Docks portfolio, sheet 14)
(c) As built and projected in 1802. Based on a plan in MiD (West India Docks portfolio, sheet 23)
91. West India Docks and City Canal in 1822. Based on plans in MiD (West India Docks portfolio, sheet 12) and the GLRO (PCS/PR2) 256
92. West India Docks in 1841. Based on a plan in MiD (East & West India Docks portfolio, sheet 2) 258
93. West India and Millwall Docks. Based on a plan in MiD (PLA Plan of the India and Millwall Docks, 1910) 262
94. West India and Millwall Docks. Based on a plan in MiD (PLA Plan of the India and Millwall Docks, revised 1938) 264
95. West India and Millwall Docks. Based on a plan in MiD (PLA Plan of the India and Millwall Docks, 1973) 265
96. West India Docks, dock-and lock-wall sections 270
(a) Import Dock. Based on MiDD (6700211, 6700298)
(b) Blackwall Entrance Lock, 1800–2. Based on drawings in the MiD (Secondary Archive 148; Secondary Archive, London Docks, 13/49) and photographs
(c) Junction Dock, 1853–5. Based on MiDD (6760134)
(d) South Dock, 1866–70. Based on L. F. Vernon-Harcourt, 'Description of the New South Dock in the Isle of Dogs, forming part of the West India Docks', in Minutes of Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, vol. xxxiii, 1871– 2, plate 20
(e) South Dock East Entrance Lock, 1869–70. Based on L. F. Vernon-Harcourt, 'Description of the New South Dock in the Isle of Dogs, forming part of the West India Docks', in Minutes of Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, vol. xxxiii, 1871–2, plate 19, figs 6–7
(f) West India Dock Graving Dock. Based on MiDD (6732010), and The Engineer, 30 May 1879, p.372
(g) Blackwall Entrance Dock. Based on MiDD (6760128) and drawings in MiD (Secondary Archive 148)
(h) Poplar Dock Entrance. Based on MiDD (6760250, 6760252)
(i) Bellmouth Passage. Based on MiDD (6762144)
(j) South Dock East Entrance Lock. Based on Engineering, 24 April 1931, plate xxix, fig. 46
97. West India Dock Graving Dock. Based on the OS of 1937, and VFB (1935 series, No. 35, p.42; No. 36, p.1) 275
98. No. 1 and No. 2 Warehouses, North Quay, West India Import Dock, elevations as in 1827, and plan in 1987. Based on drawings by R. J. Emett Associates (nos 2901/4, 11–15) and Fielden and Mawson (job no. 629) 286
99. No. 1 and No. 2 Warehouses, West India Docks, sections in 1987. Based on MiDD (6620679, 6622481), drawings by R. J. Emett Associates (no. 2901/11), and a report by Arup Associates on the Foundations of the North Quay Warehouses, West India Dock, 1985 287
100. No. 2 Warehouse, West India Docks, cast-iron window grille. Based on drawings by Fielden and Mawson (drawing no. L.629/5.OD3) 288
101. No. 2 Warehouse, West India Docks, details of cast-iron columns. Measured drawing 289
102. (a) No. 11 Warehouse, West India Docks, plan. Based on MiDD (6620742)
(b) No. 10 Warehouse, West India Docks, plan. Based on an uncatalogued drawing in MiD ('Proposed New Floor to No. 10 Warehouse') 293
103. No. 1 and No. 2 Rum Warehouses, West India Docks, sections, 1817–18. Based on MiDD (6622298), on Baron F. P. C. Dupin, Voyages Dans La Grande Bretagne III, Force Commerciale, iii, 1824, plate 11, and drawings in the Institution of Civil Engineers Library (Rennie Notebook) 294
104. (a) Canary Wharf Warehouse, West India Docks, section, 1936. Based on MiDD (6622365)
(b) No. 10 and No. 11 Shed-Warehouses, West India Docks, section, 1950–4. Based on illustrations in G. A. Wilson, 'Part of the London Authority Engineering Works, 1952', in Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Part II, vol. 2, October 1953, plate 1, fig. 8 296
105. No. 3 Warehouse, South Dock, West India Docks, elevation and section. Based on MiDD (6620714, 6620909, 6620963, 6621019, 6621031) 298
106. North Quay Shed, West India Docks, section. Based on a drawing in the Institution of Civil Engineers Library (Rennie Notebook) 300
107. C Shed, West India Docks, plan and section. Based on MiDD (6620844, 6620938), and a drawing by R. J. Emett Associates (no. 2901/21) 301
108. New Billingsgate Market, West India Docks, plan. Based on a plan by Newman Levinson & Partners (drawing no. 2420.201) 302
109. Rum Quay Shed, West India Docks, section. Based on MiDD (6622298), and on Baron F. P. C. Dupin, Voyages Dans La Grande Bretagne III, Force Commerciale, iii, 1824, plate II 303
110. Mahogany Shed, East Wood Wharf, West India Import Dock, plan, and sections. Based on MiDD (6620767, 6620877, 6900118), on Baron F. P. C. Dupin, Voyages Dans La Grande Bretagne III, Force Commerciale, iii, 1824, plate II, and on drawings in the Institution of Civil Engineers Library (Rennie Notebook) 304
111. The Ledger Building, West India Docks, elevation in 1986, and plan in 1904. Based on survey and MiDD (6620624, 6620656) 314
112. Jamaica Hotel (former Excise Office), West India Dock Road, elevation and plan. Based on drawings in the National Maritime Museum (D4906/1–2) and a survey by Walker Ladd & Company, 1987 316
113. Wood Trade Office, East Wood Wharf, West India Docks, elevation, plan, and section. Based on MiDD (6620829, 6622955) and photographs 318
114. South Dock General Office, West India Docks, elevation and plan. Based on MiDD (6623073), uncatalogued drawings in MiD, and a photograph inThe Builder, 13 January 1928, p.55 319
115. Cannon Workshops, Works Yard, West India Docks. 322
(a) East range, east elevation in 1882. Based on MiDD (6620665, 6620836) and photographs
(b) Cooperage, east elevation proposed in 1824. Based on MiDD (6620783)
(c) West range, section in 1825. Based on MiDD (6620779, 6621066), and drawings in the Institution of Civil Engineers Library (Rennie MSS, Reports II/ I, p.425)
(d) South range, south elevation in 1990. Based on survey, MiDD (6620778), and drawings by Charles Lawrence and David Wrightson (PW/5/A)
116. Cannon Workshops, Works Yard, West India Docks, plan in 1921. Based on MiDD (6900081, 6620665, 6620777–9, 6620782–3, 6620836, 6621007/3, 6621066) 323
117. The Smithery, Works Yard, West India Docks, east elevation. Based on MiDD (6620785) 324
118. Impounding Station, South Dock, West Entrance, West India Docks, plan in 1929. Based on MiDD (6782005) 327
119. Hydraulic Pumping Station, Works Yard, West India Docks, elevation and plan. Based on MiDD (6660055, 6660069, 6660079) 328
120. Hydraulic Accumulator Tower, South Dock, West India Docks, section. Based on MiDD (6660047) 329
121. Bridges at the West India Docks 332
(a) Double Turning-Bridge, South Dock, East Entrance Lock. Based on a drawing in MiD (Secondary Archive 371)
(b) Hydraulic Swing-Bridge, Blackwall Entrance Lock. Based on MiDD (6572384)
(c) Double Rolling-Lift Bascule Bridge, South Dock, East Entrance Lock. Based on MiDD (6572385, 6572397)
(d) Hydraulic Swing-Bridge, Millwall Passage. Based on MiDD (6572381)
(e) Blue Bridge, Dutch-Type Drawbridge, South Dock, East Entrance. Based on a figure in R. E. West, 'The Manchester Road Bridge in the Port of London', in Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, vol. 48, February 1971, fig. 7, and MiDD (6572403)
122. Poplar Dock in 1867. Based on the OS of 1867– 70 337
123. Poplar Dock in 1893. Based on the OS of 1895 339
124. Poplar Dock, accumulator tower, elevation, plan, and sections in 1986. Measured drawing 343
125. Millwall Docks, first projected scheme. Based on MiDD (6070002/2) 346
126. (a) Millwall Docks as projected in 1865. Based on MiDD (6480001)
(b) Millwall Docks as built in 1868. Based on a plan by Charles Freeman for the Wharf and Warehouses Committee of the London Fire Offices in MiD 347
127. Millwall Docks in 1873. Based on a plan in MiD 351
128. Millwall Docks in 1907. Reproduced from a plan dated November 1907 in MiD (Millwall Dock portfolio) 352
129. Millwall Docks, dock- and lock-wall sections 354
(a) Inner Dock and Outer Dock. Based on MiDD (6700180)
(b) Entrance Lock. Based on Engineering, 6 August 1867, p.104, fig. 11
(c) Millwall Dock Graving Dock. Based on section in Engineering, 22 November 1867, p.477, fig. 4
130. Millwall Docks, typical warehouse section. Based on MiDD (6620413, 6620449, 6620558) and uncatalogued drawings in MiD 357
131. Metal-frame sheds at the Millwall Docks 361
(a) J and K Sheds (Fred Olsen Lines Terminal), typical section. Based on drawings in MiD (PLA Engineering Department Files, Box 2)
(b) Grain Depot, west elevation. Based on MiDD (6620441)
132. Eastern Granary, Millwall Docks, section. Based on MiDD (660002) 362
133. Central Granary, Millwall Docks, elevation, plans and sections in 1903. Based on MiDD (6680032–3, 6680164) and photographs 364
134. Central Granary, Millwall Docks, elevation and part section in 1903. Based on MiDD (6680164) and on M. Mowat, 'Grain-Handling at the Millwall Docks', in Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, vol. clxxvii, 1908–9, part iii, plate 2, fig. 3 365
135. McDougalls' Mill, Millwall Docks, site plan. Based on MiDD (6682055) 367
136. Broadway Works, Millwall Docks, site plan. Based on a plan in VFB (1935 series, No. 80, p.9) 368
137. Hydraulic Pumping Station, Millwall Docks, site plan. Based on MiDD (6660020, 6660035, 6660038, 6782029) 369
138. Bridges at the Millwall Docks 372
(a) Hydraulic Swing-Bridge, Millwall Entrance Lock, 1868. Based on MiDD (6572379)
(b) Hydraulic Rolling Drawbridge, Glengall Road, 1868. Based on MiDD (6570125)
(c) Footbridge, Millwall Entrance Lock, 1876. Based on MiDD (6570088)
(d) High-Level Bridge, Glengall Grove, 1965. Based on MiDD (6572382) and photographs in MiD
139. The Isle of Dogs c1740. Based on a survey of 1740 by D. Scatliff and T. Willson in the GLRO (PCS/PR1) 376
140. The Isle of Dogs c1820, plan showing the principal freehold land holdings. Based on a survey of 1817 in the GLRO (PCS/PR2) 381
141. Limehouse Hole area. Based on the OS of 1893–5 389
142. Batson's Yard, Limehouse Hole, site plan in 1799. Redrawn from a plan in the Corporation of London Record Office (Plan No. B.I.c) 391
143. Aberdeen Steam Wharf, Limehouse Hole, site plan in 1878. Redrawn from a plan in the Guildhall Library (MS 15,627/38) 392
144. White Lead Factory, Limehouse Hole, site plan in 1787. Based on plans in MiD (EWIDC Schedules of Title Deeds 1/23, lease of 26 February 1787), and the Corporation of London Record Office (Plan No. B.I.c) 393
145. The Breach Dockyard, Limehouse Hole, site plan in 1774. Based on a plan in MiD (EWIDC Schedules of Title Deeds 11/5, lease of 14 October 1774) 395
146. Union Docks, Limehouse Hole, with Locke's Wharf and Union Dock Wharf, site plan in 1881. Based on plans in the GLRO (MBW 2733), and The Building News, 24 August 1883, p.285 396
147. No. 73 Garford Street, south elevation in 1986. Measured drawing 400
148. St Peter's Church, Garford Street, plan. Based on the OS of 1894, revised 1919 402
149. Nos 10–18 Garford Street, south elevations in 1986. Measured drawing 403
150. Riverside House, No. 20 Garford Street, plans in 1935. Based on a plan in VFB (1935 series, No. 116, pp.4–5) 404
151. Grieg House, No. 20 Garford Street, elevation in 1986 and plans in 1981. Elevation drawn from measurement, and the plans from a survey in possession of The Salvation Army Trustee Company (ref. 03A) 405
152. A West Indiaman in Cox, Curling & Company's Yard. Reproduced from an engraving of 1837 by H. Moses in MiD (Limehouse portfolio, 44/3) 408
153. Ord Street area. Based on the OS of 1868–73 409
154. River wall at Price's oil works, section and plan in 1848. Based on drawings in the GLRO (MBW 86, case 329, p.539) 411
155. Northern Millwall. Based on the OS of 1893–4 412
156. No. 16 Cuba Street, plans in 1988. Measured drawing 414
157. Former Millwall Working Men's Club, Cuba Street, elevation and plans in 1988. Measured drawing 416
158. St Luke's Church, Strafford Street, plan c1893–4. Redrawn from an engraved plan in the collection of the Council for the Care of Churches, the OS of 1893–4 and photographs in the National Monuments Record 421
159. Tooke Town and part of the Mellish Estate. Based on the OS of 1893–4, revised 1937 424
160. St Edward's R.C. Chapel, Moiety Road, plan. Redrawn from a plan by W. W. Wardell in the Mitchell Library, Sydney, NSW (PXD 382, f.27) 428
161. Wharves on the Mellish Estate in Northern Millwall. Based on the OS of 1893—4, 434
162. Timothy's Wharf, site plan c1854, and after rebuilding in 1909–10. Based on a plan in the PRO (BT1/513) and Goad's Insurance Plan (Vol. G, sheet 14, 1927 revision) in possession of the Survey of London 437
163. Mellish Street and Tiller Road area. Based on the OS of 1893–4, revised 1937 440
164. Island Baths, Tiller Road, plan. Based on the architect's plan reproduced from the programme for the Official Opening of Island Baths, 27 May 1966, in THLHL (LP 2297) 443
165. Former electricity sub-station, Starboard Way, elevation and plan in 1988. Measured drawing 444
166. Dunbar House, Tiller Road, plans. Based on plans in the Souvenir of the Official Opening, October 1932, in THLHL (LP 233) 450
167. Rawalpindi House, Mellish Street, plan. Based on The Builder, 19 March 1948, p.339 451
168. The Byng Estate in Southern Millwall and adjacent areas. Based on the OS of 1893–4 453
169. Klein's Wharf, elevation of warehouse. Measured drawing 454
170. Cyclops Works, plan in 1883. Based on plans in Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale of Properties in the Isle of Dogs 1895–1906, in THLHL (Pamphlets 660) 456
171. No. 251 Westferry Road, plans in 1989. Measured drawing 458
172. St Paul's Presbyterian Church, Westferry Road, plan in 1989. Measured drawing 459
173. St Paul's Presbyterian Church, Westferry Road, section in 1989. Measured drawing 460
174. St Edmund's R.C. Church, Westferry Road, plan in 1991. Measured drawing 461
175. The Barnfield Estate
(a) Plan of 1845. Based on a plan by Robert Sibley in the Guildhall Library (P2/ISL)
(b) Plan in 1871. Based on a survey by George Russell French in the Guildhall Library (P2/ISL: Map Case 114) 463
176. The former Drunken Dock and Land of Promise, and adjoining areas. Based on the OS of 1873 and 1894–6, and plans in the GLRO (MBW 2736 and PCS/PR3) 467
177. Drunken Dock, the Mast House property and Tindall's Dock, c1863. Based on plans in the Guildhall Library (MS 17,207/7) and the GLRO (MDR 1862/11/690) 468
178. William Fairbairn's Millwall Iron Works, site plan in 1840. Redrawn from a deed in the GLRO (MDR 1840/3/110) 471
179. Burrell's Wharf, plan of the works. Based on a survey of c 1982 by Blythe Colours Ltd 475
180. Burrell's Wharf, the Plate House, section. Measured drawing 476
181. Burrell's Wharf, the Plate House, details. Measured drawing 477
182. Burrell's Wharf 478
(a) The Plate House, elevation. Based on survey and a photograph of 1937 in MiD
(b) Nos 262–264 Westferry Road, elevation in 1986. Measured drawing
183. Harbinger Road area. Based on the OS of 1893– 5 and 1938 480
184. Harbinger School, Cahir Street, plan. Based on The Architect, 22 March 1873, p.154 482
185. (a)The Ferry Piece and Orchard in 1810. Based on a deed in the GLRO (MDR 1810/1/387)
(b) Chapel House Street area. Based on the OS of 1894–6 483
186. Greenwich Vehicular Steam Ferry. Reproduced from an engraving in Engineering, 17 February, 1888, p.172 484
187. No. 214 East Ferry Road, elevation and plans in 1991. Measured drawing 488
188. Millwall Fire Station, No. 461 Westferry Road, plan. Redrawn from a plan in the GLRO (LCC/FBS/Millwall/sheet 2) 489
189. Hesperus Crescent Estate, house plans. Based on survey and VFB (1935 series, No. 74, pp.23, 24) 491

Select List of Abbreviations used in the Figures

B/BR bedroom
B-SR bed-sitting-room
Bth bathroom
c/cpd cupboard
C.P. Civil Parish
Cr. crane
D. Rm dressing room
DR dining room
G garage
K kitchen
L lift
Lav. lavatory
LR living room
P pantry
Ret. Rm retiring room
Ref. refuse
Sc scullery
Sh shower
SR sitting room
St. store
W wash-house
Y yard