List of figures
Volume 44

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Hermione Hobhouse (General Editor)

Year published

1994

Supporting documents

Pages

7-9

Citation Show another format:

'List of figures: Volume 44', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. VII-IX. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46523 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

List of Figures in Volume XLIV

GLRO Greater London Record Office
MiD Port of London Authority Collections, Museum in Docklands Project, Museum of London
MIDD Architectural and Engineering Drawings, Port of London Authority Collections, Museum in Docklands Project, Museum of London
OS Ordnance Survey
PRO Public Record Office
THLHL Tower Hamlets Local History Library

Except where indicated all the figures were drawn from survey and/or other source material by Michael F. Clements and Ron New

190. Cubitt Town, c1900. Based on plans in MiD (Cubitt Town deeds, box 1, no. 82,420) 496–7
191. St John's Church, Roserton Street, plan. Based on plans in THLHL (DA 5019, 7018) and the Guildhall Library (MS 18,319/39) 503
192. Public Library, Strattondale Street, elevation, plan and section. Based on drawings in the London and County Engineer, Supplement, 20 January 1905, pp. 1–5 505
193. Primitive Methodist Church, Manchester Road, plan. Based on a plan in Trinity Methodist Mission archives (no. 71) 507
194. Church of Christ and St John, Manchester Road, plan. Based on survey and a plan in the GLRO (MBO 30, f.34) 508
195. Nos 58–60 (even) Ferry Street, elevation and plans in 1988. Measured drawing 517
196. Greenwich Hospital Estate and Newcastle Street. Based on the OS of 1867–70 and a plan in the PRO (ADM169/835); inset redrawn from an LCC pamphlet, Opening of Island Gardens, Poplar, 1895 519
197. Isle of Dogs Police Station, No. 126 Manchester Road, plans. Based on plans in the PRO (MEPO9/85) 521
198. Greenwich Foot Tunnel, Island Gardens, elevation and sections. Based on survey and microfilms of LCC Bridges Committee drawings in possession of Greenwich Borough Engineer's Department (ref: FT1 4.1, 4.2, 5) 526
199. Cubitt Town Wharf, plan in 1900. Redrawn from Particulars, Plans and Conditions of Sale of Properties in the Isle of Dogs 1895—1906, in THLHL (Pamphlets 660) 531
200. Millwall Wharf, plan and elevations. Based on survey, a plan in the Guildhall Library (MS 15,627A/5), and Goad's Insurance Plan (Vol. G, sheets 25–6, 1927 revision) in possession of the Survey of London 534
201. Yarrow & Company's Yard, Stewart Street, c1883. Based on plans in the GLRO (MBW 2740) 537
202. Blackwall Iron Works, Stewart Street, site plan in 1902. Based on plans in MiD (Cubitt Town deeds, box 1, no. 82,420) 538
203. Kelson House, Samuda Estate, plans and exploded view. Based on plans in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Centre 542
204. Jubilee Crescent, Manchester Road, typical plans. Based on a plan in THLHL (DA 11,433) 543
205. Empire, Alpha and Grosvenor Wharves Housing Scheme, site plan. Based on the OS of 1988 546
206. Old Blackwall and Coldharbour in 1740. Based on a survey of 1740 by D. Scatliff and T. Willson in the GLRO (PCS/PR1) 549
207. The Plough, Old Blackwall 551
(a)Plan in 1826. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1826/9/179)
(b) Plan incorporating alterations proposed in 1846. Based on plans in the GLRO (MBO plan nos 144, 146)
208. Blackwall Yard in 1703. Reproduced from Joel Gascoyne's Survey of the Parish of St Dunstan's Stepney, 1703 558
209. Blackwall Yard and Brunswick Dock in 1803. Based on a plan in MiD (East and West India Docks, Register 1A, p.25, deed dated 2 September 1803) 564
210. Blackwall Yard in 1843. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1843/1/977) 566
211. Blackwall Yard. Based on the OS of 1867–70 568
212. Blackwall Yard and Poplar Dock. Based on the OS of 1895 570
213. Stables at Poplar Dock, elevation and plan. Measured drawing 571
214. House/offices erected on the north side of Blackwall Yard, elevation and plans in 1986. Measured drawing 573
215. The mastmakers' shop at Blackwall Yard. Reproduced from George Dodd, Days at the Factories, 1843, p.481 574
216. The East India Docks as originally proposed. Based on a plan of 1803 by John Rennie and Ralph Walker in the Bodleian Library, Oxford (MS Gough Maps 41e, f.50) 577
217. The East India Docks, as built 1803–6. Based on a plan of 1804 in MiD (Vaughan portfolio vol. 2) and R. Horwood's Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, 1813 edition 578
218. The East India Docks in 1836. Based on a plan reproduced in James Elmes, A Survey of the Port of London, 1838, plate 14 579
219. The East India Docks in 1881. Reproduced from a plan of the East and West India Docks in MiD 581
220. Nos 8 and 9 Warehouses, East India Docks, elevation. Based on photographs and survey notes made by Michael F. Clements in 1956 587
221. Brunswick Wharf. Based on the OS of 1867–70 594
222. Iron river wall at Brunswick Wharf. Based on drawings in Transactions of the Institution of Civil Engineers, vol. 1, 1836, plate XX 595
223. Canal Dock Yard and Glen Terrace area. Based on the OS of 1870 and 1967 601
224. Poplar Sailors' Home. Reproduced from an engraving in The Illustrated London News, 25 February 1854, p.168 604
225. Glen Terrace, Nos 575–607 Manchester Road, typical elevation and plans. Based on survey and old photographs 605
226. Coldharbour area. Based on the OS of 1870 and 1969–70 608
227. D.W. Forbes & Company's works, Preston's Road, plan and elevation. Based on plans in the PRO (BT31/5210/35310) 610
228. No. 1 Coldharbour, Isle House. Plans, elevation and detail in 1986. Measured drawing 612
229. No. 3 Coldharbour, Nelson House, plans in 1988. Measured drawing 614
230. No. 3 Coldharbour, Nelson House, details in 1988. Measured drawing 615
231. No. 5 Coldharbour, plans in 1988. Measured drawing 616
232. No. 19 Coldharbour (River Police Station), site plan, floor plans and section. Based on copies of the contract drawings in possession of English Heritage (London Division, HB file 3519) 621
233. Preston's Road area. Plan based on the OS of 1867–70 625
234. Former Midland Railway Hydraulic Pumping Station, Duthie Street, elevations and plan in 1986. Measured drawing 627
235. Bridge House, Preston's Road, south elevation as built, and plans in 1878. Based on survey and MiDD (6620859) 629
236. Marshall Keate Public House, Preston's Road. Elevation reproduced from, and plan based on, a deed in the GLRO (MDR 1841/8/210) 632
237. Council Buildings, Raleana Road, Yabsley Street, plan. Based on plans in the GLRO (LCC/AR/HS/3/57) 633
238. Baffin Buildings, Preston's Road, plan. Based on plans in the GLRO (LCC/AR/HS/3/38) 634
239. Naval Row area. Based on the OS of 1895 635
240. No. 26 Naval Row, elevation. Measured drawing 636
241. Former Hydraulic Pumping Station, East India Dock Wall Road, elevation and plan. Measured drawing 638
242. Nos 3 and 5 Brunswick Street (Blackwall Way).Reproduced from a drawing in the GLRO, Maps and Prints (Poplar portfolio A 3208) 639
243. Blackwall Tunnel, plan of c1904. Based on the OS of 1893 and plans in the GLRO (GLC/AR/PLI/2/5) 641
244. Blackwall Tunnel, section showing the construction. Based on contemporary illustrations in Engineering, 8, 15 February 1895, pp. 169, 212, and The Engineer, 27 December 1895, p.637 642
245. Blackwall Tunnel, plans and section of the gatehouse. Based on the architect's drawings in the GLRO (GLC/AR/PLI/2/5) 643
246. Blackwall Tunnel. Longitudinal section of the tunnel under construction. Reproduced from The Engineer, December 1895, p.638 645
247. Orchard House and Leamouth area in 1803. Based on a plan in MiD (East and West India Docks, Register 1A, p.25, deed dated 2 September 1803)647
248.Orchard Place and Leamouth Road area.Based on the OS of 1867–9 650
249. Orchard Place and Leamouth Road area.Based on the OS of 1969–74 651
250. Sketch of part of the Bow Creek frontage on the west side of the Goodluck Hope peninsula in the 1880s.Reproduced from the River Thames (Prevention of Flood) Act plans in the GLRO (MBW 2745) 654–5
251. Blackwall Goods Yard, former Pepper Warehouses, site plan. Based on the OS of 1867–9 656
252. Blackwall Goods Yard, former Pepper Warehouses, plan, elevation and section of the principal warehouse. Based on survey and old photographs 657
253. Blackwall Goods Yard, former Pepper Warehouses, gateway in Leamouth Road. Based on survey and old photographs 659
254. Blackwall Goods Yard, former Pepper Warehouses, plans of the warehouse-keeper's house. Based on plans in THLHL (DA 8860, 9969) 660
255. Blackwall Goods Yard, former Pepper Warehouses, section through northern range. Based on a drawing of 1932 (ref A.2038) in possession of British Rail (Eastern Region, Stratford District) 661
256. Thames Plate Glass Works, Orchard Place, plan in 1866. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1877/7/161) 664
257. Davies Wharf, Orchard Place, sketch of the Thames Sack & Bag Company's premises.Reproduced from the River Thames (Prevention of Flood) Act plans in the GLRO (MBW 2745) 668
258. Jubilee Wharf, Orchard Place, plan and elevation of timber sheds in 1988. Measured drawing 670
259. C.J. Mare's premises, Orchard Place, plan in the mid-1850s. Based on a plan in the GLRO (MDR 1857/2/933) 674
260. Trinity House Buoy Wharf, Orchard Place, site plan in 1985. Based on a plan of 19 March 1985 in possession of Trinity House (Engineer's Department) 677
261. Trinity House Buoy Wharf, Orchard Place, former Chain and Buoy Store and Experimental Lighthouse, plan and elevation. Based on survey, old photographs and an engraving in The Illustrated London News, 18 January 1868, p.52 678–9
262. Eamonson's Iron Foundry Orchard Place, bird's-eye view in 1870. Reproduced from a letter-head in MiD (Secondary Archive 3150) 685
263. Ambassador Square, plans of a typical three-bedroom house. Based on the developers' plan issued in 1988 693
264. Jamestown Harbour. Plans of one- and two-bedroom flats as envisaged by the developers. Based on the developers' publicity material issued in 1985 694
265. Cascades apartment block, Westferry Road, ground- and eighth-floor plans. Based on The Architectural Review, April 1989, p.33 697
266. Mariners Mews, Compass Point, plans of a typical four/five-bedroom house. Based on the developers' undated plan 698
267. Cumberland Mills, south-west apartment block, second-floor plan. Based on the developers' undated plan 699
268. Lockes Field, plans of a typical four-bedroom house. Based on the developers' undated plan 700
269. Canary Wharf 708
(a) Development plan, 1988. Based on Olympia & York's site plan dated November 1988
(b) State of development in March 1993. Based on an LDDC map of Dockland, March 1992, and site survey in 1993
270. South Quay Plaza 2 office block, typical floorplan. Based on the developers' brochure, 1988 722
271. Beaufort Court, Waterside, plan of first-floor office suite. Based on the developers' plan issued in 1988 724

END POCKET PLANS

A Map of the Area showing division into Chapters

B The West India Docks in 1881. Reproduced from a plan in MiD

C (a) Modern Docklands: the Enterprise Zone and other new developments on the Isle of Dogs, 1981–92
(b) The Administrative Boundary of the London Docklands Development Corporation

Select List of Abbreviations used in the Figures

B/BR bedroom
B-SR bed-sitting-room
Bth bathroom
c/cpd cupboard
C.P. Civil Parish
Cr. crane
D. Rm dressing room
DR dining room
G garage
K kitchen
L lift
Lav. lavatory
LR living room
P pantry
Ret. Rm retiring room
Ref. refuse
Sc scullery
Sh shower
SR sitting room
St. store
W wash-house
Y yard