List of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1951

Supporting documents

Pages

11-18

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. XI-XVIII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47026 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

DESCRIPTION OF THE PLATES (fn. a)

Frontispiece. “View of London from a Gentleman's seat in Lambeth Marsh, 1804.”

KEY PLAN

PLATE
1.Plan of the manor of Kennington, 1636From a plan in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall.
2.General plan of the manor of Kennington, 1785From a survey in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall.
3.“Plan of the Princes Meadow in its present state and Design for Letting it … 1815”From Manning and Bray's History of Surrey.
4.Plan and elevation of Waterloo Bridge, circa 1817From an engraving by M. Dubourg in the Council's collection.
5.(a) Hungerford Bridge from Waterloo Bridge, 1850
(b) Waterloo Bridge, 1950
From a watercolour by Pyne in the Council's collection.
Photograph.
6.(a) Cuper's Gardens, circa 1760

(b) The shot tower east of Waterloo Bridge, 1827
From a watercolour in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall.
From a watercolour by J. Buckler in the Council's collection.
7.(a) Beaufoy's Wine Manufactory, site of Cuper's Gardens

(b) The Feathers Tavern, Cuper's Bridge
From an engraving published by R. Wilkinson in the Council's collection.
From an engraving published by R. Wilkinson in the Council's collection.
8.(a) Schools of the Benevolent Society of St. Patrick, Stamford Street, 1825

(b) London School of Printing, Stamford Street, 1950
From a watercolour by G. Yates in the Guildhall Library.
Photograph.
9.St. Andrew's Church, Coin Street, 1945Photograph from the National Buildings Record.
10.Nos. 63–91 Stamford Street, 1950; (b) Nos. 78–106 Stamford Street, 1935Photographs.
11.Waterloo Road (a) The Royal Waterloo Hospital for Children

(b) Royal Swimming Bath, 1827
From a pencil drawing by R. B. Schnebbelie in the Council's collection.
From a sepia watercolour by J. Buckler in the Council's collection.
12.St. John's Church, Waterloo Road, southwest elevationMeasured drawing by R. A. F. Riding.
13.St. John's Church, exterior, 1929Photograph, copyright of Sunbeam Photo, Ltd. Photograph, copyright of Sunbeam
14.St. John's Church, interior, circa 1930Photo, Ltd.
15.St. John's Church, plans of crypt and ground floorMeasured drawings by R. A. F. Riding.
16.St. John's Church, sections and elevationMeasured drawings by R. A. F. Riding.
17.St. John's Church, south-east elevation with plan of site insetMeasured drawing by R. A. F. Riding.
18.The old watch house, Waterloo Road, circa 1930From a lithograph by Joan Bloxam in the Council's collection.
19.Royal Coburg Theatre (a) Exterior, 1826
(b) Interior, 1818
From an engraving by D. Havell in the Council's collection.
From an engraving published by R. Wilkinson in the Council's collection.
20.The looking-glass curtain at the Royal Coburg Theatre, 1822From an engraving published by G. Humphrey in the Council's collection.
21.No. 86 Waterloo Road, detailsMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
22.No. 86 Waterloo Road, ceiling in ground storey shop, 1949Measured drawing by F. A. Evans.
23.(a) Nos. 80–86 Waterloo Road, 1826

(b)The York Hotel and adjoining buildings in York and Waterloo Roads, 1949
From the elevation by L. N. Cottingham in the British Museum.
Photograph.
24.Waterloo Bridge approach, west side, 1949 (a) Street frontage (b) BackSketches by F. A. Evans.
25.York Road, 1949 (a) South side (b) North sideSketches by F. A. Evans.
26.(a) Old toll house, Griffin Street, 1949
(b) Turnpike in York Road, 1828
Sketch by F. A. Evans.
From a sepia drawing by J. Buckler in the Council's collection.
27.(a) Lying-in Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, circa1800
(b) General Lying-in Hospital, York Road, 1950
From a watercolour in the British Museum.
Photograph.
28.(a) Manners Street from College Street, 1930 (b) College Street from Belvedere Road, 1930Photographs.
29.(a) Shot Tower and No. 63 Belvedere Road, 1930 (b) No. 6 arch, in approach road to Hungerford Bridge, 1946Photographs.
30.Shot Tower, Belvedere Road, plans, elevation and section, 1948Measured drawings by F. A. Evans.
31.The Lion Brewery, 1836From an aquatint by George Hunt after F. C. Turner in the Council's collection.
32.Lion Brewery, north-west side of Belvedere Road, 1930Photograph.
33.No. 55 Belvedere Road, elevations and plansMeasured drawings by R. G. Absolon.
34.Belvedere Road, 1946 (a) No. 55; (b) No. 59Photographs.
35.(a) Nos. 55–59 Belvedere Road, 1949; (b) Nos. 116 and 118 Belvedere Road, 1948From watercolours by M. H. Leefe.
36.Door knockers from Lambeth districtDrawn by M. H. Leefe.
37.(a) Belvedere, Lambeth circa 1720
(b) Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory, circa 1800
From a pen and ink drawing in the Council's collection.
From a watercolour in the Guildhall Library
38.Coade's Artificial Stone Manufactory (a) 1801
(b) 1827
From a watercolour by C. Tomkins in the Guildhall Library.
From a watercolour by Buckler in the possession of the Duchy of Cornwall.
39.(a) The entrance to Coade and Sealy's Gallery of Sculpture, Westminster Bridge, 1802
(b) Lambeth Waterworks, Belvedere Road, 1826
From an engraving by S. Rawle in the Council's collection.
From a watercolour by G. Yates in the Guildhall Library.
40.Boat of the Roman period uncovered on the site of County Hall, 1910Photograph.
41.(a) Buildings on the site of County Hall, 1906
(b) County Hall, 1948, from the roof of Charing Cross Station
Photograph.
From a drawing by Lawrence Wright in the Council's collection
42.County Hall, interior of Council Chamber, 1938The Times Photograph.
43.Asylum for female orphans (a) 1824
(b) Dining hall, 1808
From a watercolour drawing in the Council's collection.
From an aquatint after Pugin and Rowlandson in the Council's collection.
44.Christ Church, Westminster Bridge Road, 1950Photograph.
45.(a) Yorkshire Society's School, Westminster Bridge Road, 1885
(b) Nos. 65–75 Westminster Bridge Road, 1922
From an engraving in the Guildhall Library.
Photograph.
46.(a) Astley's Royal Amphitheatre, circa 1850
(b) Arena of Astley's Amphitheatre, circa 1810
Engraving by J. Scury after W. H. Miller.
Engraving published by R. Wilkinson.
47.Canterbury Hall, Upper Marsh, 1947 (a) Amphi entrance (b) Entrance to main hallDrawings by F. A. Evans.
48.A view of Westminster Bridge, 1791From an engraving by J. W. Edy in the Council's collection.
49.Westminster Bridge Approach, 1900Photograph.
50.(a) St. Thomas' Hospital from Westminster Bridge, 1950; (b) Westminster Bridge from Albert Embankment, 1950Photographs.
51.Manor of Lambeth Enclosure Map, 1806 (northern part)From the Council's collection.
52.Statue of Edward VI, St. Thomas' HospitalPhotograph.
53.Four figures at the main entrance to St. Thomas' Hospital, 1950Photographs.
54.Statue of Sir Robert Clayton, St. Thomas' HospitalPhotograph.
55.(a) The Mitre Public House at Stangate, 1801
(b) Roberts' Boat House, Stangate, circa 1840
Photograph of a drawing by Dan. Turner.
From a lithograph by C. W. Radclyffe in the Council's collection.
56.(a) Lambeth Reach, circa 1860; (b) West side of Stangate, site of St. Thomas' Hospital, circa 1860Photographs by W. Strudwick.
57. and 58. Prospect of London and Westminster (2 sheets)From an engraving by W. Hollar in the Council's collection.
59.Nos. 2–46 Stangate Street, strip elevation and details of doors, 1949Measured drawings by B. Shawcroft.
60.Plan of Lambeth Palace, 1648From a copy made in 1700 in the possession of the Church Commissioners.
61.Lambeth Palace, Blore's plan of the ground floor, circa 1828From the original drawing at Lambeth Palace.
62.Lambeth Palace, First floor plan showing post-war alterations, 1949–50From a working drawing by Seely and Paget.
63.Lambeth House, 1647Engraving by W. Hollar.
64.Lambeth Palace in 1697 showing the horse ferryFrom an engraving by J. Kip after L. Knyff in the Council's collection.
65.Lambeth Palace and Church, 1849From a pen and ink drawing by J. Whittock in the British Museum.
66.Lambeth Palace, 1950 (a) Morton's Tower; (b) Laud's TowerSketches by F. A. Evans.
67.(a) Lambeth Palace from the garden, 1804
(b) The cloister with parts of the Guard Room and Chapel, 1803
From an engraving by J. Greig in the Council's collection.
From an engraving by J. Roffe in the Council's collection.
68.Lambeth Palace, interior of Chapel (a) 1804
(b) After war damage, 1950
Pencil drawing by J. Whittock in the Guildhall Library.
Pencil drawing by F. A. Evans.
69.Lambeth Palace Chapel, 1924 (a) West end (b) ScreenPhotographs by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments.
70.Lambeth Palace Chapel crypt, 1949Photograph, copyright of Bedford Lemere & Co., Ltd.
71.Lambeth Palace Chapel cryptMeasured drawing by F. A. Evans.
72.(a) Water Tower; (b) North view of Lambeth Palace from the Bishop's Walk, 1828From watercolours by J. Buckler in the possession of J. H. MacDonnell.
73.Lambeth Palace, doorsMeasured drawings by R. G. Absolon.
74.Lambeth Palace, Laud's Tower, first floor doorwayMeasured drawing by F. A. Evans.
75.Lambeth Palace, Post Room, 1924Photograph from Royal Commission on Historical Monuments.
76.Lambeth Palace, Guard Room, 1940Photograph by A. F. Kersting from the National Buildings Record.
77.Lambeth Palace (a) Section of library circa 1828
(b) Great Hall, 1949
Measured drawing by Blore in Lambeth Palace Library.
Photograph, copyright of William Gordon Davis.
78.Lambeth Palace, roof of Great Hall, 1949Photograph, copyright of William Gordon Davis.
79.Lambeth Palace, north-east door of Great HallMeasured drawing by A. J. North.
80.Lambeth Palace, elevation of south front (a) 1829
(b) 1950
Measured drawing by Blore from Lambeth Palace Library.
Photograph.
81.Lambeth Palace, main staircase of residential wing, 1950Photograph.
82.Lambeth Palace, interior of oriel window above main staircase, 1950Photograph.
83.Lambeth Palace, elevation of garden front (a) 1829
(b) 1949
Measured drawing by Blore from Lambeth Palace Library.
Photograph by William Gordon Davis.
84.Church of St. Mary, LambethFrom a watercolour by E. Dayes in the Council's collection.
85.Morton's Tower, 1869 (a) Elevations; (b) PlansFrom original drawings in the possession of Seely & Pagetsion of Seely & Paget.
86.(a) “Lambeth Palace from the Thames at high water,” 1784

(b) Morton's Tower and Lambeth Church, 1950
From an engraving by Cary after Pouncy in the Council's collection.
Photograph.
87.St. Mary's Church tower, west and south elevationsMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
88.St. Mary's Church tower, section and plansMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
89.St. Mary's Church, monument to John MompessonMeasured drawing by Evelyn Prior.
90.St. Mary's Church, monument to Hugh PeyntwynMeasured drawing by F. H. Healey.
91.St. Mary's Church, 1950 (a) General view of interior looking east; (b) FontPhotographs.
92.St. Mary's Church, detail of font railMeasured drawing by A. J. North.
93.St. Mary's Churchyard tombs (a) John Tradescant (b) William Bligh (c) John SealyPencil drawings by F. A. Evans.
94.Lambeth Rectory, 1828From a watercolour drawing by J. Buckler in the Guildhall Library.
95.Lambeth Rectory, elevations and plansFrom the building lease of 1778.
96.Doorways (a) No. 6 Pratt Walk (b) No. 8 Pratt Walk (c) Lambeth Rectory, No. 214 Lambeth Road (d) No. 1 Doris StreetMeasured drawings.
97.Walnut Tree Walk, doorways, 1927 (a) No. 57 (b) No. 2 (c) No. 8 (d) No. 5Photographs.
98.(a) Nos. 35–41 Carlisle Lane, 1950 (b) Nos. 11–13 St. Mary's Walk, 1950Photographs.
99.Walnut Tree Walk, 1927 (a) Nos. 64 and 65 (b) No. 6Photographs.
100.Kennington Road, strip elevations of Nos. 121–143 and 128–104, 1949Measured drawings by R. G. Absolon.
101.Doorways (a) No. 126 Kennington Road (b) No. 118 Kennington Road (c) Nos. 60–61 Walnut Tree WalkMeasured drawings.
102.No. 139 Kennington Road, detail of entrance doorMeasured drawing by F. A. Evans.
103.No. 139 Kennington Road, detail of ground floor living roomMeasured drawing by F. A. Evans.
104.Doorways in Kennington Road (a) No. 125 (b)No. 135 (c)No. 163 (d) No. 133Measured drawings.
105.Kennington Road (a) Nos. 114 and 116, 1950 (b) No. 131, 1945Photographs.
106.(a) Church of St. Anselm, Kennington Road, 1950; (b) Church of St. Peter, Kennington Lane, interior looking towards chancel, 1950Photographs.
107.(a) No. 122 Kennington Road, 1927; (b) Walcot Square, north-east side, 1950Photographs.
108.(a) Mill in Lambeth, circa 1780
(b) The entrance to the distillery, circa 1780
Watercolour by Paul Sandby in the Guildhall Library.
Sepia watercolour by De Cort in the Council's collection.
109.(a) Carlisle House School

(b) No. 20 Carlisle Lane, 1950
Watercolour by C. J. Richardson from a sketch by J. Whichelo.
Photograph.
110.(a) Royal Street, north side, circa 1880
(b) Church of Holy Trinity, Carlisle Lane, 1950
From a watercolour in the Council's collection.
Photograph.
111.(a) Houses in Lambeth Road opposite the church, circa 1860
(b) Stiff's drain pipe manufactory
Photograph by William Strudwick.
Watercolour.
112.(a) Old houses on the east side of High Street, 1885
(b) Watch house in the High Street, 1828
From a watercolour in the Council's collection.
Sepia watercolour by J. C. Buckler.
113.(a) No. 8 Bolwell Street, 1950; (b) Church of St. Mary the Less, Black Prince Road, 1950Photographs.
114.(a) Old Swan Yard, Fore Street, circa 1860; (b) Fore Street and the corner of Ferry Street, circa 1860Photographs by William Strudwick.
115.(a) Lambeth Chapel, Lambeth Road

(b) Lambeth Walk, 1886
From an aquatint by C. Rosenberg after T. D. W. Dearn in the Council's collection.
From a watercolour in the Council's collection.
116.(a) Parochial school for boys, 1815

(b) Ragged School, Newport Street, in 1851
From an ink and wash drawing by R. B. Schnebbelie in the Council's collection.
From a watercolour in the Guildhall Library.
117. (a) No. 14 Old Paradise Street, 1908;
(b) Nos. 49–53 High Street, 1908
Photographs.
118.(a) Old houses on the Albert Embankment near Vauxhall Bridge, 1886
(b) No. 85 Albert Embankment, north front, 1950
From a watercolour in the Council's collection.
Photograph.
119.(a) Lambeth Bridge and toll house, 1896;
(b) River frontage of Fore Street, south of Lambeth Bridge, circa 1860
Photographs.
120.(a) Vauxhall Manor House

(b) Nos 28–42 Vauxhall Walk, 1950
From an engraving by W. Read after Nash in the Council's collection.
Photograph.
121.(a) House on the north side of Broad Street, circa 1828; (b) Houses in Fore Street, 1828From sepia watercolours by J. C. Buckler in the Council's collection.
121.Royal Doulton Potteries, Albert Embankment, 1940Photograph copyright of Royal Doulton Potteries.
123.Plan of Vauxhall Manor, 1681From the original in the possession of the Church Commissioners.
124.Plan of Vauxhall Gardens, 1785From the survey belonging to the Duchy of Cornwall.
125.Vauxhall Gardens (a) The Temple of Comus, 1753
(b) Triumphal arches
Engraving by Muller after Canaletto.
Engraving by Muller after Wale.
126.Vauxhall Gardens (a) The Grand Walk
(b) Music room
Engraving by Rooker after Canaletto.
Engraving by Roberts after Wale.
127.A general prospect of Vauxhall GardensEngraving by Muller after Wale.

Footnotes

a Unless otherwise stated the photographs are the copyright of the London County Council.