Vauxhall Walk

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1951

Supporting documents

Page

145

Citation Show another format:

'Vauxhall Walk', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 145. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47061 Date accessed: 24 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHAPTER 32 - VAUXHALL WALK

On the 1745 edition of Rocque's map Vauxhall Walk (or Lowner's Lane) is shown as a lane with hedges and fields on either side leading from Lambeth Butts (Black Prince Road) to Vauxhall Gardens. In 1768 the Duchy of Cornwall granted a building lease of ground on the west side of the road to William Pace and 28 houses were erected there; (ref. 35) of these only 8 survive.

Architectural Description

Nos. 28–42 (Plate 120b) form a group of terrace houses built in stock brick with red brick arches above the flush-framed windows. Some of the houses have a brick band at first floor level and the fronts (excepting No. 42 which has eaves) are parapeted with plain copings. Over the entrance to No. 28 is a stone tablet incised—
“Vauxhall Walk”
1769

The doorcases of Nos. 28–34 have narrow panelled wood surrounds and consoles supporting poorly detailed pediments. Nos. 36 and 38 have doorways with wood architrave surrounds, and shaped consoles carrying the pediments; the consoles have flat clockface pendants. The doorway to No. 40 has wing lights surmounted by a pediment; it is masked by a wood trellis porch.

Wesleyan Chapel and Schools

The Chapel, which stands back from the road, is built in yellow stock brick in Gothic style with lancet windows. The approach is flanked by the Boys' and Girls' Schools of ragstone. Tablets in the gables state that the Chapel and Boys' and Girls' Schools were built respectively in 1841, 1849 and 1852.


Figure 52: Nos. 38–28 Vauxhall Walk, 1950. Measured drawing by A. R. Hansen

References

35. Duchy of Cornwall Office, Hodskinson and Middleton's Survey of Kennington, 1785.