Jeffreston - Jordanston

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis

Year published

1849

Supporting documents

Pages

443-445

Citation Show another format:

'Jeffreston - Jordanston', A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 443-445. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47837 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

J

Jeffreston

JEFFRESTON a parish, in the union and hundred of Narberth, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 7 miles (S. by W,) from Narberth; containing 644 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on a well-wooded eminence, and forms a conspicuous and interesting feature in the views from the adjacent parts of the country. Near the turnpike-road from Narberth to Pembroke, which passes through the parish, and about half-way between Creswell-Quay and the church, is Cresselly, a seat surrounded with luxuriant plantations. The substrata of the parish are stone coal and culm, which have been wrought to a very great extent, and still continue to be procured, though on a smaller scale. The mines are thought to be nearly exhausted, but it is probable that, by carrying the shaft to a greater depth, an abundant supply may still be obtained. The coal is conveyed by a tramroad to the pier at Saundersfoot, on Carmarthen bay, and there shipped for the coast of Cardiganshire, &c.; many tons of the large coal are carried thence to the London market, for malting purposes, it being free from all bituminous qualities. The living is a vicarage, rated in the king's books at £4. 17. 6., and endowed with £200 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant; present net income, £134; patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Jeffrey and St. Oswald, is not distinguished by any remarkable architectural features. A school, erected in 1835, and conducted on the National system, is principally supported by the family at Cresselly; and a Sunday school is also held in connexion with the Church.

John's (St.)

JOHN'S (ST.) juxta Swansea, a parish, in the borough, union, and hundred of Swansea, county of Glamorgan, South Wales; adjoining the sea-port town of Swansea, and containing, in 1841, 913 inhabitants. The name of this place, in Welsh "Eglwys Ieuan Aber Tawe," is derived from the dedication of its church, which originally belonged to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, and from its situation adjacent to the town of Swansea, immediately below which the river Tawe discharges its waters into the Bristol Channel. The parish is small, containing not more than six farms of moderate size, and extending not quite a mile in length in a northern direction from Swansea. The scenery in and near St. John's is not nearly so engaging as that by which the environs of the borough on the south-west side are distinguished; but the distant views comprehend some pleasing features, with a fine prospect, from parts of the parish, of the Bristol Channel and the coast of Devonshire. The Havod copper-works, in the parish, belonging to Messrs. Vivian, employ a very large number of persons; there are also some coal-works, and a manufactory of tobacco-pipes. The whole of the parish is included within the boundaries of the contributory borough of Swansea.

The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant; net income, £100; patron and impropriator, Sir John Morris. The church, dedicated to St. John, having fallen into a state of dilapidation, was taken down and rebuilt in 1824, towards defraying the expense of which the Incorporated Society for building and enlarging churches and chapels granted £575; the remainder was made up by subscription, through the exertions of the Rev. Henry Williams. The structure, which is situated within the town of Swansea, is a plain massive edifice, without any tower, and contains 1000 free sittings, in consideration of the grant above-mentioned, affording great accommodation to the inhabitants of part of the town. The service is performed both in the English and Welsh languages. Near the copper-works are some schools with appropriate offices, erected by J. H. Vivian, Esq., M.P., at his sole cost, and capable of accommodating nearly 800 children; they are conducted on the British and Foreign system, and supported by a stoppage on the workmen's wages. There is a place of worship for Independents, who are a numerous body here.

Johnston

JOHNSTON, a parish, in the union of Haverfordwest, hundred of Rhôs, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 3¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Haverfordwest, on the road to Milford; containing 289 inhabitants. The environs of this place are pleasant, and contain some agreeable scenery, with several respectable seats. Johnston Hall, an ancient mansion, was for a long time the residence of the late Lord Kensington. The lands, which are all freehold, are chiefly inclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. The parish abounds with culm and limestone; the former is worked for the supply of the neighbourhood, and the latter also on a limited scale, chiefly to be burnt for manure. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the living of Steynton, rated in the king's books at £2. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Crown; present net income of the benefice, £322. The tithes of Johnston parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of £105, and the glebe comprises twenty-five acres, valued at £25 per annum; with a glebe-house. The church is not distinguished by any peculiar architectural features. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A National school was erected in 1834, at the expense of the late J. Bowen, Esq., of Johnston, together with a grant from the National Society; and two Sunday schools are held, one of them in connexion with the Church, and the other with the Baptist denomination.

Jordanston

JORDANSTON, a parish, in the poor-law union of Haverfordwest, hundred of Dewisland, county of Pembroke, South Wales, 4 miles (S. W.) from Fishguard; containing 157 inhabitants. This parish appears to have derived its name from an ancient estate within its limits; it is pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, and is intersected by a stream which falls into the river Hog. The scenery is agreeably diversified, and the views of the adjacent district comprehend a variety of interesting features. In the parish are, Jordanston, the ancient family mansion of the Vaughans, situated in a retired part of the country, and commanding much pleasing scenery; and Llangwaren, an ancient residence, with an extensive and well-cultivated farm attached to it. The living is a discharged rectory, rated in the king's books at £6. 3. 9., and endowed with £400 royal bounty; patron, G. G. Vaughan, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for a rentcharge of £86, and the glebe comprises six acres, valued at £8 per annum. The church, dedicated to St. Cwrda, is a small neat edifice. Here are some remains of a circular encampment, generally ascribed to the Danes.



<--Previous:
Iddole - Is-Y-Graig