ABSTRACT OF CHARTERS AND DOCUMENTS.
Supplementary to Abstract printed in Part II., pp. 429–490.
(The figures and letters within brackets [ ] indicate the position which the supplementary
abstracts should occupy chronologically with the abstracts printed in Part II.
8 January 1106-7–27 April 1124.
268 [Oa]. INQUISITION made by DAVID, Prince of Cumbria, in the reign of King
Alexander I., into the lands belonging to the Church of Glasgow, which were found to
comprise inter alia "Cunclut," probably Kinclaith, now forming part of Glasgow Green.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 3, No. 1.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland (Supplement), vol. xii., p. 1.
24 May 1153–9 December 1165.
269 [0b]. CHARTER by KING MALCOLM IV. granting to Engelram, bishop of
Glasgow, and his successors, the lands of Cunclud to compensate for the king's transgression against the Church in granting certain lands to his barons and knights without
sufficiently securing the Church in its dues. Ante 1165.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 16, No. 15.
WILLIAM THE LION.
9 December 1165–4 December 1214.
270 [0c]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to the dean and canons of
Glasgow, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all their canonical possessions,
including the parish of Glasgw, the Church of Guvan with all Perdehic, a carrucate of
land in Glasgw, with the Church of Cadiho, &c. 25 March 1172.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 25, No. 28.
271 [0d]. CHARTER by KING WILLIAM THE LION granting to the bishop the
lands of Conclud, Cader, and Badermonoc. 1165-1174.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 28, No. 29.
272 [0e]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to Bishop Jocelin and his
successors, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all the possessions present
and future of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgu, Guvan, Partheic, Dalmurneck,
Conclud, &c. 29 April 1174.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 30, No. 32.
273 [1a]. BULL by POPE ALEXANDER III. addressed to Bishop Jocelin and his
successors, taking under his protection and that of St. Peter all the possessions present
and future of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgu with all its pertinents, the burgh
of Glasgu with all its liberties which William, King of Scots, granted to it, Guvan,
Pertheic, "villam filie Sedin" [Schedinestun], Kader, Badermonoc, Ballain, and Conclud.
Rome 19 April 1179.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 42, No. 51.
274 [2a]. BULL by POPE LUCIUS III. similar in terms to No. 273. Rome, 17
March 1181. In this bull "villam filie Sedin" becomes "villam filie Scadin."
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 49, No. 57.
275 [2b]. BULL by POPE URBAN III. confirming to Bishop Joceline all his possessions, including that place in which the Church of Glasgow is situated, the burgh of
Glasgw, Neutun, Garuah, Dalmornoc, Carnedin, Cragu, Guvan, Perthec, Schedinestun,
Buthlornoc, Barlannarc, Cader, Badermonoc, Ballain, Conclud, and a number of other
places mentioned. Verona, 12 June 1186.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 54, No. 62.
4 December 1214–8 July 1249.
276 [4a]. BULL by POPE HONORIUS III. confirming to the bishop the possessions
of the Church of Glasgow, including Glasgow, Guvan, Sedinchistun, and Conclud.
19 October 1216.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 94, No. 111.
277 [4b]. GRANT by WILLIAM CUMYN, Earl of Buchan, of a stone of wax
annually at Glasgow fair for light at the daily celebration of mass at the altar of St.
Kentigern's tomb. Ante 1223.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 101, No. 117.
278 [9a]. CHARTER by KING ALEXANDER II. granting to William, bishop of
Glasgow and his successors, his lands around Glasgu, viz., the lands of Conclud,
Shedinestun, Ballayn, Badermonoc, Possele, Kenmor, Garvach, Neutun, Leys,
Rammishoren, and the land of the burgh, and other lands of the manor of Glasgu, to
be held forever in free forest, and forbidding anyone to cut wood or hunt therein
without their licence. Kirketun, 12 September 1241.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 147, No. 180.
8 July 1249–19 March 1286.
279 [11a]. OBLIGATION undertaken by the canons of the Cathedral during a
vacancy in the see, providing that if any of them should be elected bishop, he should
remove the palace which stood without the castle of Glasgow, and give its site with other
ground adjoining for houses for the canons. Glasgow, 2 January 1258.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 166, No. 208.
280 [11b]. CHARTER by John, bishop of Glasgow, with consent of the chapter,
granting to Sir William de Cadihow, a canon of the Church of Glasgow, a portion of the
bishop's garden at Glasgow, with the trees and buildings thereon, subject to the condition
that he should make and maintain a sufficient cloister between his portion and the bishop's
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 177, No. 217.
281 [11c]. OBLIGATION similar to No. 279. Glasgow, 1268.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 174, No. 213.
19 March 1285-6—September 1290.
282 [13a]. CHARTER by FINLAY JAGER, son of Radulph Jager, burgess of
Glasgow, after making offer in three courts of the burgh, as manner is, in his great
poverty, conveying to Sir James, called of Reinfru, chaplain, his house and garden with
buildings pertaining to the same in the street which extends from the wall of the friars
preachers, over against the castle, on the south side of said street, situated between the
land of the monastery of Kilwinyn on the one part, and the land which Robert, the
procurator, formerly a burgess of Glasgow, and Cristina his wife, conveyed in augmentation of the light of the blessed Virgin Mary in the crypt of the greater Church of Glasgow,
on the other part. Sealed with the seal of the granter and the common seal of the City of
Glasgow. Glasgow, circa 1290.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 198, No. 237.
September 1290–17 November 1292.
17 November 1292—July 1296.
July 1296–26 March 1306.
283 [14a]. CHARTER by ALAN, perpetual vicar of the Church of Glasgow, and
sacristan of the said church, granting, with consent of the chapter, to Sir John of Carrick,
then chaplain of the parish of Glasgow, all that land then vacant lying within the
burgh of Glasgow opposite the Friars Preachers, between the land of Malcolm called
Scot, on the north, and the vennel or road of the said preachers, on the south, for an
annual payment of three shillings. Sealed with the seals of the granter, of the official,
and of the community of Glasgow. Glasgow, circa 1300.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 216, No. 254.
284 [14b]. GRANT by the bishop and chapter to the Friars Preachers of Glasgow of
a spring called the meadow well rising in the Denside, to be conducted into the cloisters
of the friars, 17 August 1304, and confirmation of the grant by the chapter of Glasgow.
24 August 1304.
Transumpt in the Archives of the University.
Registratum Episcopatus Glasguensis, Preface, p. xxxiii.
Monumenta Fratrum Predicatorum de Glasgu (Maitland Club), No. 6, p. 151.
20 February 1437.8–3 August 1460.
285 [26a]. FOUNDATION by PATRICK LEICHE, chancellor of the cathedral,
of a new chapel with the chaplainry thereof, to St. Mauchan, within the nave of the
cathedral, on the north side, at the altar of St. Mauchan, at the third pillar from the roodloft; and for support of the same conveying certain tenements and annual rents from
tenements situated in the High Street and Ratonraw; and providing that after the death
of the founder the presentation to the chapel should belong to the community and
bailies of the city and burgh of Glasgow, who should present a qualified chaplain, who
must be a burgess of the city, preference being given to relatives of the founder.
Glasgow, 6 March 1458-9.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 392, No. 369.
3 August 1460–11 June 1488.
286 [32a]. CHARTER by BISHOP MUIRHEAD confirming a charter by which
James Douglas of Achincassil founded a chaplainry of ten pounds with a chaplain, within
the nave of the cathedral, on the south side, at the altar of St. Cuthbert, and conveyed
annual rents from tenements in the burghs of Glasgow and Linlithgow for support of the
same; (fn. 1) the presentation thereto, after the founder's death, being given to the provost,
bailies, and community of the burgh and city of Glasgow. 29 January 1472-3.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 419, No. 396.
287 [35a]. CHARTER under the GREAT SEAL by King James III., whereby,
for the singular favour and regard which he bore towards the Friars Minors, and for the
welfare of his soul, he mortified to them the sites belonging to these friars within the
burgh of Edinburgh, the city of St. Andrews, and the burgh of Aberdeen, and also
the site within the city of Glasgow, gifted by John, Bishop of Glasgow, with the consent
of his chapter, and by Thomas Fersithe, rector of Glasgow. Edinburgh, 21 December
Registrum Magni Sigilli, lib. ix., No. 2.
Great Seal Register, 1424-1513, (Lord Clerk Register's Edition), vol. i., p. 296, No. 1434.
288 [36a]. FOUNDATION by THOMAS of FORSITH, canon of Glasgow, of a
new chaplainry with a chaplain, in the nave of the cathedral, on the north side, at
the altar of Corpus Christi, at the fourth pillar from the rood-loft; and for the
support of the same conveying inter alia four merks of annual rent from the tolbooth
(pretorium) of the city and burgh of Glasgow lying adjacent to the market cross of
Glasgow, and extending towards the west to the chapel of the Virgin Mary. 16 June
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 452, No. 446.
289. BULL by POPE INNOCENT VIII. exempting the bishop of Glasgow from
the jurisdiction of the archbishop of St. Andrews., Rome, 8 Kalends of June, 1488.
Theiner's Vetera Monumenta Hibernorum et Scotorum, p. 502.
11 June 1488–9 September 1513.
290 [37a] ACT of PARLIAMENT empowering the earl of Lennox, lord Lile, and
Matthew Stewart to apprehend and punish criminals in Glasgow and other places therein
specified, during the minority of the king (James IV.) (1488 c. 9). Edinburgh, 17
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. ii., p. 280.
291 [37b]. PRECEPT by KING JAMES IV., addressed in special to the burgesses,
freemen, and inhabitants of his burghs of Are, Erwyne, Renfrew, Dunbartan, Ruglene,
and Glasgu, charging them, as he had lately granted to the abbot and convent of Paisley
the town of Paisley in a free burgh of barony, not to take in hand to vex or trouble the
abbot and convent in the enjoyment of that burgh and the privileges thereof.
Edinburgh, 18 October 1488.
Registrum Monasterii de Passelet, p. 274.
292 [37c]. ACT of PARLIAMENT ordaining that, for the honour and public good
of the realm the see of Glasgow be erected into an Archbishopric, with such privileges as
accords of law, and such as the Archbishopric of York has in all dignities, immunities,
and privileges, as use and custom are, and as shall be agreed between the bishop of Glasgow
and the prelates and barons with whom the king may advise; and that none of the king's
lieges do in the contrary, under the king's indignation and pain of breaking the act of
Parliament (1488, c. 2). Edinburgh, 14 January 1488-9.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. ii., p. 213.
293 [39a]. BULL by POPE INNOCENT VIII. erecting the See of Glasgow into
an Archbishopric, and constituting the bishops of Dunkeld, Dunblane, Galloway, and
Argyle its suffragans. Rome, the 5th of the Ides of January [9 January] 1491-2.
Codex Universitatis Glasguensis, fol. 873.
Codex Civitatis Glasguensis, fol. 119.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 470, No. 457.
Theiner's Vetera Monumenta Hiberniarum et Scotorum, p. 505.
294 [42c]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Huchonsoun, citizen
of Glasgow, of two roods of the common lands of Glasgow, lying in the king's highway
thereof, extending from the Barresyet to the bridge on the south side of the street
(Bridgegate), between the common lands on the east and west and the Molendinar burn, to
which these roods extend, on the south, and the street on the north; granting with
express consent of the provost and community there present that the west parts of the
roods towards the bridge should be the designation and site of a vennel to extend in
length from the public street to the Molendinar, and in breadth from the extreme
boundaries of the roods towards the bridge, so that the lands adjoining on the west side
should not be occupied by any one or closed up with buildings. For payment to the
treasury or common purse of Glasgow of 16s. 8d. yearly in name of feufarm. Glasgow,
21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 287,
vol. ii., p. 32.
295 [42d]. INSTRUMENT on the protest by Patrick Blacader, knight, procurator
for the citizens and community of Glasgow, that the grant of the vennel made by the
provost, bailies, and community to Thomas Huchonsone on the west side of his own
lands, should not prejudice the tack of the other common lands towards the bridge.
Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 289,
vol. ii., p. 36.
296 [42e]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of David Lindsay, bailie of
Glasgow, of two roods of the common lands of the city, lying in the king's highway
leading from the Barresyet to the bridge on the south side of the highway, for payment
yearly to the treasury or common purse of the community of Glasgow of 16s. 8d. in name
of feufarm. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 290,
vol. ii., p. 36.
297 [42f]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Alexander Gayne of two roods
of land belonging to the community of Glasgow, lying on the south side of the king's
highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, for payment yearly to the treasury or
common purse of the community of Glasgow of 20s. in name of feufarm. Glasgow, 21
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 290,
vol. ii., p. 37.
298 [42g]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Boyde of two roods of
land belonging to the community of Glasgow lying on the south side of the highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, and adjoining the lands of Alexander Gayne, for
payment yearly of 13s. 4d. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 291,
vol. ii., p. 38.
299 [42h]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Alan Morsoun of two roods of
land belonging to the community of Glasgow lying in the south side of the king's highway leading from the Barresyet to the bridge, adjoining the lands of Thomas Boyde, for
payment yearly of 10s. Glasgow, 21 April 1503.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 291,
vol. ii., p. 39.
300 [42a]. PROTEST by THOMAS HUCHONSOUN, one of the bailies of Glasgow,
appearing in name of the whole community of the city before Robert, archbishop of
Glasgow, and his chapter, that the community and their posterity should not be
prejudiced with respect to the custom of the payment of mort dues, whatever John Curry
might do, or whatever might be done against him, in the cause between him and Mr.
David Chonigham, second vicar of Glasgow, respecting the custom of paying mort dues
in the parish of Glasgow. Glasgow, 9 March 1503-4.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 296,
vol. ii., p. 48.
301 [42b]. PROTEST by DAVID CONIGHAM, second vicar of Glasgow, before
the archbishop and chapter with reference to the action of the community in the
same matter. Glasgow, 9 March 1503-4.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), &c., vol. i., p. 297,
vol. ii., p. 49.
302 [42i]. INSTRUMENT narrating the presentation by Mr. Martin Rede, chancellor
of Glasgow (who claimed in virtue of his office to be master of the Grammar Schools there),
of Mr. John Rede to the said schools, and protest thereon by Sir John Stewart of Mynto,
knight, provost of Glasgow, and others, who claimed for the provost, bailies, and community the right of admitting the said Mr. John and the other masters of the schools of
Glasgow; upon which protest both parties referred themselves to the foundation and
letters of the late Mr. Simon Dalgles [No. 28]. Glasgow, 19 June 1508.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 427,
vol. ii., p. 267.
303 [44a]. FOUNDATION by SIR ARCHIBALD CALDERWOOD, vicar of
Cadder, conveying certain annual rents out of his place "anent the patigoge" of Glasgow,
and his place on "the freyr wall" of Glasgow, to the Black Friars, the regents and
students of the pedagogy, and others, for prayers, masses and other purposes; appointing
the dean of Faculty of Glasgow to be overseer in the premises; and leaving eightpence
yearly therefrom to St. Mungo's bell to pass through the town on All Souls' day, and on
the morrow to "gar pray" for the souls of his father, mother, himself and all Christians.
27 November 1509.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 522, No. 489.
304 [44b]. NOTARIAL INSTRUMENT narrating proceedings in a case before the
Chancellor and Official General and his commissary against John Schaw, Allan Steward,
and Thomas Law, bailies of the burgh of Glasgow, and other fellow citizens therein
named, for establishing and recording in their book of Acts certain statutes against the
jurisdiction of Holy Mother Church, to the effect that no citizen ought to summon another
citizen before a spiritual judge ordinary respecting a matter which could competently be
decided before the bailies in the court house of Glasgow, and for fining Allan Leitham for
complaining to the official against Archibald Watson, a fellow citizen, wherein compeared
Matthew, Earl of Lennox, provost of Glasgow, to defend the said bailies and citizens, and
protested they would not recede from their lawful exceptions and defences of law to be
afterwards brought forward at suitable time and place. Glasgow, 7 December 1510.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 495,
vol. ii., p. 385.
305 [44c]. NOTARIAL INSTRUMENT narrating that Matthew, Earl of Lennox,
provost of Glasgow, as procurator for the bailies and certain other citizens of Glasgow
appeared before James, Archbishop of Glasgow, and his chapter, and publicly confessed
in their name that they had fined Allan Leithame 8s. for injury done by him to
Archibald Watson in calling the said Archibald before another judge "for half ane
hundredth lentern waire." Also, Instrument on the renunciation by the provost, in name
of himself and the citizens of Glasgow, of all statutes—if any were made by them—
against the liberty and jurisdiction of Holy Mother Church, promising never to put them
in execution. Glasgow, 16 January 1510-1.
Diocesan Registers of Glasgow (Liber Protocollorum M. Cuthberti Simonis), vol. i., p. 499,
vol. ii., p. 390.
9 September 1513–16 December 1542.
306 [45a]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh
and city of Glasgow, with the consent of the archbishop, whereby, on the supplication of the
kirk-masters and the rest of the Skinners' and Furriers' Crafts, they ratified and approved
the following articles:—(1) No person of these crafts to set up booth within the burgh
unless he were first a freeman found sufficiently able and worthy in workmanship and
otherwise, and admitted thereto by the provost, bailies, and council and sworn masters of
the crafts. (2) Each craftsman to pay for his upset, if a freeman's son, 5s., and if an
unfreeman's son 10s., Scots money, to the reparation and upholding of divine service at
their altar of St. Mungo. (3) No masters to reset any other master's apprentice or
freeman, under the penalty of a pound of wax for each offence. (4) Each master to
pay a penny weekly to the adornments of the altar and vestments of the priest.
(5) No false stuff to be sold to the king's lieges, under penalty of half a pound of wax to
the altar, the false stuff being confiscated. (6) Any persons intromitting with or withholding the goods of the altar and crafts customs, to pay and deliver the same, with the
expense of his proper goods if he be in fault. (7) The kirkmasters and principals for
the time to have power, along with an officer of the town, to poind and distrain for the
foresaid duties to the upholding of God's service; and (8) The craftsmen to have the
solemnity of the feast of their altar on the Sunday next after St. James' day. Glasgow,
28 May 1516.
Notarial copy of Seal of Cause, dated 8 December 1707, in the Archives of Skinners'
Annals of the Skinners' Craft in Glasgow, 1875, p. 114.
307 [45b]. ACTION at the instance of the Lord Governor of the kingdom and
Matthew Hucheson, porter of the castle of Glasgow, against Adam Stewart in Windolaw
and John Pollok, his servant, for spulzeing out of the porter's lodge of the castle, on 20
February, 1516, "ane lettroun and in it tua obligaciones tua ellis of small quhyte
clayth and xxvij lib. of money," which Hucheson had received for wine and flour belonging to the Lord Governor. The Lords of Council ordained Stewart and Pollok to restore
what they took to Hucheson. 6 November 1516.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxviii., f. 49.
308 [45c]. JOHN MUIR of CALDWELL compeared and constituted Mr. John
Lethame, Mr. Thomas Hamilton, and Mr. Robert Galbraith, his procurators in the above
action of spulzie. 25 February 1517.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxx., f. 200.
309. [45d]. PROTEST by Mr. JOHN LETHAME, procurator for the laird of
Caldwell, that if a decreet was obtained against him for the goods spulzied above, that he
might have action against the remanent persons at the spulzie. 1 March 1517.
Acta Dom. Concilii, vol. xxx., f. 210.
310 [46a]. FOUNDATION by ROLLAND BLACADYR, subdean of Glasgow, of
a chapel in the cathedral, and an hospital near the Stabyllgreyn and providing inter
alia for the yearly payment of fourteen pence to the minor sacristan for ringing the bells
on the death of the founder and his parents, and of fourpence to the ringer of St.
Kentigern's bell through the town; and ordaining his chaplain every year to elect sixty
poor people having hearth, house, and household in the city of Glasgow, to be present in
the church at his obituary celebrations, and to pray for the souls of his parents, himself,
and all the faithful dead, for which services each was to be paid eightpence. Post 1524.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 537, No. 495.
Notarial copy in Archives of the Andersonian University.
311 [47a]. BOND of MANRENT by Robert Stewart of Minto, provost of the
city of Glasgow, binding himself to "becumin man and servitur" to James, Earl of Arran.
The bond is conceived in the usual terms of such deeds, and is to endure so long as the
granter remains provost of Glasgow. Glasgow, 18 October 1527.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Hamilton.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Eleventh Report, Appendix, part vi. (The Manuscripts
of the Duke of Hamilton), p. 34.
312 [47b]. ACTION at the instance of the king's advocate against James Lam for
having passed to the court of Rome in November 1524 (the see of Glasgow being then
vacant), and the bulls thereof at that time not having been brought home nor presented
to the king, nor Gavyne, now archbishop of Glasgow, admitted to the temporality thereof;
and there as a barratour, without advice or licence of his majesty, having purchased the
chancelary of Glasgow, alleging the same to be vacant by the resignation of Sir
David Renzeane. The office of chancelary had previously been disposed of by the king
(to whom it belonged by right and privilege of his crown), and by his cousin John, duke
of Albany, his tutor, in his name, to Mr. John Leschman, and Lam as a barratour, had
raised bulls and process upon the gift so obtained by him, and molested Leschman. The
Lords of Council decreed that Lam had broken the act of parliament in purchasing
the chancelary of Glasgow at the court of Rome without advice or licence, and therefore had incurred prescription, rebellion, and banishment, and was never to bruik the
benefit, heritage, honour, nor dignity, within the realm in time to come, as an example
to others. 5 November 1527.
Acta Dominorum Concilii, vol. xxxviii., f. 3.
313 [47c]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council, and community of
Glasgow, with consent of the archbishop, whereby, on the supplication of the Webster
craft, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) Apprentices to serve five years.
(2) Each apprentice to pay 5s. for upholding divine service at their altar; no person to set
up booth till found worthy by the masters of the craft and made freeman of the town.
(3) At upset of booth, each craftsman to pay two merks to the altar. (4) No master to
harbour another man's apprentice or servant under penalty of a contribution to the altar
at the discretion of the masters. (5) Each man or woman having a booth to pay a penny
weekly to the altar. (6) No craftsman to take work unless he has good work-looms, or
to take another man's work after it is warped without his leave, under penalty of a pound
of wax to the altar. (7) Each servant to pay one halfpenny weekly to the altar. (9)
The craftsmen to choose a deacon yearly. (10) Anyone disobeying the deacon, to pay a
pound of wax to the altar and 8s. to the magistrates; and (11) The principal masters
of the craft to have power, along with an officer of the town, to poind for the duties
foresaid. Glasgow, 4 June 1528.
Narrated in Act of Parliament in favour of the Weavers, 1681, c. 140. Acts of the Parliaments
of Scotland, vol. viii., p. 396.
314 [50a]. LETTER by KING JAMES V. to the provost, bailies, aldermen, and
communities of Glasgow and Dumbarton, requiring them to deliver to William Stirling
of Glorat, deputy captain of the castle of Dumbarton, three or four tuns of wines out of
every ship that came to their waters with wines, for provisioning the king and the
castle, he paying therefor the same price as was paid for the remanent part thereof.
Stirling, 3 April 1533.
Original in the Archives at Keir.
The Stirlings of Keir, by Sir William Fraser, p. 351.
315 [50b]. LETTER by MATHEW, fourth earl of Lennox, to his brother, Sir John
Stewart, captain of the Scotch Guard, afterwards lord Aubigny, wherein he, inter alia,
requested Sir John to obtain letters from the king of France and others to the Pope, to
the French ambassador at Rome, and to the College of Cardinals, for expediting some
business which the archbishop of Glasgow had to transact at Rome with reference to the
privileges and freedom of the kirk of Glasgow; and reminding him that the house of
Lennox were servants to St. Mungo and bound to defend the interests of that kirk.
Dated at Edinburgh, 15 August [circa 1535].
Historical MSS. Commission. Appendix to Third Report, p. 395, No. 189.
316 [50b]. SEAL of CAUSE by Robert Stewart of Minto, provost, and George
Burall, and Patrick Leon, bailies of the burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby, on the
application of the headsmen and masters of the Hammermen Craft, including blacksmiths, goldsmiths, lorimers, sadlers, buckle-makers, armourers, and others within the
burgh, they, with the consent of the Archbishop, ordained as follows:—(1) No person of
the craft to set up booth within the burgh till he was made a freeman, and examined
by three of the best masters of the craft and found qualified. (2) Each person so
admitted to pay 20s. of upset to the upholding of divine service at St. Eloy's altar, and
10s. to the same for each apprentice taken by him. (3) No craftsman to employ
another man's apprentice or servant till his apprenticeship was completed. (4) No
craftsman to allow any one but his apprentice or feed servant to work within his booth
so that he might be answerable for their work and fines. (5) No craftsman to allow
another man's apprentice or servant to work with him until it was clearly understood
that he was free of all men's service. (6) Each Saturday afternoon two or three masters,
chosen for the purpose to examine the sufficiency in material and workmanship of the
craftsmen's work, and to forbid faulty work under penalty of forfeiture. (7) The craftsmen to convene when ordered, and to inform the provost and bailies of any infringement
of these statutes. (8) Infringers of these statutes to pay for each offence a pound of
wax to the altar. (9) Should the masters and headsmen of the craft fail to enforce these
statutes they to be corrected and punished by the provost and bailies. Sealed with
the seal of Gavin, archbishop of Glasgow, the common seal of the chapter of his kirk, and
the common seal of the city. Glasgow, 11 October 1536.
Copy in Minute Book of the Incorporation of Hammermen.
317 [51a]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of Thomas Flemyng, vicar pensioner of Glasgow, and his successors, in a tenement and orchard in the Stabyll Greyne
extending from the public road at the head of the town leading to the "twa crocis,"
between the archbishop's palace on the south, the vicars' yards on the east and north, and
the street on the west; which tenement and yard were resigned by Sir Andrew Crystesoun,
chaplain, with consent of Sir Mark Jamesoun,—the latter of whom directed certain payments to be made out of the rents to the master of the Singing School of the Metropolitan
Kirk of Glasgow, for singing nightly a gloriosa of three parts of prechat singing, as it
was made and set by Thomas Painter, and to certain priests, St. Mungo's bell and
twenty four poor householders for masses, lights, and prayers for the souls of Thomas
Painter, Sir Alexander Painter, and others. Glasgow, 5 November 1539.
Original in the Archives of the City.
See No. 340, p. 22.
16 December 1542–29 July 1567.
318 [52a] ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, ordaining the provost and bailies of
Glasgow to put order and prices on all manner of stuff within the town, such as flesh,
bread, and ale, to be sold to the French army upon the prices therein specified. Glasgow,
7 June 1545.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 3.
319 [52b] LETTERS of BAILIARY by Gavin, Archbishop of Glasgow, with consent
of the chapter, constituting and appointing James, Earl of Arran, Protector and
Governor of Scotland, and his heirs, to act as bailies and justices of all lands of the
barony and regality of Glasgow, for the term of nineteen years, with full power to hold
courts, &c.; but forbidding the earl to appoint or remove officers without consent of the
archbishop or his successors. Glasgow, 1545.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Hamilton.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Eleventh Report, Appendix, part, vi. (The Manuscripts
of the Duke of Hamilton), p. 221.
320 [52c]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the
burgh and city of Glasgow, with consent of the Archbishop, whereby on the supplication of
the kirkmasters and other masters of the Tailor Craft, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) Each apprentice to serve four years. (2) Each apprentice to pay half a
merk at his entry for the upkeep of divine service at their altar of St. Anne. (3) Any
man setting up booth to pay for his upset 20 s. (4) No master to reset or harbour any
other master's apprentice or servant. (5) Each master holding booth to pay a penny
weekly to the reparation and adornment of their altar. (6) No craftsman to spoil anyman's cloth that he takes to make, under the penalty of making the same good to the
owner. (7) The principal masters of the craft to have power, along with an officer of the
town, to poind for the duties foresaid. (8) Any person disobeying the deacon to pay a
fine of 8s. to the provost and bailies. (9) The Deacon and masters to search for unfreemen exercising the craft, and if any such are found who will not answer to the deacon,
masters and altar of the craft, they to have power, along with an officer of the town, to
compel them either to so answer or expel them from working in the town; and (10) The
craft to choose a deacon yearly. Glasgow, 3 February 1546.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Tailors.
Excerpts from the Records of the Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow, 1872.
321 [52d]. TACK by GAVIN, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, and commendator of
the Abbey of Inchhaffray, with the consent of the dean and chapter of the Metropolitan Kirk
of Glasgow, to Henry Crawfurd, parish clerk of Cadder, whereby the Archbishop set to
Crawfurd, for the space of nineteen years from and after Whitsunday, 1546, the customs
of his city and burgh of Glasgow, with mettage and weighage and all other commodities
pertaining thereto, of which customs Crawfurd then was, and had for many years previously been, in possession: Paying therefor yearly the sum of £24 Scots at Whitsunday
and Martinmas as under, viz., £20 Scots to the regents of the University and pedagogue
of the city, and £4 to the chaplains of the altars "Nominis Jesu" and of "our Lady of
Pietie," founded by Robert, archbishop of Glasgow, for their service done to the archbishop, and attendance upon him in the Metropolitan Kirk. Glasgow, 16 April 1547.
Original in the Archives of the City.
322 [53a]. MANDATE by Pope Julius III. directed to the people of the city and
diocese of Glasgow enjoining them to render due honour and obedience to their archbishop (James Betoun). Rome, 4 September 1551.
Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis, p. 572, No. 518.
323 [53b]. SEAL of CAUSE by Andrew Hamilton of Ceuchtnock, provost, Mr. John
Muire, and Mr. John Hall, bailies of the burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby on the supplication of the headsmen and masters of the Masons, . . . . Coopers, Slaters, Sawyers,
and Quarriers dwelling within the burgh, they ratified and approved articles corresponding
to those contained in the Seal of Cause granted to the Hammermen in 1536 [No. 316] with
the following additions:—(2 and 3) Each freeman of the craft to pay for his upset 20s. and
for each apprentice 10s to the altar of St. Thomas. (7) A craftsman to have only one
apprentice at a time, and not to licence him before expiry of his term, and there to be no
interchange or couping of apprentices. (9) Each master to pay a penny weekly to the
altar. (12) The deacon and kirkmasters to have power to poind at their own hand and
by their own officers for the duties and fines thereby imposed. (13) That any person disobeying his deacon in the execution of his office to pay a pound of wax to the altar, and
thereafter be punished by the provost and bailies with all rigour, pay a new upset,
recounsel his oath and faith, and do the penance enjoined; and (14) Apprentices to serve
for seven years. Glasgow, 14 October 1551.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Masons.
Sketch of the Incorporation of Masons, &c., by James Cruikshank, Glasgow, 1879, p. 3.
324 [54a]. A RENTAL by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, to Archibald
Lyon, whereby the archbishop received Lyon as rentaller in his waulk mill in Newtoun
upon the Water of Kelvin, with power to change the waulk mill into a wheat mill, Lyon
being bound to grind all the wheat which the bishop consumed in his house, and to pay
four merks yearly. Glasgow, 10 August 1554.
Original in the Archives of the City.
Inventure of Wrytes and Evidents of and concerning the Burgh of Glasgow (1696), p. 38,
B. C., b. 12. No. 1.
325 [57a]. ACT by the Town Council in favour of the Baxters, whereby they were
authorised to have three market days weekly, for bringing their bread to the Cross; and
regulations were made for the sale of bread by strangers. Glasgow, 6 October 1556.
Extract, under the hand of W. Hegait, in the possession of the Incorporation of Bakers.
"The Incorporation of Bakers of Glasgow," by James Ness.
326 [58a]. CHARTER by QUEEN MARY confirming the privileges and liberties
conferred on the Craftsmen of the burghs and cities of the kingdom by former kings;
granting dispensation in regard to an act of Parliament of the previous year which was
opposed to those privileges and liberties; and restoring power to elect deacons, to make
statutes relating to their own crafts, and to exercise merchandise of all sorts. Stirling,
16 April 1556.
MS. Register of the Great Seal, book 33, No. 192.
Great Seal Register, 1564–80, p. 235, No. 1054.
Records of the Convention of Royal Burghs, vol. ii., p. 469.
327 [61a]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the burgh
of Glasgow, whereby, on the supplication of the craftsmen of the Cordiners and Barkers, and
with the consent of James, archbishop of Glasgow, they ratified and approved the following articles:—(1) The craftsmen to have power annually to choose a deacon and kirkmasters. (2) Every man of the craft before setting up booth in the town to be made a
freeman, and pay to the altar of St. Ninian in the Metropolitan Church, £3 6s. 8d. for
his upset. (3) Freemen's sons in upsetting of their booths of new to pay 6s. 8d. (4)
Every apprentice at his entry to pay 20s. (5) Every master to pay weekly one penny, and
every servant (apprentices excepted) one halfpenny, and each time any man of the craft,
free or unfree, presented work or barked leather in the market, he to pay one penny. (6)
Those absent from the four quarter accounts, being duly warned, to pay 4s. (7) No freeman to take an apprentice for a shorter time than seven years nor more than one during
that period. (8) No man, freeman or other, by himself or servants, to move another
man's stand in the market after it was laid or set according to custom. (9) No man,
freeman or other, to present any work to the market before 9 o'clock of the day; nor an
unfreeman to stand between a freeman and the Cross under penalty of a pound of wax; nor
freeman to receive upon his stand an unfreeman's work. (10) The deacon and kirkmasters to examine both made work and barked leather, and to report to the
oversmen of the town such as was found insufficient which was to be forfeited. (11)
No master to take another man's servant or apprentice without leave of the master with
whom he had last served. (12) Any craftsman disobeying the deacon or officer, to pay
a new upset and 20s. to the bailies for every offence. (13) The deacon to have power
to poind for the above duties, and, failing payment, to close the defaulter's booth and
window; and (14) The deacon, with the advice of the best and worthiest craftsmen, to
have power to make statutes for the craft. Glasgow, 27 February 1558-59.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Cordiners.
History of the Incorporation, of Cordiners in Glasgow by W. Campbell, 1883, p. 248.
328 [61b]. CHARTER granted by Andrew Leche, prior, and John Law, superior of
the Friars Preachers and convent of the same, in Glasgow, whereby, on a narrative of the
dispersion of the order, and the aid rendered to the friars in their extreme necessity by
John Graham, son of James Graham, burgess of Glasgow, without which aid they could not
have sustained life, they granted in feu to the said John Graham and Isobel Livingstoun,
his wife, the great tenement occupied by the said John, with the gardens belonging thereto
(the cemetery thereof excepted), to be held by them and their heirs of the said friars in
conjunct infeftment, for payment annually of four merks, subject to the provision that if
the friars were reponed and their order restored, they should be reponed in the gardens,
but that the tenement should be retained by the said John for payment of three merks
annually. 13 November 1560.
Great Seal Register, 1546–1580, p. 449, No. 1790.
329 [61b] CHARTER by MARY QUEEN of SCOTS, under the great seal, to
James Campbell, brother's son to Colin Campbell, of Ardkinglass, of the assyse herring of
the west seas from the Pentland Firth to the Mull of Galloway, and where the sea flows
within the River Clyde, for payment of six lasts and two barrels of sufficient herring at
the burgh of Glasgow, between Martinmas and Candlemas yearly. 28 February 1561.
Original in the Archives of the Duke of Argyll.
Historical Manuscripts Commission. Fourth Report. Appendix, p. 481.
330 [62a] ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, ordaining all annuals, mails, and duties
within free burghs or other towns of the realm, as well belonging to chaplainries and
prebendaries as to friars, together with the rents of the friars' lands, wherever they
were, to be intromitted with by such as the Queen should depute thereto, for
employing thereof by her Majesty to hospitals, schools, and other such godly uses
as might seem best to the Queen with advice of her Council. And knowing that nothing
is more commodious for the said hospitality than the places of friars, as then standing
undemolished, as also to the entertaining of schools, colleges, and other uses foresaid,
the council further ordained the provost and bailies of Glasgow, and other burghs
of the realm, where the same were not demolished, to entertain and uphold, upon the
common good, the friars' places standing in these towns, and to use the same for the
commonweal and service thereof, until her Majesty took final order in such things,
notwithstanding any other gift, title, or interest given by the Crown previously to any
persons of the said places, with their yards, orchards, and pertinents. Edinburgh, 15
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 201.
331 [63a] ACT by the BAILIES of GLASGOW, ordaining certain burgesses of the
town to pay to the principal regent of the Pedagogy of Glasgow 28 bolls of malt
for the yearly rent of 13 acres and 3 roods of land belonging in time past to the Friars
Preachers of Glasgow, and conveyed to the College or Pedagogy by the grant of Queen
Mary [No. 68]. Glasgow, 31 August 1563.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 69, No. 41.
332 [63b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL setting forth, inter alia, the understanding
of the Queen that the Duke of Chestellarault had then in tack the bailliary and
justiciary of Glasgow, which of old was a kindly possession of the Earl of Lennox's house,
and Her Majesty's desire that no root of future displeasure or grudge between the duke
and the earl might exist, therefore she ordained the duke to renounce, resign, and give
over, for himself and his heirs, the same and all other right, title of right, entry or
possession which he had or might pretend thereto, and to demit the same freely and
simpliciter to the effect that the archbishop of Glasgow might dispone thereupon,
notwithstanding any title made to the duke or any of his sons. And both parties, as
good and obedient subjects, promised in presence of the privy council to obey and faithfully accomplish the Queen's command. Edinburgh, 28 October 1564.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 290.
333 [63c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL anent the complaint of James Law, one
of the bailies of Glasgow, against William Hegait, common clerk thereof, "for the
"speaking of diverse despitfull and injurious wordis to the said James, manifestly
"contempnand and vilipendand him being bailie and magistrate." Both the parties
having appeared before the privy council, and the common clerk having denied the bailie's
allegation, the bailie was allowed a proof on the 10th of January following. But the
matter appears to have proceeded no further. Edinburgh, 13 December 1564.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 302.
334 [63d]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL referring to the rebellion of James, Earl of
Moray, and other rebels, who had withdrawn themselves into the parts and countries of
Argyle and the Highlands adjacent thereto, intending there to make their resort and
residence; and ordaining the provosts and bailies of Glasgow, Dumbarton, and Irvine,
and others, that none of them, take upon hand to furnish or supply the rebels, or
countries wherein they resort, with any kind of victuals; nor to suffer any kind of victuals
or armour to be had and carried toward the same, under pain of being reputed and holden
partakers with the rebels in their rebellion. Edinburgh, 14 August 1565.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 353.
335 [63e]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, appointing the inhabitants of the
sheriffdoms of Dumbarton and Renfrew to meet the King and Queen at Glasgow, upon
Tuesday, 29 August 1565, and to attend upon them for fifteen days, for repressing
disorders in the country. Edinburgh, 22 August 1565.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. i., p. 355.
336 [63f]. BAND by the LORDS and BARONS of the WEST COUNTRY,
subscribed in presence of the King and Queen at Glasgow, on 5 September 1565.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. i., p. 363.
337 [63g]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL setting apart inter alia the fruits of the
Bishopric of Glasgow for the furnishing and sustentation of the Queen's house, &c.
Edinburgh, 22 December 1565.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 412.
338 [63h]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL on the complaint of the provost, bailies,
council, and community of Glasgow, charging Mr. Alexander Lawder, parson of Glasgow,
to furnish bread and wine for the communion conform to use and wont. Edinburgh,
5 October [November?] 1566.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 492.
339 [63i]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL finding Mr. James Hamilton, reader in the
kirk of Glasgow, entitled out of the commons of the New Kirk of Glasgow to receive £40
Scots a year from and after 1561 when he was appointed to the readership. Edinburgh,
1 March 1566-7.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 498.
340 [64a]. DEED of FOUNDATION by SIR MARK JAMESOUN, vicar of
Kilspindie, as executor of John Painter, master of the singing school of the metropolitan
church of Glasgow, providing for the yearly payment of five pounds from the houses and
orchard in the Stabill Grene situated in the triangle extending from the public road at
the head of the city to the "tway crocis" [described in No. 317], to be applied as follows,
viz., three pounds to the fore almshouse, called St. Nicholas Hospital, twenty shillings to
the poor men of the back almshouse of that hospital, and twenty shillings to the leper
hospital at the south end of Glasgow Bridge. To the deed is appended a ratification,
dated 4th September 1581, by Mr. Robert Rollok, then owner of the property; and
there is also an indorsation, bearing that the deed was recorded in the books of the
Presbytery of Glasgow, on 31 March 1590, "to remane ad perpetuam rei memoriam, and
to be patent to the puir." In the indorsation the division of revenue is thus expressed:—
"£3 yeirlie to the foir almoushous callit St. Nicolas Hospitall; 20s. to the foure puir
men of the bak almoushous pertening to the town of Glasgow; and 20s. to the puir lipper
folkis of the hospitall at the southe end of the brig of Glasgw." Glasgow, 26 March 1567.
Original in the Archives of the Corporation. Delivered by Sir Mark Jamesoun to the Magistrates and Council, 18 July 1590. See Council Records, vol. i., p. 155.
By a charter dated 9th September, 1556, Thomas Fleming, vicar pensioner, with consent of
James, archbishop of Glasgow, and of Sir Mark Jamesone, vicar of the choir, liferenter of
the property mentioned in No. 340, granted that property in feu farm to David Rollok of
Kyncladie, and Marion Levingstone, his spouse, and to Robert Rollok, their son, and his
heirs; for payment of (1) £5 to be distributed according to Sir Mark Jameson's foundation;
(2) 42s. 10d. to the vicars of the choir, for prayers for the soul of John Painter; (3) 8s. to
first rector; (4) 5s. to the regents or masters of the pedagogy; and (5) 4s. 2d. to the poor
of the hospital of St. Nicholas; extending in whole to £8. Notarial Copy, subscribed by
David Rollok, and his seal appended, in the Archives of the City.
341 [64b]. CHARTER by QUEEN MARY, under the Great Seal, confirming the
charter by Andrew Leche, dated 27 April, 1567 [No. 328].
Great Seal Register, 1546-80, p. 449, No. 1790.
342 [64c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL reciting the setting apart by the Crown
of a portion of the thirds of benefices for the support of the ministry, and the disposition
to the burghs of the kirk-livings within the same, for the relief of the taxation and
contribution to be uplifted in every burgh, and ordaining the provost and bailies of
Glasgow to pay to the minister resident within the same £80 Scots of their own proper
goods yearly, in time to come, beginning the first term's payment at Whitsunday, 1567.
And for their relief they were empowered to tax all the inhabitants of the city according to
their ability, and to poind and appraise their readiest goods and gear in case of nonpayment; and the rest of the minister's stipend, the readers, and other affairs of the
kirk, were appointed to be paid out of the readiest of the annuals of the burgh,
disponed by her Majesty to that use. Edinburgh, 7 May 1567.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 508.
29 July 1567–27 March 1625.
343 [64d]. ACT of the PARLIAMENT of KING JAMES VI., ordaining that all
patrons having provostries or prebendaries of colleges, altarages, or chaplainries at their gift,
may, in all time coming, present the same to a bursar whom they please to name, to
study virtue and letters within a college of any of the Universities of the realm, there to
remain for such space as the patron pleases, and as may be agreed upon by the patron
with the principal and ministers of the college of the University; and after the patron
removes that bursar furth of the college, to present another; and so forth from one to
another, to the effect foresaid, at the patron's pleasure, notwithstanding any foundation
or confirmation passed by any authority in any time bygone. (1567, c. 13). Edinburgh,
20 December 1567.
Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland, vol. iii., p. 25.
Ratified by the Acts 1592, c. 89, Acts of Parliaments of Scotland, vol. iii., p. 586; 1641, c. 108,
Acts of Parliament of Scotland, vol. v. p. 415; 1661, c. 331, Acts of Parliaments of
Scotland, vol. vii., p. 303.
344 [65b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, reciting the escape of Queen Mary from
the place of Lochleven, and her repair to the place of Hamilton, where she then remained,
and where the King's lieges and subjects repaired towards her, for what purpose was
uncertain, and ordaining all earls, lords, barons, freeholders, gentlemen, substantious
yeomen, men, and others, his Majesty's lieges whomsoever, as well to burgh as to land,
regality as royalty, to come "weill bodin in feir of weir" to the Lord Regent at Glasgow,
for preservation of the King's person and authority, and establishing of justice and
quietness within the realm. Glasgow, 3 May 1568.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. i., p. 622.
345 [66a]. SEAL of CAUSE by Sir John Stewart of Minto, knight, provost; Mr. Adam
Wallace and Richard Ros, bailies and senators, and council of the burgh, whereby, on the
supplication of the deacon, headsmen, and masters of the Coopers dwelling within the
burgh and city of Glasgow, they ratified and approved articles, numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8,10
and 11, of which correspond to the articles (excepting No. 8 which has no equivalent) of
the Seal of Cause granted to the Hammermen in 1536 [No. 316]; and numbers 9, 12, 13
and 14 of which correspond to articles 9, 12, 13 and 14 of the Seal of Cause granted to
the Masons in 1551 [No. 323]. The payments imposed by these articles are to be applied
to the common charges of the craft and the relief of its decayed brethren, and not to
the upkeep of the altar as is the case in the earlier documents. An increased upset of
six pounds on the entry of each unfreeman's son, and four pounds on the entry of each
freeman's son, had to come in place of the dinner and banquet which was formerly in use
to be made. Glasgow, 27 April 1569.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Coopers.
Acts and Charters of the Incorporation of Coopers of Glasgow, 1885, p. 5.
346 [66b]. SEAL of CAUSE by the provost, bailies, council and community of the
burgh and city of Glasgow, whereby on the supplication of the Cordiners and Barkers of
the city, they ratified and approved articles embracing all the provisions contained in their
former Seal of Cause of 1558 [No. 327], but amended to the effect that the payments for
entry money of freemen and apprentices (which are increased) and fines should be applied to
the common charges of the craft and the relief of decayed brethren, instead of to the altar;
and with the following additions:—Each "owtyntounes child," before admission to serve
under a master, to pay 20s. to the box. Every freeman who employed a servant who had
left his master and served in another craft, to pay a new upset to the box; and the
last entered freeman of the craft to be its officer until another entered. Glasgow,
27 June 1569.
Original in the Archives of the Incorporation of Cordiners.
History of the Incorporation of Cordiners, by W. Campbell, p. 251.
347 [66c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, inter alia, appointing the provosts, bailies,
councillors, and communities of the burghs and towns of Glasgow, Ayr, and Irvine to
convene at Dumbarton on August, 1569, and there stent and contribute for furnishing
a ship or pynnage with forty men, hagbutters, and convenient munition and provision to lie
in the firth of Clyde, opposite the Castle of Dumbarton, which was being beseiged by land,
that all provision by sea might be obstructed therefrom; and that the ship accoutered as
effeirs should remain for three months after 8 August under pain of rebellion. Perth, 1
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 12.
348 [66d]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL prohibiting Glasgow, Renfrew, Dumbarton,
Irvine, Ayr, and other places, from passing with their boats to the fishing or otherwise
down the water of Clyde, or from coming up the same in any sort or for any purpose, or
from resorting towards the Castle of Dumbarton with their boats. Stirling, 29 August 1569.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 21.
349 [66e]. DECREET before the bailie of the regality at the instance of Archibald
Lyon, rentaller of the mill in Newtoun on Kelvin, against the Baxters of Glasgow,
finding them in the wrong for the stopping of the free passage of the water from Lyon's
mill by the building up of the dam to their mill. Glasgow, 16 November 1569.
Original in the Archives of the City.
Inventure of Wrytes and Evidents of and concerning the Burgh of Glasgow, p. 39, B.C., b. 12, No. 2.
350 [66f]. ACTS of the PRIVY COUNCIL requiring, inter alia, the provost and
bailies of Glasgow, Ayr, and Irvine, to pay to Alexander, Earl of Glencairn, two
taxations of nine shillings and three shillings respectively of every pound land of old
extent for sustaining of hagbutters to assist in the siege of the Castle of Dumbarton.
Stirling, 31 August, and Edinburgh, 23 November 1569.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., pp. 22, 65, 66.
351 [68a]. INSTRUMENT of SASINE in favour of John Nicol, burgess of Glasgow,
and Marion Muirhead, his spouse, on the resignation of Bartholomew Symsone, preceptor
and chaplain of St. Nicholas Hospital, in two ruinous tenements lying contiguous, with
yard at the back, bounded on the south by the Drigait, on the north by the Malyndinor
Burn, and on the west by lands belonging to the new hospital outwith the North Port,
founded by Rolland Blacader, conform to a feu charter granted by Symsone, for payment
to the preceptor and his successors of £3 Scots yearly. Glasgow, 25 October 1570.
Original Instrument, by Thomas Knox, notary, in the Archives of the City.
352 [69a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL ordaining Mr. Archibald Douglas, one of
the Senators of the College of Justice, intromitter with the fruits of the parsonage of
Glasgow, to pay to Mr. David Wemys, minister at Glasgow, so long as he remained minister,
or to his successors in that charge, a yearly stipend of £200 Scots, beginning the first
term's payment at Whitsunday 1572, and that in payment and satisfaction of the thirds
of the said parsonage. Leith, 23 January 1571-2.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 114.
353 [69b]. ACTS of the PRIVY COUNCIL  dated 6 June 1572, appointing a
muster at Glasgow on 26 June for resisting the traitors about the city and in the
country of the Lennox,  dated 20 June 1572, giving commission to James, Earl of
Morton, as the King's lieutenant, to pursue and punish the traitors, and  dated 27
June 1572, ordaining proclamation to be made to the King's lieges convened to the
present army that they keep good and honest society each with the other for the
furtherance of the King's service; that those convened, as well men of war as others, do not
foray or take the goods of others, though they be rebels; also commanding the inhabitants
of the city of Glasgow to follow the army "with breid, aill, and all uther kynde of
viveris for men and horse," which shall be bought and paid for with ready money.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., pp. 140, 146, 150.
354 [71a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that Mr. James Boyd,
nominated, elected, and consecrated archbishop of Glasgow, had compeared before the
Regent and privy council, and made oath of allegiance, &c., to the effect therein set forth;
and acknowledgment that he held the archbishopric and possessions of the same, under
God only, of his Majesty and the Crown Royal of the realm; and did homage to the
Regent in his Majesty's name, and to the King's heirs and lawful successors. Holyrood,
9 November 1573.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., p. 301.
355 [71b]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that in May 1568 the
keeping of the castle of Glasgow was committed by the Regent Murray to Sir John
Stewart of Mynto, and had assigned to him as keeper five chalders of malt, five chalders
of meal, two chalders of horse corn, and 200 merks money of the first and readiest fruits
of the bishopric of Glasgow, the third thereof being always first paid to the ministers and
otherwise as was appointed, beginning the payment of the victuals and money of the
readiest rests of the bishopric then owing of the time bygone, or of the Whitsunday term
then likewise bypast, and so yearly thereafter at the terms used and wont, till Stewart
was lawfully discharged of the keeping of the castle; upon which commitment letters of
poinding were, on 9 June 1568, directed for the more sure payment of the money and
victuals, so that the castle might not be in danger and unprovided, though Beaton, sometime archbishop, was not at the time denounced rebel. The act further sets forth that the
see being lawfully provided of an archbishop, Stewart had been charged to deliver over
the castle to him, which he was ready to do on being discharged of his keepership by the
privy council. The Regent, with advice of the council, accordingly declared that Stewart
had honourably discharged his duty, and on his delivering over the castle to the archbishop, was declared to be discharged of the castle and of the victual and money uptaken
by him and his servants, as well before as after archbishop Beaton's denunciation as a
rebel. Holyrood, 9 November 1573.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., pp. 301, 302.
356 [71c]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL finding that Mr. David Wemys, minister
of Glasgow, is not entitled to demand ten chalders of victual furth of the third of the
parsonage of Glasgow, but only to a stipend of £200 Scots. Edinburgh, 23 December 1573.
Printed Register of Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 320.
357 [71d]. CHARTER by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, whereby, with
the consent of the dean and canons of Glasgow, he granted to Robert, Lord Boyd, inter
alia, the hereditary office of bailie and justiciar of the barony and regality of Glasgow, as
well within as without the burgh or city of Glasgow, and the amerciaments and escheats
of courts, to be applied to his own use: Rendering to the said archbishop the service due
in respect of that office. 2 January 1573-4.
Registrum Magni Sigilli, lib. xxxiv., No. 246.
Printed Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, 1546-1580, p. 647, No. 2407.
358 [71e]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL, setting forth that, inter alia, James
Beaton, sometime archbishop of Glasgow, and divers other born subjects of the realm—
some of whom were declared traitors and others seditious—had fled beyond sea, and
remained there stirring up, by their actions, letters, and books, seditious rebellion against
the King and the government. Therefore the Regent, with advice of the privy council,
ordained letters to be issued prohibiting the lieges from supplying these persons with
money, finance, counsel, or other aid whatever, or sending or carrying letters or messages
to or from them, or transporting them or their known servants and dependants to
Scotland, under pain of deid and confiscation of the ships and goods of the contravenors.
Haddington, 12 February 1573-4.
Privy Council Register, vol. ii., p. 334.
359 [71f]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL in which it is declared that the castle and
steeple of Glasgow which had been in the keeping of Sir John Stewart of Mynto, knight,
was "ane of the principall keyis of the cuntre." Holyrood, 20 March 1573–4.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 347.
360 [71g]. LETTER by JAMES, ARCHBISHOP of GLASGOW, whereby, "tending
to the Kingis Majesteis educatioun in virtew and lettres, and allowing the lang and
faithfull service of Maister Petir Young, his Hienes pedagoge, done in the samin; quha
notwithstanding thairof remanis unprovidit of convenient intertenement,—thairfoir," he,
with consent of the dean, canons, and chapter of the cathedral, gave to Young a
yearly pension of £200 Scots during his life, at least till he was provided by the King or
the Regent "of the lyk or bettir pensioun or provisioun" in some other place, the said
pension to be yearly uplifted from the revenues of the archbishopric. And for the more
sure payment thereof he assigned the "silver males" of the kirk and lands therein
specified, including Archibald Lyons mill 53s. 4d., and the Walkmylne 40s. Scots.
Edinburgh, 22 March 1573–4.
Great Seal Register, 1546-1580, p. 650, No. 2416.
This letter was confirmed by King James VI. on 8 May 1575. Ibid.
361 [71h]. CHARTER by KING JAMES VI., confirming to Robert Lord Boyd of
Kilmarnock the charter dated 2 January 1573–4 [No. 357]. Holyrood, 28 March 1575.
Great Seal Register, 1546–1580, p. 647.
362 [71i] The RENTAL of the OLD ENDOWMENTS of the COLLEGE of
GLASGOW, containing inter alia "in the first of the troyne of Glasgow yeirlye," £20.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 91, No. 52.
363 [71j]. DECREE of the LORDS of COUNCIL in favour of the College against
the tenants and occupiers of the lands, rents, &c., granted to the College by the ratification, No. 71, among whom are included the council and community of the burgh of
Glasgow. Edinburgh, 3 June 1575.
Munimenta Alme Universitatis Glasguensis, vol. i., p. 94, No. 53.
364 [72a]. ACT of the PRIVY COUNCIL on complaint by Barthilmo Symsoun, master
almoner to twelve poor aged decrepit persons dwelling in the alms house called the Hospital
of St. Nicholas, situated within the diocese of Glasgow, decerning Robert Douglas of
Lintclowden to make payment to Symsoun of £20 Scots, furth of the common kirk of
Glencarne disponed by Queen Mary to Douglas, payable for each of the years 1567 to 1574
both inclusive. Holyrood House, 10 February 1575–6.
Printed Register of the Privy Council, vol. ii., p. 489.