Cardiff Council Minutes, 1880–1897.
DURING the seventeen years covered
by the following extracts from the
Minutes of Council, the giant
strides of Cardiff's material growth
and progress proceeded even more
markedly than before. New Docks
were added to the already large
shipping accommodation of the
port, and increased railway facilities enabled coal to be poured into them at a more rapid rate than
ever. The realm of bricks and mortar went on enlarging its borders
and encroaching steadily upon the rural beauty of the adjoining
parishes. Picturesque old farmhouses made way to the demands of
the ever-growing population, meadows were effeced by streets, and
suburban villas gave up their front gardens for the projection of shops.
The speed of Cardiff's advance was almost bewildering. The
merchant, returning from a couple of months' holiday abroad, had
often a difficulty in recognising his own road, for the alterations that
had been effected during his absence.
Then it was, however, that Cardiff turned her thoughts to the
past, and remembered her ancient and honourable history. In 1880
Mr. George E. Robinson examined the Charters, and a Committee
was ordered to be formed to obtain possession of missing
muniments. It was not untill 1886 that the Charters Committee
actually got to work, and received a report by Mr. Robinson and
Mr. Robert Drane. It was resolved to have translations made of the
Charters, and zincograph facsimiles of the originals, but this was not
done. In 1888 Mr. Robinson urged the Corporation to carry their
Resolution into effect, but his efforts were not successful at that time.
In 1890 the Charters were repaired and restored at the expense of the
late Mr. G. T. Clark of Tal-y-garn, who announced his intention of
printing them in the following year. At the same time four of the
original Royal Charters were presented to the Corporation by Lord
Bute. At this point things remained until the end of 1893, when the
statements of the "South Wales Daily News" led to the formation of
the present Records Committee and to the work of their Archivist, as
narrated in the Introduction to these volumes.
The Marquess of Bute's acceptance, in 1890, of the office of
Mayor of Cardiff, was the initiation of a custom since widely followed
in other boroughs, whereby the post of chief magistrate has been
taken up by the principal local landowner, often a peer of the realm.
TY-Y-CWN, ROATH(demolished 1898.)