Cardiff Council Minutes, 1887-1888.
1887 November 9 Wednesday.
Alderman T. W. Jacobs elected Mayor. Salary £300.
Sir Morgan Morgan, Deputy-Mayor.
Councillor Andrew Fulton elected Alderman, in the place of
Daniel Jones deceased.
Committee appointed to ascertain upon what terms the necessary
properties can be obtained for opening up the thoroughfare from
Charles Street to David Street.
Parliamentary Committee. Resolved, That the Town Clerk be
instructed to take such measures as he may deem requisite for the
purpose of including in the County of Glamorgan the Parishes of
Rumney and St. Mellon's, which are in the District of the Cardiff
Union and in the County of Monmouth; also to cause to be included
in the County of Glamorgan certain lands which are situated on this
side of the River Rumney but are in the County of Monmouth, and
certain other lands to be included in the County of Monmouth which
are situate on the other side of the River Rumney but are within the
County of Glamorgan and in the Borough of Cardiff.
1887 December 12.
Alderman Duncan writes protesting against the alteration of
the hour of the Council Meeting from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. He believes
it is asserted that the change was desirable in order to allow working
men an opportunity of attending; but he very much questions the
desire of any large section of the ratepayers to enjoy such a
Cardiff Ratepayers' Association write urging the Corporation to
continue Charles Street through to David Street.
Councillor E. Beavan called attention to the hoarding or billposting station on the Newport Road, near the Clifton Street Chapel,
and urged the desirability of the Corporation acquiring the site, with
a view to opening up new thoroughfares to Broadway and Piercefield
Place. (Referred to the Borough Engineer to report.)
Committee recommend the Council to offer £3,230 for the
premises dividing Charles Street from David Street.
Application was made on behalf of Lord Bute, for a police
constable to patrol the Castle grounds. The same was allowed.
1888 January 9.
Town Clerk read certain letters from the Society for the
Abolition of Turnpike Tolls on the South Wales Roads, calling upon
the Corporation to assist them in this object.
Vote of regret on the death of Alderman Duncan.
1888 February 1.
Councillor David Edgar Jones, M.D., is elected Alderman.
Letter was read from Mr. B. S. Marks with regard to the
condition of the portraits of two Welsh Judges in the Museum and
Art Gallery, and asking for permission to restore one of them.
Resolved, That this offer be accepted, and that Sir Morgan
Morgan having generously offered to pay the cost of restoring the
other picture, both gentlemen be thanked for their kindness.
Borough Engineer is to have the site of the Cardiff Savings Bank
cellared and levelled and thrown into the street.
Notices are to be issued to vendors of fish &c. in the Hayes, that
rent will in future be demanded from them.
Accommodation for the Press is to be provided in the Council
The Ystradyfodwg Local Board having intimated their intention
to bring their sewage to the sea at Cardiff, the Town Clerk is
instructed to oppose that course.
Committee decline to light Spital Square as requested by Mr.
John Lewis, it being private property.
Council memorialize the Lord Chancellor to allot two out of three
Assize Courts for South Wales to Cardiff.
A fish pass will be constructed at Ely Weir by the Taff and Ely
1888 February 20.
The resolution of 9th November last, altering the hour of meeting
from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., was rescinded.
1888 March 12.
Mr. Charles James Jackson, B.L., resigns his seat in the Council,
and receives a vote of thanks for the services rendered by him to the
Borough during a period of 5½ years.
Address to their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of
Wales, on the occasion of their Silver Wedding.
Petition to Her Majesty the Queen in favour of Cardiff being
decided upon as one of the centres for the training of hospital nurses,
under Her Majesty's Jubilee scheme.
Council approve the Commissioners' scheme for the Craddock
Wells' Charity, whereby the Governors are to pay £350 per annum to
the general purposes of the University College of South Wales, and
£450 a year to the maintenance of scholars who shall have attended
the public elementary schools of the Borough for at least two years—
provided this aggregate sum of £800 a year do not exceed half the
income of the Charity.
Petition to Her Majesty the Queen in Privy Council, praying for
a separate Court of Quarter Sessions for the Borough of Cardiff.
At this time are recorded a great number of complaints against
the traction-engine of the Corporation, as a nuisance to the public.
Resolved That, inasmuch as a loss of revenue is occasioned to the
markets by the itinerant vendors, and serious obstruction created
in the streets, the Council be recommended to take the necessary
proceedings to collect the street hawking tolls.
It having been reported that the time-ball had only acted once
since the recent repairs, and that the same did not work satisfactorily
and had been a source of great trouble and expense since its erection:
Resolved That the makers be desired to forthwith put same in order,
and make the time-ball work satisfactorily; otherwise this Committee
recommend the Council to have the same removed.
The Mayor having reported that Mr. Storrie, the Curator of the
Musuem, had waited upon him with reference to the old Town Hall
clock, which was lying on the basement floor of the Hall, it was
Resolved That the Council be recommended to present the clock to
1888 April 9.
School Board Precept for £9,800.
Resolved That the attention of the School Board authorities be
called to the heavy and rapidly increasing amount of the Precept each
half year, and the Council beg that they will do their utmost to keep
their expenses down to the lowest possible point.
Petition to the President of the Local Government Board, praying
that Cardiff may be constituted a County under the Local Government
Two drinking-fountains and troughs are to be erected, opposite
the new Infirmary and at the junction of Westgate Street and
Cowbridge Road. The cost, £200, will be defrayed by the ex-Mayor,
Councillor Alfred Thomas, out of the addition voted to his salary
during his mayoralty.
Resolved That the attention of the Head Constable be called to
the continued obstruction created in Church Street, Trinity Street
and Victoria Place, and especially to the obstruction in the Hayes on
market-days, by itinerant vendors.
1888 May 14.
The Corporation became Patrons of the National Eisteddfod of
Wales, for the meeting at Brecon next year.
Borough Engineer reported that the footpath from Roath Church
to Pen-y-lan had been fenced off on either side, whereby two other
footpaths to Llanedern Road had been stopped up.
Resolved That the Borough Engineer take steps to cause the
obstruction to be removed.
1888 June 1.
Councillor Kennard resigns. Council rescinded the Resolution
of 14 December 1885, which enabled representatives of the Press to
be present at Committee Meetings.
1888 June 11.
Cardiff has now been constituted a County in itself.
Council accede to the request of Mr. W. H. St. John Hope,
Secretary of the Royal Society of Antiquaries, for the loan of one of
the large and one of the small maces belonging to the Corporation, for
the purposes of an Exhibition of Civic Insignia.
Vote of regret on the death of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor
Town Clerk reported that a difficulty had arisen with regard to
the conveyance from Lord Bute to the Corporation of land for the
North Street improvements. It appeared that part of the land
running from the Pound towards North Street Bridge was a part of
the Castle Grounds, under the Will of the late Marquess, in which
case it would seem that the Trustees had no power to sell this strip.
Resolved That the Town Clerk be instructed to carry out the
purchase, notwithstanding the above defect in the title, upon taking
an indemnity from Lord Bute in respect of the purchase money.
Borough Engineer's report as to a suitable site for a Pound was
postponed for further consideration.
Mr. W. Hughes Morris, Hon. Secretary of the Cardiff Footpaths
Preservation Society, writes calling the Public Works Committee's
attention to the fact that Mr. Williams, of Pengam Farm, a tenant of
Lord Tredegar, has enclosed a good deal of the land at Pen-y-lan,
thereby stopping certain footpaths. The Town Clerk reported that
Mr. Williams had agreed to re-open one of the footpaths, but not the
Resolved That the resolution arrived at by this Committee at its
last meeting be strictly adhered to (vide ante).
Messrs. Davis & Lloyd, Solicitors for Lord Tredegar, write
that they had (without prejudice) arranged with Mr. Thomas Williams,
the tenant of Pengam, that the footpath from the top of the main
footpath from Roath Mill to Pen-y-lan, towards Llwyn-y-grant Isaf,
should be forthwith opened; but that they see no reason for admitting
the alleged right of the public through any other portion of the same
Resolved That consideration thereof be deferred, in order that
the Borough Engineer may enquire as to the user of the footpath in
question by the inhabitants of Llanedern.
An application from the Postmaster, Mr. F. C. Webber, to erect
a pillar letter-box near the Mason's Arms inn, in Queen Street, was
Resolved, That the Borough Engineer be desired to have the
grass on the Flat Holm cut and harvested.
1888 July 9.
Public meeting has protested against the exclusion of the Press
from Committee meetings.
The Council of Judges has decided that the Criminal Assizes for
Glamorganshire in the Autumn shall be held at Cardiff and Swansea
Letter from Mr. Charles Conway with reference to the two
portraits of gentlemen in Judge's robes, recently restored; together
with a description of the pictures, prepared by Mr. John Storrie,
Curator of the Museum:—
Portrait of John, 2nd Marquess of Bute.
It represents the late Marquess in the dress of the last generation, with the addition of a very large cloak of Stuart tartan, lined
with red, and a crutch-handled cane, standing on a sandy shore, with
the Kyles of Bute in the distance. The inscription: "This portrait
was presented to the town of Cardiff by Lieut.-Colonel Crichton
Stuart, M.P., 1859."
Portrait of Judge Hardinge.
This portrait hung in the old Town Hall, and after its demolition
the portrait was stored, along with another, in the gallery of the Nisi
Prius Court. The damp completely destroyed the frame, and also
damaged the picture. About four years ago I happened to see it
lying there and brought it over to the Museum, where I washed it
and hung it up, till it was sent lately to Messrs. Conway to be
restored. This is the portrait which Mr. G. T. Clark, of Tal-y-garn,
mentions in his "Glamorgan Worthies" as having been once a
portrait of Admiral Button, of Cardiff and Worlton, a distinguished
Arctic navigator, and officer in the Navy of James I. and Charles I.
Mr. Clark states that the Corporation, wishing to do honour to
Mr. Justice Hardinge, who was a great favourite here and a noted
Welsh Judge at end of last century, engaged a limner to paint his
portrait on the top of an old portrait in their possession, said to have
been that of Admiral Button; and that the limner added a red cloak
and a wig to the gallant admiral, transformed his baton to a roll of
paper, and made certain other alterations, as he states, "to do honour
to Themis at the expense of Neptune."It is certain that this portrait
is painted over an older one, whether Admiral Button's or not. By
comparing it with the undoubted portrait of the admiral at Coedriglan,
it is easy to see that all resemblance is now lost; and if the Corporation wish to have a portrait of Admiral Button for the Town Hall,
the easiest way will be to have a replica painted from the one in
possession of Mr. G. M. Traherne of Coedriglan. Admiral Button is
certainly the best man that Cardiff has produced, and, as Mr. Clark
says, "it is little to her credit that no memorial of him adorns her
Council Chamber, or greets the mariner that steps ashore at her port."
I ought to say that this portrait has been considerably improved by
being cleaned and relined.
Portrait of Judge —
Painted by T. Hudson, 1746, the celebrated English portraitpainter, and instructor of Sir Joshua Reynolds. It is stated, on what
authority I know not, to be a portrait of Chief Justice Lee, who
sentenced David Morgan of Coed-y-gores, and others, for participation in the rebellion of 1745. I regret that the face in this picture
has lost some of the dignity and grace that it had before restoration.
This picture was stored with the last, and suffered great injury from
Resolved That the two paintings be suitably framed; and that
the best thanks of this Council be conveyed to Sir Morgan Morgan
and Mr. B. S. Marks, for their kindness in paying the cost of restoring
Mr. Storrie further reports:—
In the Assembly Room there is a large blazon of the Royal
Arms, framed. It has the letters G. II., for George the Second. It
was brought from the old Town Hall that stood in the middle of High
Street, where it hung over the Judge's seat. It is believed to have
been painted about 1750. Painter unknown.
A very large picture, by Frank Howard, a son of the Secretary
to the Royal Academy. It represents an episode in the history of
Cardiff, which occurred in the year 1158. Ivor Cadivor, known as
Ivor Bach, or the Little, considering himself unjustly treated by the
Earl of Gloucester, determined to surprise the Castle, and carried out
his plans with complete success. The picture shows him, sword in
hand, dictating to Earl William the terms of peace, which are said to
have been, 1st Re-granting the right of the Welsh to be governed
according to their old Laws and Customs; and 2nd Renouncing
certain territory which Ivor considered himself unjustly deprived of.
The Earl and Countess and child appear struck with terror in the
foreground, while an aged figure on the right, supposed to represent
Robert Curthose, the eldest son of William the Conqueror, who was
imprisoned here, is seen leaning on a harp. Duke Robert, however,
was dead and buried 24 years before the time of Ivor Bach's exploit.
The history of this picture is as follows. About 50 years ago it
was determined to decorate certain corridors in the new Houses of
Parliament with paintings of historical scenes, and this picture was
one of those painted for the competition; but the late Duke of
Wellington, who was the umpire chosen to judge the pictures sent
in, rejected this one. The artist then attempted to sell it elsewhere,
and finally made an offer of it to the Cardiff Corporation, who appear
to have had then no funds; till at last in despair at the expense of
moving such an enormous picture about the country, he made a final
proposal to the Corporation, that if they were willing to pay £50 for
the frame he would present the picture to them. During the time
this offer was being considered the artist died, and the picture is still
Large portrait of Sir Herbert Mackworth, bart., of Gnoll Castle,
M.P. for Cardiff 1754–1790. He is represented with the Muster
Roll of the Glamorgan Militia in his hand, of which he was Colonel.
He was raised to the baronetage in 1759. Painter's name unknown.
I have not been able to ascertain how the Corporation became
possessed of this picture.
1888 August 13.
The freedom of the Borough, and the certificate thereof in a
jewelled casket, was presented to Mr. Alfred Thomas, M.P.
Letter from Count Hatzfeldt, the German Ambassador, acknowledging the Corporation's vote of condolence on the death of the late
Emperor Frederick of Germany.
Resolution of the Free Library and Museum Committee urges
upon the Corporation the necessity for extending the buildings of the
Library, Museum and Art Gallery. (Consideration deferred).
A motion in favour of the re-admission of the Press to Committee
meetings was defeated by a large majority.
Borough Engineer reported as to the proposed acquisition by the
Corporation of land on the Canal Wharf for the purpose of widening
the roadway on the East Wharf.
Resolved that the Town Clerk be desired to write Mr. Jonas
Watson stating that, on reference to an ancient Plan, it appears that
the land in question belongs to the Corporation, although they have
not received any rent from Mr. Watson therefor.
The old ditch on the north side of the road from Roath Church
to Pen-y-lan Road is being filled up and a footpath formed over same,
and the waste land intervening is being thrown into the carriage-way.
(Albany Road improvements).
1888 October 8.
Thomas Windsor Jacobs, Mayor.
Thomas Vaughan Yorath,
Patrick William Carey,
David Edgar Jones.
Edward William Shackell,
William Edmund Vaughan,
William John Trounce,
Daniel Lloyd Lougher,
Sir Morgan Morgan,
John Guy Proger,
John Amice Le Boulanger,
Joseph Reynalt James,
Francis John Beavan,
Samuel Arthur Brain,
William Benjamin Gibbs,
Tom Hurry Riches,
Joseph Henry Jones,
Joseph Larke Wheatley, Town Clerk.
Inspector of Weights and Measures reports that vessels carrying
petroleum, gunpowder or dynamite are discharged in the Old Canal.
Public Works Special Sub-Committee recommend the Corporation to purchase the land claimed by Mr. Jonas Watson, on the East
Wharf, between the towing-path and the road.
Town Clerk reported that he had received notice of a claim for
£6 and damages alleged to have been caused by a tumultuous and
riotous mob assembled outside No. 70 Coburn Street, Cathays, in the
occupation of David Churchill Forsey, bootmaker, from William
White, the trustee of Forsey's estate under a deed of assignment for
the benefit of creditors. (Referred to the Head Constable to report).
Resolved that the Head Constable's attention be directed to the
depredations committed by juvenile thieves, especially in the neighbourhood of Newport Road, Roath.
1888 November 2.
In accordance with a request from the Lord Mayor of London,
the Mayor will order a banner with the arms of Cardiff, to be
included in the series of municipal flags for the British Court of the
Cardiff Council Minutes, 1888-1889.
1888 November 9 Friday.
Councillor David Jones elected Mayor; salary £300.
Alderman Daniel Lewis Deputy Mayor.
Vote of thanks to Councillor Sir Morgan Morgan, for his gift of a
portrait of himself, painted by Mr. B. S. Marks.
25 guineas added to the Mayor's salary, for the purpose of
awarding prizes at the Cardiff Fat Cattle Show.
Owners and residents at Salt Mead call attention to the state of
Arran Street and other thoroughfares on the Mackintosh Estate
are being completed.
The Coedriglan Estate and other land in Castle Road is to be
purchased of Mr. Traherne and Mr. J. G. R. Homfray, for the
widening of the said road.
Council memorialize the County Justices to locate the Court of
Quarter Sessions for the County at Cardiff.
1888 December 10.
The following honorary members were added to the Free Library
and Museum Committee:—Messrs. Dr. Vachell, Rev. W. Winks,
Peter Davies, Dr. Wallace, W. H. Thomas, Ronnfeldt, J. L. Wheatley,
Rev. J. Williamson, Marcus Gunn, T. H. Thomas, R. W. Atkinson,
Rev. John Hayde.
Branch Library and Reading Room to be established in Roath
Resolved That it be an instruction to the Borough Engineer to
have number-plates affixed facing each chair in the Council Chamber,
corresponding with the progressive number of each Member of the
Council on the official list published by the Town Clerk, and keys to
Resolved That the General Manager of the G.W.R. Co. be again
urged to comply with the wishes of the inhabitants of Cardiff, as laid
before his Directors by the Mayor and Corporation from time to time,
by having the central station at Cardiff made an open one, and
permitting public access from Penarth Road and Wood Street, and by
the erection of a station at Roath.
Resolved That the Parliamentary Committee prepare and submit
to Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen a petition praying that Her
Majesty's Letters Patent, or a Royal Charter, may be granted to the
Borough of Cardiff, as the metropolis of the Principality of Wales,
the dignity and title of a city.
Letter from the Standards Department of the Board of Trade
with reference to the drinking-vessel known locally as a "blue,"
stating that, as there was no Board of Trade standard of the "blue,"
or one-third of a quart, the Inspector of Weights and Measures would
have no power to stamp measures of such denomination for use in
Resolved That it be an instruction to the Inspector of Weights
and Measures not to stamp the "blue" in future.
Committee considered the question of removing the old timber at
the horse-fair at Canton.
Property and Markets Committee decided not to invite further
tenders for watching and lighting wrecks.
32 St. Mary Street, Cardiff.
19th November 1888.
Dear Mr. Wheatley,
The re-print of the Beaufort Progress, 1684, just out, contains an
illustration of the Common Seal of the Town of Cardiff. As I do not
see the name of any member of the Corporation amongst the subscribers,
it is possible this may not come to your notice. In some measure it
bears out what I had to say upon the subject when writing you
concerning the Charters. A copy of the book is in the Free Library;
you will find the illustration page 357. I think it is a pity the more
interesting of the Charters cannot be re-produced by the same means
—or, for that matter, all of them, and especially the very interesting
MSS. extente in your hands; but to do this the documents would have
to be entrusted to the firm by whom this book is produced, and
who, in addition to their great skill in such matters, may be and are
entrusted with most rare deeds for a similar purpose. The arms are
those of De Clare, Earls of Gloucester; but the supporters are, I
think, the lyoncels of Jestyn ab Gwrgan. The shape of the shield
and the character of the lettering are, I think, the earlier part of the
14th century. It is possible the Seal itself may have been given up at
the same time as the deed of surrender to which it was affixed, and
that the smaller steel die which I have seen in your office may have
been obtained and used subsequently until the royal grant of a new
seal or the confirmation of the old one should be given. I suggest
this as a possible reason only for the loss of that seal, which was the
very symbol that such a "Comune" as Cardiff existed.
Very truly yours.
Geo. E. Robinson.
J. L. Wheatley, Esq.
Consideration of the above letter was deferred, and subsequently
Resolved That the Council be recommended to accept the offer
of Lord Bute as to the following open spaces, on condition that his
Lordship enclose and lay out and properly fence the same to the
satisfaction of the Borough Engineer and properly convey the same
to the Corporation, who will refund to his Lordship any sum he may
have paid for private improvements in respect thereof and undertake
to maintain such open spaces for all future time:—
(North and South),
1889 January 14.
£400 added to the Mayor's salary.
Committee formed to make arrangements for presenting the
Honorary Freedom to the Right Honourable William Ewart
Mr. A. H. Collingwood resigns the post of Deputy Town Clerk,
on his appointment to the Town Clerkship of Carlisle.
Council memorialize Lord Salisbury, the Premier, on the urgent
necessity for the construction of adequate military defences for the
coal ports in the Bristol Channel.
The Corporation have given the Marquess of Bute notice of their
intention to purchase Leckwith Common. His Lordship is Lord of
the Manor of Leckwith, and very nearly the sole commoner there.
John Davis Williams to be appointed Deputy Town Clerk, salary
£200. Mr. Williams is in the office of the Town Clerk of Denbigh.
1889 March 11.
Resolution of regret on the death of the Right Honourable John
Vote of thanks to Mr. John Lloyd and others, for the public
service rendered by them in procuring the final abolition of turnpike
tolls in South Wales.
At the expiration of two months the Borough Engineer is to take
down the old buildings adjoining the Free Library, in Trinity Street
and Working Street.
Borough Engineer is to prepare the necessary plans and
drawings for a new bridge over the Roath Brook, on the Pen-y-lan
Head Constable is granted six weeks' leave of absence on account
of his health.
1889 April 8.
Resolution of regret and condolence on the death of Alderman
Precept from the School Board for £10,500, for the expenses of
the Board for the ensuing six months.
Asylums Committee formed, Alderman John Cory chairman.
Mr. Gladstone has intimated that he is unable to visit Cardiff, but
will be pleased if the presentation of the Freedom can be made to him
at Sir E. J. Reed's London residence.
Resolved accordingly; and the Freedom is to be presented in a
gold casket, to be purchased by voluntary subscriptions.
1889 April 17.
It was proposed by Councillor J. H. Jones that Saint Mary Street
be in future called High Street, and that the present High Street with
St. Mary Street be numbered continuously; but a contrary amendment
The Council's attention was called to a Resolution of 12 December 1887, that the Borough Engineer furnish a yearly statement of
the Corporation property. The instruction is now renewed.
A motion by Councillors Thomas Rees and Sanders, for fixing 10
a.m. as the hour for meetings of the Council, was lost.
Town Clerk submitted the scheme of the Charity Commissioners
for dealing with the property of the dissolved Corporation of the
Constable of the Castle, Portreeve, Aldermen and Burgesses of
Llantrisant in the County of Glamorgan.
Resolved That the Town Clerk oppose the above scheme so far
as the same relates to the Freemen's Roll, and that application be
made to the Commissioners to place the said Roll in the custody
of the Corporation of Cardiff.
Mr. Spiridion is to repair the maces, at a cost of £3.
Resolved That the boundary of the Borough be enlarged by the
inclusion of the following parishes, viz., Penarth, Cogan and Llandough,
comprising the district of the Penarth Local Board; so much of the
parish of Llanishen as lies on the east side of the Rhymney Railway;
the parish of Rumney; the parish of Leckwith, and so much of the
parish of Llandaff as lies to the south of the river Ely.
A license was granted to Mr. William John for the Grand
Theatre, recently constructed in Westgate Street.
1889 May 13.
Vote of condolence with the widow of the late Head Constable,
Mr. Walter Hemingway.
The attention of the Health Committee is called to the nuisance
caused by the smoke from the Ely Paper Mills.
Resolved That the Borough be further enlarged by the inclusion
of so much of the parish of Llanedern as stands northwards to the
present boundary of the Borough, and bounded by the parish of
Rumney on the east, the parish of Llanishen on the west, and so
far northwards as the course of the brook called Nant Glan Dulas.
1889 June 3.
District Rate 1s. 1d. in the £.
Common Seal to be affixed to the Honorary Freedom of the
County Borough of Cardiff, for the Rt. Hon. W. E. Gladstone, M.P.
The re-admission of the Press to Committee Meetings was
carried by a large majority.
Florentine sun-blinds are to be fitted to the windows of the
Town Clerk's office.
1889 June 26.
To be included in the borough extension scheme: That part of
the parish of Llandaff lying east of and including the Rhymney
William McKenzie is appointed Head Constable and Director of
the Fire Brigade of the Borough of Cardiff; salary £400.
Borough Treasurer reported to the Watch Committee that there
were certain deficits in the accounts of the late Head Constable,
amounting in all to £376. 19s. 0d. It was therefore resolved not to
pay over to his widow the gratuity of £400, one year's salary, as
Borough Engineer reported that considerable damage had been
done to the allotments land on Canton Common by cattle trespassing
Resolved That trespassers be proceeded against and stray cattle
impounded, if found on the said land.
1889 July 8.
Council to represent to the Monmouthshire County Council the
desirability of removing the old toll-bar cottage on the northwest side of Rumney Bridge, adjoining the County Borough,
and throwing the site thereof and the garden adjoining into the
Land near Pengam Bridge is being acquired for widening
Borough Engineer reported that he had an interview with
Mr. Henry John Davis, of Newport, in reference to the proposed
enclosure of a portion of the old village green in front of Roath
Cabs Committee resolved That the Town Clerk write the local
Directors of the Tramway Co. calling attention to the necessity of
employing a pilot horse to draw the cars up the hill in Bute Street.
1889 September 9.
Resolution of regret and condolence on the death of Councillor
J. A. Le Boulanger, J. P.
Bus route from North Street to Blackweir is extended to Maendy
First Meeting of Electric Lighting Committee, 30 September,
recommended the Council to oppose the schemes of various companies
for supplying the electric light to Cardiff.
1889 October 14.
Mayor (Councillor David Jones).
Thomas Vaughan Yorath,
Thomas Windsor Jacobs,
Patrick William Carey,
David Edgar Jones.
John Guy Proger,
William Edmund Vaughan,
William John Trounce,
Sir Morgan Morgan,
Joseph Reynault James,
Samuel Arthur Brain,
Tom Hurry Riches,
Edward William Shackell,
Francis John Beavan,
William Benjamin Gibbs,
Joseph Henry Jones,
Frederick Henry Jotham,
Henry Lascelles Carr,
J. L. Wheatley, Town Clerk.
£7,000 to the School Board.
The land around Penhill reservoir is to be planted with shrubs
by Mr. William Treseder.
The Medical Officer of Health reports on the "Havannah"
Industrial School Ship. She is an old Government frigate, built in
the year 1814, and lent by the Admiralty to the Cardiff Ragged School.
She was brought from Devonport in 1860, and berthed in an
excavation made for her in the bank of the River Taff. The tide was
banked out and she was placed in her present position on the
Dumballs, on an acre of ground which was filled in and enclosed.
It would be unwise to incur any considerable expense in endeavouring
to improve the condition of this ship. In their report for 1888, the
"Havannah" Committee allude to the vessel as a "decaying hulk,"
and state that "age and weather have rendered her top-sides too
rotten to be made water-tight by caulking."
Borough Engineer is to submit plan and estimate of cost of
fencing and laying out the old village green opposite Roath Church.
(N.B. Previous entries refer to the land in question as "portion of
the old village green.")
1889 November 2.
Resolved That such part of the proceedings of the Parks &c.
Committee as recommends that a dwarf wall be erected round the
open space near Roath Church be eliminated.
Letter from Mr. J. A. Corbett applying, on behalf of Mr. G. T.
Clark, for permission to inspect the original Charters belonging to the
The Council has pleasure in granting permission to the person
to be appointed by Mr. G. T. Clark, to examine the Charters, in the
Town Clerk's Office.
Councillor Carr moved that the Mayor's banquet, hitherto held
on the 9th November, be discontinued.
Resolved accordingly, after defeat of an amendment which would
have made the banquet optional.
Resolved That a subscription banquet in honour of the incoming
Mayor shall be arranged by the Town Clerk, the price not to exceed
10s. 6d. per head, exclusive of wines; to take place on 9 November,
Committee appointed to arrange about the Judges' accommodation and to consider the question of a Mansion House for the Borough.