G - M
GABALFA, Y; or Caubalfa, (the ferry.) A hamlet and a mansion
in the parish of Llandaff, on the left bank of the river Taff,
near Llandaff ford and bridge. In 1612 "Cabalva, 5 acres"
was found to be concealed land and was demised to Oliver
GALLOWS FIELDS, The. Two meadows on the north-eastern
boundary of the Borough, at the west side of the junction
between Crwys Road, Castle Road and Albany Road (1803.)
Their site is now intersected by Richmond Road, which, at
its junction with the above roads, apparently runs along the
boundary between the two Gallows Fields. These were oblong,
their eastern ends abutting on the junction between Crwys
Road and Castle Road (plan of 1820.) The name reminds
us that this was anciently the place of public executions. The
fields were originally in four plots, known as 1. Gallows Pit,
2. Pwll-halog ("Defiled Pool") or Plwca-halog ("Defiled
Pleck"), 3. Cut-throats, and 4. Cae-pudr ("Putrid Close.")
These measured one acre each, and were a portion of the
Little Heath, near the site of Woodville.
GALLOWS PIT. One of the Gallows Fields.
GALLOWS YARD (1821.) That part of the former Gaol in which
public executions took place. It was a court off Saint Mary
Street, about opposite the London and Provincial Bank. In
older records the place is called the Gall House (1715.)
GARDD-Y-CRUG, "Carthcreke" (the hillock garden.) A garden in
the lordship of Whitchurch, scheduled in 1492.
GARTH, The. (The round, untilled hill-top.) A round, bare
mountain at the entrance to the Taff Vale, on the river's right
bank, eight miles north-west from Cardiff and chiefly in the
parish of Pentyrch.
GARTH COURT (1878.)
GASCOIN. Mr. Corbett marks with this name a small piece of land
south of Portmanmoor and just south-west of the Tharsis
Copper Works, on the shore of the East Moors.
GELLI, Y (the grove.) A farm in the chapelry of Whitchurch.
GELLI-GRON, Y (the round grove.) A piece of land in the parish
of Llantrisant (1655.)
GILFACH-WEN, Y (the white nook.) A tenement in the parish of
Saint Fagan (c. 1670.)
GLAMORGAN. Welsh Gwlad Morgan, or Gwladforgan (the land of
Morgan.) Anciently a Cambro-British princedom extending
from Neath eastward to Usk; now one of the Welsh counties,
lying between the shires of Carmarthen, Brecknock and
Monmouth. The name is traditionally ascribed to Morgan, a
prince of this territory, who was a kinsman of King Arthur.
GLAN-ELY (recteGlan Elai,) "the bank of the Ely river." A house
and grounds a little to the west of Ely and Fairwater.
GLAN-Y-NANT (the bank of the brook.) A house on a little stream
near Fairwater (1885.)
GLAN-YR-AFON (the bank of the river.) A house near the right
bank of the Taff, in the parish of Radyr.
GLASSPOOL, "Glaspole" (probably from Welsh pwll glas, green
pool.) Another name for the little manor of Plas-Turton (1438.)
GLOUCESTER, The Honour of. The superior Norman lordship
palatine which included the old native principalities of Gwent
and Morganwg. Though for a long period it was held by one
lord, the Honour was afterwards divided among two and more
marcher lords; of whom the Lord of Glamorgan held Cardiff
Castle and the manors which were subject to it.
GLYN, Y (the valley.) A piece of land in the lordship of Pentyrch
GLYN-TAF (the vale of the Taff.) The narrow mouth of the river's
valley, in the parish of Eglwysilan. The forest or uncultivated
portion of this valley was in 1307 appurtenant to the lordship
GOBBINS' MILL. A grist-mill in the parish of Pentyrch in the
bedelry of Miscyn (1547.)
GOCKET, Cocket, The; "Gockid." A tenement in Pentyrch (c. 1670,
1763.) This name is found also in Monmouthshire and West
Herefordshire, and near Swansea.
GOETRE, Y; "Goytre" (the habitation in the wood.) A tenement in
the parish of Radyr and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
GOFER-Y-MARCHOG (the rivulet of the knight.) A piece of land
near Pont-Lleici, in the parish of Roath and manor of RoathKeynsham (1702.)
GOLATE. A lane leading from Saint Mary Street westward down
the left bank of the old bed of the river Taff to Westgate
Street. It was sometimes called the Golly Gate (1786),
and the Goleet. The name is a variant of Gully-yat, i.e.,
gully passage, in allusion to a stream which ran down here
into the Taff. There is a certain historical interest in the
popular but erroneous derivation which attributed the name to
the fact that this lane afforded an opportunity to procrastinating
mariners to "go late" aboard their vessels as these swung
down the river from the Quay. It is called Golate in a
document of 1738, the Gall Gate 1748, Gollyate and Gollgate
in 1750, Gullate 1779, and "The Goo-late" from 1840 to 1850.
GOLDENHOOK, "Gouldenhoke," Great and Little. Two pieces of
pasture land measuring twelve and eleven acres respectively,
in the lordship of Roath (1492.)
GOLDEN LION COURT. A part of Barry Lane, adjoining the
Golden Lion inn (1880.)
GOLDSLAND. Welsh Tregold. A manor held by a branch of
Mathew of Llandaff, under the manor of Wenvoe (1583.)
GOOSE ACRE. A piece of pasture land in the parish of Llandaff,
belonging to the Archdeacon and Chapter of the Cathedral
GOOSELEAS, "Goslyu's." A parcel of land in the lordship of
Roath (1542.) It is the pasture land between Roath church
and the Deri farm. In the Roath-Keynsham Survey of 1703
it is called Goose Lease.
GORSLON, The. A field of eight acres in the parish of Leckwith
GORSWG (the boggy place.) A small house in the parish of Llanedern, on the west bank of the river Rhymny, north of
"GOVOA." A common in the parish of Leckwith (1725.)
GOWER. A place in the parish of Leckwith, south of the village.
GOWT, The. A fishery in the lordship of Roath (1542.)
GRACE'S HOUSE. This was property of the Corporation. The
lease was lost as long ago as 1738, and from about 1750 no
rent was paid for the premises; but it figures in the Rentals
down to 1817, by which time the very identity of the house
GRAIG, Y (the rock.) A farmhouse between Fairwater and St.
GRAIG-FACH, Y (the little rock.) A farm in the parish of Lisvane.
GRANGE DE MORE, Moor Grange, or simply Grange. An ancient
monastic tithe-barn in the parish of Llandaff, on the Moors west
of Cardiff, which belonged to the abbot and monks of Margam
Abbey. The old barn, which was lately a farm-house, is still
standing and gives its name to Cardiff's south-western suburb,
Grangetown, built in the seventies of the 19th century. The
Grange Farm, as it is called, shews some slight remains of
mediaeval architecture, and many fragments of Gothic windowtracery lie about. This house stands, with a small marketgarden, at the north-west corner of Stockland Street, close to
the east side of Clive Street, Grangetown. In the memory of
persons yet living, it was the only house between Cardiff and
GRANGETOWN. The south-western suburb of Cardiff, built on the
West Moors between Cardiff and Penarth. So called from the
ancient Grange which, until about the year 1870, was the only
building in that vicinity. (Vide Grange de More.) This part
of the town lies in the parish of Llandaff.
GREAT FRIARS' CLOSE. A field at the Grey Friars (c. 1540.)
GREAT HOSTRY, The. A burgage to which adjoined twelve acres
of meadow in Robertscroft, within the franchise of the town of
GREAT WESTERN APPROACH. The wide road rising to the
level of the departure platform of the Great Western Railway
Station, Cardiff, from the south end of Saint Mary Street. It
is a private road in the possession of the Company, and was
constructed in 1866, after filling in the old bed of the river
GREAT WESTERN LANE. A narrow thoroughfare leading from
Wood Street southwards to Great Western Approach, parallel
with the west side of Saint Mary Street. For its whole length
this lane crosses the site of old Saint Mary's churchyard.
GREEN LANE. The name by which Broadway, Roath, was known
GREENMEADOW. A mansion in the hamlet of Tongwynlais, in the
chapelry of Whitchurch ; the residence of Henry Lewis, esq.,
GREENMEADOW COURT. A secluded square court, with six
small houses and a walled garden, off the west side of a narrow
lane forming the southernmost continuation of Baker's Row.
GREENSAYS. A tenement west of Cogan.
GREENWARD, "Greneourde." Certain pastures in the marshlands
of the lordship of Roath (1492, 1542.)
GREEN WAY, "Grenewey." A road forming the northern boundary
of Pensisli Isaf, in the parish of Llandaff (1543.) Also a
homestead in the parish of Rumney (1731.)
GREYFRIARS. The convent of Franciscans, or mendicant friars.
It was situate on the north side of Crockherbtown, and its
remains may still be seen in Lord Bute's garden, adjoining
Cathays Park on the south. The convent was founded 1280.
At the Suppression it was granted to the Herbert family, who
rebuilt the house for their residence and called it "The Friars."
It was then regarded as the mansion of a manor called
"Kibbor and Cardiff otherwise Friars," and, more recently,
"White Friars and Kibbor."
GRIFFIN'S FARM. A farmhouse on Ely Common, on the north
side of Cowbridge Road.
GRIFFITHSMOOR. A lordship under that of Whitchurch,
consisting mainly of the flat land along the Severn shore,
from Cardiff to the Rhymny bridge, parcel of the possessions
of Gruffydd ap Rhys, confiscated to the Lord of Glamorgan
circa 1266. It is apparently identical with Pengam. The name
occurs in 1702, but is now obsolete.
GROES-LLWYD, Y (the grey, hoary or venerable cross.) Between
the city of Llandaff and the hamlet of Fairwater (1592.)
GROES-WEN, Y (the white or blessed cross.) A place in the parish
of Radyr (1708.)
GUILDHALL, The. Anciently called the Booth Hall. It stood in
the middle of High Street, between the High Cross and the
Castle Gate. After being several times rebuilt, it was finally
demolished in 1861.
GWAELOD-Y-GARTH (the bottom of the round, untilled hill.) A
farm and hamlet in the parish of Pentyrch, at the eastern base
of the Garth mountain.
GWAUN-DYLLGOED (the meadow of the holed trees.) A close
in Llandaff parish. "Gwayne dulcoyd" (1647.) "Gwayne
Killgoed" (1612.) Fairwater Mead, on the south side of
the road from Llandaff to Fairwater.
GWAUN-FEIBION-SION, "Gwayne Veibon Shone" (the meadow
of the sons of Joan.) A tenement in the parish of Pentyrch
and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
GWAUN-GALED (the hard meadow.) Near Llanishen (1653.)
GWAUN-MAELOG, "Gwain y Mailloch" (Maeloc's mead.) A
meadow bordering on the south-west of Pengam (1702.) Also
described as a tenement and six acres in Roath Moor, in the
manor of Llystalybont (1653.)
GWAUN-SION-HYWEL (John Howel's mead.) A piece of land on
the shore of the East Moor (1764.)
GWAUN-SYR-HARI (Sir Henry's meadow.) Two acres in the
parish of Llandaff belonging to the Chapter (1673.)
GWAUN-TRE-ODA (the meadow of the habitation of Oda.) The
Welsh name for Whitchurch Common, now inaccurately applied
also to the old farmhouse of Treoda.
GWAUN-Y-CEFN-COED, "Gwain-y-Kinkod" (the meadow of the
ridge of the wood.) In the parish of Llantrisant (1761.)
GWAUN-Y-GWAYW-COCH (the meadow of the red spear.) A
tenement holden by Sir Trevor Williams in the parish of Saint
Fagan, manor of Pentyrch and Clun (c. 1670.)
"GWAUN-Y-PENTRAHAND." A place on the Great Heath, on
the boundary of Roath-Keynsham (1702.)
GWAUN-Y-PWLL (the meadow of the pool.) In the parish of Roath
and manor of Roath-Keynsham. It was holden with Pengam
GWELYDD-COCHION (red walls.) Nine acres of land in the
parishes of Leckwith and Llandaff, adjoining to Canton
Common. A will of 1712 refers to it as "Gwynith Cochen."
Mr. J. S. Corbett's map shews "Gwynydd Cochion" as lying
between Canton Common and Rusham.
GWELYDD-GWYNION (white walls.) A piece of land at Canton,
on the south side of Cowbridge Road, near the Commons
of Ely and Leckwith.
GWENT. An ancient Cambro-British kingdom in South Wales,
adjoining Glamorgan on the east and separated from it by the
river Rhymny. At various times and according to different
computations, the dividing river has been stated to be the Taff,
the Rhymny, the Usk and the Afon-llwyd; but these
discrepancies may be accounted for on the supposition that the
territory named Gwentllwg (which was bounded by the Taff
or the Rhymny on the west and the Usk or the Afon-llwyd on
the east) was not a portion of the kingdom of Gwent but of
Glamorgan—in which case the Usk or the Afon-llwyd would
be the western boundary of Gwent proper. Gwent was
anciently considered as extending eastward to the bridge of
Gloucester. In its modern signification, Gwent is the county
of Monmouth and so lies between the rivers Rhymny and
Wye. (Vide Monmouthshire.) Gwent was a part of the
territory of the Silures, who offered such a long resistance to
the force of imperial Rome; and in the early middle ages it
was regarded as forming a portion of the Welsh kingdom of
Morganwg—but there is very great confusion in the
nomenclature of this region.
GWENTLLWG. A Hundred and lordship in south-west Monmouthshire, lying along the Severn shore from the Usk westward to
the Rhymny. Anciently it was sometimes considered as
extending to the Taff, and was held under the Lord of
Glamorgan and Morganwg. The derivation of both halves of
the name is as yet unknown. (fn. 1)
GWERN-GWLADYS (the alder-trees of Gladys.) A tenement in
Pentyrch (c. 1670.)
GWERN-LLEWELYN-GOCH (the alder-trees of Llewelyn the redhaired.) A parcel of ground in the parish of Llanishen
HAMS, Hames, The. Certain pasture lands just north of Cardiff.
HANER-CNAP (the half knob.) Half an acre at Canton (1713.)
HANER-FACH (the little half-acre.) A field in Canton (1713.)
"HANNEREG, The." (?Haner-erw, half-acre, or Haner-ddeg, halften.) A close in the city of Llandaff (1755.)
HARP-ACRE (the harp-shaped piece of land.) A meadow in the
lordship of Leckwith (1492.)
HAYES, The; "le heys." A part of the town near the east wall.
To describe it in terms of the present day, it is a street
running from south to north, from the north end of Bute Street
to the Free Library. In 1550—1610 the Hayes (as its name
implies) was open ground, largely consisting of gardens, with
small detached tenements interspersed; yet it lay within the
town wall. The name was applied particularly to one cottage
and piece of ground (1817), approach to which was by a
footpath and a stone stile (1820.) The Hays Close is named in
a document of 1786. These premises were situate about where
is now the Batchelor statue.
HAYES STILE, The. This figures as a gate at the north end of the
Hayes, between it and Working Street, in Speed's map of
1610. The name was afterwards borne by a house and garden
which stood here (1829.)
HAYWARD'S PLOT, The. A meadow in the lordship of Roath,
named in a Minister's Account of 1492. It belonged to the
office of Prevost of Cardiff.
HAYWOOD. A piece of pasture land in the lordship of Llantrisant
HEATH, The; or Cardiff Heath. A wide tract of once uncultivated
land lying immediately north of Cardiff. It is divided into
two portions, called in English the Great Heath, and the Little
Heath, the latter lying nearest the town. The entire Heath
extends from the boundary of Saint John's parish northward
to the foot of Cefn-on. Common rights in the Heath were
granted in ancient times to the burgesses of Cardiff, but
were gradually extinguished until, early in the 19th century,
the whole remainder of the common land was divided among
private owners by the Enclosure Awards of 1802 and 1809.
A large share fell to the Corporation, but was eventually sold.
The Heath Farm lands, close to the old Race Course, were
sold in 1849, to raise funds for building a new Town Hall.
The remainder was disposed of circa 1863, to obtain the
purchase-money for the new Cemetery. On the north of
Ton-yr-ywen, the Heath may be seen in its original state,
clad in gorse, fern and moss.
HEATH, THE GREAT, but in Welsh Mynydd Bychan ("the Little
Heath.") A wide tract of once uncultivated land lying to the
north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the
Little Heath, in Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste mead,")
which lies between the Great Heath and the town. The Great
Heath was divided under the Enclosure Award of 1809, the
Corporation of Cardiff receiving a large share in fee, which
they sold to various persons between 1809 and 1849. The
name Mynydd Bychan is particularly that of a small farm three
miles north north-west of Cardiff, on the east side of the
road to Cefn-on.
HEATH, THE LITTLE. In Welsh Waun Ddyfal ("the waste
mead.") A tract of land, mostly pasture, lying immediately
north of Cardiff. The English name distinguishes it from the
Great Heath, in Welsh Mynydd Bychan ("the Little Heath,")
which extends further to the north. Sold to various persons,
HEATHLANDS. A house near Maendy and Mynachdy, on the
HEAVES, The. Certain marshes, part of Cardiff Moor (1649.)
HENDRE (the old homestead.) A house in the city of Llandaff, on
the south side of the street leading to Radyr. This interesting
Welsh word denotes the permanent country-house, as opposed
to the Hafoty (Havotty) or summer house; which last was a
mere shieling among the hills, inhabited only during the warm
months while the cattle were being pastured. The name
Hendre is also borne by a pasture containing 4½ acres, held by
a free tenant in the lordship of Roath (1542.) Prior to the
Dissolution, it belonged to Margam Abbey.
HENDRE-DENY (the old habitation of Denis.) A hamlet in the
parish of Eglwysilan (1793.)
HEN MEADOWS, The. Marked on Mr. Corbett's map as situate
close to the south side of the G.W.R., north-west of the
HEOL-COSTIN, "Hewl y Coston" (Costin's lane.) In the parish
of Lavernock (1726.)
HEOL-DON (the lane to the layland.) A house in the parish of
Whitchurch, on the west of Velindre (1886.)
HEOL-GOED (the lane of the wood.) Running north and south on
Cardiff Heath (1653.)
HEOL-HIR (the long lane.) In the parish of Llanishen (1653, 1756.)
Also a farm in the manor of and near Llystalybont (1818.)
HEOL-HOISCYN (Hoskin's lane.) In the manor of Llystalybont,
on the western slope of the Cefn-coed (1653.)
HEOL-ISAF (lower lane.) A house near the right bank of the Taff,
in the parish of Radyr.
HEOL-RHIW'R-CYRPH (the lane at the slope of the corpses.) In
the parish of Whitchurch (1605.)
HEOL-WILYM (William's lane.) A place in or near the parish of
HEOL-Y-CAWL. The Welsh name for Wharton Street. It means
"Crock-herb Street," or "Worten Street." It occurs, as the
only name for Wharton Street, in a conveyance of 1830.
HEOL-Y-CEFN-COED, Cefn-coed Lane, runs from the new
Merthyr Road (now Albany Road) northwards across the
Nant-mawr at Pont-Lleici and along the top of the ridge called
Cefn-coed. It is now called Pen-y-lan Road till it reaches the
HEOL-Y-PARC (park lane.) In the parish of Pentyrch (1738.)
HERMITAGE, The. A house and small chapel built on Cardiff
Bridge (1492.) The hermit had charge of the bridge, and was
supported, as was the bridge chapel, by the pious alms of the
people and by various grants from the lord. A burgage called
the Hermitage, at Cardiff Bridge, is mentioned in a document
HEYN, The. A place in the Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff (1535.)
"HIEN TOR" (possibly Hen-dwr, the old tower.) A place in the fee
of Llystalybont, and west of Dobbinpits, referred to in a
private charter of 1326.
HIGH CORNER HOUSE. A seventeenth-century tenement with
two overhanging stories, situate at the north-west corner of
Duke Street, where a short lane led up to the Castle entrance.
It was the office of Lord Bute's Solicitor, Mr. Edward Priest
Richards, and was demolished 1877. Roberts' draper's shop
occupies the adjacent site.
HIGH CROSS, The. The cross-ways at the meeting of High Street,
Saint Mary Street, Church Street and Quay Street (1798.)
The site of the ancient Market Cross of the borough.
HIGHLANDS. A dwelling-house above Cogan Pill, in the parish of
HIGHMEAD. A house and grounds on the west side of the road
from Ely towards Cowbridge.
HIGH STREET. The main thoroughfare in the northern part of the
old town of Cardiff, forming a northward continuation of Saint
Mary Street, to the Castle gate. It is first mentioned, under
its Latin form alta strata, in the municipal charter of circa 1331.
HILL-UCHAF, and Hill-isaf (? the upper and lower hills.) Places in
the manor of Spital in the lordship of Roath, near the Roath
HOLLYBUSH. An interesting 16th-century farmhouse, with
thatched roof and chimney-stacks of curious shape, near the
west side of Roath Park, and a little east of the Heath Farm.
HOLMEAD, Holemead, Great and Little. Two meadows in the
lordship of Roath (1492.) Mr. Corbett marks Great Holmead
as lying in Roath Moor, on the south-east of the G.W.R.,
adjoining Brundon Lands on the north ; with a smaller
Holmead adjoining it on the south-east corner.
HOLMS, The. Two small islands in the Bristol Channel, named
respectively the Flat Holm and the Steep Holm.
HORSE-FAIR, The. The land immediately outside the South Gate
HUNGRY HILL, in or near Llandaff (1535.)
ISLAND, The. A name given to the middle row in Smith Street
(1849.) Also a piece of pasture-land for sheep, in the Severn
marshes in the lordship of Roath (1492.) Mr. Corbett's map
shews this as the land between Newport Road and Richards
Terrace, with Stacey Road running across the middle of it.
ISLWYN (below the bush.) A tenement in the parish of Leckwith,
between the village and the river Ely.
JOHN SAUNDERS' HOUSE, "Sauners House." In 1803 a
messuage bearing this name was property of the Corporation,
who sold the materials of it in 1823.
JONES' PILL. Mr. Corbett's map gives this name to a tidal inlet on
the shore of Portmanmoor.
"KAE BIMSALLOG." A close in the parish of Lisvane (1597.)
"KAE Y GOBOYE." A close in the Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff
"KAE-YR-GAYLL." A meadow near the Wattrell, on the highway
from Llandaff to Plas-mawr, belonging to the Treasurer's
Manor of Llandaff (1649.)
"KAE-YR-GWYFILL-Y-WAYN-ADAM" (?Gwyrfil's (fn. 2) close in
Adam's mead.) Land at Cefn-coed in the parish of Llanedern
and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.)
"KAE-YR-OVEN" (perhaps Cae-yr-ofn, the close of fear; but more
likely Cae-yr-oen, the lamb's close.) A close of arable land in
the Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff (1649.)
"KAYBARRY." Certain lands in Cibwr referred to in a Minister's
Account of 1492. In a record of 1550 these seem to be
referred to under the name "Keynerrey."
"KEGDWOW" (?Caeau duon, the black closes.) Lands in the parish
of Roath and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.)
KENNEL, The. A piece of land on the north side of Whitmoor
Lane. It was also called Southgate Field (1822.)
KETCHCROFT, Casecroft. A big piece of pasture land close to the
east side of Pengam house (1900.) It is named Catch Croft
in a document of 1809. Mr. Corbett marks as "Kechcroft or
Casecroft" a piece of land on the Rhymny river's right bank,
north-east of Pengam farmhouse.
KETTLE COURT. Off the north side of Barry Lane, parallel with
the Hayes. Demolished circa 1899.
KING STREET. A thoroughfare in the eastern part of the town,
between Duke Street and the East Gate. It ran from east to
west, parallel with Smith Street, on the south side of the
KING'S CASTLE. An ancient and very solidly-constructed house in
the hamlet of Canton, on the north side of the Cowbridge Road.
(1710, 1796, 1823.) The name and origin of the place are
involved in obscurity. It had a garden between it and the
road, and was demolished 1892 to make way for the Davies
Memorial Hall. Little King's Castle was an old tenement on
the north side of the Cowbridge Road, further west than the
King's Castle, at the corner of King's Road, where the King's
Castle Hotel now stands. This inn, lately rebuilt, was known
as the King's Castle public-house in 1866.
KNAP, The. An alternative name for Allen's Bank, according to an
Allotment Map of Cardiff Heath, of the commencement of the
19th century. Welsh cnap, a "knob" or tump.
KNOCKER'S HOLE. A tenement situated at the south-east corner
of Barry Lane (1715, 1777, 1786, 1815.) It was a small tworoomed dwelling-house facing north, with a walled garden in
front. In 1821 it was in tenure of Alderman Thomas Mathews.
KYMIN, The; recte Cymyn (the common.) The low land sloping to
the shore at the beach, west of Penarth Head (1730.) A hill
near Monmouth bears the same name.
KYTTE, The. Certain land which was demised with the Severn
marshes within the lordship of Roath (Minister's Account,
LAMBY MOOR. The marshy land on the east side of the Rhymny
LANCROSS (?the long cross.) A place in the parish of Rumney
LANCROSS WOOD. In the parish of Leckwith, south of the
LANDMEAD, quære Longmead? Two acres of meadow at Adamsdown, named in a Minister's Account of 1492, and then lately
occupied by the Gatekeeper of Cardiff Castle.
LANDORE COURT. On the west side of Saint Mary Street,
between Golate and the Queen's Hotel. Sometimes called
"Irish Row." It was demolished circa 1889.
LANGBY (Danish for "long village.") A place in or near the
lordship of Rumney, referred to in a Minister's Account of
"LANRUMNEY," recte Glanrhymny (the bank of the Rhymny.) A
manor in the parishes of Rumney and Saint Mellon in
Monmouthshire, and Llanedern, Glamorgan (1653.) It is also
called the manor of "Wentloog alias Keynsham." Lanrumney
(often sounded Landrumney) is also the name of the mansion,
which is on the river's bank in the parish of Saint Mellon.
LAVERNOCK (in Welsh Llanwernog, the church by the alder-trees;
or, perhaps, Llanfrynach, the church of Saint Brynach.) A
village and parish on the coast of the Vale of Glamorgan, just
west from Penarth.
LAZARHOUSE, Lazarus or Leper-house, The (Latin Domus
Leprosum.) A hospital situate within the liberties of Cardiff
borough (1550.) Probably the Spital.
LECKWITH. Y Llechwedd (the slope.) A village and parish
three miles west of Cardiff, in the Hundred of Dinas Powys.
It gives its name to the Leckwith Hills, a picturesque, wooded
range extending from Caerau southwards and terminating with
Penarth Head. The Manor of Leckwith has always belonged
to the Lord of Cardiff. The name occurs towards the end of
the 12th century as that of a chapelry.
LECKWITH BOTTOM. The flat land between Cock Hill and the
LECKWITH TOP. A hill just south of the village.
LEWIS STREET. This name was given to the northern portion of
Bute Street, when first constructed circa 1835; but is now
seldom used, the term Bute Street being applied to the entire
length of Cardiff's principal southern thoroughfare, from the
Hayes to the Pier Head.
LINCHES, The. A piece of land on Pengam Moor (1809.) Mr.
Corbett marks this on his map as a series of plots of land just
above ordinary high-water mark, on the East Moors, and as
being the lowest marsh on this shore.
LISVANE, Llys-faen (stone court.) A village and parish in the
Hundred of Cibwr, five miles north from Cardiff. It was
anciently a chapelry of Roath-Tewkesbury.
LITTLE BRIDEWELL, Little Bridgewell. The Archivist has not
been able to fix the locality which bore this name. It seems
to have been east of Cathays garden. The name occurs from
1738 to 1786.
LITTLECROFT. 2½ acres of land in the lordship of Roath (1492.)
LITTLEHAM. Two parcels of land by the New Mill pond and the
Grey Friars, within the liberties of the town of Cardiff (1492.)
LITTLEHILL, "Litelhull." In the lordship of Cogan (1492.)
LITTLE PARK. An earlier name for the Cardiff Arms Park (1886.)
LITTLE TREDEGAR. A tenement near Roath parish church
LITTLE TROY. A garden on the west side of Working Street, on
part of the site of the Free Library buildings. Its name was
afterwards applied to a group of small tenements there erected
(1738-1835.) So called after a maze or "Troy Town" which
stood in the Trinity Garden and belonged to Saint John's
LLANDAFF. Welsh Llandâf (the church on the Taff.) The
ecclesiastical capital of the ancient kingdoms of Glamorgan,
Gwent and Ergyng. A cathedral city, a parish, a manor, a
commote and a diocese. The city is about two miles northwest of Cardiff; the parish adjoins that of Saint Mary, Cardiff;
the manor was anciently a marcher lordship, with a castle,
held by the Bishop; the commote is divided from that of
Cibwr by the river Taff on the east; the diocese comprises,
practically, Glamorgan and Monmouthshire. The ecclesiastical
traditions of Llandaff go back to the earliest days of the British
Church ; but as a fixed see it owes its origin to Saint Teilo, its
greatest bishop, who died 566. (fn. 3) The city is now joined to the
town of Cardiff by a chain of dwellinghouses.
LLANDAFF, THE TREASURER'S MANOR OF. This comprises
lands which from ancient times have belonged to the Treasurer
for the time being of the Cathedral. The mansion, known as
the Treasurer's House, stood near the Cathedral and the
Bishop's Castle. Its ruins still remain. In 1291 the manor
contained 32 acres.
LLANDAFF COMMON. The lands on the south of Pensisli Isaf,
near Ely and Canton (1543.)
LLANDAFF COURT. The ancient mansion of the family of Mathew
of Llandaff, formerly called Bryn-y-gynen, and now the palace
of the Bishop of Llandaff.
LLANDAFF FIELDS. The meadows lying between Llandaff Cathedral and the Canton streets near Pont-Canna. These fields are
the lands composing the most ancient grants to the see of
Llandaff. They were lately conveyed by the ecclesiastical
authorities to the Corporation of Cardiff as a public park.
LLANDAFF FORD. Welsh Rhyd Llandaîf. Across the river Taff
just south of Llandaff Bridge. At the end of the 18th century
the river's banks at this place were steepened, to render the
ford impassable and so increase the bridge-toll.
LLANDAFF GREEN. A large square of grassy space in the city of
Llandaff, on the west side of the Cathedral.
LLANDAFF HOUSE. A large old mansion in the city of Llandaff,
at the north-east corner of the road to Saint Fagan's.
LLANDAFF YARD. A portion of the parish of Llandaff lying on
the left or east bank of the river Taff.
LLANDOUGH, recté Llandoch. (The church of Saint Docheu, or
Oudoceus, the third Bishop of Llandaff.) A village, parish and
manor in the Hundred of Dinas Powys, 2½ miles west from
Cardiff, on the eastern slope of the Leckwith hills. It is often
called Llandough-juxta-Penarth, to distinguish it from Llandough near Cowbridge.
LLANEDERN (fn. 4) (the church of Saint Eternus.) A village and parish
in the Hundred of Cibwr, three miles north-east from Cardiff,
on the main Roman road. The name-saint founded here a
choir of monks, in the 7th century.
LLANFAIR (Saint Mary's church.) A farm in the chapelry of
Llanilltern; doubtless the site of a dismantled chapel.
LLANFAIR-FACH (Little Saint Mary-church.) A tenement in the
parish of Saint Fagan (c. 1670.)
LLANFEDW (the church of the birch-grove.) A chapelry or township in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-fedw. The greater part of
this parish lies in Monmouthshire; but the chapelry is divided
from it by the river Rhymny, and is in Glamorgan.
LLANFORDA, (fn. 5) "Lambordan." An ancient chapel at Coed-y-gores,
in the parish of Roath. It is referred to in a Minister's Account
of 1392. It is now a cottage, called Ty'r-capel, "the chapel
LLANGATWG (the church of Saint Cadoc.) A farm in the parish of
Llanedern; doubtless the site of a dismantled chapel.
LLANISHEN (Llan-Nisien.) A village and parish in the Hundred of
Cibwr, on the right bank of the river Rhymny, four miles
north from Cardiff. There was a large monastery of the
ancient British Church here, presided over by Saint Nisien, or
LLANMAES (the church in the field.) A farm in the parish of Saint
LLANTRISANT (the church of three saints.) An ancient parish and
borough in the Hundred of Miscyn. The church, castle and
town are picturesquely situate on a steep hill. The borough
is a sister to Cardiff, and unites with her in returning a Member
to Parliament. The church is dedicated in the names of Saints
Illtyd, Gwyno and Tyfodwg. The castle was destroyed by
Owain Glyndwr in 1404, and was probably never afterwards
rebuilt. (fn. 6)
LLAN-Y-WRAICH (? llan y wrach, "the hag's enclosure.") A field
on the north of Llandaff Cathedral.
LLEST-OWEN. A tenement of lands in the parish of Llantrisant
LLOYD'S COURT. Off Camp Lane (1821.)
LLWYD-COED (grey wood.) Land in the parish of Llantrisant
LLWYN-CELYN (Hollybush.) A farm on the Nant-mawr in the
parish of Roath, on the eastern boundary of the manor of
LLWYN-CRWN (the round bush.) A free tenement in the parish of
Llanishen and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.)
LLWYN-CYNFYN, "Lloyne Convyn" (Cynfyn's bush.) A tenement
in the parish of Pentyrch and lordship of Miscyn (1666),
divided into Uchaf and Isaf, Higher and Lower.
LLWYN-DA-DDU, "Lloyne Da dee" (the good, black bush.) A
tenement in the parish of Pentyrch and lordship of Miscyn
LLWYN-FWYALCH, "Lloyne Vowalch" (the blackbird's bush.)
A tenement in the parish of Saint Fagan and lordship
of Miscyn (1666.)
LLWYN-IOLE, Llwynyoli, "Lloyn-yole." A farm in the chapelry of
Llanilltern, in the parishes of Saint Fagan and Pentyrch
LLWYN-MALLT (Maud's bush.) A farm in Whitchurch parish
LLWYN-Y-BRAIN (the crows' bush.) A tenement in the parish
of Pentyrch and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
LLWYN-Y-GRANT, Llwyn Grawnt (Grant's bush.) The name of
three farms, Upper, Lower and Middle, in the parish of Roath.
Called after the surname of a Norman-Welsh family long
LLWYN-Y-PIA (the pye's bush.) A piece of land between Allen's
Bank and Pen-y-waun, two furlongs east of the northern
boundary of the Borough (map of 1850.) Also a farm in the
parish of Lisvane.
LLWYN-YR-EOS (the nightingale's bush.) A farm in the parish
LLYN-FRAITH (the motley lake.) A place in the river Taff at
LLYS-DU (the black court.) Also called Ty-mawr, Great House.
A picturesque old house adjoining Roath churchyard on the
south-east, between it and Cwrt-bach.
LLYS-TAL-Y-BONT (the court at the head of the bridge.) A
manor, mansion and hamlet a mile north of Cardiff, on the left
bank of the river Taff. It is now separated from the river by
the Glamorganshire canal. The place was of very great
importance in the 13th century and earlier.
LONG CLOSE. A meadow near Adamsdown (1542.)
LONGCROSS. A tall stone cross erected by a man named Payn, (fn. 7)
on the eastern boundary of Saint John's parish, Cardiff,
where it touches Roath. It was anciently termed Payn's
Cross in legal documents, and is so described in the Cardiff
municipal charter of 1340. In later times a house called
Longcross House was erected near the cross. It was
demolished 1844, to make way for Artillery Barracks, but a
new house stood near in 1863. This in turn was pulled
down c. 1880, to make room for the Glamorgan and
Monmouthshire Infirmary. Longcross Street retains the old
name. At the cross-ways here suicides used to be interred.
Longcross House, cottage and garden stood where is now the
Children's Ward of the Infirmary. There was a piece of waste
land between it and the road to Adamsdown Farm (1835);
which said road is now called Glossop Road and leads in a
short distance to Longcross Street. Longcross is incorrectly
written "Lancross" in some documents, including the Heath
Enclosure Award of 1809.
LONG DIKE, The. A dike for draining the moors immediately
east of the Bute Docks, in the parish of Saint John Baptist.
A house near there bore the same name (1844, 1857.)
LORD'S HENGE, The. A fishery on the sea shore in the lordship
of Roath, between "Pulkye" on the east and the "Weydram"
on the south. Mentioned in the Account of 1542 as having
been leased to Rawlyn White (fn. 8) by Edmund Turnor deceased,
and theretofore belonging to the King.
LOWER LAYER, The. A place below the town of Cardiff, referred
to in the Glamorganshire Canal Act, 1796.
MACKENZIE SHOAL. Between the Flat Holm and the Steep
Holm, in the Bristol Channel.
MAELOC'S LODERS ("Maillokes-lodirs.") Pasture land in the
manor of Rumney, referred to in a Minister's Account of
MAELOG'S FEE. A tenement held in conjunction with Llystalybont and Wysam by Sir William Maelog, temp. Hen. III.
MAENDY (corruptly Maindy,) "stone house." A farm-house and
hamlet on the North Road, about a mile north of Cardiff, in
the manor of Llandaff. The name probably dates from a time
when timber or wattle houses were the only others in the
vicinity. The bounds of the parishes of Saint John (Cardiff)
and Whitchurch run through Maendy Farm. There is a farm
called Maendy Bach ("Little Maendy"), a short distance south
of the other.
MAERDY (the steward's house.) A farm in the parish of Lisvane.
MAES-TRE-WERN (the field of the habitation by the alder-trees.)
A tenement in the parish of Saint Fagan (c. 1670.)
MAES-Y-BRYN (the field on the hill.) A homestead in the parish of
MAES-Y-DRE (the field of the homestead.) Three quarters of land
in the parish of Llandaff, the property of the Chapter (1609.)
MAES-Y-FELIN (the field of the mill.) A farm in the parish of
MAES-Y-LLECH (the field of the flat stone.) A farm a little west of
Radyr village (1796.)
MAES-YR-EGLWYS (the church field.) Close to Lisvane church,
containing three acres, parcel of the manor of Llystalybont
MAES-Y-SAESON (the field of the Saxons.) A tenement in the
parish of Peterston-super-Ely (1591.)
MALLOCK'S HOLD, Maelog's Fee. A small manor in the parish of
Rumney, under the lordship of Gwentllwg. It consisted, in
1610, of 40 acres of land and seven "coveries."
MARGERY'S LAND. In the lordship of Roath (1492.) Mr.
Corbett marks this as lying in three detatched portions; one
south-east of Broadway, on the north-west side of the South
Wales Railway; another on the other side of the line and a
little further north-east; and a third further south-east, just
north of the Splot.
MATTHEWS' BUILDINGS. A row of small connected dwellinghouses in New Town (1825.)
MELIN-FACH (Little Mill), also called Gibbon's Mill. A water gristmill in the parish of Pentyrch and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
MELINGRIFFITH, recte Melin Gruffydd (Griffith's mill.) A place
in the Taff Vale, at the foot of the Garth, about six miles north
of the town of Cardiff. Best known by the tin-plate works
which long flourished here.
MERCHES, The. A large piece of land on the West Moors,
immediately west of the Dumballs (J.S.C.)
MERRY HILL. A close containing forty-seven acres, on the Great
"MEWESLESE." Certain pasture land in the lordship of Roath
MIDDLE PINNAM, Pinion, or Pine-end, The. A burgage at the
south end of the middle row in Saint Mary Street. It was the
Vicarage of Saint Mary's parish. First found mentioned in 1542.
MIDDLE ROW. This name was applied to isolated blocks of houses
standing in the middle of a broad street, or rather, between
two narrow lanes. Thus " the Middle Row to Crockherbtown"
separated Smith Street and King Street. The principal Middle
Row was the one in Saint Mary Street. That which separated
Castle Street from Angel Street was the last one demolished,
MIDDLEWEIR. A fishery in the lordship of Leckwith (1492.)
MILKMAID'S BRIDGE, or Stone Bridge. Across the canal at the
Hayes. Demolished 1849.
MILL-GATE, "Myllegate." A thoroughfare in the town of Cardiff,
referred to in a Minister's Account of 1492. It was situate
close to the west wall of the town, near the Castle.
MILL-LAND ("Mullelond.") Four acres in the manor of Rumney,
referred to in a Minister's Account of 1402. There is still a
water-mill on the river, between Rumney and Llanedern.
MILL LANE. The street leading from the south end of Saint Mary
street in a north-easterly direction to the Hayes, along the
canal. So called from the Little Steam Mill which stood on
the north side of the lane. There was a tramway thence
across the lane to the canal (1860.)
MILLPARROCK, "Milleparrok." A parcel of land lying between
the two millstreams, just outside the west wall of Cardiff. It
is mentioned in a Minister's Account of 1492.
MILLSMEAD. Two acres of meadow in the lordship of Cogan
MILLSTREAM, The. Ran from the lord's mill, under the west wall
of Cardiff Castle, into the river Taff.
MILL STREET, "Mylstret." A place in or near Llandaff (1535.)
MISCYN (in English spelling "Miskin",) anciently Meisgyn. A
commote of Glamorgan, west and north of the Commote of
MONK-STONE, The. A big rock, with a beacon, off Lavernock
Point. It is forty feet above high-water mark.
MONMOUTHSHIRE, a county of Wales; on the right bank of
the Severn estuary, between Gloucestershire on the east and
Glamorgan on the west, and Herefordshire and Brecknockshire north. A Welsh name for Monmouthshire is Gwent
(q.v.), but it was originally applied to a wider territory, one of
the Cambro-British kingdoms. The county town is Monmouth;
which, though it is identified with the Roman Blestium, is
an Anglo-Norman burgh. The Romano-British capital of the
ancient Gwent was Caerleon, now a mere village, whose
commercial importance has been transferred to Newport. The
Welsh language was spoken in every parish of Monmouthshire
down to the early part of the 18th century, when it began
to recede westward from the Wye. During the latter half of
the 19th century it finally disappeared from the parishes
east of the river Usk, and, in this county, is now practically
confined to the Blaenau Gwent (the West Monmouthshire
hills) and the district between Newport and Cardiff. The local
dialect is the Gwenhwyseg. A subdivision of this dialect is
the Cerniweg (Cornish), closely akin to the extinct language of
the county of Cornwall; it is spoken in the neighbourhood of
Saint Mellon's. The modern notion that Monmouthshire is no
longer a part of Wales is a popular error (fn. 9) , founded on the
irrelevant fact that this county was annexed to the Oxford
Assize Circuit in the reign of Charles II.
"MON' PUPIT." This very curious and as yet unexplained placename is given, in a Minister's Account of 1537, to a tenement
in the lordship of Llystalybont. In a deed of 1516 it is called
"a builded tenement situate at Listallapont, commonly called
Puppit." In 1811 there was a toll-gate at Popett Lane, on the
high road leading from Caerphilly to Bedwas bridge.
MOOR GATE, The. The end of the road to the Cardiff Moors
MOOR HENGE, The. A fishery on the sea shore in the lordship of
"MOREWLESE." A close of meadow land in the lordship of Cardiff
and Roath, referred to in a Minister's Account of 1392.
MORFA-BACH (the little marsh.) A close in the parish of Llandaff
(1756.) In 1612 "the Morva Bagh by Ely, on the other side
of the water," was found to be concealed land and was demised
to Oliver Robotham.
MORGAN'S FARM. An old thatched farmhouse in the parish of
MORGANSTOWN. A cluster of workmen's dwellings on the west
side of the river Taff, south of the Garth mountain.
MORGANWG. The Welsh name for the county of Glamorgan, and
anciently for the united Cambro-British kingdoms of Glamorgan
and Gwent. The earliest known form is Morcantuc. The
etymology is similar to that of Glamorgan (q.v.), and -wg is a
frequent territorial suffix.
MOUNT, The. An old house standing end-on to the east side of the
Heath Road, near the Wedal Farm.
MUCHEL HETH (The Great Heath.) The name given to the
Mynydd Bychan in the municipal charter of 1340.
MYNACHDY (less correctly Monachty), "the monastery." An old
farmhouse in the manor of Llandaff and chapelry of Whitchurch,
on the site of a pre-Norman religious foundation, the history
whereof is lost but of which a memory is preserved in the Latin
name for Whitchurch, viz., Album Monasterium, "the white
minster." Mynachdy Bach is the name of a smaller holding, a
thatched house with extensive out-buildings, a little west of
Mynachdy and on the other side of the T.V.R. line.
MYNACHLOG (the monastery.) An ancient ecclesiastical building
the site of which is indicated by some mounds at Ely Racecourse (1893.) The late John Storrie unearthed many Roman
remains at this spot.