S - Z
SAINT DAVID STREET, or, commonly, David Street, constructed
circa 1830, on the old southern outskirts of the town, bordering
the Docks. So called from the Catholic church of Saint David,
which, since the erection of its successor in Charles Street,
has been converted into a hall.
SAINT FAGAN'S. Llansanffagan (the church of Saint Ffagan.)
A village and parish four miles north-west from Cardiff, in the
Hundred of Dinas-Powys. Its name is derived from an
ancient oratory or chapel (the foundations whereof remain in
the Castle grounds) dedicated in honour of this saint; who,
according to the early Welsh traditions, was an Italian
missionary sent by Pope Saint Eleutherius to preach the
Gospel to the clansmen of Lleurwg, the British regulus of
Gwent, in the year 140. (Vide Saint Mellon's.) The tradition
receives confirmation from the Roman Liber Pontificalis. It is
noteworthy that this venerable oratory is the only old church
in the world dedicated to Saint Ffagan.
SAINT JOHN STREET. This name was formerly applied to what
is now called Church Street; which anciently extended eastward to the north end of Working Street. This eastern
portion was called sometimes Vicarage Street—now Saint
John's Square, south side.
SAINT MARY STREET. This, in conjunction with High Street, is
still, as it has been from time immemorial, the main street of
Cardiff town; although of late years the tide of commerce has
shifted some of its importance to Queen Street. It takes its
name from the long-vanished premier parish church of Saint
Mary, the site of which is on the west side of this street.
SAINT MARY STREET, Llandaff. One of the original streets of
of the city. It leads from the Green westwards to the high road.
SAINT MELLON'S. In Welsh Llanlleurwg, "the church of Saint
Lucius." A village and parish 4½ miles east from Cardiff, in
the Hundred of Gwentllwg, Monmouthshire. The Welsh
name of this place is derived from that of the native British
under-king of Gwent who, according to the early Welsh
traditions, induced Pope Saint Eleutherius, in the year 140, to
send to his kingdom Christian missionaries; and who, having
himself embraced the Faith, died a martyr in exile on the
Continent. (His relics are venerated in the cathedral of Coire,
Switzerland.) The missionaries sent in compliance with his
request were Saints Ffagan, Dyfan, Elfan and Medwyn, each of
whom has his one solitary dedication in the parish churches
of Saint Fagan, Merthyr-Dyfan, Aberdare and Llanfedw,
Glamorgan. When the Normans had achieved their conquest
of Morganwg, they superseded the ancient dedication of this
parish by that of their own Saint Melo, the apostle and first
Bishop of Rouen. Curiously enough, (whether they knew
it or not) they were choosing the name of a Briton of
this locality—Saint Mellon having been born at the town of
Cardiff, as the writer of his life and legends records. (fn. 1) Saint
Mellon's is the head village of an interesting district; the
dialect of Welsh spoken here is called Cerniwaeg ("Cornish"),
and is closely allied to the extinct British tongue of Cornwall. (fn. 2)
SAINT'S WELL, "Saint Wall." In the parish of Caerau, southwest of the parish church.
ST-Y-NYLL. A little manor of the Mathew family, north-west of
SAITH-ERW-CLAWR-Y-MORFA (the seven acres of the surface of
the marsh.) A piece of land on the shore of the East
SAITH-ERW'R-GLWYD (the seven acres of the hurdle.) Land on
the Splot (1764.) J.S.C.
SAITH-ERW-Y-DEON (the seven acres of the dean.) Land in the
lordship of Roath-Keynsham, bordering on the south-west of
Pengam, to which it belonged (1702.)
SALT MARSH, The. The land between the G.W.R. station and
Penarth Road. On the other side of the road is the Dumballs
(1818.) It was probably identical with the Salt Mead or
"Saltmede" named in the Valor Ecclesiasticus, 1535, as situate
near Canton, and marked by Mr. Corbett as on the south side
of the South Wales main railway line, south of Taff Mead, in
the curve of the branch line to Penarth.
"SAMMELISWERE." A weir which formed one of the boundaries
of Cogan Moor (c. 1290.)
SARN-Y-CAUNANT (the causeway of the hollow brook.) A place
on the highway leading from Lisvane to Machen (1735.)
SEA FURLONG, Great and Little. Two parcels of land measuring
36 acres and half an acre respectively, in the marshlands of the
lordship of Roath (1492.)
SEA-LAND, "Selond." The name given to the flat land along the
Severn shore in the lordship of Rumney, in a Minister's
Account of 1402.
SENDALL HILL. A place in the lordship of Roath, referred to in a
Minister's Account of 1542. John Shendyll's widow had
a demise of a close near the Heath, in the same lordship, that
SENGHENYDD (Saint Cenydd.) A commote of Glamorgan, to the
north of Cibwr. It is divided into two portions, Higher and
"SEVOURNEHYLL." A croft in the lordship of Roath (1492.)
The Account of 1542 calls it "Sebronhyll, otherwise Thomas
Thomas' Close," and states that it contained three acres. The
name may mean Severn Hill or, more probably, Saffron Hill.
SHEPHERD'S HALL. A farm in the parish of Llanishen.
SHIREHALL, The. The lord's court of justice, in the outer bailey
of Cardiff Castle. It is figured in Speed's map of 1610.
SHOTTESCROFT, Scottcroft. Two acres of meadow in the lordship
of Roath (1492.) Mr. Corbett marks this as lying on the south
side of Kechcroft, just east of Pengam farmhouse.
SHRIMP HOUSE, The. A lonely hut on the shore near the Docks.
Edward Stelfox, fisherman, was shot in this house in 1876.
SILENT POOL. A deep place in the river Rhymny, immediately
north of Lanrumney Hall.
"SKALLEHOUSE," The (1618.) The Gallhouse (1715.)
SMALE CLOSE. A field belonging to the Treasurer's Manor of
SMALLMEAD, "Smalemede." A meadow in the lordship of
SMALLWALL. A place in the lordship of Roath, mentioned in a
Minister's Account of 1492.
SMITH STREET. The main street in the eastern part of Cardiff
town. It ran from the end of Duke Street eastward to the
East Gate. The name was probably taken from a smith's forge
near that gate. In the 18th century it was sometimes called
SOKESHAY, "Sokshey" (the enclosure of the manorial court.) A
place in Cardiff burgh, named in a Minister's Account of 1492.
SOPHIA GARDENS, The. That portion of the grounds of Cardiff
Castle lying on the west bank of the river Taff, north-west of
Cardiff Bridge. In 1875 they were thrown open to the public,
at the desire of Sophia, late Marchioness of Bute. The fields
lying to the north of these gardens are known as the Sophia
Gardens Fields, and are used for such public displays as the
SOUDREY, Sowdrie, Southrew. ("The South Town," or "Sutton.")
The ancient southern suburb of Cardiff, just outside the South
Gate. It extended from the Dumballs on the west, along
Whitmoor Lane to Bute Street on the east (1600, 1862.)
Many tenements here were accounted parcel of the manor of
Llystalybont (1715.) It was at one time the fashion to spell
the name Sawdry, probably because Thomas' saw-mills stood
SOURLAND, "Sourelond." Two quarters of land in the lordship of
Roath, referred to in a Minister's Account of 1492.
SOUTHGATE FIELD. Another name for the Kennel.
SOUTH LAYLAND, "Southleylonde." Eight and a half acres in the
lordship of Roath (1492.)
SPIREMEAD (the bull-rush meadow.) In the lordship of Roath
(1492.) A document of 1542 refers to it as three acres
lying in Rothesmoor.
SPITAL, Spittal, The. A hospital, largely endowed with surrounding
lands and tenements, at the east end of Crockherbtown. It
probably belonged to the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, or
Knights Hospitallers, and, on the suppression of religious
houses, was sold to a private individual. A thatched cottage
here, called by the same name, occupied the original site until
1884, when it was replaced by a row of shops named Spital
Buildings. A little to the east-north-east, on the opposite side
of Newport Road, stood the Spital Barn.
SPITAL CLOSE. A field of 3½ acres near the Spital (1550.)
Probably the land on which stood the Spital Barn.
SPITAL LANE or Court. A "passage" leading to the Spital,
mentioned in a Minister's Account of 1550.
SPLOT, The. A small tract of land on the moors by the Severn
shore, between the mouths of the rivers Taff and Rhymny, in
the parish of Roath. The name is derived from "splat," Welsh
ysblad, a flat land. The Splot formed an outlying part of the
Commote of Llandaff (Leland,) and of the Manor of Llandaff,
to which it was a subsidiary Lordship. It was divided into
two farms, the Upper and the Lower Splot, the buildings
whereof are still standing. The Upper Splot is situate a little
south-east of Longcross. In the sixties of the 19th century,
this farm-house stood out in the country, all alone save for a
barn opposite. The house became the Great Eastern Hotel,
and the barn is now replaced by the Metal Street School.
The Lower Splot is nearer the Severn, by Adamsdown and
Portmanmoor. The Splot, from which these farms and the
modern district of Splotlands take their names, is a strip of
tidal marsh between Portmanmoor and the sea.
"SPODOMESLONDE." In the lordship of Roath. It consisted of
12 acres, half a rood, and 12 small pieces of land (1492.) In a
Minister's Account of 1542 it is referred to as "16 acres of
demesne land, one rood, with one ditch, formerly of Adam
Spoudere." Perhaps it should read "Spodoureslonde."
SPRING COTTAGE. An old messuage, now divided into separate
tenements, on the south side of Albany Road, a little east of
SPRING GARDENS. A piece of land on the south side of Crockherbtown, adjoining the Spital land on the west (1740, 1804.)
Spring Gardens Court perpetuates the name.
STAIRS, The. A sand-bank at Lower Penarth.
STEEP HOLM, The. A small uninhabited island in the Bristol
Channel, midway between the shores of Somersetshire and
Glamorgan, but counted as part of the former county.
STEPASIDE. A small house and two acres of land on the east side
of Cathays Park, near the Dobbin Pits (1729, 1786, 1803,
1814.) I suppose this was the property consisting of "decayed
dwellinghouses," near Biggs' Brewery in Salisbury Road,
which Mr. L. C. Williams purchased from the Corporation
some years ago.
STOCKLAND. A farm in the parish of Saint Fagan.
STOGESCROFT. A field in the lordship of Roath (1440.)
STONE BRIDGE, The Little. The small bridge of masonry by
which West Street was carried across the Mill Leat, or Tan
River, close to Cardiff Castle. This bridge is shewn in
Speed's map, 1610, and in Buck's view, 1748. Until Cardiff
Bridge was built of masonry, at the end of the 18th century,
the other was known as "the Stone Bridge," simply to
distinguish it from the wooden one which spanned the Taff
SUDCROFT (South Croft.) Land held under the fee of Canton,
SUMMERHOUSE GARDEN. In Working Street (1793.)
SUNDERLAND BRIDGE. Over the Taff (1821.)
SUTTON ("the south town.") A homestead between Penarth and
Lavernock. As early as 1698 it bore its present name,
SWELDON. An ancient manor-house, now a farm-house, in the
parish of Caerau. In the reign of Henry VIII., and long after,
it was held by a cadet branch of the family of Mathew of
Llandaff. Sweldon was a sub-manor to Llandaff.
TADEMOR. Arable land in the lordship of Cardiff and Roath,
referred to in a Minister's Account of 1392.
TAFF. Welsh Taf. One of the principal rivers of South Wales,
which, rising amid the mountains of South Brecknockshire,
flows through the county of Glamorgan and discharges into the
Bristol Channel at Cardiff. The earliest known form is Tâm
—a pre-Aryan word, like so many river-names, and akin to a
host of others, such as Tamar and Thames (French Tamise,
Italian Tamigia.) The river Taff seems to have also been
known by a second pre-Aryan name Tib. (Vide Roath et
Cardiff.) There is a river Taff in Pembrokeshire also. The
characteristics of the chief river in Glamorgan are happily
described by "Cadrawd" in the rhyme:—
Mae'r Taf yn afon rhwysgus,
Mae'r Taf yn dra pheryglus;
Taf a ddygodd fywyd cant,
Mae'n llifo pant ychrydus.
(The Taff is a restive river, the Taff is very perilous; Taff has
taken away the life of a hundred, she saws a horrid chasm.)
TAFF MEAD. A piece of land, formerly pasture but recently built
upon, lying in Saint Mary's parish, west of the Taff and
bounded by Clare Road, Grangetown. (Minutes of Health
Committee, 6 December 1898.) That it was land common
to the burgesses seems likely from the fact that the parish
church of Saint Mary owned a portion of it (6 acres) in 1550.
It is named in a document of 1762. Mr. J. S. Corbett's map
shows Taff Mead as lying immediately south of Cardiff Green,
between that and the Great Western Railway.
TAFF'S WELL. A medicinal bathing-place in the bed of the river
Taff, in the parish of Eglwysilan.
TAI-COCHION, "Red Houses." Latterly called rather by the
English name. A rambling house divided into tenements and
afterwards known as Roath Workhouse. It stood north of
Albany Road, near the Pen-y-lan Road. Demolished 1899. (fn. 3)
TAI-MAWR (great houses.) A tenement in the parish of Lisvane.
TAI-TY-COCH (the houses by the red house.) A free tenement of
lands in the parish of Llanedern, held of the lordship of RoathKeynsham (1702.)
TAIR-ERW-GEY. A piece of land on the shore of the East Moor
TAIR-ERW-HEOL-Y-COED (the three acres of the lane in the
wood.) Land in the hamlet of Ely (1719.)
TAIR-ERW-MELYN (the three yellow acres.) A piece of land on
the shore of the East Moor (1764.) J.S.C.
TAIR-ERW-PENFAIN (?the three slender-ended acres.) Three
acres on the shore of the East Moor (1764.) J.S.C.
TAIR ERW'R WALL. Three acres of customary lands in the
manor and parish of Rumney (1703, 1775.)
TAIR-ERW-YSTOCYN (? the three acres of the stump.) Fields in
the parish of Llantrisant (1655)
TAN RIVER, The; the Tanyard Brook. A stream which ran into
the river Taff just below the Quay. So called from the tanyard which stood immediately west of the Castle (1715, 1766,
1858.) The Tan House, mentioned in 1714, was demolished
TEMPERANCE TOWN. The nearest south-western suburb of
Cardiff, built in 1864, by Jacob Mathews, on land in the
bend of the old river-course, after the river's diversion. The
land was sold to Mr. Mathews by Colonel Wood. It lies west
of Saint Mary Street, north of the G.W.R., south of Cardiff
Arms Park, and east of the present course of the Taff. Wood
Street bisects it. The site of Temperance Town was once a
field on the west side of the Taff. The diversion of the river
brought the field to the east side, and it was then built on.
TEN ACRES, The (Welsh, y deg erw.) A tenement in the parish of
Saint Fagan and lordship of Miscyn, part of Cefn-y-gwyndon
(1666.) Also a piece of land at Adamsdown, near the Gaol
TENANT'S MEAD. A field of 12 acres of pasture land, parcel of
the West Moor in the lordship of Roath Dogfield (c. 1560.)
THORN HILL, Thorntree Hill. A prominence on the Cefn range,
due north of Cardiff.
THREE QUARTERS, The. A small field (probably three quarters
of an acre in extent) at the end of Love Lane (1818.)
"THYNOG FAWR, Y"; "yrythynog vawr." An acre of land in the
parish of Lisvane and manor of Llystalybont (1653.)
TINKWOOD colliery, between Pentyrch and Llantrisant (1792.)
TIR-BACH (the little land.) At Penarth (1730.)
TIR-BERTH-Y-LAN, "Tireberthelane" (the land by the hedge on
the hill.) Three acres of demesne land in the lordship of
TIR-CALANMAI, "Tire Clanamit" (the Mayday land.) Nineteen
acres of demesne land in the lordship of Whitchurch (1492.)
TIR-CALED (the hard land.) A free tenement in the parish of
Roath and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.) A ruined house
and land named in the Heath Enclosure Award of 1809. In
1840 it was called Coed Tir Caled, hard-land wood.
TIR-CEFN-COLSTIN. A tenement in the manor of Pentyrch
TIR-CEFN-Y-GELYNEN (the land on the ridge of the holly-tree.)
A tenement in the manor of Pentyrch (c. 1670.)
TIR-CRWN (the round land.) A tenement in the manor of Pentyrch
TIR-DAIO-WIL (David William's land.) In Llanedern parish (1702.)
TIR-ELBOD (Elbod's land.) A free tenement in the parish of Roath
and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.) Elbod, or Elfod, is
the name of a saint of the British Church, the first Bishop of
Bangor, in the 8th century.
TIR-GELYNOG (the holly land.) A tenement in the parish of
Llantrisant and lordship of Pentyrch and Clun (c. 1670.)
TIR-GOLEU (the land of light.) Ten acres at Canton belonging to
the Chapter of Llandaff (1666.)
TIR-GRONO-Y-LLYGAD (the land of Grono at the spring.) In the
parish of Llanfedw and lordship of Senghenydd, bordering on
TIR-GRUFFYDD-GAM (the land of Griffith the one-eyed.) A
tenement in the manor of Pentyrch (c. 1670.)
TIR-GRUFFYDD-GIBWN (Griffith Gibbon's land.) A tenement in
the parish of Saint Fagan and lordship of Miscyn (1666),
named after a member of the ancient Norman-Welsh family
which formerly possessed Saint Fagan's Castle.
TIR-HWNT (the yonder land.) A farm in the parish of Llanishen.
TIR-HYWEL, "Tir Howell" (the land of Hoel.) A tenement in the
parish of Saint Fagan and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
TIR-IARLL (the earl's land.) Near Lisvane (1653.)
TIR-MEURIC-Y-BONAU (Meuric's land of the stumps.) A tenement
in the parish of Saint Fagan and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
TIR-MORGAN-HEN (the land of Morgan the Elder.) A tenement
in the parish of Saint Fagan, manor of Pentyrch and Clun
(c. 1670.) Morgan Hen is the name of one of the Kings of
TIR-NEWYDD (the new land.) Seventy-three acres on the Splot
TIR-PENLLYN, "Tyere Penellyne" (the land at the head of the
lake.) Ten acres in the parish of Llandaff (c. 1560.)
TIR-PEN-Y-GARN (the land at the end of the mound.) A tenement
in the manor of Pentyrch (c. 1670.)
TIR-SUSAN (Susan's land.) Two acres and a rood on the shore of
the East Moor (1764.) J.S.C.
TIR-WINCH. A tenement in the parish of Whitchurch, on the west
side of the Caerphilly Road.
TIR-Y-BEILI, "Tirebailly" (the steward's land.) Twelve acres of
demesne land in the lordship of Whitchurch (1492.) Also a
farm in the parish of Lisvane.
TIR-Y-BLEWYN (the land of the blade of grass, or of the single
hair.) A farm in the parish of Llanishen.
TIR-Y-CEILIOG (the cock's land.) Cock's Ground. A small
messuage and tenement near Crwys-bychan, on the Heath,
1801; now taken into the Cardiff Cemetery.
TIR-Y-COED (the land of the trees.) Sixteen acres belonging to the
Chapter of Llandaff (1747.)
TIR-Y-COES (the land of the leg.) Freehold in the parish of Roath
and manor of Roath-Keynsham (1702.)
TIR-Y-CUTLER (the cutler's land.) A free tenement in the
Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff (1535.)
TIR-Y-CWNINGEN, "Tireconynger" (the coney land.) Forty-one
acres in the demesne land of the lordship of Whitchurch (1492.)
TIR-Y-FFORDD-LAS (the land of the green road.) In the parish of
TIR-Y-MAERDY (the land of the steward's house.) A copyhold
tenement in the manor of Llystalybont (1673.)
TIR-Y-MAES-MAWR (the land of the big field.) A tenement in the
parish of Pentyrch and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
TIR-Y-MUD (the mute's land.) In the Parish of Llanishen (1702.)
TIR-Y-POLYN. A tenement in the manor of Pentyrch (c. 1670.)
TIR-Y-SAITH-ERW (the land of the seven acres.) In Whitchurch
TIR-Y-TON-LLWYD (the land of the grey layland.) A tenement in
the parish of Saint Fagan and lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
TIR-Y-TY-GWYN (the land of the white house.) In the parish of
Roath, near Pont-Lleici. A freehold tenement of the manor of
TIR-Y-WAUN-LLWYD (the land of the grey meadow.) Six acres
in the parish of Llanishen (1704.)
TIR-Y-WHIT. Forty acres in the parish of Llanishen (1704.)
TIR-Y-WIL. A piece of land adjoining the northern boundary of
TIRECROFT. Five acres of demesne land in the lordship of
"TIREVEYNE." Three acres in the demesne land of the lordship of
TOM JOHN'S HOUSE. A rambling old thatched tenement in the
parish of Whitchurch, on the west side of the Caerphilly Road.
TON-MAWR (the great layland.) A free tenement in the manor of
TON-GWYNLAS, "the green layland," i.e., grassy fallow land. A
township six miles north of Cardiff, on the Merthyr road, in
the chapelry of Whitchurch, parish of Llandaff.
TON-YR-YWEN (the yew-tree layland.) A farmhouse on the east
side of the Llanishen Road, at the third milestone north from
Cardiff, on the Heath.
"TORCOTEFELD." (fn. 4) A piece of land in the farm of the grange in the
lordship of Leckwith (1492.)
"TORECOTESHOKES." Pasture land in the lordship of Leckwith
TOWN HOUSE, The. A building which belonged to the burgesses.
It stood near the High Cross, on the south side of the
Guildhall, and figures in Speed's map of 1610.
TOWN MILLS, The. One of the two water grist-mills under the
west wall of Cardiff Castle (1492.)
TOWNFIELD, The. A piece of common land, belonging to the
burgesses in certain shares. One piece of it was the property
of the parish church of Saint John (1550.) The Survey of 1666
speaks of the Town Land, in the West Ward, whereon a certain
house was built. The burgage rent of this house was unknown.
"TRANE." A hamlet in the parish of Llantrisant (1799.)
TREASURER'S ACRES. Meadow land on Ely Moor, belonging to
the Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff, and divided into Treasurer's
White Acre and Treasurer's Black Acre, in the parish of
TREDELERCH (the homestead of swans.) The Welsh name for
the village and parish of Rhymny or Rumney. The d in this
word possesses philological interest, being an intrusive consonant which appears also in late Cornish—a language to
which Gwentian Welsh is closely akin. (fn. 5)
TREODA (the abode of Oda, or Odyn.) An ancient messuage in the
village of Whitchurch, immediately north of the remains of
Whitchurch Castle. In the Middle Ages it was the home of a
Welsh chieftain and his descendants.
TREFEURIG (the habitation of Meuric.) An ancient mansion, long
the seat of the Bevan family, in the parish of Llantrisant.
TREGOCHES. A free tenement in the parish of Saint Fagan
TREGYRNOG (the habitation of Curnock, or the horned habitation.)
A farm in the parish of Saint Fagan.
TRERAIG. A farm in the parish of Llantrisant (1811.)
"TREVENNETH." A tenement in the parish of Llantrisant (1547.)
TREWERN (the habitation among the alder-trees.) A farm in the
chapelry of Llanilltern.
TRI-CHWARTER-CAERDYDD (the Cardiff three-quarters of an
acre.) A piece of land on the shore of the East Moor (1764.)
TRINITY BREWYN. The land between Saint John's Churchyard
and the Hayes, belonging to the Guild of the Holy Trinity
(1542.) Perhaps identical with the Trinity Ground named in
the same document as the above.
TRINITY STREET. The thoroughfare which borders Saint John's
churchyard on the west and leads from the east end of Church
Street to the Hayes. It was sometimes styled Saint John
Street, and Vicarage Street. The name of Trinity Street is
derived from the Trinity Garden, which, occupied the north
end of the Hayes (1821.)
TRISTYPE. A parcel of land in the lordship of Whitchurch, held
with the fulling mill in 1492.
TROCKER'S ACRE. An acre of land near Adamsdown, in the
lordship of Roath (1542.)
TROWBRIDGE BACH (Little Trowbridge.) A farm in the parish
TUCK'S LANDS. Held with the Wedal (1637.)
TUMBLING CLOSE, The. A field just outside the east wall of the
town, by the canal and Hayes bridge. Bridge Street was
made out of it in 1825.
TUMP, The. In Welsh, Y Twyn. A piece of rough grass-land at
Penarth, on which football used to be played about the middle
of the 19th century.
TUNNEL, The. Where the Glamorganshire Canal (formerly the
town moat) passes under Queen Street, at the site of Crockherbtown Gate.
TWYN-Y-GLISON. A dwellinghouse in the parish of Llandaff.
TY-BAL (prominent house.) In the parish of Rumney, north of the
TY-CELYN-GENOL (the middle holly house.) A tenement in the
parish of Llanishen.
TY-CLYD (sheltered house.) In the parish of Whitchurch, a
little north of Velindre (1886.)
TY-COCH (red house.) A farm between Ely and Caerau. Also an
ancient building opposite Cardiff Castle, later the Cardiff
TY-COLY (Culley's house.) A farm on the south-east slope of
Pen-y-lan. The Heath Enclosure Award of 1809 incorrectly
spells the name "Tir-y-Colly."
TY-CRWCA (crooked house.) In the parish of Llanedern, south of
TY-CRWN (bent house), or Ty-crwn (round house), a farm in Roath
and Llanedern. The Heath Enclosure Award of 1809
incorrectly spells the name "Tir-y-Crom."
TY-CRWM (the yonder house.) A thatched house in the parish of
Roath, on the east side of Roath Park. Also a house in the
hamlet of Fairwater (1710.)
TY-DU, "Tir y ddy" (black house.) In the parish of Rumney
TY-FRY (upper house.) A small messuage in the parish of Rumney,
north-east of the village.
TY-GWYN (white house.) A house and land bounded east and
north by the grounds of Pen-y-lan House, and south by
Cefn-coed Lane (Heath Enclosure Award, 1809.) Also the
original name of Pen-y-lan farm, now the Convent of the
Good Shepherd, on the southern slope of Pen-y-lan (See also
TY-GWYRDD (green house) A small old house in the parish of
Llanishen, near the north end of Roath Park.
TYLE-MORUS (Morris' loft, or acclivity.) A place in the parish of
TYLLGOED (the holed trees.) The Welsh name for Fairwater
hamlet, in the parish of Llandaff.
TY-LLWYD, "Tyrlloyed" (grey house.) In the parish of Rumney
or Llanedern (1731.) A farm in Lisvane.
TY-MAWR (the great house) The name of one of the more
important dwelling-houses in nearly every parish of Wales.
It is an alternative name of Llys-du (q.v.), Roath. Ty-mawr,
near Rumney church, is a large farmhouse of the 16th
century, with mullioned windows. It was the manor-house.
TY-MELYN (yellow house.) A farm in the parish of Llanedern.
TY'N-Y-BERLLAN (the house in the orchard.) A tenement in the
parish of Lisvane.
TY'N-Y-CAE (the house in the close.) A house halfway between
Whitchurch village and Rhyd-waedlyd.
TY'N-Y-CAEAU (the house in the closes.) A farm in the chapelry
TY'N-Y-COED (house in the wood.) A farmhouse which stood
a little north of Albany Road, in the parish of Roath. It was
demolished 1895, but the name is preserved by Ty'n-y-coed
Place, close to the site of the house.
TY'N-Y-FFYNON (the house by the well, or the tenement of the
well.) A farm in the parish of Llanedern.
TY'N-Y-FRO (the house in the cultivated region.) A farm in the
chapelry of Whitchurch
TY'N-Y-NANT (the house in the vale, or the tenement of the brook.)
A farm in the parish of Pentyrch, towards Llantrisant (1792.)
TY'N-Y-WAUN (the house in the meadow.) In the parish of
TY'N-Y-WERN (the house among the alder-trees, or the tenement of
alder-trees.) A farm in the parish of Llanedern.
TY-PANT-YR-YWEN (the house in the yew-tree hollow.) A small
house in Whitchurch, east of the village.
TY-PICA (the peaked house.) A house and garden in the parish of
Llandaff, belonging to the Chapter (1692.)
TY-PROSSER (Prosser's house.) A cottage on the Heath (1886.)
TY-RHOS-LLWYN (the house of the rose-bush.) The Welsh name
of 174 Newport Road, in the parish of Roath. This,
which is the private residence of the Town Clerk, Mr. J. L.
Wheatley, was built in 1877 on that part of the lands of the
Island Farm which was occupied by the Roath village smithy.
TY-TO-MAEN (the house with the stone roof. (fn. 6) ) A farm in the parish
of Llanedern. Also a large dwellinghouse standing in its own
grounds in the parish of Saint Mellon.
TY-TO-MAWR (the house with the big roof.) A farm in the parish
TY-Y-CAPEL (the chapel house), also called Tir Capel, Chapel Land.
An ancient chapel transformed into a cottage, at Coed-y-gores
in the parish of Llanedern. It is probably the Llanforda
("Lambordan") of ancient records. A burial-ground annexed
to the chapel is now the orchard of the cottage.
TY-Y-CWN (the dogs' house.) Also, but incorrectly, called Ty-yn-ycwm, the house in the valley, though the valley is non-existent.
The real name probably indicates that the lord's hounds were
kept here. Cf. Ty-y-cyw. Ty-y-cwn was a small but solidlybuilt cottage, having a thatched roof and a mullioned window
with stone frame, joist and hood-moulding—apparently dating
from the 16th century. (fn. 7) It was situate on the the north side of
Albany Road, a little east from the end of Pen-y-lan Road. It
was demolished 1898.
TY-Y-CYW, "Tyr Cue." A small farm-house on the south-eastern
side of Pen-y-lan, in the parish of Roath. The name means
"the chicks' house," but perhaps originally signified "the
whelps' house" (1731.) Not far south is Ty-y-cwn (q.v.)
TY-YN-Y-PARC (the house in the park.) A farm in Whitchurch
(1810.) On the south side of the road from Whitchurch
village to Ton-yr-ywen.
TY-YN-Y-PWLL (the house in the pool.) A farm in Whitchurch,
on the east side of the Merthyr Road.
TY-YN-YR-ARDD (the house in the garden.) In Crockherbtown,
at the north-east corner of Charles Street. There is a rather
large garden at the back, on the east side of Charles Street,
but the house was long since made into a shop. The hounds
used to meet in front of this house sixty years ago.
TY'R-BONT (the house by the bridge.) An old tenement on the west
bank of the Nant-waedlyd, Whitchurch village, where that brook
is crossed by a low stone bridge and a plank-and-rail footbridge.
"TYR COIDEGAN" (? Tir Cadwgan, Cadogan's land.) On the south
side of Cefn-Mabli park, parcel of the manor of RoathKeynsham (1702.)
"TYR CWMBERCH." Lands in the lordship of Roath-Keynsham
TY-YR-YNYS (the house on the marsh-island.) On the east bank of
the Dulas brook, in the parish of Llanedern, south of the
UNION BUILDINGS. A row of tenements, with a court, off the
north side of Barry Lane, parallel with Baker's Row.
Demolished circa 1899.
VELINDRE, Y Felindre (the mill hamlet), often inaccurately spelt
"Velindra." A copyhold tenement consisting of a house and
garden in the manor of Llystalybont and parish of Llanishen.
In 1700 it was devised by Gabriel Lewis. In 1902 it was
purchased from the Booker family by the Corporation, for the
purposes of an Asylum.
VIA JULIA MARITllMA (The Julian Maritime Way.) This is
the Latin name given to the military road constructed
c. A.D. 75 by the Roman general, Julius Frontinus, from
Gloucester to Neath, for the purpose of facilitating
operations against the Silures and other tribes of South Wales.
This Roman road still exists. In some places it retains its
ancient character, the modern road deviating from the old
course in order to avoid a steep hill. At other parts of the
route the present highway covers the ancient road. In relation
to Cardiff, the Via Julia is represented by the Newport Road,
Crockherbtown, Queen Street, Duke Street, Castle Street,
Cardiff Bridge, and the Cowbridge Road. The original course,
however, enters the Borough further north than the Newport
Road, traces of it being discernible between Pen-y-lan and
Llanedern. In the Middle Ages the Via Julia was known as
the Portway, because it connected the burghs. In Welsh this
word became Pwrtwe—in composition "Y Bwrtwe."
VICARAGE GARDEN, The. A Town Plan of 1850 shews this as
occupying the northern and wider end of the now open space
at the Hayes, just opposite the south front of the Library. It
seems to be identical with the Trinity Garden.
VICARAGE STREET. The name given to the eastern portion of
Saint John Street, or Church Street, previous to about 1850,
when the middle row in what is now Saint John Square existed.
It was so called from the old Vicarage, which adjoined the
north-east corner of the church and was demolished 1873.
VICTORIA PLACE. The southward continuation of Trinity Street
to the Hayes. The name fell into disuse when the block of
houses which stood on the site of the Trinity Garden was
demolished, circa 1890.
"WALSCHMENHULL" (Welshmen's hill.) In the lordship of Roath.
Named in a Minister's Account of 1392. It is perhaps to be
identified with Pen-y-lan.
WARDROBE LEAS, "Wardropelees." Meadows "at the forks"
in the lordship of Roath, occupied in 1492 by the Gatekeeper of Cardiff Castle.
WARTH, The. A name, recorded as early as 1314, for the flat lands
along the Severn shore, in the lordship of Gwentllwg, between
Cardiff and Newport. The word may be either of British or
WASTE LANE. The name formerly given to the northern portion
of Working Street (1794.)
WATERHALL. A farm-house on the west side of the highway from
Fairwater to Radyr (1886)
WATERLANE. A place on the demesne of the lordship of Whitchurch (1492.)
WATERLEADER'S CROFT or Mead. A meadow in the lordship
of Roath (1492.) It was destroyed by a flood in that year.
There was a family surnamed Waterleader, in whom that office
WATTRELL, The. A homestead in the parish of Radyr (1702.)
WAUN-FAWR, Y (the great meadow.) In the parishes of Roath
and Llanedern, holden of the manor of Roath-Keynsham at a
chief rent (1702.)
WAUN-GRON, Y (the round meadow.) A piece of waste land,
measuring 2a. 2r. 7p., in the manor of Llandaff.
WAUN-WYLLT, Y (the wild meadow.) In the parish of Llandaff,
belonging to the Chapter (1721.)
WEAVER'S COT, The. In Roath village; bounded on the north
by the Newport Road (1809.)
WEBCROFT. A close of pasture in the lordship of Roath (1492.)
WEDAL, The. A brook which rises on Cardiff Heath and flows into
the Nant-mawr near Fairoak. The name is perhaps the local
form of waedol, "bloody," in allusion to the battle of Cardiff
Heath, fought near its source, between the Welsh and the
WEDAL-ISAF, Y (the Lower Wedal.) A farm on the Wedal brook,
a little south of Wedal Uchaf, and just within the northern
boundary of Cardiff Borough. It has lately been taken in to
enlarge the Cemetery, but was formerly part of the KemeysTynte estate.
WEDAL-UCHAF, Y (The Upper Wedal.) A farm on the Wedal
brook, at the north end of Cardiff Cemetery and east of the
new road to Llanishen. It is in the parish of Llandaff and
manor of Roath-Keynsham, and is bounded north and west
by the Great Heath (1637.)
WEIGH HOUSE, The. An ancient messuage on the south side of
Queen Street, immediately west of the site of the East Gate.
It is built on part of the Town Wall, and in a late Rental of the
Corporation is termed "The Old Queen Street Weighbridge
Office." Here, until of late years, waggons of coal, hay, &c.,
were weighed in the street.
WEIR COTTAGES. An old thatched tenement at Llandaff Weir,
on the east bank of the Taff, near Cyfarchfa.
WERN-GOCH (the red alders.) A wood in the parish of Llanedern,
south of the village and north-west of Coed-y-gores.
"WERNE GROVE," probably either Wern-y-groes (the alder-trees
by the cross,) or Y Waun Gron (the round meadow.) Also
called the Treasurer's Close. A field in the Treasurer's
Manor of Llandaff (1649.)
"WERYNGTROWES." A place in the lordship of Roath (1440.)
WEST MOOR, The. A farm of pasture containing 2000 acres, in
the lordship of Roath-Dogfield (c. 1560.) Mr. Corbett's
annotated map shews it as being the site of the Bute Docks.
WEST STREET. The principal westward thoroughfare, continuing
from Angel Street to the West Gate, between the Castle and
the river Taff. It was taken into the Castle Grounds in 1805,
and its houses demolished.
WEST WHARF. The land along the west side of the Glamorganshire Canal, south of Saint Mary Street. The old houses here
were reckoned in Soudrey; and at this place were the wharves
and sheds of the old ironmasters, which still remain, though
dismantled and ruinous.
WESTERWEIR, Westweir, The. A weir near the sea-shore in the
lordship of Roath (1542.)
"WESTEWHITNOKE." Meadow land in the lordship of Leckwith
WESTFURLONG. Certain land in the lordship of Roath (1492.)
WESTGATE STREET. The thoroughfare leading from Wood
Street, parallel with and immediately west of Saint Mary
Street, to Castle Street and Cardiff Bridge. It was constructed
in the old diverted bed of the river Taff, in 1860.
WESTHAWE. A bailiwick in the lordship of Cardiff Castle (1492.)
WHARTON STREET was originally a long thoroughfare from Saint
Mary Street eastward to the Hayes, and thence curving northward around the east side of Little Troy and St. John's
churchyard, as far as King Street. This thoroughfare was
then known as Worten Street (in 1492 as Wotton Street),
probably from the worts or roots formerly grown or sold
there—whence also the names Heol-y-cawl (1768), Broth Lane
and Porridge Lane. Speed's map of 1610 calls it "Porrag
Lane." The fact that the name Crockherbtown (q.v.) has a
similar significance seems to point to the latter's having
originally formed one thoroughfare with Worten Street. At a
later period the northward turning of Worten Street had its
name corrupted to Working Street (the eastern part of which
was at one time called Waste Lane), and Worten Street
became known as Wharton Street. Wharton House, the old
home of the Vachell family, was on the south side of this
street, with one side of it on a lane called Wharton Place,
which runs north and south between the Hayes and Baker's
WHITCHURCH. Welsh Eglwys-newydd, "Newchurch." A village,
manor and chapelry in the parish of Llandaff and Hundred of
Kibbor, 3½ miles north from Cardiff. The Latin name, Album
Monasterium (Whitminster), points to an early monastic
foundation, probably identical with Mynachdy.
WHIT-CLOSE. A field in the Treasurer's Manor of Llandaff (1535.)
WHITE FARM. In the parish of Leckwith, near the borders of
WHITE FRIARS. The convent of Carmelites, or heremitical friars.
It was situate north of the Grey Friars, in Cathays Park. It
became the property of the Herbert family, who rebuilt it in
the 18th century for their residence, but soon demolished it
WHITEHALL. A farm in the parish of Rumney.
WHITEHOUSE, The. Welsh Ty Gwyn. A farmhouse which stood
near the right bank of the river Taff, on the south side of
Cowbridge Road, a little west of Lower Cathedral Road.
The Whitehouse Brook took its name from this house,
near which it flowed into the Taff after pursuing its course
along the west side of Cathedral Road. The brook was
condemned as a nuisance and filled in, 1874. "Whitehouse
Ditch" was the later name which marked its degradation. In
Welsh the brook was called Nant-y-ty-gwyn. Some traces
of it remained until 1895. It was the boundary between the
parishes of Cardiff and Llandaff. A stone across this brook,
opposite Pontcanna Cottages, was dignified with the title of
Whitehouse Bridge (1862.) Brook Street, Canton, is near the
confluence of this stream with the river.
WHITE MOOR, The; "Whitmore." The flat lands on the Severn
shore to the east of Cardiff (1593.)
WHITLA COURT. A modern mansion in the parish of Rumney, on
the south side of the high-road to Newport; the residence of
Henry Heywood, esq., J.P.
WHITLE BATCH. A dwellinghouse in the parish of Llandaff.
WHITMOOR LANE, or Whitmore Lane. The ancient name of
what is now called Custom House Street. It forms the
continuation from the end of Penarth Road, over the Canal,
eastward across Bute Street to the west end of Adamsdown
(1818.) It was so called because it led on to the Whitmoor,
or White Moor. About the middle of the 19th century the
name fell greatly into disrepute, owing to the undesirable class
of persons who inhabited many houses in this street. The
name was altered to Custom House Street in 1872. Since the
Custom House has been removed from this part of the town,
it seems a pity not to so far restore the old name as to call it
Whitmoor Street. Whitmore Lane extended as far east as
Longcross Common (1840.)
WILDERNESS WELL, The. At the hamlet of Gabalfa. It stands
in the fields, and is a pool in a deep hollow surrounded by a
grove. A flight of steps leads down to the water. (fn. 8)
WOLVES, The. A rock between the Flat Holm and Lavernock Point.
WOMANBY. An ancient street leading from the bottom of Quay
Street northward to Castle Street. The name is early
Teutonic, and signifies "the abode of the foreigners." It was
probably the "strangers' quarter," the place where Welsh
and outlandish settlers in the Anglo-Norman burgh were
permitted to live together under the shadow of the Castle.
It is referred to under the forms "Hunmanby," c. 1550;
"Home & by," 1715; Homandby, 1731.
WOODLANDS. A homestead in the parish of Leckwith, north of
WOODVILLE. That portion of the Little Heath on which, c. 1860,
Colonel Wood constructed various streets of small dwellinghouses and shops. The chief of these thoroughfares is
WORDSWORTH AVENUE, formerly called Wordsworth Street.
A blind road planted with trees, leading northwards off
the Newport Road at the first milestone. It was constructed
WORKING STREET. The thoroughfare continued from the Hayes
northward to Saint John Square. Its name is a corruption of
Worten Street (See Wharton Street.) The northern portion
used to be called Waste Lane (1792.)
WYNNEWAY, "Wynnyweye." A place in the lordship of Leckwith,
mentioned in Accounts of 1456 and 1492.
WYSAM. A tenement held in conjunction with Llystalybont and
Maelog's Fee by Sir William Maelog, temp. Hen. III.
YELLOW WELLS. A farm in the parish of Lisvane.
YNYS-CEDWYN (Cedwyn's marsh-island.) A dwellinghouse on an
old site, on the north side of the Ely Road, Canton (1890.)
YNYS-GAU (the enclosed marsh-island.) A farm in the parish of
YNYS-WYLLYS. Arable land in the manor of Llystalybont, near
YNYS-YR-YSGALLEN-FRAITH (the marsh-island of the milkthistle.) A house in the chapelry of Whitchurch.
YNYS-Y-WERN (the island of the alder-trees.) A place in the
parish of Llantrisant where there was a water-mill (1547.) It
was a tenement in the lordship of Miscyn (1666.)
YSGUBOR-FACH (little barn.) A tenement on the lands of Pen-ywaun. J.S.C.
YSGUBOR-FAWR (big barn.) A tenement in the parish of Saint
YSGUBOR-Y-BWRTWE, "Skybbor y Bwrtway" (the Portway
barn.) In the parish of Saint Nicholas (1763.)
YSTAFELL-Y-CWN (the dogs' chamber.) Called in another record
"Stabell-y-cwm." A field at Cefn-coed in the parish of
Llanedern and manor of Roath-Keynsham; mentioned in the
Surveys of 1650 and 1702. Cf. Ty-y-cwn and Ty-y-cyw.
ZEAL. Freehold land in the parish of Roath and manor of RoathKeynsham (1702.)