Cardiff Borough Council Minutes. 1855–1862.
1855 November 9. Alderman Charles Vachell elected Mayor.
Thomas Rees appointed Water Bailiff, at a salary of £10.
Edward Jenkins, Inspector of Weights and Measures.
"The Mayor named Alderman David Lewis as his Deputy to
act in his absence pursuant to the Act."
Decr. 17. A letter from the Water Bailiff respecting damage
to the river by deposit of mud near the entrance of the river.
Committee to make such arrangements as they may deem best.
1856 Febry. 4. Ordered that all articles required by the
Corporation be obtained from the different tradesmen in the town,
and not confined to one person, in order that the distribution may
be more general.
That permission be given to Colonel Wheatley to erect a
temporary Guard House for the Militia in the yard behind the
March 17. Committee to watch the Local Dues on Shipping
August 4. That the Town Clerk enquire into the rights of the
Corporation to the piece of land on the east side of the Glamorganshire Canal, between the Custom House and the site of the old
Also into the rights of the Corporation to the waste land in
Whitmore Lane near the new erection for the County Gaol.
Septr. 5. Town Clerk reports that, with regard to the land
on the Canal, it appears on an old Corporation map to be 2r. 10p.,
and to be the property of the Corporation. He cannot find the
entry of any payment made for such land by the Glamorganshire
Canal Co. or the Merthyr Ironmasters. He apprehends, therefore,
that the Canal Co. either possessed the land by purchase from the
Corporation or by adverse possession, and he considers that the
Corporation cannot now establish any claim to it.
The Council recommend the names of ten persons to be
appointed Borough Justices, and a Petition to Her Majesty is to
be prepared accordingly.
The Town Clerk is to call the attention of the Glamorganshire
Canal Co. to the dangerous state of the Canal Bridge near the
November 10. Monday. Councillor Sydney Dan Jenkins elected
Charles Vachell Deputy Mayor.
May 5. Mr. Edward Priest Richards resigns the office of Town
Mr. John Lloyd the Treasurer does likewise.
15. Councillor Benjamin Matthews resigns and is appointed
The Corporation oppose the Taff Vale Railway Bill.
Ordered, that a new buoy be placed on the spot referred to by
the Harbour Master, the former one having been recently carried
away by a vessel, and that the Town Clerk take proceedings to
recover the cost from the master of such vessel.
The vestibule of the New Town Hall is to be appropriated as a
Corn Exchange. (fn. 1)
Piece of land and court on the south side of the Town Hall to be
sold to the West of England Banking Co. for £133. (fn. 2)
William Davies appointed Borough Treasurer.
1857 August 4. The Surveyor to open the well in Crockherbtown.
£105 subscribed towards the Bath and West of England Agricultural Society, which is to meet at Cardiff next year.
Mr. Gaius Augustine Stone to be permitted to open through the
Town Wall on the Tunnel, and to pay £1 per annum therefor.
Mr. John Lloyd receives the like permission for the Wall in the
Hayes, on premises near the Wesleyan Schoolroom.
Septr. 15. Old Town Hall to be insured for £500, and also to
be sold and removed.
The well in Crockherbtown to be cleaned out.
A letter from Lord Panmure promises a Russian gun, and offers
to have a gun carriage made if the Council will pay for it. The Town
Clerk is to apply for two guns, other towns of less importance having
had that number.
9 Novr. 1857. Charles Crofts Williams elected Mayor.
Mayor's allowance £150.
Lord Panmure writes that he cannot supply two Russian guns.
Advertizements in future to be inserted in the "Cardiff Times."
The Water Bailiff writes that, having been informed by Edward
Stelfox, (fn. 3) fisherman, that Mr. Mitchell's mud boats had deposited mud
about 100 yards to the westward of the Long Dyke, he went over the
mud in the slide and found the report correct. It should have been
deposited half a mile east of the Long Dyke. He cautioned Mitchell,
who promised the offence should not be repeated. The mud was
discharged in the night time.
Resolved, that Mr. Mitchell be summoned by the Harbour Master
before the Magistrates.
1858 Feby. 2. Resolved, that a salaried Police Magistrate be
appointed for the Borough, at a salary of £600.
Nisi Prius Court to be erected forthwith by Mr. Horace Jones,
architect. (fn. 4)
"That no resolution passed at a Meeting of the Council be
rescinded without a month's previous notice having been given, and
there being a greater number of Members present at the subsequent
3. Robert Oliver Jones, esquire, (fn. 5) was appointed Stipendiary
Magistrate for the Borough.
March 16. Town Clerk to take steps for procuring advance of
£8,000 on security of the harbour dues and other Corporation
Petition presented by the Corporation against the Llandaff and
Canton Markets Bill.
The Town Clerk to call upon the West of England Bank to close
their windows which open on the Corporation property.
20. House of Commons petitioned to make Cardiff a harbour
Augt.3. Town Clerk to enquire into the payment of £5. 13. 7½
made to Lord Bute's Trustees, and report to the next Meeting.
Mr. Stockdale is to terminate his engagement as Superintendent
of the Fire Engines.
The Treasurer is to call in a public accountant to analyse and
arrange the accounts of the Corporation.
Septr. 14. "The question of tolls claimed by Lord Bute's
Trustees (£5. 13. 7½) was left in the hands of the Town Clerk."
November 9. Charles Crofts Williams re-elected Mayor.
The Town Crier, William Llewellyn, is henceforth appointed
"during the pleasure of the Mayor."
Treasurer's salary to be £50.
Trustees of the English Baptist Chapel apply for a piece of
ground in St. Mary Street, near the Stogumber Hotel. (fn. 6)
1859 Jany. 28. Edward Priest Richards elected Alderman,
vice Charles Vachell deceased.
Council to co-operate with Newport and Swansea to obtain a
down day mail.
Mr. E. P. Richards declined the Aldermancy.
May 10. Notice received of the opening of the Canton Cattle
Colonel J. F. D. C. Stuart returned to Parliament for the
New pews in Saint John's church provided for the Corporation.
Iron gates to be erected between the vestibule and lobby of the
June 28. Leave granted to Captain Bennett, of the Militia, to
use the cells at the new Town Hall and mount guard there.
Augt. 9. Town Clerk to take the necessary precautions for
preserving intact the rights of the Corporation to their own freehold
sittings called the Alderman's Aisle, adjoining the chancel of Saint
Council are to be entertained to dinner at the Heath tomorrow,
on the occasion of W. W. Lewis, esq., entering into possession of
Paid the Trustees of Lord Bute four years' Town tolls
£22. 14. 6.
Septr. 5. Committee appointed to take necessary steps to ascertain and enforce the rights of the Corporation to dues payable by
vessels frequenting the Ely harbour.
Septr. 20. Vote of sympathy accorded to Lady Jane Stuart on
the death of her husband, Lord James Stuart.
The waste paper belonging to the Corporation is to be sold.
Spare buoy to be replaced by the Harbour Master.
Novr. 9. William Alexander elected Mayor.
Water Bailiff's salary raised to £30.
Town Clerk reported sale of old Registers of Voters, waste
papers, for £4. 8s.
Town Clerk to take steps to enforce the payment of the balance
of the Borough rate by the Overseers.
Decr. 19. Colonel Stuart, M.P., writes offering to the Corporation a portrait of his uncle, the late Marquess of Bute. The offer is
thankfully accepted. (fn. 7)
1860 Feby. 13. Waterloo Buildings in the Hayes, being dilapidated and unsafe, are to be pulled down.
Committee appointed to enquire into and report upon the condi
tion of the harbour.
March 26. Committee appointed to enquire into the regulations
under which the pilots of the Port of Cardiff are governed.
William Peake, having been superannuated from his late office of
Collector of Customs, writes that he must resign that of Collector of
His successor as Collector of Customs, D. Williams, applies for
the post of Collector of Town Dues.
May 14. Committee appointed to confer with the Newport,
Abergavenny & Hereford Railway and other companies, lately
amalgamated, relative to making Cardiff the place of import and
Mr. Councillor George Smart gave notice of motion that the
Mayor convene a meeting of the Burgesses to consider the propriety
of establishing a Free Library and Reading Room under the powers
of the Public Libraries Act, 1855.
Septr. 24. The Council decline to establish baths and washhouses in the Borough.
Octr. 9. Report of Pilotage Committee considered.
The limits of the Cardiff pilotage are those of the Port of Cardiff
declared by Order in Council of 20 December 1847, to commence at
the river Rhymney and continue along the coast of the County of
Glamorgan to Nash Point (with the exception of Swansea.)
Except Swansea and Penarth, the channel pilotage is under the
exclusive direction of the Bristol Town Council. Each port has also
a local pilotage authority, under the Trinity House of Deptford.
Cardiff, however, stands in the exceptional position of having no
local pilotage authority, being in this respect entirely within the jurisdiction of the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the City of Bristol,
by whom Cardiff pilots are appointed. The sole local representative
of the Bristol Corporation is the Dock Master for the time being of
the Bute Docks. A sum amounting to several hundreds a year is
paid to Bristol as Haven Master's dues, by vessels entering the Port
Foreign-going vessels frequenting the Port of Cardiff in 1859
numbered 4434, those frequenting the Port of Bristol only 984.
The Bristol Act was obtained in 1807, when the coasting trade of
Cardiff was altogether insignificant and its foreign trade had no
Mr. John Boyle, Agent to the Bute Trustees, writes approving
the above Report and suggesting it would be fair that Lord Bute
should have the power of regulating the Cardiff pilotage.
Town Clerk to issue advertisements for the sale and removal of
the old Town Hall (excepting the Town clock.)
The new Collector, Mr. T. S. Miller, is appointed to collect the
Novr. 9. Alderman Charles Williams David elected Mayor.
Jenkin Jones appointed Water Bailiff.
Mayor and ex-Mayor to be ex officio Members of all Committees.
Materials of the old Town Hall sold for £100.
Reported that the Meeting of Burgesses had decided not to adopt
the Public Libraries Act, 1855.
Board of Trade waive certain rights connected with the anchors
which should be raised in Cardiff roadstead with the sanction of the
Portion of the site of the Bulwarks granted to Aldn. Alexander
for the use of the Artillery Corps for 6 months.
Mayor gave notice of motion to divide the Borough into Wards
under a new scheme.
Decr. 17. Letter from Town Clerk of Birmingham relative to
the legal right of the Mayor to precedence "in all places," and inviting
co-operation to vindicate same.
John Bird, Deputy Mayor.
1861 Feby. II. Council accept Stelfox's tender to raise anchors
and chains in Penarth Roads at £6 per ton, to the satisfaction of the
Harbour Master to remove the tree on the Black Bench off
Penarth Point, also the deposit of mud and stones.
Resolved, that the attention of the Trustees of Lord Bute be
called to the loss of one of the buoys placed as a mark for deposit of
mud, with a view of another being put there.
Edward David appointed Town Crier during the pleasure of the
Property Committee to select a suitable site for the erection of
the fountain presented by Alderman Alexander.
19. Council to petition against the Penarth Harbour Dock and
Railway Company's Bill, and the Rhymney Railway Leasing Powers
May 13. A much larger buoy is to be substituted for the present
red buoy in the river Taff.
Barrel buoys are to be substituted for the present buoys.
Mr. E. P. Richards, on behalf of the Bute Trustees, consents to
the raised anchors being deposited on a certain piece of land at the
Augt. 12. Cardiff Pilotage Bill has passed.
Harbour Master to procure a bell buoy and have the other buoys
Borough to be divided into North, Middle and South Wards.
Mr. Waring appointed Architect and Surveyor to the Council, at
a salary of £90.
Novr. 9. Aldn. Charles Williams David elected Mayor.
Edward Jenkins appointed Weigher at the Market.
John Bird, Deputy Mayor.
The Serjeants at Mace are to receive £5 each and a suit of
clothes. (They are no longer stated to be officers of the Courts of
On behalf of the Volunteer Force of Cardiff, Aldn. William
Alexander applies for a piece of land in Saint Mary Street for the
purpose of erecting an armoury and forming a drill ground, adjoining
the Stogumber Hotel.
Decr. 30. Vote of condolence with Her Majesty the Queen on
the death of the Prince Consort.
Aldn. Alexander's fountain to be placed in front of the Town
Letter from Messrs. Hill and Sons:—
"Permit us, as persons largely interested in the well-being of the
Port, to call your attention to its present totally defenceless condition.
In the event of war we are liable to be attacked at any moment, and
our property destroyed in a few hours, without even the means of
returning a shot." Suggests a strong application to Government for
the construction of a Battery and the sending of some gunboats, as
has already been done for Liverpool.
Resolved, that the Town Clerk call the attention of the Government to the defenceless state of the Bristol Channel.
The "Havannah" ship has been appropriated as an industrial
Property Committee to enquire when the encroachment was
made on the Town Wall on the site proposed for a Weighing
Office. (fn. 8)
The Electric Telegraph Co. are to be asked to erect a time-ball
on the summit of the Town Hall.
1862 March 24. Site of the cottages in Mill Lane to be let.
Admiralty applied to, to raise three sunken wrecks; they reply
they have no such power, but refer the matter to the Board of Trade.
They also have not the power.
New weighing-machine for Crockherbtown; the old one to be