SCALTHWAITERIGG AND HAY.
The Hospital or House of Lepers near Kendall.
William Harryngton, keeper or master there.
The aforesaid Hospital is worth:—
|Mansion with divers closes and plough lands annexed to the same per annum
|Rent and farms in the same place in the tenure of various tenants per annum
|Reprisals to wit:—
|Money paid as of old for the sustentation of the poor and leprous people daily existing under the said Hospital and there remaining
|A tenth part whereof
Valor Ecclesiasticus, vol. 5, p. 268.
On 14 February, 1545/6, the churchwardens of Kendal presented
to the bishop of Carlisle that there was a foundation of a house
(chantry) and certain land called Spittelle of the yearly value of
£11 10s. 3d., as appeareth by the rental thereof. Rentals and Surveys
P.R.O. Roll, 846.
13 January. It is ordered that the inhabitants of Hutton in Hay
are to join with those of Skalthwayte Rigg and ye Hay as formerly
with regard to assessment. K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692.
14 January. The way at Spittell Beck is in decay; order that the
inhabitants there ought to repair the same before next Sessions or pay
a fine of 5s. for their neglect. K Indictment Book, 1669-92; also
K. Order Book, 1669-96.
24 April. The following, being suspected persons, have neglected
or refused to make and subscribe the Declaration and take the
oaths:—Kath. Beck, widow, Margt. Beck, spr. and Elizth Thompson,
widow. (K. Indictment Book, 1692-1724). See Docker under same
16 January. Presentment that the highway between Minte
Bridge and Kendall is very much out of repair; Order to the chief
constable to give notice to the Corporation of Kendall to repair the
same as also the way leading from Peat Yate to Kendall. K. Order
Then follow several other presentments as to the decay of this
road which are all very much the same; e.g. on 12 January, 1711,
concerning the "broad way adjoining to Spittle"; on 18 January,
1712, the highway from Laverock Bridge to the Spittle; on 2 May,
1712, the causeway from Mint Bridge to Crossbank End; on 16
January, 1713, the highway between Kendal and Spittle; and on
5 October, 1716, the highway between Mints Feet Bridge and Mints
Feet Lane. K. Indict. Book, 1692–1724.
17 January. It appearing that the King's highway leading from
Spittlehouse to K. Kendall, being 500 yards in length and 4 yards in
breadth is in great want of repair, upon a travers in court it appears
that Mr. John Wilson of Spittle, gent., John Lancaster of the same,
yeo, Thos Wilson, tanner, Ric. Crackanthorpe, gent., Will. Wilson,
tanner, Rob. Nicholson, Will. Fletcher, Anthony Garnet and Tho.
Hudson, all of K. Kendall, having lands adjoining the said highway
on each side, by the jury's verdict, are found liable to repair it and
for neglect to do so the court fines them £20 and orders them
to repair it before Midsummer on pain of paying the said fine.
K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
13 January. Presentment that the highroad between Mince
Bridge and Mince Feet Close is in decay, and that the ground on both
sides belongs to Spittle and is in the possession of Mr. John Wilson
of Spittle: ordered to be repaired by the possessors before next
Sessions. (Ibid.). Also the highway adjoining to the east side of
Mincefeet, between the yeat called Shipcoat Yeat and Mincefeet
Close, is much damaged by persons laying dunghills or manure:
ordered to be forthwith repaired and the dunghills removed. Ibid.
15 January. Presentment that the highway between Lowcross
Banck and the close at Mincefeet Close, is in decay for want of
repair and by dunghills there, and ought to be repaired. Ibid.
The Common Fields known as "Mint's Feet," containing some
105 acres, were inclosed in 1811. Hitherto they had been open
tracts of arable or meadow land belonging in separate strips to
various owners. These, when under tillage or shut up for hay, were
occupied in severalty, but at other times were subject to the exercise
of rights of common.
10 July. The Commissioner's Award under the Scalthwaiterigg
Inclosure Act inrolled and deposited with the Clerk of the Peace.
K. Order Book, 1811–17.
12 July. Part of the common highway, beginning at the south end
of a close called the Vineyard, part of Spittle Farm, and ending northwards as far as the north side of farms and grounds called Spittle,
in length 1860 yards and in breadth 7 yards, in great decay, and that
Will. Ellwood, farmer of Spittle Farm, ought to repair the same.
K. Indictment Book, 1824–34.
28 July. John Gough the eminent naturalist died on Wednesday
last at Fowl Ing in the 68th year of his age. He was born at Kendal
in 1757 and when some three years old was attacked with the small
pox which deprived him of sight. He could distinguish day from
night but not the image of any object. He went to the Friend's
School in Kendal, where, under Mr. Bewley he learnt natural history
and became devoted to botany. Wordsworth's Excursion (pp. 6, 7)
gives to us a happy portrait of his friend John Gough:—
No floweret blooms
Throughout the lofty range of these rough hills,
Or in the woods, that could from him conceal
It's birth-place; none whose figure did not live
Upon his touch.
10 March. Complaint that the road at a place called Light Water
on the Appleby road near Benson Hall, was dangerous, with a request
that the stream be covered over and the road made level. Resolved that the County Council be recommended to carry out the
improvement on condition that one-half of the cost is subscribed
locally. C. C. Minutes, 1899–1900.
13 April. After a similar complaint a Committee found that the
water from a runner crosses the road in the open and generally
extends a few inches deep to a witdh of several feet, but that after
heavy rains the water is considerable and dangerous. They recommend the erection of a culvert across the road and the surveyor was
instructed accordingly. C. C. Minutes. 1907–8.