11 October. A Meeting House in Lambrigg is licensed as a place for
religious worship for the people called Quakers. K. Order Book,
6 October. Presentment that Awthwaite Bridge in Lambrigg
is very ruinous and the water course to the gate adjoining to Docker,
20 yards in length is dangerous for want of repair; Order to repair
before next Sessions on pain of £10. K. Order Book, 1725–37; also
15 April. Petition of the inhabitants of Lambrigg setting forth
that the highways within their township are greatly out of repair,
and that the 6 days labour is not sufficient to effectually repair the
same; it is ordered that an assessment of 6d. in the pound be levied
upon the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers, and that in case
of refusal or nonpayment within 10 days after demand, be levied
by distress and sale of goods, etc. K. Order Book, 1760–70.
12 June. William Rowlandson in his Will, under this date,
devised all his messuage, tenement and lands, known as Bracken Hall,
otherwise Raggon Hall, unto his nephews Abraham Rowlandson
and William Hastwell in trust. They sold the greater part of the
estate to Edward Fidler for £2780. It was held of the Rt. Hon.
William Earl of Lonsdale as parcel of his manor of Lambrigg by
payment of the yearly customary rent of £1 1s. 11d., and subject
to the payment of 3s. yearly to William Carus Wilson, 5s yearly in
lieu of Capons, (fn. 1) 1s. 2½d. yearly wood rent, a boon hen, one day boon
mowing and two days boon shearing to Grayrigg Hall yearly, and
also the payment of 3s. tithe meal silver. On 20 February, 1819,
the estate was enfranchised by the Earl of Lonsdale to Edward Fidler
in consideration of the sum of £241 17s. 1d. Edward Fidler, the
son of the above, by his will dated 19 June, 1872, left the estate to
Trustees to sell, whereupon Arthur Shepherd bought it in 1873.
Shaw End Deeds.
||Capon, a castrated cock. They were formerly taken in payment of rent in kind.