24 April. The following, being suspected persons, have neglected
or refused to make and subscribe the Declaration and take the oaths.
Frances Dennyson, Tho. Dennyson, and John Dennyson, in Grayrigg.
(K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724). See Docker under same date.
Grayrigg Chapel rebuilt and soon after made parochial.
2 May. Presentment that (Low) Borrow Bridge in the way leading
from Kendall to Appleby and standing both in the Barony and the
Bottom of Westmorland, is in decay: order for the chief constable
of the Kendal Ward to meet the chief constable of the East and West
Wards and cause the same to be repaired. On 17 May following an
Order was issued for the repair of that part of (Low) Borrow Bridge
which belongs to the Barony, the high constable of the East Ward
having been ordered to contract for the repair of that part which
belongs to the Bottom of Westmorland. K. Order Book, 1696–1724;
Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 221.
9 October. Edmond Theobalds, clerk, shows that he has been
curate of Grayrigg for above 17 years and that his salary never
amounted to more than £5 per annum, save what the inhabitants
freely contributed towards his and his family's maintenance, and
having been for some time discharged from that employment is
reduced to great want; order for 1s. weekly relief to be paid by the
churchwardens and overseers of Grayrigg. Augmented to 2s. at the
Christmas Sessions. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
14 January. Presentment that 300 yards in length and 2 yards
in breadth in the King's highway adjoining to the Hause house field
leading from the township of Whinfell to the market town of Appleby
is dirty, founderous and in decay, etc., and that the inhabitants of the
township of Grayrigg ought to repair the same. K. Indictment
12 January. Presentment that a part of the common and ancient King's highway leading between the market towns of K.
Kendale and Appleby, beginning at a Gate called Hausefoot Gate
in the township of Grayrigg and ending at the river Borrow containing 200 yards in length and 2 yards in breadth is very ruinous,
miry, deep broken and in such decay that the liege subjects of the
King cannot pass ride or labour over it without great danger of their
lives, etc., and that the inhabitants of Grayrigg always repaired and
still ought so to amend, etc. Note in margin:—Ordered that the
inhabitants be fined £20 if the road be not repaired before Easter
Sessions next. Upon a certificate that the highway above was in
good and sufficient repair at the court held 12 May, 1750, the order
was discharged. K. Indict. Book, 1738–50.
11 October. Presentment that there was and yet is a common and
ancient highway leading from the township of Whinfield to the market
town of Orton, and that in a certain lane there called Borough Bridge
lane in the township of Grayrigg, beginning at Whinfield Fell foot
and thence to the south end of Borough Bridge, containing in length
300 feet and in breadth 8 feet, was and yet is very ruinous, etc.,
and that the inhabitants of Grayrigg ought to repair and amend the
same. On 17 January, 1755, the inhabitants pleaded Not Guilty
and prayed for an enquiry. On 11 April, 1755, the jury gave the
verdict that the inhabitants were Not Guilty in manner and form as
in and by the said indictment is alleged against them and therefore it
was ordered that they be acquitted. K. Indictment Book, 1750–60.
15 July. Presentment that a certain bridge over the river Lune,
called Salterwath Bridge, in the king's common highway between the
market towns of Orton and Sedbergh, is in great decay broken and
ruinous, etc., and that the inhabitants of the county ought to repair
and amend it. (K. Indictment Book, 1811–17). An order accordingly. K. Order Book, 1811–17.
11 November. Lord Lonsdale has presented the inhabitants of
Grayrigg with a plot of ground to build a school on and ten guineas
toward the building. Local Chron., 10.
11 December. The building of Salterwath Bridge, over the river
Lune, let to Rob. Gowling and Co. for £550. (Appleby Order Book,
1824–34). On 9 July, 1827, it was resolved that Robert Atkinson be
paid the sum of £1 5s. 6d., for damage done to his land during the
rebuilding. Appleby Minute Book, 1825–38.
10 July. Presentment that there is a certain common and ancient
king's highway leading from the turnpike road between K. Kendal and
Appleby, through the township of Grayrigg and from thence through
Firbank and Dillicar to the Crook o' Lune Bridge and continued
towards the market town of Sedbergh, and that a certain part of the
highway extending from the said turnpike road to a certain field
called Bowness close, containing in length 1161 yards and in breadth
7 feet, is very ruinous, etc., and that the inhabitants of the township
of Grayrigg ought to repair and amend the same. On 16 October
following an order with a plan annexed for widening and enlarging
the above mentioned highway for the length of 1161 yards through the
lands and grounds of the Rev. William Sewell, the Rev. Littledale,
the Rev. John Sampson, John Atkinson and James Thompson.
K. Indict. Book, 1824–34.
12 July. A clergyman has just been elected to Grayrigg Church,
in the place of the Rev. E. Cleasby. The Rev. Isaac Mossop was
elected at a full meeting of the landowners. He was opposed by Mr.
Airey from Kendal. "The right of election has always rested in the
landowners, but the vicar of Kendal came forward and claimed the
nomination. Great praise is due to Mr. Shepherd of Shaw End, Mr.
Thompson of Moresdale Hall and others for opposing this innovation.
The disputed right to the appointment is to be tried at Law. On
12 September, 1829, at the Lancaster assizes the right of nomination to
the perpetual curacy of Selside (sic) chapel was tried. The landowners
of the five townships of Grayrigg, Lambrigg, Dillicar, Docker and
Whinfell had appointed Mr. Mossop, but the vicar of Kendal
appointed the Rev. Thomas Airey and this appointment the
bishop sanctioned, and Mr. Airey went to Grayrigg. The landowners
then brought this action to try their right. The jury returned the
verdict:—"We find the right of nomination in the landowners,
subject to the approval of the Vicar of Kendal." Local Chron. pp.
27 April. Filed a certificate under the hand of Thomas Page,
minister of God's Word, at Kendal, that a room and premises at
Grayrigg in the occupation of John Bell, blacksmith, is intended to
be used as a place of religious worship by an assembly or congregation
of Protestants, pursuant to the provision of the Statute 52 Geo. 11i.
(K. Indict. Book, 1824–34). This was an Act repealing an Act of
Charles 11 for the suppression of Conventicles, and enacting that in
future all places for religious worship were to be certified and registered and that all preachers were to take the oath and make the
Declaration as specified in the Act of 19 Geo. III., c. 44.
20 February. The verdict obtained by Mr. Shepherd, brought for
the purpose of trying the right of nomination to the curacy of Grayrigg, has been set aside by the Court of Common Pleas, and a nonsuit
entered. Local Chron, 79.
The Chapel was again rebuilt by subscription in 1837 and the tower