SELSIDE AND WHITWELL.
10 January. Dispensation issued by Julian, cardinal-bishop of
Ostia on 23 March, 11 Alexander VI, for William Thornburgh and
Cecily Curwen to marry. They were related in the third degree.
Register of Savage, p. 94.
24 April. The following, being suspected persons, have neglected
or refused to make and subscribe the Declaration and take the Oaths:
Tho. Thornbarrow and Arthur Holme. (K. Indictment Book, 16921724). See Docker under same date.
Thomas Sommers, curate of Selside, certified that the chapel there
was supplied by a "reading curate," i.e., a reader of the Common
Prayer and Homilies of the Church of England, in contradistinction to
a "preaching curate." In 1717, the curacy was valued at £8 5s. od.,
made up of £4 charged upon the estates of the inhabitants, £4 issuing
out of land left by Miles Birkbeck, and 5s. interest of money left by
William Thornburgh of Selside Hall, a Nonjuror, owned Whitwell
Hall in his own possession, valued at £9 15s. 10d. English Catholic
Nonjurors of 1715.
5 November. As the rebel army marched south through Kendal,
Francis Thornburgh, son of William Thornburgh "of Selset Hall near
Kendal," joined them. "His ffathr sent one of his servent men to
wait upon his son, because he was in scarlet cloathes and stiled Captn
Thornburrow." Francis was taken prisoner at Preston and marched
with the other chief prisoners to Wigan—He " hapnd to see two other
prisoners there bribe ye centinel. So they made escape and one hour
after he tould ye centinel what he saw. So ye centinel let him make
his escape in woomans cloathes." Chetham Soc., o.s. vol. v, pp. 80,
31 May. Presentment that from the time whereof the memory of
man is not to the contrary there was and yet is a certain common and
ancient highway leading from the town of Selside to the market town
of Orton (? via the Breasthigh Road) used for all the liege subjects
of our Lord the King, etc., without any obstruction or hindrance whatsoever; and that on the 1st October, 27 Geo. 11, at Selside a certain
wall had then before been erected and fixed across the same common
highway in a certain part thereof called Kirkford Lanehead by a
certain person yet unknown, whereby the same king's highway was
totally obstructed so that the King's liege subjects could not go,
return, pass, ride and labour as they ought, etc., and that Tho. Wilson
of Selside with force and arms unlawfully and obstinately did uphold
and maintain the same. On the 11 October, 1754, Tho. Wilson pleaded guilty and produced a certificate to show that the obstruction was
now removed and that the same king's highway was now open
unobstructed and free for all His Majesty's liege subjects. K. Indict.
10 July. Jacob Chambre, A.B., curate of Selside, took the oaths
of allegiance, supremacy and abjuration and subscribed the same
according to law. K. Indictment Book, 1760–70.
12 September. Application for an Act of Parliament to enclose and
allot the commons of Selside and Whitwell. Local Chron. 26.
9 July. Presentment that in the highway from Patton towards and
into the turnpike road from K. Kendal to Shap, at a certain part
beginning at the brook which divides the townships of Patton and
Whitwell and so continuing towards and unto the said turnpike
road, of the length of 3700 yards, being of the breadth of 8 feet, is
very ruinous etc., and that the inhabitants of the township of Whitwell
and Selside ought to repair the same. Certified to be in good and
sufficient repair on 7 April, 1823. K. Indict. Book, 1817–24.
6 January. Henry Holme Airey, Perpetual Curate of Selside, took
the oaths of allegiance, supremacy and abjuration and made the
Declaration required by Statute 9 Geo. IV, and subscribed the same.
K. Indictment Book, 1824–34.