Geoffrey de Melcanthorpe grants all land that he has in the vill of
Staveley Godemand, the gift of Robert the son of Ivo de Joneby, to
John de Camera and Sibille his wife. Witnesses, Roger de Lonc[astre],
William de Stirkeland, Roger de Burton, Richard de Preston, knts.
and William de Wyndishouere, Gilbert de Brunolvesheved, Ralph de
Patton, Thomas de Derley, Alan the clerk and others. Deed 7¼ins.
wide by 53/8 deep; seal of green wax bearing a fluer-de-lys. Chambre
Deeds, County Muniment Room.
1283 A writ of four lines of Geoffrey de Melcanthorpe appointing Thomas
Collan to deliver seisin in accordance with the above feoffment.
Dated at Kirkeby in Kendale Sunday next before the feast of St.
Martin (November 7) A.D. MCCLXXXIII. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1333 Quitclaim by Gilbert son and heir of John de Haltclo to Sibill de
Camera and John son of John de Camera of his right in lands, etc. in
Staveley Godemund which he claimed as his right before the King's
Justices of the Bench against Sibill and on account of her default
before the same by the consideration of the court John son of John
was admitted to his right of defending. Witnesses, Roger de
Brunolvesheved, Roger de Leyburne, knts., Rowland de Patton,
Thomas Warde, Richard de Gilpyn and others. Given at Kyrkeby
in Kendale on the feast of St. Matthew the Apostle, A.D. 1333. A
small circular seal of yellow wax bearing a standing figure. Chambre
1383 Grant by Simon de Multon and Roger son of William the clerk of
Kyrkeby Lonesdale to John del Chambre and Christiana his wife of
all the lands and tenements they held of the gift and feoffment of the
same John in Staveley Godmond within the bounds of Stirkeland
Ketyll. Witnesses, William de Thornburgh, Robert de Docura,
Robert de Stirkeland, John de Levenes, John Philipson. Given at
le Howis in Helsington on the eve of Whitsunday (9 May) 6 Richard
11. Two seals of white paste. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1395 Indenture made on Sunday next before St. Bartholomew (22
August) 19 Richard II, between Sir John de Hothom of Scoreburgh
and Sir Walter de Pedewardyne of the one part and John del Chambre
of the other part, testifying that John claims to have common of
pasture within the lordship of Staveley for himself and his tenants,
the said John and Walter grant it on condition that if his claim were
found by counsel at the feast of St. Peter's Chains next to come to be
true then John and Walter will that he have and hold the whole right
and claim, but if his claim were not true that he and his tenants for
their trespass should satisfy them. Chambre Deeds, ibid.
1436 Feoffment by Thomas de Chaumbyr, son and heir of John de
Chaumbyr, lately deceased, to Adam Fattyng and John Layerholme,
chaplains, of all his lands and tenements lying in the vill of Helsington and all his tenements in Staveley Godmund to hold of the chief
lords, etc. Given at Helsington on the feast of St. Romanus the
Bishop (October 23) 15 Henry VI. Seal of red wax. Chambre Deeds,
1543 John Colynson of Staveley in his will bequeaths 6d. to the mending
of the highway between his close end and that of William Persyne.
Local Chron., XI.
1587 20 September. A licence from William, Bishop of Chester, for the
administration of the Sacraments, etc. in Staveley Chapel. Hist.
MSS. Com., 10th Rep. 299.
1588/9 Among the MSS. of the Corporation of Kendal are to be found
certificates of the inhabitants of Staveley as to the distance of their
hamlets from the parish church of Kendal, giving particulars as to the
frequent overflows of the waters. The inhabitants of Troutbeck, on
28 June, 1588, certified "uppon our fidelities that we do know the
said wais for that yt is our common market way to Kendall and
therefore do signifie that the said wais be very dangerous and without
great perill not to be passed neyther uppon Foote nor uppon horsebacke by Reason of the aboundance of watters flowinge into the lanes
. . . . . as we often tymes to our great perill have proved. Also the
draft of an answer thereto and papers relating to a suit for the
"unchurching" of Staveley Chapel. Ibid.
1620 James I had taken into his own hands all the customary lands of
Westmorland which were held by the ancient Border Service and had
granted them to his son Charles, Prince of Wales. Thus the tenants
had either to give up their lands which their ancestors had held for
centuries by honourable service, or to rebel against their sovereign.
A meeting was held on 2 January, 1620/21, in the Staveley Church
yard to protest. They were summoned by James Smith, the high
constable and bridge master of Kendal Ward, under pretence of viewing the bridge with regard to necessary repairs. The tenants petitioned the king to allow the ancient customs of Border Tenant Right to
continue and for their remonstrance, Samuel Knipe, James Smith, John
Cartmell, Thomas Pricket, John Beck, Rowland Harrison, Robert
Mawson, Francis Washington, Edward Tarne and many other persons
to the number of one hundred and above, were indicted by the lords
before the Star Chamber, for forming part of the "riotous meeting
in Staveley Chapel." The cause was heard in November, 1622, when
the defendants pleaded "Not Guilty," whereupon the Court appointed judges to call both landlords and tenants together and hear
further evidence as to title. Four years later the king died when the
judges pronounced a decree confirming customary estates, but issued
a commission to fix the amount to be paid in lieu of Border Service,
which had ceased to be necessary.
1671 15 April. It appearing to this court by the oath of Tho. Ayray of
Ambleside that about 34 or 35 years since he was employed by Sir
Jas. Bellingham, kt., and Gawen Brathwaite, esq., to repair Barley
Bridge in Over Staveley, and was paid out of public money; ordered
that this bridge stand and be entered in the roll for a public bridge.
K. Indictment Book, 1669–92.
5 May. The highway in Ulthwaite in Hugill leading from Kentmyre to K. Kendal for 200 ells is in great decay and is repairable by
the inhabitants of Hugill. K. Indictment Book, 1669–1692.
14 July. William Harryson, curate of Staveley, signed the antiJacobite "Association" formed throughout the Kingdom, for the
protection of William III. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
16 January. Barley Bridge presented as ruinous and in decay;
Order to the chief constable to get some sufficient workmen to view
the said bridge and give an estimate for its repair on 14 February.
K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
17 April. Order that the Chief Constable of Kendal Ward repair
Gowan and Barley bridges, formerly reputed to be in decay at a cost
not to exceed £3 15s. (Ibid.). On 14 July following, it was ordered
that Reginald Dennyson, late high constable of Kendal Ward pay
£3 15s., part of the public money in his hands, to old Will. Johnson,
present high constable for the repair of Gowan and Barley Bridges.
K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
9 October. Order that the high constable take John Brougham of
Fairbank and view Ings Bridge and report whether it be a public or a
private bridge and make their report. Ibid.
7 October. Indictment and Order to repair Hugill Lanine from the
Broad Gate to Rustan Smiddy. Also the laine in Nether Staveley
from the bridge end, near the chapel, to Roadridd (Ratherheath)
Beck. K. Indictment Book, 1692–1724.
21 April. Order to the inhabitants of Over Staveley to repair the
private bridge called New Bridge. (Ibid.). On 7 October, 1715, the
bridge is again indicted as being in decay, to the great danger of
passengers. (Ibid.). On 21 September, 1716, the public bridge
called New Bridge in Over Staveley, being ruinous, did fall downe to
the damage of the king's subjects there. Ibid.
15 January. In pursuance of an Order made at this General
Quarter Sessions for the high constable to view the common highways and to make a report of the state and condition of the same,
Benjamin Browne, reported that the way from Ratherhead to Sandhill was very narrow, opposite to the Crow wood especially, and many
places much incumbered with the hedges on each side. From
Broad Gate to the far end of Ings cawsey in some places so very
narrow that a cart can scarce run. Browne MSS., vol. i, n. 220.
18 April. Presentment that Ings Bridge at Hugil is insufficient,
inconvenient and in want of reparation. (K. Indict. Book, 1738–50).
On 3 May following, an Order was issued that the high constables do
with all convenient speed and at as low a rate as possible contract
with some able and expert workmen for the immediate rebuilding of
Ings Bridge. K. Order Book, 1738–50.
15 January. Presentment that Gawen Bridge is in decay and
too narrow for the king's subjects to pass over with their carts and
carriages without great danger. (K. Indict. Book, 1738–50). Order
that the high constables do view and report the condition thereof.
(K. Order Book, 1738–50). And on the following 22 April they were
ordered to forthwith contract for the repairing of the said bridge.
12 July. Application of the Surveyor of highways in the township
of Over Staveley setting forth that the highways are greatly out of
repair and that the 6 days labour is insufficient to effectually repair
the same; ordered that an assessment of 6d. in the pound be levied
on the several inhabitants, owners and occupiers and that in case of
refusal or non payment within 10 days after demand, be levied on
distress and sale of goods. K. Order Book, 1760–70.
19 April. Presentment that Staveley Bridge is one of the public
bridges and that the said bridge and 300 feet at each end is in great
decay, etc. and ought to be repaired at the expense of the county.
Order to the two high constables to view and report the condition
thereof at the next sessions. K. Indictment Book, 1770–80.
27 April. Presentment that there was and yet is a certain common
and ancient highway leading from the market town of Milthrop to the
township of Over Staveley, and that a certain part of the same
beginning at a place called Pluck-a-Lame, where the same lane adjoins
to a certain other place called Common Head in the township of
Nether Staveley and from thence leading over Common Head and
from thence over a certain other place called Stymire and from thence
over Staveley Banks to a certain part of the same where the said
highway is newly repaired, containing in length 600 yards and in
breadth 6 feet, was and yet is very ruinous etc., and that the inhabitants of the township of Nether Staveley ought to repair the same.
(Ibid.). Upon appeal the former finding was made absolute on
5 October, 1778. Ibid.
24 April. Presentment that Thomas Harrison, yeo. on the 25
March and divers other days in the king's common highway leading
from the township of Over Staveley to the township of Kentmere
with force and arms unlawfully and injuriously did erect a certain
stone wall containing in length 8 yards and in breadth 1 foot and doth
continue to obstruct the same to the common nuisance of the king's
subjects. (K. Indict. Book, 1780–87). At the Court held on the
13 January following Thomas Harrison was fined £4 for the obstruction. K. Order and Indict. Book, 1786–98.
15 July. Presentment that Ings Bridge and 300 ft. of the road at
each end of it are in great decay and ought to be repaired at the
public expense of co. Westmorland. K. Order and Indictment
17 January. Presentment that Scroggs Bridge over the river
Kent, in the king's common highway leading from the market town
of K. Kendal by way of Kentmere to the market town of Penrith, is
in great decay, broken and ruinous, etc. and that it ought to be
repaired at the expense of the county. (K. Indict. Book, 1805–1806).
Order that it be repaired. K. Order and Indictment Book, 1798–1811.
18 July. Presentment that a certain common bridge over the
river Gawen, called Gawen Bridge, in the king's common highway
between the market towns of K. Kendal and Ambleside, is narrow
and in great decay, broken and ruinous and that the inhabitants of
the county ought to amend the same. (K. Indict. Book, 1824–34).
Ordered that the above bridge be widened and rendered more commodious and safe for the public and that Mr. Braithwaite the high
constable and Bridge Master do forthwith procure proper plans for
widening and repairing and proceed to the letting thereof. Ibid.
4 October. Rev. Charles Butler Harris, B.A., of Queens' Coll.,
Camb., appointed to the incumbency of Ings vacant by the death of
Rev. John Airey. K. Mercury.
18 October. Ordered that the road be widened at the east end of
Barley Bridge at an expense not exceeding £10. K. Order Book,
4 April. Rev. Thomas Fenton took the oath of Allegiance,
Supremacy and Abjuration and made and subscribed the Declaration
in lieu of the Sacramental Test as incumbent of Ings Chapel. Ibid.
The ancient church of Staveley having become ruinous, was
abandoned, and a new church was built at a cost of £1909 16s. 6d.,
raised entirely by private donations. The first sod was cut on 28
July, 1863, in the presence of J. S. Crowther, architect of Manchester.
The "rearing" took place on 17 August, 1864, and Bishop Waldegrave consecrated the building on 24 April, 1865.
20 October. Report that Scroggs Bridge is an old narrow bridge
built of rubble stone, and placed at right angles to the road, the
parapet walls at each end are thrown down and displaced by the
conveyance of timber in long lengths from the woods of Kentmere.
Ordered that a plan and estimate be laid before the next Sessions.
On 6 April 1866, it was resolved that the Bridge Master take steps to
repair the bridge at a cost not exceeding £100. On 11 April, 1867,
the Bridge Master reported that the approach to Scroggs Bridge from
the Staveley side requires widening as at present there is scarcely
room for wood wagons to make the turn. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.
5 March. Barley Bridge crosses the Kent near the old Woollen
Mills. It is built of rough local stone with a span of 24 ft. 6 in. to the
western and of 21 ft. 6 ins. to the eastern arch. The roadway
between the parapets being only 8 ft. 4 inches. C.C. Minutes, 1889–94.
13 April. Reported that the turn in the road at Ings Church is
dangerous, and it is recommended to divert the road to the north-east
of the church if the land can be acquired. (C.C. Minutes, 1907–8).
On 20 February, 1914, the new road was reported as finished. (C.C.
Minutes, 1913–14). The estimate submitted to the Road Board
when applying for a grant was £2780, and towards this the Road
Board made a grant of £1390. C.C. Minutes, 1914–15.
15 May. Resolved that a recess in the parapet wall of Barley
Bridge be formed on the up-stream side over the cut-water at an
estimated cost of £50. C.C. Minutes, 1923–4.