Supplementary Records
Holme

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

John F. Curwen (editor)

Year published

1926

Page

273

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Supplementary Records: Holme', Records relating to the Barony of Kendale: volume 3 (1926), pp. 273. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49381 Date accessed: 02 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

HOLME.

1711 13 April. On Saturday night, 2 December last, a sudden and violent storm of wind and tempest destroyed the cottage house of Richard Edmondson of Holme; recommendation to charity. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.

1816 14 October. Certificate of Henry Cock of Holme certifying that his dwelling house at Holme is intended forthwith to be used as a Place of Religious Worship by an assembly or congregation of Protestants, and requiring the same to be registered according to the Act 52 George III, is filed on the Rolls of this Sessions. K. Indict. Book, 1811–17.

1826 3 April. Presentment that there is a common and ancient King's highway leading from out of the turnpike road at or near a place called Clawthorp Hall unto and terminating in the said turnpike at or near Nether Bridge, and that a certain part of it beginning at a place called Witchell which divides the parishes of Burton and Betham, and so towards the market town of Burton, in length 2001 yards and of the breadth of 7 yards, is in great decay, etc. and that the inhabitants of Holme ought to repair it. K. Indict. Book, 1824–34.

1839 The church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was built in 1839 and consecrated the following year. The ecclesiastical parish was formed on 1 December, 1843, out of Burton.

1861 4 January. Rev. Thomas Croft took the usual oaths and subcribed the declaration on his appointment to the Incumbency of Holme. K. Minute Book, 1859–75.

1909 19 November. Resolved that the site belonging to Captain Bagot be purchased for a new School at a sum of £140. That application be made to the Local Government Board for sanction to borrow the sum of £1,900 to be expended on the purchase of a site and the erection of a new School thereon. That the area served by the School be charged three-fourths of the interest and repayment of the loan (C. C. Minutes 1909–10). On 23 May 1910, it was resolved to increase the loan by making application to borrow £2,100 to be spread over 50 years because (1) the population consists largely of workers in the matting industry, which is one of the poorest industries in the county, (2) the parish has recently put in a new water scheme the cost of which is enhanced by the straggling nature of the village and (3) the parish is faced with a new sewerage scheme. Ibid., 1910–11.