26 April. In the Will of Edward Mansergh of Mansergh, under this
date, mention is made of his wife Barbara; his sons Christopher,
George and Alexander; his daughter Alice and his grandson Edward
the son of Christopher. Surtees Soc., vol. 26, p. 37.
28 February. Information against John Bainbrigg of Mansergh
who is believed to be an encourager "of that black and terrible troop
of notorious malefactors by which the part of the country hath been
intolerably infested." His house is believed to be well furnished
with men's and women's apparel such as was never bought by him,
and also several rapiers, pistols and other weapons. Hist. MSS. Com.,
12th Rep., 190.
10 October. Petition of John Peilsburie and Katherine his wife
that they were forced to fly out of Ireland through the fear of the
Irish Papists and having nothing to live upon save a small cottage in
Mansergh: Order for 12d. per week to be paid to them by the Church
Wardens and Overseers of Mansergh. K. Indictment Book, 1669–92.
17 January. Whereas James Bainbidge, constable of Mansergh,
was ordered by warrant of Christopher Hilton, Esq., to apprehend
John Bainbridge and Edward Bainbridge within his constablewick,
and convey them before Mr. Hilton to answer great misdemeanours
laid against them by Margaret the wife of the said Edward, and paid
10s. for assistance in conveying them for the charges of 2 nights and
3 days before they could be conveyed before Mr. Hilton by reason of
their obstinancy and 10s. more to the assistants; order to the said
John and Edward Bainbridge to pay the petitioner 20s. and for
distress on their refusal. Order to the keeper of the common goal to
take into custody Edward and John Bainbridge, who hath threatened
the death of Margaret wife of Edward and the burning of the houses
of some of her neighbours, they having refused to enter recognizances
to appear at next Sessions. K. Order Book, 1696–1724.
10 October. Whereas the inhabitants of the manor or lordship of
K. Lonsdale contributed £4 2s. 6d. towards the erection of a new
bridge at Beckbrow, dividing the lordships of K. Lonsdale and
Mansergh, near to Mansergh Hall houses, upon condition that the
inhabitants of Mansergh hereafter repair the said bridge at their own
charge, this agreement dated 25 August, 1707, is made an Order of
Sessions. (Ibid.). The order was confirmed 13 July following.
Jacob Dawson of Nether Hall in Mansergh, who built the chapel
there in 1726, died in June, 1735. Alex. Pearson, Material for an
account of K. Lonsdale.
17 October. Filed, the order with plan annexed for diverting part
of a highway in Mansergh for the length of 356 yards; also part of
another for the length of 413 yards. (K. Indictment Book, 1824–34).
Also on 13 January following for diverting and turning a certain part
of the highway from the north end of the bridge near Mansergh Hall
to a certain other place near the north-west corner of a small enclosure
on the north side of and adjoining to Mansergh Hall for the length of
180 yards. And another order with plan annexed for diverting the
highway from the north-west corner of a small inclosure on the north
side and adjoining Mansergh Hall for the length of 548 yards. K.
Indict. Book, 1824–34.
8 January. Filed the certificate of Edward Tomlinson, Bridge
Master, that Bleabeck Bridge is erected in a substantial and commodious manner and is in complete repair. Ibid.
19 April. John Rowlandson, curate of Mansergh, took the oaths
of allegiance, supremacy and abjuration and made the declaration
required by the Statute 9 George IV. Ibid.
Anthony Battersby Tomlinson and William Talbot were appointed
the Commissioners for awarding the lands inclosed in Mansergh
according to the Act passed in 7 William IV and 1 Victoria, c. 6. The
Award was filed on the Roll of Quarter Sessions 19 October, 1840.
(K. Indict. Book, 1839–52). Among the public and private roads
set out by the Commissioners we find:—Mansergh School Road, one
public bridle and private carriage road of the width of 21 ft. commencing at the end of an ancient lane leading from Old Town to
Rigmaden, at the north-east corner of an ancient inclosure called
Town Ing belonging to William Thompson, esq. and extending in an
easterly direction along the present line of road leading from Old
Town to Rigmaden, over St. Andrew's Green, to the south-east corner
of an ancient inclosure called Long Field belonging to John Addison,
esq. Mansergh Hall Road, one other public bridle and private
carriage road of the width of 21 ft. commencing at the Mansergh
School Road and extending in a southerly direction along the present
line of road leading from Old Town to Mansergh Hall, over St.
Andrew's Green, to the north-east corner of an ancient inclosure
called Low Town Ing, belonging to William Thompson, esq. Mire
Side Road, one other public bridle and private carriage road of the
width of 21 ft. commencing at the Scots Driving Road and extending
in a westerly direction to the north-east corner of an ancient inclosure
called Roundabout belonging to Edward Wilson, esq. Tram Road,
one private carriage and occupation road of the width of 12 ft. for the
purpose only of leading lime and manure, commencing at Hegholme
Road near the Height Fell Gate, and extending in a northerly
direction over the allotment set out to John Brunskill to a gate
leading to an inclosure called Near Pasture thence nearly in the same
direction by the side of an ancient inclosure to the gate leading into
the ancient inclosure called the Tram belonging to Edward Wilson,
esq. Hazlerigg Road, one other private carriage and occupation road
of the width of 12 ft. commencing at the K. Lonsdale and K. Kendale
Turnpike Road and extending in a south-westerly direction along the
west side of the allotment set out to the Overseers of the Poor of
Mansergh, as recreation ground, to an ancient inclosure called
Hazlerigg belonging to Edward Wilson, esq. Stangana Moss Road,
one other private carriage and occupation road, of the width of 12 ft.,
commencing at the Mansergh High Road and extending in a northerly
direction for the length of 154 yards, thence branching off in northwesterly and north-easterly directions to peat mosses severally set
out to William Thompson, Joseph Conder, Edward Wilson, Robert
Goad, Robert Baines Armstrong and John Addison in Stangana
Moss. Hegholme Moss Road, one other private carriage and occupation road of the width of 12 ft., commencing at the gate near the
Height, in Mansergh, and leading out of the Hegholme Road into an
allotment set out to Edward Wilson and extending to peat mosses in
Hegholme Moss severally set out to the Middleton Curacy, Lady le
Fleming and William Moore. Conder's Moss Road, one other private
carriage and occupation road, of the width of 12 ft., commencing at
the Scots Driving Road, and extending in a westerly direction over
an allotment purchased by the late Christopher Wilson from the
Commissioners to a peat moss set out to Joseph Conder. Conder
Deeds at Terry Bank; also Westmorland Gazette for 24 April, 1847.
5 April. Black Brow Bridge has fallen into decay and is in a
dangerous state. The Bridge has never been repaired by the County
hitherto. From all enquiries it was certainly in existence in 1803, it
has always been used by the public and according to Burn's Justice,
30th edition, i, 504, if no immemorial custom to repair can be proved
against the Township or any other person, the County is liable.
(K. Minute Book, 1859–75). On 29 June, 1871, the Committee
appointed to enquire as to the liability of the County, after examining
the oldest inhabitants concluded that the repairs properly belonged
to the County. (Ibid.). The work is now let for a cost of about £60.
On 11 April, 1872, it was reported as satisfactorily finished. Ibid.
15 May. The South Westmorland District Council wrote to the
County Council stating that they had taken over the road leading
from Rigmaden gate to the main Sedbergh-K. Lonsdale road, including
the bridge over the Lune and asking that the bridge be made a
county bridge. It is 151 feet long including the abutments, a stone
arch on the east side with a span of 17 ft. 5 ins., one pier and a steel
girder bridge of 120 ft. span. The width of the carriage way is 12 ft.
4 ins. The approach roads on the east and west are 75 yards and 100
yards respectively. Resolved that the County be recommended to
pay a sum not exceeding one-third of the annual cost of maintenance.
C.C. Minutes, 1923–24.