The Register
Flimby (continued); Aspatria

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Francis Grainger & W.G. Collingwood (editors)

Year published

1929

Supporting documents

Pages

23-24

Citation Show another format:

'The Register: Flimby (continued); Aspatria', Register & Records of Holm Cultram (1929), pp. 23-24. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49482 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Flimby (continued).

53. (C. p. 36).—Robert, archdeacon of Carlisle [1156-c. 1180], recites that Adam the clerk f. Cospatric f. Orm, rector of the church of Camerton, has quitclaimed to Holm abbey in presence of himself, the canons and many others the chapel of Flemingby and all the land of Flemingby that belonged to the mother church of Camerton, i.e. tithes and land which Adam owned in Flemingby, and received from Cospatric his father property in Seton in exchange. Witness—Udard the dean. [No. 49 dates this c. 1174.]

53a. (H. 2).—Adam f. Cospatric, parson of Camerton, after controversy with Holm abbey concerning the tithes of the chapel of Flemingby, quitclaims them to the abbey with any right he had in the chapel, its lands and fisheries; also the fishery on the Derwent. Done before Master 'William,' official, and the general synod at Carlisle. [No Master William is known as official of Carlisle until about 1262 which is far too late for this transaction. The date is likely to be near that of no. 53b, or c. 1200.]

53b. (H. 2)—Adam f. Cospatric, parson of Camerton, after controversy with Holm abbey regarding the tithes of Waitecroft, and considering the exemption from tithes granted by the Pope to the monks, quitclaims these tithes to the abbey. Agreement made before the chapter in St. Cuthbert's church, Carlisle. If nos. 270 and 270a were granted by Innocent 111 in 1198–9, the date of this would be c. 1200.]

54. (C. pp. 36, 37; D. art. 66).—Alicia de Rumeli, daughter of William f. Dunecan, of her free will and by word of mouth during her widowhood, has granted to Holm abbey common of pasture on the moor of Brocton [Broughton moor, adjoining Flimby], part of her fee, for the beasts of their grange at Flemingby. [She was a widow from c. 1210 to 1223.]

[Aspatria.]

54a. (H. 1 and 2; D. art. 78).—Alice de Romelye, daughter of William f. Duncan, in her widowhood grants to Holmcoltran a quarry in a field called Sandwath in Aspatric for building purposes, with right of way, three acres of her demesne in Aspatrik in Northcroft between the crofts formerly of Henry and of Geoffrey, and common pasture for ten oxen, ten cows, one bull, two horses and 40 (or in one MS. 60) sheep. [Sandwith is a mile north of Aspatria church. Date c. 1210–23.]