The Register
Islekirk and royal charters (continued)

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Francis Grainger & W.G. Collingwood (editors)

Year published

1929

Supporting documents

Pages

78-79

Citation Show another format:

'The Register: Islekirk and royal charters (continued)', Register & Records of Holm Cultram (1929), pp. 78-79. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49519 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Islekirk (continued).

225. (C. p. 169; D. art. 52).—Thomas de Lascel has inspected and confirms King John's and King Henry's charters [nos. 217, 218] concerning the hermitage of St. Hilda. He allows to the monks of Holm pasture for cattle, etc. and right of way in his wood of Bothilton [Bolton] but they are not to take green wood without leave. Their pigs can feed there except in time of pannage, and if they stray out of bounds they are to be driven back without damage. The abbey is to allow him to assart a piece of his wood, if the king permits, and this will not be a loss to the abbey pasture. Witnesses [from H. 1]—Sir John de Daivill, justice of the Forest on this side Trent, Thomas de Multon, William de Dak[er], William de Vallibus, Richard Laton, Radulph de Glasson, Richard de Neuton, Robert de Mulcaster, Thomas de Bello Campo, Ysaac de Ireby, etc. [c. 1227.]

225 a. (H. 2).—Pope Honorius [III] sanctions the abbey's possession of the hermitage of St. Hilda in Englewode, granted by the late King John [1217?]

Royal Charters (continued).

226. (C. p. 170; D. art. 22).—Henry [III], king of England, etc. grants to Holmcoltran all the gifts made by Hugh de Morvill, of pasture at Laysingby [etc. as no. 26]; also the gift of Thomas de Multon of pasture at Leisingby [no. 29]; of Robert de Turp at Edenhal [no. 44] and of Bricius de Penret the serjeant at Saint Wilfriholm [no. 48] and confirms them. Witnesses—William de Valencia and Geoffrey de Lusignan (Lezinnan) the king's [half-] brothers [and from H. 2] John de Warenne, Edmund de Lacy, etc. Given by the king's hand at Chivelingham [Chillingham in Northumberland], December [H. 2 reads September] 5th in his 39th year [1254].

226 a. (C. p. 171).—Repeats no. 108.

227. (C. p. 172).—King Henry [III] grants pardon to Holm abbey for trespasses and wastes in the royal forest of Engelwude, about which claim has been made before Geoffrey de Langeley and his fellow-justices of the forest in Cumberland. The dykes and hedges made by the monks are permitted, but they must not make any more. At Windeshor', April 23rd, 36 Henry [1252. Record is made in P.R. 1252–3 of a payment of 200 marks by Holmcoltram for trespass and waste in Engelwode forest.]

228. (C. pp. 173–181).—Magna Carta, as renewed by Henry III.

229. (C. pp. 182–187).—The great charter of the Forest, given by Henry III. [These two are omitted here as not of local interest; they are printed in Statutes of the Realm, i. Many of the Papal bulls are also in general terms, and therefore passed over slightly in this abstract of the Register.]