||Dalton, Crakehill and Elmire, Topcliffe par. The last place is called in Kirkby's Inquest (p. 323), Elmetemere and Eluedmere.
||In 1304 Galuan de Twenge, rector of Lythum, now Kirkleatham, near Redcar, had licence to hear divine service for three years in his manor of Elvetemere, par. Topclyve (Reg. Greenfield, ii. 98). In 1338, by the liberality of Sir William Darell, Knt., lord of Ceszay, a chantry was ordained in the chapel of St. Giles of Elvedmere, and endowed with lands in Crakhale and Elvedmere, Thomas, son of Gregory of Topcliffe, being then chaplain (Reg. Melton, fo. 264b).
||In relation to Gristhwaite we get the following information from the Inq. p.m. of Henry de Percy, taken in 1314. "There are in the hamlet of Gristhwait four tenants in bondage, and six cotters (coterelli), paying 4li a year. A water-mill worth 20s a year, and no more, because the said hamlet was burnt and destroyed, and those who were tenants there killed by the Scots" (Inq. p.m. 8 Edw. II. No. 65, m. 16).
||His Inq. p. m. was taken at Topcliffe on Tuesday before All Saints' Day (Oct. 29th, 1314). He held the manor of Topclive in chief by knight service. The capital messuage and garden there
only worth 6s 8d, because the buildings
were in great want of repair (quia multum indiget in reparacione domorum).
Manor of Kirke Levington held by the
same tenure. The capital messuage
and garden worth 20s; rent of assise,
7li 6s 7d; windmill, 26s 8d; 12 messuages
and 12 bovates, 6li 6s; cottages, 22s;
in all, 17li16d. The capital messuage
at Semer by Scarborough, worth 12s.;
a wood called Ravenesclif (now Raincliff wood, between Scarborough and
Hackness), 30s; a pasture called Youcok', 20s; a windmill, 46s 8d; a watermill called Roice Mill, 26s 8d; another
called by Milne, 68s 8d; worth in all,
64li 3s 6d. In another Inquisition, it
is stated that there were in the vill of
Topclif certain cotters (coterelli) and
tenants at will, paying 4li a year, and
no more, because the others who had
been tenants there had been destroyed
by enemies from Scotland (destructi
sunt per inimicos Scocie). Henry, his
son and heir, aged fourteen years and
nine months (Ibid.). The proof of age
of his heir, though very much defaced,
is still extant. From this document,
which is dated Feb. 26th, 1322–3, it
appears that the heir was born at
Leckonfield on Feb. 6, twenty-one years
previously, and was baptized the next
day by Henry de Hoton, Prior of Watton,
in the church of All Saints', at Leckonfield. Sir John de Hothum, Knt., aged
sixty, remembered the fact, because he
was godfather with Henry de Lyndale.
Sir Alexander de Cave, Knt., aged sixty,
because he was then "de retinencia
Henrici, patris ipsius Henrici," and
often saw the infant lying in his cradle.
Sir Roger de Somerville, Knt., aged
forty-one, because he married a daughter
of Sir John de Sutton, Knt., which
John had a son John, born on the same
day (Inq. p. m. 16 Ed. II. No. 87).
||Catton, Topcliffe par.
||Dale Town, Hawnby par.
||Low or Nether Silton, Leake par.
||Boltby, Feliskirk par.
||Borrowby, Leake par.
||In relation to this place, Mr. Scaife gives the following note: "The vill of Ravensthorpe has disappeared, but the moat which once nearly surrounded its ancient manor-house may still be traced in a field near to Ravensthorpe Mill, about one mile south of Boltby" (Kirkby's Inquest, 97n). It is in the township of Boltby and parish of Feliskirk.
||His Inq. p. m. was taken at Birdforth on Thursday, the feast of the Decollation of St. John Baptist (Aug. 29th, 1308), by which it appears that he held this manor by knight service of Lady Joan Wake, in right of Eva, late his wife; perhaps the same person as Eva, the wife of Richard Knoute, who is mentioned as holding the manor in 1284–5 (Kirkby's Inquest, p. 97). The Inquisition further states that there was a manor there, and that the produce of the herbage of the garden was worth half a marc a year. In demesne 24 bovates of land (at 5s the bovate). Sum 6li. In demesne 4 score acres of meadow (at 2s the acre). Sum 8li. A free tenant, John Fransais, who held by service of suit of court every three weeks, and paid nothing. Five bonders, namely, Peter Forman (Prepositus), Adam le Verder, Simon Kirkman (ad Ecclesiam), Matilda, wife of Henry, and Robert Tod, each of whom held 4 bovates of land (at 5s the bovate). Sum 5li. Three bonders, namely, Walter Wakeman, Robert Spendlof and Alice the widow, each of whom held 3 bovates (at 5s the bovate). Sum 45s. The bonders paid their rent twice a year, at Whitsontide and Michaelmas. Eleven cottars, each paying 2s at the same terms. Sum 22s. Eighteen cottars paying 8d apiece, at the said terms. Sum 12s. A watermill, worth 5li a year. The pleas and perquisites of court, 40d. A pasture, the agistment (ingestura) of which was worth half a marc. The pannage and underwood of a wood there also worth half a marc. Sum of the whole extent yearly, 29li 2s 4d. Sir John de Walkingham, the son of Alan de Walkingham and son of the said Eva, was Eva's next heir, and of the age of twenty-four years. Cantilupe also died seised "per curialitatem et legem Anglie" of a rent of 40 marcs a year, arising from a messuage and 4 bovates in Bridlington, part of the inheritance of Matilda, formerly his wife. William de Erghum, aged forty, and Thomas de Outheneby, aged twentysix, were her heirs. They were the descendants of Christian and Joan, sisters of Osbert de Arches (Hunter's S. Yorks., ii. 161). Cantilupe's own heir was his son William, aged fifteen. It appears from one of the Inquisitions that Cantilupe's mother was Eustachia, niece and heiress of Peter de la Hay, and that she married secondly William. de Roos of Ingmanthorpe (Inq. p.m.2 Ed. II. No. 51). Her second husbanddied about 1309, seised by the law of England, as of the inheritance of Eustachia, formerly his wife, of the manor of Ilkesdon in Derbyshire, which was held of Henry de Bello monte of the fee of Gaunt, by homage and the service of one knight's fee. William, son of William de Kaunteloupo, aged eighteen, was Eustachia's heir (Ibid.3 Edw. II. No. 5a).
||Carlton Miniot, Thirsk par.
||Thirlby, Feliskirk par.
||Domesday Cucvalt, now Coxwold. Jan. 7th, 1303–4. Dunfermelyn. Grant to Thomas de Coleville of a market on Wednesdays at his manor of Cokewald, and of a fair on the eve and day of the Assumption of the Blessed Mary, i.e., Aug. 15th (Charter Roll. 32 Edw. I. No. 99).
||High or Over Silton.
||East Harlsey. The Priory of Mount
Grace occupies the site of the manor of
Borthelby. Morton, in the parish of
East Harlsey, was a grange of Rievaulx.
Aug. 24th, 1310. Sledemere. Grant
to Geoffrey de Hotham of freewarren in all his demesne lands of Craunceuyke, Hoton near Crawncewyke, Laxinton, Bordelby near Herlessey and Foul Sutton; and of a market on Tuesdays at his manor of Craunceuyke, and a fair there on the eve, day and morrow of St. Bartholomew the Apostle (Charter Roll. 4 Edw. II. No. 28).
||In the parishes of Cowesby and Leake. June 16th, 1311. Berwick-onTweed. Grant to Ingelram Knout of freewarren in all his demesne lands of Kepewyke (Ibid. No. 11).
||Upsall, South Kilvington par.
||Sowerby by Thirsk.
||The specification of a curious office. —J. C. A.
||Thornton-on-the-Hill and Baxby, Coxwold par.
||Newsham, Kirkby Wiske par.
||Skipton-on-Swale, Topcliffe par.
||At the time of Kirkby's Inquest (p. 96) Jordan Folyot held land in Cowesby.
||Kirkby Knowle par.
||Yearsley, Coxwold par.
||Oulston, in the same parish.
||Birdforth. May 24th, 1253. Wind
sor. Grant to Thomas Maunsell and
Richard Maunsell of freewarren in all
their demesne lands of Brudeford, and
of a market there on Thursdays, and a
fair on the eve, day and morrow of the
Nativity of the Blessed Mary (Sept.8th).
(Charter Roll. 37 Hen. III. m. 13.)
||Breckenborough, Kirkby Wiske par.
||Islebeck, Kirkby Knowle par.